Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-92 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 92 Monday, 11 December 1995 Today's Topics: They Might Be Giants In Dutch John Henry Import videos and stuff Re: John Henry Import you might try this Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- There have been a lot of off topic posts, people posting the list rules for me, and people not on the list posting to the list lately. This will no longer be tolerated. The list has been reconfigured to allow only posts from the address that you subscribed from. I will _NOT_ be hand approving posts from other sites, they will be deleted. Please see my post to the list for more information. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 09 Dec 1995 22:15:00 +0100 From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: They Might Be Giants In Dutch Organization: Not yet really definable Ze zouden best wel eens reuzen kunnen zijn. Although this is a bit more freely translated, as the direct translation sort of doesn't work the way it does in English. In German: Sie koennen Riesen sein (although again, the translation takes away some of the 'power' of *might*). (oe = o-umlaut) I'm not that good in French, so I won't do that. I know a girl from _Greece_, although I haven't seen her for over a month. Maybe when I see her I'll ask her about it . -- _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) 2:280/704.21 (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl pgp@aquawolf.xs4all.nl for my Public PGP Key | info@aquawolf.xs4all.nl for a summary of all the mailbots active at this site | PGP-KeyID: E1F72D51 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 11:28:30 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: John Henry Import Dear All, Just noticed that someone was asking about the John Henry Aussie import with the free ep. I've got it. It's a few songs off Live in NY and is very good - the version of The Statue Got Me High is far better than the album version. There are six songs on it - Birdhouse in Your Soul, The Statue Got Me High, Ana Ng, Don't Let's Start, Particle Man... something like that, anyway. I got it for 20 quid and I was well pleased with it - but then CDs are more expensive in Britain, anyway. Mark ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: videos and stuff Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 15:59:46 +0000 (GMT) ...please be patient with me; this is my first attempt at e-mail! I can't speak for any other Brits, but my copy of the video (bought from Boots the Chemist in Bromley for less than a fiver, and I kid you not) has Birdhouse and Istanbul on it too. Not that I wouldn't love another one- I've not got MTV, and haven't seen any others of Their videos. This is the only time Elektra has been nice to us Europeans: my copy of Back To Skull had Ondine knocked off. On another topic; my mum is a social worker on the John Henry team at the John Henry Neighbourhood Office (locally known as John Henry), and she started work there the day John Henry the Album was released! Even my Giants-disliking mother thought this was pretty weird... Nicola ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: Re: John Henry Import Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 10:49:32 -0800 (PST) > Dear All, > > Just noticed that someone was asking about the John Henry Aussie > import with the free ep. I've got it. It's a few songs off Live in NY and > is very good - the version of The Statue Got Me High is far better than > the album version. There are six songs on it - Birdhouse in Your Soul, The > Statue Got Me High, Ana Ng, Don't Let's Start, Particle Man... something > like that, anyway. > I got it for 20 quid and I was well pleased with it - but then CDs > are more expensive in Britain, anyway. > > Mark How much is that in dollars? Mine cost $34 dollars, I live in CA. (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago **CHECK THE NEW SIG OUT!!!** "I could never sleep my way to the top, 'Cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up..." --Guess who *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 20:47:00 -0600 Subject: you might try this From: Roger How about setting up the mail list server thing to automatically send out the FAQ thingy to each new member and that's it? That way, current members don't have to keep reading it, and new members are put right at the start. just a thought... roger Roger's Daily Quote: Guess the correct author and win a prize *------------------------------------------------------------------------- *------------------------------------- "If you want to know what god thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to" *------------------------------------------------------------------------- *------------------------------------- Roger Suski o Southern Illinois University o RSuski@siu.edu ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Subject: Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 21:20:51 -0700 >Along the same lines...I'd just like to know who would cover TMBG. Not >your dream covers, mind you, but who seems to cite Them as an influence. >Post or private, as you will, this may actually be a new thread. Oooooh, ooooh, good question! I'd have to say that i'd most like to hear Them covered by Barenaked Ladies, though I think that the band most influenced by Them is Ed's Redeeming Qualities (Or at least they sound a whole bunch like they were)... -Rabid Child (Motzart's in the stereo, Jane Eyre's on the bed.) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-92 *****************************