Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-94 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 94 Wednesday, 13 December 1995 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-93 THE BAND that big band-ola TMBG live CD Re: da band! the chair of goodness and beauty Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-93 BAND LIST the band. afj Re: the band. The Chair of Beauty and Goodness east coast Single Albums band list Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-93 Re: T!M@B#G$ Op We're Giants! Live & Rare RE: afj I can do languages too. Wheeeee! TMBG in Philly! I wanna play! Re: That band thing again. sheet music?? TMBG in gibberish Re: I can do languages too. Random chaos... here's the deal- Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 21:55:41 +1000 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-93 >P.S. Yeah, it's cool they played Constellation on national TV, but they >pronounced my name wrong! Ah well. How do you pronounce it, just for interests sake? Um about the band, I think it's a great idea and if you do it right, it could happen, minus me, because of course, I'm on the wrong continent, BUT, if you had some wonderful person lend you the right equipment you could make a record and sell it to Elektra to asppear on the Freaksicle Real Album and make a mint! Yeah! Rock on! And because it was my idea, i demand a thrid of all profits! (not!) PS I think it shoul be a cover of a song that hasn't appeared on any TMBG albums, but is a cool song none the less..I'd volunteer something by ABBA... MICHAEL CARR ******************************************************** "Beware of geeks bearing gifs." Note: soon my email will be budholly@earthlight.co.nz! You have been warned! ******************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 07:19:44 -0500 Subject: THE BAND From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) Ok here's my idea. Everyone who wants to be in this band write me personally and tell me your name where you live and what you play. I'll make a list with all these names and post it that way people in the same area could get together. So go ahead and start writing. Oh yeah on the subject line put "band list." My address is grant3@usa.pipeline.com.... -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say your only kidding." -TMBG- Mr. Klaw...... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 95 08:16:34 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: that big band-ola hey, count me in! i play french horn, and i also can play birdhouse in yuour soul on piano (i have the sheet music). yay! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 08:41:47 -0400 (EDT) From: WAKKO WARNER Subject: TMBG live CD Organization: University of North Carolina at Asheville Those of you that own the Live CD that everybody in talking about recently...Where were you fortunate enough to buy this cd. I have been looking everywhere and can not find it. Can anyone please help me out with this...or if you can buy it for me and then ship it. Something!!! Thanks, David P. Wilson ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 09:38:05 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: Re: da band! Hey guys, THe Idea of starting a They cover band sounds good. I also play bass. I however live in the midwest. maybe I could produce the album. who knows. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 11:11:37 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: the chair of goodness and beauty i was in a 3-D design class last semester, and i created a really sturdy, fun cardboard chair. it looked like something out of alice in wonderland because it was really huge, and when you sat in it, you looked like a midget. but that was before i took a hacksaw to it. and now it is small. but sophie (copy shop clerk) and i have a great idea of what we are going to do with it. we are going to convert the ol thing into a TMBG chair of wonder. i am going to draw the snowman on the seat back, and we are going to write the songs all over it, and write at the top, "frosty the supervisor sits by himself" when we finally get it finished, we are planning on taking a picture of it and sendingit to the newsletter. so maybe you guys will see us in the next issue......(me crosses my fingers in wishful thinking).... actually, soph and i also have an idea to paint this ugly yellow station wagon of hers with a TMBG motif. that idea might take a longer time period to complete. oh well, wish us luck. there for but the grace of the list go we. aims ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ "Is it not strange that sheep's guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?" -Much Ado About Nothing aimee elisabeth pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 14:13:37 -0500 From: SANDLER KAREN M Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-93 I can play the bassoon, tenor sax or bass clarinet (yay savoir-faire!) I can also sing backups - what an impressive theme from Flood we could have! I say make it in NYC - john and john did! -Karen ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 14:21:38 -0500 Subject: BAND LIST From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) Ok here it is. if i have left out any names or any information is in corect I'll fix. I'll keep posting as I get a few more names. but without anymore delay..... 1)Fran-aka-The Vonnegut Vassal-Plays Cello and sings. From Ithaca, NY during school and near Lancaster, PA over breaks... 2)Jenny-aka-She-ra Princess of Power-Sorta plays piano, sings. From Texas... 3)Kerry Leanne Smith-Plays Trombone and most other low brass instruments. >From North Carolina... 4)Jeanette Frost-Plays unknown. From Iselin, NJ from 12-23 to 1-22 and Trenton NJ from 1-23 to 5-something. 5)Amie Longenbaugh-Plays viola/violin, mallets, tympani. From Arlington Texas... 6)Sara Smith-aka-Copy shop clerk-Plays piano, a little flute, and kazoo. >From Bloomington, Indiana... -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say your only kidding." -TMBG- Mr. Klaw...... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 14:54:19 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: the band. i can sing ok so maybe i can do back up vocals. i could also do lighting and other roadie and techie type stuff. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 14:58:49 -0500 Subject: afj From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) bored -- Rabbit Ears ------------------------------ From: KShumwayUT@aol.com Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 15:06:24 -0500 Subject: Re: the band. I just would like you all to know that I can play the trumpet and tuba. I was feeling left out (j/k) so I had to thow that in...... "what's that blue thing doing here?" TMBG Fingertips.... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 15:07:39 -0500 (EST) From: Copy shop clerk Subject: The Chair of Beauty and Goodness Hi there. aimee and i are making that crazy chair/shrine to our favorite band, and have come across a problem. we need somebody with the Dial-A-Song/ Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love t-shirt to email us. we need to know the colors on the logo etc. for our painting. and ALSO.... a while back a list of songs They sang in concert (like Frankenstein, Um.... I wanna be sedated was in it too i think...) and we need to have that list privately sent to us so we can copy all of those songs onto our chair. sheesh. we are not even two hours into this project and we are alrady having troubles. thanks for your help, and anybody with suggestion, we are all ears. Soph "Welcome to America, give me all of your sausage." `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'` Sara "Warrior Princess" Smith "We're in the Western Hemisphere, Indiana University right?" Wright Quad -Aimee Pflieger sarsmith@othello.ucs.indiana.edu `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 95 15:40 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: east coast i live in pennsylvania. ------------------------------ From: "Kerry Leanne Smith" Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 16:10:53 -0500 Subject: Single Albums i am looking for any tmbg single albums other than why does the sun shine? especially the ones out of print.. please write to me if you know of where i can find them or if you are interested in selling them to me... please write to me personally, thanks. -- +==============================================================+ | Kerry Smith ___________/| | | klsmith2@eos.ncsu.edu (_|____|____\|_______ | | Sophomore, Computer Science >|_|___________)' | | North Carolina State University | | http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/k/klsmith2/mosaic/index.html | +==============================================================+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 16:14:17 -0500 Subject: band list From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) Ok here it is again. I think after now I'll post this list once every 2 days. For any changes make sure to write me with the subject line band list. 1)Fran-aka-The Vonnegut Vassal-Plays Cello and sings. From Ithaca, NY during school and near Lancaster, PA over breaks... 2)Jenny-aka-She-ra Princess of Power-Sorta plays piano, sings. From Texas... 3)Kerry Leanne Smith-Plays Trombone and most other low brass instruments. >From North Carolina... 4)Jeanette Frost-Plays unknown. From Iselin, NJ from 12-23 to 1-22 and Trenton NJ from 1-23 to 5-something. 5)Amie Longenbaugh-Plays viola/violin, mallets, tympani. From Arlington Texas... 6)Sara Smith-aka-Copy shop clerk-Plays piano, a little flute, and kazoo. >From Bloomington, Indiana... 7)Karen Sandler-Plays TenorSax, and Bass Clarinet. From Nyc(I think) 8)Sloan Poe-aka-Mr. Klaw-Plays Bari-Sax. From Greenville, South Carolina. 9)Alex Dresko-aka-Rabid Ears-Plays Tenor sax. From Greenville, South Carolina. 10)Katrina Hockin-Plays piano. From Chicago. 11)The Rentals-Plays guitar, violin, sings. From Texas... 12)Jamie Jim Joe Junior-Plays guitar. From Hazleton, Pennsylvania.... -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say your only kidding." -TMBG- Mr. Klaw...... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 17:12:03 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-93 >>P.S. Yeah, it's cool they played Constellation on national TV, but they >>pronounced my name wrong! Ah well. >How do you pronounce it, just for interests sake? Chaff-er like it looks, with a short "a," instead of Chay-fer with a long "a". This is just plain wrong. :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 17:16:04 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: T!M@B#G$ >here is my sofar compiled list of how to say They Might Be Giants in foreign >languages, thanks to all who contributed... According to the "Dialectic Filters" extension in BBEdit: *Swedish Chef Zeey Meeght Be-a Geeunts *Elmer Fudd Dey Might Be Giants *Ye Olde English Theye Mightte Be Genets *WAREZ Speak THEY M1GHT B G1ANT5!!! *Pig Latin Eythay Ightmay Ebay Iantsgay *Rot13 Encryption Gurl Zvtug Or Tvnagf *Morse Code -.....-.-- --..--.....- -.... --....--.-... *Underwater Speech Thuhbey Muhbight Buhbe Guhbiuhbants *"Op" Code Thopey Mopight Bope Gopiants +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Op Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 17:30:41 -0500 (EST) > >here is my sofar compiled list of how to say They Might Be Giants in foreign > >languages, thanks to all who contributed... > > According to the "Dialectic Filters" extension in BBEdit: > > *Swedish Chef > Zeey Meeght Be-a Geeunts > > *Elmer Fudd > Dey Might Be Giants > > *Ye Olde English > Theye Mightte Be Genets > > *WAREZ Speak > THEY M1GHT B G1ANT5!!! > > *Pig Latin > Eythay Ightmay Ebay Iantsgay > > *Rot13 Encryption > Gurl Zvtug Or Tvnagf > > *Morse Code > -.....-.-- --..--.....- -.... --....--.-... > > *Underwater Speech > Thuhbey Muhbight Buhbe Guhbiuhbants > > *"Op" Code > Thopey Mopight Bope Gopiants Oh my gosh, you know Op! I know op very well, some friends of mine speak it all of the time. We speak Carney, too which would be Thearseey Mearseight Bearsee Gearseiearseants. -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 16:58:42 -0600 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) Subject: We're Giants! Live & Rare gregb@westworld.com (Greg Benson) wrote: >> They) told me there's a TMBG live/rarities (maybe >>bootleg?) CD from Japan called "We're Giants." They tried to order it for >>me, but to no avail. Has anyone heard of or seen this mysterious CD? "We're Giants (Live & Rare)" is a Japanese import of Miscellaneous T. That's it. Not live; not rare. Caveat emptor. Vix <---I was an 'i' and now I am a 'v.' *--------------------------------------------------------------- Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen 758 WARF/610 Walnut St. CHS Public Affairs Madison WI 53705 (608) 263-3466 Fax: (608) 263-6394 ------------------------------ Date: 12 Dec 1995 14:26:00 -0800 From: "GOODPASTURE Ryan" Subject: RE: afj > bored -- Rabbit Ears "the rain falls down without my help i'm afraid" no being bored over here in salem, OR! lots of trees and power lines and windows and even aluminum buildings flying all over the place! love that wind! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 20:00:21 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: I can do languages too. Ok, here's "They Might Be Giants" in: Fuddy-dud tud-huddy-yud mud-eye-gud-hud-tud buddy gud-eye-ay-nud-tud-sud Drunken speech Thay mi-yi-ght beeeeeeeeee gi-antsh Backwards by word Yeht Thgim Eb Stnaig And that's all I could think of, but I'm sure there's something else.... :) Luv, 'Nette --do-not-read-below-this-line-if-you-don't-like-it!!-- <<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>> "Good night, everybody!" - Yakko *------------------------------------------------------ Q of the week! Exactly how many licks DOES it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? *------------------------------------------------------ Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) <<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>> ------------------------------ From: SAH9@JAGUAR.UOFS.EDU Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 20:39:15 -0500 (EST) Subject: Wheeeee! TMBG in Philly! Hi guys! This is cortney! I am so so excited - I just picked up my TMBG tix (for the Philly show) last night!!! Wheeee! I've lived and breathed TMBG for at least the last 5 years, but everytime I thought that I might actually get to see them live, something crazy would happen and I wouldn't get to go! 8 ( Soooooo, I'm about ready to burst about this Trocadero show! This concert will make my Christmas! Santa could skip right over my house, and I wouldn't even care!!! However, I have a *HUGE* favor to ask you guys... Well, seeing that this is my first official TMBG show and everything, I would just *love* to have it on tape...kind of a souvenier! So, if there are any tapers at all out there, please Please PLEASE!!!! help me out!!! I really want to have this show for posterity! So, if anybody can help, please email me at: ck8@jaguar.uofs.edu (p.s. just ignore the address on this message...I'm not in my own account!) Oh, also, I have a few questions for you guys..... 1. Um, first I heard that Frank Black was going to open for TMBG, but my tix said that it was a group called the "Martini's." Have any of you heard them? Are they any good? (Hey, if they're opening for TMBG, I'm sure they are!) 2. My ticket numbers were 65 and 66 - that doesn;t meant that only 66 people bought tickets, does it? If so, that sould be really cool - up close and personal with the John's!!!!!! Well, that's about it! Please email me with any taper info or answers to my q's! Sorry for such a long post! Thanks again! sun and smiles cortney 8 ) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 21:03:26 +0500 From: Patrick Savage Subject: I wanna play! > If anyone's been not paying attention, here's what's going on. If you, or > anyoneyou know plays an unusual instrument, you too can join our "we > wanna be TMBG" group!! This is becoming monstrously huge, but if we can > find a place that seats 500 (just on the stage), it may happen!! I think I could play the glockenspiel if someone told me which note to hit in Shoehorn :). Brian always looks like he's having so much fun when he does it. Pat --- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 21:03:21 +0500 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Re: That band thing again. "Kerry Leanne Smith" wrote: >> Ok, who lives on the east coast? > >hey i'm in north carolina!!! anyone else around this area? I'm in North Carolina too!! Not far from NC State as a matter of fact. 'Cept I'm moving soon back to Virginia. WKNC is playing They _right now_! Cool. Man I'm gonna miss this station. Pat --- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 95 21:26:40 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (september days) Subject: sheet music?? >hey, count me in! i play french horn, and i also can play birdhouse in yuour >soul on piano (i have the sheet music). yay! > >peace, > >anne where did you get sheet music for that song? i can't find any piano sheet music for them... which reminds me, i play the piano and live near philly! i'm also a tech type person. writing for the first time, jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter _________________________________________________________________ e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it. ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 21:56:17 EST Subject: TMBG in gibberish Tithigay Mithigeyet Bithigee Githigeyeithigants.... Is this just a New England kids language or does anybody else know it?? Tara :) ------------------------------ From: "Kerry Leanne Smith" Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 23:50:22 -0500 Subject: Re: I can do languages too. > Fuddy-dud > tud-huddy-yud mud-eye-gud-hud-tud buddy gud-eye-ay-nud-tud-sud > > any one know double - b? theybey mibight bebe gibiabants ;) -- +==============================================================+ | Kerry Smith ___________/| | | klsmith2@eos.ncsu.edu (_|____|____\|_______ | | Sophomore, Computer Science >|_|___________)' | | North Carolina State University | | http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/k/klsmith2/mosaic/index.html | +==============================================================+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 23:25:59 -0800 (PST) From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: Random chaos... here's the deal- Okay, I survived finals, and a severe system crash that had me without access to my account for a week. I'm sure it was bouncing messages all over the place and pissing some people off too. I apologize, but I can't take responsibility for it or anything . Anyway, here's the deal- I lost a lot of mail during the crash, and was in the middle of several trades for the "Power of Dial-A-Song" tape. So I'm asking everyone (who is still interested) to contact me again with their information, unless I've already mailed your tape or contacted you by email today. I pretty much lost the entire month of December, and the chances of it coming back don't look good. Pretty depressing, eh? Looking forward to hearing about those New Year's shows... Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + // kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / murmur@teleport.com / kbiggs@efn.org // + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-94 *****************************