Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 96 Friday, 15 December 1995 Today's Topics: Re: Wheeeee! TMBG in Philly! Hello CDs (none) playing Nixon (none) you know.. Re: Impress your friends! Re: your mail Re: Impress your friends! animaniacs Istanbul Brownsville Mix Web Site fixes Re: animaniacs Leno tmbg on Mtv RE: tmbg on Mtv Green Glass Door Leno (none) Re: Leno tmbg on good morning america Re: tmbg on Mtv Letterman RE: Istanbul Brownsville Mix tmbg in school i should be allowed... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: snoyL leahciM Date: Thu, 14 Dec 95 11:58:11 EST Subject: Re: Wheeeee! TMBG in Philly! The Martinis are a pretty new group. Joey Santiago and David Lovering (former guitarist and drummer, respectively, for the Pixies, aka Frank Black's ex-group) are the main memebers, along with a female vocalist and a bassist I've never heard of. I don't think they've released anything yet, but I've heard people say they're good live. Michael Lyons mtl6s@virginia.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 09:11:40 -0800 From: gregb@westworld.com (Greg Benson) Subject: Hello CDs Got a few Hello CDs from 1993 I'l like to sell or trade: BRIAN DEWAN (March 93) FRANK BLACK (Nov. 93) (Is it just me, or does he sound like Donovan?) THE MINUS FIVE (Dec. 93-Jan. 94) DUPLEX HALLOWEEN PLANET (Oct. 93) HELLO CD WANT LIST: LINNELL or FLANSBURGH (Of course), FREEDY JOHNSTON, ANDY PARTRIDGE. Would prefer to trade, but will sell if I get no trade offers. Hey! Has anybody heard the song "Allison" thet TMBG did for the Gordon Gano film "Hitting the Ground?" Has the film even come out? Or a soundtrack album? And did the second Mountain Stage Live they did earlier this year ever air? ------------------------------ From: safielding@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:46:39 EST I would love to be part of one of the TMBG cover bands, but unfortunately, I don't play anything. But I'm sure that just for the occasion I could handle playing the kazoo or triangle or something like that. So anyone who is in the Philadelphia region write to either Tara or I, becuase we think it would just be 'giant' fun to make a band! Sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 09:48:20 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: playing Does anyone in the Portland OR area play anything? I can play piano, and accordian. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:51:41 +0700 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: Nixon ................................................................................ Okay. There's an Oliver Stone film coming out soon about Nixon. Anyway, I was watching TV a couple of minutes ago. I saw a trailer for the movie which showed quotes from different critics. It went something like this: "Entertainment Weekly calls "Nixon" the best film of the year." Then it continued: "Joel Siegel of Good Morning America says, "Nixon's the one!" My chin dropped! I'm not sure about this, but I think that "Nixon's the one," might have been the slogan during the race for the presidency, but I wonder if Mr. Siegel knows about The Hello CD of the month club. He should. I think we should organize a grass roots effort to make Joel aware of TMBG and Hello. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 95 15:36:13 EST From: Justin Richmond This board licks. I have read nothing informative in the three months I have been a part of it. Good luck with your cover bands. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 15:59:41 -0500 Subject: you know.. From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) you know, one of you could be nice and play santa and send me live in ny for christmas? -- :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 15:46:53 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Impress your friends! > actually, i believe that if we record ourselves while anther quiet playing > CD is playing through headphone or something, then it just might work? > sloan and i can try it out and then combine our tapes.. i think it will > work... but hey, what do i know.. > :Rabbit Ears: > Hey, that might actually work! I had not thought of that.... cool. Okay, so I've a 4-track. If anybody wants to do that, e'mail me lebo@locke.ccil.org cool. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 16:40:49 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: your mail Hi!! I'm in NJ, only an hour from Philly. And I need a triangle player (but "triangle girl" would not be a good song........)!! Write me back soon, ok? Luv, 'Nette `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu *------------------------------------------------------------- Q of the week: Is caffeine really your friend? *------------------------------------------------------------- "The porpoise is laughing; good-bye, good-bye." The Monkees `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 15:59:38 -0500 Subject: Re: Impress your friends! From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) On Dec 14, 1995 15:46:53, '"Michael C. Lebovitz" ' wrote: >> actually, i believe that if we record ourselves while anther quiet playing >> CD is playing through headphone or something, then it just might work? >> sloan and i can try it out and then combine our tapes.. i think it will >> work... but hey, what do i know.. >> :Rabbit Ears: >> > >Hey, that might actually work! I had not thought of that.... cool. >Okay, so I've a 4-track. If anybody wants to do that, e'mail me > >lebo@locke.ccil.org > >cool. > -- i'll start trying to put together a couple of songs so we can get things going.... yippie!! :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 95 13:53:09 EST From: Mike Orsega Subject: animaniacs well im sure there MUST be someone out there who has taped the tmbg episode of animaniacs.....willing to trade a copy? all i have is a tmbg apperance on jay leno (yuk) from the summer of 1992...along with a pretty strange interview, j and j play 'the guitar' and 'the statue got me high' any takers morsega@uga.cc.uga.edu mike "Watch the Sneak!" ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Istanbul Brownsville Mix Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 17:20:10 -0500 (EST) I don't know if anyone on this list has ever listened to Kraftwerk before but I was listening to the Brownsville Mix of Istanbul and noticed that from 1:48-1:33 before the song ends there is this weird robotic voice that says something that I can't quite make out and it sounds like it's from a song by Kraftwerk and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 17:45:24 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Web Site fixes >This board licks. I have read nothing informative in the three months Thanks for contributing. :-) Anyway, I have fixed some HTML problems scattered throughout the web site that caused links to break in Mosaic 2.0. If you've had problems before I apologize, but they *should* be fixed now. Let me know if they're not. The address is, as always, http://www.tmbg.org/ +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 17:41:28 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: animaniacs Well, it was Tiny Toons, not Animaniacs..... :) close enough, though. I don't have the tape, although I would kill for the Leno tape. Maybe we can make some other arrangements? (oh please?) Luv, 'Nette `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu *------------------------------------------------------------- Q of the week: Is caffeine really your friend? *------------------------------------------------------------- "The porpoise is laughing; good-bye, good-bye." The Monkees `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:05:15 -0500 (EST) From: jpenney@CLEMSON.EDU (Col) Subject: Leno I might have the leno tape. i'll check while i am home for christmas. i'll write back in January. "I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed."--They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com (Jay Brotz) Date: 14 Dec 95 08:04:00 -0500 Subject: tmbg on Mtv Organization: Med TechNet I was watching Mtv Beachhouse one day this summer (dont ask why) and as they were going to a commercial they played the music to Snail Shell! I found it a highly unlikely place to play it but it was unmistakable. Did anyone else hear it? j -- |Internet: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com |Fidonet: Jay Brotz 1:260/95 | | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own. ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:41:15 EST Subject: RE: tmbg on Mtv Snail Shell was also played in the background on Singled Out. (what a terrible show that is.....) Wacky! Tara ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Green Glass Door Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:45:52 -0500 (EST) > But Linell is in the green glass room > Well, that's assuming that the green glass room is behind the green glass door. But Flansburgh is not behind the green glass door. -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Leno Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:47:45 -0500 (EST) > I might have the leno tape. i'll check while i am home for christmas. > i'll write back in January. > > "I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed."--They Might Be Giants I recall seeing They playong the Statue Got Me High on Letterman in 1992 but I don't remember Them being on Leno. What did they play? matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:06:45 -0600 (CST) Justin Richmond writes: > This board licks. I have read nothing informative in the three months > I have been a part of it. > Good luck with your cover bands. First of all, this is not a "board". Second of all, how is anyone supposed to know what YOU find informative? What information have you contributed? -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "On Earth Day I was gonna plant some trees, but I planted my ass on the couch" -- Rugburns ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Subject: Re: Leno Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:32:56 -0600 (CST) Matthew James writes: > I recall seeing They playong the Statue Got Me High on Letterman in 1992 but > I don't remember Them being on Leno. What did they play? They played "I Palindrome I" when they were on Letterman on 5/19/92. They were on Leno on 7/6/92. They played "The Guitar" (with Syd Straw doing the Laura Cantrell part), and "The Statue Got Me High". -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "On Earth Day I was gonna plant some trees, but I planted my ass on the couch" -- Rugburns ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 19:54:51 EST Subject: tmbg on good morning america They were on GMAmerica last year and they played Dirt Bike.... it was nutty. Tara ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 19:25:20 -0600 From: the RENTALS Subject: Re: tmbg on Mtv >I was watching Mtv Beachhouse one day this summer (dont ask why) and as >they were going to a commercial they played the music to Snail Shell! I >found it a highly unlikely place to play it but it was unmistakable. Did >anyone else hear it? i don't know why, but it seems that MTV loves to play music that i like as background and other such. They used to play TMBG all the time, using snail shell constantly for alomst any show. for a while they used a band from Dallas called Hagfish that i like alot, and they use the song Pop Heiress by chainsaw kittens frequently. i guess they just want to take a small time out of their regularly scheduled crap to play a bit of good music. paul, aka, "and I said yeah baby, Evil's ok in my book!," frank black, fruit bat, "jiffy boy is on, hurry up he needs a hammer,to knock his head around.," Jiffy Boy, Jubal Harshaw, Mike Smith, the Tick, Paul Swan, I hear you, and I will fight for the name Persephone, paul swan, paulswan, rabidchild.paulswan@mail.utexas.edu,"the artist formerly known as aswan@tenet.edu," you know, stuff, http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~tmbg, zen kitty, roots radicals, red eyed troll, james robert injustice, tmbg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, the king of ellipses, Tyson Meade, Pop Heiress (dies), Lazarus Long, melody, fidelity, quantity, Santa Claus, paulus cygnus, the RENTALS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 20:35:59 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Letterman Ok, does anybody have the Letterman tape, and would be willing to make some kind of a trade? I'd like to start a TMBG late night talk show collection.... ;) Luv, 'Nette `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu *------------------------------------------------------------- Q of the week: Is caffeine really your friend? *------------------------------------------------------------- "The porpoise is laughing; good-bye, good-bye." The Monkees `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` ------------------------------ From: Adam Kincaid Subject: RE: Istanbul Brownsville Mix Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 20:03:04 -0600 I don't know if anyone on this list has ever listened to Kraftwerk before but I was listening to the Brownsville Mix of Istanbul and noticed that from 1:48-1:33 before the song ends there is this weird robotic voice that says something that I can't quite make out and it sounds like it's from a song by Kraftwerk and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this? I noticed this too! From The Robots or else another early song in the Mix. NyQuil Driver ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 00:59:31 -0600 (CST) From: Lokshin Michael S Subject: tmbg in school Seeing how it is finals time, I feel compelled to ask if anyone has had the occasion to mention TMBG in academic work this semester. I mentioned Them in a journal entry for a sociology class... ------------- "Anger is for the weak. We are strong, we are dustmites. Woe to those who oppose us" ML ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 01:17:32 -0600 (CST) From: Little Wooden Boy Subject: i should be allowed... i was studyin my history in the student union at ut, and i discovered the oddest thing in my history book. i was reading about "American Subcultures" and the "Beats", as my book put it, where a poem called "Howl!" by Allen Ginsberg was quoted. and thus it goes: I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix ... cool, eh? -amie longenbaugh, the baddest of the bad since you been gone. __________say my heart's full of lust...say my brain's goin' bad___________ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-96 *****************************