Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-97 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 97 Saturday, 16 December 1995 Today's Topics: First Album Re: i should be allowed... Re: i should be allowed... Re: tmbg in school Band List Re: tmbg in school Tape Re: tmbg in school finals Injuries. Nothing Informative unsubbing Video Trade They Might Be Remixes VERY IMPORTANT: please read. TMBG, the rentals, and mtv. Re: tmbg in school haste makes waste Re: Video Trade RE: tmbg on Mtv Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 Late Night and set LIsts Re: Video Trade Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 John Linnell Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 17:32:10 +0800 From: Leo Dy Ragos Subject: First Album Does anyone know how much They's first album in Fair condition on vinyl is worth? A friend of mine lost a bet, and now it's mine. Thanks! Le0 --------Come visit me! http://www.tridel.com.ph/user/eelsox/primary.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:11:22 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: i should be allowed... > i was studyin my history in the student union at ut, and i discovered the > oddest thing in my history book. i was reading about "American Subcultures" > and the "Beats", as my book put it, where a poem called "Howl!" by Allen > Ginsberg was quoted. and thus it goes: > > I saw the best minds of my generation > destroyed > by madness, > starving hysterical naked, > dragging themselves through the negro streets > at dawn looking for > an angry fix about a year ago I was listening to the program called "Fresh Air(e?)" on NPR, and it was an interview with Alan Ginsberg. They read this poem--I was like "wait I've heard that before...?" I finally realized where I'd heard it (in such different context!). And I was amazed at the diversity and culture of TMBG once again!!! FLK ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:44:03 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: i should be allowed... On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Little Wooden Boy wrote: > and the "Beats", as my book put it, where a poem called "Howl!" by Allen > Ginsberg was quoted. Well, if you had actually read the copyright credits part thing (come on, doesn't everyone?... or maybe you pirated it, huh, huh!?!?!?!?!?... oh, right, sorry...) you would have noticed "excerpts from first line of "Howl! Part One (C) 1959 Allen Ginsberg".... Sorry, I was bored and had to say something.... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:59:27 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: Re: tmbg in school On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Lokshin Michael S wrote: > Seeing how it is finals time, I feel compelled to ask if anyone has had > the occasion to mention TMBG in academic work this semester. I mentioned > Them in a journal entry for a sociology class... I wrote a seven page psycology npaper on Birdhouse in your soul. I analyzed the song and aplied Childrens sleep disorders. It was a hoot and I got a hundred percent. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:07:12 -0500 Subject: Band List From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) Ok here it is again. Just so you know if there are any problems write me and I'll try to fix them.... 1)Fran-aka-The Vonnegut Vassal-Plays Cello and sings. From Ithaca, NY during school and near Lancaster, PA over breaks... 2)Jenny-aka-She-ra Princess of Power-Sorta plays piano, sings. From Texas... 3)Kerry Leanne Smith-Plays Trombone and most other low brass instruments. >From North Carolina... 4)Laura Kathleen Melvin-Plays Flute and Irish Whistle. From Wisconsin.. 5)Amie Longenbaugh-Plays viola/violin, mallets, tympani. From Arlington Texas... 6)Sara Smith-aka-Copy shop clerk-Plays piano, a little flute, and kazoo. >From Bloomington, Indiana... 7)Karen Sandler-Plays TenorSax, and Bass Clarinet. From Nyc(I think) 8)Sloan Poe-aka-Mr. Klaw-Plays Bari-Sax. From Greenville, South Carolina. 9)Alex Dresko-aka-Rabid Ears-Plays Tenor sax. From Greenville, South Carolina. 10)Katrina Hockin-Plays piano. From Chicago. 11)Paul-aka-The Rentals-Plays guitar, violin, sings. From Texas... 12)Jamie Jim Joe Junior-Plays guitar. From Hazleton, Pennsylvania.... 13)Lady J-Plays piano, clarinet, recorder, sings. From Indiana... 14)Jeanette-aka-Frosty the Supervisor-Plays Accordian, Clarinet, and a little bass guitar. From Ewing, NJ... 15)Paul Leonard-Plays violin and guitar soon. From Arlington, Texas.... 16)Jonathan Chaffer-Plays Trombone, Piano, Vocals. From Mt. Pleasant, Michigan... 17)Tara Patenaude-Plays kazoo sings. From Andover, Ma during breaks. From Collegeville, Pa during school... 18)Rabid Child-Plays large cymbals, triangle. From Jackson, WY.... 19)Michael C. Lebovitz-aka-Lebo-Plays Bass guitar, Piano, and sings. From Malvern, PA... 20)Mike Orsega-Has 8 years of experience of mimicing their voices. From Athens, Georgia... 21)Anne E. Heidemann-Plays French Horn, piano, and trumpet sorta From Mt Pleasant Michigan... 22)Joe Puscas-aka-The guy who hit you in the eye-Plays Bass. From DeKalb Illonois.... 23)Daniel-Sings lead vocals and backup. From unknown... 24)Liam Singer-Plays piano and accordian. From Portland OR.... 25)Sean Kinlin-Plays clarinet and bass clarinet. From Ann Arbor , MI... -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say your only kidding." -TMBG- Mr. Klaw... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 16:21:07 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: tmbg in school On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye wrote: > > I wrote a seven page psychology paper on Birdhouse in your soul. I > analyzed the song and applied Childrens sleep disorders. It was a hoot > and I got a hundred percent. > Joe > 100%!!! Blimey, your lecturers are a bit generous... Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 08:25:53 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Tape I looooove the song statue got me high... if you have them playing it on Jay, I'd really like to know. Got the XTC album, can't say 25'o clock is wonderfull, but it does grow on you. Has anyone noticed what sounds like a recorded message speeded up in the middle? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:01:31 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: Re: tmbg in school On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye wrote: > > > > I wrote a seven page psychology paper on Birdhouse in your soul. I > > analyzed the song and applied Childrens sleep disorders. It was a hoot > > and I got a hundred percent. > > Joe > > > > 100%!!! Blimey, your lecturers are a bit generous... > > > Mark > I have the four page version on floppy. I'm a liitle illiterate but if someone would tell me how to send word perfect 6.1 over e-mail I'd be happy to. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 12:02:40 -0500 (EST) From: Copy shop clerk Subject: finals well i know nobody wants to know this, but i just flunked my math final worse than i have ever flunked anything in my life. i gave up half way through and wrote the lyrics to Number Three, Sleeping In The Flowers, and Dinner Bell all over the 5th and 6th pages, along with comments like "how on earth is knowing how to multiply a matrix going to get me anywhere in life?" Thank you TMBG for making my morning a little more bearable..... "Welcome to America, give me all of your sausage." `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'` Sara "Warrior Princess" Smith "Silence is golden, but only when Indiana University words would screw it up" Wright Quad James Pecht sarsmith@othello.ucs.indiana.edu `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 12:57:51 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Injuries. Did you ever notice how when you're hurt, Flood can make you feel better? Also: never read the contents portion of an instant cold compress..... it's a rather nasty surprise, what they put in there..... ;) Be careful on the ice, kids!!! luv, 'Nette `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu *------------------------------------------------------------- Q of the week: Is caffeine really your friend? *------------------------------------------------------------- "The porpoise is laughing; good-bye, good-bye." The Monkees `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 10:57:16 MST Subject: Nothing Informative Justin Richmond writes: > This board licks. I have read nothing informative in the three months > I have been a part of it. > Good luck with your cover bands. I thought that I posted something informative a couple of weeks back. Perhaps it got lost. So I'll try again: I read in the FAQ that TMBG took their name from a movie of that name from the early 70's. Last week I rented that movie. It's about a man who thinks that he is Sherlock Holmes, the great detective of fiction. His brother contacts a doctor to have him committed. Her name is Dr. Watson. She wants to help him, and he wants to make a detective out of her. For me, the key dialogue of the movie, where the title comes from, follows: Holmes: Here, what do you make of it? Watson: God, you're just like Don Quixote, you think everything's always something else. Holmes: Heh, heh, heh, well he had a point. Of course, he carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be ... Well, all the best minds used to think the world was flat. But, what if it isn't? It might be round. And bread mold might be medicine. If we never looked at things and thought of what they might be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 12:44:00 -0600 (CST) From: Loula Burton Subject: unsubbing i know you all hate these messages, i myself do: i have to unsub for the holidays... >>insert 'happy holidays to everyone' here<<< and i can't for the life of me in my tmbg folder find how... unsub me? or advise me how? loula ----------====> i have seen the truth, and it makes no sense <====---------- ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 11:56:01 MST Subject: Video Trade I have tape of the Today show appearance They played "Dirt Bike" Will trade for other appearances. I'm also willing to collect several show appearances, make a master tape, and dub copies. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 14:11:09 +0700 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: They Might Be Remixes ................................................................................ I was just wondering, which of Their songs have been remixed? I know about Istanbul, The Guitar, She's Actual Size, The World's Address, & Snail Shell, but I had once heard that someone did a remix of Your Racist Friend. Does anyone know if that's true? Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 15:45:48 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: VERY IMPORTANT: please read. i already saw two responses (negative ones at that) to another post. the public responses shooting people down, drag down the entire board. i made the mistake of doing that a little while ago and i'm sorry. if you feel you must tell a person off, do it directly to the person and do not involve the mailing list; this way we can stick to important stuff, like TMBG. in fact the best thing to do is to ignore the mean posts. even better, for the people that have to criticize the list, talk to the people who run the thing. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 15:46:59 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: TMBG, the rentals, and mtv. from midnight to 2am on sunday nights there is this show called "120 minutes" on mtv (if you guys haven't heard it) Rabidchild just reminded me of this, cause he mentioned the rentals and they were on it possibly performing live but i'm not sure. anyway two summers ago TMBG hosted it and they played some live stuff but i don't know what it was cause this is all hearsay. on top of that last year 120 minutes played this live version of TMBG performing WDTSS and a week later on Conan O'Brian (which is incidentally the best late night talk show in existance) also performing WDTSS and the best part is i recorded both of them on tape and the weird thing is after the very last note on the mtv version it cuts off and goes directly to the first note on Conan. and it also includes the latter interview with William Shatner (Capt. Kirk for all leypersons) and TMBG (star trek and TMBG...how can you go wrong?). getting back to my ramblings, about 2 months later TMBG was on House of Blues with Victoria Williams (who is also a pretty good musician and i highly recommend her) TMBG played The Guitar and No one knows my plan (with a breath stopping performance i might add). I'm done now. daniel ------------------------------ Date: 15 Dec 1995 10:38:56 -0800 From: "GOODPASTURE Ryan" Subject: Re: tmbg in school > > > On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye wrote: > > > > I wrote a seven page psychology paper on Birdhouse in your soul. I > > analyzed the song and applied Childrens sleep disorders. It was a hoot > > and I got a hundred percent. > > Joe > > > > 100%!!! Blimey, your lecturers are a bit generous... > > > Mark > I have the four page version on floppy. I'm a liitle illiterate but if someone would tell me how to >send word perfect 6.1 over e-mail I'd be happy to. yes, yes! would be good to read! when sending files, the process will vary depending on your e-mail software. if it's Windows based, then it's easy. while you're in WP61 (for windows, i hope) you should first select the entire document. to do this, position the cursor at the very beginning, hold down the Shift key, then hit the down arrow, holding both until the whole thing is selected. then, before you hit another key, select Copy under the Edit menu. open your mail program, start a new message, the select Paste from that program's Edit menu-- all the stuff should dump right in! if either your version of WP or e-mail is DOS-based, you'll have to use a different method. In WP under the File menu, there be a Save As.. command. in the resulting dialog box, somewhere near the bottom, there's a box called Format that indicates what file type to save is as. it'll probably say 'WordPerfect 6.1'. select 'ASCII Text' in that box, rename the file .TXT (so you don't write over your original), and select OK. now that it's ready to go, you should be able to find an Attach or Insert (or maybe 'Paste From..') command in your mail program. selecting this command while in a new message should bring up a dialog box that will let you pick the file you just saved in WP, selecting OK will pop it in. you may be unfortunate enough to have an archaic mail system (i.e. through telnet at a school) that won't allow you to attach files, or paste them. if that's the case you'll just have to type it in, or say natch! blah! never mind! maybe ask your system admin or local geek (geek power!) if these instructions are too unclear. ryan "life is a placebo masquerading as a simile" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 14:06:56 EST From: Mike Orsega Subject: haste makes waste ATTENTION TO EVERYONE WHO I FREAKED OUT BY SAYING "ANIMANIACS" --------- -- -------- --- - ------- --- -- ------ ------------ my apologies to all....i have been re-informed that it was indeed an episode of Tiny Toons (we're all allowed one mistake on this list right?) anyway, i DO have the JAY LENO 'statue' and 'guitar' and i am still more than willing for any and all trades......... as far as matrices go.......you never know when you may want to compute the simple shear of a metamorphosed granitic gneiss...........(i hope i never will) oh and im not really sure about the question of my uniquenss....please tell mike "Watch the Sneak!" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 16:05:20 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: Video Trade OOhhh, good idea.... I'm trying to compile several.... If I send you a copy of my copies, will you put Dirt Bike on it? You can then use that master to create other masters, and then we can sell them on the underground market for 30$..... heh...... or the cost of a video tape, shipping and handling..... sound good? I'll contact you when I can get copies of the others. Oh, and anyone else I contacted, please mail me your #'s, as I am going home for holiday break soon. Luv and peace on the net, 'Nette `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu *------------------------------------------------------------- Q of the week: Is caffeine really your friend? *------------------------------------------------------------- "The porpoise is laughing; good-bye, good-bye." The Monkees `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:44:43 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: RE: tmbg on Mtv On Thu, 14 Dec 1995 tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu wrote: > Snail Shell was also played in the background on Singled Out. (what a > terrible show that is.....) > Wacky! > Tara My friend and I sometimes watch that show for a good laugh. I think MTV has much more music than they let on to. You don't ever see Ween on the regular music video times (What little time that is now), but I saw them on B&B. And I also heard "Stigmata" by Ministry (Sorry about relevance) on MTV Sports. Sometimes I think that MTV could be a cool station if they played good music :) *------------------------------------------------------------- |garthi@teleport.com | "These go up to 11" -Nigel Tuffnel| |----------------------| ------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 14:02:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 Organization: Meharry Medical College Little Wooden Boy wrote on Subject: i should be allowed... >i was studyin my history in the student union at ut, and i discovered the >oddest thing in my history book. i was reading about "American Subcultures" >and the "Beats", as my book put it, where a poem called "Howl!" by Allen >Ginsberg was quoted. and thus it goes: > > I saw the best minds of my generation > destroyed > by madness, > starving hysterical naked, [snip] Well I think it's odd that They didn't credit Ginsberg! Did They? I don't think so. Alan Ginsberg is regarded by some to have been the greatest of the Beat poets...doesn't he deserve some respect? ================================================================================ Keith Hyman |"Seems that when some innocent die, Nashville TN USA | All we can offer them is a page in some magazine, hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| Too many cameras, and not enough food-- | 'Cause this is what we've seen."--The Police ------------------------------ From: "Kev G" Organization: Villanova University Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 19:17:30 EST Subject: Late Night and set LIsts Speaking of late night... John & John were also on the John Stewart show back when John Henry first came out. They played Snailshell. THey have also been on Public Radio, at least in Ny. I remember the day of their concert they were on a Public Radio show. They playes James Ensor, Istambul, and one other I think... I am still looking for the set list from their April 1st, 1995 show... Anybody have it, or know where I can get it? -Kevin- E-Mail : Kgalla01@student.vill.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 21:24:11 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (jenn) Subject: Re: Video Trade okay, just to share -- i have Them playing statue got me high on letterman & snail shell on the jon stewart show. jenn _________________________________________________________________ jennifer -- a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com 15 days until I see TMBG!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 22:23:26 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 well, to all the people who are into this band making crup, I can play a pretty skroggin' wicked pan flute. Ok, maybe I can't , maybe I lied. I'm hypoglycemic. "Hypo" for make, "glycemic" for stuff up. ok, yes, I DID steal that from someone else. (unoriginal bastard) anyhoo... excuse my ignorance masked as newness: I don't know what I'm doing really, but I'm sure you are all smart enough to see that. guess I need to talk about the band to make this relevant, here goes: TMBG are the shiznit. They're all that. And I bet they're pretty good at checkers too. *a misguided SON OF GOD* ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr Subject: John Linnell Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 22:29:17 -0600 I was looking in art books for watercolorists for an assignment for my watercolor class and I was looking for a certain artist. I was looking in the index for names and the name John Linnell caught my eye. It turns out that back in the 1800's there was an artist named John Linnell. Interesting, huh? :) Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 23:02:02 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 > > TMBG are the shiznit. They're all that. And I bet they're > pretty good at checkers too. Yup, and I bet they can clean up in dominoes. gaucho ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 00:30:05 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Erik Swedberg wrote: > > > > TMBG are the shiznit. They're all that. And I bet they're > > pretty good at checkers too. > > Yup, and I bet they can clean up in dominoes. > > gaucho > > I'd guess that They completely rule at nine-ball, too, and perhaps even croquet!! Luv, 'Nette ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 23:40:59 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-96 At 12:30 AM 12/16/95 -0500, Frosty the Supervisor wrote: >On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Erik Swedberg wrote: > >> > >> > TMBG are the shiznit. They're all that. And I bet they're >> > pretty good at checkers too. >> >> Yup, and I bet they can clean up in dominoes. >> >> gaucho >> >> > I'd guess that They completely rule at nine-ball, too, and perhaps >even croquet!! you know, you're forgetting about musical chairs -- they've GOTTA rule at that. paul ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-97 *****************************