Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-99 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 99 Monday, 18 December 1995 Today's Topics: yes tmbg-list Digest #1-98 tmbg-list Digest #1-97 (none) Re: TV Appearances Existential Blues TMBG in New Jersey - Review! Dirt Bike Video Compilation life and how to live it Re: TMBG in New Jersey - Review! Christmass Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-98 Cowtown Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 09:38:55 -0500 Subject: yes From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) Ok now everyone listen up you must visit this page(not that i'm forcing you) but please do http://pwp.usa.pipeline.com/~grant3/combine.htm please go here and tell me what you think. -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devils hand and say your only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ From: rc@gcc.cc.md.us Date: 17 Dec 1995 12:47:44 EDT Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-98 TM>linnel missed the bull and impaled the basist from green day (which isnt a TM>bad thing) Someone needs to shoot those Green Punks. TM> A believer in the theories of Marx... Yes, those Marx brothers...they sure were funny. But I don't remember them talking about any Communist activity. TM>> A believer in the theories of Marx... doesn't that make him a TM>> Marxist rather than Communist? Pro-communist T-Shirts??? Do they sell them TM>That would make him a Marxist but didn't Marx write the Communist Manifesto? Yep. He sure did. And Stalin was a Marxist also. Wasn't Joseph Stalin the first one to set up Russia as a communist nation? If they would've done it the way marx said to, it probably would've worked a lot better, but they were only human, so they got greedy. TM>Hehehe, yeah unAmerican but anything will sell in the USA, heck you can TM>buy the Anarchist TM>Cookbook from some book stores. If you can buy a Satan Bible, I sure hope you can get an Anarchist Cookbook. TM>> the Live from the House of the Blues on tape. We really should get these TM>> all on one big compilation tape and disribute it. I saw them on the House of Blues, and they just kicked ass. I liked Istanbul Not Constantinople before I saw it on the House of Blues, but now I love it. Now when I hear it, I see Flansburg with his arms out singing that part. It makes the song a lot better when you can picture the people singing it. While we're on the subject, does anyone know where I can get a video of TMBG? TM>> > > TMBG are the shiznit. They're all that. And I bet they're TM>> > > pretty good at checkers too. That they are. SHIZNIT! And a bowl of chili chicken wings. TM>> > Yup, and I bet they can clean up in dominoes. Linnel looks like a bowler to me. TM>> I'd guess that They completely rule at nine-ball, too, and perhaps TM>> even croquet!! And golf, let's not forget golf. The ever so fun to watch spectator sport. TM>One time I saw them playing Lawn Darts. John F. was so good I couldn't TM>contain myself. And, I'm not even gonna get into the time I saw the TM>Johns synchronized swimming... That would be cool to see them synchronized swimmimg and singing at the same time. TM> -I soiled myself So did I, so did I. Nothingman -Someone keeps moving my chair. ------------------------------ From: rc@gcc.cc.md.us Date: 17 Dec 1995 12:47:52 EDT Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-97 TM>> Seeing how it is finals time, I feel compelled to ask if anyone has had TM>> the occasion to mention TMBG in academic work this semester. I mentioned TM>> Them in a journal entry for a sociology class... I had a sociology class, but didn't go to class enough to include anything. But I would've if I could've. TM>Ok here it is again. Just so you know if there are any problems write me TM>and I'll try to fix them.... TM>1)Fran-aka-The Vonnegut Vassal-Plays Cello and sings. From Ithaca, NY TM>during school and near Lancaster, PA over breaks... TM>25)Sean Kinlin-Plays clarinet and bass clarinet. From Ann Arbor , MI... 26)Nothingman plays trumpet, just about any brass, and a little guitar and bass. Even does a good impression of the two Johns. From Somewhere... TM>"how on earth is knowing how to multiply a matrix going to get me TM>anywhere in life?" Well, if you ever happen to stumble across the Big Matrix People That Will Tear You Apart If You Can't Multiply A Matrix, then you'll be in big trouble. TM>Thank you TMBG for making my morning a little more TM>bearable..... I think they make everything more bearable...except Green Day (shudder). TM>Did you ever notice how when you're hurt, Flood can make you feel better? It's happy music. At least it sounds happy and bouncy. makes me just wanna sing my heart out. TM> Q of the week: Is caffeine really your friend? If it weren't for caffeine, we probably wouldn't get all this great music, would we? They Might Be Asleep. TM>For me, the key dialogue of the movie, where the title comes from, TM>follows: TM>Holmes: Here, what do you make of it? TM>Watson: God, you're just like Don Quixote, you think everything's TM> always something else. TM>Holmes: Heh, heh, heh, well he had a point. Of course, he carried TM> it a bit too far. TM> He thought that every windmill was a giant. TM> That's insane. But, thinking that they might be ... TM> Well, all the best minds used to think the world was flat. TM> But, what if it isn't? It might be round. TM> And bread mold might be medicine. TM> If we never looked at things and thought of what they might TM> be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass TM> with the apes. Pretty interesting. I figured it came from this movie, but I've never seen it. Thanks for the enlightenment. Nothingman -They might be snow, they might be something else in the snow (yellow?). ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 11:43:26 -0600 From: the RENTALS well, it's time to head home for the holidays, but i'll still be here... just using an alter identity... so, remember to call dial-a-song every day and they might be giants... paul, aka, "and I said yeah baby, Evil's ok in my book!," frank black, fruit bat, "jiffy boy is on, hurry up he needs a hammer,to knock his head around.," Jiffy Boy, Jubal Harshaw, Mike Smith, the Tick, Paul Swan, I hear you, and I will fight for the name Persephone, paul swan, paulswan, rabidchild.paulswan@mail.utexas.edu,"the artist formerly known as aswan@tenet.edu," you know, stuff, http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~tmbg, zen kitty, roots radicals, red eyed troll, james robert injustice, tmbg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, the king of ellipses, Tyson Meade, Pop Heiress (dies), Lazarus Long, melody, fidelity, quantity, Santa Claus, paulus cygnus, the RENTALS ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 10:49:30 -0800 From: gregb@westworld.com (Greg Benson) Subject: Re: TV Appearances >> Did They ever go on >> Arsenio? > > i dont think so...but they did host 2 episodes of 120 min. and >on they second, between the talking/reading teleprompter parts, they >performed lyricless versions (with the full band) of some of their >songs, most memorable no one knows my plan (before it had >lyrics!)...it was pretty smoov...and they apparently also dod Nick >Rocks a long time ago..like around the time of lincoln. > Wowee. That sounds ULTIMATELY cool. I know that somewhere in my video collection I have their "Tonight Show" appearance just after FLOOD came out. Jay Leno was guest hosting for Johnny, and TMBG played the most bizarre rendition of "Istanbul" I've ever heard. I thought it took a lot of guts to play it that way on such a popular and conservative show. They certainly didn't make it very accessible to the viewing audience. Anyhow, the song ended and the camera cut to Jay (just smiling away) & Ed MacMahon, who had the most befuddled look on his face. Jay remarked, "You know, that's my wife's favorite song from the album... and Ed just doesn't get it." Very funny indeed. I think a short interview followed. I also watched "Live From the House of Blues" and all I remember is being pissed that TMBG were only allowed three songs (I think) while some very mediocre singer named Victoria Williams sang about a DOZEN... What were they thinking? ------------------------------ From: Emmanuel Donio Subject: Existential Blues Date: Sun, 17 Dec 95 14:16:27 536913400 To whoever it was that asked, I do indeed know all (or at least most) of the words to T-Bone Stankus's classic ditty, "Existential Blues". It's really quite a wonderful song. This was completely off topic as far as our boys are concerned, so I'd just like to say that they're a nifty band and all that jazz. So long, and have a nice winter solstice. Undyingly yours, Emmanuel Donio Sr. (Manny) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 14:50:15 -0500 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: TMBG in New Jersey - Review! Rad! I just saw TMBG for the first time live last night. They played at the WHTG-FM Snowball, their Christmas Concert. Also on the bill were Solution A.D. (Kicked ass too), Rusty (Kinda sucked), Whirling Dervishes (Really rad local band), Del Amitri (Real good), Deep Blue Something (Better then I expected) and Civ (YOU CANNOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT CIV.) All of the bands played about 5 or 6 songs, they didn't have long sets. Luckily, TMBG did alot of their hits. They played "Spy", "Birdhouse In Your Soul", "Twisting", "Snail Shell", the sun song (I can't remember the name of it! DOH!), and "Instabul (Not Constantinople)". They were limited in the amount of time they had, I wouldn't have minded if they could have played longer. But they did just great, I had no problems with their set. When you get up close to them, the Johns just plain out rock. They also had Brian Dohertey on drums and Graham Maby on bass. It was a great show. +--- Edicius (Tom Sullivan) - Head Editor, Jonas E'zine "I should be allowed to blurt the merest idea, if by random whim one occurs to me." +--- ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Dirt Bike Date: Sun, 17 Dec 95 17:04:21 -0600 Has anyone ever tried replacing the words Dirt Bike in that song with the words 'Third Reich'? Kind of an interesting concept. Try it once.... Ana Ng :) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 20:57:26 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Video Compilation Dear All, I've just ordered Their video compilation from my local branch of Our Price and wanted to know what I could expect to get on it. I'm sure I remember reading here a while ago that the UK version had extra songs on it. Does anyone know if this is true? It said in the catalogue that the video lasted 23 minutes if that's any help... Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 16:00:23 -0500 (CDT) From: The Pez that stole christmas Subject: life and how to live it First off Jenny (whoever you are) "This chick with psychic powers said hey t-bone whats your sign. I blinked and answered neon - I thought I'd blow her mind . . ." Now onto something with relevance - Ha I've got the 120 minutes on tape from when they were promoting flood. Back in the good ol days when they played wacky underground stuff. John and John play particle man and a great version of Where your eyes don't go. It's really cool because they used a bluescreen behind Flansburg with Linnell on it and they get alternately rilly rilly big (hmmmm they might be giants! I've also got them from mtv playing snail shell live and the House of Blues. Well does anyone know where I can get the live in new york cd - I cant find that "Goldmine" magazine anywhere. . . . untill now is later pez ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 18:42:50 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Irwin Kopenec Subject: Re: TMBG in New Jersey - Review! > local band), Del Amitri (Real good), Deep Blue Something (Better then I Hey, Deep Blue Something is from around where I'm from (Dallas area). They do rock! -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Chris "Stewart" Kopenec kopenec@jove.acs.unt.edu -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical." -=*(They Might Be Giants - "I Should Be Allowed To Think)*=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Christmass Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 21:34:35 -0500 (EST) Yesterday my family decorated the old x-mas tree. As she does every year my mom got me an ornimant...this year it was a little computer with a cat on top chasing the mouse and on the monitor was written "make a little birdhouse in your soul - 95". Just a littke TMBG moment. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 15:44:33 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-98 >Sorry, but this doesn't quite make sense. This bloke's a raging >communist, but attends and vigorously defends an "expensive prep school". >Surely if he was such a left winger, he'd be trying to raze the schoolto >the ground or something similar. well i said he was a communist, i didnt say he had a clue.... > A believer in the theories of Marx... doesn't that make him a >Marxist rather than Communist? Pro-communist T-Shirts???>> well marx was the first one to profess communist ideals, and yes pro communist t-shirts.. there's a picture of him in the year book at a school walkathon wearing a jacket that s not zipped up.. under the jacket youcan see the names and pictures of Lenin, Stalin and Marx... i doesnt get more communist then that.. see you guys at the Ny show!!! plaguerat ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 00:02:40 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Cowtown I know this goes back a little, but my boyfriend really wanted me to share this with you guys... He overheard a manager at a place he used to work say something like... "well, yeah, I'm going to Cowtown..." He asked her what she was referring to, and she said there was actually a place called Cowtown in New Jersey--it's a rodeo. So TMBG might have been referring to that specific place, or maybe not. He says--it is technically below them, if they have to go "down to Cowtown" from Brooklyn... FLK (and Gabe) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-99 *****************************