Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 10 Wednesday, 10 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Hello. Hello. I don't know why they said goodbye when I called HELLO, ( CD of the month club) Bleh Productions WOW!! 3 things Re: hello all! Re: hello all! Philly show Re: WOW!! Re: WOW!! Everybody Wants My Flanny Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 08:23:59 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Hello. Hello. I don't know why they said goodbye when I called HELLO, ( CD of the month club) I too ordered all 3 years, and that was 8 weeks ago (please allow 4-8 weeks). However, it did say they were running out of the 93+94 stuff and would have trouble filling all of the orders by the end of 95 in the newsletter. Of course, this is no excuse for them not to CALL us or something, like they're real busy or something like that. Has anyone that has ordered from October-December actually gotten anything? (t-shirt, phone call, whatever)? - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 09:06:02 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Bleh Productions Scott, My mother for Christmastime ordered me the Monster Pack from the Hello Club. We are in the process of waiting for our credit card bill too. I guess I would have loved to see a response from the Hello Club to acknowledge that they did receive my request and that they are processing my order. I'll let you know ir we find out more info! Ben or Been Hello I'm a General Semanticist ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 13:54:10 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: WOW!! on the Conan O'Brian show last night this band called the Skastafarians was on and the reason why i'm telling you guys about this was that the song that they played resembles TMBG very much. the horn section was excellent along with a JF style of playing. they also gave me the jump up and dance feeling that i get so often with TMBG. i highly reccomend checking the Skastafarians out. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: 3 things Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 17:07:19 -0500 (EST) One thing I forgot to mentiona bout the Philly show was that when the Johns introduced The Statue Got me High, they said it was named after Rocky! I guess they did that cause it was filmed in Philly, which I did not know until the concert! I was also thinking back to my old Rush list I used to be on and I remember they had a compilation of every tour date they ever did since 1971 (they did a show in Michigan on my birthdate, 11/9/74!). I was wondering if anyone had the capabilities of getting a list together like taht, or at least a semi-list? The last thing I was thinking of getting together was a list of songs that people have heard at concerts, especially the ones they normally don't play (or maybe a list of songs they haven't heard of rthose who've been to many concerts?) These are ones I can remember and ones I think they played but am not sure denoted by a (*): All 20 John Henry songs Number 3 Don't Let's Start Rabid Child She Was a Hotel Detective (both new and old) She's an Angel Youth Culture Killed my Dog (*) Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head (*) Chess Piece Face Ana Ng Lie Still Little Bottle (*) Purple Toupee Where Your Eyes Don't Go Piece of Dirt (*) The World's Address (*) Santa's Beard They'll Need a Crane Shoehorn with Teeth Kiss Me, Son of God (*) James K. Polk The Famous Polka Dig My Grave I Palindrome I Mammal The Statue Got Me High Spider The Guitar Turn Around (*) Why does the Sun Shine Whirlpool Birdhouse In Your Soul Istanbul Your RAcist Friend Particle Man Twisting Whistling in the Dark I may have heard others but I really cannot remember all of the concerts, and my memory also does not serve me very well because a couple of (*)'d ones I may actually have not heard. Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Psavage1@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 20:05:32 -0500 Subject: Re: hello all! promans@sloth.loyola.edu (Phil Romans) wrote: >Concerts concerts concerts... I attended the Philly show with my good bud >Matt James of this list. And me! >Finally, can someone send me the set list from Philly? I was standing >behind a guy writting it down and forgot to ask for a copy. Was the >coolest when they played James J. Polk and I was the only one around that >knew the words.. hehe Course Sense Around threw everyone off. Err..that's Sensurround, but yeah Polk was really neato...it's a great sing-a-long song...but then again all They songs are great for sing-a-longs. Actually, I think there were quite a few of us there who knew the not-so-often-played songs, but it is a little disappointing that Istanbul and Birdhouse always get the biggest response. Here's what I came up with for the setlist: Spider The Guitar Subliminal AKA Driver Cowtown Snail Shell She Was A Hotel Detective '94 (yay!) Santa's Beard James K. Polk (!) Ana Ng Twistin Birdhouse In Your Soul No One Knows My Plan Sleeping in the Flowers Shoehorn w/Teeth We're the Replacements (!!) Spy Particle Man Istanbul Statue Got Me High Whistling In The Dark Whirlpool Sensurround Why Does The Sun Shine Stomp Box Famous Polka Dirt Bike Meet James Ensor Twas a great mix of old and new...I love the new additions to the setlist! Pat --- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jan 96 20:41:44 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (jenn) Subject: Re: hello all! > Actually, I think there were quite a few of us there who knew the >not-so-often-played songs, but it is a little disappointing that Istanbul and >Birdhouse always get the biggest response. I have to agree with you there. Both me and my friend knew the words to every song they played. It seemed like a few around us did too. Not everyone but a few. As for the setlist -- I might be able to get a complete one. One of the people I was there with got one of the setlists they threw out after the show. jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com 'Love sees love's happiness, but happiness can't see that love is sad.' -- TMBG ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 19:46:05 -0700 Subject: Philly show OK! After those setlists were posted, i must know if someone had the opportunity to tape this, even on a mini-casette recorder or something....I hear that there was a horrible search, but y' never know...perhaps soomeone hid it in a hard to find body cavity 8o) SO, if someone is offering dubs from this or any other shows, recent or otherwise, lemme know... -Rabid Child ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 21:33:53 -0500 (EST) From: Bill Wells Subject: Re: WOW!! Yeppers....you'd be amazed by how much some ska music can resemble the giants cus of the horn section. Speaking of the Skastafarians...I was in my room last nite when they came on and my friend Toby just happened to walk in and it just so happens that his band from Texas (Ground Turkey) used to play shows with them. Wow. It justs goes to show that anyone can be famous. Oh yeah, and I recommend the Mighty Mighty Bosstones for the kewlest blend of horns and guitars and schtuph. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bill Wells / bwells@freenet.columbus.oh.us / Otterbein College - Women don't moon people - - People moon people - ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 19:32:04 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: Re: WOW!! On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Bill Wells wrote: > can be famous. Oh yeah, and I recommend the Mighty Mighty Bosstones for > the kewlest blend of horns and guitars and schtuph. > I wouldn't actually call the Mighty Mighty Bosstones a Ska band. Most of their stuff resembles the first two tracks on John Henry (Subliminal and Snail Shell). of course, there's always the odd Ska sound, but usually I consider them a "Ska Influenced" band. of course, that's totally off the topic of TMBG, so I'm sorry if I wasted anybody's time out there. *------------------------------------------------------------- |garthi@teleport.com | "These go up to 11" -Nigel Tuffnel| |----------------------| ------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 22:12:08 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Everybody Wants My Flanny Ben or Been here, -ing impaired. The 25th anniversary salute to Dr. Demento's program, FYI, only contains one TMBG song, in the form of "Particle Man" and not in the form of "One More Parade," as some record store computer falsely reports. I spun my _John Henry_ CD last night for the first time in at least a month and a half. My reaction one may describe as "withdrawn." Some reminces (not reminisces): 1. Lactose 2. Get me off of this list Glitches 3. The Artificial TMBG Digest 4. Hot Cha and God 5. Fav's Lists 6. Death Threats 7. Hello . . . Is anybody home? 8. John, the Female 9. Posting Too Often 10. Flames 11. Offers of TMBG Songs for Free but Interpreted as Illegal 12. Crying upon Digest Deaths 13. _Superfueled Freaksicle_--The Melted Wet Dream 14. Singing Along to TMBG Lyrics, Only Singing the Wrong Lyrics 15. Lyrics in Other Languages 16. Awaiting "SenSurround" 17. Name the John Henry Girl Contests I & II 18. To Interpret or Not to Interpret 19. Purple Toupees and History 20. Janet Jackson on the Brownsville Mix Is anybody home? Talk to the hand, Ben or Been Read your D. David Bourland, Jr. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-9 ****************************