Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-100 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 100 Tuesday, 9 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" I don't know them Re: Spin ze dial! Digested Boba Mail: MiscT & ETown Thermostat Re: [NIC-960405.1461] BEACONDIRECT.COM (fwd) Re: [NIC-960405.1461] BEACONDIRECT.COM 18 and under and DINGUS DAY. COWTOWN IS REAL queue and loos and favourites and stuff.. My TMBG Videos Ages and directions to E-town Re: Vital Information Re: Vital Information Re: Vienna, Virginia Madison show age? / Hello Desert Island music Re: Kids in the Hall??? Re: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" Re: I don't know them Re: 18 and under and DINGUS DAY. Re: Good Stuff (AGES) Re: 18 and under and DINGUS DAY. Re: Vital Information Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) Re: Desert Island music Dingus Egg Smingoos Re: Vital Information gnikcartkcaB (?ti teg) Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) Directions to Elizabethtown!!! Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) Re: gnikcartkcaB (?ti teg) Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) Please don't kill me... Record clubs Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) (none) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 03:07:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Adam Procter wrote: > At 08:56 AM 4/7/96 -0400, you wrote: > > > >Did anyone see Squirt TV on Friday? They showed clips from Brain Candy > >as well as a commercial that said that TMBG was on the soundtrack. > > > > Whaddaya know? They also use Minimum Wage for their theme song... and the > guy looks just a little bit like Linnel... at least I think. :-) > -- > Adam Procter > aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu > http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4386 > > I know what Squirt TV is but it doesn't air in Canada. I feel kind of left out. Damn. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 03:22:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: I don't know them I've been trying to find ways to somehow connect my sorry existence with that of John and John in the most direct way possible. All I can come up with is this: My sister, Kathryn, is excellent friends with the members of Moxy Fruvous, and MF once opened for TMBG. Also, Kathryn co-starred in last year's National Lampoon's Senior Trip (as Wanda) which was directed by Kelly Makin, who of course directed the new Kids In The Hall film Brain Candy, which contains the TMBG song Spiralling Shape. How odd. Anyway I know those are tenuous connections but it's worth mentioning, I guess. I was also lucky enough to meet Flans in Toronto in 1992, but so did everyone else who hung around after the show. By the way in Don't Let's Start, does anybody else hear, instead of "don't try to stop the tail that wags the hound" the line "don't try to stop until you wax the hound"? ... Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~alex home of tmbg, weird fiction and much more, not finished but shiny and new ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 11:08:18 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Spin ze dial! On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > > On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > It'd be even stranger if they were being broadcast live on the > > > radio and tuned into that... Then they'd be able to play anything. > > > > Actually, then they'd get some really bad feedback and it would be really > > loud. That would really suck, so we should all hope it never happens. > I didn't mean if they were playing them live at the concert on the radio. I > meant if they happened to be playing one of their CDs and they just > happen to spin to that. I don't think any more feedback would be > inv olved than any other song. Yeah, but he was replying to what I said. Mark ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 08:19:59 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail: MiscT & ETown Misc. T doesn't count as an album. It's a collection. E- Town all the way!! Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey, who's just a woofer covered in wood. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "FLOWERS DIE AND SO WILL I." "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 08:20:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Thermostat This happened at work about a year ago, after John Henry came out. I was in my manager's office, when I noticed it was unbearably hot in there. Without even thinking, I said "It's hot in here...isn't there a thermostat that regulates the temperature, that might be unreliable, that should be disconnected." Funny thing is, I didn't mean to say it. It started off as a serious question about the sauna-like conditions, and involuntarily turned into the rest of the lyric. At this point, I burst out into spontaneous laughter, prompting everyone else in the office to aquire looks of horror! I'm still working there, but nobody likes me anymore. Alex "It's like you're trying to unravel a giant cable knit sweater, that someone keeps knitting, and knitting, and knitting..." -Pee Wee Herman Soon, Pee Wee will join the ranks at the yet uncompleted, but still entirely enjoyable homepage - http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~alex ------------------------------ Subject: Re: [NIC-960405.1461] BEACONDIRECT.COM (fwd) Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:21:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Matt James" Here's another new domain... Matt Forwarded message: > From smtp Fri Apr 5 20:23 EST 1996 > From: Domain Registration Role Account > Content-Length: 7299 > Content-Type: text > Message-Id: <199604060124.UAA21336@ops.internic.net> > Subject: Re: [NIC-960405.1461] BEACONDIRECT.COM > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 20:24:20 -0500 (EST) > To: elrond@sowebo.charm.net > Cc: emonti@CHARM.NET > X-Mailer: fastmail [version 2.4 PL24alpha4] > > Registration for the domain shown below has been completed. > Please let us know if any changes are required by resubmitting > the domain template with a subject line reading MODIFY DOMAIN. > > The new information will not be visible via WHOIS until the > next business day. > > Before this information is released to the Internet (normally > accomplished via root server file updates on Mon, Wed, and Fri > afternoons about 17:00 Eastern time) we will check to see that the > primary and secondary name servers are reachable and contain the > appropriate SOA and NS resource records. > > If your name servers are not properly configured, we will place your > registration on hold until we hear from you. When you are ready to > have the domain released to the network, contact us at any of > the addresses below. > > Registering a domain name does not confer any legal rights to that > name and any disputes between parties over the rights to use a > particular name are to be settled between the contending parties > using normal legal methods (See RFC 1591). > > InterNIC Domain Registration > > email domreg@internic.net > voice (703) 742-4777 > telnet, ftp, whois, wais rs.internic.net or 198.41.0.5 > nslookup, dig ns.internic.net or 198.41.0.4 > > ========================================================================= > > Beacon Group Inc. (BEACONDIRECT-DOM) > 8320 Bellona Ave. Windsor Ct. Suite 250 > Towson, Md 21204 > USA > > Domain Name: BEACONDIRECT.COM > > Administrative Contact: > Potter, Kim (KP385) beacongp@CHARM.NET > (410) 583-1203 > Technical Contact: > Dns, Charm Net (CND4) dns@CHARM.NET > (410) 558-3900 > Billing Contact: > Potter, Kim (KP385) beacongp@CHARM.NET > (410) 583-1203 > > Record last updated on 05-Apr-96. > Record created on 05-Apr-96. > > Domain servers in listed order: > > NS-PRIME.CHARM.NET 199.0.70.21 > NS-BIS.CHARM.NET 199.0.70.23 > > ========================================================================= > > >From elrond@sowebo.charm.net Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969 > >Received: from sowebo.charm.net (sowebo.charm.net [199.0.70.21]) by ops.internic.net (8.7.4/InterNIC-RS) with SMTP id NAA01944 for ; Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:08:15 -0500 (EST) > >Message-ID: <9604051307.AA18582@sowebo.charm.net> > >Received: from elrond by sowebo.charm.net; Fri, 5 Apr 96 12:42 EST > >Subject: [NIC-960405.1461] NEW DOMAIN beacondirect.com > >To: hostmaster@internic.net > >Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:41:57 -0500 (EST) > >From: "Matt James" > >X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24] > >MIME-Version: 1.0 > >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII > >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > >X-MTS-Ticket: 960405.1461 > >X-MTS-Type: Domain > >X-MTS-Mode: Insert > >X-MTS-Priority: Normal > >X-MTS-Status: Open > >X-MTS-Timestamp: 960405130843 > >Status: O > > > > > > > >******************* Please DO NOT REMOVE Version Number ******************** > > > >Domain Version Number: 2.0 > > > >**************** Please see attached detailed instructions ***************** > > > >******** Only for registrations under ROOT, COM, ORG, NET, EDU, GOV ******** > > > >0. (N)ew (M)odify (D)elete....:N > > > >1. Purpose/Description........:computers > > > >2. Complete Domain Name.......:beacondirect.com > > > >Organization Using Domain Name > >3a. Organization Name..........:Beacon Group Inc. > >3b. Street Address.............:8320 Bellona Ave. Windsor Ct. Suite 250 > >3c. City.......................:Towson > >3d. State......................:Md > >3e. Postal Code................:21204 > >3f. Country....................:USA > > > >Administrative Contact > >4a. NIC Handle (if known)......:KP385 > >4b. Name (Last, First).........: > >4c. Organization Name..........: > >4d. Street Address.............: > >4e. City.......................: > >4f. State......................: > >4g. Postal Code................: > >4h. Country....................: > >4i. Phone Number...............: > >4j. E-Mailbox..................:beacongp@charm.net > > > >Technical Contact > >5a. NIC Handle (if known)......:CND4 > >5b. Name (Last, First).........: > >5c. Organization Name..........: > >5d. Street Address.............: > >5e. City.......................: > >5f. State......................: > >5g. Postal Code................: > >5h. Country....................: > >5i. Phone Number...............: > >5j. E-Mailbox..................:dns@charm.net > > > >Billing Contact > >6a. NIC Handle (if known)......:KP385 > >6b. Name (Last, First).........: > >6c. Organization Name..........: > >6d. Street Address.............: > >6e. City.......................: > >6f. State......................: > >6g. Postal Code................: > >6h. Country....................: > >6i. Phone Number...............: > >6j. E-Mailbox..................:beacongp@charm.net > > > >Primary Name Server > >7a. Primary Server Hostname....:ns-prime.charm.net > >7b. Primary Server Netaddress..:199.0.70.21 > > > >Secondary Name Server(s) > >8a. Secondary Server Hostname..:ns-bis.charm.net > >8b. Secondary Server Netaddress:199.0.70.23 > > > >Invoice Delivery > >9. (E)mail (P)ostal...........:E > > > >A domain name registration fee of $100.00 US is applicable. This charge > >will cover the $50.00 maintenance fee for two (2) years. After the two > >year period, an invoice will be sent on an annual basis. > > > >The party requesting registration of this name certifies that, to her/his > >knowledge, the use of this name does not violate trademark or other statutes. > > > >Registering a domain name does not confer any legal rights to that name and > >any disputes between parties over the rights to use a particular name are to > >be settled between the contending parties using normal legal methods > >(see RFC 1591). > > > >By applying for the domain name and through the use or continued > >use of the domain name, the applicant agrees to be bound by the terms of > >NSI's then current domain name policy (the 'Policy Statement') which is > >available at ftp://rs.internic.net/policy/internic/internic-domain-1.txt. > >(If this application is made through an agent, such as an Internet Service > >Provider, that agent accepts the responsibility to notify the applicant of > >the conditions on the registration of the domain name and to provide the > >applicant a copy of the current version of the Policy Statement, if so > >requested by the applicant.) The applicant acknowledges and agrees that > >NSI may change the terms and conditions of the Policy Statement from time > >to time as provided in the Policy Statement. > > > >The applicant agrees that if the use of the domain name is challenged by any > >third party, or if any dispute arises under this Registration Agreement, as > >amended, the applicant will abide by the procedures specified in the Policy > >Statement. > > > >This Registration Agreement shall be governed in all respects by > >and construed in accordance with the laws of the United States of America and > >of the State of California, without respect to its conflict of law rules. > >This Registration Agreement is the complete and exclusive agreement of the > >applicant and NSI ("parties") regarding domain names. It supersedes, and its > >terms govern, all prior proposals, agreements, or other communications between > >the parties. This Registration Agreement may only be amended as provided in > >the Policy Statement. > ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: [NIC-960405.1461] BEACONDIRECT.COM Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 10:35:57 -0400 (EDT) Hello folx, Umm I made a boo-boo and for some stupid reason sent this to the tmbg-list so please ignore it if you could ;) Matt (who's stupidity is beyond his comprehension) > > > > Registration for the domain shown below has been completed. > > Please let us know if any changes are required by resubmitting > > the domain template with a subject line reading MODIFY DOMAIN. > > > > The new information will not be visible via WHOIS until the > > next business day. > > > > Before this information is released to the Internet (normally > > accomplished via root server file updates on Mon, Wed, and Fri > > afternoons about 17:00 Eastern time) we will check to see that the > > primary and secondary name servers are reachable and contain the > > appropriate SOA and NS resource records. > > > > If your name servers are not properly configured, we will place your > > registration on hold until we hear from you. When you are ready to > > have the domain released to the network, contact us at any of > > the addresses below. > > > > Registering a domain name does not confer any legal rights to that > > name and any disputes between parties over the rights to use a > > particular name are to be settled between the contending parties > > using normal legal methods (See RFC 1591). > > > > InterNIC Domain Registration > > > > email domreg@internic.net > > voice (703) 742-4777 > > telnet, ftp, whois, wais rs.internic.net or 198.41.0.5 > > nslookup, dig ns.internic.net or 198.41.0.4 > > > > ========================================================================= > > > > Beacon Group Inc. (BEACONDIRECT-DOM) > > 8320 Bellona Ave. Windsor Ct. Suite 250 > > Towson, Md 21204 > > USA > > > > Domain Name: BEACONDIRECT.COM > > > > Administrative Contact: > > Potter, Kim (KP385) beacongp@CHARM.NET > > (410) 583-1203 > > Technical Contact: > > Dns, Charm Net (CND4) dns@CHARM.NET > > (410) 558-3900 > > Billing Contact: > > Potter, Kim (KP385) beacongp@CHARM.NET > > (410) 583-1203 > > > > Record last updated on 05-Apr-96. > > Record created on 05-Apr-96. > > > > Domain servers in listed order: > > > > NS-PRIME.CHARM.NET 199.0.70.21 > > NS-BIS.CHARM.NET 199.0.70.23 > > > > ========================================================================= > > > > >From elrond@sowebo.charm.net Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969 > > >Received: from sowebo.charm.net (sowebo.charm.net [199.0.70.21]) by ops.internic.net (8.7.4/InterNIC-RS) with SMTP id NAA01944 for ; Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:08:15 -0500 (EST) > > >Message-ID: <9604051307.AA18582@sowebo.charm.net> > > >Received: from elrond by sowebo.charm.net; Fri, 5 Apr 96 12:42 EST > > >Subject: [NIC-960405.1461] NEW DOMAIN beacondirect.com > > >To: hostmaster@internic.net > > >Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:41:57 -0500 (EST) > > >From: "Matt James" > > >X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24] > > >MIME-Version: 1.0 > > >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII > > >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > > >X-MTS-Ticket: 960405.1461 > > >X-MTS-Type: Domain > > >X-MTS-Mode: Insert > > >X-MTS-Priority: Normal > > >X-MTS-Status: Open > > >X-MTS-Timestamp: 960405130843 > > >Status: O > > > > > > > > > > > >******************* Please DO NOT REMOVE Version Number ******************** > > > > > >Domain Version Number: 2.0 > > > > > >**************** Please see attached detailed instructions ***************** > > > > > >******** Only for registrations under ROOT, COM, ORG, NET, EDU, GOV ******** > > > > > >0. (N)ew (M)odify (D)elete....:N > > > > > >1. Purpose/Description........:computers > > > > > >2. Complete Domain Name.......:beacondirect.com > > > > > >Organization Using Domain Name > > >3a. Organization Name..........:Beacon Group Inc. > > >3b. Street Address.............:8320 Bellona Ave. Windsor Ct. Suite 250 > > >3c. City.......................:Towson > > >3d. State......................:Md > > >3e. Postal Code................:21204 > > >3f. Country....................:USA > > > > > >Administrative Contact > > >4a. NIC Handle (if known)......:KP385 > > >4b. Name (Last, First).........: > > >4c. Organization Name..........: > > >4d. Street Address.............: > > >4e. City.......................: > > >4f. State......................: > > >4g. Postal Code................: > > >4h. Country....................: > > >4i. Phone Number...............: > > >4j. E-Mailbox..................:beacongp@charm.net > > > > > >Technical Contact > > >5a. NIC Handle (if known)......:CND4 > > >5b. Name (Last, First).........: > > >5c. Organization Name..........: > > >5d. Street Address.............: > > >5e. City.......................: > > >5f. State......................: > > >5g. Postal Code................: > > >5h. Country....................: > > >5i. Phone Number...............: > > >5j. E-Mailbox..................:dns@charm.net > > > > > >Billing Contact > > >6a. NIC Handle (if known)......:KP385 > > >6b. Name (Last, First).........: > > >6c. Organization Name..........: > > >6d. Street Address.............: > > >6e. City.......................: > > >6f. State......................: > > >6g. Postal Code................: > > >6h. Country....................: > > >6i. Phone Number...............: > > >6j. E-Mailbox..................:beacongp@charm.net > > > > > >Primary Name Server > > >7a. Primary Server Hostname....:ns-prime.charm.net > > >7b. Primary Server Netaddress..:199.0.70.21 > > > > > >Secondary Name Server(s) > > >8a. Secondary Server Hostname..:ns-bis.charm.net > > >8b. Secondary Server Netaddress:199.0.70.23 > > > > > >Invoice Delivery > > >9. (E)mail (P)ostal...........:E > > > > > >A domain name registration fee of $100.00 US is applicable. This charge > > >will cover the $50.00 maintenance fee for two (2) years. After the two > > >year period, an invoice will be sent on an annual basis. > > > > > >The party requesting registration of this name certifies that, to her/his > > >knowledge, the use of this name does not violate trademark or other statutes. > > > > > >Registering a domain name does not confer any legal rights to that name and > > >any disputes between parties over the rights to use a particular name are to > > >be settled between the contending parties using normal legal methods > > >(see RFC 1591). > > > > > >By applying for the domain name and through the use or continued > > >use of the domain name, the applicant agrees to be bound by the terms of > > >NSI's then current domain name policy (the 'Policy Statement') which is > > >available at ftp://rs.internic.net/policy/internic/internic-domain-1.txt. > > >(If this application is made through an agent, such as an Internet Service > > >Provider, that agent accepts the responsibility to notify the applicant of > > >the conditions on the registration of the domain name and to provide the > > >applicant a copy of the current version of the Policy Statement, if so > > >requested by the applicant.) The applicant acknowledges and agrees that > > >NSI may change the terms and conditions of the Policy Statement from time > > >to time as provided in the Policy Statement. > > > > > >The applicant agrees that if the use of the domain name is challenged by any > > >third party, or if any dispute arises under this Registration Agreement, as > > >amended, the applicant will abide by the procedures specified in the Policy > > >Statement. > > > > > >This Registration Agreement shall be governed in all respects by > > >and construed in accordance with the laws of the United States of America and > > >of the State of California, without respect to its conflict of law rules. > > >This Registration Agreement is the complete and exclusive agreement of the > > >applicant and NSI ("parties") regarding domain names. It supersedes, and its > > >terms govern, all prior proposals, agreements, or other communications between > > >the parties. This Registration Agreement may only be amended as provided in > > >the Policy Statement. > > > > -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:34:23 -0400 (EDT) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: 18 and under and DINGUS DAY. I am definatly NOT 18 and under. I am a ripe old 29, and I remember listening to TMBG on underground radio from Notre Dame University when I was a college freshman, huddled in my basement dorm room--thrilling to the sounds of DON'T LETS START, etc. Ten years ago. There are many of we elderly types on the list. What we lack in certain zeal, we make up for in long-term devotion. And a deep understanding. By the way, today is an important holiday that all TMBG fans should be aware of : the day after Easter is DINGUS DAY. Its always celebrated in South Bend, Indianapolis, and certain parts of Chicago. People from other places actually get on busses and ride to huge halls where they can celebrate dingus day en masse. THe roots are Polish, it has something do do with politics now, but once it was religious, and the main thing to do is to go somewhere, eat kilbasa (if you are a carnivore) and polka to accordian music, while drinking beer (if you dring beer). Anyway, at least everyone gets to polka. I know it is a holiday WIerd Al is fond of--I heard that from a Slovinian who has played sqeeze box with him in bowling alleys before. I don't know if TMBG are aware of the holiday, but I'm sure They would love it. This holiday, despite the unfortunate name , is not a joke. So, Happy DIngus Day from a former Dingus Queen (I have the tin-foil crown to prove it!), Miss Joni ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:43:39 -0400 (EDT) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: COWTOWN IS REAL There is a real live place in NJ called Cowtown, and they dont' have to just call it that, because that is the name of the town. I know someone who grew up there. Miss Joni ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:46:29 -0400 (EDT) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: queue and loos and favourites and stuff.. Yup,I tend to do that, too, Jenna, Jenny, whoever you are. ANd I am rather elderly, and since its gone on this long, I doubt it will stop. IT has toned down a bit since I've made my entry into the REAL WORLD. OTherwise, people look at you askance, and you might not get the job you really want. Miss Joni ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 10:12:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: My TMBG Videos Ben or--shoot, I forgot the spelling . . . Um, . . . Oh yeah! Ben or Been here. I read the Digest and saw someone talking about filming TMBG videos. I'm quite the *amateur* (very amateur) music video director, and I've shot stuff for both "Spy" studio versions, "I'll Sink Manhattan" (my favorite video), and "Snail Shell." I like to use TMBG songs because they are so humorous in nature without being a joke at which you laugh the first time you hear it. And I can get away with peculiarities in filming, because the songs are so peculiar. Anyway, Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE now features Benny Bell's "Everybody Wants My Fanny" --No person can continue life without laughing at this pun-loaded song.-- Love me, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 96 10:25 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Ages and directions to E-town boy, you kids make me feel ancient. :) i'm 26, an old married lady with a career... been a fan of TMBG for, oh, 10 years or so? and i'm FINALLY going to see them live, in E-town, my hometown, in four days! speaking of which, i'll try to get my spatially-gifted hubby to help me make up a set of directions to the venue tonight. i'll post them ASAP. see yaz! -j.l. see the constellation ride across the sky... ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Vital Information Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 10:11:34 -0500 (EST) Matthew James writes: > I was looking at the Power of DAS today because I was taping stuff > for my friend and noticed that Counterfeit Fake was on it! I thought > this was a new song but apparently it's an oldie! Weird eh? > If you're thinking of the song "Counterfeit Faker" that They've been performing at recent concerts, it is a different song with no apparent relation (other than a similar title). Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about, so ignore me. m@t ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Vital Information Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 10:12:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >I was looking at the Power of DAS today because I was taping stuff >for my friend and noticed that Counterfeit Fake was on it! I thought >this was a new song but apparently it's an oldie! Weird eh? It appears that the "concept" has been floating around for some time, although the song "Counterfeit Fake" on PoDaS is 100% different from "Counterfeit Faker" as performed in recent concerts. ObNonTMBG: I saw Barenaked Ladies in concert for the first time last night (the last time, the outdoor concert was "tornadoed out".) They are fantastic live. Highly recommended. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 13:41:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: Vienna, Virginia I didn't have any problems with my thermostat, but my alternator went on me, and I screwed up my alignment. Also, the only tape that my tape player refuses to eat is Live in NYC. That will be all, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If I had a home page, it's address would be here. But I don't. Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 13:18:11 -0500 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) Subject: Madison show Adam asked: "And what did you all think of the Swales?" Actually, I spent their set trying to figure out why they sounded so familiar, then it came to me: Material Issue (Valerie Loves Me, c. 1991). I thought they were okay. Chris wrote: <> They skipped this one at the Madison show. But the soundtrack comes out this week. Vix *--------------------------------------------------------------- Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen 758 WARF/610 Walnut St. CHS Public Affairs Madison WI 53705 (608) 263-3466 Fax: (608) 263-6394 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 14:22:54 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: age? / Hello > 12 huh. Wow... I am only 17. I wonder how many <18 people are on > the list... > EVERY BODY RESPOND TO THIS! I guess I'm an "EVERY BODY." Sorry, I'm 19. ********************************************* >Does anyone have info on John F's Record Club or no how to get info on it? For a membership to Hello recording club, write to: Hello PO Box 551 Palisades, NY 10964 or call: 1-800-HELLO-41 Sorry, but I know the current prices or artists. Enjoy! Cynthia D. Batson Northwestern University ph: 847-332-9052 c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 15:52:25 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Desert Island music Finally!!! They realize how cool They are! Just today i got the new Columbia House book to order CD's from, and way in the back there is this section called Desert Island Discs, that they picked to have if they were stuck somewhere, like a desert island, and one of them is Apollo 18!!!!!! I sort of like Columbia house now :)) <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 16:30:35 -0400 Subject: Re: Kids in the Hall??? In a message dated 96-04-07 19:25:52 EDT, Kaylum@aol.com writes: >(and largely responsible >for my discovery of TMBG to boot) oooooo, I wanna know how ------------------------------ Subject: Re: "They could be windmills or they could be giants" Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 16:15:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Anne Warren King: >Oh, I was listening to my friend's Poster Children CD, and in one song >there was the line "They could be windmills or they could be giants." >It was really spooky because I wasn't paying much attention when I heard >the line and I wasn't sure if I was quite sane. I guess TMBG isn't the only >band that watched TMBG, the movie. The "windmills or giants" imagery comes from Don Quixote, which was the basis for the TMBG movie. "They might be giants" is a literal quotation from typical translations from the original Spanish DQ. -cb ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Subject: Re: I don't know them Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 17:31:58 -0500 (CDT) Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 writes: > My sister, Kathryn, is excellent friends with the members of Moxy > Fruvous, and MF once opened for TMBG. Cool! I'm listening to Moxy Fruvous "Bargainville" right now as we speak. I like it! Also, does anyone else on the list like the Rugburns? -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "And I'll never never know what you never never never want to know when you know what you are O" - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 18:41:33 -0400 From: pap@idirect.com (Pietrus) Subject: Re: 18 and under and DINGUS DAY. Actually, what you do on Dingus day is you pour water on unsuspecting people's heads. Really. You sneak up on them (this works especially well if they're still in bed), throw water on their head and yell "Smigus Dingus!" If you are smart you will then run away as fast as you possibly can. It's kind of a Polish version of April Fool's day. love, Julia, who is still wearing a towel on her head from this morning, and is also under 18. >By the way, today is an important holiday that all TMBG fans should be >aware of : the day after Easter is DINGUS DAY. Its always celebrated in >South Bend, Indianapolis, and certain parts of Chicago. People from >other places actually get on busses and ride to huge halls where they can >celebrate dingus day en masse. THe roots >are Polish, it has something do do with politics now, but once it was >religious, and the main thing to do is to go somewhere, eat kilbasa (if >you are a carnivore) and polka to accordian music, while drinking beer >(if you dring beer). Anyway, at least everyone gets to polka. I know it >is a holiday >WIerd Al is fond of--I heard that from a Slovinian who has played sqeeze >box with him in bowling alleys before. I don't know if TMBG are aware of >the holiday, but I'm sure They would love it. love and other neat stuff, Julia "All the people are so happy now, their heads are caving in..." -TMBG Curtsey while you're thinking what to say. It saves time. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 18:18:18 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: Good Stuff (AGES) On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, The Administrator wrote: > > Number 23- My birthday is 4/21/83 which is 18, but if you add 2+3 to get > > fiave and add that to 18 then subtract my number of TMBG concerts (0) you get > > 23!!!!! (8 D > > 12 huh. Wow... I am only 17. I wonder how many <18 people are on > the list... > > EVERY BODY RESPOND TO THIS! > > i'll be 19 in 4 days. cool huh. -john ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 05:37:00 -0600 Subject: Re: 18 and under and DINGUS DAY. >I am definatly NOT 18 and under. I am a ripe old 29, and I remember >listening to TMBG on underground radio from Notre Dame University when I >was a college freshman, huddled in my basement dorm room--thrilling to >the sounds of DON'T LETS START, etc. Ten years ago. > >There are many of we elderly types on the list. What we lack in certain >zeal, we make up for in long-term devotion. And a deep understanding. A-HA! But what about those of us who have both??!?!? I am not only only 18, but I have been listening for at least 8-10 years...now if only I could improve my memory. >By the way, today is an important holiday that all TMBG fans should be >aware of : the day after Easter is DINGUS DAY. Its always celebrated in >South Bend, Indianapolis, and certain parts of Chicago. People from >other places actually get on busses and ride to huge halls where they can >celebrate dingus day en masse. THe roots >are Polish, it has something do do with politics now, but once it was >religious, and the main thing to do is to go somewhere, eat kilbasa (if >you are a carnivore) and polka to accordian music, while drinking beer >(if you dring beer). Anyway, at least everyone gets to polka. I know it >is a holiday The holiday is called Smingus Dingus (Shmin-goos Din-goos)...You are supposed to soak unsuspecting people with water, and then you yell "Smingus Dingus" and it's OK, they can't get mad at you. In the older days, people would dump entire buckets of water, but nowadays they just use water guns. I beleive it is as old as the roman era. (This information from Rabid Child's Mother) >This holiday, despite the unfortunate name , is not a joke. NOPE! And I think it's a great name and a cool-sunding holiday...just don't try to pull it on someone in South-Harlem. >So, Happy DIngus Day from a former Dingus Queen (I have the tin-foil >crown to prove it!), > >Miss Joni ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 19:27:55 -0400 Subject: Re: Vital Information In a message dated 96-04-08 01:32:15 EDT, jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) writes: > >>Hmmm, did you American list types ever get extremely jealous of British, >>Canadian >and Austrailian list types who get to spell favorite >>"favourite?" I did. > >>-jenny, who's learned not to slide down banisters in courdoroy pants. > > I always just spelled it that way anyhow... And I don't stand in line >for the bathroom, I stand in the queue for the loo... > > Okay, so this has nothing to do with TMBG, but do any other Americans >do this sort of thing? I'm not THAT weird, am I? Am I?! I even pronounce those words differently like "favoooorite" you know? hmm, maybe I'm just a weird Citizen of the U.S. (do any Canadians on the list get angry when they realize that they are Americans too and we "Americans" just claim it as our own because Citizen of the U.S. is too long to say?) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 18:34:33 -0500 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) John Iacoletti wrote: > Cool! I'm listening to Moxy Fruvous "Bargainville" right now as we speak= =2E > I like it! Also, does anyone else on the list like the Rugburns? I'm listening to Movy Fr=FCvous' album Wood right now...I love it; I = also have Moxy's album Bargainville (I have The B Album on order at = the record store. I also love the Rugburns...I have Taking the World by Donkey. The = 'burns are gonna be here in C-U on Wed, but I have an exam and = cannot go...maybe I can still go after my exam :) Also, check the = March issue of WIRED (my favorite magazine in the whole world) = TtWbD, was reviewed...quite favorably. Also, you can get on a = Rugburns tour date mailing list by emailing RugburnRob@aol.com. Also...I'm 19, going on 20 for whoever was asking. On to TMBG...what the heck is SEXXY about? I think it's about a = prostitute...some of the lyrics were something like "...a cookie in = one hand, in the other SEXXY...!" and some of the others led me to = that idea. Another guy I went to the show with thought it was about = masturbation...two VERY unlikely topics for THEY...Thoughts? Later all... Mike -- = Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Dept. of Computer = Science (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Hello = Recording Club. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 18:40:02 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Mike Schaefer: >On to TMBG...what the heck is SEXXY about? I think it's about a Good question. I only remember two lines from this song: She wants to be a man She's got another plan *BEEP* To continue analysis, please insert additional lyrics now. *BEEP* -cb ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 18:40:57 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: Desert Island music On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Amy wrote: > Finally!!! They realize how cool They are! Just today i got the new > Columbia House book to order CD's from, and way in the back there is this > section called Desert Island Discs, that they picked to have if they were > stuck somewhere, like a desert island, and one of them is Apollo 18!!!!!! I > sort of like Columbia house now :)) > <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> > -- > Registered ICC User > check out http://www.usefulware.com/icc.html > > i think columbia house is going to start sending me stuff again, they stopped for a while. probably because i didn't pay them for about a year. oh well. i don't think they like me much. -john ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Dingus Egg Smingoos Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:53:57 -0400 (EDT) Whatever that holiday is called. How come I've never heard of this? How come I wrote a fragment at the beginning of this message? how come I keep saying how come? Is this a non-East coast thing? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 19:50:10 -0400 Subject: Re: Vital Information In a message dated 96-04-08 02:05:58 EDT, someguy wrote: >I have yet to find a "normal" person... > Hey everybody look, I'm THE normal person heh heh ------------------------------ From: Blewis17@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 21:31:56 -0400 Subject: gnikcartkcaB (?ti teg) Does anyone know any backwards messages on any TMBG songs? I know that if you play Theyll sink Manhatten backwards at the beginning it is the NYPD on the phone... Does anyone know of any others? Also, where can I find the Mono Puff cd? Ive looked long and hard at my local Best Buy. Matt "Run over my body with your pickup truck and finish what you started, because Im done." ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 21:52:23 -0400 Subject: Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) >>On to TMBG...what the heck is SEXXY about? I think it's about a > >Good question. I only remember two lines from this song: > >She wants to be a man >She's got another plan > >*BEEP* To continue analysis, please insert additional lyrics now. *BEEP* Well, I don't remember any more lyrics, and others are in more in-the-know about it than I (Brooks?), but I've been told that it _is_ about a man (possibly a transvestite or transexual), and that the 2 X's and Y refer to chromosomes. Hmmm... Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Apr 96 22:25 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Directions to Elizabethtown!!! alright, kiddies, my hubby helped me put this together, so if you get lost let's blame him. ok? sorry they're a little vague in spots, but i believe this'll get ya there. ok. first you find your way onto 283. this is a highway that runs between Harrisburg and Lancaster. for this part, you'll have to use a map, because i don't know where all of you *are*. :) anyway, look on the map, get to 283, and get off at the exit marked "Elizabethtown & Hershey (rt 743)" or somesuch. there will be a sign indicating that this exit is the correct one for Elizabethtown College. depending on where you're coming from, the next or previous exit is for "Rheems & Elizabethtown (rt 230)". don't take that one. so get off at the correct exit and head towards Elizabethtown (there'll be a little green sign at the bottom of the off-ramp to guide you). go straight through the stop light, go down the hill, and you'll come (eventually) to a mandatory right turn. go right. (duh.) the road you're on will come to a T, and you'll have a stop sign (or possibly a stop light--they've been talking about putting one in). turn left at the T, and you will be heading into downtown Elizabethtown. it's kinda dull. :) travel on for a while, going straight through the stop light at the square, and through the next stop light as well. then you'll go down a hill, and at the bottom of the hill, you should turn left. i believe there is a small sign indicating this is the turn for the college. so then you'll be on College Avenue. go through the first stop sign, and turn right at the second (this intersection is the corner of campus). turn left onto campus, pass the big church on your right. you'll travel on for a goodly amount of time, up a hill, over several speed bumps... by this point, you should be seeing other people heading to the concert. there may be signs telling you where to park, in which case you should obey them. but if you see no signs, you'll eventually come to a big lot. park there. Thompson Gymnasium is pretty much right there by that lot. hope to see you all there!!! let me know if you don't understand any of the above. it seems to clear to me now, but i know i rambled a bit... DST-fever. :) i want my hour back!!! -j.l. my coat contained a furnace where there used to be a guy ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 23:09:12 -0400 Subject: Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) In a message dated 96-04-08 19:50:50 EDT, you write: >On to TMBG...what the heck is SEXXY about? I think it's about a >prostitute...some of the lyrics were something like "...a cookie in >one hand, in the other SEXXY...!" and some of the others led me to >that idea. Another guy I went to the show with thought it was about >masturbation...two VERY unlikely topics for THEY...Thoughts? hmm, I thought always thought Actual Size was about a prostitute, "She's got all the money, money couldn't buy" "She's got something special, that someone left behind" (like an STD or a baby) and then there's that line about her picture on the post office wall. See, it's all getting peiced together now... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 23:09:11 -0400 Subject: Re: gnikcartkcaB (?ti teg) In a message dated 96-04-08 21:59:29 EDT, you write: > >Does anyone know any backwards messages on any TMBG songs? I know that if >you play Theyll sink Manhatten backwards at the beginning it is the NYPD on >the phone... Does anyone know of any others? Also, where can I find the Mono >Puff cd? Ive looked long and hard at my local Best Buy. there's some backwards singing in Hearing Aid on Flood, "your mercy lord" is the actual backwards part and it's followed by "your mercy" forward... there's a backwards message on the Demo of Which Describes How Your Feeling that says "They Might Be Giants wanted to include a verse about the suffering people in the world, but we couldn't figure out where to put in the song" unfortunately I don't have the song on tape, but I do have that clip on my webpage at http://www.dragonfire.net/~Ruprecht/HallOfHeads/ the last backwards thing I can think of is the entire end of Subliminal which is so obvious you probably just over looked it... oh yeah, there's always the fake backwards singing on the end of Hideaway Folk Family me who thinks me is the only one who sang hideaway folk family when me saw the preview for hideaway some time last year even if it was the stupidest looking movie on the face ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 23:09:47 -0400 Subject: Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) In a message dated 96-04-08 22:06:55 EDT, you write: > >Well, I don't remember any more lyrics, and others are in more in-the-know >about it than I (Brooks?), but I've been told that it _is_ about a man >(possibly a transvestite or transexual), and that the 2 X's and Y refer to >chromosomes. Hmmm... hey I learned in bio class that you're all super deformed and sterile if you have two X's and a Y... that's what they (not capitolized) call a hermafordite (or something of a similar spelling) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 23:11:44 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Please don't kill me... Okay, the political thing again. I'd like to start a little discussion group about politics in general, via my AOHELL account. SMALL GROUP, i.e. max 10 people, just to discuss politics in general. Totally seperate from this list. Drop me a line @ idiotnot@aol.com if you're interested. BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Never trust a politician who feels your pain --Me, I wrote that. ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 00:40:05 -0400 Subject: Record clubs What's up docs? Record clubs: I hate them! I was with BMG, and if I didn't send the order in on time, the sent me some crappy CD no one in their right mind would ever listen to and when I sent it back they kicked me out! When will it all end?!? I'm sorry. I'll calm down. Really. JaN+sChMAn If you forget what you're thinking, fire alarms go off in your head you live in the nightgown of the sullen moon- TMBG I'm your only friend I'm not your only friend but I'm a little glowing friend but really I'm not actually your friend but I am- Blue canary ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 00:52:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: I don't know them (Rugburns, Moxy & SEXXY) On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Mike Schaefer wrote: > On to TMBG...what the heck is SEXXY about? I think it's about a > prostitute...some of the lyrics were something like "...a cookie in > one hand, in the other SEXXY...!" and some of the others led me to > that idea. Another guy I went to the show with thought it was about > masturbation...two VERY unlikely topics for THEY...Thoughts? > Later all... > Mike S.E.X.X.Y. is about a transvestite. I was informed of this before I ever heard the song, by afriend who stole the lyrics from Flans at one of the weekly Mercury Lounge shows in March. I'll quote the only lyrics that I remember: "She wants to be your man." I think that about sums it up. When I heard the song, I listened carefully, and that is what it appeared to be about. Oh, wait. Remembered some more: "X is for the extra." Yeah. What can you say after that? --Jack Curley jcurley@ramapo.edu http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:24:11 +0200 RE: Australian Import "John Henry" The Aussie import contains the album (surprise) and a live CD with six tracks on it from the John Henry tour. I'm afraid I can't remember the track listing but knowing TMBG, this means you'll be paying about 20 Deutschmark / 10ish quid / 20ish American dollars over the odds for about 15 minutes-worth of music. The decision, should you decide to take it, is yours. PS - Can anyone send me details of the fan club? I left my details at a gig I went to but they never sent anything. It'd be nice to know if there are any plans to tour Europe in the near future as well. Cheers. Keith Email: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-100 ******************************