Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-101 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 101 Wednesday, 10 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: your mail Re: Ages Ben or Been's Rebuttal: _Empire of the Empirical_ (none) (none) ...who woulda thunk?? Linking Theme??? Re: Ben or Been's Rebuttal: _Empire of the Empirical_ Re: Ben or Been's Rebuttal: _Empire of the Empirical_ Spiralling Shape GASP! Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-100 Re: gnikcartkcaB (?ti teg) Re: Record clubs Re: Ages Ages... Re: Vital Information ben or been etc. Re: Ages Re: GASP! Re: ...who woulda thunk?? re:ages Re: Record clubs re:ages the .FLI animation re:ages Re: GASP! Chicago Radio, "The Bear" Hello '96 "The Rampage" half mast Re: Ages flieds on my windship Ben or Been's Response to His Critic Mock-flame. :) Fun, isn't it? Re: Mock-flame. :) Fun, isn't it? Re: Mock-flame. :) Fun, isn't it? the top 20 Here's a topic... Re: Ages... help me!! Re: Ben or Been's Response to His Critic Re: flieds on my windship SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) To Ryan S.!!! (sorry everyone!) Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) Re: gnikcartkcaB (?ti teg) Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) Freedom o' Speech A concert Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) Re: A concert Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:43:57 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: your mail On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl wrote: > RE: Australian Import "John Henry" > > The Aussie import contains the album (surprise) and a live CD with six tracks > on it from the John Henry tour. I'm afraid I can't remember the track listing > but knowing TMBG, this means you'll be paying about 20 Deutschmark / 10ish > quid / 20ish American dollars over the odds for about 15 minutes-worth of > music. The decision, should you decide to take it, is yours. I got mine for 21 quid (ie. about seven quid more than standard price) last year. The live tracks are: Birdhouse in Your Soul, The Statue got me High, Particle Man, Twistin', Don't Let's Start and another that I've forgotten. I think it lasts about eighteen minutes. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 09:39:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Bird Subject: Re: Ages On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Rick C. Petty wrote: > Once I went to get my haircut at my hometown and the barber/stylist asked > me what grade I was in. I looked at her straight in the eye and said > "I'm a senior in college" and she stopped talking the rest of the time. > That was the shortest haircut I had, let me tell you... > This has happened to me before, too.....though at least she thought I was in high school (I'm 23). And I'm terribly sorry, but I have to disagree with whoever it was who said that the majority of this list is under 18. I'd guess the REAL majority are college students. Just because you youngsters post more, doesn't mean you're the only ones here. :) Plus, this list (in various incarnations) has been around since long before there were minors galore on the net.... > > --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape > If you *REALLY* hated Netscape, you'd leave off the closing tag! :) How about

I really hate Netscape! Really, there are much better mail and newsreaders. The browser part doesn't suck too badly though, aside from being a memory hog. Bob -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:02:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben or Been's Rebuttal: _Empire of the Empirical_ Ben or Been here. My response to the rebuttal offered to me, concerning my post proposing the title _Empire of the Empirical_. On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote way too much to reprint. > BUT, we can summarize it as thus: > > > TMBG has been trying to figure out the universe. THEY have taken one > > topic per album, pondered it , and eventually dismissed it. From their > > prevous discoveries, we can assume that THEY are heading towards an > > empirical view of the universe, so the next album should be titled > > _Empire of the Empirical_, or something like that. I believe that this is an adequate summary of my dissertation. (!) > My rebuttal: [Snowball's] [Jack's] > > I don't think so. I think you've drawn these conclusions, not > THEY. I would agree that *I* drew the conclusions concerning the themes of each album. > I think that the occasional wrongly heard lyric, that you > demonstrated in your letter, has lead you to a skewed vision of the big > picture. In reflection, I did note that I misquoted a lyric from "Stomp Box." I was away from my lyric book and quoted "Shout your missive." When I went back to check the book, it read "Blast your missive." I was not intending to manipulate evidence by misquoting. However, I do *not* think this example of misquoting undermines my argument, as (1) I believe that "blast" and "shout" in the context of this song communicate very similar ideas, and as (2) I have other lyrical evidence about messages (missives) that support my ideas. I am not aware of other "wrongly heard" lyrics--perhaps because I don't know what I've wrongly heard. I do pay attention to lyric sheets, and believe that *almost* all of the lyrics in the liner notes of their CDs correspond to the words sung (an exception, e.g., would be "worst" for "best" in "I Should Be Allowed to Think"). I think that I've supplied enough strong support for a valid interpretation of the TMBG album catalog. I do not seriously believe that I've misheard so many lyrics that I have a "skewed vision of the big picture." > John Linnell once said that THEY don't assign meanings to their > songs. So THEY probably don't assign meanings to their albums either. Your deduction is impeccable: If one says that his group doesn't assign meanings to its songs, Then the group doesn't assign meanings to its songs. If the group doesn't assign meanings to its songs, Then the group probably doesn't assign meanings to its albums. Linnell says They Might Be Giants doesn't assign meanings to its songs. Therefore, They Might Be Giants probably doesn't assign meanings to its albums. HOWEVER, I'm not one who believes in the powers of deduction in every case--this case being one. Linnell could have told a half-truth, or lied, or not thought of a particular song that did have some "assigned" meaning, or spoken for Flansburgh without his consent. [That is, Flansburgh may "assign meanings" to his songs, only Linnell does not know it and is therefore not a good spokesperson.] Also, just because on an individual-song-level songs may appear meaningless, I do not think we can assume that "probably" on the album-level there is an absence of "meaning." Sometimes the unclear parts can make a very complex but clearer whole, as in cubist painting. As for individual song meaning, I look at "Santa's Beard" and see rather vividly a relationship containing jealousy. I look at "Unrelated Thing" and see rather vividly a relationship in which the woman is withholding something from the man. I look at "Subliminal" and see rather vividly the theme of the Subliminal. Granted, I do not assign these meanings as Absolutes and try to impose them on people as Undeniable Truth (and, thus, you may disagree with what I see "rather vividly")--I try to express the song meanings which as *I* observe them, and try to tie together the meanings into a bigger whole--a more abstract meaning, again which I am not trying to impose upon another. I like the disclaimer on the bottom of psychic ads: For Entertainment Purposes Only. Believe in it if you want to. Thus, by saying that I think the title of the next TMBG album should be _Empire of the Empirical_, I am not trying to say it must be that title. I am making a strong recommendation based on the facts at hand (as I see them). That's the inductive method. And that's different from the deductive method. > Even > if THEY've drawn the same conclusions that you say THEY have, there is > other room to roam besides the empirical standpoint. I definitely agree. > How about this: > THEY tried all thet other stuff, and now THEY realize the > meaning: To have fun, and make good music for all their listeners to > enjoy. THEY could call the album _Fill In The Blank_, or whatever THEY > feel like calling it, cause HEY, it's their album. Sure, it's their album. I like what you say, and I like your title too. [It made me laugh! It would be somewhat apropos.] That's a possibility. But so's mine I think, and I try to show why it's a possibility by offerring what I think is worthy evidence. > But that's just my take on the situation. Draw your own > conclusions. Please. > --Jack Curley > jcurley@ramapo.edu > http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn Thank you for your rebuttal, Jack. If you still feel sceptical, I'm interested to hear your side again. Or if other Digesters have two cents, contribute it. If you would like an e-mail copy of the "essay" to which this debate refers, I would gladly forward it to you--just write me. Sincerely, Ben or Been The meaning lies in the person. ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 9 Apr 96 08:40:00 MDT ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 35 I saw this import at Tower Records in Denver for over $30.00. I was tempted but could not afford that price. Russ ----- Begin Included Message ----- ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:24:11 +0200 RE: Australian Import "John Henry" The Aussie import contains the album (surprise) and a live CD with six tracks on it from the John Henry tour. I'm afraid I can't remember the track listing but knowing TMBG, this means you'll be paying about 20 Deutschmark / 10ish quid / 20ish American dollars over the odds for about 15 minutes-worth of music. The decision, should you decide to take it, is yours. PS - Can anyone send me details of the fan club? I left my details at a gig I went to but they never sent anything. It'd be nice to know if there are any plans to tour Europe in the near future as well. Cheers. Keith Email: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl ----- End Included Message ----- ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: KKBOWMAN@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU Date: Tue, 09 Apr 96 10:18:58 CDT Subject: ...who woulda thunk?? I was at my belly dancing class on saturday and I was looking through the different albums my instructor had.....and on one tape there was a mix of more "americanized/novelty" belly dance songs... she had 'walk like an egyptian', etc... and she also had 'CONSTANTINOPLE'!!!!!!! I was so happy I coulda pee'ed in my pants!!! So I said...is this an older song, or is it by a newer band? (onna counta there's two versions and all). She said it sounded newer...so I said 'are you sure...' and then i sang the whole song for her right there. (ignoring all the stares from my fellow dancers of belly). She said, 'yup, that's it' ....... So now I get to be the annoying student who says at every pause... 'Let's dance to Constantinple...pleaseohpleaseohplease'!! just thought i'd share. -kit *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* G .~~~^} if it wasn't for disappointments, U ..~ / i wouldn't have any appointments M {`` / --tmbg B ! O O ! Y ! ._. ! kit bowman (KKBOWMAN@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU) *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 16:48:57 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Linking Theme??? I thought that whoever posted that theory about a linking theme in Their albums might be interested to be reminded of this, which was posted to the list a while back: Here's an article from Toronto's eye magazine, Nov. 3, 1994, written by Perry Stern. FOUR OF A PERFECT PAIR They Might Be Giants double their pleasure Linnell: But John and I started out just doing the same kind of records over and over again. Our first four albums were recorded with just two of us and no concepts to link songs together. We were just taking our song and turning them into records-which is to say that each record had a lot of different styles, but it was always just us. Sorry to rain on your parade, but it pretty much blows that theory out of the water. Unless you want to try and argue that Linnell's not being entirely truthful again or Flansburgh's going it alone. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 11:54:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: Ben or Been's Rebuttal: _Empire of the Empirical_ I think that your wrong claiming that the Johns intended each album to have a specific meaning. If Lin said They didn't intend any special meanings, then they didn't. You are entitled to believe anything you want about the music, however. Just don't stubbornly claim that you, and only you knew what the They were thinking when they made their albums. Take it easy, Wubba (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) SAVE MST3K (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 12:20:16 -0500 From: "jonas (my name is)" Subject: Re: Ben or Been's Rebuttal: _Empire of the Empirical_ i contrary to i guess everyone else on the list thought that your theory was GREAT. who cares if They say there is no link. anyone ever seen more than one interview talking about a particular song (with the exception of birdhouse...)? they always say that whatever song they happen to be talking about at the time is about something completely different than what they said the last time. i've seen it many times, so i believe that they intend things to be interpreted however anyone intends them to be. i bet they would like Ben or Been's analysis of albums... paul the conquerererer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:40:25 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Spiralling Shape Just got the Brain Candy soundtrack today. Wowzas! *Much* better, IMHO, than Testimonial Dinner was. I think were just staring to see the best of Linnell's musicality. Spiralling Shape has the same magic about it as End of the Tour does. Anyhoo, I've transcribed the lyrics to the best of my ability and posted them at the website (http://www.tmbg.org/). If those of you who have the album could take the time to proofread them, I'm be grateful. Thanks. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Member DNRC O- | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 12:37:59 -0500 (CDT) From: jenny Subject: GASP! Ok, I was sitting in my history class yesterday, trying to find something to divert my attention from the lecture, when I started to read the shirt of the girl in front of me. It was a sorority shirt, and they had all sorts of goofy inside jokes on the back, the kind of things you'd have to be a sorority girl to understand, I suppose. They were in alphabetical order, by the way, and when I got down to the s's, I was shocked to see..."Shoehorn with teeth." Zowee! On a sorority shirt! I guess this proves that They really are Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love, so much so that EVERYONE loves them. Cool, eh? -jenny, who's trying to figure out why the flags here are almost always at half-mast. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 12:47:41 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-100 >Adam asked: "And what did you all think of the Swales?" I didn't like them all that much. It vaguely reminded me of seeing REO Speedwagon when I was in the 7th grade. I don't know why. Plus they said that they knew a Jethro Tull song and didn't play any:( >Chris wrote: <Madison or Northwestern concerts? For some reason the song completely >evades my memory (and it's not listed on my setlist from the madison show).>> I don't think they played it at the Northwestern show, either. Plus: my thoughts on the Northwestern show: It was verrrry warm in there. But I got up near the stage and they had fans on the stage. Linnell said that they made him feel like the Moody Blues. They played a lot of *new* songs. This means that a new album is in the works! They also played different versions of their songs--the Miscellaneous T version of "Hotel Detective," and they also did "Spider." I think it was their first time playing that at a show. Some people didn't like that they didn't know all the songs by heart, but imagine buying the new album, and remembering that you already heard those songs in concert! I was kind of dissapointed that Linnell didn't bring out the bari sax, though:) ---Cyndi Cynthia D. Batson Northwestern University ph: 847-332-9052 c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:20:29 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: gnikcartkcaB (?ti teg) On Mon, 8 Apr 1996 Blewis17@aol.com wrote: > Does anyone know any backwards messages on any TMBG songs? I know that if > you play Theyll sink Manhatten backwards at the beginning it is the NYPD on > the phone... Does anyone know of any others? Also, where can I find the Mono > Puff cd? Ive looked long and hard at my local Best Buy. I once thought there was a backwards message on Hide Away Folk Family, but when I played it backwards, it made even LESS sense, but it sounded really cool! In fact I started playing a lot of songs backwards because they actually sound better! --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 14:21:08 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Record clubs On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 Jantschman@aol.com wrote: > Record clubs: I hate them! I was with BMG, and if I didn't send the order in > on time, the sent me some crappy CD no one in their right mind would ever > listen to and when I sent it back they kicked me out! When will it all end?!? I got tons of cheap CD's from both BMG & Columbia House. If I got a CD I didn't want, I just wrote "Return to Sender" on the package & dropped it in the mail... They can't charge you for something you don't order. They even pay for shipping! That's in fact how I bought all my TMBG CD's... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 14:27:03 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Ages On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Robert Bird wrote: > > --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape > > If you *REALLY* hated Netscape, you'd leave off the closing tag! :) > How about

I really hate Netscape! Good idea! Thankx. > Really, there are much better mail and newsreaders. The browser part > doesn't suck too badly though, aside from being a memory hog. Well, it's just that it's becoming a standard and isn't following a standard and... Well I just have to program for it for work and it's a love/hate relationship: I LOVE to HATE it! ;) --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:03:45 -0700 (GMT-0700) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Ages... I am the wonderfully boring age of 19 at this point...I guess you could call it the searching-for-your-Major-age, seeing as I just changed my major for the third. I am now an English/Computer Science Major with a minor in Math. Exciting stuff huh? I would be a philosophy minor but *Sniff* my school doesnt offer it. -Joyce Joyce Frost the psychotic poet crazed by Dandelions... frostjo@Math.Enmu.edu "My room is comfortably small with rubber lining the walls, and there's someone always calling my name. He calls when I'm alone. He calls when I'm not home and he calls when I'm left out in the rain. I'm insane..." -TheyMightBeGiants "Existance is futile..." -Joyce Frost ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:11:16 -0700 (GMT-0700) From: Joyce Frost Subject: Re: Vital Information On the subject of normal, my deffinition of normal has always been the elves at the north pole. I mean really how much more "Normal" can you get then some short guy/girl with big ears who spends his life making toys and cleaning up after reindeer. The only way I will believe in normal is if that is the deffinition, because normal truely is an idea without presidence... Just my thoughts... -Joyce Joyce Frost the psychotic poet crazed by Dandelions... frostjo@Math.Enmu.edu "My room is comfortably small with rubber lining the walls, and there's someone always calling my name. He calls when I'm alone. He calls when I'm not home and he calls when I'm left out in the rain. I'm insane..." -TheyMightBeGiants "Existance is futile..." -Joyce Frost On Mon, 8 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 96-04-08 02:05:58 EDT, someguy wrote: > > >I have yet to find a "normal" person... > > > Hey everybody look, I'm THE normal person heh heh > ------------------------------ From: milk Subject: ben or been etc. Date: Tue, 9 Apr 96 15:18:25 CDT i thought that ben or been's whole interpretation thingy was nifty. it was fun to read, interesting to think about, and i don't even care if he's right or wrong. i just felt like he was getting a few flames, there, and i thought that people should perhaps mellow out and enjoy the groove of multiple opinions. i seriously doubt that the johns would consider it a major affront to them that someone would interpret their albums and choose to ignore what they say in interviews as not necessarily the truth. i just thought i'd stick up for you, beeen. <--(shorthand) farside ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 15:34:16 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: Ages On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Robert Bird wrote: > > > On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Rick C. Petty wrote: > > > Once I went to get my haircut at my hometown and the barber/stylist asked > > me what grade I was in. I looked at her straight in the eye and said > > "I'm a senior in college" and she stopped talking the rest of the time. > > That was the shortest haircut I had, let me tell you... > > > > This has happened to me before, too.....though at least she thought I was > in high school (I'm 23). And I'm terribly sorry, but I have to disagree > with whoever it was who said that the majority of this list is under 18. > I'd guess the REAL majority are college students. Just because you > youngsters post more, doesn't mean you're the only ones here. :) Plus, > this list (in various incarnations) has been around since long before > there were minors galore on the net.... > > > > > --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape > > > > If you *REALLY* hated Netscape, you'd leave off the closing tag! :) > How about

I really hate Netscape! > > Really, there are much better mail and newsreaders. The browser part > doesn't suck too badly though, aside from being a memory hog. > > > Bob > > -- > Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, > rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... > University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." > http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants > i would have to agree with bob. i think the majority of us are in college, or at least live there even if we don't do alot of work. -john ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 15:43:42 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: GASP! On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, jenny wrote: > -jenny, who's trying to figure out why the flags here are almost always at > half-mast. > ya' know, i've been wondering that too. weird. -john ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 16:51:46 -0400 Subject: Re: ...who woulda thunk?? In a message dated 96-04-09 11:38:15 EDT, KKBOWMAN@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU writes: > >So I said...is this an older song, or is it by a >newer band? (onna counta there's two versions and >all). She said it sounded newer...so I said 'are you >sure...' and then i sang the whole song for her right >there. (ignoring all the stares from my fellow dancers >of belly). She said, 'yup, that's it' ....... >So now I get to be the annoying student who says at >every pause... but the original song has the exact same lyrics as the Giants' version so how do you know w/out hearing it? ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 17:00:16 +0000 Subject: re:ages I am a happy 18 years old (although I guess I don't know what a sad 18 years would look like) and I turn 19 in July. I'm also a chem eng major and a comp sci minor (happy hapy joy joy). This means I listen to TMBG and Enya a whole lot in order to release a lot of the stress. Out of curiosity are there any other Chem Eng. majors out there? Wilbz Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ CoolTalk: TANIS@chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 16:03:11 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: Record clubs On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Rick C. Petty wrote: > On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 Jantschman@aol.com wrote: > > > Record clubs: I hate them! I was with BMG, and if I didn't send the order in > > on time, the sent me some crappy CD no one in their right mind would ever > > listen to and when I sent it back they kicked me out! When will it all end?!? > > I got tons of cheap CD's from both BMG & Columbia House. If I got a CD I > didn't want, I just wrote "Return to Sender" on the package & dropped it > in the mail... They can't charge you for something you don't order. > They even pay for shipping! > > That's in fact how I bought all my TMBG CD's... > > --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy I hate Netscape > _______________________________________________________________________ > SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ > pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com > you found ALL your tmbg cd's there! i can never find any except flood or maybe A18. wow! ok, thanx. -john ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 16:15:23 -0500 (CDT) From: jenny Subject: re:ages On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Willy Nunn wrote: > 18 years would look like) and I turn 19 in July. I'm also a chem eng > major and a comp sci minor (happy hapy joy joy). This means I listen Ummm, I've got a question. If you've got a major like chemical engineering, why do you even bother with a minor? It's not like you've got excessive time for one or something... -jenny, who's got a cow hanging from the ceiling by her door now. he said to tell everyone "moo." p.s. Today's secret word is "cornflakes." Whenever anyone says "cornflakes," scream real loud, like this: AAAAAAARGH! ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 17:25:13 -0400 Subject: the .FLI animation For anyone who was interested, the TMBG .FLI animation by Tom Hare is now available directly at the URL ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/Ruprecht/incoming/tmbgfli.zip and there will also be a link to it from my Giants' page as soon as I update it... (http://www.dragonfire.net/~Ruprecht/HallOfHeads/) ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 17:42:49 +0000 Subject: re:ages > > 18 years would look like) and I turn 19 in July. I'm also a chem eng > > major and a comp sci minor (happy hapy joy joy). This means I listen > > Ummm, I've got a question. If you've got a major like chemical > engineering, why do you even bother with a minor? It's not like you've > got excessive time for one or something... Basically it's because I figure it increases my chances of getting a good job when I get out of college, plus I enjoy both fields. It also means that I have all the more excuse to crank the TMBG when I want to. Wilbz, who is finding it harder and harder to keep his promise not to kill his dorm neighbor for constantly making fun of TMBG. Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ CoolTalk: TANIS@chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu ------------------------------ Subject: Re: GASP! Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 16:58:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of mr_me: >> -jenny, who's trying to figure out why the flags here are almost always at >> half-mast. >> >ya' know, i've been wondering that too. weird. The recent death of the US Secretary of Commerce(?) in a plane crash might have something to do with it. obTMBG: I can't find the part in Ben or Been's analysis that said his was the only possible one. I don't know what the rest of you are complaining about. :) ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 18:43:12 -0400 Subject: Chicago Radio, "The Bear" For anybody who lives in the Chicago area, if you didn't already know, every Monday night there's a show called "Needle Drop" on 92.7 (WCBR) from 9-12 CST. Well, this show plays mostly new type songs and has a certain type of song each week. This week it was "Under 2-minute songs" and next week will be "2-2:30 songs." Yesterday they played two They Might Be Giants songs, including "Kiss Me, Son of God (remember the less-than-two rule) and another song that I just missed. Just thought you'd like to know. The number is 1-847-818-WCBR and you can tell them a song (anything within the time limit) you think is one of the best songs for that limit, and they usually play it at some time. P.S. They also played bands such as Elastica, Barenaked Ladies, Slapstick and talked about groups such as Moxy Fruvous, if this is the kind of music you like (which I know is true for some people on the list). P.P.S. Does anyone know a Browser service, that has a trial period, for Mac, that gives members their own web space? If you do know one, please E-mail me where I can get it. Thanks! -zygote WWW page, w/Momaw@gnn.com- http://members.gnn.com/Momaw/64worldsfair.htm ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 17:46:12 -0500 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Hello '96 Hey all! I just got my March & April selections from The Hello Recording Club. They are: The Gothic Archers: Looming In The Gloom-a dark, kind of a Sisters of Mercy meet the Cure type thing, with a hint of the Residents. and Will Rigby (partially produced by Flans)-sort of a bouncy-poppy, XTC meets Adam Ant, with a little bit of Ween tossed in. (closest comparison I can think of). They're both pretty good...in the top 10% of HRC's releases. I'll post my comments on the future HRC selections, and of course a review of the Full-Length Mono Puff CD planned for this year. :) -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Hello Recording Club (unoffically, of course). ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 19:00:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: "The Rampage" I would just like to state that I did not mean to start this verbal bashing of one another, especially Ben or Been, by first questioning his viewpoint. I merely wanted to express an opposite opinion to the one that was already out there. I actually thought that Ben's opinion was very interesting, and although I'm sure that he spent much precious time sitting at a computer typing it up instead of enjoying the wonders of nature, it was a good addition to our little mailing list thingie. Please we don't need to go ballistic over little issues like this. No fussing, no fighting, no arguing, and for God's sake... ya gotta cut down on the caffiene, Ben. I love my Dew as much as the next guy, but you've got to know when to say when. --Jack Curley jcurley@ramapo.edu ryanflynn@ysp.com http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: half mast Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 19:03:07 -0400 (EDT) I bet the half mast thing is for Mr. Brown and the CEOs of the companies that were killed in the plane crash in Croatia. Maybe? It is snowing in Baltimore, I can't believe it. Snowing anywhere else? 3 days to e-town! Have a good day, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 19:05:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Ages On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, mr_me wrote: > i would have to agree with bob. i think the majority of us are in > college, or at least live there even if we don't do alot of work. > -john > Work? We're supposed to be doing work? Ummm... I think I oughta head over to class now. I might not be writing in for a while. --Jack ps Have any of you guys ever heard of these "midterm" things before? If so, please explain. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: flieds on my windship Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 19:05:48 -0400 (EDT) > > For anyone who was interested, the TMBG .FLI animation by Tom Hare is now > available directly at the URL > ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/Ruprecht/incoming/tmbgfli.zip and there will > also be a link to it from my Giants' page as soon as I update it... This .fli about cornflakes, what is it exactly? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 17:04:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben or Been's Response to His Critic Ben or Been here, rather upset by the following claim. Please reread it: On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Eric Webber wrote: > I think that your wrong claiming that the Johns intended each album to > have a specific meaning. If Lin said They didn't intend any special > meanings, then they didn't. You are entitled to believe anything you want > about the music, however. Just don't stubbornly claim that you, and only > you knew what the They were thinking when they made their albums. > Take it easy, > Wubba [Eric Webber] I can't believe that someone has said I claimed that the Johns intended their songs to have specific meanings. I did not make that claim! (Or, if by a longshot, I *did* make that claim--that the songs *did* have *specific* meanings--I would like to see the evidence, for I then must have composed some poor writing and miscommunicated my ideas.) I believe that *meaning lies within oneself*; therefore, song meanings would be *my own personal* meanings, which would differ from every other person in the universe (by space-time theory, if you want a theory). I was not in on the recording of any TMBG song; thus, I can't know whether the Johns intended there to be a "specific meaning." Because some of the songs seem to me "concrete" in their references, perhaps John & John aimed at a "general meaning" instead of a "specific meaning." Examples of songs I see as more concrete are "Santa's Beard," "Unrelated Thing," "They'll Need a Crane," "She's an Angel," etc.--these songs to me communicate themes on which *most people* would agree. In other words, I think most people would agree on the "general meanings" of these songs. But I can't be sure, no doubt! And I can't be sure of specific meanings either, because for one reason, they're more specific and I'm not even sure of the general! I guess I say that I question the validity of the quote when someone quotes Linnell as saying that his group does not assign specific meanings to their songs. I say, He could be lying, He could be forgetting one song for which he *did* assign a specific meaning, He could be ignorant of a song which Flansburgh wrote and assigned a specific meaning, etc. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING DOES NOT MEAN THE CONTENT OF THE STATEMENT HAS TRUTH. I can say that I'm a woman, dress in a dress, wear make-up, and try to pass myself off as a woman in a small Wyoming town. No one would know that I'm not a woman, unless someone should try to investigate. And *investigate* is what I've tried to do: I've looked at songs as partial evidence in support of the hypothesis that "not all of TMBG's songs lack meaning." Although I may believe Linnell when (supposedly) he says that they don't assign specific meanings to their songs, I am justified to question. I am justified in having *my own personal* meanings and interpretations. I do not feel morally justified to legislate *my own personal* meanings as if everyone should believe them, and hence do not try to push *my own personal* meanings on others as Law. Also, I don't know nor ever claimed (to my knowledge) that I knew "what They were thinking when they made their albums." I don't know how Mr. Webber drew this conclusion. I feel somewhat testy that my posts were misread. Perhaps this is my own fault--perhaps I poorly composed my thoughts and thus stated exactly what I did not want to. I have retained all of my posts related to this subject in dispute, and if you should like copies I would gladly forward them. If you can suggest *anything* that would make my writing and expression of ideas *less ambiguous*, please, send your comments. I do not want to be vastly misunderstood as I fear I may have Been now. I'm for the Digest. I'm for TMBG. I'm against pushing my interpretations onto people in attempts to tell them that my interpretation is correct and theirs are wrong. I'm saying: Meaning lies within the person. I'm not saying that the Johns intended their songs to have specific meanings. If you think I'm saying otherwise, tell me. Trying to keep calm, Ben or Been (614) 823-BLUE ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 19:27:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Mock-flame. :) Fun, isn't it? On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > instead of enjoying the > wonders of nature Errrr.... hate to break it to ya, but for us East Coasters, Mother Nature is suffering from SeVeRe PMS.... a snowstorm in April! Yuccchhh!!! > for God's sake... ya gotta > cut down on the caffiene, Ben. I love my Dew as much as the next guy, but > you've got to know when to say when. Oh, now you're insulting a major food group!! ;) (hee hee hee) I love this stuff...... Oh, btw, if ya wanna see the Johns gratutiously used over and over on a web page, check mine out! And if you can think of any links that I need, send 'em on over to me!!!! Love to you all, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 20:01:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Mock-flame. :) Fun, isn't it? On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Johnette Frostburg wrote: > Errrr.... hate to break it to ya, but for us East Coasters, Mother Nature > is suffering from SeVeRe PMS.... a snowstorm in April! Yuccchhh!!! Hey! I happen to live on the East Coast, and I love the snow. In fact, I was out making snow angels before. Of course the snow isn't sticking here. I guess I was making dirt angels. And getting wet. I don't think that those grass stains are going to come out either. Old Man Winter is a good friend of mine. > > for God's sake... ya gotta cut down on the caffiene, Ben. I love my > > Dew as much as the next guy, but you've got to know when to say when. > Oh, now you're insulting a major food group!! ;) (hee hee hee) I am not insulting the Dew! I would never insult it! It is life in it's purest form! It is liquid sunshine! It is... really beginning to look like I have no life. I'll shut up now. :) --Jack http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 20:07:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Mock-flame. :) Fun, isn't it? Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. Ben can enjoy nature because he's not on the East Coast in thi middle of a snowstorm. He appears to be in Colombus Ohio, but he claims to be a woman living in a small town in Montana. Or, so I've heard. --Snowball In Mahwah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 18:46:20 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: the top 20 OK. Due to many requests and a few certain people who are refusing to check their e-mail, I am going to have to extend the date on the results of the voting. I limited the votes to 20 a person, BUT I have decided that it would be better and also because of the requests that I've had that people want to vote for maore than 20. If you want to add votes to your list, go ahead and mail them to me. There are also a lot of ties and this might help that as well. JUS BE SURE THAT YOU DON'T VOTE FOR SOMETHING THAT WAS ON YOUR LAST LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would throw the calculations off. Again, if anyone wants a copy of the list just mail me and I'll send you one. Ana Ng (kerrel@uwec.edu) ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Here's a topic... Date: Tue, 9 Apr 96 20:50:06 18000 Here's a topic............ let's see who can try and write down all the reggae lyrics in "Larger than Life"! Hrm... the only ones I know are (something) ah, must have been our crew something something They Might Be Giants some stuff here because we bigger, and badder we badder something SOMETHING wicked & wild And that's about it! Obviously... the "somethings" are what we need! If we ever get it pieced together, maybe we can put it on the lyrics page...... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 20:15:57 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Ages... On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Joyce Frost wrote: > I am the wonderfully boring age of 19 at this point...I guess you could > call it the searching-for-your-Major-age, seeing as I just changed my > major for the third. I am now an English/Computer Science Major with a > minor in Math. Exciting stuff huh? I would be a philosophy minor but > *Sniff* my school doesnt offer it. what a combination! You'd have to be a philosophy minor just to understand English & CSci at the same time! --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:33:16 -0400 From: "Penny Morris" Subject: help me!! Argh! As if life weren't cruel enough.... They are coming to my town, Cincinnati, OH on May 17th. I went to the concert last year and it was THE BEST concert I'd been to in my life. I would go to the one this year, except it is the same night as my chorus concert. Now, as much as I'd love to skip the chorus concert and fail chorus to see Them (who wouldn't?) my parent have a slight objection. So if anyone in the nearby cities (ie. Indianapolis, Bloomington, Dayton, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, or anywhere around there) know that they'll be coming soon, PLEASE EMAIL ME! :) So that I can go to that concert, I can't stand the thought of missing Them :) Penny HI --Good Idea: Throwing a penny in a fountain to make a wish. HI HI Bad Idea: Throwing your cousin Penny in a fountain to make a wish HI HI --Animaniacs HI HI HI HI morris@tso.cin.ix.net pmorris@tlcnet.muohio.edu HI HI be567@freenet.uchsc.edu swwerth@nether.net HI HI HI HI,I'MACARROTBITEMEHI,I'MACARROTBITEMEHI,I'MACARROTBITEMEHI,I'MACARROT!HI ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:46:36 -0400 Subject: Re: Ben or Been's Response to His Critic In a message dated 96-04-09 19:58:53 EDT, you write: >I'm not saying that the Johns intended their songs to have specific meanings. Okay, I'm going to say one thing that I supposed would be obvious... Although John Linnell says that Their songs do not have specific meanings, that doesn't mean that they don't have meaning. My feeling on the matter is that the Johns *obviously* write _almost_ every song about something and they basically say that they don't have meanings because they believe everyone should be able to form their own opinions and ideas. I think it's sort of like how sometimes you get an idea of what a song is about and then you see the music video and it kind of ruins your ability to see it any other way. What I'm saying is that the songs *DO* have a definite meaning to the Johns and that They don't impose those meanings because, firstly, these meanings are special and personal to Them and, secondly, They want us to be able to enjoy having our own individual ideas... but then nobody who's songs aren't entirely obvious goes around telling everybody what their about... *anything in stars are my own opinion, so get over it* ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:47:01 -0400 Subject: Re: flieds on my windship In a message dated 96-04-09 19:14:21 EDT, Matt James wrote: >> For anyone who was interested, the TMBG .FLI animation by Tom Hare is now >> available directly at the URL >> ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/Ruprecht/incoming/tmbgfli.zip and there >will >> also be a link to it from my Giants' page as soon as I update it... >This .fli about cornflakes, what is it exactly? >Matt > I actually haven't seen the animation yet myself, since I first have to find a time when no one wants to use the phone, but I think it's set to They Might Be Giants (the song) you'd have to ask Tom Hare (the guy who made it) if you wanted an in-depth description... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 22:37:32 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) At 07:03 PM 4/9/96 -0400, you wrote: >It is snowing in Baltimore, I can't believe it. Snowing anywhere else? Flurries off and on here in Newport News, VA.....and they say it is supposed to be near 80 on Friday. Go figure. Time to go out and pull the top off the ol' Jeep!!! BlueDAwg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Never trust a politician who feels your pain --Me, I wrote that. ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 23:17:10 +0000 Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) > >It is snowing in Baltimore, I can't believe it. Snowing anywhere else? > > Flurries off and on here in Newport News, VA.....and they say it is supposed > to be near 80 on Friday. Go figure. Time to go out and pull the top off > the ol' Jeep!!! Allready have about 3 inches or more (supposed to get 5-10) in Worcester MA. The flakes are the size of small cars . Wilbz Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ CoolTalk: TANIS@chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 23:38:35 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: To Ryan S.!!! (sorry everyone!) Hi, I'm so so sorry to do this, but this message is for Ryan! This is cortney! Silly me somehow managed before break to lose your address (blush!)...I don't know if you sent it to me (maybe you did), but I was away on break and my account went haywire! Anyways, please (please!) write back to me with it (if it's not too too much trouble!) Oh! And those tapes should be there any day now! Thanks so much, sorry for the trouble! have a ruby tuesday! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:21:29 -0600 Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) >> >It is snowing in Baltimore, I can't believe it. Snowing anywhere else? >> >> Flurries off and on here in Newport News, VA.....and they say it is supposed >> to be near 80 on Friday. Go figure. Time to go out and pull the top off >> the ol' Jeep!!! > >Allready have about 3 inches or more (supposed to get 5-10) in >Worcester MA. The flakes are the size of small cars . Boy! Bummer about all that snow and stuff! Here in Jackson Hole, WY, where we have some 9 months of winter and where it generally snows on the fourth of July, The temperature hit 74 degrees or more today, and almost all of our snow is gone. Does anyone have connections in the weather department? You might want to check the thermostat. It might not be reliable, maybe it should be disconnected... Any hoo... I remain a warm and fuzzy- -Rabid Child 8o) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 00:23:52 -0400 Subject: Re: gnikcartkcaB (?ti teg) In a message Snoopy wrote::::: > >I once thought there was a backwards message on Hide Away Folk Family, >but when I played it backwards, it made even LESS sense, but it sounded >really cool! In fact I started playing a lot of songs backwards because >they actually sound better! Yeah, I was messing with a tape I made from the radio and I got the GooGooDolls "Name" to play backwards. Now THAT was cool. I played the other side and it was this freaky disco song. I think it was Real McCoy. But then, the real backwards message I taped over it didn't play. I was sad. JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 00:30:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) > > >It is snowing in Baltimore, I can't believe it. Snowing anywhere else? > > > > Allready have about 3 inches or more (supposed to get 5-10) in > Worcester MA. The flakes are the size of small cars . > I'm here in Mahwah, New Jersey, and I'm in between you two. It's been trying to snow here all day, but having little success. Nothing will stick. It's too warm out. It's basically raining, but it doesn't come down as fast. --Slushball In Hell http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 00:41:29 -0400 Subject: Freedom o' Speech Hi Guys You should be more open minded. All Ben or Been did was state his opinion and now it's a really big deal. It's like, not everyone thinks alike you know? Now that was my opinion, so please don't flame me. JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 00:45:55 -0400 Subject: A concert Hello You know, I just saw the Prez live on TV. And they're right up there with John & John in my book. Then I realized, I'll probably never see TMBG live, and how great it would be if I did. Now I'm depressed. JaN+sChMAn "It looks exactly like liquid sunshine"- Dana Carvey, who is quite cool ------------------------------ Date: 10 Apr 96 00:46:58 EDT From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) its been snowing in new hampshire since sunday with more on the way....ugh. it wouldnt be so painful if it werent 80 degrees at home (in florida). -sara- >From: mdukelan@wyoming.com >X-Sender: mdukelan@mailhost.wyoming.com >Mime-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" >Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:21:29 -0600 >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Precedence: bulk >Reply-To: mdukelan@wyoming.com >> >It is snowing in Baltimore, I can't believe it. Snowing anywhere else? >> >> Flurries off and on here in Newport News, VA.....and they say it is supposed >> to be near 80 on Friday. Go figure. Time to go out and pull the top off >> the ol' Jeep!!! > >Allready have about 3 inches or more (supposed to get 5-10) in >Worcester MA. The flakes are the size of small cars . Boy! Bummer about all that snow and stuff! Here in Jackson Hole, WY, where we have some 9 months of winter and where it generally snows on the fourth of July, The temperature hit 74 degrees or more today, and almost all of our snow is gone. Does anyone have connections in the weather department? You might want to check the thermostat. It might not be reliable, maybe it should be disconnected... Any hoo... I remain a warm and fuzzy- -Rabid Child 8o) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 02:32:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: A concert On Wed, 10 Apr 1996 Jantschman@aol.com wrote: > You know, I just saw the Prez live on TV. And they're right up there with > John & John in my book. I don't care much for the Presidents of the USA much. (Except for James K. Polk, of course) I guess it's because I wrote Peaches in the second grade. But, that's just me. --Jack http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-101 ******************************