Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-102 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 102 Thursday, 11 April 1996 Today's Topics: Ages again youth culture (none) The FLI animation Pick me a song! Re: Ben or Been's Response to His Critic Re: Pick me a song! Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) Age, Weather and Things Re: your mail Re: Ages again Digested Boba Mail: Boba Poem Re: Ages again Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) Re: A concert J Fried Pokey Little Puppy Snow? A silly question! Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) Re: Ages again Ages again Sorry to any or all Re: your mail Just thinking... Re: Ages again The Digest of Old CONCERT!!! Re: The Digest of Old Re: CONCERT!!! the glory of caffeine. Re: the .FLI animation top 20 Parents and TMBG Re: the .FLI animation Re: Ages again Re: The Digest of Old stuff. Re: The Digest of Old Re: the glory of caffeine. Re: The Digest of Old fli ani Re: Pick me a song! How long I've been on and all that jazz Re: fli ani Re: the glory of caffeine. Re: the glory of caffeine. Re: fli ani FLI Animation Re: CONCERT!!! Re: Just thinking... and Digest of Old Re: The Digest of Old FLI Animation Re: The Digest of Old ***** See you in E-Town Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 00:26:01 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: Ages again I can't stand it any longer!! Is there anyone on this list over 30? I mean, I appreciate all you whose minds are honed to the finer things such as TMBG, but do I have any peers here? I'm 35, and teach Art at a university in HI. Been a fan since the early 70s when They opened for Jethro Tull :) just wondering marc ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 03:51:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: youth culture I'm 22. My whole life stretches before me. All the choices I have yet to make. Still a kid but out of school. I think I'm going to throw myself in front of a truck. Mike. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~alex why not give it a shot? Any radium paint left over after your experiments can safely be gotten rid of by flushing it down the toilet. --"There's Adventure In Atomic Energy" (1957) by Julian May ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:57:47 +1000 (EST) From: KAREN CRAWFORD Hi, I just subscribed any I was wondering if there was any news on a possible new album or tours (for Australia). TMBG don't get a huge air-play here. Well, not in Brisbane anyway. Any news I get about the band seems to be months out of date, so I'd appreciate any up to date info! Also, on the last Australian tour, T-shirts were sold featuring a caricature of TMBG on the front and a drawing of a dog on the back. Does this dog have any relevance to the band or was it just an interesting way to fill up a blank space? The picture reminds me of a children's book called "The Pokey Little Puppy". Is this where the picture is from? Thanks Karen Crawford ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:27:22 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: The FLI animation Woah, i just downloaded the FLI animation, and watched it...it is way cool ! ! ! Good Job! ! ! ! I luv it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.zoop.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 18:41:22 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: Pick me a song! Hey guys, Petery here. I need some help. I will be DJing a Retro (70s and 80s) dance party at Macquarie University (Sydney, Australia) and I would like to introduce the swarming masses to TMBG. What song do you think would be the best introduction to TMBG? (I think: "Twistin'") And what song best fits into the Retro theme? (I think: "We're The Replacements") Any help would be appreciated and I will post a list of suggestions after the big night! Thanx, Petery. ****************************************************************************** "THE CHIPS ARE READY" ARE LOOKING FOR A DRUMMER! If you think you can keep the beat for one of Australia's leading thrash rock pop acoustic unplugged hip hop Lambada bands, contact Peter now. A very large lucrative recording deal could be waiting. Or it may not... "We're gonna be bigger wankers than as Oasis!" SCOTT ROLF ROLF TAYLOR, The Chips Are Ready". **************************************************************************** ** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:06:15 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Ben or Been's Response to His Critic On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > Examples of songs I see as more concrete are "Santa's Beard," > "Unrelated Thing," "They'll Need a Crane," "She's an Angel," etc.--these > songs to me communicate themes on which *most people* would agree. In > other words, I think most people would agree on the "general meanings" of > these songs. But I can't be sure, no doubt! Could someone tell me what the concrete meaning of "She's An Angel" is? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:07:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Charles Christopher Johnson Subject: Re: Pick me a song! On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Peter Young wrote: > Hey guys, Petery here. I need some help. I will be DJing a Retro (70s and > 80s) dance party at Macquarie University (Sydney, Australia) and I would > like to introduce the swarming masses to TMBG. What song do you think would > be the best introduction to TMBG? (I think: "Twistin'") And what song best > fits into the Retro theme? (I think: "We're The Replacements") Any help > would be appreciated and I will post a list of suggestions after the big > night! > Thanx, Petery. > Well, I think That Twistin Would be a good intro, but if you want to introduce them, I'd give more songs to introduce them properly... Ana Ng, Snail Shell, We want a Rock, I Palindrome I, and a few others would really help to give a WELL Rounded intro to the 'Giants work... Just a thought... -=-Chris ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 06:24:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) On 10 Apr 1996, Sara B. Carmichael wrote: > its been snowing in new hampshire since sunday with more on the way....ugh. it > wouldnt be so painful if it werent 80 degrees at home (in florida). > -sara- 80 in Florida? ha! As of right now, I am sitting here shivering in 38 degree weather. Amanda > > > >From: mdukelan@wyoming.com > >X-Sender: mdukelan@mailhost.wyoming.com > >Mime-Version: 1.0 > >Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" > >Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:21:29 -0600 > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) > >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Precedence: bulk > >Reply-To: mdukelan@wyoming.com > > >> >It is snowing in Baltimore, I can't believe it. Snowing anywhere else? > >> > >> Flurries off and on here in Newport News, VA.....and they say it is supposed > >> to be near 80 on Friday. Go figure. Time to go out and pull the top off > >> the ol' Jeep!!! > > > >Allready have about 3 inches or more (supposed to get 5-10) in > >Worcester MA. The flakes are the size of small cars . > > Boy! Bummer about all that snow and stuff! Here in Jackson Hole, WY, where > we have some 9 months of winter and where it generally snows on the fourth > of July, The temperature hit 74 degrees or more today, and almost all of > our snow is gone. > Does anyone have connections in the weather department? You might want > to check the thermostat. It might not be reliable, maybe it should be > disconnected... > Any hoo... I remain a warm and fuzzy- > -Rabid Child > 8o) > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 11:44:59 +0000 (GMT) From: "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" Subject: Age, Weather and Things I'd just like to report that I'm 25 (26 in August), that I've been with Them since Birdhouse got to No.2 in the singles chart in 199O, and that it's raining in Liverpool. That's Liverpool as in The Beatles... Oh, and while I'm here, I'd just like to plead with anyone who knows Them... COME AND PLAY IN ENGLAND, PREFERABLY IN LIVERPOOL, PLEEEEEEEEASE! Thank you. Phil "sometimes wishes he was Stateside" Moss PS. As you can see, unlike most of you, I work at a uni rather than study at one. Mmmm, interesting! ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Re: your mail Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 07:11:38 -0500 (CDT) > this dog have any relevance to the band or was it just an interesting way > to fill up a blank space? The picture reminds me of a children's book > called "The Pokey Little Puppy". Is this where the picture is from? That's what I thought it was from anyway..... I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was - I mean, what better way to convey to the world a message of universal peace and harmony than by proudly displaying the transcendant symbol of love on the back of Their T-shirts??? -CJ, who's _really_ gonna go to breakfast now.... `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 08:32:14 -0400 Subject: Re: Ages again In a message dated 96-04-10 03:35:37 EDT, you write: >I can't stand it any longer!! >Is there anyone on this list over 30? I mean, I appreciate all you whose >minds are honed to the finer things such as TMBG, but do I have any peers >here? I'm 35, and teach Art at a university in HI. Been a fan since the early >70s when They opened for Jethro Tull :) >just wondering > marc Well, I'm 31, but I've only been a fan for a year. I've certainly made up for lost time though! And, as I mentioned before, I think that being raised on the Beatles has a lot to do with why I like Them so much. Kay ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:26:50 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail: Boba Poem James Ensor repeated himself and so will I. Flowers die and so will I. Now I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want. I want a rock to wind a piece of string around. But everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around. Leave me alone is an unrelated thing compared to strings and rocks. The woman, though, hit me with the rock in an attempt at being kind. What kind of poem is this you ask? It's my kind of poem. My kind of poem is amusing to probably only me. That's ok though. I can handle being forsaken but not for science. Poetic Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey, who's just a woofer covered in wood. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "I LOVE THE DEAD." "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:01:37 -0400 From: jenns@voicenet.com (* jenn *) Subject: Re: Ages again >I can't stand it any longer!! >Is there anyone on this list over 30? I mean, I appreciate all you whose minds are honed to the finer things such as TMBG, but do I have any peers here? I'm 35, and teach Art at a university in HI. Been a fan since the early 70s when They opened for Jethro Tull :) >just wondering > marc i'm only 19 myself but at least two people i work with (who are over thirty) love TMBG. i think they are 33 and 38. they even went to a TMBG concert. btw, where is that animation? i stupidly deleted the mail that had the web page address. jenn _______________________________________________________________________ http://www.voicenet.com/~jenns/ "No one will ever win the battle of the sexes; there's too much fraternizing with the enemy." -- Henry Kissinger ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:20:24 -0400 Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) >>It is snowing in Baltimore, I can't believe it. Snowing anywhere else? I live in New Hampshire, and we have about 8" so far. Unfortunately, it's only about 11:00 am, and it's supposed to snow all day. Can i contain my joy? I think not. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:24:15 -0500 (CDT) From: TomLeitl Subject: Re: A concert >To: Snowball In Hell >From: TomLeitl >Subject: Re: A concert > >At 02:32 AM 4/10/96 -0400, you wrote: >>On Wed, 10 Apr 1996 Jantschman@aol.com wrote: >> >>> You know, I just saw the Prez live on TV. And they're right up there with >>> John & John in my book. >> >>I don't care much for the Presidents of the USA much. (Except for James >>K. Polk, of course) I guess it's because I wrote Peaches in the second grade. >>But, that's just me. >> >> >> --Jack >> http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn >> >> Hehehe I agree totally.. Vicky http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3870 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ o o ^*\ "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful" /*^ / > < \ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Joshua Fried Subject: J Fried Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:25:41 -0400 (EDT) Dear Friend/Associates-- I'm sending this notice to a handful of friends, some people who asked to be informed by email, and a few select others whom I thought might be interested. If you receive more than one copy, my apologies. Choreographer Douglas Dunn and I will premiere a large-scale full-length collaboration next Fall at The Kitchen (NYC). We're presenting our first joint forays three times this month: Sunday, April 14, 3pm 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Center 1395 Lexington Ave. @ 92nd Street $7 Reservations Required: 212/415-5552 (Shared program with Ellen Cornfield) Saturday, April 27, 1996, 7:30pm Gala Benefit produced by Presence Productions Douglas Dunn Studio, 541 Broadway Reception to follow $25 Information: 212/966-6999 Sunday, April 28, 1996, 3pm Arts At University Settlement 184 Eldridge Street @ Rivington Suggested donation: $5 Information: 212/674-9120 X183 Shared program with Ellen Cornfield & Joy Kellman The new work builds on my piece TRAVELOGUE and a group work I premiered at La MaMa this past Fall. In TRAVELOGUE, a single vocalist responds to pre- recorded voices played on headphones, with taped accompaniment; in our new work, multiple performers will sing, move and interact based on headphone input as well as on pre-set choreography, and the distinctions between actor, singer and dancer will be blurred. Since headphone-driven performance in this case depends on the element of surprise, some of the some of the parts constitute one-time-only roles and thus there will be a substantially different cast each night. Our experiments so far have produced exhilarating results, and we see metaphoric links between our "instructed" interactions on stage and the interplay of cultural values in contemporary society. For those who don't know, Dunn is a highly-regarded innovator in the dance field, and is considered of the Cunnningham lineage. He is inspiring to work with (and funny too). We are of two different generations and two different fields: I am a "downtown" experimental composer (post-minimalist?) and spent the better part of the '80s in the East Village performance art/club scene. (This work is made possible in part by the generous support of the NEA, The Mary Flagler Cary Trust Live Music for Dance Program, Meet The Composer's Composer/Choreographer Project, American Composer's Forum Composer Commissioning Project and private donations.) Please write for more information about this project, the artists, or Presence Productions: jf@escape.com. Thanks for reading. Joshua Fried ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 12:09:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Pokey Little Puppy On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, KAREN CRAWFORD wrote: > Also, on the last Australian tour, T-shirts were sold featuring a > caricature of TMBG on the front and a drawing of a dog on the back. Does > this dog have any relevance to the band or was it just an interesting way > to fill up a blank space? The picture reminds me of a children's book > called "The Pokey Little Puppy". Is this where the picture is from? The Pokey Little Puppy it is! I didn't know that when I bought it, but a waitress at a local diner that I frequent informed me of it. She even brought in the book to show it to me, and gave it to me! It's a wonderful little book, a must for all you out there who don't have it. I read it to my roommate every night to help him fall asleep. It works like a charm. --Jack http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 96 09:49:25 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Snow? Hi there! Sorry to hear it's snowing on you East Coast folks! It's a balmy 75 degrees here in California - you should all come and stay at house until it thaws out over there... BTW, does anybody else out there read James Tate? SuzyB, who is 27 going on 5 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:24:21 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: A silly question! Hiya everyone!!! I hope you're all having beautiful Wednesdays! Anyway, I have a silly question to ask (I *know* that it's been discussed before, but I seem to have forgotten the answer! *blush*) Anyways, can somebody tell me who does the vocals for 'O Do Not Forsake Me'? (please?) Thanks bunches in advance! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 12:28:58 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: SNOW!?!?!?! (was re:half mast) On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > 80 > in Florida? ha! As of right now, I am sitting here shivering in 38 degree > weather. 38 is shivering??? That's WARM for me! I live in Minnesota, where our local temperature dropped to 40 below or something, not to mention the windchill factor... THe ice was so thick on my car I used buckets of hot water just to get the door open! --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Wed, 10 Apr 96 11:40:31 MDT Subject: Re: Ages again ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 34 Don't despair marc, You're not the only over-30 person on this list. I myself am 37, and work writing obscure embedded firmware programs in PINE DSP assembly language for disk drive companies. Russ "I'm thirty seven--I'm not old!"--Monty Python & the Holy Grail (scene 3) ----- Begin Included Message ----- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 00:26:01 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: Ages again I can't stand it any longer!! Is there anyone on this list over 30? I mean, I appreciate all you whose minds are honed to the finer things such as TMBG, but do I have any peers here? I'm 35, and teach Art at a university in HI. Been a fan since the early 70s when They opened for Jethro Tull :) just wondering marc ----- End Included Message ----- ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:31:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Sorry to any or all Hey everybody, I wasn't trying to flame (Ben or for that matter Been). I appreciat his viewpoint and believe he is entitled to it but his posts just seemed pushy to me. I want to stress that i believe all Their song are open to interpretation and i don't think it is at all valid to claim that anybody was lying. That's mostly the part that annoyed me. That what one of the songwriters was called a (possible) liar. Lin and Flans obviously feel differently about their songs than we do. And that's that.......!!!! Okay now, I want everybody to be happy and lets put this whole argument (but not the discussion) behind us. Thank you, Wubba (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) SAVE MST3K (~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~)(~) |Eric Webber erwst9@pitt.edu | |1635 Shady Ave. STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed | |Pittsburgh, PA 15217 above are not the opinions of a normal person. | (_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:50:57 -0500 (CDT) From: Charles Christopher Johnson Subject: Re: your mail On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, CYBORG wrote: > > this dog have any relevance to the band or was it just an interesting way > > to fill up a blank space? The picture reminds me of a children's book > > called "The Pokey Little Puppy". Is this where the picture is from? > > That's what I thought it was from anyway..... I wouldn't be surprised if > that's what it was - I mean, what better way to convey to the world a > message of universal peace and harmony than by proudly displaying the > transcendant symbol of love on the back of Their T-shirts??? > > -CJ, who's _really_ gonna go to breakfast now.... > > `'*,. Bell Labs UNIX -- Reach out and grep someone .,*'` > `'*,.,*'`'*,. .,*'`'*,.,*'` > CJ Kucera `'*.,______________________________,.*'`kucecj@sncac.snc.edu > "Cyborg" <<>> St. Norbert College > Yep it IS the pokey little puppy... I held my shirt up to a copy of the book just to compare... Of course... that was BEFORE it shrank to the size of a puppy sweater... Raggin Fraggin no-good sonofa.... Ah well... ---Chris ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:42:22 -0500 (CDT) From: Charles Christopher Johnson Subject: Just thinking... Don't mean to go off on another tangent for other music but... What if, like Joan Osbourne says, God was One of Us? Do you think he'd hate the freaking song too? ---Chris ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 15:59:41 -0400 Subject: Re: Ages again In a message dated 96-04-10 09:03:13 EDT, Kaylum@aol.com writes: > >Well, I'm 31, but I've only been a fan for a year. I've certainly made up >for lost time though! And, as I mentioned before, I think that being raised >on the Beatles has a lot to do with why I like Them so much. > >Kay my mom was raised on the Beatles, but she hates THeY MiGHT Be GiaNTS, probably because she likes the early stuff better and because I've played DINNER BELL in her ear 40 too many times... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:10:32 +0600 From: Patrick Savage Subject: The Digest of Old Lately I've been thinking about what the old days of TMBG must've been like and so I have a little request for you guys. Has anyone who was on this list many years ago saved any old They Might Be Digests? I've been subscribed since 1994, but I was just thinking it would be cool to see what people talked about before that. Also, I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? Pat -- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: Butrose17@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:25:02 -0400 Subject: CONCERT!!! I have never been to a giants concert, and my friend is bugging me to go. I would like to know if anyone else knows if they are coming to the Chicago area anytime soon? I heard they were, but I couldn't find out were to get tickets. and remember... "You can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding" -Your Racist Friend ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 15:59:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Charles Christopher Johnson Subject: Re: The Digest of Old > Also, I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? > > > Pat > > -- > psavage@vt.edu > Er.... about 10 hours... *grin* Sorry.. --Chris ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:12:58 -0500 (CDT) From: Charles Christopher Johnson Subject: Re: CONCERT!!! On Wed, 10 Apr 1996 Butrose17@aol.com wrote: > I have never been to a giants concert, and my friend is bugging me to go. I > would like to know if anyone else knows if they are coming to the Chicago > area anytime soon? I heard they were, but I couldn't find out were to get > tickets. > and remember... > > "You can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding" > -Your Racist Friend > Well, The last two that I've been to have been thru Ticket master, so I'd give them a call firt and then go from there..... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:18:42 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: the glory of caffeine. now i respect Mountain Dew as much as any decent caffeine loving person can, but i'd have to say that the majestic prescence of COFFEE is what makes the world go round. and round and round and round. but that's only after the 2nd 12-cup pot of the strong columbian stuff. acceleratedly yours, daniel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:24:57 +0600 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Re: the .FLI animation >For anyone who was interested, the TMBG .FLI animation by Tom Hare is now >available directly at the URL >ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/Ruprecht/incoming/tmbgfli.zip and there will >also be a link to it from my Giants' page as soon as I update it... This anim is really cool..check it out. It's a music video for the song They Might Be Giants, and a quite well done one at that. Good job Tom! Pat -- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 15:30:42 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: top 20 Sorry to do this to all of you who have been waiting, but the results of the voting have been postponed until the 15th. If you want to vote for more things you can, but make sure you don't have the same things twice. If you need a copy of the list, just mail me. Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:48:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Parents and TMBG On Wed, 10 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > my mom was raised on the Beatles, but she hates THeY MiGHT Be GiaNTS, > probably because she likes the early stuff better and because I've > played DINNER BELL in her ear 40 too many times... that's odd, my father *loves* They Might Be Giants! It is one of about five bands I listen to in front of him, they never say anything bad. Whenever we drive somewhere and I put "Flood" in the tape player, he always says, "Turn this crap off, it is silly." But he never ceases to sing along, especially to his favorite, "Minimum Wage"! Whenever "Istanbul not Constantinople" comes on, he starts talking about history and geography and stuff and it begins to bore me. Oh well, that's my dad for ya. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:50:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: the .FLI animation On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Patrick Savage wrote: > >For anyone who was interested, the TMBG .FLI animation by Tom Hare is now > >available directly at the URL > >ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/Ruprecht/incoming/tmbgfli.zip and there will > >also be a link to it from my Giants' page as soon as I update it... > This anim is really cool..check it out. It's a music video for the song > They Might Be Giants, and a quite well done one at that. Good job Tom! how would one go about downloading this? I tried to download something the other day that was a zip file, and it didn't work. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:53:43 -0500 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: Re: Ages again At 03:59 PM 4/10/96 -0400, you wrote: >In a message dated 96-04-10 09:03:13 EDT, Kaylum@aol.com writes: > >> >>Well, I'm 31, but I've only been a fan for a year. I've certainly made up >>for lost time though! And, as I mentioned before, I think that being raised >>on the Beatles has a lot to do with why I like Them so much. >> >>Kay > >my mom was raised on the Beatles, but she hates THeY MiGHT Be GiaNTS, >probably because she likes the early stuff better and because I've >played DINNER BELL in her ear 40 too many times... > My mom likes both the Beatles and They Might Be Giants. Katrina $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ $ $ My life is now complete. $ $ $ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:55:08 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: The Digest of Old On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Patrick Savage wrote: > Also, I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? like, a week. like, I got nothin better to do... :) --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:09:39 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: stuff. I'm going to defend Ben or Been here--any meanings that one finds in a song are perfectly valid, whether or not John and John actually intended them to be there. Half the fun of listening to TMBG lies in interpreting the lyrics. For me, anyway. And even if They didn't deliberately write about those things, that doesn't mean that they're not there or that They wouldn't appreciate such an analysis. As a writer (sorta), I'd have to say that most writers I know of don't actually sit down and say to themselves, "I think I'll write something about the big ol' hairy Universal Truths today." Instead, they write about smaller, more mundane things, and the big picture emerges almost subconsciously. That's the genius of a great writer, and I think we all agree that John and John's songwriting is ingenious. :) I also like the idea of there being themes on the album level also, and that the albums all fit together too. It's like how you can't appreciate the structure of DNA until you look at how it all fits together, kind of. OK, so maybe I'm the only English major who has appreciated the structure of DNA. I'm a little weird. :) Another theme I picked up on the Pink album, besides the paranoia thing which I definitely see there, is a decidedly proletarian...um, thing, going on. (Words are escaping me at the moment.) Lots of this "struggle of the working class" stuff. We've got stuff like, "Ads up in the subway are the work of someone trying to please their boss, and though the guy's a pig we all know what he wants is just to please somebody else," (from "Puppethead"), "A rich man once told me, 'Hey life's a funny thing,' a poor man once told me that he can't afford to speak," ("Number Three"), basically all of "Alienation's For the Rich," etc. I know I thought of more stuff, but that's all I can think of right now. Anybody else see a lot of this on that album? Well, this is getting a bit too long (I have a tendency to do that...have you managed to wade through my too-long analysis of Twin Peaks yet, Nola?? :) ). --Tara Oh, and I just got my Stumpbox tape today--thank you, Phil and the Plaguerat! *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: 10 Apr 96 18:14:34 EDT From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Subject: Re: The Digest of Old > Also, I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? > > > Pat > > -- > psavage@vt.edu > um...eight months i suppose, although i took a little vacation when you people were obsessing over that mr. blobby character a while back. -sara- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 96 15:32:24 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re: the glory of caffeine. On 4-10-96, David Meyerson wrote: >...COFFEE is what makes the world go round. and round and round and >round. but that's only after the 2nd 12-cup pot of the strong columbian >stuff 24 cups, eh? That is indeed glorious. Kinda makes my head spin. And my stomach churn. Speaking of, what do you think J&J's cups-per-day quota is? :) SB, who has been known to fill the office coffee pot with decaf to spite her co-workers. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:02:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: The Digest of Old Patrick Savage writes: > Lately I've been thinking about what the old days of TMBG must've been like > and so I have a little request for you guys. Has anyone who was on this > list many years ago saved any old They Might Be Digests? I've been > subscribed since 1994, but I was just thinking it would be cool to see what > people talked about before that. It's been the same. Really. Except back then it was the other tours we'd talk about (I subbed in the beginning of the Apollo 18 tour, so I followed the tour dates and reviews of it eagerly back then.. that was also before alt.music.tmbg or whatever existed.) and music and debate over meaning of songs.. and Greg Galcik used to update us on the continuing saga of his Spider shirts (anyone else out there still have theirs?) and the battle with TMBG's management.. and we used to talk a lot about groups like the dB's and Drink Me and the Young Fresh Fellows and Brian Dewan because they were very common opening acts for TMBG.. and to be honest, I think the signal-to-noise ratio back then was much higher, instead of these "How old are you? Who else likes Red Dwarf?" messages that flood the list now. If I ever get around to seeing if my old account still exists (the one that I'm quoted in the FAQ from, that I haven't used in a REALLY long time) I might have some old messages from the digest sitting around, but I think the chances of that are slim to none.. > Also, I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? I suppose I answered that already. I was on it from 1992-1994, then went off to college and religiously swore off mailing lists until I found out that CMU can gateway them. And now I'm back (and still waiting to hear from people about trading tapes as usual - does *anything* ever change? BTW, Matt Flood - did you ever get my tape?) *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: fli ani Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:07:55 -0400 (EDT) Does one need an .fli viewer to view a .fli file? And what is an .fli? Thanks, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Pick me a song! Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:09:57 -0400 (EDT) > > > > On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Peter Young wrote: > > > Hey guys, Petery here. I need some help. I will be DJing a Retro (70s and > > 80s) dance party at Macquarie University (Sydney, Australia) and I would > > like to introduce the swarming masses to TMBG. What song do you think would > > be the best introduction to TMBG? (I think: "Twistin'") And what song best > > fits into the Retro theme? (I think: "We're The Replacements") Any help > > would be appreciated and I will post a list of suggestions after the big > > night! I think the '94 She Was a Discodetective would give a nice 70s disco feel to it. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:22:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: How long I've been on and all that jazz I've been on this list for ..... um ........ 6 months I guess, give or take a few weeks. Oh, and for the guy who wondered about ages, I'm 18, but I will be 19 in a month. Is that it? Ok, I'm done now. Go to my Web Page!! 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 20:16:47 -0700 From: Brian Lamb Subject: Re: fli ani Matthew James wrote: > > Does one need an .fli viewer to view a .fli file? > And what is an .fli? > Thanks, > Matt Indeed you do... I am not sure if they work cross platform, but you can find some players for IBM at http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/animation.html not sure what the Fli extension means, but it is a type of animation file. Later, Brian __________________________________________________________________ The best thing you ever done for me Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life afterall - Indigo Girls ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:00:31 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: the glory of caffeine. At 05:18 PM 4/10/96 -0400, you wrote: > >now i respect Mountain Dew as much as any decent caffeine loving person >can, but i'd have to say that the majestic prescence of COFFEE is what >makes the world go round. and round and round and round. but that's only >after the 2nd 12-cup pot of the strong columbian stuff. Okay, but you can only drink so much coffee. I like Mt. Dew, and JOLT!! because I enjoy carbonated drinks more than anything in the world. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Never trust a politician who feels your pain --Me, I wrote that. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:11:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: the glory of caffeine. > On 4-10-96, David Meyerson wrote: > > >...COFFEE is what makes the world go round. and round and round and > >round. but that's only after the 2nd 12-cup pot of the strong columbian > >stuff > > > 24 cups, eh? That is indeed glorious. Kinda makes my head spin. And > my stomach churn. Speaking of, what do you think J&J's cups-per-day > quota is? :) > "I'm no good in the morning until that first pipping hot pot of coffee...I've tried other enemas, but somehow they weren't the same" -Emo Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:46:44 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: fli ani At 07:07 PM 4/10/96 -0400, you wrote: >And what is an .fli? A small black flying insect that has landed on your monitor... BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Never trust a politician who feels your pain --Me, I wrote that. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: FLI Animation Date: Wed, 10 Apr 96 22:50:19 18000 Woo hoo! I'm really flattered by all the compliments I'm getting over my .Fli animation! I gotta warn you again, though, folks: It's over 3 megs zipped.... and getting it timed up right w/the song "They Might Be Giants" is a small pain to the brain..... Woo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! -Thanks guyz Tom I guess (The Replacement) -- ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 22:54:35 -0400 Subject: Re: CONCERT!!! The Concert at the U. of Chicago, and I tried to get tickets but it's only for college students they said. It's on May 18, I believe. -Young Hickory Napoleon ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 23:24:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Just thinking... and Digest of Old > What if, like Joan Osbourne says, God was One of Us? > > Do you think he'd hate the freaking song too? > > ---Chris > Oh, he definitely would, if He had any taste at all, which He may not. I say that because He created her, and she created that. Of course sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways. I have another question: What if God were One of They? Would their songs be any better? I don't think so. However Their albums would come out more frequently, and on time. --------------------NEW TOPIC-------------------------------------------- > I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? > > > Pat I have only been a member for about a week-and-a-half, so I don't have any old digests. Sorry. --Jack http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Subject: Re: The Digest of Old Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 22:22:30 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Rick C. Petty: >On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Patrick Savage wrote: > >> Also, I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? > >like, a week. like, I got nothin better to do... :) Just for kicks, I looked around for the earliest message I had from the old list: Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 12:36:32 -0600 (CST) I'll bet some of you reading this hadn't even been born yet. ;) -CB ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: FLI Animation Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 00:20:34 -0400 (EDT) > > Woo hoo! I'm really flattered by all the compliments I'm getting over > my .Fli animation! I gotta warn you again, though, folks: It's over 3 > megs zipped.... and getting it timed up right w/the song "They Might > Be Giants" is a small pain to the brain..... I got the .fli to work, it is amazing!!! Awesome work, musta taken forever to make it. I think the movie was about a second behind when I started the song, so I didn't have that lined up perfectly, but I did notice something. When it gets to the snow part and the big big fake fake part it seems to be way behind, like many seconds, I don't know if I was just ahead on the cd or what. It's hard to tell sometimes if you are lined up or not. Maybe I'm just going wacko. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 23:20:28 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: The Digest of Old Patrick Savage writes: >Lately I've been thinking about what the old days of TMBG must've been like >and so I have a little request for you guys. Has anyone who was on this >list many years ago saved any old They Might Be Digests? I've been >subscribed since 1994, but I was just thinking it would be cool to see what >people talked about before that. > >Also, I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? I'm really not sure how long how long I've been on the list, but it's been pretty much from the very beginning. I know that was *at least* as early as 1992, and possibly earlier. Does anybody remember when the list started? It's all a blur to me now. It's always been pretty much the same. Before Apollo came out, people were picking apart Flood (variously the favorite, too trendy, Their worst album ever, their best to date, completely unlike TMBG, a sign that They were "selling out", etc. - all the same things that people seem to invariably say on this list about each new album They release). And then, later of course, was the reaction to the news that They were probably getting a *band* together, which seemed inconceivable at the time, the end of an era... And there were the song interpretations - I remember the start of the very first wave of (&#*!) Particle Man interpretations, and with no particular nostalgia. There was also the construction of the FAQ and the discography, and Smokin' Bo Orloff used to post moderately regularly as something of an answerman (Bill Krauss was also around briefly, but I think that was a bit more recently). And at first I seem to recall that there were a lot more people who either a) didn't know who TMBG were or b) were overjoyed to find out that other people in the world actually knew who TMBG were. The main thing that has changed is that (most of) the bugs have been worked out. When the list started to grow (I remember when we first broke 100 subscribers) there were more and more bugs as Micah struggled with what seemed to be some sort of homebrew listserv. Otherwise, the list has been about as variable as human nature. (Am I forgetting anything?) m@t p.s. I did run across Jonathan Chaffer's very first submission to the list the other day in an old file, but he'd probably just as soon that I don't rebroadcast it....:-) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 01:17:48 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: ***** Chris Bongaarts, are you related to Paul Bongaarts at Northwestern University? Just wondering. ---Cyndi Cyndi Batson ************ Northwestern University ph: 847-332-9052 c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 02:19:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: See you in E-Town Well, it's just a full day's drive away, but I will be there, making the trek from Toronto to Elizabethtown to see TMBG and as many List pals as possible. Hope to see a lot of you there. In fact this is a major reason why I am anticipating this trip. Maybe everyone who is going should say so tomorrow, on the list, so we all know for sure. Maybe this is a stupid idea. Maybe I was wrong about mustard for all those years. Oh well. If you want your presence to be known at E-town, drop a line. Drop a jar of cheese whiz. Just clean up the mess later. Until then, Mike I am. http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~alex can we be stopped no! Mr Barnett took the calibrating source away from the probe. "Suppose you go on a hunt for radioactive treasure, young man." "Oh, boy!" said Sam. "In one of those drawers behind the showcase, there's a big chunk of carnotite. That's a mineral ore of uranium. See if you can tell which drawer it's in." Frowning seriously, Sam started his search. Randy said, "Prospecting must be a lot of fun, Dad." --There's Adventure In Atomic Energy, 1957 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-102 ******************************