Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 103 Friday, 12 April 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG radio & TV shows (and Re: Ages) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-102 Etown tomorrow!!! George Masion University? e-town Countdown to E-town! Ryan, are ya out there? ETOWN! Etown Years MORE AGES LIVERPOOL! NEW TMBG VIDEOS Elementary school science project A whole bunch o' stuff My CD's :) Re: My CD's :) TMBG and Alanis. Ignore my brother.... Re: the glory of caffeine. Re: TMBG and Alanis. Re: TMBG and Alanis. Re: TMBG and Alanis. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-102 Alanis, etc.... Flansburgh Videos Re: TMBG and Alanis. Etown People RE:Ages Again Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-102 E-town Re: The Digest of Old Etown tickets Re: Vienna, Virginia Re: Ignore my brother.... Singles RE:Ages Again Re: E-town old list stuff Edison Wax Cylinder Recording Session. Re: (Fwd) (Fwd) Fwd: Elementary school science project "Everything you know is wrong" please...help...stop Re: old list stuff DCD Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 19:42:12 +1200 From: sjp6@waikato.ac.nz (Sam Pearson) Subject: TMBG radio & TV shows (and Re: Ages) > On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 Joyce Frost wrote: >I am the wonderfully boring age of 19 at this point...I guess you could >call it the searching-for-your-Major-age, seeing as I just changed my >major for the third. I am now an English/Computer Science Major with a >minor in Math. Exciting stuff huh? I would be a philosophy minor but >*Sniff* my school doesnt offer it. > -Joyce Woooo. This is true. I am also of this age and have also just altered my major for my third year. I am now a Biology/Law Major now with a minor in Chemistry. But I never wanted to take philosophy. > On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 Willy Nunn wrote: >>Out of curiosity are there any other Chem Eng. majors out there? Woooo again. I was going to take Chem Eng. but decided not to. The next year I decided to take an Eng. major again, but decided not to (again) Well time to get onto TMBG related stuff. On the 24th of april (that's 24/4/96 not 4/24/96) I am doing a special radio show dedicated to TMBG. It's on Contact 89FM to student radio station here in Hamilton (Cowtown) but due to the fact it's a student station, so is budget, the radio mast is on top of the Uni library so only broadcasts the Hamilton area. Alas. So if you guys have any info you want to send me, or want to reccomend, even request any songs, just go ahead and mail me. Also the student TV station (called 'Static') has a music video show on it, and the producer/MC person who runs it ( who also happens to be the programme director for Contact) knows my sister well so I asked if she could play some TMBG vid's and she said if I could provide them, she would. So she's gonna get to play the ones off the BarNone video comp. See ya. Sam. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 05:07:02 -0400 (EDT) From: "Conan O'Brien" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-102 > Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:57:47 +1000 (EST) > From: KAREN CRAWFORD > > TMBG don't get a huge air-play here. Do they get huge air-play anywhere? > Also, on the last Australian tour, T-shirts were sold featuring a > caricature of TMBG on the front and a drawing of a dog on the back. Does > this dog have any relevance to the band or was it just an interesting way > to fill up a blank space? The picture reminds me of a children's book > called "The Pokey Little Puppy". Is this where the picture is from? They also sold that shirt on the American Tour before John Henry came out. MY friends and I think it is the Pokey Little Puppy too. > Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:24:21 -0500 (EST) > From: CORT > Subject: A silly question! > > but I seem to have forgotten the answer! *blush*) Anyways, can somebody > tell me who does the vocals for 'O Do Not Forsake Me'? (please?) That would be a group called Hudson Shad. The lead is WIlbur Pauley. > From: Patrick Savage > Also, I was wondering...how long has everyone been subscribed to this list? This is the second digest I've received- I found the website 24 hours ago. I'm Dwayne, but you can call me Kelp. I'm 19 years old and live in Michigan. I've been listening to TMBG since 1992. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:21:21 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Etown tomorrow!!! I will be making the trek from lovely Meadville to even lovelier Elizhabethtown tomorrow to see them. If anybody is interested in meeting up there let me know. It would be cool to see who has been filling up my mailbox these past few months. Anyway, see ya there. ************************************************************************** "The call me Mr. Knowitall, I am so eloquent. Perfection is my middle name and whatever rhymes with eloquent." - Les Claypool M.C.I. of "This Show Sucks" fame. Fridays 9-11 am ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 09:36:15 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: George Masion University? I have a friend that keeps babbling on about a show at George Masion university on April 19 but I never heard about it and I never even heard of that college before. If someone knows where it is tell me so I can call and confirm or deny this rumour. He says that there is going to be a show but has no more details about it. Anyone know? ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: e-town Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:03:41 -0400 (EDT) For all going to e-town, I'm gonna try to bring the troops up to e-town between 6:30-7. It says on the tix 8, but I don't know if that's when the doors open or when the concert starts? I wonder if there is an opening band? Ah well I wanna get up there kinda early, meet some people, claim some floor space, have a good time~ Matt~ -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:01:22 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: Countdown to E-town! Hiya everyone, it's cortney! I too am making the trek to E-town tommorow (a mere 34 hours until showtime!!!) For all of you that are also going, I hope ya have an amazing time! For all of you that can't make it, I hope that TMBG comes to your town sooooooon! Oh! And if you guys are meeting up, let me know! See ya there! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:11:23 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: Ryan, are ya out there? Sorry to do this again! But Ryan (Sturm?), if you are out there. please email me with your address! (please?) Thanks, and sorry again! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:22:20 EST Subject: ETOWN! I am eagerly anticipating the etown show... A few friends and I will be there. The folks at the college were extremely accomodating - sending us all sorts of maps and directions... Woo hoo! We'll be bringing along the trusty frisbee and hope that it's not too windy to play in the lot before the show. See you all there!!! -Tara ps- for people coming from outside of the etown area, it's supposed to be in the mid 70s on friday! :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 11:41:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Etown If, say, I wanted to boot the Etown concert, how might I best go about it? I've never done this before, so I need to know everything. What kind of tape recorder? Do I need to keep it outside something or can I leave it in my pocket, etc? Do they watch out for ppl doing that, kick them out, etc? Thanks. Oh, also, since I doubt I can get there early, can we meet afterwards also? And if I get there early, where are we all meeting? Thanks once again. RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:06:10 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: Years I am 14 (15 in a month...) and I have been on the list for like 2 years. Whatever happened to the video bootleg? Is that still happenin? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:42:55 -0400 (EDT) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: MORE AGES Oh, and I almost forgot to add that I was introduced to TMBG by my former boyfriend and he is now 32. Or 33. DOnt' know, but he reamins very cool and we reamin very good frineds. Even went to a Them concert together last year, and probably would have this year, too, had we been in the same town. Them is a bond stronger than love, perhaps. AND! HE learned of THEM from people even older than him! Bear in mind, we were all in our early 20's when making these discoveries, but we are old now. I even know someone who is (GULP) like 40 or older who admires Them. I could go on forever. Joni ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:37:20 -0400 (EDT) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: LIVERPOOL! Phil, You are not the only one working at a University rather than attending one. We have Mark teaching art in Hawaii; I am the audio-visual curator(archivist/photographer) for the School of Architecture at Princeton (ooooh), and there's you. And, we are *all* elderly (I am 29 and not budging another inch!), long-time TMBG fans, too. Hmmf. Perhaps we are blazing a path for the future. All TMBG fans will eventually end up working for universities, and we will be able to infiltrate the minds of the young, influencing and changing the ways of education throughout the universe! Or, not really. --Joni Ps Once I had this really cool book called "The Mersey Beat: THe beginnings of the Beatles" or somesuch, and it was all reproduced pages of the Mersey Beat newspaper thingie that showed the Beatles with Stu, playing at the cavern, ditching Pete, playing in Germany, and finally going to america, as it happened. It was the coolest thing. Unfortunatly, my Parent's basement flooded, and it was lost. So sad. That is my round-about way of telling you how cool I think it is that you are in Liverpool. Gee. ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: NEW TMBG VIDEOS Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 12:02:00 P REcently I heard from some one who had these videos: David Letterman (5/12/90) Your Racist Friend Much Music Canada (???90) Interview Segments Interview She's Actual Size (live) Mammal (Live) The Statue Got Me High (video) David Letterman (5/19/92) I Palindrome I (live) The Tonight Show (7/5/92) The Guitar(live) Interview The Statue Got me High (live) Conan O'Brien (10/26/93) Why Does the Sun Shine (live) WEll, the persobn that had them has stopped replying to my messages, so I was wondering if any one else had these videos? Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 12:56:42 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: Elementary school science project >> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- >> >> Hi, our names are Stevie and Amanda. We are in the 5th grade at the >> Phillipston Memorial school, Phillipston, Massachusetts, USA. We are doing >> a science project on the Internet. We want to see how many responses we >> can get back in two weeks. (We are only sending out 2 letters). >> >> Please respond and then send this letter to anyone you communicate with on >> the Internet. Respond to ***smc@tiac.net*** >> >> 1. Where do you live (state and country)? >> 2. From whom did you get this letter? >> >> Thank you, >> >> Stevie and Amanda >> >> >> P.S. Remember, no replies after April 17, 1996. Thanks again! >> Cyndi Batson ************ Northwestern University ph: 847-332-9052 c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 14:20:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: A whole bunch o' stuff Here's a mass reply to all the things that have been going around on the list: Emo: There are two official Emo concerts, E=MO^2 on audio cassete (and vinyl) and Emo Live At The Hasty Pudding Theater on video. I also have numerous radio shows that he has done. To the person that was curious, that's where I get all my Emo quotes. The fact that I have memorised most of his routines helps. "Once, I was in a bar...going from stool to stool, trying to get lucky...but there wasn't gum under any of them." -Emo Age & List: I'm 22 (23 in one week), and have been on the list since something like late February of this year. Since then, my life has been changed for the better. Mouchas Gracias (in the style of Quentin Tarantino in From Dusk Til Dawn) Etown: Yes indeed, I am going to Etown tomorrow. Waking up at 4:30 in the morning...driving for 10 hours or so! But it will be worth it. I'm excited about meeting as many listers as I can, and of course, seeing Them perform. To those of you who can't make it to the show, my condolences...but I'm sure They'll be coming to your neck of the woods soon, so don't fret. To the person asking about booting the show, any decent recording walkman will do...just don't get those little micro cassette recorders, the bite! You should keep it out of your pocket for better sound quality, and for ease of flipping the tape over. Of course, I don't really know any of this first hand...it's just what I've heard...really. Tom Hare: I took a peek at Tom Hare's fli (ahh, only on this list could I make a joke of such high caliblre, and not get flamed...maybe). Never-the-less, I looked at the animation (which took an hour and a half to download, 'cause my computer is coal powered), and was thoroughly impressed...good job. It was kinda tought to get the song in sync with the imagery, but it worked out. That's it...I've gone on for much too long. I'll stop now. Alex http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex A place where the mysteries of life become clear. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 14:25:59 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: My CD's :) I just got my tmbg order!! Finally after 3 months!!! but i didn't get the whole order. They are out of O Tannenbaum and Why does the sun shine...so if you're waiting...they're out of stock. But they sent me a way cool sticker free, the new tmbg logo, the orange sunburst one. its cool. Woah, tmbg put Janet jackson on istanbul ?! neato! <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> -- Registered ICC User check out http://www.zoop.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 11:43:55 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: Re: My CD's :) Amy wrote: > > I just got my tmbg order!! Finally after 3 months!!! but i didn't > get the whole order. They are out of O Tannenbaum and Why does the sun > shine...so if you're waiting...they're out of stock. But they sent me a way > cool sticker free, the new tmbg logo, the orange sunburst one. its cool. > Woah, tmbg put Janet jackson on istanbul ?! neato! > <<<<<{a}{m}{y}>>>>> Hey cool Seta! It feels great even after the long wait! It was that new logo that was on my shirt that I told you about. -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ From: jon114@ibm.net Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 20:54:38 +0000 Subject: TMBG and Alanis. I was listening to Alanis Morissette a few days ago, (seeing as she's my favorite performer), and from the other room, my brother's room, I heard They Might be Giants, BLARING. I tried to focus on my music, and ignore the sound. I couldn't. I soon found that the two artists really sound alike! Though Alanis is country/rock, and TMBG are alternative, or something, they really sound great when combined! Particle man, particle man. Doing 'Cause the love that you gave the things a particle can . . . that we made wasn't able to make it enough for you to be open wide, no! I hope you know I'm just kidding. There's a message conveyed in my article, "Please turn it down. There are a lot of Alanis fans out there." Thanx. Jon. (My brother is Benny79.) ------------------------------ From: benny79@ibm.net Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 21:15:43 +0000 Subject: Ignore my brother.... Hello again fellow fans. I have recently received word that my brother was promoting Alanis Morissette and insulting Their integrity. I beg everybody listening to flood his mailbox at: jon114@ibm.net with insults, threats, flames, and any other form of insulting that you can. If any of you agree with him, that Alanis is better than TMBG, then that's too bad for you. However, any help in putting down Alanis will be greatly appreciated and might help to smother his childish Alanis supporting. Remember, They do not deserve this cruel and unusual treatment. Destroy his mailbox. Make sure he NEVER writes here again. Trust me. You won't hurt his feelings. Thank you for your support, Ben Jammin' Campbell P.S. Thank everyone who wrote to me about the John Henry import. After some careful considering, I have decided not to buy it. It costs $45.00!! Too rich for my blood. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:45:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: the glory of caffeine. On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, The Big Blue Dog wrote: > Okay, but you can only drink so much coffee. I like Mt. Dew, and JOLT!! > because I enjoy carbonated drinks more than anything in the world. Jolt is a total myth, a marketing scam. They claim to have "twice the caffeine" of regular carbonated drinks, but in reality that doesn't make any difference at all. Regular cola drinks have roughly 50 mg of caffeine in them, so this makes Jolt in the 100 mg range. You would have to drink two jolts just to get the caffeine of one regular cup of coffee. (which contains 200 mg) That's about four times as much liquid. Any caffeine buzz one may get from Jolt is purely psychological. But it does taste good though. Amanda, the science geek ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 16:10:26 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: TMBG and Alanis. > I was listening to Alanis Morissette a few days ago, (seeing as she's > my favorite performer), and from the other room, my brother's room, I > heard They Might be Giants, BLARING. I tried to focus on my music, > and ignore the sound. I couldn't. I soon found that the two artists > really sound alike! Though Alanis is country/rock, and TMBG are > alternative, or something, they really sound great when combined! How can you insult rock or country like that. Moresset is nether, she is mindless screaming. The first time I heard he song on the radio I said, "What the hell kind of shit is this" and turned it off. I also dind't go into a record store because they had her playing. Listening to her songs seemed to drain the life force out of me with her " Ayyeee yueee aa ayee yiii yi" type of 'singing'. I think the Canadains sent her to the US because they couldn't stand her singing up there. She is just more proof that record compaines try to promote an image instead of music and if you play enough crap on the radio people are bound to be brain- washed into liking to song which I have seen many of times when a person says "Oh this song sucks", then after a week of non stop air time they say "Yeah this is my favorite song". And many of the bands that get air time are fly by night bands anyway that only make one record that sells, then come out with a new record in two months then they vanish from the earth then you see them like 3 or 4 years later on MTV begging for a record deal then after that doesn't happen you see them working in MacDonalds like 20 years later. > > Particle man, particle man. Doing 'Cause the love that you gave > the things a particle can . . . that we made wasn't able to > make it enough for you to be > open wide, no! > > I hope you know I'm just kidding. There's a message conveyed in my > article, You have questonable taste in music? > > "Please turn it down. There are a lot of Alanis fans out there." I don't think the structre of buildings or pains of glass could take that. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:15:02 -0500 (CDT) From: "Tasha E. Kelter" <00208045@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG and Alanis. On Thu, 11 Apr 1996 jon114@ibm.net wrote: > "Please turn it down. There are a lot of Alanis fans out there." Um, there was like one guy who was playing Them too loud. Right? As in One? Just one? Let me get this straight. JUST one. One occasion? Right? (Just trying to gather my facts.) tasha ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:09:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: TMBG and Alanis. wow! good thing I thought better of it and read the rest of the message before I sent back my nasty reply. :) Amanda (who, in no way, likes alanis) On Thu, 11 Apr 1996 jon114@ibm.net wrote: > I was listening to Alanis Morissette a few days ago, (seeing as she's > my favorite performer), and from the other room, my brother's room, I > heard They Might be Giants, BLARING. I tried to focus on my music, > and ignore the sound. I couldn't. I soon found that the two artists > really sound alike! Though Alanis is country/rock, and TMBG are > alternative, or something, they really sound great when combined! > > Particle man, particle man. Doing 'Cause the love that you gave > the things a particle can . . . that we made wasn't able to > make it enough for you to be > open wide, no! > > I hope you know I'm just kidding. There's a message conveyed in my > article, > > "Please turn it down. There are a lot of Alanis fans out there." > > Thanx. > > Jon. (My brother is Benny79.) > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:38:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Jamie Choquette Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-102 Hey does anybody know the deal behind Flans directing "Never met a girl like you before" video? Also Brian Doherty playing vibraphone in the video. I saw it the other day and wanted to know if he has directed anything else. Jamie ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Alanis, etc.... Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:53:52 -0500 (CDT) look, I had assumed that people that listened to tmbg would be a little open- minded about music in general and things like that.... So someone likes Alanis more than tmbg. So what. I like Alanis a lot, and I admit I'm prone to blast her music loudly at times. I personally think that tmbg makes better music, but that's my opinion. A long time ago, someone made a comment about a discussion they had, where a "good band" was Bush, and whoever this was ('twas truly a long time ago) ended with "'nuff said." What's up with this? Can't we just appreciate the fact that other people like different kinds of music? *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- CJ is now getting down off of his soapbox. Sorry bout that..... Have a nice day, everyone. -CJ Consciousness: That annoying ,.*'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`'*. stretch of time between naps ,.*'` This message was brought to you by | ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'` CJ "Cyborg" Kucera at St. Norbert College | WOW: Quixotic `'*.,_______________kucecj@sncac.snc.edu__________.,*' ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:11:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Flansburgh Videos n Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Jamie Choquette wrote: > Hey does anybody know the deal behind Flans directing "Never met a girl > like you before" video? Also Brian Doherty playing vibraphone in the > video. I saw it the other day and wanted to know if he has directed > anything else. Flansburgh directed "los Angeles" for Frank Black. A new Flansburgh-directed video came on 120 Minutes a couple of weeks ago, but I don't listen to the band so I don't remember who it was. Amanda ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:18:45 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG and Alanis. In a message dated 96-04-11 15:33:04 EDT, you write: >I hope you know I'm just kidding. There's a message conveyed in my >article, > >"Please turn it down. There are a lot of Alanis fans out there." > >Thanx. > >Jon. (My brother is Benny79.) > freak(sickle), I will now procceed to kill you until you are DEAD, alanis morrisette is in no way at all compareable to THEY MIGHT BE (alanis slaying) GIANTS. The first reason for this is that TMBG actually makes music where as alanis just sort crunches her vocal chords and "plays" a harmonic with an unmentionable body part... (quick break to laugh hysterically) Why the hell do you like her? Is it her good looks (heheheh)? Maybe the incredible talent of her band ? It must have been that you were dropped as a child or ate a lot of paint chips... basically what I'm saying is that you need to go out, get some taste in music and a paper bag to wear while listening to the EVIL ONE (did I mention I'm a big fan of Ms. Morrisette's work) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:16:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Etown People Hmmm, this may be a dumb idea, but... what if we all wore name tags? We'd only have to wear them before and after the show, and I bet if I saw a whole group of people standing around with nametags on (regardless of the name, but names could avoid confusion with other people with nametags on who aren't from the list - yeah, RIGHT - when there aren't very many people there), I would know right where the list people were. Whaddya think? Also, for anyone who cares, I'll be wearing the Hats tshirt (the one where they're wearing guitar, drums, accordion), and I'm 5'10 with brown hair. :) RS ------------------------------ From: FREDERDK@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:13:28 -0500 (EST) Subject: RE:Ages Again You are not alone. I'm 34, work at Miami U in Ohio, and am totally alone in a land where hearts throb for Michael Bolton, and radios are tuned to stations that haven't updated their playlists since the mid-eighties. No one knows who They are, except the students. Luckily, I have a friend who tolorates Them, and we are going to see them on May 17. When I heard They were coming, I bounced up and down the hall spreading the news. No one cared, I knew that, but I told them anyway. The students in my office were impressed, however, and invited me to join them. One kid even said it'd kinda be like having a cool mother along. How sweet. So sweet, in fact, that I didn't have the heart to tell him that They are playing a 21 and over club where even I am carded. What a shame he's so young! Deanne Frederick ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 21:30:48 +0000 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-102 > On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Peter Young wrote: > > > Hey guys, Petery here. I need some help. I will be DJing a Retro (70s and > > 80s) dance party at Macquarie University (Sydney, Australia) and I would > > like to introduce the swarming masses to TMBG. What song do you think would > > be the best introduction to TMBG? (I think: "Twistin'") And what song best > > fits into the Retro theme? (I think: "We're The Replacements") Any help > > would be appreciated and I will post a list of suggestions after the big > > night! > > Thanx, Petery. > > > > Well, I think That Twistin Would be a good intro, but if you want to > introduce them, I'd give more songs to introduce them properly... Ana Ng, > Snail Shell, We want a Rock, I Palindrome I, and a few others would > really help to give a WELL Rounded intro to the 'Giants work... > > Just a thought... > > -=-Chris Hmm... While I agree that more TMBG is better, Snail Shell et. al. don't strike me as being particularly retro. I'm thinkin' Lady is a Tramp (too retro, mebbe?), The Famous Polka (imagine how much fun it would be to suddenly scream out, "Everybody POLKA!!"), Moving to the Sun, Stormy Pinkness, The World's Address... play No One Knows My Plan and see if you can get everyone to conga. Maybe you can get away with playing The Guitar-- it does contain an actual '60's song. Sort of. > Hiya everyone!!! I hope you're all having beautiful Wednesdays! Anyway, > I have a silly question to ask (I *know* that it's been discussed before, > but I seem to have forgotten the answer! *blush*) Anyways, can somebody > tell me who does the vocals for 'O Do Not Forsake Me'? (please?) Thanks > bunches in advance! > sun and smiles > cortney No prob. The vocal group is called Hudson Shad (I always thought a shad was a kind of fish, but hey), and the members are: Wilbur Pauley, bass (lead vocal on ODNFM) Peter Becker, bass baritone Hugo Munday, baritone Mark Bleeke, tenor 1 William Douglas Vannice, tenor 2 So here I am, in sunny north CA, in shorts and a t-shirt... just got back from Disneyland, where it was extremely hot (80-85 would be my guess) Sorry to gloat. Think of it this way-- yucky weather is the price you pay for having Them give concerts in your area all the time. :) Been subscribed to the list for a little over a year now... it hasn't changed much, really. -nnicole, aka 18-year-old non-film student whose parents and sister loathe and detest Them and refer to Their gorgeous music as "the noise", much to nnicole's chagrin. Teri-- did you ever get my tape? "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: E-town Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 17:38:11 18000 Well... tomorrow at 8:00 (Is Pennsylvania Eastern or Central time?) or, apparently, 9:00, I will be sure to attempt to take an out-of-body experience to Elizabethtown to enjoy the concert and meet folks off the list! Otherwise... I'll be stuck at home chanting "ohm... Ohm...." Sheesh. I WISH I could goooo.......... -Tom I guess (Thermostat) -- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:42:27 +0600 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Re: The Digest of Old Deanna Rubin wrote: >It's been the same. Really. Except back then it was the other tours >we'd talk about (I subbed in the beginning of the Apollo 18 tour, so I >followed the tour dates and reviews of it eagerly back then.. that was >also before alt.music.tmbg or whatever existed.) and music and debate >over meaning of songs.. and Greg Galcik used to update us on the >continuing saga of his Spider shirts (anyone else out there still have >theirs?) and the battle with TMBG's management.. What was the battle with their management about? >TMBG.. and to be honest, I think the signal-to-noise ratio back then >was much higher, instead of these "How old are you? Who else likes >Red Dwarf?" messages that flood the list now. Actually, I've noticed that just in the past two years that I've been subscribed. Going off on wild tangents is ok to a point, but threads like Mr. Blobby, political debates, and chain mail crap is really inappropriate for this list. I guess there are more people subscribed now which would kind of explain it, but it's still annoying. Pat -- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:46:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Etown tickets Now, an interesting situation has arisen. When (today) I called Etown's number to get my tickets, the person (whoever) wasn't there. They of course had an answering machine, but if I leave my info and they don't get back to me today no one will be at my house tomorrow. However, tomorrow I don't really have time to call. So this leaves me in need of 2 tickets (and to tell me you have them fast), or a number to call to talk to someone who can give me them. Any info on either would be appreciated. Otherwise, I can have my dad call tomorrow and try to get a message to me tomorrow, but that's a bad option. RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:00:13 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Vienna, Virginia > thermostat problems... hmmm. my thermostat failed in my car around the time > of john henry too, although i think it was actually a bit after... needing a > new one me and my father replaced the old one, and i thought it would be a > cool souvineer of my car, and thinking of the song thermostat, i figured > it'd be a cool tmbg thing to have, so i put it on a string and now it's a > necklace... a bit bulky, but not too bad... Strange...right around the time of Back to Skull my car one day suddenly had aquired an Ondine welded to the hood...hmm.... erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 19:07:49 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: Ignore my brother.... On Thu, 11 Apr 1996 benny79@ibm.net wrote: > for you. However, any help in putting down Alanis will be greatly > appreciated and might help to smother his childish Alanis supporting. > Remember, They do not deserve this cruel and unusual treatment. ok, i feel really stupid for posting to the list about this, but it's something i feel really strongly about... Those people who listen to Alanis have every right to listen to her, and she has every right to exist...and we have every right to HATE her. (trust me, when my generic roommate sits in my room with about 5 of her friends, blasts alanis, and has singalongs, i HATE her...)...but, i have always upheld people's rights to thier opinions...having grown up in a town where everyone tried to cram their beliefs down my throat, i appreciate understanding and acceptance..our opinions do not have to change, but we could be a little more cordial... *cringe*...as much as i hate to say it, Alanis deserves not to be treated cruelly and unusually as much as They don't deserve it. ok, on another note...damn! i am soo envious of all of you going to the etwon show....it hurts even more because i live 20 minutes away from the college! i even have friends in e-town! but, here i am, stuck at school...i dont even get out of class (mandatory that i attend) until 4, and it's a 4 hour drive, and i'd have to be back the next day, and i wouldnt be out of here until like 4:30 anyway, and.. waah! it hurts, it really does, to have Them playing so close to home... ok, just thought i'd share... sorry about the weird post, but i was overdue... :) oh, what can you guys tell me about that Joshua Fried post the other day...? was that just an advertisement type of thing? thanks for listening! --Fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ From: Butrose17@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 19:16:51 -0400 Subject: Singles I'm looking for any singles by the Giants. I've tried all of the local stores and have only found one. I went down to Arizona last summer, and I went in a music store that had "The statue Got Me High" single and "Return to Skull". I bought "Return to Skull" for 50 cents, and now I'm kicking myself for not buying the other one. If anyone has any Idea where you can buy these, could you please tell me? And another thing, I've tried to join the TMBG fan club many times, but I still haven't received anything in the mail. Is there some reason for this? If anyone has any answers that might help me, I'd appreciate it. QUIZ FOR TODAY: Where does the line "...Your head is on the moon..." come from? difficulty rating: (1-10)-"2" I love you all! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:47:56 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: RE:Ages Again Re: fans over 30 who work at and/or attend universities, I fit both categories. I am 33, a Ph.D. candidate in English at Stanford, and I work part-time in the campus library. I'm encouraged to hear murmurs from similarly decrepit listmongers out there, and curious whether there are any other subscribers who are pursuing (or have already caught) advanced degrees, particularly in the Humanities. Sometimes I get the urge to talk heavy semiotic Giant-analysis with other pedants. Every once in a while I post some extravagantly baroque little neo-formalist discourse on some They song or other, and only a very few fellow readers, either out of disgust with my pseudo-intellectual posturing or sympathy for my mental illness, bother to post any sort of response. Kasey "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 15:48:03 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re: E-town On 4/11/96 at 5:38 PM, Tom Hare wrote: >...chanting "ohm... Ohm...." Sheesh. >I WISH I could goooo.......... I'm quite certain I'll be attempting some sort of astral projection myself...HEY! If we all got together and started "Ohm"-ing in unison... it's a crazy idea, but it JUST MIGHT work... SuzyB "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." - Tom Waits ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 21:05:51 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: old list stuff I've been on the list since fall of 1994, I think. I used to get the insta-list, but after the very traumatic disappearance of the list about a year ago, I switched to the digest once things got straightened out again. It's nice not having 50 new messages every time I log on... Let's see...I remember stuff like the lactose intolerance thread, the coriolus (sp??) effect (about whether or not water really spirals the wrong way down the sink in the southern hemisphere), etc. (Oh, and by the way--by mentioning these old threads I am NOT necessarily condoning starting them up again... :) ah, the nostalgia... Oh, and about the age thing--I'm 20. Which reminds me--the guy who said he's been a fan "since They opened for Jethro Tull in the early seventies"--ah, I may be a youngun', but you can't fool me. :) You know, I've been wondering--are any of you familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality type classification thing? If anybody's taken it and just can't remember it by name, it's the one where you're classified as an ENFP, ISTJ, etc. I'm curious as to whether or not a certain type tends to predominate among TMBG fans. I'm an INFP. How about anybody else? Wearing your confused expression, --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:33:22 -0400 Subject: Edison Wax Cylinder Recording Session. **********You are invited to a sit-in on a Wax Cylinder Recording Session! On Saturday, April 27, 1996 at the Edison Laboratory.**********w/ special guests They Might Be Giants! Using a genuine 1898 Edison recording studio phonograph.********** **********The Edison National Historic Site. West Orange, New Jersey. Sessions begin at 11:00am, 12:30pm and 2:00pm. Seating is limited. Call (201)736-0550, ex. 42 for reservations.********** Love, Brooks, who will be there with posse in tow. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 02:32:01 GMT Subject: Re: (Fwd) (Fwd) Fwd: Elementary school science project From: grimjack@usa.pipeline.com (Donald Bret Mundy) On Apr 12, 1996 00:48:37, 'lorelei@usa.pipeline.com (Kilroy)' wrote: >smc@tiac.net ----- Hi kids :) I live in Columbus, Ohio and recieved your message from an IRC friend nicknamed Kilroy. Good luck with your project. GrimJack ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 21:46:15 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: "Everything you know is wrong" Has anyone listened to "Everything you know is wrong" by Weird Al Yankovic on his new album, Bad Hair Day? It sounds JUST LIKE a TMBG song the way that the music and tempo and stuff is. And he actually started to sound like one of the Johns...And he uses a lot of stuff from tmbg songs, like "rabid" and "jacket" and lots of other things that relate to many different TMBG songs. Plus the bizarreness of the lyrics. Oh yeah, he used "prosthetic" too. How many other artists use that word?! *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:48:41 -0400 From: smc@tiac.net (Sylvia Charland) Subject: please...help...stop First, thank you for taking your time to respond to the girls. Unfortunately, we did not realize that the volume of responses would be so ENORMOUS. Also, although it is wonderful to read the encouraging messages and your responses, we just don't have a big enough computer to handle the possible growth of this. We have received over 5000 letters just so far today. We can't handle any more. We certainly have learned a lot - the internet is BIG and people's hearts are even bigger! PLEASE DO NOT FORWARD THE LETTER ANY MORE. If you have already sent the letter, would you *please* forward this memo to the same list. Thanks for your response and help.....Stevie's Mom and Dad If this is a repeat message or not personalized it is because we are receiving messages about 8/minute and can't read them all right away. Thanks again for your kindness and help. P.S. We plan on sending each one of you the results of the science project. You'll hear from us at the end of may. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: old list stuff Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:07:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Tara Lynne Weber: >You know, I've been wondering--are any of you familiar with the >Myers-Briggs personality type classification thing? If anybody's taken Yup. I'm an INFJ. My brother (who is also a big TMBG fan) is INFP. -CB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:39:05 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: DCD On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Hefley, Paula wrote: > "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." > - Tom Waits I thought this was a quote from a Dead Can Dance album, but I guess they quotes from Mr. Waits. I don't really want to start another thread, but does anybody else out there listen to DCD? Or is it another "closet album?" --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-103 ******************************