Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-104 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 104 Saturday, 13 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: E-town Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 Re: LIVERPOOL! Okay, you're right. Flans the supervisor Barry Black, Ben Folds, Band of Weeds, & Ben or Been Linnell interview (fwd) quote? (was: DCD) HELLO INFORMATION me at e-town! RE: one-eyed man is king A bit more Edison info. Re: the glory of caffeine. Re: old list stuff Re: Linnell interview (fwd) Re: Linnell interview (fwd) Tom Waits quote Re: Linnell interview (fwd) Re: Linnell interview (fwd) another thing? HELLO's '94 discography MORE HELLO INFORMATION Re: Ignore my brother.... Re: HELLO INFORMATION Re: "Everything you know is wrong" Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 (none) Blind HELLO Order Form and '95 Discography A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING NEW MUSIC BY FLANSBURGH AND LINNELL Brian Dewan Re: Ignore my brother.... linnell clone (fwd) Re: HELLO's '94 discography Re: Linnell interview (fwd) does anyone have a clue... Brain Candy Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 Re: old list stuff Re: Linnell interview (fwd) old list stuff Re: old list stuff Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 meyers-briggs stuff Re: "Everything you know is wrong" Web Pagemaker Re: Web Pagemaker Re: old list stuff (none) Blagh Myers-Briggs (none) (none) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:47:46 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: E-town On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Hefley, Paula wrote: > "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." > - Tom Waits Ummm... I think someone else other than Tom Waits came up with that one. I forget who it is offhand. Some philosopher dude? Any ideas? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:57:27 -0400 (EDT) From: "By starlight..." Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 > Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 21:46:15 -0500 (CDT) > From: Chris Kopenec > Subject: "Everything you know is wrong" > > Has anyone listened to "Everything you know is wrong" by Weird Al > Yankovic on his new album, Bad Hair Day? It sounds JUST LIKE a TMBG song > the way that the music and tempo and stuff is. And he actually started > to sound like one of the Johns...And he uses a lot of stuff from tmbg > songs, like "rabid" and "jacket" and lots of other things that relate to > many different TMBG songs. Plus the bizarreness of the lyrics. Oh yeah, > he used "prosthetic" too. How many other artists use that word?! I thought the exact same thing, especially when he breaks into that horn/bari sax bridge! I started a discussion on this on my home system, and someone pointed out that it also sounds like "Midnight Star, part II" (One of Al's earlier works, if you didn't know.) Glad to know I'm not completely out of my mind in seeing that similarity! One foot in reality, one foot in someone's ear. _____________________________________________________________________ /-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\ \=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-razor@arbornet.org=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=/ \=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/ \/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 12:39:15 +0000 (GMT) From: "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" Subject: Re: LIVERPOOL! Hi Joni! You wrote: >Perhaps we are blazing a path for the future. All TMBG fans will >eventually end up working for universities, and we will be able to >infiltrate the minds of the young, influencing and changing the ways of >education throughout the universe! >Or, not really. I think WHY NOT! The more of us olds that work around the intelligent (and I use that word with extreme reluctance!!) students of today, the more Their message will get through...... whatever that message is! >Ps Once I had this really cool book called "The Mersey Beat: THe >beginnings of the Beatles" or somesuch...... Unfortunatly, my Parent's >basement flooded, and it was lost. So sad. >That is my round-about way of telling you how cool I think it is that you >are in Liverpool. Gee. Yes it is very cool in Liverpool. The mix of Scouse and Irish, together with 5O,OOO students, makes it a very interesting city. Add the three football - or soccer - teams round here and the excellent pubs/clubs, and this is one brilliant place to be. Oh, apart from the fact that They have NEVER played here. :( Phil "okay, maybe I like not being Stateside" Moss ------------------------------ From: jon114@ibm.net Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 14:03:56 +0000 Subject: Okay, you're right. After your huge flood of insults, put-downs, FLAMES, etc., (sob), I surrender. And I'm not ALL against TMBG. I have been to one of their concerts. I thought I might tell you about it. It was in the smallest concert hall you can imagine; no seats or any- thing. I don't know why I went. Curiosity, I guess. So anyway, you can bet I was the only one there who didn't like TMBG, and I was one of the youngest people there. I wasn't singing along, dancing, (I'm not sure if I was even MOVING), or enjoying myself. There were drugs, punks, weirdos, it was hot - the girl next to me was flinging her unwashed hair in my face to the rythym of particle man . . . At moments in the concert, John, uhhh, Linnel I think it was, would glance at me and smile - I was seven feet from him and must have stuck out like a sore thumb; a motionless blob in a small crowd of moshers. Well, that was my little, yet GIANT experiance. Jon. ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:15:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Flans the supervisor Organization: Rollins College About Flans directing the Girl Like You video (which I haven't seen... no cable in my dorm :( )... The first vid he directed was for a song called The Guitar by some freaky band called They Must Be Giants or something. Then he did Los Angeles AND Hang On To Your Ego videos for Frank Black. Here endeth the lesson... Destin ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:01:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Barry Black, Ben Folds, Band of Weeds, & Ben or Been Ben or Been here with lots of B's. If you liked the Hello offerrings Band of Weeds & Spanish Fly and if you're a budding collector of the music of Ben Folds you may appreciate the self-titled debut by the group Barry Black which is mostly an instrumental album that has Ben Folds playing drums and such. If you'd like a brief sample of Barry Black's "Animals Are for Eating," call Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-2583 (It's the first tidbit of music you'll hear when you call!) Also, featured on Ben's Dial-A-Song today is "Dinner Bell" as sung by Linnell on _Apollo 18_ and also following that selection, the last part of the "Istanbul" remix. WOW! Lots of great music! Leaving Las Degas, Ben or Been (sweating to the ballerinae) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:38:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Linnell interview (fwd) Ben or Been here. I got this message almost a full year ago through the Digest-of-Then, and thought you might appreciate it. I agree: The interviewer is stupid. Take a look at what Linnell says about the meaning of TMBG songs (at least some of them). Interesting. Believe what you want though! [FYI, I believe him. :) ] Save this post for your TMBG file. Love, Ben or Been ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Fri, 21 Apr 95 12:33:39 EDT From: uhhhhhhhhhhhh To: tmbg Subject: linnell interview hi all.. stephanie here.. this is a cute interview with linnell that i read in the newgroups-i will be either at the yale show or at pearl street.. probably not both because i have a psychology test on tues.. weeeell enjoy-love steph aka kumquat Aaron wrote: > > This is an interview as it appeared in Yale's "Rumpus Magainze" with John > L. in October of 1992. > > Rumpus asks TMBG dumb questions... and gets the answers it deserves. > > One torpid August afternoon in a rank basement room of Toad's, a nervous > lanky young man in a mod black T-shirt introduced himself to us as John > Linnell, one of the two Johns that constitute the most wholesome > underground group to come out of New York, They Might Be Giants. The > other John was "Hanging around here somewhere" but remained > misanthropically away, leaving his wan partner alone to confront Rumpus > -- and summarily, himself. He sat noisily in a chair and scooted up to > the beer-stained table, slid his half-inch thick glasses up his nose, and > urged us to begin the interview. > > R: Now, you were in New Haven two years ago. Do you like playing in New > Haven? > > JL: Sure sure. > > R: Or is every club the same to you? JL: Oh no, every place is different.. We've played here a few times, we > also used to play at this other place. It was a teeny place, and it had > something like a, there was some sort of barn or something, with no > stage, or ceiling... > > R: That place is gone. > > > R: Why James K. Polk? > > JL: Well, we were sitting around talking about obscure Presidents in > history, and whether they were actually as unimportant during their own > time. And the name James K. Polk came up, and we looked him up and found > that he was actually a pretty important guy. He started a trumped-up war > with Mexico. He supported Manifest Destiny. Wait, are you Canadian? > (unaccountable altercation (due to poor tape recording) ensues. > Anyway, Polk wanted to do all this stuff. Basically, he was a real bastard. > > > R: Is there an interesting story behind how you and John met? > JL: Not really. > > R: Did you or John ever consider attending Yale? > JL: no, no I didn't. I don't know about John. John's Dad is a trustee at > Cornell, so I think if he'd gone to an Ivy league school at all, it would > have been Cornell. But I don't think he did. He went to about three > different colleges. next week we're playing... where's Dartmouth again? > > > R: Is there anything about New Haven that strikes you? > JL: I don't know it very well. The last time we were here, we walked > around the campus a little bit, because that's where we were, but not too > much. > > R: And what do you think of the campus? > JL: Very pretty. > > R: I was wondering why you are the official band of International Space > Year, and what does space mean to you? > JL: Well, we're not actually the official band or anything, but we were > asked to represent International Space Year when we went to NASA to get a > graphic for the record jacket (Apollo 18). That's how we got picked. > They found out we were in a band and were tourning the world in 1992 and > they asked us if we could help promote International Space Year becaues > it seemed like we had some kind of a space theme on our record. So we > said "Sure!" and basically, it's just meant for us that we say it in our > press kit with a little lgo on the back of th record. But we don't have a > lot of information about it, I don't think most people have heard that > this is International Space Year. > > R: Do you think that the Apollo Moon Landing was a hoax? > JL: No. > > R: So you got both of these graphics from NASA (Poitning to the spaceship > and the sea-scape on the cover) > JL: No, just the spaceship. The other one comes from a book cover. It's > one of those little 50s pulp magazine things that John found in a bookstore. > > R: (pointing to the whale-squid skirmish) Have you ever seen this happen? > JL: No, if you're talking about a hoax, I think that's a hoax right > there. I think there's some sort of implication in that picture that the > squid might win the fight against the whale, but I think what happens is > that the whale eats the squid. > > R: Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the > National Bird? > JL: Yes, I did. I think that's a good idea. I think it's a shame that it > wasn't, because it's really much better. Doesn't it seem like a better > choice? It seems less arrogant. It's more of an American bird. The > original idea of Uncle Sam was a scraggly, ugly guy, and generally, when > we see him now, he's been cleaned up, and he's a handsome old guy. But > the original idea was a crusty Yankee who was sort of scrappy. Really, > the human equivalent to a turkey in a way. The eagle is much more of a > fascist bird. > > R: On the cover of "Lincoln" who are those two guys, who also keep > popping up in your videos? > JL: Have they popped up in our videos? Oh right, there's that one > section. Right. Those are our ancestors. The bearded guy is my > great-grandfather, who was a guy who lived out in Illinois in the middle > of the nineteenth century. And the other guy is Flansburgh's grandfather > whowas a General, actually, and this is going to seem very silly and hard > to believe but his name was Hospital, so his name was General Hospital. > We haven't told anybody because no one would believe it, but that really > was his name. > > ..... > > R: I'm wondering how you deal with the "Very high metabolism rate you have?" > JL: I drink a lot of coffee. > > .... > R: What do you think about the Presidential election? Do you see > yourself, twenty years down the line, writing a song called "George H.W. > Bush?" Will he be an obscure President? > JL: I don't know. The thing is that Polk at least achieved all the things > he set out to do, while Bush is really a political washout. There's > nothing he wants to achieve. > > R: What do you think of Yale's effort to raise $1.5 billion in five years. > JL: How is it going to be raised? > R: From alumni. Yale just takes it from these people. > JL: I think that's great. > R: Could you raise that much money if you performed for five years straight? > JL: 1.5 million > R: Billion. > JL: No. > > R: Would you be interested in teaching a College Seminar here on pop > music, or something of that sort? > JL: I don't know. > > R: Do all of your songs have meaning? > JL: Yes. Some of them suggest things that are elliptic in some way, they > say things indirectly, but they're not nonsense. They're songs that we > feel good enough about to put on the record. > > R: What are the last few books you've read? > JL: You know, I always think I'm going to read more on the road. I > borrowed our drummer's copy of The Arabian Nights because it was > translated by an Arab, it was pretty interesting because he talks at the > beginning, in no uncertain terms, about how his translation blows > everyone else's away. > > R: Would you mind if we were to take a picture of you in a Yale sweatshirt? > JL: Oh, I don't know. I think I'd feel really silly. > > Aaron Craig 1) General Hospital. Oh dear God, poor Flans. 2) When the hell did Linn start wearing thick glasses? Or did Mr. Dumb- ass Interviewer get them mixed up? 3) "WOULD YOU MIND IF WE WERE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF YOU IN A YALE SWEAT- SHIRT"!?!?!?!!!!! What a STOOPId thing to say to the poor guy, who is already fidgeting.Poor Mr.Linnell. 4) Coffee rules. (huh-huh-huh-huh.) mouse > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 10:44 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: quote? (was: DCD) On Thu, 11 Apr, 1996, Rick C. Petty wrote: >On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Hefley, Paula wrote: > >> "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." >> - Tom Waits > >I thought this was a quote from a Dead Can Dance album, but I guess they >quotes from Mr. Waits. I don't really want to start another thread, but >does anybody else out there listen to DCD? Or is it another "closet album?" > actually, i would hasten to say that this is a much older expression than either Dead Can Dance or Tom Waits. anybody got a dictionary of quota- tions out there they can check? -j.l. somebody's reading your mind. damned if you know who it is... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:57:51 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: HELLO INFORMATION This is LONG, LONG LONG overdue.... I apologize in advance, things have been really hectic here at work!!! Following is ALL the info sent to me by the Hello Club. There is more info, but it's kinda long. However, if there's a large request, I'll post it. ENJOY the E-town show!!!! drg *------------------------------------------------------ Hello is run by Marjorie Galen & John Flansburgh A&R Department: Ken Beck & Robin Goldswagger HELLO '95 All new recordings * 10 CD's in all! * Really hard to find in stores! * The perfect gift! * Pretty darn cheap! What is the HELLO CD of the Month Club? *--------------------------------------- John Flansburgh here. Since '93 the Hello CD of the Month Club has been releasing brand new recordings by both established alternative artists and great up and coming musicians. If you want to experience the best of the contemporary music scene, where a healthy range of musical styles are explored, Hello is the place for you. Hello provides recording artists a forum for side projects that a commercial record company might find to left of center to release, as well as a chance for new groups to find a larger audience. Hello does not release demo recordings, lame cover versions, or disingenuous tribute records. For just $46 you'll receive 10 CD ep's this year. Each month a performer creates four or five new recordings exclusively for our Hello subscribers. We mail them out in pairs, starting in '95 in March-April. It's easy to order Hello by leaving your info at 1-800-HELLO-41. Of course, mail orders via check or charge are always welcome at our mailbox in Palisades. Our back catalog of '93 and '94 are also currently available for just $43 apeice. Like K-Tel, Hello is not available in stores. Thanks for the interest. John Flansburgh Hello Co-founder Here's what's coming up Hello '96 *---------------------------------------------------------- - Gordan Gano (of the Violent Femmes) - (The cool) Soul Coughing - John Linnel's House of Mayors (a new theme ep about New York City's Mayors) - (Free range dude & db's drummer) Will Rigby - (C&W Super Lady) Laura Cantrell - Hello BACK TO SCHOOL Special - PLUS three more star-studded discs inluding a special premium for Hello subscribers.....the FULL LENGTH ALBUM debut of JOHN FLANSBURGH'S MONO PUFF Order at 1-800-HELLO-41 '96 subscription is only $47 for ten CD ep's. $6 for t-shirt. Hello CD of the Month Club, PO Box 551, Palisades, NY 10964 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 11:07 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: me at e-town! ok, well, if anyone wants to find me at the elizabethtown show tonight, we'll hopefully be arriving before 7:30. i'll be wearing the Dial-A- Song t-shirt (with the birdy and the tree and the phone on the front), and jeans and sneaks. i'll be with a group of 8 other people, two of which will look remarkably alike (my husband and his sister). i'll be looking harried, after shepherding all those people around all day while the clock ticks in my head (you'll be late! you'll be late! you'll be late!) see you all there! i'll keep an eye out for neon signs, blue ribbons, and etc. :) -j.l. you cover your windows with lead, even keeping the pets outside... ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 09:17:28 MDT Subject: RE: one-eyed man is king Microsoft Bookshelf dreged up this reference, which claims that the quote comes from the works of Machiavelli. I have a CD-ROM at home with one of his books. Literature, 1766 ~ Nonfiction Confessions by Jean Jacques Rousseau paraphrases Machiavelli with the line, "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are kings"; "It is not hard to confess our criminal acts, but our ridiculous and shameful acts," writes Rousseau. The People's Chronology is licensed from Henry Holt and Company, Inc. Copyright ) 1992 by James Trager. All rights reserved ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 11:21:46 -0400 Subject: A bit more Edison info. An addendum to the information about the Wax Cylinder Recording Session that I posted last night: There is a $2.00 admission fee (cheap at 10 times the price!) Each session is 45 minutes to an hour. They are very nice down there at the Edison Museum. I and my posse will be at the 12:30 session. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:01:15 -0600 Subject: Re: the glory of caffeine. >On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, The Big Blue Dog wrote: >> Okay, but you can only drink so much coffee. I like Mt. Dew, and JOLT!! >> because I enjoy carbonated drinks more than anything in the world. >Jolt is a total myth, a marketing scam. They claim to have "twice the >caffeine" of regular carbonated drinks, but in reality that doesn't make any >difference at all. Regular cola drinks have roughly 50 mg of caffeine in >them, so this makes Jolt in the 100 mg range. You would have to drink two >jolts just to get the caffeine of one regular cup of coffee. (which >contains 200 mg) That's about four times as much liquid. Any caffeine >buzz one may get from Jolt is purely psychological. But it does taste >good though. UNTRUTH!!! Though well documented that caffeine does nothing intrinsically in its first small initial offering, after a while, we all know that the mind and body develop an "addiction". What this does is make a need for stimulus only satisfied by caffeine. In simpler words, Once you take in some caffeine, it chemically causes you to have less energy, and when you get more in you, it restores that missing energy. "It is impossible to quit Coffee"-TMBG (There's my relevance) It _Is_ impossible to quit caffeine. -Rabid Child ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 11:12:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Adam Procter Subject: Re: old list stuff At 10:07 PM 4/11/96 -0500, you wrote: >In the immortal words of Tara Lynne Weber: > >>You know, I've been wondering--are any of you familiar with the >>Myers-Briggs personality type classification thing? If anybody's taken > >Yup. I'm an INFJ. My brother (who is also a big TMBG fan) is INFP. > >-CB > I think I'm an INFP, but I've never taken the "real" test... just some different version... (In which I actually scored a 0 on extraversion or whatever the word for it is... whoa. :-)) -- Adam Procter aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4386/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 17:25:42 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Linnell interview (fwd) On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > 2) When the hell did Linn start wearing thick glasses? Or did Mr. Dumb- > ass Interviewer get them mixed up? I remember when this was first posted on the newsgroup someone mentioned that. Anyway, someone else said (I think it was Myke Weiskopf) that they both wear glasses, but that Linnell doesn't wear them on stage. Can anyone else confirm this? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 12:46:15 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Linnell interview (fwd) > On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > > > 2) When the hell did Linn start wearing thick glasses? Or did Mr. Dumb- > > ass Interviewer get them mixed up? > > I remember when this was first posted on the newsgroup someone > mentioned that. Anyway, someone else said (I think it was Myke Weiskopf) > that they both wear glasses, but that Linnell doesn't wear them on stage. > Can anyone else confirm this? 'tis true. When they were on Much Music the camera swong back and forth really quick and it show Linnell with glasses. Big thich glasses. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 09:13:03 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Tom Waits quote OK, everybody, I CONFESS. Tom Waits ripped off the "In the land of the blind" quote from Michael Apostolius' 15th Century Proverbs. BTW, it was also the title of an H.G. Wells short story. So, you see, there really is nothing new under the sun. The secret lies in how you reheat the leftovers. SuzyB. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:09:17 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Linnell interview (fwd) > I remember when this was first posted on the newsgroup someone >mentioned that. Anyway, someone else said (I think it was Myke Weiskopf) >that they both wear glasses, but that Linnell doesn't wear them on stage. >Can anyone else confirm this? Yes, I have seen them both wear glasses. Linnell usually wears contacts. -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:14:02 -0400 Subject: Re: Linnell interview (fwd) >they both wear glasses, but that Linnell doesn't wear them on stage. >Can anyone else confirm this? At the Mercury Lounge shows, one waited in the bar area before going into the actual performance area... So, if you were up at the front of this bar line, you could look through the curtains on the doors seperating the two areas and see THeM practicing/sound checking... And you could also see that Linnell was wearing glasses, too. Love, Brooks, who wears contacts because she hates wearing her glasses. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 11:47:34 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: another thing? > The picture reminds me of a children's book >called "The Pokey Little Puppy". Is this where the picture is from? >Thanks >Karen Crawford I just met a new person who likes TMBG and I told her about the list, and she liked so many of the things on it so I sent her a copy. She also mentioned that her friends who are the same way liked the book mentioned above... Here we go again....... Ana Ng P.S. Keep voting. The results will now be out on the 15th. As usual, if you need a copy of the list of stuff to vote on mail me. :) Have Fun! Ana Ng (again) :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:59:05 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: HELLO's '94 discography "Hello" again. Following is '94's discography..... That means that '95`s is soon to follow.......... Enjoy!!!!!! drg `94 Discography --------------- Portastatic (MAC from Superchunk) --------------------- A big slab of inspired lo-fi from the mind of one of today's most critically acclaimed artists. Peter Stampfel -------------- Founding member of the seminal '60's band The Holy Modal Rounders, Stampfel is joined here by New York avante-garde guitarist Elliote Sharpe. Includes the intriguing ballad of "Laura The Horse". The Minus Five (Scott from The Young Fresh Fellows with Peter Buck from REM and Tom & Terry of NRBQ) ------------------------ Worlds collided. See '93 for description Drink Me -------- Voyage into the nocturnal with New York's quietest duo. This special disc entitled "NYC" is a song-cycle about the late night world they call home. John Linnell of They Might Be Giants ----------------------- More than just anthems, these five selections from his "State Songs" project are views thru Linnell's unique musical kaleidoscope. Slections include "South Carolina", "Oregon", "Pennsylvania", "Maine", and "Nevada". Spanish Fly ----------- A new kind of power trio from New York's downtown scene. Spanish Fly features tuba powerhouse Marcus Rojas, Lounge Lizard musical director and TMBG survivor Steven Bernstein on trumpet, and slide guitar master Dave Tronzo. Produced by Hal Wilner. Andy Partridge of XTC --------------------- A superior effort from one of the biggest talents around, XTC's capable songsmith goes "Hello" with four brand new recordings including 2 great songs from the unreleased "Bubble Gum Album". Brian Dewan ----------- Hello's debut artist in '93 is back by popular demand. On this disc Brian steps out in an electronic setting. Includes "Happy-Go-Dumpy Summer". The Jickets ----------- Hello's one archival disc ia a release of rare recordings of a singular band from the Lower East Side scene of the mid-eighties. The Jickets' shared many bills with the then formative They Might Be Giants. More than bohemian, The Jickets' are a way of life, a lighthouse for the spiritually adrfit. Includes "Jicket Island". Produced by Bill Krauss. Chaz and the Motorbikes ----------------------- They are a new band out of Boston. Chaz Chestermans old band was Scruffy the Cat. This combo shines on four plaintive pop songs, including "Jackhammers". ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:29:59 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: MORE HELLO INFORMATION Due to unpopular demand, following is the back catalog of the Hello CD of the Month Club. Please note that the information provided after the artist(s) is not made up by me, but, information that came along with the Hello Club information packet. Discography's of the years '94 and '95 will follow sometime soon....... drg '93 Discography --------------- Frank Black ----------- Frank previewed his "Teenager of the Year" album with this disc. Early Dylanesque versions of "Sir Rockabye" and "Calistan" are quite different from their final recorded incarnations. Also includes his cover of :Duke of Earl." Indispensable. Duplex Planet ------------- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL - An adveture into the spoken word with oral historian David Greenberger. The Duplex Nursing Home residents' haunted memories are the subject for this special Halloween program. Brian Dewan ----------- The pride of Lexington, Massachussetts, Brian Dewan performs an electric zither he designed and built himself. He infuses elements of traditional music with his own riveting personal style. Includes "Obedience School". The Residents ------------- The legendary mysterians from San Francisco deliver their special shade of disembodied orb-rock for this Hello offering entitled "Prelude to the Teds". This unseen groups' stark and startling electronic sound has influenced many of today's bands. Hello The Band - WRITTEN AND PRODUCED BY JOHN FLANSBURGH W/ JOSHUA FRIED *------------------------------------------------------- Hello is a Brooklyn-Berlin alliance of Fried and Rave producer/DJ Ralf Conant. A wild fusion of Rock and dance-floor styles. Icludes a haunting cover of Gary Glitters "Hello Hello." Scott McCaughey's THE MINUS FIVE w/ Peter Buck from REM and Tom and Terry from NRBQ *--------------------------------------------------- None dare call it a supergroup. Young Fresh Fellow leader Scott has created some of the best "cheer up loser" anthems for the 90's. Includes "Loser So Supreme" (Also available in '94 subscription) Eugene Chadbourne ----------------- Total entertainer/guitar wildman and North Carolina native, Chadbourne was a founding member of Shockabilly, recorded with Camper Van Beethoven and has recently toured with Mothers of Invention alumnus, Jimmie Carl Black. On his Hello disc he offers up two mind-bending medley's and three original compositions including the strangely beautiful "Dreamt I Was Young Again". Band of Weeds ------------- Ex-Ordinaire leader Kurt Hoffman has put together a nine-piece acoustic combo with some of the best players around. This disc offers unique compositions and swinging arrangements. The Nelories ------------ Two young Japanese women, Jun and Kazmi de Nelorie are amoung the best of that countries emerging Indie Rock scene. This is their U.S. debut. Great lyrics. Flat Old World -------------- The largest and slowest band in Manhattan. This disc previews the 7-piece groups' full length LP "Musicale" along with a stirring version of the morbid folk song "Who Killed Poor Robin." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:03:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Ignore my brother.... On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, The Vonnegut Vassal wrote: > Those people who listen to Alanis have every right to listen to her, > and she has every right to exist...and we have every right to HATE her. > That is, unfortunately, true. BUT (isn't there always a but?) that doesn't mean that these people have the right to come onto a TMBG list and tell us to hold it down so that he can hear the chick that he's had a crush on since she was on You Can't Do That On Television. That's wrong. He should be green slimed for that. He has a right to express his opinion, but you don't go into a place of worship for a religion other than yours and say, "Excuse me, but would you mind not praying so loudly? My god is a lot better than yours, and I'm trying to respect him outside." You don't go into a biker bar and loudly exercize your Constitutional Right to express that you believe that only men insecure about their genital size need to hide behind Harleys. It's just not done. Therefore, I believe that we are entitled to say what we want about him, especially since we have his brother's consent. Now that I've stated that, I would like to say that Alanis does have a pretty voice, but not when she's trying to sing all "Alternative" like she is: "Caa-Iye-gaa one hann in mihye pock-ehd, an' thee otha on's play-hin a pee-haan-oh!" Well, teach it how to play an accordian. They sound a lot cooler. To all going to E-town: enjoy yourselves immensely! I wish I was there, but I'm destined for Albany this weekend. Well, at least it's better than being stuck in Mahwah again. --Jack http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ps Brain Candy isn't playing anywhere near me! Except for NYC. What's with this? I NEED to see this movie! I live in an area of the country that has at least one movie theatre per square mile, along with a mall and a diner, and It's not playing in ANY of them? This ain't right! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:21:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: HELLO INFORMATION wow, you guys know what, I called that 800 number and Flansburgh was on the answering machine! Kinda cool, huh. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:21:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: "Everything you know is wrong" I haven't heard it, but I've heard all about it. I think he also says "my evil twin" in the song. It's definitely one of the songs that he does where he just writes in the style of a different artist instead of parodying a specific song. I've heard that he's They fan. You know what they say: "birds of a feather play accordians together. --Hooked On Polkas ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:40:14 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 >> Has anyone listened to "Everything you know is wrong" by Weird Al >> Yankovic on his new album, Bad Hair Day? It sounds JUST LIKE a TMBG song >> the way that the music and tempo and stuff is. And he actually started >> to sound like one of the Johns...And he uses a lot of stuff from tmbg >> songs, like "rabid" and "jacket" and lots of other things that relate to >> many different TMBG songs. Plus the bizarreness of the lyrics. Oh yeah, >> he used "prosthetic" too. How many other artists use that word?! I knew about the lyrical references before I heard EYKIW, but I was surprised by how many musical refs there are. In the bridge alone I heard distinct echos of "Purple Toupee," "Shoehorn With Teeth" and "Hideaway Folk Family." I thought that was pretty cool. Kay ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:39:41 -0400 ng a path for the future. All TMBG fans will >>eventually end up working for universities, and we will be able to >>infiltrate the minds of the young, influencing and changing the ways of >>education throughout the universe! Well, I'm a freshman English prof who is currently thinking up ways to use TMBG songs in a lesson or two. I think "I Palindrome I" could lead into a great creative exercise. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:23:02 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Blind >X-Sender: 3iu4tob@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu >Mime-Version: 1.0 >Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:41:06 -0100 >To: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu >From: Robert.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Robert A. Chaffer) >Subject: Blind > >One complete reference is: > >H.G. Wells, The Country of the Blind and Other Stories [1911, 1947] [C] > >Robert A. Chaffer Voice: (517)-774-3544 >Dept. of Mathematics Internet:Robert.Chaffer@cmich.edu >Central Michigan University Bitnet: 3iu4tob@cmuvm.bitnet >Mount Pleasant, MI 48859 "In the country of the blind, > the one-eyed man is king." > -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:35:18 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: HELLO Order Form and '95 Discography The following was mentioned as "soon to be released CD`s", so it may differ from what was officially released from last year.....Also following is the ORDER FORM ALONG WITH PRICES of each year, etc. Enjoy!!!! drg `95 Discography --------------- Freedy Johnston --------------- His distinctive voice and strong song writing skills make him one of the brightest new talents on the horizon. The Kansas-born singer-songwriting Freedy Johnston is following up his "This Perfect World" and "Can You Fly" albums with four new songs. John Flansburgh's Mono Puff --------------------------- March's selection is from Hello co-founder John Flansburgh. His new side project is home recording at its very puffiest. Tracks will includes (sic) the 35-second "Nixon's the One", a full length number called "What Bothers the Spaceman" (about Red Sox legend Bill Lee) and the a cappella "So Long Mockingbird". Frightwig --------- Although these three women formed Frightwig in the mid-eighties, they are now only getting the recognition they deserve. Pre-dating the trends that they came to define, these third-wave feminist rockers from San Francisco are truly original. Produced by Eric Drew Feldman. The Coctails ------------ Out of Chicago, the Coctails are one of the more versatile pop combos on the scene. Their music spans swanky vibraphone-led coctail jazz to driving rock. " I just let that Coctals tape roll around and around." Frank Black The Dambuilders --------------- Although this band came out of Boston, two members grew up in Hawaii and speak Japanese. A Japanese-English simulcast disc, with each language represented by one channel of the stereo recording is just one possibility under consideration for thei Hello project. Whatever it is, it will be noteworthy. PLUS 5 other cool things!! OUR EASY ORDER FORM '95 Membership $46 *------------------------------------------- '95 Mmbership (ten CD's) plus Hello t-shirt $52 *------------------------------------------- '94 Catalog (ten CD's, no shirt) $43 *------------------------------------------- '94 Catalog (ten CD's) plus Hello t-shirt $49 *------------------------------------------- '93 Catalog (ten CD's, no shirt) $43 *------------------------------------------- '93 Catalog (ten CD's) plus Hello t-shirt $49 *------------------------------------------- MONSTER PACK ('93, '94, '95 ONLY) $120 *------------------------------------------- Just the Hello T-Shirt $16 *------------------------------------------- Please Make Checks Payable to HELLO. Send to Hello, PO Box 551, Palisades, NY 10964 *------------------------------------------- OUTSIDE OF US PLEASE ADD $12 for shipping & hassles. *------------------------------------------ NEW YORK RESIDENTS: Orders shipped to New York State addresses MUST pay NYS sales Tax of 8.25%. $16 = $17.31 $43 = $46.55 $46 = $49.80 $49 = $54.77 $52 = $58.31 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:42:28 -0500 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING NEW MUSIC BY FLANSBURGH AND LINNELL ................................................................................ HELLO, I am writing because I just got this year's HELLO CD OF THE MONTH CLUB catalog. Anyway, it is totally cool, and I had to write to show you some of what is offered this year by HELLO. I will quote it exactly: 5/96 J. FLANSBURGH's MONO PUFF full length preview disc Yes, the May issue of Hello is a special pre-commercial release version of John Flansburgh's MONO PUFF "Unsupervised" full length Ryko CD slated to arrive in record stores this summer. From rave ups like "Devil Went to Newport", and "Guitar Was the Case" to the ballads "Don't Break the Heart" and "Don't I Have the Right?" to electronic experiments like "To Serve Mankind" and "Hello, Hello," this Ip is as strong as it is suprising. Joining Flansy on the album are the Candy Butchers' Mike Viola on lead guitar, bassist Hal Cragin from Iggy Pop's band and Steve Calhoon from Skeleton Key on drums. Includes autographed lyric booklet. They Might Be Giants' JOHN LINNELL Linnell's new project for Hello is called "house of Mayors," and it incorporates songs written about New York City Mayors and songs written by New York City Mayors. Hello Family BACK TO SCHOOL SPECIAL Emboldened by our Christmas disc success, we're embarking on another variety pack, this time with a "Back to School" theme. -So there you have it! A huge release from Flansburgh. A new project from Linnell, and a concept album which is sure to include something from at least one of Them. It all makes me wonder: 1. Is Flansburgh gonna turn most of his energy toward his solo projects instead of TMBG? 2. Will Linnell ever write the other States' Songs? 3. Did Flansburgh start up Mono Puff as a means for releasing his lesser-known Dial-a-Song projects? 4. Will the Hello version of the Mono Puff CD be different from the one which will be released to the public this summer? 5. Will Linnell start releasing solo albums in stores too? 6. Has Flansburgh scrapped the "Hello The Band" project? 7. Will THE HELLO CD OF THE MONTH CLUB become inundated with subscriptions, now that Flansburgh's CD will be autographed? -So, what do you think? Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 20:46:06 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Brian Dewan On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > Due to unpopular demand, following is the back > catalog of the Hello CD of the Month Club. > Brian Dewan > ----------- > > The pride of Lexington, Massachussetts, Brian Dewan performs an > electric zither he designed and built himself. He infuses elements > of traditional music with his own riveting personal style. > Includes "Obedience School". Hang on a sec. When I saw TMBG in London last time they were here, they had two supports. The second was The Waltons. The first was some bloke who wandered on stage on his own, sat down near the front and started playing what looked like a souped-up washboard but sounded elctronic. Is this Brian Dewan, by any chance? I'd always assumed that it was some roady replacing a support band that had fallen through. I don't remember himbeing very 'riveting', though. In fact, as I recall, I was quite bored of him and was glad when he left the stage. So was it Brian Dewan? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 20:57:48 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Ignore my brother.... On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, The Vonnegut Vassal wrote: > > > Those people who listen to Alanis have every right to listen to her, > > and she has every right to exist...and we have every right to HATE her. > You don't go into a biker bar and loudly exercize your > Constitutional Right to express that you believe that only men insecure > about their genital size need to hide behind Harleys. It's just not done. > Therefore, I believe that we are entitled to say what we want about him, > especially since we have his brother's consent. Just because it's not a very smart thing to slag off bikers doesn't make it okay for them to beat you up. In the same way him saying he doesn't like TMBG doesn't necessarily justify sending him hate mail. Just be cool and ignore him. He's only trying to provoke a response to get attention - don't play into his hands. Simply delete his mail. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 16:16:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: linnell clone (fwd) this girl never ceases her quest for Linnell lookalikes. :) Amanda ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:20:08 -0400 From: TMBrieG@aol.com To: afn37647@afn.org Subject: linnell clone You'll never believe what happened to me today!! in band we had a guest. it was this guy selling c.d. yearbooks and you'll never guess what! HE LOOKED LIKE JOHN LINNELL!!! he even talked and acted like him! i was tempted to go up and ask him "hey, do you know who they might be giants are?" but i didn't in fear of sounding like little groupie girl Malena. it was so cool though. all i could do that whole period was stare! ahhh.... well, i better go. maybe you should tell your list buddies about this! Brie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:20:19 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: HELLO's '94 discography cool... my dad was in the holey model rounders! On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > Founding member of the seminal '60's band The Holy Modal > Rounders, Stampfel is joined here by New York avante-garde > guitarist Elliote Sharpe. Includes the intriguing ballad > of "Laura The Horse". > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:37:51 -0700 (PDT) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: Re: Linnell interview (fwd) On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > I remember when this was first posted on the newsgroup someone > mentioned that. Anyway, someone else said (I think it was Myke Weiskopf) > that they both wear glasses, but that Linnell doesn't wear them on stage. > Can anyone else confirm this? > > In an interview from several years ago, reprinted in one of the newsletters, it talked about how Linnell wore glasses, and so everyone (or at least Flans) used to call him the Professor. The interview actually referred to him as "the Professor" for a while. Jason Weiner * "Ask him why? How sentimental. Stanford University * I say give him problems dental." discord@leland.stanford.edu * Lieutenant Worf, as written by Dr. Seuss ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 16:08:17 -0600 (MDT) From: Joyce Frost Subject: does anyone have a clue... this may be a silly question, but does anyone know if THEY will be touring down west towards the lowly old SW soon...I have gotten the feeling from a few people THEY will because of the release of the new album, but I would like some kinda idea if this whole concept is just another figment of my mind. YOu see I had this dream the other night that my parents went to a wedding reception that THEY played at, and left me alone driving around in my jeep with half of it missing...weird, esp. since I dont live with my parents, and my jeep is whole. Needless to say it was very depressing that I miss THEIR appearances even in my dreams. -Joyce Joyce Frost the psychotic poet crazed by Dandelions... frostjo@Math.Enmu.edu "My room is comfortably small with rubber lining the walls, and there's someone always calling my name. He calls when I'm alone. He calls when I'm not home and he calls when I'm left out in the rain. I'm insane..." -TheyMightBeGiants "Existance is futile..." -Joyce Frost ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Brain Candy Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 18:16:03 18000 Well... as the message implies, I went to the premiere of Brain Candy in my town at 3:15 p.m. today, and just got back (no ride) So of course, I immediately got on to talk about it. It was great! It had good music throughout, although I personally haven't heard Spiralling Shape, so I couldn't pick it out. My guess it that it was the song at the very beginning and end going kind of "Ba ba ba ba ba ba"-y. I mean, that's what they were sayin. Is Spiralling Shape anything like that? It was at least two people singing, and it vaguely sounded feminine. Sorry. Also, the movie was really well stylized and had good digital effects, both graphically and soundwise. GO SEE IT. It'll make you feel like it's 72 degrees in your head every lovin time. -Tom Hare (Don Roritor) -- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 17:21:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 On Fri, 12 Apr 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > >> Has anyone listened to "Everything you know is wrong" by Weird Al > >> Yankovic on his new album, Bad Hair Day? It sounds JUST LIKE a TMBG song > >> the way that the music and tempo and stuff is. And he actually started > >> to sound like one of the Johns...And he uses a lot of stuff from tmbg > >> songs, like "rabid" and "jacket" and lots of other things that relate to > >> many different TMBG songs. Plus the bizarreness of the lyrics. Oh yeah, > >> he used "prosthetic" too. How many other artists use that word?! > > I knew about the lyrical references before I heard EYKIW, but I was surprised > by how many musical refs there are. In the bridge alone I heard distinct > echos of "Purple Toupee," "Shoehorn With Teeth" and "Hideaway Folk Family." > I thought that was pretty cool. > > Kay There's also a part where he plays the bari sax (?) for a short solo that's tmbgish > *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 18:30:48 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: old list stuff > You know, I've been wondering--are any of you familiar with the > Myers-Briggs personality type classification thing? If anybody's taken > it and just can't remember it by name, it's the one where you're > classified as an ENFP, ISTJ, etc. I'm curious as to whether or not a > certain type tends to predominate among TMBG fans. I'm an INFP. How > about anybody else? i, in a way, swear by that test! It is really quite an accurate yet broad form of personality typing, and it can really give clues into people's personalities... i myself am an INTJ (not many J's on the list, are there?)...and it's odd...my sister in an INFP...funny, i seem to know a lot of those, even though it's less common...heh, guess i just move in those circles...hehe. well, thought i'd let you all know... --Fran AKA the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 18:54:45 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: Linnell interview (fwd) At 05:25 PM 4/12/96 +0100, you wrote: > > >On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > >> 2) When the hell did Linn start wearing thick glasses? Or did Mr. Dumb- >> ass Interviewer get them mixed up? > > I remember when this was first posted on the newsgroup someone >mentioned that. Anyway, someone else said (I think it was Myke Weiskopf) >that they both wear glasses, but that Linnell doesn't wear them on stage. >Can anyone else confirm this? Well, in one of the messages I remember from alt.music.tmbg, a subway sighting of Linnell by a New York fan, Linnell had a Young Fresh Fellows T-Shirt, and thick black glasses. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Never trust a politician who feels your pain --Me, I wrote that. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: old list stuff Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 19:04:28 18000 About myers-briggs... I took it in my gifted studies class with the class, and i'm an INTP... Someone was commenting on the lack of INFP's around, and there was only one in my class, but he is the guy I most respect (although he may not know it) He's a big John Waters/Rocky Horror fan, who is training to be an AIDS hotline consultant (although I'm sure none on the list are interested) -- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:02:41 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: old list stuff At 06:30 PM 4/12/96 -0400, you wrote: >i myself am an INTJ (not many J's on the list, are there?)...and it's >odd...my sister in an INFP...funny, i seem to know a lot of those, even >though it's less common...heh, guess i just move in those circles...hehe. ObAOL: Me Too! I'm also an INTJ. But I probably don't post enough to get an accurate profile, except for the introvert part. BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Never trust a politician who feels your pain --Me, I wrote that. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:07:45 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-103 At 02:40 PM 4/12/96 -0400, you wrote: >>> Has anyone listened to "Everything you know is wrong" by Weird Al >>> Yankovic on his new album, Bad Hair Day? It sounds JUST LIKE a TMBG song >>> the way that the music and tempo and stuff is. And he actually started >>> to sound like one of the Johns...And he uses a lot of stuff from tmbg >>> songs, like "rabid" and "jacket" and lots of other things that relate to >>> many different TMBG songs. Plus the bizarreness of the lyrics. Oh yeah, >>> he used "prosthetic" too. How many other artists use that word?! > >I knew about the lyrical references before I heard EYKIW, but I was surprised >by how many musical refs there are. In the bridge alone I heard distinct >echos of "Purple Toupee," "Shoehorn With Teeth" and "Hideaway Folk Family." > I thought that was pretty cool. Everything You Know is Wrong was blatently TMBG-ish, but he overdid it. The song on that album that I could see THEY doing is "I Remember Larry." One of my favorite Al songs already. Very TMBG-ish, but not so much that it's irritating. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: Never trust a politician who feels your pain --Me, I wrote that. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:20:05 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: meyers-briggs stuff interesting... i haven't heard of a single "S" type yet, on this list... (sensate as opposed to iNtuitive)... could it be that those of us who love TMBG are mostly intuitors...? it makes sense, in a way... :) see you all later...have fun, those of you who are peobably IN e-town by now! *jealous* love, Fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:19:45 -0400 Subject: Re: "Everything you know is wrong" Al said this song was a "style paordy" of TMBG, which is a resemblance in style, but not a takeoff on a particular song. -Young Hickory Napoleon ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:49:29 -0400 Subject: Web Pagemaker Does anyone who has made his or her own web page know of a good page maker for Mac? (this will, eventually, ne of relevance to this list) -Young Hickory Napoleon ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 17:48:36 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: Re: Web Pagemaker LtAldus@aol.com wrote: > > Does anyone who has made his or her own web page know of a good page maker > for Mac? (this will, eventually, ne of relevance to this list) > > -Young Hickory Napoleon There is no such thing. At my work we tried to goof around with Pagemill, and the like but they discovered that they needed something that could do everything, something that never became obsolete, something that was unable to spell, something sexy: me. Seriously though, if you want a good looking page with those nice new features your going to have to break down and learn HTML. It's not that hard anyway, and the finished product is 32 times better. -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 21:18:01 -0400 From: Bob Bird Subject: Re: old list stuff At 06:30 PM 4/12/96 -0400, you wrote: >i myself am an INTJ (not many J's on the list, are there?)...and it's >odd...my sister in an INFP...funny, i seem to know a lot of those, even >though it's less common...heh, guess i just move in those circles...hehe. Hey, me too! And so are all my friends. I was getting a little insecure after seeing all these P's on the list... Bob -- (c)1995 Robert Bird rbird@utk.edu http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering These views are not the views of the University of Tennessee, a fact which should be blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 21:32:30 -0400 04-12 21:22:07 EDT, somebody wrote: >>i myself am an INTJ (not many J's on the list, are there?)...and it's >>odd...my sister in an INFP...funny, i seem to know a lot of those, even >>though it's less common...heh, guess i just move in those circles...hehe. could somebody who is some sort of charlatan on this subject please give me their big more-than-you'd-ever-want-to-know description of this big thingy psycho (er, logy) test thing? Then I can be a charlatan too! (they really shouldn't allow people to actually use vocab words) ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Blagh Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 21:43:16 18000 Just a quick question guys.... what is the fourth line of the intermediate verse of "Maine?" (in your opinion) I will mark with dashes the questioned portion I love you anyway (I love you anyway) I promise there's no other state (there's no other state) But only if you stay away (But only if you leave) --------And leave me to my ????? ---------------------------- Sounds like "Toddler stick" to me... and the lyrics at the web site are most definitely wrong, it sounds nothing like "leave my family out of this" Okay I love you, bye bye -- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 21:46:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Myers-Briggs I just have one thing to say about these 4-letter personality types - what the heck? Please tell the rest of us about it..... 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 22:34:20 CST From: WORRIES ARE A WASTE OF MY TIME unsubcribe tmbg-list ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 01:15:21 -0400 04-12 21:22:07 EDT, somebody wrote: >>i myself am an INTJ (not many J's on the list, are there?)...and it's >>odd...my sister in an INFP...funny, i seem to know a lot of those, even >>though it's less common...heh, guess i just move in those circles...hehe. could somebody who is some sort of charlatan on this subject please give me their big more-than-you'd-ever-want-to-know description of this big thingy psycho (er, logy) test thing? Then I can be a charlatan too! (they really shouldn't allow people to actually use vocab words) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-104 ******************************