Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-105 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 105 Sunday, 14 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: old list stuff They Might Have Characteristics? Personality test Re: Personality Test E town Myers-Briggs Personality Typing Re: Web Pagemaker Myers-Briggs, Linnell's glasses, etc. :D e-town show. Re: Myers-Briggs, Linnell's glasses, etc. Re: Personality Test Re: E town scranton and bananas!!! Re: Personality Test myers-briggs dookie Re: They Might Have Characteristics? Re: Personality Test Re: Personality Test http://sunsite.unc.edu/jembin/mba.pl Re: Personality Test E-town Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing Re: Personality Test tmbg.org Etown rocked pretty good e-town fest AT??? E-town: Flans' shirt Meyers-Briggs Re: e-town show. i've got an idea. Personality test Horns? Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing -- INTP E-Town Concert & Stuff! contribution to myers-briggs Meyers Briggs test Remember the Shane Markle Incedent? last thing about meyers They Might Have Characteristics? myers-briggs dookie Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 11:58:42 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: old list stuff On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > About myers-briggs... I took it in my gifted studies class Ooooh. Does that mean you're really clever? Or do you just take lessons in giving presents? And what do all these CSFW RHUA AICN PTKK things mean anyway? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 10:08:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: They Might Have Characteristics? Ben or Been here. Um, what is each John's most defining physical characteristic? For Flansy, I say: His glasses--I don't know whether I'd know who he was if he had them off. For Linnell, I say: His throat--He resembles a frog in some way to me, so when I see pictures of him, I think Glottal Glottal Glottal. What do you guys notice the most in each John? Curious, George--er, NO!, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 10:27:21 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Personality test I checked my "type" and it is INFP. If you are curious about yours, and have the capabilities of telnet, telnet to chrysalis.org There, be a new user and all, and then go to the Connex. When you fill out the info, it will tell you what you are.... Laterz.. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 12:45:06 -0400 Subject: Re: Personality Test You can also find this famed Personality Test at http://sunsite.unc.edu:80/jembin/mb.pl Love, Brooks, who just found out that she is an ENFP, although she thinks that about 3 years ago, she probably would have been an INFP. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 12:51:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: E town Hi everybody. I'm writing from Cortney's computer in Scranton PA just to say stay tuned for more about the E-town show, where I got to meet a lot of great Listers and see a great show. More to some. Thanks all for being so nice. Mike. Since I am not home and do not have the book in front of me, no excerpts from There's Adventure In Atomic Energy today. Sorry. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 13:13:31 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing Alright, I'm game. I'm starting a survey. If you know your Myers-Briggs personality type, send it to . I'll tabulate the results and post them to the list. Don't send your type to the list, send it to me. If you don't know your type, or don't know what the heck we're talking about, there are several places on the 'net you can go to take the test. Some of the best I've seen are at: http://sunsite.unc.edu/personality/keirsey.html http://www.gse.rmit.edu.au/~rsedc/keirsey.html Take the test. Send me the results. Wait for the post to the list. Be happy. -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 13:35:54 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Web Pagemaker >> Does anyone who has made his or her own web page know of a good page maker >> for Mac? (this will, eventually, ne of relevance to this list) > Seriously though, if you want a good looking page with those >nice new features your going to have to break down and learn HTML. It's >not that hard anyway, and the finished product is 32 times better. I agree. It's simply not worth it to use an automated page generator. HTML is not too difficult to learn if you view the sources of pages you like. These are the (free) tools I use on my Mac for the unofficial TMBG site: * BBEdit Lite, the best and fastest text editor for the Mac. http://www.barebones.com/ * Transparency, for creating transparent GIFs. * GIFConverter, for creating interlaced GIFs. * GIFBuilder, for making animated GIFs. * Fetch 3.0, for FTP. http://www.dartmouth.edu/pages/softdev/fetch.html * Adobe PhotoShop (not free, of course) for image editing. http://www.adobe.com/ * Eudora, for handling the 100+ messages a day I get from the list and from people commenting on interps/links/chords at the website or submitting forms. http://www.qualcomm.com/ Sorry about the minimal relevance to the list, but perhaps this will help to increase the availability of TMBG web content. -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 12:35:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Myers-Briggs, Linnell's glasses, etc. The one annoying thing about being on the digest is that it's hard to reply to specific things without having to delete a ton of other stuff...does anybody out there know of a good way to do this in Pine? Anyway... To the person who noted that there seem to be a lot of N-personalities as opposed to S's on this list--I'd have to agree that TMBG music seems like a very N sort of thing to appreciate. The Johns have both gotta be N's, I bet. :) Come to think of it, all my friends who like TMBG are N's, I think...I'm an INFP, my friends are INFJ, ENFP, plus a couple more INFPs. I seem to have more friends who are the rarer types than the more common ones. My boyfriend's an INTJ, though, and he can't stand Them. Yet I put up with the silly boy anyway. :) And for the people who want to know more about this Myers-Briggs thing, there is a Web page where you can take the test and read about the 16 personality types, etc. I can't remember the URL, but if you use Yahoo or Webcrawler or something you can search for it. That's how I found it. There are also a bunch of books on the subject. Someone said something about an interview in which Flans said something about referring to Linnell as "The Professor" because of the glasses (that was a pretty crappy sentence).I was at one of the Mercury Lounge shows where, during the band intros, Flans said something like "Some call him the Professor..." when he introduced Linnell. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, though. I don't know. Well, have a lovely day, everyone. Have fun at the E-town show. I'll think of you all as I slave and toil over my Shakespeare paper today. --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 14:15:57 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: :D well, i may not know what INJF means, but i do know that IMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 14:22:09 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: e-town show. well, on the good graces of Matt James (G-D bless him) and company, i was able to get to the e-town show. it was kinda short, but THEY gave a great performance. (for $8 you get half a concert. what do you expect?) my favorite out of the new songs was "XTC vs Adam Ant" (i really loved it) but they didn't play Spiralling shape, or at least i don't know. we got there about 20 minutes late, we got lost, and they didn't have any opening band, so we missed the first 20 minutes "they never start on time" -me. but when Flans brought out the radio, he flipped around till he got to this Bon Jovi song and THEY did this really cool rendition of it (and the crowd went wild) feeling groovy, daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 13:30:42 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs, Linnell's glasses, etc. On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > To the person who noted that there seem to be a lot of N-personalities as > opposed to S's on this list--I'd have to agree that TMBG music seems like > a very N sort of thing to appreciate. The Johns have both gotta be N's, > I bet. :) Come to think of it, all my friends who like TMBG are N's, I > think...I'm an INFP, my friends are INFJ, ENFP, plus a couple more > INFPs. I seem to have more friends who are the rarer types than the more > common ones. My boyfriend's an INTJ, though, and he can't stand Them. > Yet I put up with the silly boy anyway. :) I have noticed that there are a lot of I???'s out there in THEYland. I think it's probably because, don't hate me for saying this, THEY arent' really "accepted" as music in the "real world." THEY aren't played often on the radio so they're not popular. Only the introverts/people who listen to stuff on their own, realize the value of THEM. Just my $.02 *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 13:30:54 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Personality Test On Sat, 13 Apr 1996 Brooksie2@aol.com wrote: > Brooks, who just found out that she is an ENFP, although she thinks that ^^^^ And I thought I was the only one! ENFP's unite! --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 13:36:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: E town On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > I'm writing from Cortney's computer in Scranton PA just to say Didn't Harry Chapin write a song about Scranton PA? 10000 pounds of bananas or something like that? *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 14:43:11 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: scranton and bananas!!! Yes, Harry Chapin most certainly DID write a song about Scranton, called 30,000 lbs. of Bananas! By the way, last night's show was excellent! I will fill ya all in later! sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 11:48:43 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: Personality Test OK, I gave in and took the test. I'm an INTP. Kasey ------------------------------ From: noogie soldier Subject: myers-briggs dookie Date: Sat, 13 Apr 96 13:52:44 CDT i tend to think that the myers-briggs test is dumb, and if jung was alive today, he would say 'stop all this nonsense, dummies.' i realize that this is not tmbg related at all, and i humbly apologize, but i felt as though i needed to say this. for one thing, the questions are blatantly obvious as to what they're leading to (if you go to a party, do you A. talk to a bunch of people or B. sit around and talk to your friends; hmmm, i wonder what this question is getting at?). this may lead people to answer in the way that they perceive themselves to be or wish themselves to be even though they really aren't necessarily. secondly, it depends greatly on what kind of a mood i'm in what score i get. i just took it and got ENFP, but i'm fairly sure that in the past i've been an I and maybe a T. it really depends on the situation what kind of person i am, and i'm sure this is true of others also. thirdly, this is just another way that we love to try and gain an identity. i think some people feel more secure about themselves after they take this test and can categorize themselves. fourthly, related to the last one, when people take this test and receive a score, they tend to expect to act in the way they scored. we move in the direction of our expectations. thusly, this test becomes a polarizing factor. i'm sorry if that whole thing didn't make much sense as i just kind of spewed it from the top of my head. having said all that, i sent my personality type to the survey taking person, which may contradict myself, but i don't care. once again, i apologize for the non-tmbg post, but just remember, i didn't start it. farside ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 15:20:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: They Might Have Characteristics? The thing I notice the most is probably their clothing...Flans always seems to have on a striped t-shirt, and Linnell seems to favor plain t-shirts or a white button up shirt with low-top black converses. (I notice the shoes because, my friend wears the same kind for that very reason!) Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 14:25:55 -0500 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Re: Personality Test At 11:48 AM 4/13/96 -0800, you wrote: >OK, I gave in and took the test. I'm an INTP. I took it too... I'm an INFJ ...there sure are a lot of IN**s on this list... mayber it's something unlike the Ages and the number 23 that we all actually have in common... hmmm... Braham Ketcham: Email: - hexagon@salamander.com - braham_ketcham@mail.decorah.k12.ia.us Web Site: - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon ------------------------------ Date: 13 Apr 96 15:26:19 EDT From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Subject: Re: Personality Test im not so sure i trust these things. last year i was an enfp, now im supposedly an intp. i doubt college has changed me all that much, but oh well. -sara- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 96 14:25:09 -0700 From: Ruprecht Subject: http://sunsite.unc.edu/jembin/mba.pl I took that test, but I basically screwed it over by lying and randomly guessimg at questions which I wanted the answer "other"... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 15:47:36 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: Personality Test the beauty of the myers-briggs test is that it ISN'T meant to be concrete...that must be understood... there are scores in each category...ranges, if you will... if your letters fluctuate in certain categories, it just means you're more in the middle...someone, theoretically, could be an XXXX, who is not leaning in one direction or the other...or who does lean either way in different scanarios... if you are more slanted toward one side (for example, my bf is about 42 points "T"), this characeristic is stronger than others...less likely to lean the other way... it's also nice, becasue it is not meant to polarize your personality... it is more of a gague to measure how much of certain traits you DO possess... and, for farside...i thought exactly the same thing, when it comes to answering the way you WANT to be, but i really think the only questions that are easily determined as into to which category they fall are the "E" and "I" ones...i found it really quite duifficult, though, when i took the test a second time, to worry about "which category does this represent, and how do i want to answer?"...i think the test has been designed well enough to avoid most of that...and as each category yields various traits (i.e. extroversion is not ONLY being loud at parties...), it becomes even more complex...esp. the section where you answer which word is most appealing... anyway i think it a well-designed test, which is broad enough not to be a categorization kind of test...more of a gague, as i said before... so...the inevitable question...what do you guys think the Johns are?? (i dont want this to turn into a huge, annoying thread {or has it already?}, but i think it's an interesting question to consider!) sorry for the flooding with this myers-briggs thing, but it's interesting, to me! see you all around! --fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 15:56:03 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: E-town I was at the E-town show last night and it was so cool. Unfortunately I got lost on the way and came right at the end of Ana Ng. I didn't get to meet anybody from the list :( but maybe at there next show around here. Speaking of which, the latest rumors going around here are that They might be coming to Allegheny for springfest. I don't know if this is so, but I will be sure to let you all know when I found out. ************************************************************************** "The call me Mr. Knowitall, I am so eloquent. Perfection is my middle name and whatever rhymes with eloquent." - Les Claypool M.C.I. of "This Show Sucks" fame. Fridays 9-11 am ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 02:18:36 -0600 Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing I just went and took one of those tests, because it's been a long time since I took my first (IsJP) Now, not five minutes ago, I am an ENFP! Almost complete persona change...This isn't as exciting for most of you as it is for me, but that's ok. Just remember that some people(Like me) could take this test every other sday and get completely different results every time. -Rabid (ENFP) Child ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 16:21:10 -0400 Subject: Re: Personality Test I'll vote for Flans being an E. ;) I don't think that you can take personality tests too much to heart. I found myself chuckling as I took the test, because I knew that, due to the fact that I tend to like talking to people, or hell, just talking in general, that I would end up as an "E". I think of the M-B test as being kinda like the daily horoscope. You can take it for what it is, have a good laugh over the whole thing, and move on with your life. Personally, I don't think I like the idea of categorizing human beings on the basis of four letters... Let's give ourselves some credit, because we're a lot more complex than that. In truth, my cats have more complex personalities than M-B would allow them. (If only they weren't busy sleeping, I'm sure they'd take the test, too.) Onto a more TMBG like topic... How many people think they are going to be at the Edison thing? I'll be getting directions from a friend soon, if anyone needs 'em. Love, Babbling Brooks, the E. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 16:35:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: tmbg.org Is it possible to get an e-mail account on tmbg.org? Amanda ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 17:34:57 EST Subject: Etown rocked pretty good Hey all! I made it to the E-town show last night - by the grace of God... We drove all over Jabip and back trying to get there.... We were this * close to Maryland at one point! And, to crack me even further, the Johns sang a new song at the show about getting lost!!! It was a beautiful thing. I swear it was about our trip. So, the sang a lot of new songs from an upcomming album - can it finally be true?? :) I really liked "XTC vs Adam Ant" and "XXY." They were super fly. And I finally found out what Spin the Dial is! The show was a bit short, and only one encore, but then - it WAS a college show. I think they prefer club shows where the majority of the people there are there specifically to see TMBG... The conga line was noticably missing from the show. Doh. And - get this - FLANS DID NOT WEAR A STRIPED SHIRT. Nutty! He wore a shirt with a woman on it that said "We can do it!" Wacky... Unfortunately, I didn't get to play frisbee - being that I got to the show at the stroke of 8, and I didn't meet any list-ers. :( Such is life. Later skaters! -Tara ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: e-town fest Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 18:35:46 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, Well I had a good time at e-town. That was a pretty hard to find school. I know how Tara feels, Maryland wasn't anywhere near e-town, that was sucky that she drove all the way down there. We span the entire Baltimore- Harrisburg expressway, I-83 in search of the geniuses of rock, even though we had to stop twice to figure out where we were. But after 2 1/2 hours of driving (only 1 1/2 hour of eriving home since we knew where we were going) we got t e-town , about 20 minutes late 8-( We misssed Ana Ng and James K. Polk and I don't know what else. As far as how the concert went itself I thought it was one of the worst (my friend who couldn't go would be happy to hear that), but all of the other festivities were great!! There was a Licoln Towncar (or Crown Victoria or something) parked right outside. We waited around for about 30-40 minutes, I thought it w was a decoy car, but it ended up being there's. Right behind the They Might Be Incorporated van. One of the Canadian dudes, Mike or Alex, I don't know who, yelled, " We came all the way from Canada to see you guys" (or something like that), and they said "Cool!" Then they drove away. Ok I may have massacred that conversation, Alex or Mike sholuld be able to relate it better. My friend, Mike, picked up a poster and on it had Tony Maimone as one of the band members, old pic! I also got the demo tape from Cortney, even though I stupidly did not bring her stuff (I'll get that right out to you Cort!) It rocks and rolls! The reason I didn't like the concert part as much was for a coupe of reasons. One we got there late, and it took me forever to get up in front of my favorite spot, right in front of Flans! (the best side!). But that was our fault Secondly, not many people knew the songs or were into it. I asked a bunhc of people if they were going to form a conga line during NOKMP and they just looked at me funny and said, what is that? I asked one person if they had heard John Henry and they didn't even know what that was! Finally, in response someone said, "We'll form one if they play it". Which they never did 8-( Because of this I think TMBg were just not into as much. It was a very short show. I think Tara was right about the college scene as opposed to the club scene where opeople are into it more. Many of these Cowtowners just went along probalby because they didn't have anything better to do. The campus was pretty big but nothing was going on on a warm Fridya night except this concert. Ahh gimme the DC/Baltiomore/Philly big city scenes, more fans into it. Plus you can get mugged at the Wawa and frisked at the door while waiting in line *grin* About the They Got Lost, I missed it because we got there late, but someone said that at the beginning they said how they got lost in Hershey, PA (wasn't easy getting to E-town), so they realy lived up to that new song. They did play the other new ones, SEXXY, Adam Ant vs. XTC, Reprehensible (Linnell on the clarinet!!!), and the other ones I forgot. They were pretty good, a lot of them were more mellow. I don't think they played Spiralling Shape either, but maybe they did, anyone know? The new songs took up a large portion of the show in fact. The new guitarist, Eric was pretty good. HJe was playing a solo and Flans, Brian, and Graham were relaly getting into it, gritting their teeth, and banging their heads and stuff, twas very funny! That shirt that Flans was wearing was one of the old style '50s design, I forgot what it said, but my friend said his old gf had a shirt just like it! At the end when they drove away Linnell was wearing his thick glasses, Zach was getting pictures of him and during the concert too even though it said no cameras. Ahh it was a prety good concert! Now, hopefully I'll make it to the upcoming Edison Laboratory museum type show coming up at the end of the month! Ok, I must get outta here, this is getting way too long! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 18:55:31 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: AT??? Hiya guys! I have an observation...and a subsequent question for ya! Today I found and bought the Don't Let's Start Maxi Single at a used record store (Wheee!). The cover is yellow, with a snowman melting over a pile of burning money. Well, we made an observation...in the center of the money-fire, there ia a small blank spot, with the word, "AT" inscribed inside. Does anyone know the significance of this? Just wondering... (Oh, and I *will* post about E-town, I promise!) sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: E-town: Flans' shirt Date: Sat, 13 Apr 96 19:37:35 18000 From the previous conversations about Flansburgh's shirt at The E-town show, I thought I had a more enlightening detail concerning it. They said it was a woman with the slogan "We Can Do It" in a 50's style. Really, if it's what I'm thinking (I wasn't at E-town :( ) It's a World War II era poster for women's lib/women's work, where as the women had to do the factory type jobs since the men were at war.... it's a pretty famous logo. Oh yeah! Today I was at our city-wide spring festival, Springtime Tallahassee, with lots of folksy types out to see the parade and boo at Andrew Jackson and protest the gay/lesbian float and other such things; when as I was walking through the crowds, I suddenly noticed a guy walking ahead of me with a girl, and he was wearing the TMBG 'Hats' shirt! I went "Wow, a cool guy!" in my head, then managed to get ahead of him, ctach his eye and say "Uh, cool shirt." He said "Thanks." Then I walked off. Oh well... little experiences like this are kind of cool. I wonder if he was anybody on the list? If he was, then that was me.... -Tom I guess (Golfing!) -- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 18:45:49 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: Meyers-Briggs >i myself am an INTJ (not many J's on the list, are there?)...and it's >odd...my sister in an INFP...funny, i seem to know a lot of those, even >though it's less common...heh, guess i just move in those circles...hehe. I'm also an INTJ. I used to remember what all the letters stood for, but not any more. Are there a lot of science-y people out there? I'm an engineering student, and I just know a lot of "classic geek" They fans! Cyndi Batson ************ Northwestern University ph: 847-332-9052 c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 20:19:27 -0400 (EDT) From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: Re: e-town show. Damn how late did you get there. I got there exactly at 8pm, dind't really get lost but the derictions they gave were incomplete so we did logical guessing until we could stop for directions (the guesses happened to be right). The show didn't start until about 8:30 and it started with Older. So I am just wondering when you got there. As for my opion on the E-town show, it was pretty cool, I got to hear some songs that I didn't know the words to. The set list however was VERY predicatble (if you listened to the Web Concert a few days ago) god the person I was with tought I was physic when I call the first couple of songs right and thier confusing lead-ins weren't confusing which was a little dissapointing. The audience couldn't have been more deader however. No one really got up or moved around, sang along (execpt to flood songs which made me feel like I was with a Tiny Toon Adventure Audience). But all in all Them put on a good show and they have some very good new songs. My favroite of the night had to have been They Got Lost. Counterfeit Faker was also a really good song, I like what they did with it (its rules and it also has both of John and John singing). XTC vs Atom Ant was cool which sparked a discussion on how it would be cool if a battle of the bands was fought with the bands fighting each other with instruments and it was on pay per view. All in all it was worth the $8 for the ticket and money for gas. But the people from the college that gave directions didn't really know where they were :) On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: > > > well, on the good graces of Matt James (G-D bless him) and company, i was > able to get to the e-town show. it was kinda short, but THEY gave a great > performance. (for $8 you get half a concert. what do you expect?) my > favorite out of the new songs was "XTC vs Adam Ant" (i really loved it) > but they didn't play Spiralling shape, or at least i don't know. we got > there about 20 minutes late, we got lost, and they didn't have any > opening band, so we missed the first 20 minutes > "they never start on time" > -me. > but when Flans brought out the radio, he flipped around till he got to > this Bon Jovi song and THEY did this really cool rendition of it (and the > crowd went wild) > > > feeling groovy, > daniel > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 20:23:58 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: i've got an idea. we should request regional TMBG concerts ONLY for those people who will definitely jump up and down and really get into it. if people aren't having a good time and getting into it, security should remove them. mtfbwy daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 21:15:02 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Personality test I took that test too...im INFJ >( AMY)< ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 22:58:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Horns? To be honest, I haven't really been listening to the Johns too much since their god-awful show at Toad's Place. However, I have been curious as to whether they're playing with a horn section again. Also, does anyone know anything about what Brian Dewan's doing these days? Shows? A new album? Anything? -Slacker Ng P.S. Tom Hare, glad you liked the tapes. What did you think of those other songs? P.P.S. As I'm writing this, I'm listening to an old Judge Dread album I picked up the other day. If you can find his stuff, BUY IT NOW. (Sorry about the blatant plug, but damn, this is good stuff.) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 23:21:47 -0700 From: Brian Lamb Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing -- INTP Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > > Alright, I'm game. I'm starting a survey. > > If you know your Myers-Briggs personality type, send it to > . I'll tabulate the results and post them to the list. > Don't send your type to the list, send it to me. Wow, I just tried this out and after reading the descriptions for INTJ and INTP it was difficult to say that I lean decidely one way or the other --- but I think over all I would say I am an INTP. hope everyone else is out there discovering themselves... :) Later, Brian __________________________________________________________________ The best thing you ever done for me Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life afterall - Indigo Girls ------------------------------ From: joe.kopera@cynosure.com (Joe Kopera) Subject: E-Town Concert & Stuff! Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:46:16 GMT Organization: Cynosure Online - 410-781-6271 Hello! Aha! I like don't post regularly or much at all, but I just wanted to say Hi! to all the list buddies I met at the concert! I am Joe, the guy from Baltimore with the butterfly and the purple shirt and who gave away my purple touppee. Like, ya`ll should E-mail me since my provider is back up and we can chat. But most of all. That was one daaaamn good concert. They played a conga rhythm just for us conga-liners!!! ... Joe.Kopera@cynosure.com - Disgruntled Teen, Baltimore, Md. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: contribution to myers-briggs Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:10:34 -0400 (EDT) I cannot for the life of me remember my meyers briggs score, but I did take it twice and got the exact same thing both times! I thought that it might have been bullshit, I was sure at least one of the letters would change, but now I'm pretty convinced it it consistent. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Meyers Briggs test Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:21:13 -0400 (EDT) For all who wish to know, thre is a web site with the Meyers-Briggs test. It is at http://sunsite.unc.edu/jembin/mb.pl Enjoy! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Apr 96 00:22:44 -0700 From: Ruprecht Subject: Remember the Shane Markle Incedent? >Shane Markle adds: > > I just read your TMBG FAQ, and came across the discussion >about the words > in "Dinner Bell", and did a little investigation myself. I was >amazed at what I > came up with, and that is, there are actually two correct >answers. It does > depend on which side you're listing to, as was mentioned in >the FAQ. But the > highs and the lows don't sync up with each other. In the space >between the > highs,the lows come through, that's why it's so choppy, so >that one side can > come in where the other rests, and make the second message. > > Right Left > > I repeat, my sir* I reheat my soup, > fit it together (It is a gumbo) > and walk a(way) and walk away > look look look proof (staight from the FAQ) that the infamous-mail-box-full-anoying-type-person actually exists! (or did exist until he got sucked into his mailbox and clogged it) NOTE: for those of you who haven't been on the mailing list for more than a week this shouldn't make sense... ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: last thing about meyers Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:31:35 -0400 (EDT) I just took the web meyers-briggs and got an IXFJ. The X said I was 50/50 split between S and N. I think in the past I was more S as in sensitive? I think in the past I was more perceiving than judging but nw i think I'm more judging by a little bit. Hmm differnt than past results but that was over a year ago I think. Ok on with the giants talk! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: They Might Have Characteristics? Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:35:48 -0400 (EDT) > > Ben or Been here. > > Um, what is each John's most defining physical characteristic? > > For Flansy, I say: > His glasses--I don't know whether I'd know who he was if he had them off. > > For Linnell, I say: > His throat--He resembles a frog in some way to me, so when I see pictures > of him, I think Glottal Glottal Glottal. > > What do you guys notice the most in each John? Linnell is the skinny, pale faced, strained faced, over-coffeeized one. I think he must drink tons of coffee each day cause he's looking not as great as he used to maybe? Flans is the big guy, that's all there is to it Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: myers-briggs dookie Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:41:56 -0400 (EDT) iHeyas, The problem with the Meyers -Briggs test is you have to be ultimately objective about yourself, you realy have to think about what you would do, NOT what you would like to think you'd do. I go into it really thinking about this, how do I act? I think that's why when I first took it those 2 times, I got the same score. They were also taken within a month of one another. I do believe that people change over time, though, although not greatly (usually) so you may have some different results. Having a complete change of 3 or 4 of the letters usually signifies a lobotomy *grin* or just not answering exactly how you would do in that situation. You can't just breeze over some of these. A lot of the questions are pretty direct, i.e. talking to everyone or just talking to friends, but that's how it's supposed to be. Ok I said last time I wouldn't post about this anymore but I juts had to I guess? Oh well see yas, Matt > i tend to think that the myers-briggs test is dumb, and if jung was alive > today, he would say 'stop all this nonsense, dummies.' i realize that this > is not tmbg related at all, and i humbly apologize, but i felt as though > i needed to say this. for one thing, the questions are blatantly obvious > as to what they're leading to (if you go to a party, do you A. talk to a > bunch of people or B. sit around and talk to your friends; hmmm, i wonder > what this question is getting at?). this may lead people to answer in the > way that they perceive themselves to be or wish themselves to be even > though they really aren't necessarily. secondly, it depends greatly on what > kind of a mood i'm in what score i get. i just took it and got ENFP, but > i'm fairly sure that in the past i've been an I and maybe a T. it really > depends on the situation what kind of person i am, and i'm sure this is true > of others also. thirdly, this is just another way that we love to try and > gain an identity. i think some people feel more secure about themselves > after they take this test and can categorize themselves. fourthly, related > to the last one, when people take this test and receive a score, they tend > to expect to act in the way they scored. we move in the direction of our > expectations. thusly, this test becomes a polarizing factor. i'm sorry > if that whole thing didn't make much sense as i just kind of spewed it from > the top of my head. > > having said all that, i sent my personality type to the survey taking person, > which may contradict myself, but i don't care. once again, i apologize for > the non-tmbg post, but just remember, i didn't start it. > > farside > -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-105 ******************************