Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 107 Tuesday, 16 April 1996 Today's Topics: new friends T-SHIRT!!!!! Boba's E-Town Experience Re: E-town Sorry about posting twice Re: T-SHIRT!!!!! Re: more shirt stuff Re: personality test.... Re: Crappy Music Spin the Dial at E-town Re: Spin the Dial at E-town Re: I found singles! and stuff Re: lots o' things. Re: more shirt stuff Re: Boba's E-Town Experience Re: The Digest of Old T shirt? Re: Spin the Dial at E-town New Online Music Store (no list content) Re: Spin the Dial at E-town textiletown Re: T shirt? Re: Spin the Dial at E-town Re: lots o' things. ok... Re: T shirt? Re: T-SHIRT!!!!! THE TOP 20 (22) Re: Crappy Music Re: New Online Music Store (no list content) Re: Crappy Music Re: New Online Music Store (no list content) T-Shirt.!?*@$ Clarissa T-Shirt.>>>>??? Re: textiletown I can't believe I took the damn test My two projects (NOT dads) Re: Clarissa t-shirts Re: Clarissa Re: lots o' things. TMBG Omelette! Administrivia Re: New Online Music Store (no list content) Re: The Digest of Old Mailing List T-Shirt! :) web space test and tshirt TMBG concert Re: Spiralling Shape Re: THE TOP 20 (22) TMBG covers Re: concert My Answering Machine Particle Man Hearing Aid (none) Re: Hearing Aid Re: My Answering Machine Popularity. top 5 favorites Re: TMBG covers Re: My Answering Machine Re: My Answering Machine (none) Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:04:00 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: new friends Hola mis amigos!! It's cortney, how are ya? Although I already shared my E-town experience with everyone, I just wanted to re-thank all you listers out there for making it such a great great experience!!! One I will not forget anytime soon! I hope to see you all again (and meet even more of you!), so try try try to get to those shows!!!! peace through music sun and smiles cortney ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: T-SHIRT!!!!! Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 8:45:19 EDT This TMBG mailing list T-shirt idea is a really good one!!! Hrm... as a matter of fact.... If there are lots of people who feel like designing one (As it seems there are) I think I can make a Web page for voting on designs, if people will send them to me..... I normally couldn't offer the server space but hey, my school won't care (or know). So please, everybody, tell me if this is a good idea, and I'll do it, then everybody can get on and vote and we'll have a good ol' time. P.S. I'll be designing a shirt as well, i take a graphics design class 3rd period. -Tom I guess (He's made from monkey cum you know) -- ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 09:24:34 EST Subject: Boba's E-Town Experience O.K. Here I go. My trip had a lot of interesting quirks. I took a four hour bus ride to Harrisburg. From there I took a thirty minute train ride to Elizabethtown. From there my friend Mel and took a ride from some lady named Tammy to the college. (Talk about by rocket to the moon!) We were at the college about 3 hours before the show began. I met this security who we talked with for quite a while. We got interviewed by this guy who was 'Mr. Security's' brother for E-town college's TV station. 'Mr. Security' is not the same guard we talked to for hours. Then, John, John, and Brian pulled up in their luxary car. Flans said "Where's the gig?" I chuckled. A third security guy told them where to park. -(Linnell looks cool in glassess) Any way we went around front to the front door to hang out. That is where I met the very lovely Cortney, how ya doin' babe? Later Alex and Mike showed up. Alex gave me a bundle of beautifully crafted TMBG rarities. Thanks AL!!! Mike was more concerned with Wrestlemania VII, though. :-) The show was great, except no horn players. :-( I lived though. My piece of nostalgia was gotten for me by Mr. Security himself: The D String of John Flansburgh's guitar!!!!!! Wacky-ass!!!!!!!! Ahem. After the show, my friend Melanie informed me that we had to walk back to her dorm, which mind you was in another county. So, we started walking, for 2 hours and 15 minutes, until some very lovely Menanites responded to my hitchhiking (Don't Panic!). E-Town Boba Statistics: $51 for a roundtrip bus ticket. $16 for two TMBG concert tickets $ 6 for two train tickets $ 6 spent on Pepsi and Coke respectively $10 given to Melanie's roomate Lori for driving me to bus station $20 spent on the phone arranging the whole thing 400 miles traveled. What do I have left? 2 pepsi points Receipt from Bus Ticket Train ticket stub Concert ticket stub 1 Broken guitar string 6 TMBG rarity tepes 1 TMBG sticker Was it worth it? HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!! Other Stuff- I'd love to be Boba@tmbg.org!!!!!! Did anyone bootleg the show? How is everyone? I haven't been here for 4 days! Well, Boba is tired, so he is going to stop typing. Boba Sleep Now. -Matthew Ondrey, who's just a woofer covered in wood. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "I LOVE THE DEAD." "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 09:46:28 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: E-town > I think I forgot to say this in my other message: whoever booted > the concert (someone did, right?), could I get a copy? Thanks. > I was gonna but I dind't have anywhere to hide the recorder. But I did however get some lovley pictures (ill scan them when I get access to a scanner). ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 10:45:55 EST Subject: Sorry about posting twice About these T-Shirts I think that there should be some cool list-related quote Suggestion: You'll never know what you'll find in your letterbox tomorrow Any one else have any ideas?? Whoever said they liked John Linnell's voice was definitely right, i.e.: "...Where they let me play the awgan" "Deputy dog dog a ding dang depa depa....." Well, Boba Out part 2. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey, who's just a woofer covered in wood. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "I LOVE THE DEAD." "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 10:50:32 -0400 Subject: Re: T-SHIRT!!!!! I'm on another mailing list that made t-shirts, and I think one of the best things they did was to put the design on a web page, so that people could see the design, and give their suggestions. In the end, we had a t-shirt that everyone liked. Granted, it was a smaller list, so general agreement was probably a lot easier to come by. So, I say, put the designs (or designs) on a web page (or several). I was a fine arts major before switching to film, but I think there are enough people wanting to do the design that I'm just going to sit back and watch. But how lovely that we have so many arts oriented listers. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 10:54:59 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: more shirt stuff On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > >Ok, I was just emailed by somebody who will help me with the technical part > >of the shirt thing (ex., getting it on the internet) , so I am willing to do > >the design if you guys want to do that. I'm sort of decent at art, so it > >wouldn't suck too bad...Input? > > If this thing happens I'll be willing to shell out the web space for the > pictures or maybe just link to it... I got almost unlimited web space (temporary)... like 1100 megs, if that would be helpful... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:14:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Weasel Subject: Re: personality test.... Okay, maybe I missed something. But I want to know my personality too. Or maybe I don't have one! Uh oh...anyway, could someone please tell me how to take this personality test everyone keeps talking about? - Weasel ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 12:03:09 MDT Subject: Re: Crappy Music ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 28 The Big Blue Dog mused: 1. How is it that you get a song that you absoultely hate stuck in your head? 2. Why is it that that song that you hate always is a hit? I have discovered that many of the #1 hit songs are catchy ones that shoot up the charts, stay for a week, then plummet back down the charts, when people get SICK of hearing them. The greatest music takes some time to grow on you, but you won't get tired of hearing it even after many listenings. So, in my opinion, songs should be rated based on how long they stayed on the charts, NOT how high they got, or whether they reached #1 (or top 10/40/100). For example, an album that stayed on the Billboard top 500 for 10 years (but never got above 100) would have a higher rating that one that hit #1 for a single week, and was only on the top 500 for 3 months. Ask yourself, did you really like the first Beethoven symphony that you ever listened to? Think about the music that you listened to all the time ten years ago. You probably still listen to some of it and some of it you have NO desire to ever hear again. Shouldn't we all be a little more open minded about new music that we hear for the first time? Just spouting off my opinions again, Russ Josephson ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 14:13 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Spin the Dial at E-town oh, for the person who asked what the first song was during this little interlude, it just popped into my head (while i was trying to do some work) that it was "right here, right now" by...um...EMF or someone like that. cool! well, bye. -j.l. someone in the club tonight has stolen my ideas ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Spin the Dial at E-town Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:35:18 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts >oh, for the person who asked what the first song was during this little >interlude, it just popped into my head (while i was trying to do some >work) that it was "right here, right now" by...um...EMF or someone like >that. Jesus Jones. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: I found singles! and stuff Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:37:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Snowball In Hell: > Which brings up another point: why do people always get Them >confused? I'll confess; I too, couldn't tell Their voices apart at the >beginning. It wasn't until I saw Them in concert (see Vienna Virginia) >for the first time did I start to be able to tell Them apart. I mean, it's >not even as if They sound that much alike. They're just mixed up often. >Am I the only one who's noticed this? No. And that's one reason why I created the Who Sings What list. http://umn.edu/~cab/whosings.txt -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: lots o' things. Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:38:54 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of DAVID A. MEYERSON: >an idea borrowed from another band's mailing list: > We should get a t-shirt made that BLATANTLY SAYS that the person > wearing this shirt is a member of the TMBG MAILING LIST. this way > it would be simple to spot someone from the list. Greg Galcik (a former list regular; dunno if he's still on here) made some Spider and Blue Thing shirts. A few may still be available: http://www.thoughtport.com/spinnwebe/catalog/ >btw, roughly how many people are on the list? About 500. -CB ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: more shirt stuff Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:47:01 -0400 (EDT) > > On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > > > >Ok, I was just emailed by somebody who will help me with the technical part > > >of the shirt thing (ex., getting it on the internet) , so I am willing to do > > >the design if you guys want to do that. I'm sort of decent at art, so it > > >wouldn't suck too bad...Input? > > > > If this thing happens I'll be willing to shell out the web space for the > > pictures or maybe just link to it... > > I got almost unlimited web space (temporary)... like 1100 megs, if that > would be helpful... 1100 MB of space? How do you get so much? Got your own server or something? I, too, can put up any and all pictures on my web page if needed. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:41:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: Boba's E-Town Experience On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, BOBA FETT wrote: > Later Alex and Mike showed up. Alex gave me a bundle of beautifully > crafted TMBG rarities. Thanks AL!!! Mike was more concerned with > Wrestlemania VII, though. :-) The show was great, except no horn > players. :-( I lived though. My piece of nostalgia was gotten > for me by Mr. Security himself: The D String of John Flansburgh's > guitar!!!!!! Wacky-ass!!!!!!!! > It's a set-up! Know I have no interest in Wrestlemania. Just had to clear this up so dirty rumours don't get started. Also, Boba: we like you, so stop risking your life to get to shows. Hitchhiking is a dangerous activity. On the other hand I doubt anyone would have any interest in fucking with you, since you're somewhat imposing...and you did show up, and that's the important thing. Back in Canada, safe from all of you, Mike. "Let's blow the fuck out of the Safeway!" Randy exclaimed. "Yeah, man! I'll get the atomic weapon from under my bed!" His brother Sam yelled. "We'll show them. We'll show them all!" Randy sat on the front step and rubbed his hands together diabolically. "When Dad got me started with building geiger counters and other atomic devices, I'll bet he never thought I'd ever parlay that knowledge into evil atomic pranks. I am, after all, just an average American teen who spends all his time with his younger brother in dark rooms spreading radium paint all over the place, scratching radium dust off of clock faces, prospecting for radioactive ore, and masturbating so much my dick glows in the dark! Well, wait till he finds out my plan for world domination!" He started to chortle darkly and before long the dusk air was filled with his laughter. Sam shot out the front door holding the atomic bomb, and stopped short when he saw Randy. "Oh, man, are you beating off again?" "You secure that shit," Randy said. --There's Adventure In Atomic Energy, 1957 ------------------------------ Subject: Re: The Digest of Old Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:47:47 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew Coon: >The main thing that has changed is that (most of) the bugs have been >worked out. When the list started to grow (I remember when we first broke >100 subscribers) there were more and more bugs as Micah struggled with >what seemed to be some sort of homebrew listserv. It was certainly odd in that mail was sent from a completely different machine in a separate organization from where the list was managed (i.e. you sent to super.org to subscribe but gnu.ai.mit.edu to post.) Tres bizzare. Speaking of Micah, I wonder what happened to him. He seemed to just fall off the face of the earth one day (indeed, that was why the old list was forced to shut down.) He also maintained the FTP site on max (formerly insti).physics.sunysb.edu, but that has not been cleaned up since... well, since Micah vanished :) >(Am I forgetting anything?) Yes. We're all married. ;) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: T shirt? Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 14:49:54 18000 So, let's come to a consensus, guys. . . what should be on the shirt? I'm thinking one of their slightly-less-well-known designs on the front (liek the melting snowman ... i already did a shirt once with him) or the coffee cups... And the list address and www.tmbg.org on the back? -- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:50:45 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Re: Spin the Dial at E-town I hate to be the jerk who is always correcting everyone but "Right Here Right Now" is by Jesus Jones. Who, by the way are actually pretty good. Sorry, man. I had to say something. ************************************************************************** "The call me Mr. Knowitall, I am so eloquent. Perfection is my middle name and whatever rhymes with eloquent." - Les Claypool M.C.I. of "This Show Sucks" fame. Fridays 9-11 am ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:53:51 -0400 From: "L. Peryer" Organization: CD UNIVERSE Subject: New Online Music Store (no list content) Dear List Owner: If this announcement was accidently posted to your list as opposed to just the owner, please forgive the intrusion. I have used the mailing list directory at http://www.nova.edu/Inter-Links as a reference. I am emailing you on behalf of a new online venture, CD Universe. We are in the midst of the roll-out for our website which features over 180,000 CDs and cassettes at the lowest prices on the 'net. I would like to know if you would consider stopping by our website and then making an announcement to your subscribers telling them about us. In return, I would add a link, with subscription instructions, about your list to our site. We are offering our visitors one of the richest music sites, in terms of content and selection, and we would like to have a link with you. To qualify for a link, just cc: your list announcement to me at manager@www.cduniverse.com. As a fan and student of music for many years, I know I am always looking for ways to find out what's new with my favorite groups or labels, and now I have some excellent resources at my disposal, from trade publications to contacts at various labels. I would like to make this information, and myself, accessible to other music lovers. I plan to monitor discussion on several lists and offer up anything I can. Please don't hesitate to ask if there is anything specific I can look into for you. Please stop by for a visit, and let me know if there is anyway I can serve your list. Thank you, Larry Peryer General Manager CD Universe http://www.cduniverse.com/?frm=ml_ml ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 15:08:27 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Spin the Dial at E-town > >oh, for the person who asked what the first song was during this little > >interlude, it just popped into my head (while i was trying to do some > >work) that it was "right here, right now" by...um...EMF or someone like > >that. > > Jesus Jones. > No the song was Right Here, Right Now but it wasn't done by emf, but I can't remeber who it was done by (I can picture the CD my brother used to have it). ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:16:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: textiletown Having a couple of different designs and then having a vote is a splendid idea! I can bet there are alot of talented people on this list who would make great designs, so that way it is only fair. If we are to do this though, we will need a page with plenty of space to hold all of the designs for people to look at. Or maybe they should all be mailed out through the list, since this is specifically for the listers? Another minor thing... if this all works out, are we all going to download it and get it made ourselves or send money to that guy with the shirt shop? What would be cheaper? Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:18:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: T shirt? On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > So, let's come to a consensus, guys. . . what should be on the > shirt? I'm thinking one of their slightly-less-well-known designs on > the front (liek the melting snowman ... i already did a shirt once > with him) or the coffee cups... And the list address and www.tmbg.org > on the back? maybe we should come up with something totally original, instead of using one of the old They designs. We should think of a saying or something to go on it too. I think the address would be cool for the back. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 15:32 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: Spin the Dial at E-town >>oh, for the person who asked what the first song was during this little >>interlude, it just popped into my head (while i was trying to do some >>work) that it was "right here, right now" by...um...EMF or someone like >>that. >Jesus Jones. thanks. i couldn't remember, so i took a stab at it... -j.l. there's a thermostat that regulates the temperature that might not be reliable that should be disconnected... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:09:09 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: lots o' things. > > >btw, roughly how many people are on the list? > > About 500. > wait a second...didnt leo bicknell just post saying that there were something like 164 people on the list and 300 subscribing to the digest...? i didnt save the message, but...i think i remember him as having said that...(approx.)...leo, am i right? --Fan, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:13:02 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: ok... ok, so i actually did save that message (for the interest of tmbg.org...i would love that, by the way!)...i suppose those people subscribing to the digest are also counted as being on the list...so that would, in fact, make it roughly 500...sorry, my mistake! --fran ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:16:15 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: T shirt? > So, let's come to a consensus, guys. . . what should be on the > shirt? I'm thinking one of their slightly-less-well-known designs on > the front (liek the melting snowman ... i already did a shirt once > with him) or the coffee cups... And the list address and www.tmbg.org > on the back? I was always fond of the image (b&w) created with the swinging lightulb shining on the maniacal johns' faces in the The Guitar video...or something out of the statue got me high video...spacemen on skateboards...john & john standing on pedestals of the solar system holding their instruments aloft to the heavens... erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:14:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: T-SHIRT!!!!! Okee-dokee. Here are my thoughts for the almighty T-shirt. Everyone who wants to do a design for the Shirt, should send it to wherever we have to send this sort of thing. But, so all you out there who can't draw very well, you should send in your idea for the clever little They-related saying on the back. That way everyone gets input. Except for the Alanis Morrisette fans. --Jack Curley http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:47:19 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: THE TOP 20 (22) This is the top 20, now converted, due to ties, to 22. Sorry for the inconvienience. If you personally don't agree with this list, that's OK, you're still cool because you like TMBG. There are things that should have been added to the list of things to be voted on, but that's OK. If you don't know much about some of the things on the list, then it might be a good idea to check them out. Have Fun! Thanks for participating! Ana Ng Honorable Mentions: with eleven votes=8A Dead Poets Society * Dr. Suess * 80's Music * MAD * Movies/Old Movies * Quantum Leap * Queen * Ren and Stimpy * Star Trek * Simon and Garfunkel * Whose Line is it Anyway? The Top Twenty-Two: ties broken alphabetically (# of Votes) 22. Violent Femmes (12) 21. Rocky and Bullwinkle (12) 20. Pulp Fiction (12) 19. Mr. Bean (12) 18. Seinfeld (13) 17. Coffee (13) 16. The Beatles (13) 15. Douglas Adams (13) 14. Saturday Night Live '75-'79 (14) 13. Red Dwarf (14) 12. Reading (14) 11. Dave Barry (14) 10. "Weird Al" Yankovic (15) 9. Star Wars (16) 8. The Muppets (16) 7. The Simpsons (17) 6. Calvin and Hobbes (17) 5. Animaniacs (17) 4. MST 3K (18) 3. Far Side (19) 2. Monty Python (20) And the #1 thing that TMBG fans tend to have in common=8A With 22 votes.... THE PRINCESS BRIDE ------------------------------ From: "Andrew" Organization: northland.edu Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:50:43 -0600 Subject: Re: Crappy Music > I think I Ching said it best "I do not hate, hatred only binds one closer to > the hated object" > > (just so everybody knows, I stole this right from the .sig of someone on this > list) Woo Woo!! that was mine. Thank you. :) =8^) Andrew McAninch O- "In wildness is the preservation of the world" -HDT ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: New Online Music Store (no list content) Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 17:07:39 18000 > > Dear List Owner: > > If this announcement was accidently posted to your list as opposed to > just the owner, please forgive the intrusion. I have used the mailing > list directory at http://www.nova.edu/Inter-Links as a reference. > > I am emailing you on behalf of a new online venture, CD Universe. We are > in the midst of the roll-out for our website which features over 180,000 > CDs and cassettes at the lowest prices on the 'net. And so forth..... yeah right.... OBTRUSIVE MARKET PLOY! ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:12:58 -0400 Subject: Re: Crappy Music In a message dated 96-04-15 14:29:14 EDT, some guy wrote: >For example, an album that stayed on the Billboard top 500 for 10 years >(but never got above 100) would have a higher rating that one that hit >#1 for a single week, and was only on the top 500 for 3 months. well, I don't think recordsales count for anything regard when, with the majority of artists people just buy a single, listen to it for a few days and then hide it in their closet when everybody else label the band "sellout" "wow, I didn't go cynical until I was 30" Mike Doonesbury (this isn't the exact quote) ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:22:00 -0400 Subject: Re: New Online Music Store (no list content) In a message dated 96-04-15 17:18:30 EDT, tomhare@freenet.tlh.fl.us (Tom Hare) writes: >> Dear List Owner: >> >> If this announcement was accidently posted to your list as opposed to >> just the owner, please forgive the intrusion. I have used the mailing >> list directory at http://www.nova.edu/Inter-Links as a reference. >> >> I am emailing you on behalf of a new online venture, CD Universe. We are >> in the midst of the roll-out for our website which features over 180,000 >> CDs and cassettes at the lowest prices on the 'net. > > And so forth..... yeah right.... OBTRUSIVE MARKET PLOY! EVERYBODY!!! FLOOD THESE BASTARDS WITH HATE MAIL!!! ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: T-Shirt.!?*@$ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 17:29:34 18000 ------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT----- ------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT----- ------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT------T-SHIRT----- Okay. Here's the scoop. I'm taking on the nice lovely burden of hosting the T-shirt contest voting..... oh joy. I will, tonight, create a Web site, email account, and FTP directory for people to upload, give ideas, and vote and stuff for the OFFICIAL They Might Be Giants Mailing List T-Shirt design/slogan. And here's the addresses for you guys! Please, treat them with the respect a tmbger should have! ------ The EMAIL address for brainstorming anything will be:---------- smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu (already works) ------ The HTTP WWW address for voting/viewing designs and slogans will be: ------------------ http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html (doesn't work quite yet) ------ The FTP address ONLY for upload shirt designs for the page will be: -------------------- freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login:smeaj pw:pithon9 dir:/tshirt/ (This is JUST for GRAPHICAL T-shirt designs. Ideas go to the email address) (works already) -- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:40:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Mary Ellen Subject: Clarissa Hello everyone! OK, I may just be the only insane one who has ever seen the show "Clarissa Explains It All" It's one of those Nickelodeon wacky teenage gal kind of shows. I'm not all that proud of admitting that I have seen it on more than one occasion but ANYWAY, I remember watching the show a few years ago, I think in 92, and she (She being *Clarissa*) mentioned something about TMBG. I can't remember what she said and I wanted to know if any of you know what I'm talking about. This was around the same time that TMBG was mentioned and played on Tiny Toons. (I swear my life does not revolve around watching shows made for children.) Someone please help me. I know I'm not making this up. Thanks. Have a good day! ~~~~~~MaryEllen~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: T-Shirt.>>>>??? Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 17:50:24 18000 Ooops.... if this is a repeat message, I'm sorry. Something led me to believe my last one didnt reach the list. Ahem. I am taking on the effort of hosting the T-Shirt design forum for the Official Mailing List T-Shirt. I'm gonna have 3 address for mailing ideas, submitting designs, and voting and such. Here they go WEB: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For voting. Not functional QUITE yet. FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login:smeaj pw:pithon9 dir:/tshirt/ For submitting GRAPHICAL shirt designs only. EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas, votes for the html inhibited, and stuff. This is where you should give ideas for slogans and shirt designs, if you're not a great artisty type. Okay.... again sorry if this is a repeat. Please treat my stuff with respect. These were created just for the voting process, and not much else. Okay please, participate if you've got any ideas!!! -- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:03:08 -0500 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: textiletown Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > if this all works out, are we all going to download it and get it made > ourselves or send money to that guy with the shirt shop? What would be > cheaper? If you send me the money, I can get us high-quality silkscreened shirts, much higher quality & cheaper than each of us bringing a copy of an image to a shop and having them make one up. The early estimates I have are about $10-$15, including shipping...right now I only have about 20 requests for shirts, any amout 50 or more would make them at the lower end of the price I quoted. The "vote on the design" web page is a good idea...and whatever gets decided on, that person should send me thier original artwork (rolled...not folded) so I can get the highest quality. The design will probably need to be held to 3 or 4 colors...but I'll have to check on that. Till later & feel free to e-mail me for info and to request a shirt. Mike -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Hello Recording Club. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:23:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: I can't believe I took the damn test Yes, kids I broke down and took the test. I am probably a little mor incredulous than the rest of you, since it seems like everyone is jumping on that proverbial bandwagon. I wasn't going to take the personality test, the imitation M-B one, I think it's Keirsey or something. But I did it. It was really very intriguing, and I think everyone should do it. If you don't agree with it at least you will learn something about yourself. I am an ENFX, but I think I favor ENFP I see I am one of the few extroverts on this list, but that doesn't really say anything because it has to do with more than the usual definition of introvert and extrovert Okay, enough non-TMBG related shit. But it is TMBG FAN related, eh? ---Nola---Extroverted iNtuitive Feeling P (can't remember what P is) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:37:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: My two projects (NOT dads) Ok, I have two ideas. One, I want some input on regarding feasibility/originality. I would like to try to get together a tape of all versions of all the songs They have played in concert. Now, this only means 2 versions of Their own songs. It would be the best version from just the 2 Johns and their tape recorder (or whatever), and then the best version from their full band appearances (excluding songs from Back to Skull and on, of course). It would be all songs that they have released and also played in concert. Now, A) How possible is this? B) Has it been done before? If this is a good idea, I'll post my address and a way to get the tapes to me. Second, send me votes for your second favorite band, to be put on a top 10 list. Although this is mostly for me and my friends' interest, I'll post the results. You can vote for 3 bands, and votes should be in by April 30th. (This is more of a survey thing than a contest, but whatever). Thanks for the help, RS ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:44:07 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: Clarissa On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Mary Ellen wrote: > Hello everyone! OK, I may just be the only insane one who has ever > seen the show "Clarissa Explains It All" It's one of those Nickelodeon > wacky teenage gal kind of shows. I'm not all that proud of admitting > that I have seen it on more than one occasion but ANYWAY, I remember > watching the show a few years ago, I think in 92, and she (She being > *Clarissa*) mentioned something about TMBG. I can't remember what she > said and I wanted to know if any of you know what I'm talking about. > This was around the same time that TMBG was mentioned and played on Tiny > Toons. (I swear my life does not revolve around watching shows made for > children.) Someone please help me. I know I'm not making this up. > Thanks. Have a good day! > ~~~~~~MaryEllen~~~~~~ > Well...I am not sure exactly, but I bet it had something to do with the "Flood" album. It seems that most people (that are not big fans) like some of the songs from that album, such as Particle Man. In fact I know people that like "Flood" and hate everything else. It is a mystery to me. Charlemagne! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 15:13:56 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: t-shirts I think the t-shirt scheme is a fabulous idea! I just wanted to throw this thought in: it seems the design should probably be something original - if an existing design is used, it might run afoul of some wretched copyright law somewhere somehow (just ask the folks at my local Kinko's). Besides, with so many artistically talented people on this list (me *not* being one of them, according to my college drawing professor), there's bound to be a veritable cornucopia of groovin' designs. How will we ever choose? SuzyB, who draws a pretty darn good stick figure. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:28:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Clarissa On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Mary Ellen wrote: > Hello everyone! OK, I may just be the only insane one who has ever > seen the show "Clarissa Explains It All" It's one of those Nickelodeon > wacky teenage gal kind of shows. I'm not all that proud of admitting > that I have seen it on more than one occasion but ANYWAY, I remember > watching the show a few years ago, I think in 92, and she (She being > *Clarissa*) mentioned something about TMBG. I can't remember what she > said and I wanted to know if any of you know what I'm talking about. > This was around the same time that TMBG was mentioned and played on Tiny > Toons. (I swear my life does not revolve around watching shows made for > children.) Someone please help me. I know I'm not making this up. > Thanks. Have a good day! > ~~~~~~MaryEllen~~~~~~ > Unfortunately, I know the answer to this. I saw the episode. I used to watch it. I was young. I thought she was cute. And she liked TMBG. On the first episode, (yes I even know that it was the first one) she was describing herself to the viewers, and said that her favorite band is They Might Be Giants. Then a little John & John pic appeared in the corner of the screen appeared, And the first few bars of Ana Ng played. For the entire first season, she had a small They poster on the camera side of her bed, but it mysteriously vanished after that. I'm going to go now. I would like to think that you all will pity me for this, and possibly a few more of you will come out and reveal yourselves in an attempt to console me after this traumatory experience. BUT, you'll probably just laugh at me. And I thought you were my friends. --Anonymous http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:26:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: lots o' things. Chris Bongaarts writes: > Greg Galcik (a former list regular; dunno if he's still on here) made > some Spider and Blue Thing shirts. A few may still be available: i'm so glad someone else remembers these. My roomate stole my Spider shirt, but I still have some of the other shirts Greg made, since we used to call a lot of the same local BBSes and he'd sell them to us at the BBS picnics.. his shirts rule. The Blue Thing one is especially cool.. and the best thing is, they're pretty cheap, or at least, they used to be four years ago.. heh. (To whomever I forgot to reply to about the argument - this leads into what I was about to bring up..) about copyright infringements - I know Greg had a bunch of problems with the Spider shirt, enough so that Jamie Kitman (a manager of TMBG) actually sent him mail about royalties and other stuff.. The shirt basically was taken from a comic strip Greg drew at the time, where one week he had the lyrics to Spider illustrated, and decided it'd make a cool shirt.. if anyone went to any of the concerts on the Apollo tour in Philly, and got a flyer about the shirt or "Zweblo", well, that was Greg. Is he still out there? sigh... but at any rate, They got ahold of one of the flyers and apparently weren't too happy with him selling the shirts.. or something like that. > http://www.thoughtport.com/spinnwebe/catalog/ spinnwebe is awesome in general and everyone should check it out anyway. that reminds me - me and a friend of mine were thinking of putting together a tape of "TMB-sides Live" - and I was just wondering if any such thing existed already.. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG Omelette! Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 19:37:57 18000 Well... I just came up with a catchy slogan for the listee's shirt: Since i'ts the They Might be Giants Official Mailing List T-Shirt, it can be abbreviated (miraculously) to the TMBG OMLT, or OMeLeTte! That happened without my even knowing. So I guess that's a handy abbreviation for the shirt! You know, you could say things like "Hey! Cool TMBG Omelette you're wearing!" Oh well, just remember to keep working on your designs, and send 'em to me! ftp: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login:smeaj pw:pithon9 dir:/tshirt/ email: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu www: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html FTP for pics, WWW for votes, EMAIL for addresses. -- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:57:25 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The websites Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ Right now it's got tour dates. More to come. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 20:20:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: New Online Music Store (no list content) On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 96-04-15 17:18:30 EDT, tomhare@freenet.tlh.fl.us (Tom > Hare) writes: > > >> Dear List Owner: > >> > >> If this announcement was accidently posted to your list as opposed to > >> just the owner, please forgive the intrusion. I have used the mailing > >> list directory at http://www.nova.edu/Inter-Links as a reference. > >> > >> I am emailing you on behalf of a new online venture, CD Universe. We are > >> in the midst of the roll-out for our website which features over 180,000 > >> CDs and cassettes at the lowest prices on the 'net. > > > > And so forth..... yeah right.... OBTRUSIVE MARKET PLOY! > > EVERYBODY!!! FLOOD THESE BASTARDS WITH HATE MAIL!!! > No! Don't be ridiculous. The guy just wanted to give a message to the admins, and slipped up. Big deal. He provides a service, and wants to let us know about it - is that wrong? Yeesh... you folks can be so touchy sometimes..... Later, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:24:04 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: The Digest of Old The uncannily perceptive Chris Bongaarts observes: >In the immortal words of Matthew Coon: > >>The main thing that has changed is that (most of) the bugs have been >>worked out. When the list started to grow (I remember when we first broke >>100 subscribers) there were more and more bugs as Micah struggled with >>what seemed to be some sort of homebrew listserv. > >It was certainly odd in that mail was sent from a completely different >machine in a separate organization from where the list was managed >(i.e. you sent to super.org to subscribe but gnu.ai.mit.edu to post.) >Tres bizzare. > My recollection may be faulty, but I don't think it was always so. I think this split was part of a "refinement" in the list setup - an increased level of automation, or at least a response to some early difficulties. I think the move to super.org may have also marked the beginning of the auto-digested version of the list. Does anybody recall whether this is correct? (I'm not positive, as I have always preferred to manage my own digestion.) >Speaking of Micah, I wonder what happened to him. [...] > I've occasionally wondered about this myself... >>(Am I forgetting anything?) > >Yes. We're all married. ;) > Heh! I had forgotten. This ought to confuse the newer members...:-) (Apologies to my wife, whoever she was. I have a mind like a sieve.) m@t p.s. I suppose Honorable Mention in the Charisma category should be awarded to Haggis, who I don't think has been mentioned in any of these nostalgic little romps down memory lane. She seemed to have quite the popular following for a time... ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Mailing List T-Shirt! :) Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 20:26:29 18000 Okay.... the FTP and email addresses are working, and as soon as I get into school tomorrow (8:30 eastern) so will the web page. Of course, I don't have any designs yet, so whenever ya get one, send it to me! The addresses are at the bottom. I have the page with the form set up and ready, except without designs. I'll make one or two, and when I get some more, I'll put the actual page up! -Tom I guess (Addresses follow) -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- P.S. This is just starting, haven't got any designs yet! :( ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:28:16 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: web space On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > I got almost unlimited web space (temporary)... like 1100 megs, if that > > would be helpful... > 1100 MB of space? How do you get so much? Got your own server or > something? Kinda. One company I work for doesn't give their programmers quotas. Oh well. --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 20:29:59 E From: grazioli@marywood1.marywood.edu Subject: test and tshirt I will try and get a tshirt design done as soon as possible, but I have about a million things to do for my classes...so my submission may be a bit late. Anyway, I took the damn personality test too, I'm a INFJ....fellow Infjers, let us unite and take our Introverted, Intuitive Feeling Judging asses and rule the world. Um, just kidding. Tracy, who spent the afternoon playing freeze tag with 6 year olds :) ------------------------------ From: NyQuil67@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:09:06 -0400 Subject: TMBG concert I've never been to a TMBG concert before but I think that I'm going to the one in Chicago next month. I just need someone to tell me how I can get tickets for that. Also what is this personality test thing? and where can I find it? Adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:26:16 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: Spiralling Shape Woah, weird, i went to see James and the Giant Peach yesterday...i noticed that too!!!!!!!!!!!!! > I also saw James and the Giant Peach this weekend, and I swear that >John Flansburgh is in that movie! If you go see it, look for him near the >end. He is one of the reporters on the telephone, making a call about a >giant peach. > >Scott > >........................................................................... ..... > > > >( AMY)< ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:52:38 +1000 (EST) Subject: Re: THE TOP 20 (22) > The Top Twenty-Two: >=20 > ties broken alphabetically > (# of Votes) >=20 > 22. Violent Femmes (12) > 21. Rocky and Bullwinkle (12) > 20. Pulp Fiction (12) > 19. Mr. Bean (12) > 18. Seinfeld (13) > 17. Coffee (13) > 16. The Beatles (13) > 15. Douglas Adams (13) > 14. Saturday Night Live '75-'79 (14) > 13. Red Dwarf (14) > 12. Reading (14) > 11. Dave Barry (14) > 10. "Weird Al" Yankovic (15) > 9. Star Wars (16) > 8. The Muppets (16) > 7. The Simpsons (17) > 6. Calvin and Hobbes (17) > 5. Animaniacs (17) > 4. MST 3K (18) > 3. Far Side (19) > 2. Monty Python (20) >=20 > And the #1 thing that TMBG fans tend to have in common=8A >=20 > With 22 votes.... >=20 > THE PRINCESS BRIDE >=20 >=20 >=20 AHHHH!!!!! I didn't vote, but THAT is my ALL TIME FAVOURITEIST MOVIE=20 EVER!!!!!!! that is so cool. I had no idea that it was so popular. Now I know why I=20 like all you guys so much... Andrew C ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:04:42 -0700 From: bartush@ix.netcom.com (MATTHEW W BARTUSH) Subject: TMBG covers A few days ago, as random thoughts were making their way through my mind, I began thinking about all of the cover songs TMBG have done. We all know them - "Whirlpool," "Why Does The Sun Shine?" "Istanbul" and the like. But then I wondered: How many bands have covered TMBG songs? The only one I've ever come across is "Particle Man" which was covered by The Bobs (an L.A. based a capella group). Incidentally, though I usually love The Bobs, and I obviously like "Particle Man" the cover version kind of sucks. Does anyone know of any other bands covering TMBG songs? And I'm referring mainly to available recordings or well-known bands covering them in concert. Just wondering. By the way, I'm an INTP. And, yes, I would pay good money for a T-shirt if someone were to make them (although, by the time they showed up in concert in Sacramento, I'd probably have worn it out!). Matt in Sacramento (feeling left out of all the fun back East). ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:25:43 -0400 Subject: Re: concert Yes, there is a concert in Chicago (at the U of Chicago to be exact) on May 18th. The only problem is that the tickets are only for University students. I am trying to get tixs from a friend that goes there, but no one on campus has heard of the show just yet. By the way, I found I Palindrome I and Back to Skull EP's at a used CD store-both only for $3! Great deal!! Katie ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:54:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: My Answering Machine I have TMBG on my answering machine now! (Gee, now there's a novel concept...They Might Be Giants on an answering machine.) I put the beginning of "Destination Moon" on my message: "Don't bother to call this room / There's nobody here who can pick up". Pretty clever, if I do say so myself. Just thought I'd share. :) Staring into the subliminal, --Tara (for as long as I can) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:29:57 -0700 From: bartush@ix.netcom.com (MATTHEW W BARTUSH) Subject: Particle Man "Particle Man" and I somehow felt myself over them for the most part... The other night I was watching a PBS special about R. Buckminster Fuller (a 20th-century genius of science, design, mathematics, philosophy, etc.) and they played a clip from one of his lectures. At the end of the clip he said something regarding man fullfilling his role on earth and ascending to become "Universe Man." Dolt that I am, I probably would have missed it, but my wife started singing "Universe Man, Universe Man." Strange how the wheels, once thought dormant, can begin to creep ever-so-slowly into motion again. I thought of a story I read regarding Bucky Fuller, about how he always had three watches set at three different times: One for the time zone he was in; One for the time zone into which he was heading; and One for the time zone he had just left. ("He's got a watch with a minute hand, a millenium hand, and an eon hand") It was back! Yet another interpretation intent on gripping my mind! I recalled yet another Fuller quote: "Specialization is for insects." (Particle Man, Particle Man, doing the things a Particle can. What's he like? It's not important") Then, much to my horror, I recalled the basis for much of Fuller's geometric design - the TRIANGLE! ("Triangle Man, Triangle Man, Triangle Man hates Particle Man. They have a fight, Triangle wins. Triangle Man") What does this all MEAN? Absolutely nothing of course, but it's still enough to drive me batty! Sorry for the long post, but I had to try to get this off my chest. Matt in Sacramento "Listen to this warning and consider these simple words of advice: stop, stop, stop" - TMBG, Spiralling Shape ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:38:25 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Hearing Aid Am I the only person that likes the song "Hearing Aid". Nobody else I know does, but I think it sounds pretty cool. < H /\ R L E /\/\ /\ G /\/ E ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:26:55 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> I've just had a nifty little TMBG experience... First, to appreciate this, you need to understand that in Nebraska, TMBG fans are painfully few and far between. The only people I know who like Them are either people who were introduced to Them by me or else they originally came from someplace else where They are appreciated more. Anyway, I'm sitting here in the computer lab, reading my digest and telling my friend about how depressing it is that all these people on the list get to go to so many concerts. My friend could care less; she's just putting up with my babbling. But as soon as I utter the words "They Might Be Giants," this total stranger next to me exclaims, "WOW! I LOVE They Might Be Giants!!!!" It was a lot like I imagine it might be if you were in a foreign country and you happen across someone who speaks your language. I was even more elated when I found out that she wasn't just one of those "um, yeah, I know a couple of songs off of Flood" fans either. It was cool. OK, so this probably isn't a big deal to most of you. See, when you discover a kindred TMBG spirit in Nebraska, it's a big deal indeed. When you see someone wearing a TMBG shirt, you don't just walk by and go, "Hey. Nice shirt." No, no, no. You say something like "OhmygodILOVETheyMightBeGiantsIthoughtIwastheonlyonethisissodamncoolWOW!" Really. Whenever anyone comments on one of my TMBG t-shirts, they either say, "What's Dial-a-Song? Is They Might Be Giants, like, a band or something?" or else they freak out as described above. So, does anyone else from the boonies have similar experiences? Oh, and about the list-folk T-shirt idea--Definitely a good idea. That way, if They dare to venture somewhere west of Chicago ever again, I might get to meet some other isolated Midwest listers. Or, if I ever am lucky enough again to visit a place over spring break where they just so happen to be playing, like I was this year...(which reminds me--thank you, Brooks, for all the helpful info you gave me about the Mercury Lounge shows!) I'm thinkin' that the east coast is sounding pretty good for grad school... --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:07:37 -0500 (CDT) From: Adam Procter Subject: Re: Hearing Aid At 10:38 PM 4/15/96 -0400, you wrote: > > > > Am I the only person that likes the song "Hearing Aid". Nobody else >I know does, but I think it sounds pretty cool. > > > < H /\ R L E /\/\ /\ G /\/ E I think it's pretty cool... sounds like it could be me singin' it too. :-) -- Adam Procter aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4386/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 23:21:30 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: My Answering Machine Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > > I have TMBG on my answering machine now! (Gee, now there's a novel > concept...They Might Be Giants on an answering machine.) I put the > beginning of "Destination Moon" on my message: "Don't bother to call > this room / There's nobody here who can pick up". Pretty clever, if I do > say so myself. Just thought I'd share. :) > Yes that is pretty clever, as I did same thing, same part of the song and evrything, a couple months ago, and it is still thier. That particluar part of that of that song seems to fit the task very well. Just thought you'd like to know. -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/ The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site & Mailing List Admin Check it out @ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar" -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 23:32:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Popularity. I just think it's weird that TMBG fans seem to think of TMBG fandom as some kind of odd underground movement. Unpopular bands don't put out five albums and play in large clubs across the country. I think what it comes down to is that you can't tell a TMBG fan simply by looking at one. They don't always wear T-shirts. -The positive side of their popularity is, of course, the fact that they can concentrate on their music and put out five great albums that are easily attainable (just try to get your hands on a Prince Buster album). On the other hand, their shows have turned into horrible slam-fests full of MTV guzzling idiots. Wouldn't it be great if a band like TMBG (meaning the relatively few with real talent) could remain comletely unpopular but still make music as a full time job? But, as Professor Haskins says, nothing in the modern age is accomplished without money as the driving force. Sigh... -The ever cynical Slacker Ng P.S. On the whole Nickelodeon thing, is it true that the Johns once hosted a show called "Nick Rocks"? And if so, have any tapes survived? ------------------------------ From: NyQuil67@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 23:36:21 -0400 Subject: top 5 favorites I wanna do a poll on everyone's top 5 favorite songs. Just to see what are the most well-liked TMBG songs around. So if you want to respond please write down your 5 favorite songs in order and I will post the results next weekend. Adam Will I ever meet my evil twin???? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:37:07 -0500 (CDT) From: jenny Subject: Re: TMBG covers On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, MATTHEW W BARTUSH wrote: > Does anyone know of any other bands covering TMBG songs? And I'm > referring mainly to available recordings or well-known bands covering > them in concert. Just wondering. Well, Hagfish, a punk-ish band from Dallas, I believe, has done a cover of "Twisting," and it's on their EP for "Happiness." I don't know if this one is available in the US yet, or if it would still be an import. And another Texas band, Plum, did a cover of "Ana Ng" for a K-NACK (Austin radio station) cover cd called "Deja Phooey." Now, if that makes any sense whatsoever... -jenny, who just got out of class. forgive her for not being coherent. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 23:37:39 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Re: My Answering Machine I used that on my answering machine for a bit, but people kept complaining that it was too long and they didn't like sitting through the whole thing. So I changed it. But I still think it was one of the coolest messages I had. No one appreciates art these days. ************************************************************************** "The call me Mr. Knowitall, I am so eloquent. Perfection is my middle name and whatever rhymes with eloquent." - Les Claypool M.C.I. of "This Show Sucks" fame. Fridays 9-11 am ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 00:15:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: My Answering Machine My answering machine currently says: "Leave me alone, leave me alone!" I'm singing it, however. My answering machine often has fragments of Fingertips sang by me. Other favorites: Please Pass the Milk Please, and What's That Blue Thing Doing Here? I don't get many messages. --Jack Curley, an ex-Clarissa watcher who doesn't feel so alone anymore:) Thanks, guys! ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 07:35:02 +0200 >Just some random musings.... > >1. How is it that you get a song that you absoultely hate stuck in your head? > >2. Why is it that that song that you hate always is a hit? > >Case in point: Smashing Pumpkins....How many of y'all have gotten that >STUPID "DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A RAT IN A CAGE!" stuck in your >head? Erm, your remembering this song may not be completely unconnected to the imaginative chorus.....(please affect Billy Corgan voice at this point): "Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage, Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage, Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a (please pause then shout in anguish) CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE, Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a, Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a, Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage." I think this may have something to do with it, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to say? PS - Just for the record, I rather like the song, sorry. Oh yeah - don't be having a go at The Proclaimers. Anyone who can wear British National Health Glasses and STILL get a hit has earned our respect! Keith "How can you lie back and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team??" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-107 ******************************