Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-108 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 108 Wednesday, 17 April 1996 Today's Topics: E-town spin the dial Re: concert Re: My Answering Machine Re: lots o' things. Re: The Digest of Old Re: Fwd: Elementary school science project (fwd) Maudlin T-shirts 'n stuff Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 (none) Re: t-shirts & copyrights Re: TMBG covers Re: My Answering Machine Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 That t-shirt..... spiraling shape Re: My Answering Machine Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 Re: TMBG covers Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 Re: Clarissa Re: Popularity. Re: top 5 favorites t-shirt slogans E-town setlist Hearing aid (and boy, do I need one) T-Shirt Ideahhhs Re: The Digest of Old Re: TMBG covers Re: T-shirts 'n stuff Re: Clarissa T-Shirt Slogan more shirt stuff shirts Wood Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 yes, the damn personality test again briggs-myers (sp?) WOWZA!!! (i just felt like saying that) T-SHIRTS. Continuing T-Shirt News Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 Re: TMBG concert Re: t-shirts & copyrights FNM Re: more shirt stuff Re: TMBG covers The Flood/Tshirt argument continued... Re: FNM Re: top 5 favorites Re: TMBG concert Re: more shirt stuff Re: My Answering Machine Re: Cover our naked bodies with TMBG! Re: TMBG concert Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:13:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: E-town spin the dial Okay, I promised it so here goes: the following is the improv Flans did when he spun the dial and came across Bon Jovi's Blaze Of Glory: Six gun in one hand Six pack in the other I told that man I am Bon Jovi and he said to me "Mr. Bon Jovi, these are the only cassettes we sell in the store." I said to him, I need to get some cassettes Maxell XL IIs, preferably, do you have any idea who I am? And the man behind the counter said, "Yes I do, you're the worst band in the world." After the show we went to a McDonald's in Elizabethtown which for some reason was closing at eleven o'clock. Anyway I wore my Pearl t shirt and the girl behind the counter said something like "I've been seeing a lot of those shirts with They Might Be Giants. What does it mean?" I said well,it's a rock band , they just did a show, I'm sure you've heard some of their songs, Istanbul, Particle Man... She shook her head. "Right over my head," she said. Uh huh, I said, well, get their albums, you'll like them. And then I left. Mike. And now: SEXUAL INNUENDO IN "THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY" (1957) PART ONE. -"Quit fooling around and get back to rolling that stuff into little balls." -"My stack is nearly twice as big as yours." -"Sam, do you know where the next part of this experiment will be carried out?" "Where?" "In the darkest closet you can find." -"Okay, Dad, shoot." -"What's this instrument called, Dad?" -"Seems simple enough," Randy remarked. "It is--now that you know how to do it." -He left about an inch protruding from the top of the cork. -Randy rubbed faster and faster. The silk began to crackle. -"Swell!" Both boys exclaimed. Randy added cautiously, "it won't be expensive, will it?" -"Let me know how it comes out!" -Randy growled and flicked him with the towel. -"This isn't going to make any mess, is it?" "No, Mom. You can watch it, if you like." Next: Randy and Sam blow up the world!!! http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~alex always free, never busy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 06:39:01 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: concert On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 KTUCKER3@aol.com wrote: > Yes, there is a concert in Chicago (at the U of Chicago to be exact) on > May 18th. The only problem is that the tickets are only for University > students. I am trying to get tixs from a friend that goes there, but no one > on campus has heard of the show just yet. > By the way, I found I Palindrome I and Back to Skull EP's at a used CD > store-both only for $3! Great deal!! > Katie > I never hear of Back to Skull. I never saw it at my local Record Mart. Where could I get a copy? Charlemagne ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 06:53:51 -0400 Subject: Re: My Answering Machine >I have TMBG on my answering machine now! (Gee, now there's a novel >concept...They Might Be Giants on an answering machine.) I put the >beginning of "Destination Moon" on my message: "Don't bother to call >this room / There's nobody here who can pick up". Pretty clever, if I do >say so myself. Just thought I'd share. :) I do too! I haven't had any messages since, but a few people have me they hung up as soon as they heard "those damn Giants" . Kay, who's favorite "Spiralling Shape" quote is, "This could lead to exellence/or serious injury." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:37:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Bird Subject: Re: lots o' things. On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Deanna Rubin wrote: > Chris Bongaarts writes: > > Greg Galcik (a former list regular; dunno if he's still on here) made > > some Spider and Blue Thing shirts. A few may still be available: > > i'm so glad someone else remembers these. My roomate stole my Spider > shirt, but I still have some of the other shirts Greg made, since we > used to call a lot of the same local BBSes and he'd sell them to us at > the BBS picnics.. his shirts rule. The Blue Thing one is especially > cool.. and the best thing is, they're pretty cheap, or at least, they > used to be four years ago.. heh. > I kept meaning to order one of these, but I never had the money! Those were some COOL looking shirts. I'll have to check out his page and see if he still has them... Bob (another list oldie) -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:47:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Bird Subject: Re: The Digest of Old On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Matthew Coon wrote: > >It was certainly odd in that mail was sent from a completely different > >machine in a separate organization from where the list was managed > >(i.e. you sent to super.org to subscribe but gnu.ai.mit.edu to post.) > >Tres bizzare. > > > My recollection may be faulty, but I don't think it was always so. > I think this split was part of a "refinement" in the list setup - an > increased level of automation, or at least a response to some > early difficulties. > You're not faulty. :) One of my older accounts in fact still has a mail alias for sending to the list at gnu.ai.mit.edu. Super.org was meant to simplify the subscription process, but unfortunately their copy of Majordomo was broken and nobody could unsubscribe! Unfortunately I don't seem to have any old list messages lying around. Not sure about the auto-digestion, as I've been on the insti-list the whole time (never could stand digests! Too hard to delete what I don't want to read!) since sometime in 1992, I believe. > > p.s. I suppose Honorable Mention in the Charisma category should > be awarded to Haggis, who I don't think has been mentioned > in any of these nostalgic little romps down memory lane. > She seemed to have quite the popular following for a time... > What ever happened to Haggis, anyway? I still think that should have been the name of the last album... :) Bob -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:25:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Cynthia Steinke Subject: Re: Fwd: Elementary school science project (fwd) Hi, hope this makes it. I am 42 years old, work for 2 libraries. This internet stuff is new to me. I have trouble with E-mail addresses. I live in Columbus, Ohio My daughter lives at Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio. She sent me your message. Get an A+ on your project! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:36:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Maudlin What's with Amy's nose? Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:37:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Bryan Shelton Subject: T-shirts 'n stuff Hey all, I've been reading the list, just been really busy with work and school (Bryan Might Be Graduating) but I really do like the T-shirt idea. I'd also vote for the letterbox design (at least with words). It would be cool if we came up with a few word phrases to choose from that would be acceptable to everyone so that the contest would be fair...for instance: 1.You'll never know what you'll find when you open up the letter box tomorrow 2.Don't know how I got the inspiration or how I wrote the words... 3.And for the title, how about we use: The World's Address Any commments? I also think we could probably get a dedicated person to make them (with a color inkjet, t-shirt tranfer paper, and the ability to get some Hefty-T's, and Print Shop Deluxe (which prints in reverse) oh and and iron), but there actually may be a better way to do it.... Always thinking, always cooking up an angle, Bryan _______________________________________________________________________________ * Bryan Shelton Rutgers University - Electrical Engineering, 1996 * * bshelton@eden.rutgers.edu URL: http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~bshelton * ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \___ A woman came up to me and said I'd like to poison your mind... ___/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:45:12 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 First of all, what is this about insulting Alanis and her fans?? I just don't understand it... This is what i think about the tee-shirt: I think that the design should either be an original one or a scene from one of the videos, like someone else suggested. Maybe it can be a depiction of whatever quote we end up using. Oh, and that quote should NOT be from Flood! A great deal of people who've listened to TmBg have only listened to Flood, and it is way to well known. Something from Lincoln or TmBg would be best...or maybe something from Misc. T. Okay, now here is my take on this silly music discussion ppl are having. Do you guys think a song like, say, Bullet With Butterfly Wings is any more catch than any of our TmBg songs? Say...Ana NG? No way in hell! Now, the reason you dislike it is probably either because you just don't like the music, or you are prejudiced against popular music just because it is popular...(a common desease that should be put out of it's misery). And who was making fun of the classic 500 miles?? That has got to be one of the greatest songs of all time... The proclaimers are a great band, if that's the only song you've heard by them, smarten up and buy an album! When TmBg gets overwhelmingly popular they will have gigantic #1 hit singles, and there will be scads of people who can't stand them and think exactly of them that you think of some of todays hitss....hell there are many people already that find TmBg extremely annoying because they are so catchy and have such 'cute' music. Oh, and i never stop listening to something if it falls out of popularity. I bought the James single 'laid' when it was all the rage and still listen to it today, same with 500 miles and Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm... Anyone that listens to popular music to be cool and moves along with the crowd must have a really personality problem. Anyway, sorry for the long bit of yelling:) I'll try to stop myself from doing it again in the future:) So anyway, quit dissing good music:) Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu "I got the gestures and sounds, got the timing down, It's uncanny, yeah, you'd think it was me... I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five, 'Best Imitation of Myself' *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:07:46 -0500 (CDT) From: jenny Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 > using. Oh, and that quote should NOT be from Flood! A great deal of people > who've listened to TmBg have only listened to Flood, and it is way to well > known. Something from Lincoln or TmBg would be best...or maybe something > from Misc. T. > Grrrr. I don't understand why people have a problem with other people listening to TMBG. I would think we'd like some recognition for our Johns. Flood was my first exposure to Them, the first TMBG album I bought, and it's my favorite. If we can find something that will hook the average Joe or Josephine to TMBG, we should go with it, if only to spread the love of Brooklyn's Ambassadors everywhere. That is all. -jenny, who's not afraid to admit that she's really not all that cool. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:26:09 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 >> using. Oh, and that quote should NOT be from Flood! A great deal of people >> who've listened to TmBg have only listened to Flood, and it is way to well >> known. Something from Lincoln or TmBg would be best...or maybe something >> from Misc. T. >> >Grrrr. I don't understand why people have a problem with other people >listening to TMBG. I would think we'd like some recognition for our >Johns. Flood was my first exposure to Them, the first TMBG album I bought, >and it's my favorite. If we can find something that will hook the >average Joe or Josephine to TMBG, we should go with it, if only to spread >the love of Brooklyn's Ambassadors everywhere. That is all. > Ok, i felt i really had to respond to this. #1, what we are doing is finding a good quote for the t-shirts for list-members...it should be something we recognize, and not be something that is widely in circulation...don't you think that would be better? We're not trying to spread tmbg with this project,we are trying to create a cool symbol to reconize other tmbg fanatics from the list... #2, there are three types of ppl in the world. the first are people who won't even give tmbg a chance, that think they are childish, etc... the second type are people who hear/buy flood, think it is really cool and everything because it is Their most commercial album, this is to be expected. these types are not interested in other tmbg music, it just isn't for them...they might hear a little bit more of it but are not impressed. this is because they like the sounds of flood, not the cleverness and general sounds of they might be giants. the fact that they like flood does not mean they like they might be giants the third type of person is that of you, me, and most of the people on this list. most of us probably got hooked on tmbg through flood (i did), but flood is just one tiny corner of the tmbg world. we like they might be giants, not some of what they make, but themselves, what they stand for. I agree that flood is the album to give to prospective fans(many of them anyway), but that is not what we are trying to do with this project. also, flood is over played, and i tend to be a bit sick of it, as many people i've talked to are...i tried to avoid this, but it happened..i'm trying to listen to it as little as possible to get the magic back, and i think i'll be able to do it:) *deep intake of breath* so there you go. flood is good, all tmbg is good. we want something little-known... argh, 2 long messages in a row, whatever will i do? Listen to some Ben Folds Five of course!! Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu "I got the gestures and sounds, got the timing down, It's uncanny, yeah, you'd think it was me... I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five, 'Best Imitation of Myself' *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:36:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Judith Gandee Dear Science Fair Student, I just heard about your project from one of my former students. She is still a student, but now she is in college and we frequently e-mail. As a former teacher/librarian, I have done lots of science fair research with my students. I am glad to help in any way possible. I am currently a reference librarian at the Westland Area Library, in Columbus, Ohio. My name is Judith A. Gandee and I salute your efforts! Judy Gandee ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:45:24 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: t-shirts & copyrights On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Hefley, Paula wrote: > I just wanted to throw this thought in: it seems the design should > probably be something original - if an existing design is used, it > might run afoul of some wretched copyright law somewhere somehow (just > ask the folks at my local Kinko's). Besides, with so many > artistically talented people on this list (me *not* being one of them, > according to my college drawing professor), there's bound to be a > veritable cornucopia of groovin' designs. How will we ever choose? Also, if we use a line from a song, careful since that's copyrighted too. "They" may let us, but who would contact them? I like "the world's address" for the email address _&_ homepage (we HAVE to have the homepage as well, probably on the bottom of the back, like it is in commercials on tv). I think we should take something from Lincoln or Their self-titled album, since many non-Giants enthusiasts don't listen to those albums. Maybe we should have a few quotes from their songs... a graphic? one on the front and one on the back. --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:09:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG covers On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, jenny wrote: > >Well, Hagfish, a punk-ish band from Dallas, I believe, has done a cover >of "Twisting," and it's on their EP for "Happiness." I don't know if >this one is available in the US yet, or if it would still be an import. > I was under the impression that bands from Dallas, were, in fact, American bands! I've never had to import anything from Dallas though so I could be wrong! Could someone explain this to me? -Wubba ewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewew "We love jokes in bad taste. |Eric Webber | They make us feel better about ourselves" |erwst9+@pitt.edu | -Conan O'Brien ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "We intend to offend and alarm and annoy" -The Penis Wolves ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:34:19 -0500 From: Katrina Hockin Subject: Re: My Answering Machine At 11:21 PM 4/15/96 -0400, you wrote: >Tara Lynne Weber wrote: >> >> I have TMBG on my answering machine now! (Gee, now there's a novel >> concept...They Might Be Giants on an answering machine.) I put the >> beginning of "Destination Moon" on my message: "Don't bother to call >> this room / There's nobody here who can pick up". Pretty clever, if I do >> say so myself. Just thought I'd share. :) >> > >Yes that is pretty clever, as I did same thing, same part of the song >and evrything, a couple months ago, and it is still thier. That >particluar part of that of that song seems to fit the task very well. >Just thought you'd like to know. > > >-- > Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- > http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/ > The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site & Mailing List Admin > Check it out @ http://jmurray.async.vt.edu/pritchard/ > Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org > "I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar" -TMBG > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------- "Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get." Forest Gump ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:37:53 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 Hi again everyone. I've recently decided to try out some new music and picked up Ben Folds Five and Moxy Fruvous' album 'Bargainville' the other day. There are some fans of these bands on the list aren't there? I am wondering one thing in particular, does Moxy Fruvous have a new album? Maybe one that is only released in canada...? BTW, I love them both, as well as the Pixies!! Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu "I got the gestures and sounds, got the timing down, It's uncanny, yeah, you'd think it was me... I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five, 'Best Imitation of Myself' *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:49:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: That t-shirt..... I think that the quote should be "Nothing's gonna change my clothes, ever anymore". Then we can get away with wearing it for weeks at a time..... Later, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:51:39 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: spiraling shape I just got the kids in the hall soundtrack, and the TMBG song is GREAT! It's so nice to hear something new from Them. I can't stop listening to it. My teachers are starting to complain. Liam, who used to hate hearing aid but now kind of likes it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:24:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: Re: My Answering Machine I personally like the Leave me alone part of fingertips Joe *--------------------------------------- "The greatest trick the Devil ever played was making people believe he didn't exist" - The Usual Suspects --------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:11:54 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 _____________________________________________________________________________ >I've just had a nifty little TMBG experience... > > >First, to appreciate this, you need to understand that in Nebraska, TMBG >fans are painfully few and far between. The only people I know who like >Them are either people who were introduced to Them by me or else they > >--Tara _____________________________________________________________________________ Tara-- where in Nebraska are you? jsut curious. I used to live in Grand Island. --Cyndi ****************************************************************************** >Well, Hagfish, a punk-ish band from Dallas, I believe, has done a cover >of "Twisting," and it's on their EP for "Happiness." I don't know if >this one is available in the US yet, or if it would still be an import. I saw Hagfish do this in concert opening for the Might Might Bosstones, and I practically FREAKED OUT!! Cyndi Batson ************ Northwestern University ph: 847-332-9052 c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:10:17 -0500 (CDT) From: jenny Subject: Re: TMBG covers On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Eric Webber wrote: > I was under the impression that bands from Dallas, were, in fact, > American bands! I've never had to import anything from Dallas though so I > could be wrong! Could someone explain this to me? They are! It's just that this ep wasn't produced in the US. I don't know where it was, but not here. Kind of like one of my Tripping Daisy cds is marked "made in France" on the cover. It's an import, but Tripping Daisy is from Dallas too. Go figure. -jenny, who really does understand geography. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:15:03 +0000 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 Speaker for the Dead wrote: I am wondering one thing in > particular, does Moxy Fruvous have a new album? Maybe one that is only > released in canada...? It's called Wood. Your local store may be able to order you a copy...I've got one. :)' -- Mike Schaefer University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Hello Recording Club. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 14:20:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: Clarissa I remember that! Clarissa was making some statement about how some things were cool and some were not, I think, and she said something like "They Might Be Giants? DEFINITELY cool!" The last time I have seen this episode was sometime last summer, before my brother left for college we had the "power hour of television"...first Clarissa then the Smipsons. Amanda ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Popularity. Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 14:05:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Cuper Vargas: >P.S. On the whole Nickelodeon thing, is it true that the Johns once >hosted a show called "Nick Rocks"? And if so, have any tapes survived? Yes. Bo had an audio file of the Sun Song They performed on that show on Dial-a-song Online for some time. I've got it at home somewhere; I'd put it up somewhere, but I don't know if Bo and/or TMBProd would appreciate it much :) -CB ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:14:39 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: top 5 favorites On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 NyQuil67@aol.com wrote: > I wanna do a poll on everyone's top 5 favorite songs. Just to see what are > the most well-liked TMBG songs around. So if you want to respond please write > down your 5 favorite songs in order and I will post the results next weekend. > > > Adam > > > > > > Will I ever meet my evil twin???? > Hearing Aid I Palindrome I Mammals Fingertips O, Do not Forsake Me Charlemagne ------------------------------ From: Llamagrrl@aol.com Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:57:23 -0400 Subject: t-shirt slogans why don't we just use an original mailing list quote? Or how about one of Tracy's famous TMBG top ten lists?Or something about FleshFest '96 in Oklahoma? Just an idea.... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:03:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: E-town setlist Hi everybody. All of a sudden PINE is underlining everything. Looks stupid. I wish I could make it stop but I can't. Oh well. Hopefully it all looks normal to all of you out there. Here are the songs played at the April 12 1996 Elizabethtown PA show. Older Twisting James K. Polk Ana Ng Meet James Ensor XTC Vs. Adam Ant Subliminal Spy Reprehensible Counterfeit Faker Spin The Dial (Jesus Jones, Bon Jovi) On The Drag S.E.X.X.Y. Why Does The Sun Shine? Don't Let's Start AKA Driver Particle Man Rat Patrol Spider Birdhouse In Your Soul Snail Shell Introducing The Band The Guitar They Got Lost Istanbul So there you go. And now...MORE SEXUAL INNUENDO FROM THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY (1957): -"This time I want to do it," Sam demanded. -"That seems funny, Dad." -Randy laughed. "Now you're just giving me the business." -"What a job to separate them!" Randy said. -"I see," said Sam. "Release the energy slowly--you get heat. Release it all at once, you get an explosion." -"The stuff!" Randy shouted. "It's here!" -"Is that so? You'll be coming around wanting me to help you five minutes after you get started." -"And I'll even be able to bend it if I soften it in boiling water a little." More to come. Mike. :-) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 96 12:48:56 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Hearing aid (and boy, do I need one) I'd like to add my support to the "Hearing Aid"-ers out there. I absolutely *love* the song, due especially to the fact that it segues into "MINIMUM WAAAAAAGE", both of which songs have special relevance to my employment situation these days. Oh, and one more thing: Regarding the "Flood" controversy, does it really matter what kind of bait you use, as long as you catch the fish? I have led most of my friends into the TMBG flock by making them a tape of the most "accessible" songs from all of the albums and urging them to REALLY listen carfully to what's going on in the music. Then, if they don't like it, I just beat them silly and move on to my next target. Usually, however, they come back for more, and the next thing I know they're rummaging around in record stores and winding up with more TMBG than *I* have. I agree with the person who stated that the most important thing is to get the message out. J&J have stated that they will continue to make the music they *want* to make, which music will inevitably pass right over the heads of the average Top-40 listening public, and consequently will probably never be a HUGE commercial success. But even if they were to have a #1 single, I say hallelujah because all of the extremely hard work they've been doing over the past 11 years will finally be paying off monetarily. As Flansburgh said in an interview I read recently, "I'm just looking forward to *being* a sellout." Hear, hear... Now, on the count of three, I'll snap my fingers and you will awaken. (and I'll step down from the pulpit) SuzyB, who has never been on the old "time is money" kick. ------------------------------ Subject: T-Shirt Ideahhhs Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:21:08 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts Note on copyright fears: The "fair use" clause of US copyright law looks kindly upon noncommercial and short quotes from copyrighted works. Thus, I would expect quoting two lines from a song would be acceptible, while using a copyrighted photo might be legally questionable. DISCLAIMER: the legal profession demands I inform you that I'm not a lawyer, and you should give them $$$ instead of trusting my advice. My Vision of the shirt: Labeling "They Might Be Giants" plus neato artwork with quote (I personally like the letterbox idea) on the front. On the back, in BIG BLOCK SOLID-COLOR GLOW-IN-THE-DARK lettering, simply www.tmbg.org split on three lines at the dots: Front: Back: /---\__/---\ /---\__/---\ |_| TMBG |_| |_| www. |_| | *pict* | | tmbg. | | qline1 | | org | | qline2 | | | -------- -------- I'd suggest putting some sort of disclaimer in small letters on the back so people don't get the idea that this is an Officially Supported and Sponsored Effort. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: The Digest of Old Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:26:50 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew Coon: >p.s. I suppose Honorable Mention in the Charisma category should > be awarded to Haggis, who I don't think has been mentioned > in any of these nostalgic little romps down memory lane. > She seemed to have quite the popular following for a time... Ahh, who could forget Haggis, the feisty redhead from down under? Would that there were more like her on this list :) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG covers Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:28:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of MATTHEW W BARTUSH: >Does anyone know of any other bands covering TMBG songs? And I'm >referring mainly to available recordings or well-known bands covering >them in concert. Just wondering. The TMBG Discography has a list of these. Look for it on www.tmbg.org. -CB ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:32:44 -0400 Subject: Re: T-shirts 'n stuff In a message dated 96-04-16 11:57:53 EDT, bshelton wrote: >3.And for the title, how about we use: The World's Address I think that on the back where it says the e-mail address "The World's Address:" should be right above... not that I actually added anything, but I still like "some one in a club tonight has stolen my ideas" "mass culture references" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:39:46 -0500 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Re: Clarissa Previous message: > Hello everyone! OK, I may just be the only insane one who has ever >seen the show "Clarissa Explains It All" It's one of those Nickelodeon >wacky teenage gal kind of shows. I'm not all that proud of admitting >that I have seen it on more than one occasion but ANYWAY, I remember >watching the show a few years ago, I think in 92, and she (She being >*Clarissa*) mentioned something about TMBG. I can't remember what she Probably... I've seent he show too and I she has a Flood poster in her room....but that IS a pretty dumb show... >said and I wanted to know if any of you know what I'm talking about. >This was around the same time that TMBG was mentioned and played on Tiny >Toons. (I swear my life does not revolve around watching shows made for I'm only 12, and Tiny Toons is actually where I first heard Them, but now I'm a big fan and I don't really watch cartoons anymore.... >children.) Someone please help me. I know I'm not making this up. >Thanks. Have a good day! > ~~~~~~MaryEllen~~~~~~ Braham Ketcham: Email: - hexagon@salamander.com - braham_ketcham@mail.decorah.k12.ia.us Web Site: - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:51:33 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: T-Shirt Slogan My submission for the back of the T-Shirt: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org alt.music.tmbg http://www.tmbg.org/ It's free when you 'Net from work! -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 18:47:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: more shirt stuff I was just thinking about the design thing, and that maybe we should put the mailing list address (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) instead of www.tmbg.org, cause we'd all look like walking at&t ads with web addresses on our backs. Just a thought. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 17:59:58 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: shirts On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > I was just thinking about the design thing, and that maybe we should put the > mailing list address (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) instead of www.tmbg.org, cause > we'd all look like walking at&t ads with web addresses on our backs. Just a > thought. I think we should put them both on the shirt (on the back) -- if the shirt is spiffy enough, it won't look like an AT&T ad, and definately not as annoying... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Wood Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:12:45 -0400 (EDT) > > Speaker for the Dead wrote: > I am wondering one thing in > > particular, does Moxy Fruvous have a new album? Maybe one that is only > > released in canada...? > It's called Wood. Your local store may be able to order you a > copy...I've got one. :)' > > -- I had heard you can only get this album in Canada, maybe thestore is ordering from Canada though? hmm I was thinking of calling up HMV Toronto but I never have the money 8-( Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 18:13:38 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, jenny wrote: > > -jenny, who's not afraid to admit that she's really not all that cool. > well, you go to A & M and you like tmbg. that's about as cool as you can get, in my opinion. :) john ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:18:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Mary Ellen Subject: yes, the damn personality test again OK, I'm a little late with my personality test results. Like Nola, I was holding out. Turns out I'm an ENFJ. whoa, another extrovert. Don't hate me, all you intros. Thanks guys for supporting my Clarissa habit. I don't feel quite so alone. Have a good day! ~~~~~~MaryEllen~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:27:21 -0400 From: afn18850@freenet.ufl.edu (Stephanie) Subject: briggs-myers (sp?) hello! i've been lurking for quite a long time....since two lists ago, i think... anyway, this personality test thing got my attention. i took it a while ago, and i'm an enfp. not that it's tmbg related or anything, but ya'll are a captive audience, and i wanted to share. so there. till next time : ) steph p.s. ed and his dead mother was on one of the movie channels tht i don't get just the other day. now i've inserted my obligatory tmbg comment. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:43:17 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: WOWZA!!! (i just felt like saying that) > I am pondering offering a new service as well, e-mail > aliases or accounts @tmbg.org for everyone who wants a gianthead > address. If you are interested in this please let me know. I > am considering charging a small fee for this service to help offset > the costs of running all this giant stuff. If you are interested > would you be willing to pay $10-$20 per year for such a service? SIGN ME UP!!!! > 1. How is it that you get a song that you absoultely hate stuck in your > head? let's ask Mr. Owl. One, Two-HOO, Three. the world may never know. > 2. Why is it that that song that you hate always is a hit? i don't know, but i've got one hand in my pocket. > Why is it that all of these songs are sooo damn catchy... an ah would wahlk > 500 miles an ah would wahlk 500 mohr. > C'mon join in now....I know you wanna.... i'll be there for you, (pause) and smurfs are colored blue. > Yes, I broke down and took it, and I am an ENFP. Who else is? (I keep > forgetting..... :) i'm an ENFP. and proud of it. > From: Amanda Gayle Douberly > Subject: more shirt stuff > Ok, I was just emailed by somebody who will help me with the technical part > of the shirt thing (ex., getting it on the internet) , so I am willing > to do the design if you guys want to do that. I'm sort of decent at > art, so it wouldn't suck too bad...Input? put a birdhouse on it. so we could call this list "the birdhouse on your net" > Flans' Bon Jovi improv is an instant TMBG classic; I'll post it > word for word very soon. (It was part of Spin The Dial). WHOO HOO!! LOVED THAT!! getting real annoyed with the friends of mine who are planning prom and doing a bad job of it. daniel ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: T-SHIRTS. Date: Tue, 16 Apr 96 19:52:17 EDT Hey... this is just a reminder to send designs and ideas... I've gotten a couple of suggestions already, which I will create graphical representations on soon in class. I just realized I'm gonna have to split the voting into fronts, backs, and slogans.... maybe... (So far I like the idea of the slogan being "You'll Never Know What You'll Find When You Open Up Your Letterbox Tomorrow" and The World's Address for the email address title. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- P.S. This is just starting, haven't got any designs yet! :( ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:48:30 +0000 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Continuing T-Shirt News Hello Fellow Listers!!! Currently I have about 50 requests for shirts (100 would be REALLY = awesome), remeber the more requested the cheaper they will be. I'll be getting a price list for the shirts Thurs or Friday, I'll post = the relevent info to the list over the weekend ($10-$15 estimate at this = time). The shirts will likely all be in the same size, XL or XXL. To the designers, TRY to keep the shirts in 1 or 2 colors, 3 at the max = to keep the price down. I like the ideas of the Web Page/List Sign-Up thingy on the back. That's all the info I have now, and remember to =EB-mail me with requests; = I'll reply to everyone (individually) who requested one in a few weeks = when we get designs & prices sorted out. ---Very Long .sig....but it has relevant T-Shirt info--- Mike Schaefer "The Man With the T-Shirt Plan" University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Hello Recording = Club. ---SEE-----------------------ALSO--- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and = voting FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:23:34 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Speaker for the Dead wrote: > First of all, what is this about insulting Alanis and her fans?? I just > don't understand it... > > This is what i think about the tee-shirt: I think that the design should > either be an original one or a scene from one of the videos, like someone > else suggested. Maybe it can be a depiction of whatever quote we end up > using. Oh, and that quote should NOT be from Flood! A great deal of people > who've listened to TmBg have only listened to Flood, and it is way to well > known. Something from Lincoln or TmBg would be best...or maybe something > from Misc. T. > > Okay, now here is my take on this silly music discussion ppl are having. Do > you guys think a song like, say, Bullet With Butterfly Wings is any more > catch than any of our TmBg songs? Say...Ana NG? No way in hell! Now, the > reason you dislike it is probably either because you just don't like the > music, or you are prejudiced against popular music just because it is > popular...(a common desease that should be put out of it's misery). And who > was making fun of the classic 500 miles?? That has got to be one of the > greatest songs of all time... The proclaimers are a great band, if that's > the only song you've heard by them, smarten up and buy an album! When TmBg > gets overwhelmingly popular they will have gigantic #1 hit singles, and > there will be scads of people who can't stand them and think exactly of them > that you think of some of todays hitss....hell there are many people already > that find TmBg extremely annoying because they are so catchy and have such > 'cute' music. Oh, and i never stop listening to something if it falls out > of popularity. I bought the James single 'laid' when it was all the rage > and still listen to it today, same with 500 miles and Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm... > Anyone that listens to popular music to be cool and moves along with the > crowd must have a really personality problem. Anyway, sorry for the long > bit of yelling:) I'll try to stop myself from doing it again in the future:) > > So anyway, quit dissing good music:) > Nathan Todd (Linnel) > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu > > "I got the gestures and sounds, got the timing down, > It's uncanny, yeah, you'd think it was me... > I do the best imitation of myself." > -Ben Folds Five, 'Best Imitation of Myself' > > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ > > How about Green Day? Everything sounds the same, however they are more popular than TMBG that when you listen to their music, you can say...This song is called...." " but when i listen to Green Day it ALL SOUNDS THE SAME. And the funny thing is ... i like it....(but not as much as They Might Be Giants) Charlemagne ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:27:01 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-107 On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Speaker for the Dead wrote: > >> using. Oh, and that quote should NOT be from Flood! A great deal of people > >> who've listened to TmBg have only listened to Flood, and it is way to well > >> known. Something from Lincoln or TmBg would be best...or maybe something > >> from Misc. T. > >> > >Grrrr. I don't understand why people have a problem with other people > >listening to TMBG. I would think we'd like some recognition for our > >Johns. Flood was my first exposure to Them, the first TMBG album I bought, > >and it's my favorite. If we can find something that will hook the > >average Joe or Josephine to TMBG, we should go with it, if only to spread > >the love of Brooklyn's Ambassadors everywhere. That is all. > > > Ok, i felt i really had to respond to this. > #1, what we are doing is finding a good quote for the t-shirts for > list-members...it should be something we recognize, and not be something > that is widely in circulation...don't you think that would be better? We're > not trying to spread tmbg with this project,we are trying to create a cool > symbol to reconize other tmbg fanatics from the list... > > #2, there are three types of ppl in the world. the first are people who > won't even give tmbg a chance, that think they are childish, etc... > the second type are people who hear/buy flood, think it is really > cool and everything because it is Their most commercial album, this is to be > expected. these types are not interested in other tmbg music, it just isn't > for them...they might hear a little bit more of it but are not impressed. > this is because they like the sounds of flood, not the cleverness and > general sounds of they might be giants. the fact that they like flood does > not mean they like they might be giants > the third type of person is that of you, me, and most of the people > on this list. most of us probably got hooked on tmbg through flood (i did), > but flood is just one tiny corner of the tmbg world. we like they might be > giants, not some of what they make, but themselves, what they stand for. I > agree that flood is the album to give to prospective fans(many of them > anyway), but that is not what we are trying to do with this project. also, > flood is over played, and i tend to be a bit sick of it, as many people i've > talked to are...i tried to avoid this, but it happened..i'm trying to listen > to it as little as possible to get the magic back, and i think i'll be able > to do it:) *deep intake of breath* > > so there you go. flood is good, all tmbg is good. we want something > little-known... > argh, 2 long messages in a row, whatever will i do? Listen to some Ben > Folds Five of course!! > Nathan Todd (Linnel) > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu > > "I got the gestures and sounds, got the timing down, > It's uncanny, yeah, you'd think it was me... > I do the best imitation of myself." > -Ben Folds Five, 'Best Imitation of Myself' > > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ > > I like Apollo 18. That album is cool. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:27:11 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: TMBG concert Isnt there supposed to be a concert in NY sometime? Not NYC, i mean Ny state? thought i read something about it... :) >I've never been to a TMBG concert before but I think that I'm going to the >one in Chicago next month. I just need someone to tell me how I can get >tickets for that. Also what is this personality test thing? and where can I >find it? > >Adam > >( AMY)< ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:30:47 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: t-shirts & copyrights On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Rick C. Petty wrote: > On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Hefley, Paula wrote: > > > I just wanted to throw this thought in: it seems the design should > > probably be something original - if an existing design is used, it > > might run afoul of some wretched copyright law somewhere somehow (just > > ask the folks at my local Kinko's). Besides, with so many > > artistically talented people on this list (me *not* being one of them, > > according to my college drawing professor), there's bound to be a > > veritable cornucopia of groovin' designs. How will we ever choose? > > Also, if we use a line from a song, careful since that's copyrighted > too. "They" may let us, but who would contact them? I like "the world's > address" for the email address _&_ homepage (we HAVE to have the homepage > as well, probably on the bottom of the back, like it is in commercials on > tv). > > I think we should take something from Lincoln or Their self-titled album, > since many non-Giants enthusiasts don't listen to those albums. Maybe we > should have a few quotes from their songs... > > a graphic? one on the front and one on the back. > > --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! > _______________________________________________________________________ > SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ > pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com > > Hey, actually I have only heard Flood, Apollo 18, and John Henry, (along with Whirlpool, and Why does the sun shine). I like all the songs. Even though I havent heard all their stuff doesnt mean that I am not a "TRUE" fan. Just that I don't have the cash right now :) Charlemagne ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:36:16 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: FNM Well not to get off the track of They Might Be Giants, but this brings up a point I need to make. Have any of you heard the group "Faith No More"? They rule. To tell you the truth I am glad they are not popular, because if they were they would have to change the style of music to fit today's standards......now if "They Might Be Giants" were to become very popular they would have to do the same thing....would you REALLY want that? Charlemagne (* Charlemagne thinks he should make his name a macro *) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: more shirt stuff Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 20:37:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Amanda Gayle Douberly: >I was just thinking about the design thing, and that maybe we should put the >mailing list address (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) instead of www.tmbg.org, cause >we'd all look like walking at&t ads with web addresses on our backs. Just a >thought. Reasons why I suggested just www.tmbg.org (in BIG, BRIGHT, BLOCK letters) (feel free to rebut): * Easy to spot at long distances. * Tastes great with milk. * KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid): * Easy to remember (important for when other netizens who aren't aware of the wealth of Giant Stuff on the 'net want to know how to get at it.) * The web site has info on the mailing list, so providing it on the shirt as well is redundant. * Three out of four wombats prefer it over the other brand. * Looks great in one color. One color screens are much less expensive than multicolor ones. * Big scary monsters will eat me if you don't do as I say. -CB ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:44:14 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Re: TMBG covers > >Well, Hagfish, a punk-ish band from Dallas, I believe, has done a cover >of "Twisting," and it's on their EP for "Happiness." I don't know if >this one is available in the US yet, or if it would still be an import. I have a short little .wav file of Hagfish's version of Twisting...if anyone wants it i'll email it to ya. Let me know. :) >( AMY)< ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:06:31 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: The Flood/Tshirt argument continued... >Wow, good call. I hate being called a lamer by other TMBG fans when I say >that Flood is my first and favorite. It's like, wow, I'm certainly >'alternative.' hehe. > ARgh, I've never called a tmbg fan who likes flood best a lamer, and i never will. >#42, well, who cares if people recognize the shirt quotes? I like people >looking at my shirt and saying, "Wow, that's neat!" not, "Huh?" Just >because it's well-known doesn't mean it's bad. I know many people would >like to preserve TMBG's moderate state of 'unknownness' (probably not a >word), but I'm sure the band disagrees. After all, what do you start a band >for? To play music sure, but everyone likes to make money. We all like to >belong in a little-known or small group, to say, "ok, we're different," but >why not share John and John's great gift with the world? Ok, that was >really corny, but, oh well. :) I would never have gotten into TmBg if it was not for its relative obscurity...it is, other than just beautiful, clever and fun, something that defines on in culture, it defines me a certain way..makes a statement almost. And this is not the same as trying to fit in... > Ok, as i said before the shirt program is not something that is designed to get new tmbg-aholics...it is for recognizing other list members! Don't you think it would serve this purpose best if maybe it would be something unique to us (not totally unique, cause it'd be tmbg!), a quote that just any tmbg group of people would pick, one that's rare. It's the way to go. >>3 types of people in the world: >>#1--Won't listen to Them >>#2--Listen to Flood &/or the popular tunes from Flood only. >>#3--Love TmBg as a band and everything they stand for and do. >#6*7, this is so bad I almost find it offensive. I agree with the first >type, I see it daily, but the second type is so bad. I mean, do you think >people actually buy albums just because they're 'commercial?' Sure, there >are people who conform to fit in, but for reasons of commerciality seems a >bit obsurd. The reason they might not like Flood would be bad conformist >people, but most of the so-called second type people I've run into have only >heard 'Istanbul' and 'Particle Man,' not all of Flood. Besides, if you like >Flood, you like Apollo 18, they're kinda the same style. As well, I think >you can not like one particular They Might Be Giants album and still be a >fan. I like Lincoln, but not too well. I love all the others. > Ok, i'm not sure how close to saying those things i came or not, but it is not what i mean. I don't mean that people listen to TmBg music to conform...maybe hootie & the blowfish or greenday, but tmbg doesn't make sense (at least not often). I mean that they just like the particular happy-dancy songs on flood and that is the extent. These are usually people that are not interested in the band in general, just the immediate fun flood lends to. Don't take me wrong, i like flood and like this fun crazy stuff, but it is not the essense of this band we love, it is merely a bit of the very surface. I know many type 2ers, some of them kind of liking particle man and istanbul, and not liking the rest, others having and listening to flood but not caring about the rest. I have met so many people that have flood, have been shown other stuff and just be uninterested or unimpressed. >How many of them REALLY think it is overplayed, and how many of them think >it is over-commercialized? here is a difference. I've never heard TMBG >played anywhere but at a friend's house or mine, on albums. > Overplayed in that it was the first I bought, and i fell instantly in love with they might be giants, so i've been listening to flood for 4 years, most of that time it was my favorite cd, so trust me it has been overplayed! Playing an album that is as catchy and fun as flood can get out of hand, it is hard to control it and overplaying happens. >>so there you go. flood is good, all tmbg is good. we want something >>little-known... >Yes, TMBG rules. That's what we're here for. But why keep it little known? >Popularity sucks, but if we try to hoarde it all, we're just as bad as your >average flaming conformist. As i've said, we're not hoarding it, we're using it to recognize each other and have a neat, interesting, less-heard quote from tmbg...this list is for tmbg fanatics, listmembers are going to be the ones wearing the shirts, so they're recognize almost any quote...make use of that knowledge, don't waste it on a quote we've heard over and over and over and over again... So, are the dead milkmen worth getting into? Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu "I got the gestures and sounds, got the timing down, It's uncanny, yeah, you'd think it was me... I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five, 'Best Imitation of Myself' *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:11:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: FNM On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, ADAM SMITH wrote: > Well not to get off the track of They Might Be Giants, but > this brings up a point I need to make. Have any of you heard the group > "Faith No More"? They rule. To tell you the truth I am glad they are > not popular, because if they were they would have to change the style of > music to fit today's standards......now if "They Might Be Giants" were to > become very popular they would have to do the same thing....would you > REALLY want that? > Charlemagne I'm sorry, but EVERYONE'S heard of Faith No More. They opened for that Guns 'N' Posies/Metallica tour back in what... '92? Everyone has heard of them. They were quite popular at the time. I was trying to hide from the whole music scene at the time (I was too busy watching Clarissa), and I STILL remember them. Please don't insult our intelligence like that. --Jack (now visibly upset) ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:22:13 -0400 Subject: Re: top 5 favorites 1. Sleeping In The Flowers 2. Fingertips 3. Hey Mr DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal 4. Don't Let's Start 5. Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes I also give honarable mentions to: -She's An Angel -Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head -Number Three -Ant Whatever, I like ALL the songs (the only one that I can't stand listening to is O, Do Not Forsake Me). Katie >>>>>remember, everybody has their own opinions>>>>>>>>> ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: TMBG concert Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 01:25:17 -0400 (EDT) > Isnt there supposed to be a concert in NY sometime? Not NYC, i mean Ny > state? thought i read something about it... :) > I heard somewhere that TMBG lived or live in NY somewhere but I could be wrong. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: more shirt stuff Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 01:27:49 -0400 (EDT) > Reasons why I suggested just www.tmbg.org (in BIG, BRIGHT, BLOCK > letters) (feel free to rebut): > > * Easy to spot at long distances. > * Tastes great with milk. > * KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid): > * Easy to remember (important for when other netizens who aren't > aware of the wealth of Giant Stuff on the 'net want to know how to > get at it.) > * The web site has info on the mailing list, so providing it on the > shirt as well is redundant. While this is true, it is a tmbg mailing list shirt and not a web page shirt, so it swould seem logic to have the mailing address on there, if not both. > * Three out of four wombats prefer it over the other brand. > * Looks great in one color. One color screens are much less expensive > than multicolor ones. > * Big scary monsters will eat me if you don't do as I say. Ooh, I'm scared ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: u.daufenbach@amtrash.comlink.de (Uwe Daufenbach) Subject: Re: My Answering Machine Date: 16 Apr 1996 00:00:00 +0000 Kaylum@aol.com meinte am 16.04.96 zum Thema "Re: My Answering Machine" im Brett /tmbg-mailing-list: > >I have TMBG on my answering machine now! (Gee, now there's a novel > >concept...They Might Be Giants on an answering machine.) I put the > >beginning of "Destination Moon" on my message: "Don't bother to call > >this room / There's nobody here who can pick up". Pretty clever, if I do > >say so myself. Just thought I'd share. :) > > I do too! I haven't had any messages since, but a few people have me they > hung up as soon as they heard "those damn Giants" . Made a similar experience. Had a portion of "Don't let's start" (when you are alone, you are the cat, you are the *phone*... =8-) on my TAM and some phoners complained about the "noise".... o.k., o.k., it was a shabby sound quality due to the shabby answering machine.... Greetings from Glueckstadt, Germany U w e ------------------------------ From: u.daufenbach@amtrash.comlink.de (Uwe Daufenbach) Subject: Re: Cover our naked bodies with TMBG! Date: 16 Apr 1996 00:00:00 +0000 afn37647@afn.org meinte am 14.04.96 zum Thema "Cover our naked bodies with TMBG!" im Brett /tmbg-mailing-list: > I have got an idea from these past few posts about this...somebody on > this list who is artistically inclined and has access to a scanner should > design a t-shirt, front and back, and put the design on a page where we can > all get it, or mail it to the list, so we can download it and take it to a > t-shirt shop and get it put on a shirt. Sort of like the rush one, with a > picture or line from a song on the front and the list address on the back? > What do you guys think? That's a good idea! I'm already looking for some ftp-able stuff that will make a nice t-shirt, since summers comin up, I still dont own a cool tmbg-shirt and I don't like to wait for an oversea order.... Greetings from Glueckstadt, Germany U w e ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 02:57:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: TMBG concert On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I heard somewhere that TMBG lived or live in NY somewhere but I could be wrong. > Matt I have heard that Flans lives in Blauvelt, New York. The info club is based in Tappan, NY. I think the Hello Club is based in Palisades, NY. My best-friend, and guitarist for my band, saw Flans and I think Kurt Hoffman at the July 4th fireworks in Piermont, NY. They're all part of one big munincipality, that also happens to be ex-girlfriend central for me. BTW, Flansburgh was a real dickhead to my best friend. He wouldn't even speak to him. He had Kurt cut him off, and distract him. Geez, you get into a band where your partner has all the talent, and your head just balloons right up. I know that I'm gonna get mail on this one. I never cease to anger and infuriate, do I? --Jack http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-108 ******************************