Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-109 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 109 Thursday, 18 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: FNM Re: TMBG concert (none) Re: Continuing T-Shirt News Re: FNM Re: The Flood/Tshirt argument continued... Re: more shirt stuff Re: FNM Boba Mail tmbg.org changes Demo oddities Re: shirts Re: top 5 favorites some tmbg stuff Re: shirts Sorry Cort! pink question Have a Laugh!!! Have a Laugh!!! back o' shirt Re: pink question Young Fresh Twistin' Fellows The awaited "Mrs. Train" interpretation! (fwd) Keen shirt idea! No, really this time! Re: some tmbg stuff Re: hello Test? shirts Tiny Toons sick Re: TMBG concert giants Stand On Your Head Re: sick Re: Tiny Toons Re: Tiny Toons Re: sick Myers-Briggs Personality Typing Texas Re: Tiny Toons Personality Test :( Re: Wood Re: Tiny Toons Re: shirts Concerts?? Argh! Re: shirts stuff... edison lab TMBG on the radio Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 03:26:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: FNM On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, ADAM SMITH wrote: > > > > Well not to get off the track of They Might Be Giants, but > this brings up a point I need to make. Have any of you heard the group > "Faith No More"? They rule. To tell you the truth I am glad they are > not popular, Faith No More isnt popular? hmmm well, once upon a time there was this song called 'Epic' that pioneered a genre of white-funk-metal... FNM and another unpopular band called the Red Hot Chili Peppers did alot of damage that took a while to undo... >because if they were they would have to change the style of > music to fit today's standards......now if "They Might Be Giants" were to > become very popular they would have to do the same thing....would you > REALLY want that? Nobody tells TMBG what to do. To say that TMBG would change once they became popular is a pretty stupid thing to propose, right? I dont see TMBG changing, so if they did get popular, it would be by doing what they have been doing for all this time= you're stupid on all counts. Oh, by the way... what do you think of Mr. Bungle? Disco Volante rules... Flame on, John ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:19:57 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: TMBG concert On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > BTW, Flansburgh was a real dickhead to my best friend. > He wouldn't even speak to him. If he's anything like you, I don't blame him. I just love flame-bait. Mark ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 11:46:25 +0200 Lots of rhetorical questions; I kept telling myself not to get involved, BUT why do so many people seem to have such a (sorry, but) snobbish attitude towards the music? Who cares if people refuse to listen to TMBG? So what if people only want to listen to "more commercial" bands or the "more commercial" TMBG records? Does it matter that someone else bought one album, when you've bought every album and single ever released? Of course not, it doesn't affect you in the slightest - the only important thing is what you like. The same reasoning goes for the "buying albums to conform" argument - so what if that's what people do? How does this make your life worse?....Warning - pretentious quote coming up...... "Don't be fooled my friend, EVERYONE wears a uniform" - Frank Zappa Quick points: 1. To whoever asked, from what I've heard, yes it is worth getting into The Dead Milkmen, but they do vary a bit. 2. RE: The quote on the T-shirt. What's wrong with having a quote recognisable by non-listers? List-members will recognise it for what it is and non-listers may be interested in BECOMING listers. Just because they don't subscribe now doesn't mean they should be prevented from doing so, surely? Sorry, didn't mean to call you surely. Keith "It's not easy being a Dolphin" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 06:23:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: Continuing T-Shirt News On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Mike Schaefer wrote: XXL? Can we veer away from that if possible? I am really short, that would be a TMBG *dress!* :) Amanda =20 > Currently I have about 50 requests for shirts (100 would be REALLY=20 > awesome), remeber the more requested the cheaper they will be. > I'll be getting a price list for the shirts Thurs or Friday, I'll post=20 > the relevent info to the list over the weekend ($10-$15 estimate at this= =20 > time). > The shirts will likely all be in the same size, XL or XXL. > To the designers, TRY to keep the shirts in 1 or 2 colors, 3 at the max= =20 > to keep the price down. > I like the ideas of the Web Page/List Sign-Up thingy on the back. >=20 > That's all the info I have now, and remember to =EB-mail me with requests= ;=20 > I'll reply to everyone (individually) who requested one in a few weeks=20 > when we get designs & prices sorted out. >=20 > ---Very Long .sig....but it has relevant T-Shirt info--- > Mike Schaefer > "The Man With the T-Shirt Plan" > University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign > (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) > http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef > Home of See the Constellation backward messages and the Hello Recording= =20 > Club. > ---SEE-----------------------ALSO--- > Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) > voting process... send designs and ideas to me! > EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and=20 > voting > FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ > For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ > WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html > For seeing and voting on the design submissions. >=20 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 06:54:34 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: FNM On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > > > On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, ADAM SMITH wrote: > > > > > > > > > Well not to get off the track of They Might Be Giants, but > > this brings up a point I need to make. Have any of you heard the group > > "Faith No More"? They rule. To tell you the truth I am glad they are > > not popular, > Faith No More isnt popular? hmmm well, once upon a time there was this > song called 'Epic' that pioneered a genre of white-funk-metal... FNM and > another unpopular band called the Red Hot Chili Peppers did alot of > damage that took a while to undo... > > >because if they were they would have to change the style of > > music to fit today's standards......now if "They Might Be Giants" were to > > become very popular they would have to do the same thing....would you > > REALLY want that? > > > > Nobody tells TMBG what to do. To say that TMBG would change once they > became popular is a pretty stupid thing to propose, right? I dont see > TMBG changing, so if they did get popular, it would be by doing what > they have been doing for all this time= you're stupid on all counts. > Oh, by the way... what do you think of Mr. Bungle? > Disco Volante rules... > > Flame on, John > Mr. Bugle is cool. I just like Mike Patton's style. I guess that most people have heard of FNM. Where I live only about 5 people even know they exist, so sorry if the post sounded stupid. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 08:42:26 -0400 Subject: Re: The Flood/Tshirt argument continued... In a message dated 96-04-16 22:14:36 EDT, ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu wrote: >Overplayed in that it was the first I bought, and i fell instantly in love >with they might be giants, so i've been listening to flood for 4 years, most >of that time it was my favorite cd, so trust me it has been overplayed! >Playing an album that is as catchy and fun as flood can get out of hand, it >is hard to control it and overplaying happens. I can easily agree with that, I am at the point where I can only listen to Flood about once a week because when my sister first gave me the dub in 1990 I listened over and over and over and then I got the dub of Apollo 18 (which included She's Angel, Don't let's Start, Everything right..., Absolutely bill's, Youth Culture, Puppet Head, and Rthym Section Want Ad) which I listened to over and over again, besides giving me an odd feeling when ever I listen to the Pink album it made me kind of sick of the both of them, now it's odd because I overplayed all the other albums (when i got them in '94) so much that I can really only stand to listen to Apollo 18 for over extended periods of time... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 08:42:33 -0400 Subject: Re: more shirt stuff In a message dated 96-04-16 22:20:43 EDT, Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu (Chris Bongaarts) writes: >* Tastes great with milk. Not hardly, but seriously I get enough persecution from my "friends" for admitting to having a web page and liking tmbg I think this would just make things worse, but then, I don't know how an e-mail address is much better... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 08:42:32 -0400 Subject: Re: FNM In a message dated 96-04-16 22:20:43 EDT, some guy wrote: >now if "They Might Be Giants" were to >become very popular they would have to do the same thing....would you >REALLY want that? > I think that the only way TMBG could ever get ultra popular is for them to really want it to happen or if the slight (inevitable) style change that comes with each album happened to fit with the current trend of the "then" ------------------------------ From: "MATTHEW ONDREY" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:06:00 EST Subject: Boba Mail The Boba Top Five (for whoever asked) No One Knows My Plan Twisting James K. Polk She Was A Hotel Detective (1994) See The Constellation Hey guys, I just found out that my mom likes TMBG!! This proves that only the good die young. Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey, who's just a woofer covered in wood. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "I LOVE THE DEAD." "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS, NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN" -- TMBG, MJO ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: tmbg.org changes Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:28:11 -0400 (EDT) Both www.tmbg.com and www.tmbg.org have been moved to their new home. I'm sorry if there was some down time last night. I am also set up to offer e-mail addresses @tmbg.org. I have not yet decided what, if anything I will charge for it, but I can tell you that right now I plan to open it up next Monday, April 22 at 13:00 EST. You will be able to get an id via a web page (that will be text browser compatable). ID's will be first come first serve, which is why I am giving you the time. What I will be offering is simply a forwarding service. You must supply a real e-mail address on the net that I will forward your mail to. I will _NOT_ be offering POP mail or accounts at this time. I'll give more details over the weekend. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:40:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Demo oddities Hi pals! I have been listening to ever-amusing Demo tape, given to me by Corney at the infamous Etown show last Friday. It is really hilarious! I love hearing the first recordings of the songs that we know and have loved for a long time now. In Hotel Detective, it really sounds like they brought out some doves and made them coo coo coo into a microphone. The other lyrics for They Might Be Giants are awesome! I wish they would have kept those lines in with the rest. They might be rain, they might be wheat, they might be chewing on a pair of feet. They might be brain, they might be washed, they might be yelling out "Albatross" Okay, yeah, sure. I love it! Reminds me of a story we read in 10th grade, what was it Mary Ellen or Sarah? Something about a mariner. Anyway, that's what I want to say about that. I should also mention the "we're an eighties band" sound of You'll Miss Me, Become a Robot (which I had never heard), and Hell Hotel (is that what it's called?) Funny ha ha ha Cool to see how They have evolved since they started recording. Bye, bye! Have a buck naked day! -*-<<*Nola*>>-*- ------------------------------ From: noogie soldier Subject: Re: shirts Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 10:49:49 CDT > > On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > > > I was just thinking about the design thing, and that maybe we should put the > > mailing list address (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) instead of www.tmbg.org, cause > > we'd all look like walking at&t ads with web addresses on our backs. Just a > > thought. > > I think we should put them both on the shirt (on the back) -- if the > shirt is spiffy enough, it won't look like an AT&T ad, and definately not > as annoying... > > --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! > _______________________________________________________________________ > SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ > pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com > > do we have to put the list address or the web site on these shirts? i think that'll look pretty corny. i have no basis for my opinion, i just think it would. does anyone agree with me here? it seems to me that we should try and keep the shirts simple; maybe a graphic on the front and a quote on the back. farside ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 10:32:02 MDT Subject: Re: top 5 favorites ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 10 1. Dinner Bell 2. Turn Around 3. Particle Man 4. Ana Ng 5. Cowtown Well, these are my favorites today. No, wait, I've changed my mind. No, I changed again. No, I'll just send this list anyway. ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 13:22:15 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: some tmbg stuff hi all! well, first, the t-shirt info i saw last said that it would probably only be available in XL and XXL. could we *please* get at least an L, too? there are those of us who get buried even in a large, upon whom an XL would just fall off around our shoulders. we are small! an L would be bearable, at least. pleeze??? i am also an ENFP! oh! and my last comment. TMBG is overplayed? where on earth!?! here we're lucky to get the college station to play something if you call up and request it twelve times. have a nice day all! :) peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 12:34:30 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: shirts On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, noogie soldier wrote: > > I think we should put them both on the shirt (on the back) -- if the > > shirt is spiffy enough, it won't look like an AT&T ad, and definately not > > as annoying... > > > do we have to put the list address or the web site on these shirts? i think > that'll look pretty corny. i have no basis for my opinion, i just think it > would. does anyone agree with me here? it seems to me that we should try > and keep the shirts simple; maybe a graphic on the front and a quote on the > back. I think we should, because this shirt is supposed to identify (& possibly advertise) our mailing list, not They in general... Even though our shirt will be unique to They, we should put the addresses (web & email) to identify this group, like 'if you want to be in our elite group & you like They, here's how...' It's just advertising for both the webpage and the mailing list. --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 14:05:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Sorry Cort! Sorry Cort! Didn't mean to call you Corney! (See previous message) -----Nola---- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 14:09 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: pink question ok, i gotta question for the list at large. does anyone else have an original cassette of the first (pink) TMBG album? is there anything... well... *odd* about it? because i bought my copy on tape about 8 or 9 years ago, when it was close to newly-released. in the background between songs, very faintly, you can hear music. i thought this was just "tape bleed", but the music is the four songs from the "Don't Let's Start" EP ("DLS", "Hi, We're the Replacements", "The Famous Person Polka" and "When it Rains it Snows"), three of which aren't *on* the pink album. this is especially prominent at the end of one side, where there is a lot of empty tape. the songs play all the way through, in order, and the volume kinda oscillates between extremely faint and almost audible at normal volume. so, i guess my question is... WHY??? -j.l. when it rains it snows, i wonder why... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 15:21:39 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Have a Laugh!!! Here this isn't exactly TMBG related but what the hell, im intitled to a few off the topic posts. ----- Begin Included Message ----- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 14:38:29 EDT From: afd (Tony Defina) Subject: Have a Laugh!!! This is probably breaking some copyright law, but... ----- Begin Included Message ----- >From owner-pcb_sig@MentorUG.Org Wed Apr 17 14:36:35 1996 From: Anita_Winings-EAW003@email.mot.com Date: 17 Apr 96 12:53:15 -0500 To: pcb_sig@mentorg.com Subject: Have a Laugh!!! Sender: owner-pcb_sig@MentorUG.Org This was an email that I received and would like to share. > This message is sent to you with the hope you will forward it to > everyone you have ever even seen the email address of. In the spirit > of the originator, please feel free to post it anywhere and > everywhere. > > > Okay, everyone....a true story of justice in the good old U.S. of A. > Thought y'all might enjoy this; if nothing else, it shows internet > justice, if it can be called that. > > My daughter & I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus Cafe > in Dallas & decided to have a small dessert. Because our family are > such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus Cookie". It > was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and > they said with a small frown, "I'm afraid not." Well, I said, would > you let me buy the recipe? > > With a cute smile, she said, "Yes." I asked how much, and she > responded, "Two fifty." I said with approval, just add it to my tab. > Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from > Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and I remembered I > had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As > I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe - > $250.00." BOY, WAS I UPSET!! I called Neiman's accounting dept. and > told them the waitress said it was "two fifty," and I did not realize > she meant $250.00 for a cookie recipe. I asked them to take back the > recipe and reduce my bill and they said they were sorry, but because > all the recipes were this expensive so not just everyone could > duplicate any of our bakery recipes....the bill would stand. I > waited, thinking of how I could get even or even try and get any of > my money back. > > I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250.00 and now I'm going to > have $250.00 worth of fun." I told her that I was going to see to it > that every cookie lover will have a $250.00 cookie recipe from > Neiman-Marcus for nothing. She replied, "I wish you wouldn't do > this." I said, "I'm sorry but this is the only way I feel I could get > even," and I will. > > So, here it is, and please pass it to someone else or run a few > copies....I paid for it; now you can have it for free. > > > > (Recipe may be halved.) > > > > 2 cups butter 4 cups flower > > 2 tsp. soda 2 cups sugar > > 5 cups blended oatmeal** 24 oz. chocolate chips > > 2 cups brown sugar 1 tsp. salt > > 1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated) 4 eggs > > 2 tsp. baking powder 3 cups chopped nuts > (yourchoice) > > 2 tsp. vanilla > > > > ** measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder. > > Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; > > mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, > and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. > Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie > sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 > cookies. > > > > Have fun!!! This is not a joke --- this is a true story.. > > > > ************************************************************ > > That's it. Please, pass it along to everyone you know, single > > people, mailing lists, etc..... > > ________________________________________________________ To: pcb_sig@mentorg.com@INTERNET From: chaffmj@anubis.network.com@INTERNET on Wed, Apr 17, 1996 1:04 PM Subject: cam350 Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85] Precedence: bulk Hi, Does anybody use a gerber editor called the CAM350 from a company called Cad Solutions or something like that. I had contacted these people back in 1994 and was wondering if they are still around. My company is looking to turn off our old board layout software Cadam Prance which we run on VM off an old mainframe. Our problem is just like everybodies elses, what do you do with the old boards that are still in production that you have to edit once in a while. This CAM350 would take your artwork files and convert it to intell- gent CAD data complete with a netlist. You could then make changes to the netlist, manually edit the board and then run DRC checks against your changes. Anybody that has any info like a phone number for the company that sells the CAM350 if the still exist or a different solution please respond. -- Thanks Mike Chaffin Network Systems Corporation email: chaffmj@anubis.network.com 612-391-1133 ----- End Included Message ----- ----- End Included Message ----- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 14:33:10 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: back o' shirt >My submission for the back of the T-Shirt: > > tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org > alt.music.tmbg > http://www.tmbg.org/ > > It's free when you 'Net from work! Maybe just have the mailing list address, but . . . I =Really= like the "free when you 'net from work!" bit. Whoohoooo. Keep it!! Cyndi Batson ************ Northwestern University c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: 17 Apr 96 16:03:05 EDT From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Subject: Re: pink question i was bored so, much to my roommate's and neighbors' annoyance, i listened to whole thing practically full blast, but the only background noise i got was the songs on the other side backwards. then again i didnt buy mine until somewhere between when lincoln and flood came out. -sara- --- "J. L. Moquin" wrote: ok, i gotta question for the list at large. does anyone else have an original cassette of the first (pink) TMBG album? is there anything... well... *odd* about it? because i bought my copy on tape about 8 or 9 years ago, when it was close to newly-released. in the background between songs, very faintly, you can hear music. i thought this was just "tape bleed", but the music is the four songs from the "Don't Let's Start" EP ("DLS", "Hi, We're the Replacements", "The Famous Person Polka" and "When it Rains it Snows"), three of which aren't *on* the pink album. this is especially prominent at the end of one side, where there is a lot of empty tape. the songs play all the way through, in order, and the volume kinda oscillates between extremely faint and almost audible at normal volume. so, i guess my question is... WHY??? --- end of quoted material --- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:05:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Young Fresh Twistin' Fellows Ben or Been here, still operating Ben's Dial-A-Song. And what glorious track does Ben's Dial-A-Song have? A really upbeat, fun, horned song by Young Fresh Fellows! What's it called? "TV Dream." Call from work. 'Ll cost you as much to call TMBG's Dial-A-Song from work. Love your sapphire bullets, Ben or Been Non-Ambidextrous and General-Semanticist ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:30:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The awaited "Mrs. Train" interpretation! (fwd) Another year-old post from the Digest of Yesteryear. Ben or Been here. I wrote this April 2nd, 1996, read over it again today, enjoyed it, thought you might get a kick out of it. The idea of the wedding I could buy--Could you? Scott Dodson, take a peek. This was to you! Well, as Moxy says on their newer album, something like, "We took off our shoes And beared our souls"-- Ben or Been ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 12:52:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck To: TMBG Interper Scott Dodson , They Might Be Giants Persons Subject: The awaited "Mrs. Train" interpretation! This is Ben or Been here, and Scott challenged me to interpret the TMBG song "Mrs. Train," which appears on the _Back to Skull_ CD5. He says he has a rock-hard interpretation of the song, and I'll see here if I come anywhere near his. (I hope, Scott, you post yours for all!!!) "Mrs. Train" by They Mighty Mighty Bostonian Giants I don't want to be first in line to see Mrs. Train I expect that it doesn't matter to Mrs. Train Being comfortable with yourself And being patient and taking you time Are the things that Mrs. Train can understand I've never seen a Train(*) like this before But, then again, there's never been a Train(*) like this before Like Mrs. Train And someone's got to be the one to declare that they want to be next in line to see Mrs. Train But I don't want to be first in line to see Mrs. Train I expect that it doesn't matter to Mrs. Train Being patient and taking your time Are things a train(*) can understand And I'll be happy when I finally take her hand There's never been a train(*) like this before Someone's got to be the one at the head of the line to first see Mrs. Train But I'm not in any rush to head the line and saw the line has a missing head And I don't want to be first in line to see the missing head I expect that it doesn't matter to the missing head Being patient and taking your time Are things that a head can understand And I'll be happy when I finally take its hand There's never been a head like this before Someone's got to be the one at the head of the line to first see the missing head But I'm not in any rush to head the line and saw the line has a missing head ("Missing Head!") 3x: And I don't want to be first in line to see the missing head I expect that it doesn't matter to the missing head Being patient and taking your time Are things that a head can understand And I'll be happy when I finally take its hand Note: The marking "(*)" means that I've given my interpretation of the writing of the word "train"--crucial for referencing the train or the Trains. -------------------------! Well, folks, "Mrs. Train"'s a song about shyness, coyness, the sacrifice of volition, etc. What's "the sacrifice of volition"? It is my way of putting: "I am now choosing not to do this thing I want to do." And I believe this song is partially about this because of all of the times the words "don't want" are used. **** I see the song describing the psychology of the person in the song, who is in some sort of "situation." The specifics of this "situation" are not necessary (it doesn't have to be 'in line at the bank' or 'looking at the headless body of a woman run over by a train'--possible interps), but *I* see the "situation" as this: The singer is an invite at the wedding of a beautiful bride, and he is in line after the ceremony to have a dance with her. He is next in line after the one dancing with her now, and he is chickening out. The word "train" in this song works on (I count) three levels. "Train" is the last name of the woman in the title; it is the dragging end of the gown of the new bride (suggesting wedding); and it is a line of people. Hence the "traininess" of the entire song--and the apropos increased speediness in the tempo as if a train were launching from the station. I see a long line of men wanting eagerly to dance with the bride, to "take her hand." They each know and respect in this must-be-picture-perfect atmosphere of the wedding that they must especially be "patient" and take their time in line (else all Hell breaks loose, fighting for the exuberant bride) to dance with her. Her name--her NEW name, via marriage--is Mrs. Train. A woman (Miss Whoozits or whatever) is married into the Train family, thus picking up the new last name. She is a new part of the family, definitely distinguishable among all of the other family members: "I've never seen a Train like this before/ But, then again, there's never been a Train like this before/ Like Mrs. Train." And then there are those anxious males in line to dance with her. They are members of the lower-cased "train," and the singer is next to dance in line. He'll be "happy" when he finally takes her hand (as the song goes), but as he starts to think about it--he cowers! He "doesn't want to be first in line" in the beginning of the song, and when he discovers that, through "patience," he IS, and there is no "head of the line" other than he, he wants to be just one more back! "Not in any rush to head the line" and dance with the bride, he wants to be holding the hand--be after the head of the line--of someone before him. He discovers a "missing head"--of the line. The tempo picks up, instruments are added, and "Missing Head!" is chanted in the background to build the tension of the singer's conflict. The tempo builds like the sound of a train departure (aforementioned, along with a lot of this stuff). Questions? Comments? Other interps? Please send 'em! Ben or Been *** Scott, How does this interp compare to yours? Competitively, capitalistically, tickly, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:51:51 -0500 (CDT) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Keen shirt idea! No, really this time! How about having the picture be the band tilting at windmills or something? Maybe not Their picutures, b/c of copyright stuff, but two guys in armor with a guitar and an accordian? Anyone? Oh, and we *need* to have them in several sizes. Some people said they can't wear X big tees, and I, and I'm sure many others, can't wear anything smaller than XXL or XXXL. And I think the eamil address/www site should be dispalyed creativly, somehow. Just block letters would make it look like a cheap, homemade with spraypaint thing. Unless we're going for the punk look.... I like "The World's Address" and "Free when you call/net/whatever from work" %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:09:45 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: some tmbg stuff I just got a stupid idea for a shirt design...well I've seen barnes & Nobles t-shirts with famopus writer's faces framed on the front...like Mark Twain and Stephen King are some I recognized...but all the faces are done in this olf, artsy style where the profile is rendered using charcoal pencil in sort of a contour map of the face. I'd buy a shirt with linnel & flans' faces on it done that way. brap. erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 17:19:30 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: At 07:35 AM 4/16/96 +0200, you wrote: >>Just some random musings.... >> >>1. How is it that you get a song that you absoultely hate stuck in your head? >> >>2. Why is it that that song that you hate always is a hit? >> >>Case in point: Smashing Pumpkins....How many of y'all have gotten that >>STUPID "DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A RAT IN A CAGE!" stuck in your >>head? > >Erm, your remembering this song may not be completely unconnected to the >imaginative chorus.....(please affect Billy Corgan voice at this point): Imaginative? C'mon, list all of the sedatives you're on right now....Lithium? Prozac? We need to be sure about this. >"Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage, Despite all my rage I am >still just a rat in a cage, Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a >(please pause then shout in anguish) CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE, Despite all my rage >I am still just a rat in a, Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a, >Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage." Unfortunately, I hate the song so much, I can't stand to really memorize the lyrics...sorry:) >I think this may have something to do with it, but then I think that rain is >wet, so who am I to say? No, rain is damp. Water is wet. >PS - Just for the record, I rather like the song, sorry. Oh yeah - don't be > having a go at The Proclaimers. Anyone who can wear British National > Health Glasses and STILL get a hit has earned our respect! National Health Glasses. Well, TMBG hit #10 in the UK when Flans was wearing the Black Horn rims...go figure. Maybe Brits have a fetish for weird-looking guys in ugly glasses. I've got the Usenet right now. uk.sex.fetish.guys-in-ugly.glasses Okay, I've officially gone off the deep end here. Must stop. BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others."--William Allen White ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:15:04 -0400 Subject: hello Hi Folks I have some stuff: shirt- I think we should have either a photo of John&John or They Might Be Giants written in big bubbly letters on the front then a quote on the back. My friend Phil- I got him addicted to TMBG! He bought Apollo 18 and memorized it in like a day! That makes two of my friends. My plan is working! (No one knows it either) WDTSS- I like the fast version better too. Heres what the two record stores I go to usually have: Camelot- A18, JH, Flood, Usually Lincoln and Misc. T , Once in a while TMBG or WDTSS Coconuts- A18, JH, Flood, TMBG, usually Lincoln, Once in a while Misc. T or WDTSS Of course, I have all of those. But WDTSS is my only single. I want Back to Skull BAD! And Coconuts said they're stopping ordering TMBG videos because they don't sell good enough. That makes me steamed. Peace! JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Jantschman@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:16:21 -0400 Subject: Test? Hi Can someone tell me what this personality test is and where it is? I had to delete a bunch of mail before I read it. ByeBye JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: shirts Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:21:46 -0400 (EDT) I agree with Amanda on the shirt size issue. I normally wear a Large, and while an XL will do if nthing else is available, it usually pretty darn big! There are smaller people than 6'4" 230 lb. guys on this list, XXL would most likely fit almost no one. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:19:32 -0400 Subject: Tiny Toons Guess what... it was the episode where they play Istanbul and Partical man on TT today on Nickelodeon... I was kind upset when I saw this part in Istanbul where Hampton was supposed to be JF and Plucky was 'posed to be JL... they just shouldn't do that to the Johns... anyone else see it? (the only reason I saw it is because my little sister watches it everyday) ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: sick Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:27:31 -0400 (EDT) I was thinking about which song the Johns must be most sick of and it has to be Don't Let's Start (IMHO). I mean, it's on the first album and they play it at every single concert, they've probably playe dit at every concert they've ever had just about. Could you imagine playing that song for probably 11+ years and with as many concerts as they put on. I bet they have played that song live many thousands of times! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: TMBG concert Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:29:50 -0400 (EDT) > > >I heard somewhere that TMBG lived or live in NY somewhere but I could be > >wrong. > > it seems you've forgotten the customary ":)" > hee hee hee *evil grin* ;) -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: giants Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:47:34 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, I jolt from the radio the other day, whilst talking on the phone to Nola. As I was listening, I heard Don't Let's Start playing on 99.1 WHFS which is not extremely uncommon but it pretty rare. Well I wasn't paying too much attention until I heard these other clips of bands and then realized that it was a commercial for the HFStival which they hold every year (these days at RFK stadium, Redskins place in DC). Then I sat up and thought, whoa! TMBG are going to be there this year? But then I realized that they were playing clips from past HFStivals. They had invited the Giants 3 years ago when it used to be at the Upper Maroboro, Maryland outdoor something-or-other-place. Of course that was the year before I went when they had They Might Be Giants, Charlatans, UK, I think Violent Femmes, and other cool bands. When I found out my friend, John, went to that, it rely sucked cause I woulda loved to see it. It was funny, too, because he told me that the Charlatans guy had flown in from Europe where his wife had been giving birth, and he flew all the way back to the states to make the concert. I think HFS must have a lot of money, because the gorups often divert their tours to make the HFStival. Ahh but you all don't care about this! If TMBG were at this on June 1, I would be so happy! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Stand On Your Head Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:51:37 -0400 (EDT) Heyas, I don't think they will ever play the greatest song on Lincoln, Stand On Your Own Head because there is a banjo in it and Flans doesn't bring banjos to the concerts. Taht really stinksa 8-( Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:53:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: sick hey, with a song as great as that, there is no getting sick. :) Amanda ps. my vote for the back of the tee: the world's address tmbg-list@tmbg.org free when you net from work! whoever came up with that, you're a genius! On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I was thinking about which song the Johns must be most sick of > and it has to be Don't Let's Start (IMHO). I mean, it's on the first album > and they play it at every single concert, they've probably playe dit at every > concert they've ever had just about. Could you imagine playing that song for > probably 11+ years and with as many concerts as they put on. I bet they have > played > that song live many thousands of times! > Matt > -- > ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ > Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond > "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp > Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass > -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:51:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: Tiny Toons On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > Guess what... > it was the episode where they play Istanbul and Partical man on TT today > on Nickelodeon... I was kind upset when I saw this part in Istanbul where > Hampton was supposed to be JF and Plucky was 'posed to be JL... they just > shouldn't do that to the Johns... anyone else see it? No! I wish I had. I always hear about that episode, and I have not yet seen it. I didn't know that they were actually supposed to *be* the Johns, I thought they only sang the song. > (the only reason I saw it is because my little sister watches it everyday) Hey, don't be ashamed to admit you like cartoons...I watch cartoons every day! I watch speed racer every evening on the cartoon network, and when I am not so busy I like to watch Rugrats, and Doug, and Tiny Toons, and anamaniacs, and scooby doo, and Ranma 1/2, and the list goes on and on! Cartoons are great! Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:23:51 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Tiny Toons On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > it was the episode where they play Istanbul and Partical man on TT today > on Nickelodeon... I was kind upset when I saw this part in Istanbul where > Hampton was supposed to be JF and Plucky was 'posed to be JL... they just > shouldn't do that to the Johns... anyone else see it? > > (the only reason I saw it is because my little sister watches it everyday) The only reason I saw it was because I watch tiny-toons all the time! That and Animaniacs... The "cartoons for college students"... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:26:40 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: sick On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I was thinking about which song the Johns must be most sick of > and it has to be Don't Let's Start (IMHO). I mean, it's on the first album > and they play it at every single concert, they've probably playe dit at every > concert they've ever had just about. Could you imagine playing that song for > probably 11+ years and with as many concerts as they put on. I bet they have > played > that song live many thousands of times! Well, I've probably listened to that song over many thousands of times, and it's still my favorite! --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 20:07:57 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing The survey continues! Results keep pouring in, so I'm continuing to count votes. Remember, you can checy tour personality type at: http://sunsite.unc.edu/personality/keirsey.html http://www.gse.rmit.edu.au/~rsedc/keirsey.html Only votes sent DIRECTLY TO ME will count. I am *not* counting types posted to the list. So far, 36 have responded. Keep it up! There are 500 people on this list! The rest of you must be I's. :-) -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Subject: Texas Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 19:08:22 -0500 (CDT) jenny writes: > Probably not. I've noticed a rather disturbing trend in the appearances > of They Might Be Giants in Texas-- They don't come. Well, they played > at Texas A&M in December of 1994, and I know They were in Houston back in > late 1991 or early 1992. I've seen them at Liberty Lunch in Austin 3 times since 1988 (I think I missed one in 1990 or 1991 -- after "Flood", before "Apollo 18"). You people up in the Northeast get them much more often though :( Trying to combine a few other threads: I first subscribed to gnu.ai.mit.edu mailing list on 2/6/92. I don't think it was around long before then. I'm 33, not in college, and INTP! -- John Iacoletti IBM - Team AIX Austin, Texas johniac@austin.ibm.com or johniac@vnet.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Tiny Toons Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 20:47:35 -0400 (EDT) > On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > > > it was the episode where they play Istanbul and Partical man on TT today > > on Nickelodeon... I was kind upset when I saw this part in Istanbul where > > Hampton was supposed to be JF and Plucky was 'posed to be JL... they just > > shouldn't do that to the Johns... anyone else see it? > > > > (the only reason I saw it is because my little sister watches it everyday) > > The only reason I saw it was because I watch tiny-toons all the time! > That and Animaniacs... The "cartoons for college students"... Boo hoo, they got rid of Animaniacs a long while ago from Fox and now the only way to get it is to get the Warner Bros. Channel which they don't offer, just plain sucky, great cartoon there. I missed this tiny toons too as I don't normally watch it, oh well, I'm destined to never see that episode. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 17:32:56 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: Personality Test :( Well, I found out that I am a diffrent person than I thought I was. I am an Extraverted Intuitive Thinking Judging kind of person. I guess that's good. Famous people like me: Harrison Ford Whoopi Goldberg Sean Connery Sigourney Weaver -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 20:28:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Wood > > It's called Wood. Your local store may be able to order you a > > copy...I've got one. :) > I had heard you can only get this album in Canada, maybe the store > is ordering from Canada though? Nope, I saw it (saw wood... nevermind) in Coconuts in Cleveland Hts., OH, so it's available over here, too. Unless they went out of their way to get it (I _doubt_ it, they don't even have most stuff that's available in other stores around me). Speaking of which, I randomly found Back to Skull in a Best Buy while looking for Brain Candy, which I later found in a Camelot. Spiralling Shape is an awesome song, and I really like Mrs. Train and Hotel Detective, too. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 21:32:25 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: Tiny Toons On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > Guess what... > it was the episode where they play Istanbul and Partical man on TT today > on Nickelodeon... I was kind upset when I saw this part in Istanbul where > Hampton was supposed to be JF and Plucky was 'posed to be JL... they just > shouldn't do that to the Johns... anyone else see it? > > > (the only reason I saw it is because my little sister watches it everyday) > Yes I did. Anyway does anyone know where I can purchase TMBG video's? ------------------------------ From: Andrew John CALLAGHAN Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:33:52 +1000 (EST) Subject: Re: shirts On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I agree with Amanda on the shirt size issue. I normally wear a Large, > and while an XL will do if nthing else is available, it usually pretty > darn big! There are smaller people than 6'4" 230 lb. guys on this list, > XXL would most likely fit almost no one. > Matt > -- Well, I'm 6'3", 170lbs, but I usually wear XL... Definately get different sizes... Andrew C ------------------------------ From: cowgods@teleport.com Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:49:33 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Concerts?? Argh! I live in Portland, OR. TMBG have come here once, for as long as I've lived here as a fan. Does anyone have a list, or know where I can GET a list of concerts? Or do you know when they'll be in Oregon? I'd sell various organs to get to see them, I've never seen TMBG live. Not even on tape. I have 120 mins. recorded when they hosted.. but, that's it. Grr. The Almighty Cowgod "You've got a Methodist Coloring Book, and you color really well, but don't color outside the lines, or God will send you to Hell, 'cause God hates war, and God hates crime, but He really hates people who color outside the lines." - The Dead Milkmen ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 21:59:54 -0400 (EDT) From: ADAM SMITH Subject: Re: shirts On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Andrew John CALLAGHAN wrote: > > > On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > I agree with Amanda on the shirt size issue. I normally wear a Large, > > and while an XL will do if nthing else is available, it usually pretty > > darn big! There are smaller people than 6'4" 230 lb. guys on this list, > > XXL would most likely fit almost no one. > > Matt > > -- > Well, I'm 6'3", 170lbs, but I usually wear XL... > > Definately get different sizes... > > Andrew C > I have a super-cool idea. How about this: Anyone who wishes to purchase a shirt, please email (whoever is in charge of the production) and tell them what size you need. Then there will be just enough shirts, and everyone will get the size they want. Charlemagne ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 21:16:45 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: stuff... hey...I have a friend who wants to get subscribed to the list, but whatever address it was she tried didn't work and I deleted my message with all that stuff in it many moons ago. Can somebody remind me? Thanks. (oh, and the instructions for getting on the list and the digest both would be helpful, 'cause she doesn't know which one she wants to be on yet.) You know, I had a dream with Them in it the other night...I dreamed I worked at this really cool coffee house here in Lincoln and Flansburgh came in for a cup of coffee. Just like it was totally normal for him to be here. I was, of course, freaking out because I was serving coffee to They Might Be Giants. :) Anyway, I better go study for my test now... I'll be up there on the wall at the store, --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: edison lab Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 22:34:54 -0400 (EDT) Heyas, I am going to be attending the Wax Recording Session thingy at the Edison Laboratory where TMBG will be in the wonderful state of New Jersey and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to bring a camera to this event? I think I may try to get a tape player to copy it as it is going to be accoustic and only 75 people there so it should come out pretty good in quality I hope. My mom just got a camera so now I can take pictures! Ya-hoo. Now if only my friend would develop the pics from the e-town show. Mattius (who hopes his dad will lend him the car to go on the 3 1/2 hour drive to NJ) -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 01:50:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: TMBG on the radio Hi all. They were supposed to be appearing on a local radio station 102.1 FM) here in Toronto tonight, but had to be re-scheduled for next Wednesday, becasuse, as the DJ said "we got a call from Them...They were in the studio, and They just decided They didn't want to interrupt the session 'cause it was going so well..." So hopefully, next week They'll give and interview, and maybe play some new songs! But in the meantime, THEY ARE IN THE STUDIO!!! That must mean the new album is well on it's way! Also, since They are doing appearances on Toronto radio, a concert here in Toronto must be soon to come. You are all invited to share in the music when this festive day arrives, but you will have to find your own lodgings for the night...sorry. I will post the details of the radio show by next week...maybe a transcript or something. I just came back from seeing James and the Giant Peach. Good movie, but I'm afraid I can't agree that one of the reporters looked like Flansburgh. There were three of them. The first guy was way too fat to be Flans, the second guy looked more like David Byrne than Flansburgh...and I'm sure nobody meant the third guy, who is black. But that's just my opinion, so please don't firebomb my house. Alex...who lookes like a cross between Rowan Atkinson and John Linnell, according to Matthew James. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-109 ******************************