Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-110 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 110 Friday, 19 April 1996 Today's Topics: (none) Radio and shirts Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-109 the power of dial a song? Re: TMBG on the radio RE: Tiny Toons Re: top 5 favorites Re: back o' shirt and other stuff Drink Me I played them shirts Re: Drink Me No, I mean it: Maudlin? Lots and lots of stuff.... Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? Re: Lots and lots of stuff.... Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? Hand..... death! skulls! fun stuff! Re: Tiny Toons Re: death! skulls! fun stuff! Re: death! skulls! fun stuff! Re: death! skulls! fun stuff! T-shirt slogan... Cool Quotes Re: shirts Re: Tiny Toons Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? Re: Lots and lots of stuff.... Lag, and losing messages... Re: top 5 favorites Re: death! skulls! fun stuff! Re: T-shirt slogan... The Every Couple of Days T-Shirt Update TMBG on Liquid TV Sam and Randy Return of the Musical Shoes Re: Ben's "Mrs. Train" interpretation Kiss me Son of God just curious... Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 12:49:01 +0200 >>Erm, your remembering this song may not be completely unconnected to the >>imaginative chorus.....(please affect Billy Corgan voice at this point): >Imaginative? C'mon, list all of the sedatives you're on right >now....Lithium? Prozac? We need to be sure about this. Ok, I admit it, I've been using irony without a license - sorry, that was "imaginative chorus" meant in the same way as "New Kids On The Block are a serious band" and "John Major has so much charisma". Sorry to use a British example, but I don't feel sufficiently well-informed to slag off any American politicians (although I found the third candidate in your last elections rather amusing I'm afraid - ie the one who wasn't Bush or Clinton) >>Unfortunately, I hate the song so much, I can't stand to really memorize the >>lyrics...sorry:) I really don't blame you for not liking the song - no music is to everyone's taste. Despite what you may believe from my address I'm actually in Germany, where they have a band who THEY call "The Kelly Family", and I call "Demon-spawn-sent-by-the-horned-one-to-lower-the-standard-of-the-human-race", which makes for a lot of confusing conversations with fans. >> No, rain is damp. Water is wet. Hmm, but rain is water therefore rain is both damp and wet. >National Health Glasses. Well, TMBG hit #10 in the UK when Flans was >wearing the Black Horn rims...go figure. Maybe Brits have a fetish for >weird-looking guys in ugly glasses. I've got the Usenet right now. >uk.sex.fetish.guys-in-ugly.glasses Trust me, weird-looking guys in glasses is only one of a number of fetishes that we Brits have - but all the Conservative politicians seem to have the best ones. Keith ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:26:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: Radio and shirts Hi again. This weeks update of TMBG on my show at WTSR: 04/17: there was no song :( I had to play music with bands with at least 1 female member for a campus event that was sponsored by the TSC Women's Center. Nette, I know you told me I could play "Boat of Car", but I could not find a copy of the album, and there are 3 copies of the first album available! (I must get organized, and pretty damn soon.) Also, if I order a shirt, I would need at least a 3xl. If this is not possible, I just won't order. Later, Craig ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 08:51:45 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-109 >How about having the picture be the band tilting at windmills or >something? Maybe not Their picutures, b/c of copyright stuff, but two >guys in armor with a guitar and an accordian? Anyone? YES!!! I would love this design sooooo much...maybe (going against what i've said about not having a quote from flood...argh) we could have one of those weird lines from They Might Be Giants (the song not the album)...you know something along the lines of 'they might be' something or other. I think that would be great! Oh, and THEY ARE IN THE STUDIO?!?! ROCK ON! Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu "I got the gestures and sounds, got the timing down, It's uncanny, yeah, you'd think it was me... I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five, 'Best Imitation of Myself' *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: the power of dial a song? Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 08:39:00 P I was searching through the lyrics archive, and I found many songs that I hadn't heard. Most of which wre on "the power of dial a song". Does anybody have this? Is it a good quality tape? What songs are on it? If any one knows, and would be willing to do a trade please inform me!!! Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:44:40 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: TMBG on the radio > FM) here in Toronto tonight, but had to be re-scheduled for next > Wednesday, becasuse, as the DJ said "we got a call from Them...They were > in the studio, and They just decided They didn't want to interrupt the > session 'cause it was going so well..." So hopefully, next week They'll > give and interview, and maybe play some new songs! But in the meantime, > THEY ARE IN THE STUDIO!!! That must mean the new album is well on it's > way! Or...maybe it means they're in their houses recording...they have lots of equipment there...in which case its really nothing special (relativley, I mean here), I'd imagine. erik ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: Tiny Toons Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 08:44:00 P I remember agout 3 yrs ago flipping through the channels, and hereing instanbul. I was like holy crap!!! TMBG on tv. But I was disapointed that it was on TT. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 10:50:34 -0400 From: Susan Lyon Subject: Re: top 5 favorites At 11:36 PM 4/15/96 -0400, NyQuil67@aol.com wrote: >I wanna do a poll on everyone's top 5 favorite songs. Just to see what are >the most well-liked TMBG songs around. So if you want to respond please write >down your 5 favorite songs in order and I will post the results next weekend. > > > Adam at the moment, it's: 1. dinner bell 2. she's a hotel detective 3. don't lets start 4. james k polk 5. ana ng cheers...susan > > > > > >Will I ever meet my evil twin???? > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 10:59:38 -0400 From: Susan Lyon Subject: Re: back o' shirt and other stuff >>My submission for the back of the T-Shirt: >> >> tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org >> alt.music.tmbg >> http://www.tmbg.org/ >> >> It's free when you 'Net from work! d'oh! i was just gonna suggest "it's free when you surf from work!" it would have made such a good debut for me...sigh... d'oh #2: sorry i sent my top five to everyone...i'm still getting the hang of this dumb e-mail program... about t-shirt sizes...well...sorry but i think there's a big range of sizes of people on the list, and i don't think we're gonna be able to have them all in one size. some people don't want anything bigger than a large, but i need at least a xxl... other stuff...hmmm...i'm an INXP according to meyers-briggs, i'm 22 and not a student of any sort. i was on the old list and i might have a couple interesting messages from it holed away in the bowels of my net account... oh yeah...hi everybody! and a special poke-in-the-ribs to kevin, if he's still here... --susan, who can't think of anything witty to say... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:13:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Drink Me Are there any Drink Me fans out there? I have been a fan since 1993 when they opened for TMBG at JHU in Baltimore. My friend just sent me a copy of their 95 album "Sleep", and it is REALLY GOOD!!! I cannot stress that enough I think you all would love it, and also their self-titled 1992 album For anyone not familiar with their sound, Drink Me is an acoustic two-piece band that uses a zillion different instruments, especially horns, strings, and the ACCORDIAN! They have a folky sound reminiscent of my favorite 60s folk singers like Bobby Dylan or Arlo Guthrie. If anyone is a fan of Drink Me, please mail me, it would be good to know my friends and I are not the only ones. I know there is a Drink Me album with the 1995 Hello CD club, but I don't know if it's the same as Sleep. There is a really cool cover of "I Feel Good" on this album, it is so funny! -*-<<*Nola*>>-*- Stay up all night with me, and we'll watch the late late show. A laugh at the commercials for Mr. Microphone. ---"Stay Up All Night", Drink Me, from the album Drink Me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:35:31 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: I played them A couple nights ago I played my accordian at my schools "coffee house" again. I played WDTSS for a second time because everyone liked it so much the first time, and I played mammal which everyone also liked. I love spreading the message of TMBG... Liam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:53:57 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: shirts >ps. my vote for the back of the tee: the world's address > tmbg-list@tmbg.org > free when you net from work! > >whoever came up with that, you're a genius! I *really* liek this idear! I also like the idea of sending sizes to that person "in charge" of getting them. Who are you again? and what was your address? Cyndi Batson ************ Northwestern University c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 13:20:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: Drink Me Groove Child writes: > Are there any Drink Me fans out there? I love Drink Me. I haven't listened to anything of theirs since the self-titled album, but it was pretty damn cool. I was really annoyed when they ended up not opening for TMBG in Philly like I'd heard they were supposed to.. (Though, I ended up getting to see Brian Dewan open for Them twice, which was significantly amusing enough to make up for it.) (and yeah, this was four years ago.) I know there's a quote from me on the FAQ somewhere about Drink Me.. I used to describe them as a "cross between TMBG and Simon&Garfunkel" - they've got that folksy sound, and that zany sound, but it's sort of in the middle of the two.. I haven't been able to find any of their newer stuff, actually.. but now that I know it exists ("Sleep"?) I'll definitely have to go looking for it. :) *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 16:07:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: No, I mean it: Maudlin? This Amy Allison singer--does anyone like her Hello CD? Her nasality drives me UP A WALL!!!!! For your info, she sings on _Apollo 18_: "Something grabbed ahold of my hand, etc." I ask because I'm curious how people's opinions correspond to the new Hello Flyer opinion of her. I part, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 16:25:35 -0500 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Lots and lots of stuff.... Hello all! I've got lots to say, so let me begin: First, I've seen that Tiny Toons episode with Them a few times... I used to watch the show a lot so I saw it the first time it was aired and got Flood... Then all the other albums eventually... now I'm a big fan, and I wish I had seen that episode again, it's kind of cool... Second, I think the back of the shirts should say something like: The World's Address tmbg-list@tmbg.org www.tmbg.org It's free when you net/surf from work! I was also thinking something like "You'll never know what you'll find in your letterbox tomorrow" or "Wake up, smell the catfood in your 'mail account" ... okay, the second idea sucks, but only because I thought of it... slap me now. Well, I'm only 12 years old and pretty small for my age so PLEASE don't have the shirt only XL or XXL at least M or (hopefully) a small... but no one cares about me... slap me again. How much will the shirt cost again? $10 about? Not too expensive I hope... And the Johns on the front in armor would be kewl.. but it can only be a few colors, right? how about that kewl little guy from WDTSS? He's something that a TMBG fan would recognize, and it's not from flood.. but then it run's the risk of copyright crap... oh, well... slap me thoroughly now. Fourthly... Where can I get any EPs? Has anyone joined the information club? They say you get a free catalog and I wonder if it has all the EPs in there because the only copy I have of James K. Polk is on a microcassette taped out of my speakers from the RealAudio concert and the sound is really crappy and I can only make out a few words... Lastly, that thing on the tape of the pink album between songs is pretty kewl... it's really quiet but you can definitely tell that there's music there... Lastly (again), an e-mail address at tmbg.org would be REALLY kewl... if only it were free... oh, well... Lastly (for the last time), are They gonna perform here in Iowa sometime? I think I'll just move to the east coast... rats... Everyone, feel free to slap the Hexagon! - Braham Ketcham Email - hexagon@salamander.com - braham_ketcham@mail.decorah.k12.ia.us Web Site - http://www.salamander.com/~hexagon "In every jumbled pile of a person there's a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." - Where Your Eyes Don't Go, TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 18:12:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > This Amy Allison singer--does anyone like her Hello CD? Her nasality > drives me UP A WALL!!!!! Sample of me, while listening to my Hello Family Santa Special and accidenally letting it go past Flansy's 'Careless Santa' to that Amy Allison song: "[Music: Ending drum part ... 'When you grow-'] AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!" As you may have guessed, I would be _much_ happier if she had not been included on any of the Hello CDs. I couldn't believe it when I saw that they got a positive and overwhelming (or whatever) response to her! First of all, how do these people get to respond? And who are they getting this info from? I doubt it's that representative of the majority. I do know, however, that my sister likes it. (Maybe you have to be a girl to like it?) She deems it 'fuzzy.' For those of you who have no clue what that means, here are some examples of some other 'fuzzy' things: Birdhouse, Toddler Highway, End of the Tour, most of the kids on the JH cover (including the one on the front, she even likes her), the little pink marshmallow bunnies we got for easter, Dinner Bell, babies (especially babies!), fluffy geese, puppies, Disney movies, organized crime (wait, scratch that last item from the list...). Ok, you get the point. > For your info, she sings on _Apollo 18_: "Something grabbed ahold of my > hand, etc." Which is a perfect example of what she's good at singing: small parts that let the 'novelty' of her voice come through but not get annoying. Also, I don't think she's all that great at writing music (no offense). However, you almost have to admit that her voice is a female version of Linnell's that has taken itself just one step too far... RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 17:32:43 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Lots and lots of stuff.... On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Braham Ketcham wrote: > Second, I think the back of the shirts should say something like: > > The World's Address > tmbg-list@tmbg.org > www.tmbg.org > > It's free when you net/surf from work! I agree. Maybe overlayed on top of a picture of the earth or some other They global symbol... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 18:38:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > > This Amy Allison singer--does anyone like her Hello CD? Her nasality > drives me UP A WALL!!!!! > > For your info, she sings on _Apollo 18_: "Something grabbed ahold of my > hand, etc." > You know, that was always the ONE PART of Fingertips that I didn't like. I absolutely loved the rest (and still do) and would listen to it through a bunch of times, but I'd skip past that one. Eventually, I calmed down a bit, and started listening to it. I still don't like it though. It bugs me. A lot. Her voice really gets on my nerves. They shoulda gotten someone else to sing it. --Jack, who needs to bake a cheesecake. http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (CYBORG) Subject: Hand..... Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 17:46:31 -0500 (CDT) I've always kind of liked the part with the hand, actually.... I think it's a pretty nice effect... I don't think I'd want to listen to more of that voice than what was there, though..... Consciousness: That annoying ,.*'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`'*. stretch of time between naps ,.*'` This message was brought to you by | ,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'` CJ "Cyborg" Kucera at St. Norbert College | WOW: Reciprocity `'*.,_______________kucecj@sncac.snc.edu__________.,*' ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 18:53:04 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: death! skulls! fun stuff! To the guy who's doing the t-shirts (I'm sorry, I forgot your name): what's your e-mail address? I'd like to be added to the list of people who want a shirt...oh, and if I could possibly order something smaller than XL, that would be great. Sleeves of XL shirts usually come down to my elbows :) (Well, XL would be OK if necessary, but XXL would be waaaaay too huge.) Cyndi, you asked about where I'm from in Nebraska...I'm from Lincoln. Actually, I'm originally from York, which is pretty close to Grand Island...wow, another (former) Nebraskan! OK, on to some actual direct TMBG content: I came up with an interp, sort of, of Where Your Eyes Don't Go. To me, this song is about fear of death, or more generally, just the understanding that we're mortal. "Should you worry when the skull head is in front of you, or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?"--or, in other words, which is worse: knowing that you will die eventually (knowing that "the skull head is in front of you"), or knowing that you can never know when that will happen (knowing that it's "always waiting where your eyes don't go")? Anyway, I didn't really analyze the whole song; it's a very rough interpretation. And yeah, I know there are people who are gonna start the whole "interpretations are useless" thing. Well, I'm an English major, dammit. I can't help it. :) You know, I've had "I Will Survive" stuck in my head all day... --Tara P.S. My friend Kylee is a brand-spankin'-new lister as of today. Say hi to her. Make lots of short people jokes. ;) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 20:24:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Tiny Toons Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: >Guess what... > it was the episode where they play Istanbul and Partical man on TT today >on Nickelodeon... I was kind upset when I saw this part in Istanbul where >Hampton was supposed to be JF and Plucky was 'posed to be JL... they just >shouldn't do that to the Johns... anyone else see it? > >(the only reason I saw it is because my little sister watches it everyday) Suuuuuure. We believe you. :) Really, though. I never especially liked TT's take on Istanbul. OTOH, the Particle Man video is priceless! Plucky as Particle Man...the whole thing is so funny! And of course there's the little comment Buster makes between songs: "Here's another video from 'They Might Be Giants'!