Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-111 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 111 Saturday, 20 April 1996 Today's Topics: Weird-Looking Guys in Glasses T-shirt ideas T-Shirts Guys with glasses... Digested Boba Mail t-shirt mayhem Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-110 Re: T-shirt ideas Re: T-shirt slogan... Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? Re: My answering machine Re: Kiss me Son of God Back Design Hey Kasey! Important T-shirt Byline Comment Re: Cool Quotes See the Constellation please? Power of Dial A Song Re: See the Constellation Re: pink question Re: more shirt stuff E-Town Concert & Stuff! 25 O' Clock Re: TMBG concert Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? (fwd) Re: TMBG on Liquid TV two-things Re: Cool Quotes favorite tmbg character Re: two-things 25 O' Clock Quotes from hell Re: two-things Re: two-things one more quote Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: janisv@partech.com Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 07:50:04 -0500 Subject: Weird-Looking Guys in Glasses On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Keith the Brit in Germany (and not Holland, so there) spake thusly: >Trust me, weird-looking guys in glasses is only one of a number of fetishes >that >we Brits have - but all the Conservative politicians seem to have the best >ones. Best glasses or best fetishes? Judging from what I've seen of those Parliament meetings on C-Span, I'd guess it's probably both. I, too have a strong...affinity, shall we say, for weird guys in glasses: along with John and John, Elvis Costello completes the trilogy whom I worship as my personal musical godheads . B-) -Janis (who even married a weird-looking guy in glasses once) PS: I've not been on this list long, so anyone who happened to catch TMBG and Costello at the Beacon in NYC earlier this year (I missed it), please feel free to gloat about it -- I'm curious to hear the tmbg-fan point of view on those shows, having already heard from the Elvis camp. Thanks! ================== "When you're following an angel Does it mean you have to throw your body Off a building?" -They Might Be Giants "You try to love her, but she's so contrary, Like a chainsaw running through a dictionary." -Elvis the C; "Our Little Angel" ================== ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: T-shirt ideas Date: Fri, 19 Apr 96 8:44:52 EDT I think "www.tmbg.org -- It's free when you surf from work" is a good slogan. Kudos to the authors. If anyone is interested in other slogans, perhaps for a ballot or something, how about: (From memory, sorry they're not verbatim) I took off the intellectuals and put on They Might be Giants. - from Misc. T This is Lesley Anne Down with the daily home astrology report. - from Hideaway Folk Family - TMBG album These both remind me of the list in a way. -- john ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: T-Shirts Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:43:03 -0400 (EDT) I've only been loosly following the T-Shirt thing so I'm not sure who's in charge...but if you can get a design and pricing I'd be happy to put up a web page on www.tmbg.org with a picture of the design and a form for people to order from. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:48:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Rasputin Subject: Guys with glasses... Hello, Everyone. I am new to the list, but I happened to get an e-mail about weird guys with glasses. I am one of those guys. In fact, Jeanette Frost (Johnette Frostburg) my best friend here at college tells me I look like Flansburg...go figure. Of course, I wear contact lenses most of the time. There is in particular a picture of Flans that has the closest similarity. It is linked to my page(also it is the wallpaper of Jeanette's). My page (shameless plug) URL is: http://www.trenton.edu/~baenzige/ tell me what ya think..later! ------------------------------ From: "BOBA FETT" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:25:15 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail As far as the T-Shirts go, I'm sorta gonna need at least an XXL or XXXL (as some of you E-Town goers know, I'm kinda big) I mean a L or an XL really isn't that flattering on a 300 lb kinda guy like your lovable-huggable Boba!! Hey Alex, you do look like Rowan Atkinson & John Linnell. Wow!! I am a BFTMBGKG!! (Big, Fluffy, They Might Be Giants, Kinda-Guy) Boba is ouderhere!! -Matthew Ondrey, who's just a woofer covered in wood. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "I'VE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO TONIGHT THAN DIE" - SPRINGER, TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE, 1986 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 96 10:00:54 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: t-shirt mayhem hi all! i'm thinking of all the other people who have written in about getting smaller sizes of the shirts, and i was thinking...if they need to be ordered by the dozen (thats the latest i have heard), do we have twelve people that would like a M? i am one! maybe you can email me and tell me and we can see if its feasible. t-shirt guy, is this a possibility? have a sunshiney day! peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:15:13 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-110 Ok, for one thing, I like the girl who sings the 'something grabbed ahold of my hand' bit...she doesn't annoy me at all...I always figured it was because i'd been 'nasally exposed' to the johns so much already! I haven't heard more than that one fingertips verse with her though, so i'm not really an authority on the subject. To the person that mentioned pearl: I'm not sure if i have my pearl lore down, did list members or something make that up? I thought John & John called her pearl? I'm so confused... And you don't mean the John Henry Girl do you??!! She is Persephone! JOHN HENRY GIRL IS OFFICIALLY AND ALWAYS WILL HOLD HER RIGHTFULL NAME OF 'PERSEPHONE' *respectful silence* *sniff* thank you *dabbing at eyes with handkercheif to remove the tears brought there by such a touching moment...* Nathan Todd (Linnel) *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* ntodd@emba.uvm.edu "I got the gestures and sounds, got the timing down, It's uncanny, yeah, you'd think it was me... I do the best imitation of myself." -Ben Folds Five, 'Best Imitation of Myself' *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 11:31:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Bird Subject: Re: T-shirt ideas On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, John Pletikapich wrote: > I think "www.tmbg.org -- It's free when you surf from work" is a > good slogan. Kudos to the authors. > I'm sorry, I just have to cringe whenever I see the word "surf" applied to the net. I'm much more in favor of the original idea, "Free when you Net from work." I'm also in favor of having both the list address and the web site on the shirt. Bob -- Robert Bird "Mammal, mammal...Their names are called, rbird@utk.edu they raise a paw: the bat, the cat... University of Tennessee dolphin and dog, koala bear and hog..." http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:19:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: T-shirt slogan... On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, spiralling shape wrote: > > it appears that the voices in my head are back, once again persephone has > come to tell you fellow members of this list here true name. please don't > make her hurt anyone. her name is PERSEPHONE. Dunno.... Persephone was a goddess, and the JH girl is far from celestial......... why not just call her the scary chick and leave it at that? Not to invoke anyone's rage, mind you...... Later, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:22:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Joyce Frost wrote: > Funny she always reminded me of that one chic from "The Rocky Horror > Picture Show"...who knows I never really liked the way she sounded > either, but hey I hated that movie...it had it's moments but on the whole > I hated it. Who? Susan Sarandon? Oh... Columbia! "Little" Nell Campbell. Ehhh\... I don't see it. But, that's just me. I hate that movie too. Unfortunately, I go to see it every week. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. The movie sucks, but the social experience is... interesting, to say the least. Unique is another good word. Everyone should try it once. A good place to see it is Cinema East in Nyack, NY. If you're in the area on a Saturday at midnight, stop by and say hello. It'd be fun to have some fellow listers meet at a non-TMBG event. --Jack Curley http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 12:59:20 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Re: My answering machine >Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:54:52 -0500 (CDT) >From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> >Subject: My Answering Machine > >I have TMBG on my answering machine now! (Gee, now there's a novel >concept...They Might Be Giants on an answering machine.) I put the >beginning of "Destination Moon" on my message: "Don't bother to call >this room / There's nobody here who can pick up". Pretty clever, if I do >say so myself. Just thought I'd share. :) >--Tara I used to ahve that on my answering machine too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last year. People said that it was long and they couldn't understand the words well, but it was fun while it lasted. That song is perfect for an answering machine. :) Ana Ng ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 15:57:28 -0400 Subject: Re: Kiss me Son of God In a message dated 96-04-19 02:16:34 EDT, some guy writes: >Is this song from the perspective of the Devil, is he supposed to be the >one singing this? This is what my friend and I came up with. >Any dissenters? Bring em on! ;) It's all about this televangelist who's been making a fortune off the working class by embezzling their donations.... "I built a little empire out of some crazy garbage..." Then he used to have friends and people who respected him, but now the people that really know him basically hate him "I destroyed a bond of friendship..." "I look like Jesus, so they say, 'but Mr. Jesus is very far away' " I guess this part is about how everyone believes him to be this great guy, ranking with Jesus and stuff, and really he's quite far from that... there seemed to be a lot more, but it's all escaping me.... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 15:57:39 -0400 Subject: Back Design I didn't actually make any of this up, but this is how I'd like to see the back of the shirt arranged (and it should all be centered) The Worlds Address: tmbg-list@tmbg.org www.tmbg.org - It's free when you Net from work --- I just got the idea that maybe it should say "It's free when you Net from the college that your sucking the blood out of" (but that only really applies to me...) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 16:40:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Hey Kasey! Kasey, Great work with your "Mrs. Train" interpretation. The highlights for me were the play on words ("misses train") and the notion of the missing head, as in castration. I could buy it. Psycho-logy gets my goat a little, but your interpretation I found quite fun with Freudian spirals and such. Talking somewhat expressionistically, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 16:47:40 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Important T-shirt Byline Comment I think that it would be a BAD idea to have tmbg-list@tmbg.org on the shirt. Bad idea, bad! Just consider the outcome. Hordes of people see listas wearing their spiffy shirts and say, "Hey, I want to be a member of that list too!" So what does the person do? Sends a message to this mailing list asking to join. Picture to yourself the chaos that would ensue. INSTEAD, the shirt should have the address tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org. That way, when people want to join and send an email message to the address, they get an automated response instructing them about joining the list--and we don't have to read all the junk mail. Make sense? I'm sure all those who were subscribed to the former incarnation of the list would agree. The problem was rampant. -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:40:50 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: Re: Cool Quotes Butrose17@aol.com wrote: > > I'm looking for any cool quotes that any one might have out there. I don't > know why, I just like to read quotes. So, if any one has any, then please > e-mail me! I might even post the ones that I like best. I don't know. Just > send them to me!!! > > Thanx, > Jordan- the blonde beastAre you speaking of TMBG quotes, or of other things. I've got my two favorite other things listed. If you were talking about TMBG then, sorry! "I am a master of Kung Fu, Karate, Nijitsu...and lots of shit you ain't ever heard of," Kung Fu Joe, I'm going to get you sucker -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:45:23 -0400 Subject: See the Constellation everyone- (i tried sending this earlier but it got messed up) if you listen to the end of See the Constellation very closely (and loudly) you can hear a faint circus tune what is it? could somebody expalin? (if this got repeated on the list sorry, but the aol mail thing messed it up) oh well (aka) kurt ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 18:00:41 -0400 Subject: please? Can I beg that the "Name The JH Girl" debate not start again? Pretty please? I still have nightmares about having to delete all that mail. Love, Brooks, who has been listing for a year but only recently started posting. http://users.aol.com/mikewyz/cowtownfaq.html ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 18:13:44 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Power of Dial A Song Organization: Rollins College I have the best possible copy of this tape, ie a direct copy from the guy who put it together in 1994. Basically, it's a 100-minute tape off of the telephone of an incredible mass of tmbg stuff. The quality is, well, off the telephone. You do the math. But it's divided into three parts: Unreleased songs that They wrote and for some reason, never got around to cleaning up and releasing. This includes such songs as Now That I Have Everything (Their first recorded song!), We Just Go Nuts at XMastime, Cupid, I Might Be Giants Too, Counterfeit Fake, Honey I'm Home, Writing On The Wall, King of Wingo, and about 30 more minutes of never-before-heard bliss. The second part is DAS's intended for the then-unreleased John Henry, including Ondine, Don't Make Me kill you Again (now one song), Subliminal, a cool acoustic Spy, Sleeping in the Flowers (basically all chorus), Dest. Moon, Meet James Ensor, and a couple more. The third part is released DAS's, with tons of different demos of lots of songs... I Pal I bears no resemblance to the final copy, i Blame You is Free Bird, Birdhouse and Ana Ng and Purple Toupee have many lyrical differences, Turn Around is just the chorus, WDTSS? is from lincoln-era, Where Your Eyes Don't Go is acoustic and IMHO better than the released version... and a mess of other stuff. Anyway, this is a great tape if you like cool TMBG rarities and don't mind how stuff sounds over the phone. If anyone wants to trade for a copy, email me... destin.berthelot@rollins.edu... Destin http://hound.rollins.edu/personal/~dberthelot/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 96 15:33:47 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re: See the Constellation On 4/19/96 3:19 PM, Kurt wrote: >if you listen to the end of See the Constellation very closely (and loudly) >you can hear a faint circus tune >what is it? >could somebody expalin? What it means is that They have a secret, burning desire to run away and join the circus. :) SuzyB "We'll drink as much as we want - we're FREAKS!" - Kids in the Hall ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 18:24:55 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: pink question On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, J. L. Moquin wrote: > ok, i gotta question for the list at large. does anyone else have an > original cassette of the first (pink) TMBG album? is there anything... > well... *odd* about it? because i bought my copy on tape about 8 or > 9 years ago, when it was close to newly-released. in the background > between songs, very faintly, you can hear music. i thought this was > just "tape bleed", but the music is the four songs from the "Don't > Let's Start" EP ("DLS", "Hi, We're the Replacements", "The Famous Person > Polka" and "When it Rains it Snows"), three of which aren't *on* the > pink album. this is especially prominent at the end of one side, where > there is a lot of empty tape. the songs play all the way through, > in order, and the volume kinda oscillates between extremely faint and > almost audible at normal volume. I listened to mine and got nothing but "tape bleed." *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 18:29:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: more shirt stuff > I acutally think that would be a great idea! If only we had a cool picture > of them in a club or coffee house or something cool maybe in NYC. Or have > someone stealing their song or something who knows? hmmm > Or maybe someting train related, the white faced conductor from Turn Around. > This is cool, I'll have to try to think of more stuff. Or maybe the white faced conductor riding on/with Mrs. Train. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ From: joe.kopera@cynosure.com (Joe Kopera) Subject: E-Town Concert & Stuff! Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:46:16 GMT Organization: Cynosure Online - 410-781-6271 Hello! Aha! I like don't post regularly or much at all, but I just wanted to say Hi! to all the list buddies I met at the concert! I am Joe, the guy from Baltimore with the butterfly and the purple shirt and who gave away my purple touppee. Like, ya`ll should E-mail me since my provider is back up and we can chat. But most of all. That was one daaaamn good concert. They played a conga rhythm just for us conga-liners!!! ... Joe.Kopera@cynosure.com - Disgruntled Teen, Baltimore, Md. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 22:37:07 -0400 Subject: 25 O' Clock I've been listening to the They version of 25 O' Clock, from "a Testimonial Dinner" the XTC tribute that I got about a week ago and I've noticed that in the bridge their is this weird part where it goes from real slow undecipherable speech to real fast indecipherible speech... I messed around with it with a few sound utilities on my computer but I've had no luck in discovering what the heck it is... Does anyone know what they are saying? Does anyone know whether it was in the original, XTC version? not They related, but does anyone know if there is a Dilbert mailing list? hmm? confused as always as to what it is the voices in my head are really saying, it's me ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 23:51:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: TMBG concert On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Mark M. Iles wrote: > > > On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > > > BTW, Flansburgh was a real dickhead to my best friend. > > He wouldn't even speak to him. > > If he's anything like you, I don't blame him. > > I just love flame-bait. > > > Mark > Flame-bait huh? That's just sooo evil :).. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: No, I mean it: Maudlin? (fwd) Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 00:12:49 -0400 (EDT) > > On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Joyce Frost wrote: > > > Funny she always reminded me of that one chic from "The Rocky Horror > > Picture Show"...who knows I never really liked the way she sounded > > either, but hey I hated that movie...it had it's moments but on the whole > > I hated it. > > Who? Susan Sarandon? Oh... Columbia! "Little" Nell Campbell. Ehhh\... I > don't see it. But, that's just me. I hate that movie too. Unfortunately, > I go to see it every week. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. The > movie sucks, but the social experience is... interesting, to say the > least. Unique is another good word. Everyone should try it once. A good > place to see it is Cinema East in Nyack, NY. If you're in the area on a > Saturday at midnight, stop by and say hello. It'd be fun to have some > fellow listers meet at a non-TMBG event. You are oh so right about the experience. I saw it on video the first time at my friend's house and I just didn't like it. then I went to the Towson Commons movie theatre in the heart of Towson! It was awesome! The biggest turn around of movie watching ever. Really wild live. they've been playing it there for a few years now at midnight on the weekends, pretty fun. One of the funny things that happened was taht people used to be able to bring rice but it began to take them up to 8 hours to clean it up so they said this certain day would be the last rice day. So what did people do? They brought in huge 20 lbs bags of rice and just threw throughout the movie! Once I threw the toilet paper and got it caught on a wire hanging down and for the rest of the movie you could see the projection of a piece of toiet paper hanging across the screen ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 00:15:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: TMBG on Liquid TV On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Groove Child wrote: > In my heyday, that being the early 90s when I was in 8th or 9th grade, > yes I guess that wasn't really my heyday but I thought it would be fun to > act old. > > Wow, that was NOT a sentence. > > Anyway, Mary Ellen and I used to watch a little thing on MTV called > LIquid Television, a mighty and wondrous show. > It spawned such toons as Beavis and Butthead and Aeon Flux, oh yes it did. > > Well, one of the first times I heard TMBG was on that show, it was a > cartoon of the earth, with little naked aborigines on it (or something) > and they danced around to Istanbul. > > Now that I think about it, this was probably the first time I heard the > song, not on Tiny Toons. Interesting. > > Does anyone else remember that? Is that maybe the video for Istanbul, > and they just didn't give it the credit it deserves? It was a very weird > cartoon. > > I miss my Liquid TV! > > -*-<<*Nola*>>-*- > I remember it!! I used to be a loyal liquid tv watcher..Every Sunday at midnight...And I do remember seeing the Istanbul video...It was set on a blue screen, and it was a cartoon wasn't it? I can remember...Ah well...Liquid TV got kinda public, and it went to hell..Now I'm slightly off on a tangent. I'm going to stop now. Farewell good people of the list.. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 23:17:14 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: two-things ok... i have two things: 1) i'm very pleased to announce that the john's will be playing at bogat's in cincinnati, oh on may 17, and i will be there!!! i hope to see everyone there also. 2)the second is a question ..... in LETTER BOX (FLOOD) the words go right after he says "sorrow" become impossible for me or any of my friends to make out. can anyone tell me what he says. p.s. --- everyone e-mail jkl@roughbros.com to join this list ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Cool Quotes Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 00:24:13 -0400 (EDT) > Butrose17@aol.com wrote: > > > > I'm looking for any cool quotes that any one might have out there. I don't > > know why, I just like to read quotes. So, if any one has any, then please > > e-mail me! I might even post the ones that I like best. I don't know. Just > > send them to me!!! > > > > Thanx, "Don't make me get out my can of whoop-ass" -my friend, Phil "Science fiction becomes science fact!" -me -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: favorite tmbg character Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 00:37:05 -0400 (EDT) Heyas, I think my favorite TMBG character is from Turn Around, the engineer who had a paper white mask of evil! He rocks, I would love him on a shirt (hint, hint* ;) Matt I think him on the back would be even better too, kinda looking back out of the train as it speeeds on, cool eh? -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 00:33:33 -0400 Subject: Re: two-things In a message dated 96-04-20 00:21:31 EDT, you write: >2)the second is a question ..... in LETTER BOX (FLOOD) the words go right >after he says "sorrow" become impossible for me or any of my friends to >make out. can anyone tell me what he says. > > "Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain 'til tomorrow!" Kay ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: 25 O' Clock Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 00:46:36 -0400 (EDT) > I've been listening to the They version of 25 O' Clock, from "a Testimonial > Dinner" the XTC tribute that I got about a week ago and I've noticed that in > the bridge their is this weird part where it goes from real slow > undecipherable speech to real fast indecipherible speech... I messed around > with it with a few sound utilities on my computer but I've had no luck in > discovering what the heck it is... Does anyone know what they are saying? > Does anyone know whether it was in the original, XTC version? > > not They related, but does anyone know if there is a Dilbert mailing list? > hmm? > > confused as always as to what it is the voices in my head are really saying, > it's me > You are right that is very hard to tell what they are saying. I will as my friend as he has this Dukes of Stratosphere CD and all other XTC albums for taht matter. He told me that this album (XTC one) was supposed to sound like Pink Floyd, he said all the songs on the Dukes album were supposed to be retro type songs. I'll see if he can decipher and also find out the differences in the two versions. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 01:53:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Quotes from hell Here's some I like: "Don't ever touch the sacrificial fluid. Okey dokey?" --Sam Raimi, "Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except", 1985 "I've looked death in the face a dozen times. It doesn't look like you." --Christopher Walken, "Day Of Atonement", 1992 "Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen." --Bill Paxton, "Aliens", 1986 "Come over here, big boy, I want to see your willy." --Holly Gilliam, "Brazil", 1985 "Suck my dick, master. Suck my motherfucking dick." --Eddie Murphy, "Delirious", 1983 "We've got a flying mouse to kill, and I wanna clean my claws." --Jack Nicholson, "Batman" "If this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador?!" --James Earl Jones, "Star Wars", 1977 "I'll chew on a dog." --Michael Keaton, "Beetlejuice", 1988 "Dottie, I like you. LIKE! I LIKE you." --Pee Wee Herman, "Pee Wee's Big Adventure", 1985 "If she tries to blackmail me, I'll push her out a higher window. For now, I got better fish to fry." --Christopher Walken, "Batman Returns", 1992 "You stupid fucking cunt." --Al Pacino, "Glengarry Glen Ross", 1992 "Stop, Dave." --Douglas Rain, "2001 A Space Odyssey", 1968 "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" --Michael Palin, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", 1975 "Heineken! Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!" --Dennis Hopper, "Blue Velvet", 1986 "If I say it's safe to surf this beach, Captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!" --Robert Duvall, "Apocalypse Now", 1979 "The future isn't what it used to be." --Robert DeNiro, "Angel Heart", 1987 "First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow." --Bruce Campbell, "Army Of Darkness", 1993 Oh, there's so many more, but so little time. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 02:01:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: two-things On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Bob Schroer wrote: > 2)the second is a question ..... in LETTER BOX (FLOOD) the words go right > after he says "sorrow" become impossible for me or any of my friends to > make out. can anyone tell me what he says. I always thought he says "run around run around with a hole in your head 'til tomo - rroooooooow". In fact, let me check the lyric sheet...hold on...oh, I see your dilema...those lyrics aren't printed, are they? Oh well, that's what it sound like They're saying to me. Anyone else have any theories. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 02:09:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: two-things On Sat, 20 Apr 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 96-04-20 00:21:31 EDT, you write: > > >2)the second is a question ..... in LETTER BOX (FLOOD) the words go right > >after he says "sorrow" become impossible for me or any of my friends to > >make out. can anyone tell me what he says. > > > > > > > "Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain 'til tomorrow!" This will teach me to read all my mail before opening my big mouth. After reading this different take on the lyric, I was propmted to actually listen to the song, and have come to the conlusion that the above lyric is probably correct...of course, since I have been singing it my way ever since I first heard the song (about six years now), I doubt that I'll ever be able to change. Dem's de breaks. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 02:46:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: one more quote How could I forget the following two quotes from The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension? They were spoken by Peter Weller and John Lithgow respectively. "Remember...wherever you go, there you are." and... "Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" Just the best. Mike. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-111 ******************************