Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-114 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 114 Tuesday, 23 April 1996 Today's Topics: TMBG & Star Wars: Rebel Assault II RE: nemun Marcus cookies Re: Lots of random stuff here Digested Boba Mail: Persephone Stupid Mr. Me Joshua Fried's "Larger than Life" Flan Art more alice. I dream of Flansburgh Re: I dream of Flansburgh Yay! Re: I dream of Flansburgh Re: I dream of Flansburgh flashback Re: radio show various things Wax Sessions Bill and Ted's excellent freak show. Vanity E-Mail addresses Re: Music snippets reply Clarifications newbie to tmbg online...not a tmbg newbie! the guitar! Re: the guitar! people I owe stuff to Re: Video, shmideo. And other insane ramblings. Re: Re[2]: singles Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-113 more cool quotes Commenting from file (Fwd) Re: I dream of Flansburgh Another reason to be pink... Liquid TV and other miscellany shirt lyrics Re: Re[2]: Important T-shirt Byline Comment Re: two-things Re: women and men Re: I dream of Flansburgh My T-shirt idea (again...) Re: My T-shirt idea (again...) Re: quote Re: Another reason to be pink... Re: I dream of Flansburgh (none) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 01:37:00 -0700 From: Doug Shannon Subject: TMBG & Star Wars: Rebel Assault II I'm new to the list, but I thought I'd contribute by sharing a cool secret thing in a big-bugdet video game that has to do with TMBG. If you or a friend has a copy of Rebel Assault II for PC or Mac, you can call up a picture of me and a bunch of stuff off of my desk, prominently featuring a TMBG coffee mug (although to me it's a TMBG hot chocolate mug) and the Flood CD. While the resolution is a little weak, anyone who's familiar with the coffee mug and the cover of Flood should be able to recognize it. To see the image, start Rebel Assault II and create a new pilot. At the prompt where you enter your name, type "Doug Shannon". After pressing return you should get a picture of me on the left, with a bunch of stuff that somehow represents me at work on the right . There's the TMBG mug and the Flood CD and a Koosh ball and a nerf dart or two and a bunch of other stuff. By the way, Rebel Assault II is a CD ROM video game based in the Star Wars Universe, put out by LucasArts. I worked on the game and was able to get a few screens of my own into it so that's what I did. Just thought that fellow TMBG fans may appreciate it. Doug Shannon dougs@lucasarts.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:38:45 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: RE: nemun Marcus cookies On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Emily Lerche Kerr wrote: > Hey, I've made that recipe for those cookies before. I got it over e-mail. > They are SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! > If you like chocolate, then I suggest you make them. they are > DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > I want to make more, but I don't have ingredients. *sigh* I let a bunch > of people try them because we got over two gallon ice-cream buckets full of > them. Everyone liked them. :) > YUMMY! What are Hershey bars like, though? We don't have them in Britain. Could someone describe them? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:42:35 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Lots of random stuff here Dear Ryan, Are you sure your Alice book was illustrated by John Lenniel??? Could be Tenniel, you know. Anyway, three favourite bands: 1) Cardigans 2) Dubstar 3) The Smiths Seeya, Mark ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:30:29 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail: Persephone Persephone, hmm. She looks exactly, exactly mind you, like my next door neighbor, Janean. Therefore, to Boba, she is Janean. Is there any possible way to decide for sure what goes on the shirt? Just curious, Boba out. -Matthew Ondrey, who's a blue thing underneath your pillow. MJO5733@ANUBIS.WESTMORELAND.CC.PA.US "I'VE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO TONIGHT THAN DIE" - SPRINGER, ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:08:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Stupid Mr. Me Ben or Been here. A correction: "Poncho Bernstein." NOT "Pancho Bernstein." Somewhat retaining, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:09:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Joshua Fried's "Larger than Life" Ben or Been here. Call Ben's Dial-A-Song to hear (every once and awhile) another rare or much-liked TMBG TUNE. What's on now? Well, Joshua Fried remade "She's Actual Size" into a reggae-rap song called "Larger than Life." "You theenk she's beeg, you theenk she's la'jer daan life But eef you open up your eyes you see she's actual size!" Ben's Dial-A-Song: (614) 823-BLUE asjdflkjaslkdjflkjasdljfkjasdkj, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:21:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Flan Art *************** ****** ****** ******* ***** *************** ****** ******** ***** * ***** ****** ****** **** **** ***** ** ***** ****** ****** ***** ***** ***** *** ***** *********** ****** ************** ***** *** ***** *********** *********** ************** ***** *** ***** ****** *********** ***** ***** ***** *** ***** ****** *********** ***** ***** ***** *** ***** ****** *********** ***** ***** ***** ******** ****** *********** ***** ***** ***** ******* is the Mono Puff Man. Can't wait for the Ryko release! Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:33:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: more alice. Wow! I'm gonna have to read over Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass again for connections to TMBG. That's awesome! I have Jabberwocky in my .plan thingie when you finger my account...oh, and speaking of such stuff, anyone who likes Alice in Wonderland, etc. should really read Salman Rushdie's _Haroun and the Sea of Stories_. It's the kind of thing that a kid would like to have read to them, but at the same time it has deeper meaning. Kinda like TMBG lyrics, methinks. fire alarms going off in my head, --Tara btw, Matt James: it's not soda, it's POP! :) :) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 11:16:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: I dream of Flansburgh I had a dream...I had an awsome dream. I dreamt that I was at a concert where only Flansburgh was performing. It was in a big gymnasium, with seats, but for some reason, the lights were never turned off for the entire show. Anyway, after the concert, the people around me were very displeased...they didn't like the show at all. In fact, Flansburgh came up to the crowd of people I was with, and they started to bad-mouth him! He became visibly upset and walked away. Later, he passed by me again, and I stopped him and told him how great he was...I think my exact words were "I'd come to see you even if you stood on the stage and whistled through your nose...you'd still be great." This made him much happier. He thanked me and kept turning around to thank me again, as he walked away. There was other stuff that happed but I can't remember that anymore. On a totaly different note...I'm glad someone finally mentioned the song "Women and Men". Although I've never seen or heard it performed live, it happens to be one of my favourite songs from Flood. I played it for my uncle last night, because we were discussing folk music. In my opinion, Flood is a very folky album because of songs like Women and Men, We Want a Rock, Letterbox, etc. I also played Phil Ochs, and Peter Paul and Mary for my uncle and out of all that, he said the TMBG sounded the most like folk...then again, he though Peter Paul and Mary sounded like country music, so I'm not sure what this man is thinking. Where was I, I forgot, the point that I was making...what do you folks think about Women and Men...good song? bad song? comments? opinions? cheese? small animals? Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:04:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: I dream of Flansburgh I'd just like to send out my support to all you Women & Men fans out there. I think it's one of Their best! By the way, to that guy who said he didn't want the list address put on the t-shirts because he didn't want people who didn't know a lot about TMBG on the list asking "dumb" questions--- don't be such a jerk! there was a time when you didn't know anything about Them. How would you have liked it if the other fans acted rudely toward you. You might not be a fan now. You're not doing the Band or the list a favor. Messages like yours annoy me more than, "Who are these John guys?" Love to all, Wubba ewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewew "We love jokes in bad taste. |Eric Webber | They make us feel better about ourselves" |erwst9+@pitt.edu | -Conan O'Brien ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "We intend to offend and alarm and annoy" -The Penis Wolves ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 13:11:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Yay! Thank you so much, Aimee!!! The pictures finally got here, and hoo boy is my best friend jealous...... I told her she could have Flanny on alternate weekends if she kept him away from fire and small animals. I think she won't kill him.... but anyway, Thanks again! They're great! Later, 'Nette, building a portable shrine w/ household appliances. :) +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 13:35:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: I dream of Flansburgh On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > I had a dream...I had an awsome dream. I dreamt that I was at a concert > where only Flansburgh was performing. It was in a big gymnasium, with > seats, but for some reason, the lights were never turned off for the > entire show. Anyway, after the concert, the people around me were very > displeased...they didn't like the show at all. In fact, Flansburgh came > up to the crowd of people I was with, and they started to bad-mouth him! > He became visibly upset and walked away. Later, he passed by me again, > and I stopped him and told him how great he was...I think my exact words > were "I'd come to see you even if you stood on the stage and whistled > through your nose...you'd still be great." This made him much happier. > He thanked me and kept turning around to thank me again, as he walked > away. There was other stuff that happed but I can't remember that > anymore. > Hrm.... I hope I wasn't one of those people who bad mouthed Flans. Of course, I'd also feel kind of offended if I wasn't there in the first place...oh, the irony! Anyway, I had a dream last night that I was watching something horrible on the local cable channel 10 and they played the song Twisting over some part of the show and I was really really happy. On the night before I left to see them in E-town I had a dream that I went to the show with Alex and it wasn't really them, it was somebody else but in the dream it seemed like them. And the show was really short and it kind of sucked. I tried to leave this gymnasium when it was over since there were, disappointingly, no Listers to meet, and I couldn't leave because Suzanne Somers was blocking my path. I knew she meant business when she kicked me in the gut. Well, that's all. Welcome to Doug Shannon, new to the list. Mike. "Right." Lenny said. "I'm getting the laser cannon." And he marched into the ship to get the laser cannon. "You guys really have a laser cannon? Like in the movies?" Colin said. Bobby nodded. "What is it with you humans? You can't seem to accept the fact that we have a laser cannon. Well we do, and it's really cool. Blows the hell out of whatever you point it at. Don't ask me how it works, though. Your guess is as good as mine." "What's also cool about it is that it changes colour when the intensity is varied." Ed said. "Oh, yeah!" Bobby said. "I forgot to mention that. I love that." "At its lowest intensity it glows a mild blue, and that's really nice, it's kind of sparkly. The middle setting will light a pretty nice fire and that's got a good orange cast to it. The highest, blow the shit out of the dump, napalm setting is a real mean looking red. Scary as hell, too, what with the whooshing sound it makes." Ed said. "With a bit of tweaking you can get it to look sort of green but that won't really do anything, it'll just look green. And it may cause a dent but it won't do nothing destructive. But it can be done." Said Bobby. "That's good," Lazar said. ---Michael Rose, "Lazar Sees Stars", 1995 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 96 10:18:46 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re: I dream of Flansburgh Replying to yours of 4/22/96 8:48 AM: >..I think my exact words were "I'd come to see you even if you stood on >the stage and whistled through your nose...you'd still be great." This >made him much happier. He thanked me and kept turning around to thank >me again, as he walked away. There was other stuff that happed but I >can't remember that anymore. So it's true what they say - you ARE weird. :) (Just for the record, I'd probably pay large sums of money to see Flansburgh stand on stage and do nothing but whistle through his nose, so you are not alone.) >...what do you folks think about Women and Men...good song? bad song? >comments? opinions? cheese? small animals? Ahh, Women and Men very good song. Ce n'est pas le fromage! Suzy B ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: flashback Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:10:45 -0400 (EDT) ON the Flashback cafe today on WHFS they played Birdhouse in your Soul right after playing Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order, it was totally excellent! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:37:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: radio show On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Sam Pearson wrote: > On the 24th of april) I am doing a special radio show dedicated to TMBG. > It's on Contact 89FM. It's gonna go for 3 hours. > > So what songs do you think it would be a tradegy not to play? > I think it would be a tragedy not to play all of their songs. But you must at least play She Was A Disco Detective. And Welcome To The Jungle. And The Famous Polka. <--<-- Whoah, both of these And James K. Polk. <--<-- lines have Polk in them. And The End Of The Tour. And... forget it. I'll go on forever. --Jack ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:39:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: various things I didn't want to waste alot of space, so I am condensing several replies in one... that Alex Winter thing: it was called "The Idiot Box". "Women and Men": love it. Flashbacks: That reminds me of when, last month, I heard Birdhouse on Channel One, that stupid news thing they show in High schools. Of course, no one in that crappy institution had any idea when I shrieked excitedly when it came on. They all listen to Garth Brooks. and something else: Yesterday I ran over my mailbox on accident with my dad's truck. When I got on the bus this morning, the busdriver asked me, "Amanda, what happened to your letterbox?" I thought that was kind of cool. I had "Letterbox" in my head all day. :) Amanda ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Wax Sessions Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:20:30 -0400 (EDT) Heyas, Two folks have fallen from the ranks of our NJ Wax Recording TMBG trip so if anyone around Balt.-DC is interested we have 2 spots. And if you have a car you can drive up there I would be most excited as I'd rather not drive ;) But I would pay for gas and tolls ;) Happy Matt/Sad Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:22:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Bill and Ted's excellent freak show. > that Alex Winter thing: it was called "The Idiot Box". > Hey did any of you see that movie that he wrote and directed? It was called "Freaked" I think. It's a really weird movie. It's got him, Mr T., Brooke Shields, Randy Quaid, Bobcat Goldthwait, that older brother guy from "Blossom", and a bunch of other people. It's so dumb that it's hysterical. It's worth a look, definitely. A WARNING: It's one of THOSE movies. You know the kind. When it comes on cable, you sit there and say, "This is stupid." But you don't turn it off. You still sit there and watch it. You don't know why, but you do. Ok, you've had your warning. --Jack ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Vanity E-Mail addresses Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:35:09 -0400 (EDT) Information on how to get a vanity e-mail alias@tmbg.org is now up on the web at http://www.tmbg.org/e-mail/, your vanity address is but a form away. Please read the entire page before submitting your request. If you don't have web access, then please mail me the following information: (please use the web if you have a browser, PLEASE) Your name and address. Your e-mail address. Your desired alias. When your address is in you'll get a confirmation note. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:24:00 -0400 Subject: Re: Music snippets reply In a message dated 96-04-21 22:44:32 EDT, gt8614a@prism.gatech.edu (dave hendrix) writes: > >Here are a couple of nifty URLs to some sites with various types of sound >files and links to other sites probably because someone asked about it. . . > >http://pathfinder.com/@@7P3DNYN6GwAAQHm9/elektra/artists/tmbg/tmbg.html >http://mendel.berkeley.edu/~steevm/tmbg-hafh.html >http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914/tmbgmidi.html >http://members.aol.com/hallofheds/ I'd like to let all of you know that my page at members.aol.com/hallofheds/ has moved to http://www.dragonfire.net/~Ruprecht/HallOfHeads/ (and if you take a look at it drop by the servers main page, Getting An Account with megs of webspace is free) > >also, you could try using a search engine, eh? ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Clarifications Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:32:53 -0400 (EDT) Let me try and answer some of the common questions now, since I've already gotten several of them! 1) How does this alias work? It's simple. You will get an alias such as "i.love.tmbg@tmbg.org". When someone sends mail to that address the mail will simply be forwarded to your real mail box. That's all it does. You can give that address out as where people should e-mail you. 2) Can I change my alias? Sure. I'll be putting up some web pages to do this soon, but basically you'll be able to give up your current alias and pick a new one. Please try not to change too often, and remember it's still first come first serve. 3) I'm a poor student, do I have to pay? No, my plea is for a donation, it is not mandatory. If you can only send $5, I would appreciate it. If you can send $50, I'll take that too. I'm a poor college student myself. Basically I've spent about $1,000 recently on a machine to run all the they might be giants web, ftp, and mail service, plus many hours of my own time. If I can get some of that cost back I'd A) Be a lot happier :-) and B) be more willing to offer more in the future. If you can't give, you can't give. Don't feel bad about it. I know what it's like to be flat broke and in school. If you can I encourage you to make a small (tax deductible :-) donation to help out tmbg.org and get your name on the sponsors page (coming soon). -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:50:38 -0700 From: jkl Organization: Rough Brothers Subject: newbie to tmbg online...not a tmbg newbie! I'M ON TMBG-list NOW.... i like to say hello to all the tmbg fan-actics!!!!! i'm not just another john! see ya!! john! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 17:23:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: the guitar! I just downloaded a quicktime of "The Guitar", and I noticed something. The scene where there are two lines of people, and one by one, somebody dances down the row holding a guitar, reminds me a whole lot of the part in Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealing" where they are all dancing down the supermarket aisle (not the conga line, but the other thing) during the guitar solo. Any one else see the similarity? Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:51:46 -0400 (EDT) From: chess piece face Subject: Re: the guitar! At 05:23 PM 4/22/96 -0400, Amanda wrote: > >I just downloaded a quicktime of "The Guitar", and I noticed something. . .[It] >reminds me a whole lot of the part in Jane's >Addiction's "Been Caught Stealing" where they are all dancing down the >supermarket aisle. . . Any one else see the similarity? I totally thought the same thing! The first time that I saw that video I actually found myself looking around the background for produce and such. I wonder who these people are that are playing the guitar? Is it Jim? I don't know. There is also what appears to be a disgruntled John Linnell at the begining that is shaking around so much that I bet he is drooling and belongs in a straight-jacket! Really cool song though. . . Dave Hendrix Georgia Institute of Technology gt8614a@prism.gatech.edu (404)206-1805 "Should you worry when the skull head is in front of you or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:14:37 -0500 (CDT) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: people I owe stuff to My saved mail was deleted by my webmaster (Bitch) so to the people who I am mailing things to via smail mail. please send you adress one more time. sorry to those who have to read this and don't care. *--------------------------------------- "The greatest trick the Devil ever played was making people believe he didn't exist" - The Usual Suspects --------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 12:39:29 +0000 Subject: Re: Video, shmideo. And other insane ramblings. > Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 17:33:25 -0500 (CDT) > From: Chris Kopenec > Subject: Re: Video, shmideo. > > On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > > > Does anyone else know if the Video Compilation (the real one, I mean, not > > the thing being put together on the list) can still be found anywhere? > > My friend tried to special order it somewhere (Blockbuster maybe?), and > > they told her that it was discontinued. Would ordering it through the > > info club be my best bet? Yeah, I know they take forever (gee, maybe if > > I hurry up and order RIGHT NOW, I'll get it before I graduate in two > > years and end up in grad school in another state!!), but I'm wondering if > > maybe they're the only place that has copies left. Has anybody else > > spotted it recently? > > I tried ordering from Barnes & Noble music and Sam Goody with no luck... > but I've gone to Suncoast and they said they could get it though it's > been a month or so...maybe i should check back with them.... > > Laterz > > --Tara I'd try a local "offbeat" or used music store, there's gotta be one in your neck o'the woods... I got my copy at Rasputin Records in Berkeley, CA. Suncoast, Sam Goody, and Tower all said that they'd never heard of it, had never carried it, and couldn't special order it. So find yourself a nice weird music store, and cross your fingers. My weird little TMBG story for the day: I spent last summer in Paraguay. Make that rural Paraguay. No running water, no safe drinking water, and very very sporadic electricity. Anyway, we listened to the radio a lot, and one day the radio guys were babbling on and on, and I'd tuned them out, which is very easy to do if somebody's speaking in a language you don't know very well. So I was listening but not really listening, if you catch my drift, and I heard, "blah blah blah blah They Might Be Giants." I jumped up and demanded if anybody around me had heard that. Nobody had. You all are my last hope: If any of you were in southeastern Paraguay in June, July, or August, and you happened to be tuned into Radio Guarani (95.3 FM and 104.2 FM, serving the Villarrica/ Cascos Rincon/ Cosa Pisadera/Rincon Dos/Ybytyryzu area), COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HECK THE DJ'S WERE SAYING??? Thank you. Gotta go now, nicole (aka the big duluth aka driver) cool quotes: "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something."--Wesley, in The Princess Bride "Whatever a woman does, she must do twice as well as a man to be considered half as good. Fortunately, this is not difficult." --attributed to various people "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."--Gloria Steinem "Life is like playing hide-and-go-seek with the invisible man."-- i dunno who came up with this one "There's something in my head, but it's not me."-- Pink Floyd "Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions and you are a conqueror. Kill all and you are God."-- Jean Rostand "Psychics will lead dogs to your body."-- fortune cookie message "You must kiss the serpent without fear. If it senses fear, it will devour you. If you kiss it without fear, it will lead you to the other side."-- Jim Morrison "The extreme oddness of existence is what reconciles me to it."-- Logan Pearsall Smith All quotes except the first three are reprinted from the El Gato, Los Gatos High's sorta-monthly paper. "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:32:42 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Re[2]: singles > Do you, by any chance, still have the address for this company? (Good as any, better 'n some) As of the only catalog I could find, here is teh address and what they last had for THEM: Good as any...Better 'n Some P.O. Box 88 Franklin, PA 16323 O Tannenbaum/Chritmas Cards green vinyl 7": 3.99 WDTTS/Jessic vinyl 7": 3.99 Don't Lets Start/We're the Replacements +2 3inch CD: 5.99 The'll Need a crane +3 3inch CD: 5.99 Let's buy them out guyz!!!! *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:58:12 -0700 From: Jantsch@ix.netcom.com (Bert Jantsch) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-113 Hey Did you say you could reverse things on your computer? HOW? JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 17:20:23 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: more cool quotes One I saw in the SJ Merc News "The chairman of RJR Nabisco Corp. said Wednesday he did not want to restrict the right of people to smoke adding that, 'if childeren don't like to be in a smoky room, the'll leave.'" On a lighter note: "Hey, Dante, wasn't she one of the illustrous(?) 12?" "Yeah....number 6." "Wow." "Yeah." "You slept with a dead woman." -Randall-Dante, Clerks -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 20:33:14 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Commenting from file (Fwd) >From: houckbe@earlham.edu >Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 19:21:26 EST >To: jchaffer@tmbg.org >Subject: Commenting from file > >Personal_Name: Ben Houck >From: houckbe@math.earlham.edu >Subject: TMBG In Cincy May 17th > >They Might Be Giants is playing in Cincinati on May 17th >at Bogarts. The show is all ages. Tickets are 15$ (17.50 with >Ticketmaster mark-up). The show starts at 8:30 p.m. >Tickets are still availible at this time. >Ben > -- jchaffer@tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 20:20:01 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: I dream of Flansburgh Eric Webber writes: >By the way, to that guy who said he didn't want the list address put on >the t-shirts because he didn't want people who didn't know a lot about >TMBG on the list asking "dumb" questions--- don't be such a jerk! And >there was a time when you didn't know anything about Them. How would >you have liked it if the other fans acted rudely toward you. You might >not be a fan now. You're not doing the Band or the list a favor. >Messages like yours annoy me more than, "Who are these John guys?" If you are referring to the recent suggestion posted, I believe, by Jonathan Chaffer, you are mistaken as to who is the "jerk" in this scenario, and if you had bothered to actually *read* the message before posting a reactionary rant, you would have realized that he was not worried about questions from new list members (who, having read the FAQ would be well-informed and therefore undoubtedly not asking "dumb" questions...), he was trying to avoid subscription requests to the list rather than to the proper address (which HAS been a problem in the past), and he did suggest a viable alternative that would not alienate prospective fans: including tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org rather than tmbg-list@tmbg.org. He *was* doing the list a favor. If you were not referring to the suggestion I outlined above, simply ignore me for I am in error. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 20:36:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Another reason to be pink... Why should the "big blue dog" album be named the "Pink Album"? Well...another reason I've found is that if you own the cassete, there IS NO big blue dog! *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:15:08 -0700 From: Jason//KnightFire Organization: Underground Inc. Subject: Liquid TV and other miscellany Hi all... my first post here (not that anyone cares) On the t-shirt front, i like the ticket idea as well, and the paper white mask of evil as well. Alex Winters' TV show was called "Idiot Box" and i think the thing with the hands on LTV had cult somewhere in the name... cult of the invisible hand or such... and onto the cool quotes... "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." "Very deep," said Arthur, "you should send that in to the 'Reader's Digest'. They've got a page for people like you." -HHGTTG "Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it." -HHGTTG "If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now." -HHGTTG "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -TRATEOTU "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown "Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." -Emo Phillips i think that's enough for now... but if asked, i may share some more of the wisdom (?!?) i've accumulated through the years... Until Next, Turn Around... +================================================================+ | "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells." | | -Dr. Seuss KnightFire, the King of Pentacles... | |dalffson@serv01.net-link.net http://members.aol.com/kermitius/| +================================================================+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:54:40 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: shirt lyrics >They might be rain, they might be wheat, they might be chewing on a pair >> of feet. >> They might be brain, they might be washed, they might be yelling out >> "Albatross" Ooh, ooh! I like either of these! Cyndi Batson ************ Northwestern University c-batson@nwu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 19:53:57 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: Re[2]: Important T-shirt Byline Comment >True, but you're missing the point. It's a *mailing list* shirt. Therefore, >it would seem counterproductive to the *original* idea to leave the mailing >list address (or request address) off the shirt. Get it? Is cool, I agree, but... why not just the web page? I got all the info of how to join (and much, much more, it a cool page) on the TMBG page. Besides, it's shorter, and looks cooler. :) The Almighty Cowgod "You've got a Methodist Coloring Book, and you color really well, but don't color outside the lines, or God will send you to Hell, 'cause God hates war, and God hates crime, but He really hates people who color outside the lines." - The Dead Milkmen ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:59:32 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: Re: two-things Braham Ketcham wrote: > > At 10:48 PM 4/20/96 -0400, you wrote: > > > > > >On Sat, 20 Apr 1996 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > > > >> In a message dated 96-04-20 00:21:31 EDT, you write: > >> > >> >2)the second is a question ..... in LETTER BOX (FLOOD) the words go right > >> >after he says "sorrow" become impossible for me or any of my friends to > >> >make out. can anyone tell me what he says. > >> > > >> > > >> > >> > >> "Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain 'til tomorrow!" > >> > >> Kay > >> > > > > > > .... and a very easy way of finding out is to look at the lyrics on > >your happy little Flood tape/cd. I love it when bands put the lyrics on > >the tape/cd, then you can sing the ENTIRE song and not just go > >"lalalalala" through the complicated parts. > > Well.... not quite... those lyrics aren't on the booklet that comes w/ the > CD/tape... there's also a line right before it that's not on the lyric sheet > and I can't tell what They say there... but at least i have this line now... > > Hexagon > > Braham Ketcham | "In every jumbled pile of a person there's a > -----------------------------| thinking part that wonders what the part > www.salamander.com/~hexagon | that wonders what the part that isn't think- > hexagon@salamander.com | ing isn't thinking of." - TMBG, www.tmbg.org and there are words in road movie to berlin that are on the lyric sheet but not on the actual track. so, look before you leap braham, the lyrics were the first place i checked ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:16:06 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: Re: women and men DERF wrote: > > Hi everyone! This is Doug. I have a question for y'all. I have never > heard TMBG's Women and Men performed live, so I was wondering if any of > you have a live recording of this song, or remember if it was ever done > during a show. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance! > > -Dougi saw women and men live at BOGARTS in cincinnati, oh about 4 years ago it was pretty cool, although they didnt really do anything special to it like the way they totally changed istanbul live. evenstill i'd kill to see tmbg perform just about anything live. i even saw them do "i am woman here me roar" as a stump the band song a couple of years ago. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 23:18:16 -0400 (EDT) From: chess piece face Subject: Re: I dream of Flansburgh At 08:20 PM 4/22/96 -0500, someone wrote: > >Eric Webber writes: >>By the way, to that guy who said he didn't want the list address put on >>the t-shirts because he didn't want people who didn't know a lot about >>TMBG on the list asking "dumb" questions--- don't be such a jerk! And >>there was a time when you didn't know anything about Them. How would >>you have liked it if the other fans acted rudely toward you. You might >>not be a fan now. You're not doing the Band or the list a favor. >>Messages like yours annoy me more than, "Who are these John guys?" > > >If you are referring to the recent suggestion posted, I believe, by >Jonathan Chaffer, you are mistaken as to who is the "jerk" in this >scenario, and if you had bothered to actually *read* the message >before posting a reactionary rant, you would have realized that >he was not worried about questions from new list members (who, >having read the FAQ would be well-informed and therefore undoubtedly >not asking "dumb" questions...), he was trying to avoid subscription >requests to the list rather than to the proper address (which HAS >been a problem in the past), and he did suggest a viable alternative >that would not alienate prospective fans: > >including tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org rather than tmbg-list@tmbg.org. > >He *was* doing the list a favor. > >If you were not referring to the suggestion I outlined above, >simply ignore me for I am in error. > Can't we all just get along? . . .They might be giants fans together under the roof of one list serve without confrontations. . . Dave Hendrix Georgia Institute of Technology gt8614a@prism.gatech.edu (404)206-1805 "Should you worry when the skull head is in front of you or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:41:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: My T-shirt idea (again...) My idea for a t-shirt is the following: A concert ticket, slightly angled on the front saying "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" and then at the bottom, have Location: tmbg-list@tmbg.org, Time: Whenever you're online, Row: 1, Seat 1 (We all have front row seats, don't we?), and Price: (The all so famous) Free when you net from work. Then on the back, we could use the "The Worlds Address" idea with the address of the web page on the back (now we have both the list and web page "advertised") with a cool quote on the bottom...i'm working on a tentative drawing...if someone wants it...let me know... Also, on a different course: Neither of the following left an email address.... Mary Ellen: Thank you SOOOOO much for the James K. Polk postage stamp...that was really awesome to get in the mail...And the picture of the "hello" bird was really kewl, too...send me some personal email..i have more to say.... B. Julianti (Brad, I think it was): Send me some personal email...it was awesome of you to send me that Istanbul single....I'll send u a fiver in a couple of days... *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu)*=- -=*( http://www.chrysalis.org/~kopenec )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:47:33 -0500 From: spiralling shape Subject: Re: My T-shirt idea (again...) >A concert ticket, slightly angled on the front saying "THEY MIGHT BE >GIANTS" and then at the bottom, have Location: tmbg-list@tmbg.org, Time: >Whenever you're online, Row: 1, Seat 1 (We all have front row seats, >don't we?), and Price: (The all so famous) Free when you net from work. > >Then on the back, we could use the "The Worlds Address" idea with the >address of the web page on the back (now we have both the list and web >page "advertised") with a cool quote on the bottom...i'm working on a >tentative drawing...if someone wants it...let me know... WOOOHOOOO!!! this is the best sounding idea i've heard yet!!!!!!! i'd like to see it, you should upload it to the webpage too...!!!! paul ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 00:49:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: quote On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Here is a cool quote, > > "Mr. Simpson, this is the best thing since our case against > the Neverending Story!" > -- The actual quote is: "This is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the film "The Never-Ending Story." followed by... "I don't use the word hero very often, but you... are the greatest hero... in American history." (In reference to Homer's case against "The Frying Dutchman".) -Slacker Ng (Simpsons addict). ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 02:04:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Another reason to be pink... > Why should the "big blue dog" album be named the "Pink Album"? > Well...another reason I've found is that if you own the cassete, there IS > NO big blue dog! Why don't you just call it the self-titled album? I call it that, because it is. Now I know it's pink as well, but it was probably self-titled before They had cover art for it. But hey, that's just me, and I've been wrong before. After all, I voted for the "Older Elvis" stamp. --Jack ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 01:15:16 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: I dream of Flansburgh From tmbg-list-owner@ussodyssey.ufp.org Mon Apr 22 22:30 EST 1996 Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 23:18:16 -0400 (EDT) X-Sender: gt8614a@acme.gatech.edu Mime-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: chess piece face Subject: Re: I dream of Flansburgh Dave Hendrix writes: > >Can't we all just get along? . . .They might be giants fans together under >the roof of one list serve without confrontations. . . Of course we can all get along, with some common sense and a few basic ground rules. For instance: 1. Read the FAQ. Right now. Before you post or ask a question, or even *think* about it. If the FAQ isn't automatically sent to every new subscriber, it should be. Ostensibly, being a member of this mailing list signifies that you have an interest in TMBG and would probably like to learn more about Them. That's exactly what the FAQ is for. And if you've read the FAQ, read it again. Chances are that it's bigger and better than it was the last time you saw it. 2. THINK before you submit. If someone (who obviously hasn't read the FAQ) writes in and asks a basic question like, "What's the name of that guy who sings for TMBG?", pause and ask yourself whether this is something that 99.44% of the list members know the answer to and are likely to respond to. Check to see if somebody has already answered before you reply. Similarly, if you have a question, ask yourself whether the answer is likely to be found in the FAQ. Check the FAQ just to be sure before you write in. If somebody writes something that you think infuriates you, stop and reflect on it. Read it again to make sure you didn't misinterpret what was actually said. If you understood it properly and it still infuriates you, avoid knee-jerk reactions. Take time to formulate a calm, intelligent response. In short, observe basic Netiquette. (And read the FAQ!) m@t ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:55:01 +0200 On Mon, 22 Apr 1996 Johnette Frostburg wrote.... >Subject: Some cool stuff (quotes) > >"Oh, hell. How am I going to operate my digital watch?" - Douglas Adams >(as Arthur Dent, upon losing his left arm), _The Hitchhiker's Guide to >the Galaxy_ Well if we're going to get all Hitch-Hiker about it.... "Ford, there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out", Arthur Dent. "I don't think you can dig your way off a planet, can you?", Arthur Dent "You could take some evening classes. I've got a bottle of them, little pink ones", Lintilla "Great, for this I get my ears pierced", Trillian "Ford, did you know that Robot can hum like Pink Floyd?", Arthur Dent "I've worked out, that if I put my right finger in my left ear, I can electrocute myself, terminally", Marvin "Gee, you guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off", Z. Beeblebrox "If you ever need help, please don't hesitate to get lost", Zaphod Beeblebrox III "Get off me you filthy sofa!!", Ford Prefect Sorry to ruin the social atmosphere.... share and enjoy. Keith - who has seen the seafront at Southend and therefore gets the joke. "There is no connection , and you'd be a fool and a communist to make one, there is no connection between having a gun and shooting someone with it, and NOT having a gun and NOT shooting a person", Bill Hicks. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-114 ******************************