Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-116 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 116 Thursday, 25 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: your mail (none) Digested Boba Mail Re: TMBG IRC Chat TMBG-PODAS Fingertips: The Album? exams, exams, exams... Re: exams, exams, exams... annoyance + annoyance = pleasure? alright, i'm mad now Spiraling Shapes Re: everything Hello my name is... Re: Spiraling Shapes Re: Fingertips: The Album? Here i am Re[2]: Fingertips: The Album? Re: your mail tshirt design Re: they flock to the strangest places Tshirts tshirts roly poly tshirts c'mon boys Re: c'mon boys Re: your mail Re: c'mon boys Re: c'mon boys MORE TMBG AND Q101 The Whole IRC thing pondering... re: just a bunch of stuff... and another thing! and another thing! may 16, 1996 you thought you were rid of me.... My new Address Clever little anecdote(?) Re: The Whole IRC thing Re: My new Address Hot grits a flyin' daydream Myers-Briggs Personality Typing Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-115 Misc. Re: your mail For Fun! Re: everything Their video compilation... Re: For Fun! Re: 3 favorites Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:34:35 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: your mail On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Melissa Bageant wrote: > While everyone's on the subject... > Accounting major--that's me. > Exciting, huh? Is this a new thread or something? I'm studying for an MSc in Biometry. Anyone know what that is? Second exam this afternoon. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 09:18:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Hey kids! I am now one of the in-crowd! Write to me at nola@tmbg.org or groovechild@tmbg.org Woo-hoo!! Nola ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 09:25:42 EST Subject: Digested Boba Mail Hey there tmbgers!! Spiralling Shape beat Tori Amos????? That's excellent!!! Boo-Ya!! I just remembered something that I have never posted, but should have the first day I joined the list!! One day I was in Jerry's Used Records and Tapes.(They sell CD's also). BTW, This is a store in Pittsburgh, Pa. Anyway, my friend Alison, her fiancee~ works there. And he gave me the two most wonderful things. A.) A Hello Recording Club Sampler from the first year, containg one song from each of the artists. Hello Hello is on it B.) A promotional copy of the single for Snail Shell. It only has that one track, though. However, it does have a little piece written up about them and some unreleased pictures from the little children photo shoot. It is promotional only, not for resale!! Does anyone else know of things like these or have any?? Boba@tmbg.org OUT!! -Matthew Ondrey, who's a blue thing underneath your pillow. boba@tmbg.org "I'VE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO TONIGHT THAN DIE" - SPRINGER ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 09:47:00 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: TMBG IRC Chat > From tmbg-list-owner@ussodyssey.ufp.org Tue Apr 23 23:05:35 1996 > Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:49:38 -0400 (EDT) > From: Deanna Rubin > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG IRC Chat > Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org > Reply-To: Deanna Rubin > Content-Length: 660 > > For all of you IRC Weenies: > > A) #TMBG is *not* new.. it was around four or five years ago when I > was into IRC. I remember that we usually had around 5-10 people on at > most times (hey, is Liz Pacini still out there somewhere? Or the girl > who used to work for Them whose handle was "Ondine" 2-3 years ago?) Well there are TMBG channels on Efnet and Undernet. The most I've ever seen was about 7 people on Efnet's TMBG Channel right before the Tracadero show in December. Undernet's channel gets a few but I've never really seen too much activity there. Both are held open by a bot. As for this new irc.dragonnet.whatever, its probally a new channel on a new server on something diffrent them Efnet or Undernet (But I have seen a TMBG channel on Dalnet once or twice but was't held open the last time I used dalnet). > B) if it's not there, just type /join #TMBG and the channel will form > with you as the sole person joined to it. Really. > ------------------------------ From: akline@disneys.oro.net (BuTteRworth) Subject: TMBG-PODAS Date: 23 Apr 1996 00:08:03 GMT Organization: Disney's Place BBS A quick question : How might I get my paws on a copy of the Power of Dial-A-Song? Thanks. Adam Kline akline@disneys.oro.net ----------------------- To one with a hammer, everything is a nail. ------------------ Sent Via: Disney's Place BBS (916)-478-0253 Chat - Internet Email/Newsgroups - BBS In a box - Etc! All Free! Reach the SysOp at disney@oro.net ------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:13:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Fingertips: The Album? "Come on, on And wreck my car, uh Come on, on And wreck my car . . ." Ben or Been here. That part of "Fingertips" would make a great chorus to a TMBG song, I thought this morning while listening to it. It would be somewhere along the lines of "AKA Driver" I imagine. Then I got to thinking, as I imagine many others have in the past: WOULDN'T IT BE SNAZZY IF TMBG DID A SIDE PROJECT ENTITLED _fInGeRtIpS: THE ALBUM_? (maybe as a Hello release?) What it would involve: Expanded versions of the tiny tracks on "Fingertips" from their _Apollo 18_ album. Every song expanded, except Amy Allison's "Something grabbed ahold of my hand." (JUST KIDDING!!!) How would some of the new songs sound--their intros and whatnot? What cool guitar riffs would Flansy construct? Who knows. But we could speculate, right? ************************************************ Last day (4-24-96) to hear on Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE the Joshua Fried remake of "She's Actual Size" called "Larger than Life" from the CD-single of "I Palindrome I" Thanks to whoever called me last night! I was asleep and never heard you call!!! (By the way, folks, he loved the song!) Adieu, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:13:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: exams, exams, exams... I just finished writing my animal physiology exam...I know, I know, you're all jealous. Near the end, I was running out of stuff to talk about, so I finished the exam with the line "...That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else, way down inside me, I can feel it coming back..." I just couldn't resist, although I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears...I don't think my prof is a big TMBG fan. Next week, for my comparative vertebrate anatomy exam, I'm planning to write out all the lyrics to mammal...sort of fits with the lecture material...hell, I might even use the songs as an answer to a question...wouldn't be the first time. Bye. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:40:05 -0700 From: John Lambert Organization: Rough Brothers Subject: Re: exams, exams, exams... Alex Gershon wrote: > Next week, for my comparative vertebrate anatomy exam, I'm planning to >write out all the lyrics to mammal...sort of fits with the lecture >material...hell, I might even use the songs as an answer to a >question...wouldn't be the first time. i do that all the time...just pop the lyrics right in on the old conversation..."blah blah blah where should we eat?" i reply "There's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go...i mean nice people..." and such, needless to say they seem to get very irritated (right bob/palndrom? if you read this!) oh well!! not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 11:47 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: annoyance + annoyance = pleasure? aw, jeez! after spending ALL MORNING sitting at my desks making black marks on pieces of paper while listening to the Penn State college radio station, i finally had to leave my lab and take something down the hall. when i get back 2 minutes later, Spiraling Shape is playing! i've never heard this song before, but i recognized Them right away. i missed some of it (annoyance #1), but i heard enough to know i like it. but (annoyance #2) after it's over, the charisma-deficient student DJ comes on and makes a special point of telling us that he played that under protest because a friend of his wanted to hear it. boy, some people are so rude. :P but (pleasure), i finally got to hear spiraling shape! yay! well, see ya'z! back to desk-sitting and handling dangerous bacteria... -j.l. the spiraling shape will make you go insane... :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 11:56 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: alright, i'm mad now ok, this is kind of off-subject, but it's an addendum to my last message, about hearing 'spiraling shape' on the student radio, and the DJ being a twit about it... it's about 10 minutes later, and this same idiot is *talking* *to* *his* *father* on the radio. "so, dad, how's the cat?" "the cat's fine, blah blah blah..." i swear to god he's been doing this since i sent the last message. he couldn't get the connection working right away, and he spent TWO MINUTES saying "dad! dad? DAD! DAD? dad? ...dad! father? hello!? Dad!" then, when they finally got it working, he asked him what the weather was like in pittsburgh. now they're talking about madonna being pregnant. previously, thay were talking about the DJ's little sister, who got a B+ in some high school class and is upset about it. this is much more appropriate on an alternative music show on a student station than They Might Be Giants. no wonder he played them under protest. sheeeeeeeeeeeessssssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! *sigh* long-suffering j.l. but everyone wants to see that groovy thing... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 12:23:34 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Spiraling Shapes Where are all of you getting this soundtrak from? I went in to just about every music store i can think of asking for the Brain Candy or Kids in the Hall soundtrak and they look at me like I'm crazy and say they never heard of it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 12:36:29 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: everything > Someone asked if TMBG always said they got lost on the way to the > concert before playing TMBG got lost... well they didn't say anything > like that here in St Louis-- well actually they said that they wrote the > song about a experience about 100-200 miles from here!! I have a strange hunch that its about the 9:30 club show in Januaray. I think they got either got lost on the way to the HFS studios for the 5 minute interview or on the way to the new 9:30 club because they didn't know where it was and they were late comming on stage and they said they got lost on the way there. But hey it could be for countless other concerts too but thats just my hunch. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:58:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Hello my name is... Hey all. You can now mail me at John@tmbg.org Just thought you might like to know. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:50:15 -0500 From: spiralling shape Subject: Re: Spiraling Shapes >Where are all of you getting this soundtrak from? I went in to just about every music store i can think of asking for the Brain Candy or Kids in the Hall soundtrak and they look at me like I'm crazy and say they never heard of it. keep looking, i had a similar experience, searching everywhere i could think of for the cd, and no place had it. i kept being told that it was on order but hadn't come in yet. i eventually found it at a small independant store here in austin, so keep looking for it, it's got to be out there somewhere... paul ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:56:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Fingertips: The Album? On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > WOULDN'T IT BE SNAZZY IF TMBG DID A SIDE PROJECT ENTITLED _fInGeRtIpS: THE > ALBUM_? (maybe as a Hello release?) > My friends and I have been pondering a similar idea for a while. We figure that one day, the world will realize how nifty They are, and will be sorry that they didn't pay any attention to Them before. So, "Fingertips, a TMBG Tribute" will be released, featuring many popular artists covering the various sections of Fingertips, and expanding them. There are a few obvious choices, and a few surprises. Let me know what you think. "Catching On Fire" - Big Audio Dynamite "The First Fingertips" - Bela Fleck & The Flecktones "I Hear The Wind Blow" - Barry White "Hey Now Everybody" - The B-52's "Who's That Standing Out My Window" - Edwyn Collins "Underneath My Pillow" - Reverend Horton Heat "Wreck My Car" - R.E.M. "The Guy Who Hit Me In The Eye" - Liz Phair "Please Pass The Milk, Please" - Sarah McLaughlan "Leave Me Alone" - Pearl Jam "Who's Knocking On The Wall" - U2 "All By Myself" - The Cranberries "Blue Thing" - Ryan Flynn "Something Grabbed Ahold" - Yoko Ono "I Don't Understand You" - Bob Dylan & Tom Petty "I Heard A Sound" - Violent Femmes "Mysterious Whisper" - Sting "The Day That Love Came To Play" - Bare Naked Ladies "Heart Attack" - Peter Gabriel "The Final Fingertips" - William Shatner "Darkened Corridors" - Morrisey Bonus Track: "Space Suit" performed by Zam Fir, and his magical pan flute. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:53:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Here i am Hey guys, Send your hate mail and love letters to me at: wubba@tmbg.org bye, bye Wubba ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; "We love jokes in bad taste. ;Eric Webber | They make us feel better about ourselves" ;erwst9+@pitt.edu | -Conan O'Brien ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;| "We intend to offend and alarm and annoy" -The Penis Wolves ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 11:34:33 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re[2]: Fingertips: The Album? Regarding jcurley's of 4/24/96 11:19 AM: >So, "Fingertips, a TMBG Tribute" will be released, featuring many >popular artists covering the various sections of Fingertips, and >expanding them. There are a few obvious choices, and a few surprises. >... >"The Final Fingertips" - William Shatner >... >Bonus Track: >"Space Suit" performed by Zam Fir, and his magical pan flute. WOO HOOOOOOOO! I'd buy the first copy. SuzyB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:58:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: your mail On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Groove Child wrote: > Hey kids! > I am now one of the in-crowd! > Write to me at > nola@tmbg.org > or > groovechild@tmbg.org > Woo-hoo!! > Nola > Me too!!! albatross@tmbg.org and kopenec@tmbg.org!!! *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:03:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: tshirt design I have my t-shirt (concert ticket idea) drawn up and scanned in but I need a place to put it so people can see it...where?! *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:06:51 -0700 From: Jason/KnightFire Organization: Underground Inc. Subject: Re: they flock to the strangest places yeah, i saw it too. it was during "my so-called life" and the individual was CMooney302, just in case anyone wants to congratulate him/her or something. +================================================================+ | "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells." | | -Dr. Seuss KnightFire, the King of Pentacles... | |dalffson@serv01.net-link.net http://members.aol.com/kermitius/| +================================================================+ ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:06:20 EST Subject: Tshirts tshirts roly poly tshirts Hi! I know everyone is really happy with the ticket stub idea, but I was just in my 20th century french literature class and I was doodling, and my doodle struck me as a cool tshirt idea. In short, if I could design a tshirt any way I wanted to , this would be it: A big snailshell on the front with the words "BACK IN MY" curved around the top of it. On the back it would say "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS THANK YOU" or something to that effect. Neato mosquito. :) -Tara (whose evil twin may be the other Tara she's seen on this list... hi!:) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:07:25 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: c'mon boys take it outside with all the bickering. it's all just a bunch of overreacting anyway. i'm also putting an end to the 1st album "naming" squabble. from now on it will be know as "THAT" album. as in: "although i really like THAT album a lot, i think i like Lincoln just a smidgen bit more." do you know what really gets my goat? (besides for computerized t-rex's) the fact that i will be going to U of C in the fall so i am inelligable for going to the show on may 18th by 4 months (what's really crazy is that Chicago's orientation doesn't even begin until mid september.) may the force be with you daniel p.s. top 3 besides TMBG: barenaked ladies tori amos police (but that is holding tenuously against Peter Gabriel) u.p.s. i just heard a song off of the new Hootie album and i was really surprised. i didn't think they could pull off another album of the exact same pedantic psychobabble as the first one. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:43:10 -0400 Subject: Re: c'mon boys In a message dated 96-04-24 15:19:31 EDT, davidmey@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu (DAVID A. MEYERSON) writes: > >i'm also putting an end to the 1st album "naming" squabble. from now on >it will be know as "THAT" album. >as in: yeah, but then every time you wanted to talk about the "Two Johns" album everyone would think you were yelling at them every time you typed "THAT" and everyone would get real pissed and start a flame war... (and all over "THAT" album) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:54:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: your mail On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Chris Kopenec wrote: > On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Groove Child wrote: > > > Hey kids! > > I am now one of the in-crowd! > > Write to me at > > nola@tmbg.org > > or > > groovechild@tmbg.org > > Woo-hoo!! > > Nola > > > > Me too!!! > albatross@tmbg.org and kopenec@tmbg.org!!! > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, > over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a > check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission > over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- > -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- > > Well..in an attempt to be a part of the group..I've got one too!!! jlinnell@tmbg.org!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:48:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Shaft Subject: Re: c'mon boys > > i just heard a song off of the new Hootie album and i was really > surprised. i didn't think they could pull off another album of the exact > same pedantic psychobabble as the first one. > OK Here we go again. As always, I feel that I have to defend Hootie and his Blowfish. Why can't people just listen to music, as opposed to searching for deep meanings in it? Their music is just plain- old feel good music. I'll be the first to admit that there is no new ground broken on the musical front. However, if you sit down, and listen to the entire CD (I'm only speaking of the first one. haven't heard the new one yet), you might just be suprised. And if you last long enough, there is a nice suprise at the end. 'Goodbye' is just a damn good song. See ya. brendan PS= I'm in also, and brendan@tmbg.org and sju@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:50:20 -0700 From: John Lambert Organization: Rough Brothers Subject: Re: c'mon boys DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: > i'm also putting an end to the 1st album "naming" squabble. from now on > it will be know as "THAT" album. I AGREE AND I AM a john (LIKE God AND god) > > top 3 besides TMBG: > > barenaked ladies > tori amos > police (but that is holding tenuously against Peter Gabriel) > MINE: TORI AMOS DEPECHE MODE THE SMITHS ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 17:01:47 -0400 Subject: MORE TMBG AND Q101 hey everybody tonite listen to q101 between 820 and 830 TMBG WILL WIN AGain just be sure to call in (ive got all of my friends to) ok? good this is soo cool now all those "oh ya i like tmbg" people are showing their faces aound here Go for 2! (aka) kurt ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 17:19:38 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: The Whole IRC thing Here's the scoop. 2100 EDT Thursdays. EfNet channel #tmbg there is a bot, his name is John Henry. I'm the op for the discussion, my name is BlueDawg This is the most used IRC channel, the one that was agreed upon by the readers of alt.music.tmbg. If you wish to chat, I welcome you. BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others."--William Allen White ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 17:51:47 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: pondering... Hiya TMBG-lovers! This is cortney, how are ya! Well, I'm going to the Wax recording sessions this Saturday in West Orange, NJ, and I was just thinking...Does anyone have any guesses as to what They might play at these sessions? Thanks for your input! sun and smiles cortney ***BTW*** You can all mail me at my new addresses! cortney@tmbg.org ck8@tmbg.org Thanks! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 17:54:03 -0400 From: julinka@tmbg.org (Pietrus) Subject: re: just a bunch of stuff... >Michael Rose: I think I had a dream like that once too, where I went to a >TMBG show and it wasn't really them and it was short and it sort of >sucked. Actually, in mine I think it was them, but they were really old >or something. And they just stopped in the middle of the show and said >they'd be back in a minute, and they never came back. You know, that's really scary. I had a dream I went to see them at some seedy club and Flansburgh was a balding midget and Linnell was the crossing guard from up the street. I didn't think it was that bad, but my friend Sara said, "My god, weren't the new songs absolutely AWful?" love and other neat stuff, Julia "All the people are so happy now, their heads are caving in..." -TMBG Curtsey while you're thinking what to say. It saves time. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:47:36 -0400 From: Susan Lyon Subject: and another thing! and another thing! okay, here are some comments about various things: regarding dilbert: there is a dilbert e-mail newsletter (just got a new one yesterday!) sent out by scott adams himself! (the next few lines were stolen directly from the dilbert newsletter) You can subscribe to the Dilbert List automatically by sending an e-mail with the address, subject and message shown: Address: listproc@internex.net Subject: Dilbert Message: subscribe Dilbert_List Joe Blow (except put your real name instead of Joe Blow). doing this will also give you membership in dogbert's new ruling class, so that when dogbert takes over the world, we'll be in control. regarding connections to the unabomber: someone said that they were from the same town as the unabomber's brother or something...well. not *only* did i study at and now work for the unabomber's alma mater (u-michigan), not *only* did i live in the same dorm that he did, but i lived on the same corridor too!!! i don't know exactly the room he was in...but there's a one-in-20-something chance it was mine!! regarding t-shirt design: i like kopenec's ticket stub idea!!! no copyright issues, and it sounds cool! i hope i get the vanity e-mail address i want hugs and kisses, susan |\_ -' | \ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mozzer /7 \ Susan Lyon mozzer@umich.edu / `-_ grr! \-'_ `-.____________ "i look at danger and -- \ / `. i laugh my head off" / \ \ _______/ /_ ______\ |________- (,__________/ `-.___(,_____________--------_) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 17:32:41 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: may 16, 1996 not only will THEY be in cincinnati on 5-17, they will be in columbus on 5-16 for a show and a pre-show party. the show in columbus starts at 8:30 the party is at 7:30 total ticket price is 16.50 (including the ticket master raped fee.), while cin. also at 8:30 tickets are 17.25(fee included). i'll be at both shows. gooooo!!!! ohiooooooo!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 18:47:08 -0400 From: shelton@coeibm.rutgers.edu (Bryan Shelton) Subject: you thought you were rid of me.... To Sir Ruprecht, god of all gods.... plleeeeeeease help me out my doing your magical net trick and unsubscribing me don't bother with the digest,. I'll do that in time. Danke. Grand Moff Boba....thanks for the sympathy. It was much appreciated. Um that's it. Have a good night everyone. Hmm this should be about TMBG too... I have nothing to say though...um...this is futile. Tracy, who is tired from giving about 900 piggy back rides today. And hi to Jordan, who wrote me about being a Jordan but not my Jordan. Take care. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:05:50 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: My new Address Let it never be said that the Spudster is one of independent thought. I too have now decided to go for my own tmbg.org address. It is, spud@tmbg.org. not original, not cool, just spud. -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:19:58 -0700 From: Colin Ferm Subject: Clever little anecdote(?) I called TMBG Dial-A-Song today (free when you call from work), and though nothing picked up I was reminded of a few months ago before I got this Koosh job being a webmaster. I worked in phone purgatory at a market research firm in the San Francisco Bay Area and hated every moment of it. I would have quit it except for the small fact that I can't get by without a little green. I had nick-named the hellish place that I worked "Ben-Hur" because of the setup of the room. There was a large desk at the far end, with small "booths" lining the wall on each side from which call were to be placed. It reminded me of that part in Ben-Hur when he was in the galley of the romean ship with the drummer at the very front banging his drums and the other screaming "FASTER!", while all the slave at their phones, I mean oars, pushed harder. The point of this is, is that had it not been for the good old Dial-a-Song I probably would have dropped like one of the slaves. Anyway, I am out of there now, working on putting together the Contra Costa Times Web Site, and eating icecream bars at my slow methodical pace. I was just wondering if anyone else had had an experiance from which they were saved by TMBG or another similar thing. -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:38:12 -0400 Subject: Re: The Whole IRC thing In a message dated 96-04-24 17:28:21 EDT, idiotnot@ix.netcom.com (The Big Blue Dog) writes: >2100 EDT Thursdays. > WHAT??? and _MISS_ Seinfeld? Are you insane? >EfNet channel #tmbg > >there is a bot, his name is John Henry. I'm the op for the discussion, my >name is BlueDawg > >This is the most used IRC channel, the one that was agreed upon by the >readers of alt.music.tmbg. If you wish to chat, I welcome you. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:43:11 -0400 Subject: Re: My new Address In a message dated 96-04-24 19:10:30 EDT, spud@ussodyssey.ufp.org (Colin Ferm) writes: >Let it never be said that the Spudster is one of independent thought. I "You are all individuals!" "We are all individuals!" "I'm not" "Shut up!" >too have now decided to go for my own tmbg.org address. It is, >spud@tmbg.org. not original, not cool, just spud. I just couldn't resist a little Monty ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:09:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Hot grits a flyin' Hi everybody! It's Mike here to tell you all for no particular reason that today I finished the picture edit of my new short film Flying Tin. I also made a 4 minute outtake reel. Now it is onto the sound. I do not use any TMBG songs in the film, just one by King Missile (cleared BTW) but I do parade around in the film wearing my Apollo 18 shirt. Also my Flood mug (a personalised gift) is seen in one or two shots. Flying tin facts: It stars fellow lister Alex Gershon, as well as me. It was shot on black and white 16mm film, at the end of November 1995. It was a sync sound shoot. It was edited on Betacam SP and letterboxed to approximately 1.85:1. It's my first film with moving credits. It's my last film as a Ryerson student. It was a 3 day shoot and I fed my crew Harvey's every day. On the night of the first day I went to see Toy Story. I wrote nine drafts of the script. On the night of the third day I almost got killed crossing the street, and then I went to see a 70mm showing of Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Throughout the shoot I was very sick with the flu. Off camera I hocked up a lot of phlegm but on camera I only coughed once. The sound man is visible in one shot. The cameraman's hand is visible in one shot. The picture edit took a total of 15 hours approximately. The film runs 13 minutes. By the last day of shooting we had replaced the word "action" with the word "Bundock." The youngest cast member was 17 at the time. He is now 18. The boom mic shadow is visible in one shot. I wore the same clothes all three days. I had to. The day after I shot I went to a wedding. Well, there you have it. The film will be shown for the first time at the Ryerson fourth year Picture Start Film Festival on May 14, 1996. Come one come all, if you're going to be in Toronto. Mike, Mikey, Mr. Mike, Michael Michael Motorcycle, Michael Rose The Boat Ashore, whatever you want. PS: In other people's movies I play a zombie and a door to door hand grenade salesman. Yahoo. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: daydream Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:57:06 -0400 (EDT) Hiyas, Unlike most I seem to have daydreams about TMBG. My last one involved my future trip this weekend to the Edison Lab. to see Them. But in this they asked the people what song they wanted Them to play. I can't remember what I said but they played it and then after the show they asked us to follow Them to their favorite diner in NYC. So they peeled away in the Crown Victoria and we followed but we lost them in NYC. But Brooksie drove up next to me and said she knew where they were going. So we got this huge table where a bunch of us sat at and it was John Linnell's birthday (even though it isn't) and the waitress brought out a big cake and we all sang happy birthday to him. And Flans paid for all of the drinks and we all drank Michelob for some reason. Then daydream ended there... Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:06:05 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing Here are the long-awaited results of the Keirsey personality survey! Of the ~500 list members, 55 responded. Over 10%--pretty good representation. Here's how each attribute broke down, compared to the average in the general population: Attribute TMBG-list General Population Extrovert 25.45% 75% Introvert 61.82% 25% X 12.73% iNtuitive 81.82% 25% Sensory 14.55% 75% X 3.64% Feeling 58.18% 50% Thinking 36.36% 50% X 5.45% Perceiving 58.18% 50% Judging 34.55% 50% X 7.27% Fun facts: * The most common personality type was INFP, with 12 listers. * Almost half of the list members were NFP's, either E or I. * We are, as a group, much more introverted and intuitive than the rest of the population. * Some bias could be attributed to the fact that we are all "Net-aware." I believe that people with WWW access tend to be more INTJ centered than others. * ISTJ's unite! :-) -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:55:35 -0400 From: Joe Turner Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-115 > (Just out of curiosity, are there any Wally Pleasant fans out there? > He's highly amusing; check him out.) > > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* > * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * > * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * > * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * > * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* > > ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ > Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org > "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp > Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass > -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- > Thank You to Tara Weber & Matthew James You both have restored my faith in the music listening public...Wally Pleasent and Moxy Fruvous are two of my favorite bands. Wally is from E. Lansing, MI---about 25 miles from where I live, I know he travels around the country...some strange obsession with Shreveport Louisiana????? If anyone hears of a show near you I STRONGLY suggest you check them out. Moxy is from Toronto, I plan on tracking them down this summer and catching a show, their albums are great. This is my first post to the list...I can't wait to get more lists. ----------------------She is actual size nation wide believe.... -TMBG Joe Turner jturner@voyager.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:42:31 -0700 From: bartush@ix.netcom.com (MATTHEW W BARTUSH) Subject: Misc. To whomever on the list mentioned the band "Drink Me"...THANK YOU! I just bought their CD "Sleep" and I love it! Three favorite non-TMBG bands: 1. Negativland 2. (tie) Frank Zappa or Pink Floyd, depending on my mood. 3. Hmmmm...I'll leave it at that. Some cool quotes: "There is a fine line between ignorance and arrogance. I have managed to erase that line" - Dr. Science. "I am a deeply superficial person" - Andy Warhol "Theory and practice are the same in theory but not in practice" - My friend Tate "If you can't lick 'em, put 'em on with a big piece of tape" - Negativland's Letterhead And, to enter into the heated debate regarding the mailing list address on the T-Shirt: I share in the concern that advertising the mailing list on the shirt may result in "junk" mail being thrown our way. I wonder, though, how many people would randomly subscribe to a mailing list only having seen it advertised on a T-Shirt without being truly interested in the subject? An initial flood of messages like "Who the heck ARE these guys?" may die off as those less interested get bored, and those with a sincere interest in the band and its music become more knowledgable. (They could be easily directed to the FAQ or the website for basic TMBG info) Consequently, I don't think it would necessarily be bad to have the list address on the shirt, although I don't find it necessary either. The purpose, I thought, was to identify each other rather than advertise the list. Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Signing off from the West Coast, where They-related activity is few and far between (sigh!), Matt in Sacramento "My conscience tells me that it is unethical to allow material to be exploited that is in poor taste" - Casey Casem's letter to Negativland "OK, I want a goddam concerted effort to come out of a record that isn't a fucking up-tempo record every time I do a goddam death dedication! It's the last goddam time, I want somebody to use his fuckin brain to not come out of a goddam record that is, uhh, that, that's up-tempo an' I gotta talk about a fuckin' dog dyin'" - Casey Casem, sampled in the song "U2" by Negativland ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:49:27 -0500 From: Adam Procter Subject: Re: your mail At 03:54 PM 4/24/96 -0400, you wrote: > > >On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Chris Kopenec wrote: > >> On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Groove Child wrote: >> >> > Hey kids! >> > I am now one of the in-crowd! >> > Write to me at >> > nola@tmbg.org >> > or >> > groovechild@tmbg.org >> > Woo-hoo!! >> > Nola >> > >> >> Me too!!! >> albatross@tmbg.org and kopenec@tmbg.org!!! >> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- >> This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, >> over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a >> check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission >> over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- >> -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- >> -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- >> >> > >Well..in an attempt to be a part of the group..I've got one too!!! >jlinnell@tmbg.org!!!!! > > Heehee... me too. dribble@tmbg.org or aprocter@tmbg.org -- Adam Procter aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4386/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:46:23 -0500 (CDT) From: AUSTIN Subject: For Fun! This is my first time to post so hello. This may be old news to some of you, but did you know that the first line of "I Should Be Allowed To Think" is also the first line in the poem "Howl" by Ginsberg (forgot first name). Just a little info. Also I was wondering if anyone knew the release date of The Kids In The Hall soundtrack. None of the record stores here know. Last thing, is anyone on this list from Oklahoma. It would be nice to know that I am not the only die-hard TMBG fan in Oklahoma. Thanks! Josh Austin Home Page: http://www.su.okstate.edu/pages/Business/austijs.htm "Somebody put their finger in the president's ear, and it wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's Wax." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 00:24:18 -0400 Subject: Re: everything Well, is there a DJ at anyone's local radio station whose name is Julie? If so, then THeY MiGHT have gotten lost in your town. Incidentally, I checked that CMooney302 person's online profile, and he's from Chesterton, IN... One of my closet friends is originally from Chesterton. How odd. >By the last day of shooting we had replaced the word "action" >with the word "Bundock." The running joke on my film shoot was to say, "nailed to the wall" after every good take. It was funny at the time, but it lost something went I was sinking the dailies and had to listen to it 60 times in a 12 hour period as I sat alone in front of a Steenbeck. Love, Brooks "I have a gift for enraging people." -Lousie Brooks. Favorite 3 besides TMBG _this week_: Slant 6, Mr. T Experience, and Born Against. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 01:00:38 -0700 From: Jason/KnightFire Organization: Underground Inc. Subject: Their video compilation... This web site claims to have the aforementioned video... you can order on line. i haven't tried, because i have no money and no credit card, but if someone else does, perhaps everyone's ceaseless searching can come to an end... http://www.videoexpress.com/ +================================================================+ | "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells." | | -Dr. Seuss KnightFire, the King of Pentacles... | |dalffson@serv01.net-link.net http://members.aol.com/kermitius/| +================================================================+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 01:10:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: For Fun! On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, AUSTIN wrote: > This is my first time to post so hello. > > This may be old news to some of you, but did you know that the > first line of "I Should Be Allowed To Think" is also the first line in > the poem "Howl" by Ginsberg (forgot first name). Just a little info. > Also I was wondering if anyone knew the release date of The Kids > In The Hall soundtrack. None of the record stores here know. > Last thing, is anyone on this list from Oklahoma. It would be > nice to know that I am not the only die-hard TMBG fan in Oklahoma. Thanks! > > > Josh Austin > Home Page: http://www.su.okstate.edu/pages/Business/austijs.htm > "Somebody put their finger in the president's ear, and it wasn't too much > later they came out with Johnson's Wax." -They Might Be Giants > > > OKLAHOMA! The only state to inspire a musical starring Rod Steiger. It's not bad either. How's the weather down there? What's the TMBG vibe? Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 01:21:33 -0700 From: Brian Lamb Subject: Re: 3 favorites Ok, my other three favorites beside from TMBG are: 10,000 Maniacs Van Morrison Eric Clapton Later, Brian __________________________________________________________________ The best thing you ever done for me Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life afterall - Indigo Girls ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-116 ******************************