Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-117 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 117 Friday, 26 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: may 16, 1996 YOU SUCK BOB! video compilation Re: For Fun! Re: things re: just a bunch of stuff... Re: just a bunch of stuff... Re: just a bunch of stuff... Who knows... monotremes, voodoo dolls, other stuff. Rip roarin' reverend My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from her Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: Who knows... Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-116 Re: monotremes, voodoo dolls, other stuff. Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from her Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here making converts... Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re[2]: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here 2 nites in a row/Q101 Re: TMBG in Boston?? Re: TMBG in Boston?? Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here TMBG on CFNY Re: TMBG in Boston?? Re: TMBG in Boston?? Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing If anybody cares..... Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: may 16, 1996 YOU SUCK BOB! Re: If anybody cares..... Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here aweu umop episdn Re: 2 nites in a row/Q101 Re: TMBG in Boston?? CDs and Videos intermission Frank Black READ THIS NOW! please? Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from her deciphering the ancient words.. hi guys... Back To Skull TMBG and Q101 Bearnaked ladies Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: aweu umop episdn Again, and Again, and Again: TMBG-Q101 Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: If anybody cares..... what is that vegetable! Re: If anybody cares..... Id? Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: TMBG in Boston?? Re: intermission Fingertips covers :) bottle of smoke Re: If anybody cares..... Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Re: TMBG in Boston?? oops TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM radio show Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 07:42:09 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: may 16, 1996 YOU SUCK BOB! Bob Schroer wrote: > > not only will THEY be in cincinnati on 5-17, they will be in columbus on > 5-16 > > i'll be at both shows. > > gooooo!!!! ohiooooooo!!!!!!! you suck bob!!! why is it that the one!!! weekend i leave town THEY come not only once, but twice!!!!! i don't like it that my two show gap on you (for those of you not informed...bob and i are buds from way back and we live in cincinnati...i have seen THEY 2 more times in concert than bob palindrome bob has) is evaporating! i'll do everything i can to go on wed if that turns out to be a show!! not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:46:52 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: video compilation I was looking at CD universe, you know, that guy that did the shameless plug on the list, they have the video compilation for like thirteen bucks, I don't have the adress on hand, but if you lost it and you want me to send it to you just let me know. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ? "When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble. Give a whistle!" ? ? -Monty Python ? ? M.C.I. ? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 10:46:33 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: For Fun! > This is my first time to post so hello. > > This may be old news to some of you, but did you know that the > first line of "I Should Be Allowed To Think" is also the first line in > the poem "Howl" by Ginsberg (forgot first name). Just a little info. > Also I was wondering if anyone knew the release date of The Kids > In The Hall soundtrack. None of the record stores here know. > Last thing, is anyone on this list from Oklahoma. It would be > nice to know that I am not the only die-hard TMBG fan in Oklahoma. Thanks! > > Well the 'offical' relase date for the Kids in the Hall Soundtrak was supposted to be April 9th (According to the record companys home page who I now forget). So you should look around now the chain stores should be getting in the week or so. I'll tell you what I find when I hunt for it during lunch today. ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 08:49:26 -0700 Subject: Re: things "BOBA" writes: > >A.) A Hello Recording Club Sampler from the first year >B.) A promotional copy of the single for Snail Shell. >Does anyone else know of things like these or have any?? Uh, yeah. Check out the They Might Be Giants discography, now available through the Web at http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ Both of these items are listed therein, and many more besides! How about the fully pre-release version of John Henry, no pictures, just a paragraph about the Johns. Same songs, though. Or the catalog number for the Brain Candy soundtrack, so you can order it! -- John -- http://reality.sgi.com/relph/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 08:50:06 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: re: just a bunch of stuff... > >Michael Rose: I think I had a dream like that once too, where I went to a > >TMBG show and it wasn't really them and it was short and it sort of > >sucked. Actually, in mine I think it was them, but they were really old > >or something. And they just stopped in the middle of the show and said > >they'd be back in a minute, and they never came back. In my dream, they were like 16, and lived at some mansion at the top of a hill when they weren't playing. Liam ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 12:12:55 -0400 Subject: Re: just a bunch of stuff... In a message dated 96-04-25 12:03:15 EDT, singe_li@catseq.catlin.edu (Liam Singer) writes: >> >Michael Rose: I think I had a dream like that once too, where I went to a > >> >TMBG show and it wasn't really them and it was short and it sort of >> >sucked. Actually, in mine I think it was them, but they were really old >> >or something. And they just stopped in the middle of the show and said >> >they'd be back in a minute, and they never came back. > >In my dream, they were like 16, and lived at some mansion at the top of a >hill when they weren't playing. My brother had a dream that he was at baseball game and he went to the concession stand and asked for a pie and they told him it would take like twenty minutes, so he told one of his friends to watch the pie and make it was still there, 'cause he was going somewhere, when he came back his friend said that They Might Be Giants ate your pie... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 12:18:29 -0400 Subject: Re: just a bunch of stuff... In a message dated 96-04-25 12:03:15 EDT, singe_li@catseq.catlin.edu (Liam Singer) writes: >> >Michael Rose: I think I had a dream like that once too, where I went to a > >> >TMBG show and it wasn't really them and it was short and it sort of >> >sucked. Actually, in mine I think it was them, but they were really old >> >or something. And they just stopped in the middle of the show and said >> >they'd be back in a minute, and they never came back. > >In my dream, they were like 16, and lived at some mansion at the top of a >hill when they weren't playing. My brother had a dream that he was at baseball game and he went to the concession stand and asked for a pie and they told him it would take like twenty minutes, so he told one of his friends to watch the pie and make it was still there, 'cause he was going somewhere, when he came back his friend said that They Might Be Giants ate your pie... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ From: SANDERSCR@centum.utulsa.edu Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:36:28 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Who knows... Hey, it's been forever since I have had time to indulge myself in the List. I was wondering if there is ANY word of an Oklahoma or Texas date for Their concert? I would kill to see them again(once is never enough!) Also, am I the only one who still has not heard Spiraling Shape? I feel so out of it...I guess I'll have to buy the stupid MMPR soundtrack *sigh* Last - is there any saintly person out there who has access to "Back to Skull"? I would be willing to send money to anyone who could pick it up. No store here has ever heard of it. Chris-man, hit over the head with seven research papers. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 12:29:57 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: monotremes, voodoo dolls, other stuff. I'm cool now too!! Y'all can write me at Ondine@tmbg.org or Tara@tmbg.org Alex Gershon: I wish I could count how many times I've been tempted to write "That's all I can think of but I'm sure there's something else..." on essay questions! Especially in my biopsychology class. I also have this horribly annoying tendency to start singing TMBG lyrics whenever someone says one word that jogs my memory. I was in the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in DC when I saw some sign about monotremes, so I started singing Mammal. Not loud or anything, mind you. But my bf was still not amused. :) Ummmmm, I'm on the digest so I can't remember what else I was gonna reply to....but I gotta go to class now anyway. Lemme come back to this. OK. I remember now. GO INFPs!!!! WOO-HOO!!!! :) Wow, I do have an evil twin! Hi Tara! (So which one of us is the evil twin? Which one of us cut the arm off the voodoo doll that resembled a Republican president from long ago? :) Waving my broomstick arms, --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 14:30:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Rip roarin' reverend I was just in the basement of the Ryerson film building (for what may be one of the last times since I am graduating soon) and next to the free phone is a red fire alarm next to which someone wrote a long time ago, the words Dinner Bell, and made an arrow to the bell. Today I found someone else had written next to that: Do the bell thing! So I added Salivating dog, good dog. That is my contribution to the wall (though once somewhere else in the building I scrawled Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon on the wall with a pencil, don't ask me why). Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 14:47:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Bah, that subject heading didn't really work anyway. Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. I can think of a few off hand but I won't mention who they are so that they can do it themselves. As for me, I guess I'm lucky, both my names are things: mike: mic, microphone. rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. Anyone else? Let us all know if you don't think this is stupid or something. Mike, embroiled in sweet pickles ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:26:37 -0700 From: Brian Lamb Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names > which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. I can > think of a few off hand but I won't mention who they are so that they can > do it themselves. As for me, I guess I'm lucky, both my names are things: > > mike: mic, microphone. > rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. > > Anyone else? Let us all know if you don't think this is stupid > or something. > > Mike, embroiled in sweet pickles Lamb -- I think this one's obvious Brian -- sometimes misspelled Brain...oooh - is that egotistical or what? :-) just kidding Later Brian Lamb --- just another INTP part of the TMBG flock __________________________________________________________________ The best thing you ever done for me Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life afterall - Indigo Girls ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 15:43:32 +0000 Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here > Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names > which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. I can > think of a few off hand but I won't mention who they are so that they can > do it themselves. As for me, I guess I'm lucky, both my names are things: > > mike: mic, microphone. > rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. How about Will: a prediction of an occurrence.. e.g. this WILL happen A verb describing strong use of individual control.. e.g. I WILLed myself to resist the temptation.. A noun describing self-control and presence of spirit e.g. he had a very strong WILL or you could do Willy, however this is somewhat colloquial and also disgusting so I think I'll ignore it. Or for my last name... Nunn: Nun, or None I have, however, been unable to come up with a similar word for my middle name: Eberhardt (don't ask me it's Swiss). Wilbz Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ CoolTalk: TANIS@chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 15:52:31 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from her Ian - not much from that Baum - can you guess? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ? "When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble. Give a whistle!" ? ? -Monty Python ? ? M.C.I. ? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 15:56:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Umm...as to names being names of objects or something else... Good question! I think it will be amusing to hear what people say. Here's me: Weaver: one who makes tapestries, furniture, etc. by weaving. -*-*-Nola the Weaver-*-*- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Who knows... Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 16:12:14 18000 > Also, am I the only one who still has not heard Spiraling Shape? > I feel so out of it...I guess I'll have to buy the stupid MMPR soundtrack > *sigh* This would be a very bad thing, since Spiralling Shape isn't on the MIghty Morphin Power Rangers soundtrack! It's on the Kids In The Hall : brain Candy sountrack. (In my opinion, neither was a waste of money, they have songs with redeemable value on each) -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- P.S. This is just starting, haven't got any designs yet! :( ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 16:16:47 18000 > > > Bah, that subject heading didn't really work anyway. > > Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names > which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. I can > think of a few off hand but I won't mention who they are so that they can > do it themselves. As for me, I guess I'm lucky, both my names are things: > > mike: mic, microphone. > rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. > > Anyone else? Let us all know if you don't think this is stupid > or something. > > Mike, embroiled in sweet pickles Well............. Tom - 1. a male cat 2. a male turkey Hare - a mammal related to and resembling rabbits, but larger. Apparently, my parents had some sort of animal fixation. How nice. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- P.S. This is just starting, haven't got any designs yet! :( ------------------------------ From: asturm@par.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 15:26:43 PDT Subject: RE: tmbg-list Digest #2-116 *------------------------------------- Name: Albert J Sturm E-mail: asturm@par.com Date: 02/03/95 Time: 17:06:04 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:26:03 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: monotremes, voodoo dolls, other stuff. Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > Wow, I do have an evil twin! Hi Tara! (So which one of us is the evil > twin? Which one of us cut the arm off the voodoo doll that resembled a > Republican president from long ago? :) > > Waving my broomstick arms, > --Tara > i have lots of evil twins... JOHNS UNITE!!!! not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:29:57 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > mike: mic, microphone. > rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. > > Anyone else? Let us all know if you don't think this is stupid > or something. John - toilet, hooker's client, etc etc Lambert - the sheepish lion from the cartoon (this is kind of stretching it a bit...but hey it works!) not just another john ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:42:40 -0400 Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from her In a message dated 96-04-25 16:01:10 EDT, (Ian Baum) writes: >Ian - not much from that >Baum - can you guess? "Is that a wild or animal, or did I just dream it" > > >????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?? >? "When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble. Give a whistle!" >? >? -Monty Python ? >? M.C.I. >? > >????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?? ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:42:46 -0400 Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here In a message dated 96-04-25 14:59:56 EDT, mrose@acs.ryerson.ca (Michael Rose - PHAF/W95) writes: > Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names >which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. I can >think of a few off hand but I won't mention who they are so that they can >do it themselves. As for me, I guess I'm lucky, both my names are things: > > mike: mic, microphone. > rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. > > Anyone else? Let us all know if you don't think this is stupid >or something. alright, I'll have a go... although my real name isn't actually Ruprecht I'll use it anyway... Ruprecht is German for Robert which sounds a bit like a name for a thief and then Bob is a nickname for Robert and a bob is some sort of thingy but I don't remember what... this thread is only slightly better than the Ana Ng thread I dreaded when I read the subject, but hey, I'm participating in it so I can't complain... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:44:02 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: making converts... the last week in calculus class this kid who sits next to me was asking me about this concert i was going to (barenaked ladies), so i start telling him about them and he also asks about my t-shirt (even though i wear a TMBG t-shirt 75% of the time. i have 6 of them.) so i write down a list of recommendations for him, and who knows? we just might have a newbie on the list in the next few months if he follows up on it. may the force be with you daniel Jedi-Dan@tmbg.org (YES!!! an e-mail address with MY name in it!!!) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:48:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Brian Lamb wrote: > Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > > > Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names > > which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. I can > > think of a few off hand but I won't mention who they are so that they can > > do it themselves. As for me, I guess I'm lucky, both my names are things: > > > > mike: mic, microphone. > > rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. > > > > > > Lamb -- I think this one's obvious > > Brian -- sometimes misspelled Brain...oooh - is that egotistical or what? :-) > just kidding > Jeanette -- doesn't mean anything in English; however, I once read that it means "a little gift" Carol -- a holiday song frost -- that cold stuff you scrape off your windshields in winter. :) Ok, this is kinda fun..... Later. 'Nette ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 13:34:56 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re[2]: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Regarding yours and yours of 4/25/96: >Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: >> Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names >> which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. I can >> think of a few off hand but I won't mention who they are so that they can >> do it themselves. As for me, I guess I'm lucky, both my names are >> things: >> mike: mic, microphone. >> rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. >> >> Anyone else? Let us all know if you don't think this is stupid >> or something. >> >Lamb -- I think this one's obvious >Brian -- sometimes misspelled Brain...oooh - is that egotistical or what? :-) just kidding Oh boy, me too! Suzy -- umm, nothing there. Oops. Byrd -- *often* misspelled Bird, the one with a house in your soul :) Suzy Byrd, looking at you through her rose-colored INFP glasses. ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:14:29 -0400 Subject: 2 nites in a row/Q101 well all those interested, TMBG won for a second nite on q101 against Letters to Cleo, i dont know who there up aganst today but I hope they win, again call in, listen, and Enjoy! (aka) kurt ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:22:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: TMBG in Boston?? On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > Does anyone know of any concerts in the Boston area anytime soon?? I might > find myself in Boston at the end of May, and wouldn't mind seeing > Them...if They're there. Of course I would have to make sure that I am > there on the right day...but I'm getting ahead of myself. > > Three favourite bands: > 1. King Missile > 2. Ween > 3. Everything else I listen to falls under number three...too many to > mention. > > Alex > Hi. Just writing to tell you (all) that Ween played in the Boston area about 3 weeks ago. I was there and played with them. Also, King Missile broke up at least a year ago, and their last good album came out in 1990. love, john ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:32:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: TMBG in Boston?? On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > Hi. Just writing to tell you (all) that Ween played in the Boston area > about 3 weeks ago. I was there and played with them. Yes, I know...apparatnly it was FREE, wasn't it??? I couldn't make it...sob! >Also, King Missile broke up at least a year ago, and their last good >album came out in 1990. Ture, King Missile did break up. I have three of their albums, and they are all equally amazing!! John S. Hall, the lead singer, has a new band now called The Body Has A Head, the title of which was taken from a 1969 book about human physiology. The purpose of the book, as the author Gustav Eckstein puts it, "is to make the human body more familiar to anyone who owns one." Anyway, in my opinion, King Missile can't make a bad album, although I haven't heard the others, so I can't say that for sure. Any other King Missile fans out there?? Alex "I want to be different...like everyone else I want to be like" King Missile - Saturday ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:26:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > this thread is only slightly better than the Ana Ng thread I dreaded when I > read the subject, but hey, I'm participating in it so I can't complain... > I'm not proud, I'll take slightly any day. Mike. the soon to be updated and improved Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Party Hour http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex Emember to check it out this weekend sometime (Saturday afternoon, possibly) for more new and better stuff including my new short story "John". Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:48:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: TMBG on CFNY Okay, so in fifteen minutes or so John and John are going to conduct a live phone interview on this Toronto FM radio station. If you are close enough to T.O. to pick this up, then this message is for you. CFNY 102.1 FM. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:50:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: TMBG in Boston?? On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > > > Hi. Just writing to tell you (all) that Ween played in the Boston area > about 3 weeks ago. I was there and played with them. Also, King Missile > broke up at least a year ago, and their last good album came out in 1990. > love, john > Ok, Eric, or, um, John... can you please tell us in what context you played with Ween? I do so love them. Your message was tantalisingly vague. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:53:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: TMBG in Boston?? On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > Ture, King Missile did break up. I have three of their albums, and > they are all equally amazing!! John S. Hall, the lead singer, has a new > band now called The Body Has A Head, the title of which was taken from a > 1969 book about human physiology. The purpose of the book, as the author > Gustav Eckstein puts it, "is to make the human body more familiar to > anyone who owns one." Anyway, in my opinion, King Missile can't make a > bad album, although I haven't heard the others, so I can't say that for > sure. Any other King Missile fans out there?? > > Alex > > "I want to be different...like everyone else I want to be like" > King Missile - Saturday > I think 1991's The Way To Salvation is as good a rock album as can be made. I like a lot of Happy Hour but overall it's not as tight. It is worth owning, though. Mike, the chatterbox ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:54:51 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Typing At 09:06 PM 4/24/96 -0600, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: >* ISTJ's unite! :-) We Can't.....you're a pink supporter..... BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others."--William Allen White ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:35:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: If anybody cares..... I noticed that a lot of people are listing their top three OTHER favorite bands lately, and I thought I'd share. Now, keep in mind, I have blatantly different tastes from everyone else on the list, and you honestly do not get to see these guys in concert anymore, but here goes...... 1. The Beatles. They still rule, and any band that can sing with a dead guy gets an extra ten points in my book. I've listened to them regularly since I was five, and am a certified Beatles Freak. 2. Simon and Garfunkle. Oh, those harmonies!! 3. Cream. Eric Clapton's old band. Great stuff. Get their album Strange Brew for a good "sampler platter". Ok, that would be it. Later, my loves, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:02:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Rasputin Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Ok...you want names? Craig- derived from "craeg," Gaelic for rock Allan- my father's first name Baenziger- any guesses? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:03:56 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: Re: may 16, 1996 YOU SUCK BOB! John Lambert wrote: > > Bob Schroer wrote: > > > > not only will THEY be in cincinnati on 5-17, they will be in columbus on > > 5-16 > > > > i'll be at both shows. > > > > gooooo!!!! ohiooooooo!!!!!!! > > you suck bob!!! why is it that the one!!! weekend i leave town THEY come > not only once, but twice!!!!! i don't like it that my two show gap on > you (for those of you not informed...bob and i are buds from way back and > we live in cincinnati...i have seen THEY 2 more times in concert than bob > palindrome bob has) is evaporating! > > i'll do everything i can to go on wed if that turns out to be a show!! > > not just another john you wanna know what sucks ???? 1)no show wed. it was a misprint. 2)you had to buckle under to your wining wife and take her back to that god-forsaken state (no offense to anyone out there from oklahoma) that you took her from, and now your going to miss the concerts. speaking of wining wives... mine refuses to go to the columbus show with me. she says that she will not be able to make it to work the next day. so, if there is anyone else out there from cin. who may be looking to car pool up to columbus for the show email me. bob palindrome bob ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:07:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Rasputin Subject: Re: If anybody cares..... > 1. The Beatles. They still rule, and any band that can sing with a dead > guy gets an extra ten points in my book. I've listened to them regularly > since I was five, and am a certified Beatles Freak. > > 2. Simon and Garfunkle. Oh, those harmonies!! > > 3. Cream. Eric Clapton's old band. Great stuff. Get their album Strange > Brew for a good "sampler platter". > > Ok, that would be it. > > Later, my loves, > 'Nette > Nice choices. Of course, my faves (other than TMBG) are: 1) Beethoven (ok so he's not a group...) 2) Simon and Garfunkle (same reason as 'Nette's) 3) Voice Versa (a group from Westminster Choir College. Awesome group. I may get to hear them rehearse. If you want an explaination, e-mail me.) Later all. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:34:46 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > > Bah, that subject heading didn't really work anyway. Try: umop episdn *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:36:23 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: aweu umop episdn Chris: Christ, holy, uh... Kopenec: Your guess is as good as mine... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:37:40 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: 2 nites in a row/Q101 On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 KAACoolGuy@AOL.COM wrote: > well all those interested, > > TMBG won for a second nite on q101 against Letters to Cleo, > i dont know who there up aganst today but I hope they win, again > call in, listen, and Enjoy! Post the telephone Number and area code and even I'LL call long distance to help them win... > > (aka) > kurt > *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:39:24 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: TMBG in Boston?? On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: I've only got 2 King Missile albums, The Road To Salvation and Mystical Shit. I think they bothare pretty cool...oh wait, theres another one i've gotthat's really bright colors with a guy pulling a frog (?) out of a hat on the cover.... > On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Erik Swedberg wrote: > > > Hi. Just writing to tell you (all) that Ween played in the Boston area > > about 3 weeks ago. I was there and played with them. > > Yes, I know...apparatnly it was FREE, wasn't it??? I couldn't make it...sob! > > >Also, King Missile broke up at least a year ago, and their last good > >album came out in 1990. > > Ture, King Missile did break up. I have three of their albums, and > they are all equally amazing!! John S. Hall, the lead singer, has a new > band now called The Body Has A Head, the title of which was taken from a > 1969 book about human physiology. The purpose of the book, as the author > Gustav Eckstein puts it, "is to make the human body more familiar to > anyone who owns one." Anyway, in my opinion, King Missile can't make a > bad album, although I haven't heard the others, so I can't say that for > sure. Any other King Missile fans out there?? > > Alex > > "I want to be different...like everyone else I want to be like" > King Missile - Saturday > *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:41:52 -0500 (CDT) From: AUSTIN Subject: CDs and Videos I just went to the address http://www.cdconnection.com. They had a John Henry import cd for sell. Does anyone know if that CD had anything special on it? It says "with limited live". Also I was wondering if $12.81 was a good price for the TMBG video? Thanks! Josh Austin Home Page: http://www.su.okstate.edu/pages/Business/austijs.htm "Somebody put their finger in the president's ear, and it wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's Wax." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:09:15 -0700 (PDT) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: intermission OK, there's this section in The Stanford Daily that comes out weekly. It's called Intermission, and it's an arts/entertainment/stuph insert. Anyway, this week's happens to have a cover story on Frank Black, Duke of Earl and TMBG opener extraordinaire. He doesn't mention Them. But, inside, there's a review of the new Barenaked Ladies album, _Born on a pirate ship_. It got 4 records out of five, and in it the reviewer says (and I quote): "Essentially, they sound like They Might Be Giants with an attention span." Discuss. Also, can anyone identify the quote in my .sig? It is TMBG related, but (hint) not said or sung by Them. send responses to me, please. ############################################################# Jason Weiner *"I took a wrong turn of events. Stanford University * A wrong fork in the situation." discord@leland.stanford.edu * ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:22:22 -0700 From: Spudster Subject: Frank Black Hey all I don't know if anyone cares, but I am thrilled that I am going to Frank Black on Friday. He's playing at the Filmore, and next to TMBG and Weezer he's one of my most listened to artists. (It allways helps when you're going to a show with a good looking woman too.) -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ From: Butrose17@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 20:22:34 -0400 Subject: READ THIS NOW! please? Everyone- the number for Q101 is (708)591-8300. The cage match will start at around 8:30, so you guys can call anytime after taht. And please call! THEY have won the last two nights in a row, and that would be cool if they won again tonight(and tomorrow night , and the night after that, and so on). So PLEASE CALL!!! And vote for TMBG!!! Thanx, Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 20:04:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here > > Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names > > which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. Well, here's mine: Dickey: well, other than those little things that go under shirts, I can think of another meaning for my last name, but I think I'll agree with Will, when he said that explaining his name as "Willy" would be a bit disgusting. Same goes for me. ;) My first name, Kylee, really doesn't mean anything, but it is interesting that it's an Australian name that means "boomerang." Not quite sure what to think of that. =) On a TMBG note, I read a couple interps of Mrs. Train (and finally got a copy of it a couple days ago!), and thought I'd add another way of looking at it, although I'm not sure which I like better. I agree that it's definitely about a wedding (because of the "train" being the train of the wedding gown). I like the interpretations about it being a man about to get married who's getting cold feet. I also like the idea that it could be a man who is not engaged. He watches all his old friends and himself getting close to marriage and is afraid he might be the first in the line of friends to get married (in other words, he doesn't "want to be the first in line to see Mrs. Train.") Partway through the song, he begins to realize that marriage is inevitable for him. "I'll be happy when I finally take her hand." (i.e. hand in marriage) There's never been a train like this before. Someone's got to be the one at the head of the line to see Mrs. Train." And at this point when he changes his mind and realizes that he is at a point in his life when he's ready for marriage, he realizes "that the line has a missing head." I've heard this interpreted before that there is no one left in front of him, no head to the line, because he _is_ at the front of the line. (I really like that interp, btw.) _But_ I also think it could mean just the opposite. He suddenly sees the "missing head." Ironically, after fearing that he would see Mrs. Train for so long; now he's afraid that he'll never see the head of the line, that he'll never be the next to marry. Don't know if I like that interpretation any better than the others, but I hadn't heard it mentioned before. What does everyone else think about Mrs. Train? BTW, I know this isn't exactly TMBG related, but I have a feeling several TBG fans are Muppets fans, too. ABC has put "Muppets Tonite" on hiatus! =( I'm planning on writing a letter to ABC; I'd urge anyone else who loves the Muppets to do the same thing. Was anyone else watching Muppets Tonite? I just joined the list last week and _love_ it so far! (Here in NE, Tara is the only true TMBG fan I know!) You guys are the coolest! ****************************** \ / ( * Kylee Kay Dickey * ) ( \ ) * 00083933@bigred.unl.edu * / ) ) ( * kylee@tmbg.org * ( ( ( ) * Height: 5'3":I'm the LWFAP * ______________________ ****************************** ` '_ * "When creatures are that * \ TWIN PEAKS / \ * little, maybe God doesn't * \ SHERRIFF'S DEPT. / ] * bother to govern them, but * l _l___/ * just lets them run wild." * \__ ___/ * -from a student essay * /________\ * in my English book * ****************************** "If you say drink coffee, I'll drink coffee." -Agent Cooper =) SMILE! =) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:11:10 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from her Sorry Ruprecht, I was thinking more of bomb - an explosive device, or balm - an ointment of sorts. (I was this close to being named Adam) ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ? "When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble. Give a whistle!" ? ? -Monty Python ? ? M.C.I. ? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:42:40 -0400 From: Ruprecht76@aol.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from her In a message dated 96-04-25 16:01:10 EDT, (Ian Baum) writes: >Ian - not much from that >Baum - can you guess? "Is that a wild or animal, or did I just dream it" > > >????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?? >? "When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble. Give a whistle!" >? >? -Monty Python ? >? M.C.I. >? > >????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?? ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: deciphering the ancient words.. Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:24:17 -0400 (EDT) Here goes: Matt--"gift of God" I have heard James--some English guy who had lots of time on his hands said call him James K.--as in OK! Polke--as in polk@tmbg.org (mail me today! 8-) matt.james.k.polk@tmbg.org -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:30:39 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: hi guys... yes it's a rare post from the Vonnegut Vassal... on the whole name thing: hmm...my first name, Francis (yes, it's the male spelling), is a mystery...i'm sure it means somehting, but...? interesting though, that, along the same lines, i was once looking in a dictionary for "fran" or something similar, and these are the funny words i found: forb: any herb other than grass (?) and frangible: fragile or delicate... funny, i am neither of those! :) and my last name... Koiner?? (coins? who knows?) and to the guy whose last name is Baum...well, it's "tree" in German... (you probably already knew that...) ok, well...there are other things i'd like to post, but...*phew* i'm out of breath, heheh... love you all! --fran (AKA the Vonnegut Vassal) ------------------------------ From: Butrose17@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:39:18 -0400 Subject: Back To Skull for whoever wanted a copy of "Bck To Skull": I have one, but I don't really want to sell it. If you live anywhere near the Phoenix, Arizona area, there is a store taht sells old nd used Cds, where I got mine (only 50 cents!!!!). You can mail me if you want more info. "Don't ever do that again." Jordan ------------------------------ From: Butrose17@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:41:04 -0400 Subject: TMBG and Q101 If anyone is out there, you can call Q101 now and vote for TMBG, the number again is (708)591-8300. THEY WILL WIN!!! Thanx, Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:14:31 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: Bearnaked ladies The Bearnaked ladies are going to be at Binghamton University in NY either tomorrow or Friday..is anyone going? C\_/ * C\_/ * C\_/ * C\_/ Amy now you know...that when it rains it snows * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:26:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Jack- (noun), a thingie used to lift a car up. (verb), to lift a car or other large object (verb), to do that thing that people do when there's no one else around. (related) Jack of all trades, Jackhammer, Jack-in-the-box, Jackknife, Jack 'o' lantern, Jackrabbit, a million others. or my real name: John- (noun), a toilet (noun), one or more musical deites middle name: Thomas- (noun), Doubting Thomas last name" Curley- (adj), not straight (spelled differently) --John T. (Jack) Curley john@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:57:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: aweu umop episdn Okay, I wanna do my first name too, since evryone else is doing each of their names. Nola: Celtic or Gaelic for little flower Harriet: Ummm...hard hearted harbinger of haggas? I already did Weaver. Okay, I have to tell you all I can't believe I just posted my middle name to 500 people. I used to tell people I didn't have a middle name. *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:57:59 -0400 Subject: Again, and Again, and Again: TMBG-Q101 Yes, They have done it again. Spiralling Shape beat some other song by a group I can't spell on "cage smash" on Q101 tonight. I belive They must have a very big Chicago following, this is the third night in a row! All I have to say is, They'll be going all the way, through tomorrow. Maybe after this, They'll be played on the radio a bit more... -Young Hickory Napoleon ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 23:11:32 -0400 From: Bob Bird Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here At 04:42 PM 4/25/96 -0400, you wrote: >Ruprecht is German for Robert which sounds a bit like a name for a thief and >then Bob is a nickname for Robert and a bob is some sort of thingy but I >don't remember what... > Bob - the floating thing on a fishing pole, or what you do for apples. It's also a palindrome!!! Bird- well, those little flying animals, the ones with beaks and wings. Bob Bird bob@tmbg.org mr.horrible@tmbg.org <---gratuitous bragging :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 23:12:08 -0400 From: julinka@tmbg.org (Julinka) Subject: re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here Julia: fair haired, but that's extremely boring Anna: grace, mercy, *yawn* Pietrus (this is kind of neat): either a derivative of Peter (Piotr) or a vegetable (Pietruszka), which I will seem like a complete idiot for not knowing the name of in English. It's like a carrot but it's white. love and other neat stuff, Julinka "Oh, please don't go! | We'll eat you up! | Curtsey while you're thinking what to say. It saves time. We love you so!" | -the wild things | ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 23:18:36 -0400 From: Bob Bird Subject: Re: If anybody cares..... At 06:35 PM 4/25/96 -0400, you wrote: >I noticed that a lot of people are listing their top three OTHER favorite >bands lately, and I thought I'd share. Now, keep in mind, I have >blatantly different tastes from everyone else on the list, and you >honestly do not get to see these guys in concert anymore, but here goes...... > >1. The Beatles. >2. Simon and Garfunkle. >3. Cream. While we're on "different" favorite bands, I guess I could list mine... 1. Alice In Chains 2. Metallica 3. Soundgarden Needless to say, I get a little upset when I see people trashing bands on this list because they figure NOBODY who listens to TMBG could like them... Bob mr.horrible@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 23:32:33 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: what is that vegetable! sorry to post this to the list, but when i replied to "julinka" it was sent back to me (even though i had replied...?) it's a TURNIP!...not that anyone but me even cares... :) see you guys around! --fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal @ | _ / | \ _ ( | ) ) ) | ( ( ( ~ ) - V - ~-~ | Fran, the 'cellist ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:25:57 -0500 From: a boy with a crown and a sceptre? Subject: Re: If anybody cares..... hmmm... other than tmbg who would my favorites be... i'd have to say, not necissarily in this order... 1. Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine british band, unfortuantely very unknown in the us, so they never come here, no label anywhere anymore, so their stuff gets increasingly harder to get all the time. 2. The Presidents of the United States of America can't resist them... everytime they come on tv i am forced to watch whatever helplessly, listen to their album allthe way through all the time, used to every day, just always seemed to be on... 3. the BREEDERS. they're super. although i like the pixies, i'm glad they broke up, i'd take frank black and the breeders over them anyday. ThE BREEDERS!!! going back into the studio soon!!!! paul, a boy with a crown and a sceptre. ------------------------------ From: Yaegers@aol.com Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 23:41:44 -0400 Subject: Id? howdy howdy howdy {1st post on list} ...For months I was under the impression that in A Self Called Nowhere contained the lyrics "it's a thing named 'Id' in a bottomless pit, you can't see it there," (as in the Id, ego, superego) until one fateful afternoon when my brother informed me it was "a thing named 'it' in a bottomless pit..." I thought the Id thing worked well with the line and with the song, and sounded fine to me. It was one of my fav lines from a tmbg song, and I'm now slightly disheartened. Don't ask me why. Maybe cause I felt foolish? Anyone make this mistake? Could it be possible THEY do utter Id, maybe once? Also, I'll be up and down the east coast towards the end of May and beginning of June, does anyone know of any tour dates in that region during that time frame? It'd be helpful for planning and such. Mister Pete ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 20:59:20 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here > Just suddenly interested in how many of you out there have names > which are also words for objects or other things in our culture. Hicks, as in hayseeds, rednecks, bumpkins, rubes. "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 00:06:50 -0400 Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here On the subject of names, my last name is Spain. What do you think the country was named after? ...........Hello--ME! tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 00:13:14 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG in Boston?? King Missile is pretty cool. I especially like "Cheesecake Truck" and "Jesus Was Way Cool". A friend put the latter on a mix for me b/c he thought that it was a clever tune, even with me being an atheist. :) tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 00:19:16 -0400 Subject: Re: intermission Personally, I love BNL (and Frank Black). I don't think that they sound like TMBG at all!! I have no idea what that reviewer is talking about. tucker ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:39:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Fingertips covers :) About that Fingertips thing...for "Catching on Fire", I think Talking Heads really ought to do that one. Can't anyone else hear David Byrne, in his paranoid voice, going, "Everything is catching on, everything is catching on fire"? :) And hey, imagining Bob Dylan covering anything by anybody is fun. :) (Don't get me wrong; I like Bob Dylan.) Does anybody else remember that he did a solo verse on "We Are The World"? "It's truuuue, we make a brighter daaay, just yoooooo and meeeeee." I just remembered that the other day when I was listening to TMBG's lovely rendition of it on the Stumpbox tape. :) You know, it's really frightening that I remember that. --Tara "Well you can compromise my high ideals, Exploit my sex appeal, Make me do things even if I don't wanna, Like a choreographed video with Madonna. And even if you think my singing stinks, Then we'll just have to go find somebody else so they can lip sync. 'Cause everything would be fine Just as long as I sign on that dotted line..." --Wally Pleasant, "(I Wanna Be A) Pop Star" *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: bottle of smoke Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 00:57:24 -0400 (EDT) I just thought of something. It'd be cool to see TMBG cover Bottle of Smoke by the Pogues. Linnell doin the accordian, Flans shouting out 20 f***ing 5 to one Me gambling days are done I bet on a horse called the Bottle of Smoke And my horse won! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: If anybody cares..... Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 01:00:50 -0400 (EDT) > hmmm... other than tmbg who would my favorites be... > > i'd have to say, not necissarily in this order... > > 1. Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine > > british band, unfortuantely very unknown in the us, so they never come here, > no label anywhere anymore, so their stuff gets increasingly harder to get > all the time. This isn't like Carter USM or whatever that band is right? Speaking of British bands, has anyone heard the Dentists? I've been meaning for the l ongest time to hear some of their stuff but alas have not. I have even e-mailed one of the band members and he told me to get the new album but I never did. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 01:05:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: My apartment looks ndsipe pomu from here On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > John- (noun), a toilet > (noun), one or more musical deites > > middle name: > > Thomas- (noun), Doubting Thomas Of course if you take your real and middle name, you get John Thomas, and that's just a Monty Python gag waiting to happen. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 01:12:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: TMBG in Boston?? On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Chris Kopenec wrote: > On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > > I've only got 2 King Missile albums, The Road To Salvation and Mystical > Shit. I think they bothare pretty cool...oh wait, theres another one > i've gotthat's really bright colors with a guy pulling a frog (?) out of > a hat on the cover.... That one is their latest album, called King Missile. Songs of note are The Commercial, The Dishwasher, Let's Have Sex, and Love Is. Alex "Are you icky, are you sticky, are you hot as an evening? Hey get away from summer and cut off all your limbs" King Missile - The Commercial ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 01:15:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: oops I screwed up the last King Missile quote. It was supposed to be "Are you icky, are you sticky, are you hot as ANYTHING?" not evening! I used to think they were saying "evening", so that's how I typed it...I'm an idiot! Not that anyone really cares...oh well, my next post will be much more interesting (and much more TMBG related) Alex, the fool! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 01:59:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM Well, as promised from last week, TMBG were on CFNY 102.1FM. It was a live telephone interview with Flansburgh, although in the background, I'm pretty sure I can hear Linnell either singing live, or being played back on tape. Anyway, They were supposed to be on sometime during a two hour show, and wouldn't you know it, They were on during the last 15 minutes. The rest of the show was filled with an hour spotlight of the new 54/40 album, a much too long interview with The Killjoys, and gobs of commercials, public announcements and other useless information. My apologies go out to those of you who like either 54/40 or The Killjoys, but when I'm waiting for TMBG to be interviewed on the radio, don't waste my time with that other crap! Anyway, I taped the interview, and will now proceed to post some of the more interesting bits: CFNY: "So, what's the status of the new record?" Flans: "Well, the album should be out in October, and the track that's on the Kids In The Hall soundtrack will be on the album. We've got a bundle of new songs, including Pearl, that I've been singing all day and that might be the single...it sounds very hit-like." CFNY: "How have you been recording the record? Is it just the two of you, is there any guest being brought in, is there a producer, what's the story there?" Flasn: "Well, we have a full band, it's pretty much a five peice band...regular kind of Rolling Stones type of line up except instead of Mick Jagger, we've got John Linnell playing the accordian...it's just a little bit different, but other than that, it's exactly like the Rolling Stones." CFNY: "Is there a tentative title yet for the record?" Flans: "Uhhh, I don't know, let's see, we're thinking of a bunch of different titles, they're all kind of...we thought about calling it "AT LARGE"" The radio station then proceeded to play Birdhouse In Your Soul. CFNY: "What's comming up in the future, what can we look for from the club?" Flans: "Uhhh, well, we'll be on the road, we'll probably be touring...we'll definitely be touring in the Fall...we're opening for Hootie And The Blowfish on a stadium tour..." CFNY: "Okay." Flans: "...um, playing for like 25,000 people a night, so that'll be different than our average touring thing, and then we'll do our own tour for an endless period of time...you wanna hear a song?" CFNY: "Ya, sure." Flans: "Alright, let me grab my guitar here..." At this time, John Flansburgh played "Sing Like A Girl". A really good song but kinda short. I remember some posts about him singing this song at a concert...is that true? Does anyone know if this is from the full length Mono Puff, or is it a TMBG song?? That's basically all the really interesting stuff from the interview. Flans also talked about the Hello CD club, and a bit about Kids In The Hall, but I decided to leave that out of this already way too long message. The station also played Istanbul (Not Constantinople) at the end of the interview. It kind of pissed me off that they didn't play Spiralling Shape, a new songs that few people have heard, and instead played the really popular, well known songs that practically everyone is familiar with. I mean, if they're doing this interview to catch up with what the band is upto, they could at least play Their new tune...promote the new album, or the KitH soundtrack. That's probably why They don't have as large a following as we would hope...because whenever someone hears Them on the radio, it's a song they've already heard, so they don't realise just how diverse They really are...get it?? Does any of that make any sense at all?? On a final note, Flans said that he will be getting married in the summer! I sense many dissapointed girls (and maybe some guys) on the list. Well, that's it, if you can't hear the music, you've gone too far! Alex You can now email me at: SPY@tmbg.org or Alex@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 18:16:03 +1200 From: blue.canary@tmbg.org (sam JOHN pearson.) Subject: radio show Thanks to: *Jeremy Leung *Matt. James *Snowball In Hell (jcurley) who wrote in suggestions for my radio show dedicated to TMBG. I managed to play pretty much all of the reccomended songs, the log looking something like this: -track 13 from misc t, the TMBG song, subliminal...lots of songs...ending with 'the end of the tour' (TEOTT). However something went wrong with the changeover from my show to 'BBC World', so after playing 'TEOTT' I had to play stompbox then TEOTT again before I figured out what was wrong. No great loss to anyone I'm sure you'll agree. see ya, Sam. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ sjp6@tmbg.org blue.canary@tmbg.org sjp6@waikato.ac.nz ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-117 ******************************