Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-118 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 118 Saturday, 27 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: bottle of smoke Re: Fingertips covers :) (none) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-116 Re: Id? Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-117 lots of stuff Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM PAIN!!! Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-117 cage smash...question Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM Opps!! Everything Re: PAIN!!! Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM Radio update and other useless stuff Hootie? I think not. Re: Fingertips: The Album? Fav bands... Re: Hootie? I think not. Opening for Hootie (none) Favorite Bands Names Yeesh. The real # for Q101 CALL Q101 AT 8:30 CENTRAL TIME TONIGHT AND VOTE FOR TMBG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want The Power of Grayskull--er, Dial-A-Song Rubaiyat Who-be-at? Q101/3 nites in a row/TMBG The whole Number and Q101 thing Favorite Bands Re: Rubaiyat Who-be-at? anagrams and other crazy stuff Re: anagrams and other crazy stuff Hootie and the disciples of evil Flaming hillbilly colour Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM I'm quitting for now Tomorrow's Edison Lab thing-y. Re: Rubaiyat Who-be-at? Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil name thing & Ben's Dial a song Fwd: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-117 things SS song on Q101 (chicago) http://www.quest.net/performance/toursearch?name=they+might+be+giants concert TMBG & Hootie. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 05:37:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: bottle of smoke On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > I just thought of something. It'd be cool to see TMBG cover Bottle > of Smoke by the Pogues. Linnell doin the accordian, Flans shouting > out 20 f***ing 5 to one > Me gambling days are done > I bet on a horse called the Bottle of Smoke > And my horse won! > Matt > -- > ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ > Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org > "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp > Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass > -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- > Wow....one that has actually heard of the Pogues. Didn't think those people existed. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 07:55:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: Fingertips covers :) David Byrne would rock covering ANY TMBG song! He is so cool. And once again, Tara, we have something in common. I also love Bobby Dylan, he should do a cover of Hall of Heads, man, that would be bitchin' But you're right, anything he covered would be great! *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: gsm_kth@pkinus3.serigate.philips.nl Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 12:50:37 +0200 to: Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote >>Ian - not much from that >>Baum - can you guess? > >"Is that a wild or animal, or did I just dream it" No, that's a BALM, silly. Keith (The Tart With A Heart) "Don't worry, I'll turn my charisma down a notch - they'll just drift off" ------------------------------ From: "BOBA" Organization: anubis Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:43:29 EST Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-116 Mean Mikey Rose Wrote: >OKLAHOMA! The only state to inspire a musical starring Rod Steiger. I was in my high school's production of Oklahoma, and played the part of Judd, the role that Rod played!!! Rose, you do rule!!!! Johnny Relph, thanks for the disco news!! Does anyone know about the release of the TMBG/Gordon Gano song?? Does anyone know if it is going to be released? Who can Identify the alias in my sig.?? Boba Out. -Matthew Ondrey, the unseen whaler. boba@tmbg.org "I'VE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO TONIGHT THAN DIE" - SPRINGER ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 09:59:58 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Id? > {1st post on list} > ...For months I was under the impression that in A Self Called Nowhere > contained the lyrics "it's a thing named 'Id' in a bottomless pit, you can't > see it there," (as in the Id, ego, superego) until one fateful afternoon when > my brother informed me it was "a thing named 'it' in a bottomless pit..." > I thought the Id thing worked well with the line and with the song, and > sounded fine to me. It was one of my fav lines from a tmbg song, and I'm now > slightly disheartened. Don't ask me why. Maybe cause I felt foolish? > Anyone make this mistake? Could it be possible THEY do utter Id, maybe once? Well it was discussed before that most of us thought it was "Id". Its is hard to tell because in the lyrics its typed out as "Id" and "It" and either one of those are typeo's. The first time I heard it I thought it was "it" but after listening to it again and again with the volume up it sounds more like "Id". Guess the next time They are on a radio call in show one of us must call in and ask. (Which should be soon considering thier new album is comming out soon). ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 10:25:13 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-117 hi there! anne: an (admittedly lame) heidemann: hide-a-man (!) peace, anne "incriminating herself" heidemann ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:43:12 -0400 From: Susan Lyon Subject: lots of stuff my name doesn't really mean much: "susan" - uh...nuthin "lynn" - uh...nuthin "lydia" - a rich chick in the new testament who gave money and stuff to the disciples. i think there was a country or region named lydia too. "lyon" - a big animal that roars a lot, except it's spelled wrong. or a city in france. my three next-favourite bands are: 1. the smiths 2. the dead milkmen 3. probably skankin' pickle (ska band...any other rudies around?) thanks to whoever posted the bits of the flans interview off the radio. was i just hallucinating or did i read that tmbg are opening for HOOTIE AND THE BLOWFISH??????? please god, don't make me have to buy hootie tickets...wasn't spending the summer in south carolina enough???? and flansy's getting married??? too bad. he's such a cutie. --susan, the meaningless one o- <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> <*> my other brain is also a porsche <*> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> <*> the.statue@tmbg.org <*> mozzer@umich.edu <*> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:04:47 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM In a message dated 96-04-26 02:06:30 EDT, yu108533@YorkU.CA (Alex Gershon) writes: > >CFNY: "So, what's the status of the new record?" > >Flans: "Well, the album should be out in October, and the track that's >on the Kids In The Hall soundtrack will be on the album. We've got a bundle >of new songs, including Pearl, that I've been singing all day and that >might be the single...it sounds very hit-like." > >CFNY: "How have you been recording the record? Is it just the two of >you, is there any guest being brought in, is there a producer, what's the >story there?" Hey look, they're actually looking for a hit! > >Flasn: "Well, we have a full band, it's pretty much a five peice >band...regular kind of Rolling Stones type of line up except instead of Mick >Jagger, we've got John Linnell playing the accordian...it's just a little >bit different, but other than that, it's exactly like the Rolling Stones." > I have an idea why their doing this and ditching the horn section... the horn section, I think, sort of gives the appearance of a ska band and something you'd really want to mosh to... plus it might be easier not to have to right for the horn as well and figure them into every song > >CFNY: "What's comming up in the future, what can we look for from the club?" > >Flans: "Uhhh, well, we'll be on the road, we'll probably be >touring...we'll definitely be touring in the Fall...we're opening for Hootie >And The Blowfish on a stadium tour..." Do you know what this means? we'll have to pay to see Hootie and tell people we're going to see Hootie and deal with Hootie's _sold out_ shows... but it also means that They could be on the road to mega exposure or mega failure if that Hootie blimp collapses in fire the way the critics want it to... an album could actually sell more copies than flood... their next album could actually go platinum on the Hootie wave... It's gonna be damn hard to get they tickets..... my apolligies to anyone who likes Hootie, and their families who have to listen to it :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:07:01 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: PAIN!!! TMBG opening for Bootie and the Buttfish?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH UNSUBSCRIBE Dave Gonzalez Just kidding! You gotta admit, though. That sucks....... drg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:18:57 -0500 (EST) From: echobenny Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-117 Okay, this is going to people who keep telling me to listen to Q101...every damn town in America has a Q101...please be more specific...comm. radio stations tend to be frightningly similar so you have to distinguish the station by a little more than just corporate call letters....thanks Ben *------------------------------------------------------------ "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told you can only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like, be like yourself." -- They Might Be Giants "Where do correct ideas come from? Do they drop from the sky? Are they inate in the mind? They come from social practice and from it alone." -- The Scene Is Now Ben Houck--Houckbe@math.earlham.edu--Hangs in the air the way most bricks don't. ___________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:47:44 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Speaker for the Dead) Subject: cage smash...question ok, this is important, about cage smash (that tmbg vs. the world radio show...:) #1, what time zone is that? i'd look like a fool if i called at the wrong time! #2, do they ask where you are from? if they do i would like to lie and say i'm from your area...where should i say:) ? Oh, and please respond to this to me, because i only get the digest and i want to make sure to get it in time to vote tonight!! Spiralling Shape forever!! Who do they face tonight? Is tonight the last day? Was it like a bracket tournament-like system? Ok, enough wit the questions i guess:) My name is of no consequence to the thread concerning names. It is good that way:) And my fav. 3 bands (after TmBg of course) are: 1) the PiXies 2) Counting Crows 3) MoXy FrUvous a-wA-Hoo! a-whaaaaaaaa-Bo! Nathan, who is eagerly awaiting the new album doubly so now that he knows a tenative release date, and who is super excited also because he just got his first HellO Cd's! They might be GIANTs the PiXies\MoXy FruVous\R.E.M.\Soul Asylum\Ben Folds FiVe\3 Dog Night Simon&Garfunkel\Joan Osborne\SmashinG PumPkins\the RedneKs\James Counting Crows\Alanis Morissette\Dave MaTThews Band\Blues TraveLLer U2\the Cranberries\TalKing Heads\the BottLe RocKets\Crash Test Dummies Tori Amos\WashBoard JungLe\Throwing Muses\Natalie Merchant\Nirvana The Presidents of the U.S. of America\the Offspring\Green Day\the Ordinaires ThrEE Famous BooK ^ | My musical interests whew, i just had to do that...don't know why...bye now:) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:39:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM I am shedding a tear at one more prospective husband for Nola lost... Well that leave John Linnell and Kiefer Sutherland! Hee hee :) Nola *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:14:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Ruprecht76@aol.com: >I have an idea why their doing this and ditching the horn section... the horn >section, I think, sort of gives the appearance of a ska band and something >you'd really want to mosh to... plus it might be easier not to have to right >for the horn as well and figure them into every song More importantly, it's two or three less people to pay, feed, house, transport, etc. when touring. >Do you know what this means? we'll have to pay to see Hootie and tell people >we're going to see Hootie and deal with Hootie's _sold out_ shows... but it This is one of the signs of the apocalypse, isn't it? ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: SANDERSCR@centum.utulsa.edu Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:32:38 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Opps!! Thanks to all the wonderful They fans who corrected my stupid mistake - I had forgotten that Sensurround was on MMPR, and Spiralling Shape on Brain Candy. Thanks for not flaming me considerably. They people are so cool... Chris-man, lives his life in a garba...I mean dorm ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 12:46:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Jason C Riek Subject: Everything Yes, this is my first post. I'm a big Barnaked Ladies fan, and I agree with the reviewer; their first album was cool and silly and stuff, had a lot of nonsense type songs. They've gotten more serious. But they do sound like TMBG, IMHO. I'm an INTJ or an INFP or an ISTP it changes everytime I take the test. I'm always an I though. Jason - Healer Christopher - "One of Christ" I think, something like that Riek - German, I believe it means order or group or something like that Wanderlust =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Have you ever heard something that made | Jason Riek everything else sound like echoes?" | Carnegie Mellon University -Keith Irwin ________________| wanderlust@cmu.edu | http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~wander ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:11:48 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: PAIN!!! On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, David Gonzalez wrote: > > TMBG opening for Bootie and the Buttfish?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? > > AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH > > UNSUBSCRIBE Dave Gonzalez > > Just kidding! You gotta admit, though. That sucks....... OK GUYS...do you REALLY think They are going to open for Hootie??? i don't think They would ever stoop so low (sorry for those of you who like them)...i regarded that commment on Flans's part with much skepticism...i mean, you've seen Them joke around and poke fun at previous interviewers, so... i am doubting that this is really the case, or else i have a really fierce case of "denial"... --fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 12:47:18 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Alex Gershon: >Flans: "Uhhh, well, we'll be on the road, we'll probably be >touring...we'll definitely be touring in the Fall...we're opening for Hootie >And The Blowfish on a stadium tour..." This strikes me as mildly odd, as Hootie is on Altantic Records while TMBG are on Elektra... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 10:44:52 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM On 4/25/96 11:34 PM, Alex Gershon wrote: >Flans:....We've got a bundle of new songs, including Pearl, that I've been >singing all day and that might be the single...it sounds very hit-like." Umm, exactly what does a *hit* sound like? >Flasn: "Well, we have a full band, it's pretty much a five peice >band...regular kind of Rolling Stones type of line up except instead of >Mick Jagger, we've got John Linnell playing the accordian...it's just a >little bit different, but other than that, it's exactly like the Rolling >Stones." Sounds great - will Linnell be wearing skin-tight pants on the tour? >CFNY: "What's comming up in the future, what can we look for from the club?" >Flans: "Uhhh, well, we'll be on the road, we'll probably be >touring...we'll definitely be touring in the Fall...we're opening for Hootie >And The Blowfish on a stadium tour..." HE'S JOKING, OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE MUST BE JOKING. THERE IS NO OTHER POSSIBILITY. >At this time, John Flansburgh played "Sing Like A Girl". A really good >song but kinda short. I remember some posts about him singing this song >at a concert...is that true? Does anyone know if this is from the full >length Mono Puff, or is it a TMBG song?? I think the whole thing started with Them playing the remake of "She Was a Hotel Detective" during the Mercury Lounge shows (or maybe it was before that, can anyone verify?) - the audience would go bananas when Flans sang the falsetto part and so it became the running joke, "singing like a girl." >...because whenever someone hears Them on the radio, it's a song >they've already heard, so they don't realise just how diverse They really >are...get it?? Does any of that make any sense at all?? I peel your fain, I certainly do. >On a final note, Flans said that he will be getting married in the >summer! Oh no! Another one succumbs to the bondage of matrimony! Long live bachelorhood! :) **Standard apology for disjointed post: Frosty the Supervisor is slapping the trained monkeys with a wet mackerel today, and it's interrupting my concentration, damn it. OK, guys and dolls, go forth and have a blissful weekend... SuzyB, who should never have gotten out of bed this morning. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 14:07:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: Radio update and other useless stuff Ok, here goes.... 04/24: Played "Destination Moon" on WTSR 05/01: Not sure just yet. The new board of directors take the reigns on 5/1, so I am looking for a song that would welcome them in. 05/08: Last show of the semester; playing "Birdhouse in Your Soul" as a lead in to the "Best of the Semester Spring '96" The name game: Craig: see Rasputin's message (I even forgot what it meant) Andrew: Have no idea Whyte: outdated from of "white" To the man in Oregon with the PoDAS tapes: If I send you a 100-min tape, can I still get the recording? Top 3 bands besides TMBG that I like: 1. Sugar 2. Mighty Mighty Bosstones 3. 311 Thats all for know, TMBG fans and accounting majors unite! (wait... there's only 2 of us! ACK!!!) Craig ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:41:38 -0500 (CDT) From: jenny Subject: Hootie? I think not. Sarcasm, folks. The Johns have a fine sense of humor, that's all. However, I feel that as a group, we must assasinate Hootie, and seize control of the Blowfish. -jenny, which means "donkey." hee haw. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:43:41 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Fingertips: The Album? On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > "Come on, on > And wreck my car, uh > Come on, on > And wreck my car . . ." > > Ben or Been here. That part of "Fingertips" would make a great chorus to > a TMBG song, I thought this morning while listening to it. It would be > somewhere along the lines of "AKA Driver" I imagine. I used that fingertip for a "auto insurance" commercial I was doing for a "fun project".... ;) --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 14:45:36 +0000 Subject: Fav bands... Ok I went along with the whole name thing so I figured that I'd go a long with the Fave bands(other then TMBG of course) thing.... 1. Enya: there is nothing better to calm you down, or to study to (except for some of the classics) and she' also reallyy cool to listen to when you've had something like 10,000 times the recomended daily intake of sugar, because you start to feel like you're living in a Salvador Dali painting, like the Relentlessness of Sugar... 2. Tori Amos: all around cool music. Not only does she sing really well (and I do mean sing, not rant or grumble into a microphone like many bands today seem to get away with doing), but she can play some kicking tunes on the piano, harpsicord, etc.. 3. Ska and similar music where they use brass and or woodwind sections.. esp: Dave Mathews Band, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and Blackhappy (before they broke up). I listen to this more for the instrumentation then for the vocals, although many of the bands have some very good lyrics. and because it needs to be added... 4. classical music, specifically the hard stuff such as 'Mars Bringer of War', 'The Toccata and Fuge in D minor', and 'Night on Bald Mountain'. well that's it for now.. until next time.... Wilbz, the wonderful wacky wierdo Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ CoolTalk: TANIS@chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:02:36 -0400 Subject: Re: Hootie? I think not. In a message dated 96-04-26 14:55:59 EDT, jek4911@tam2000.tamu.edu (jenny) writes: > >Sarcasm, folks. The Johns have a fine sense of humor, that's all. >However, I feel that as a group, we must assasinate Hootie, and seize >control of the Blowfish. > no, no, you've got it all wrong, we must assassinate the Blowfish and seize control of the Hootie (wait, that just sounds sick) >-jenny, which means "donkey." hee haw. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:29:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Opening for Hootie To all those who think that Flans was joking when he said They were opening for Hootie, I'm afraid I can't agree. He sounded quite serious...I mean he didn't sound like he has kidding. Lord knows I'd like to think he was just pulling the interviewers leg, but somehow I don't buy that. If it is true, shouldn't it be the otherway around...Hootie opening for TMBG?? Or maybe, Hootie shouldn't be allowed in the vicinity of a TMBG performance? Yes, that sounds like a better plan! Anyway, I can't be sure if he was joking or not, but to me it sounded like he wasn't. I guess we'll find out for sure when it either happens or not! Um, that's it. Alex, who is listening to the Walrus of Love - Barry White...Oh baby. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:51:00 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" > OK, there's this section in The Stanford Daily that comes out weekly. It's > called Intermission, and it's an arts/entertainment/stuph insert. Anyway, > this week's happens to have a cover story on Frank Black, Duke of Earl and > TMBG opener extraordinaire. He doesn't mention Them. > > But, inside, there's a review of the new Barenaked Ladies album, _Born on > a pirate ship_. It got 4 records out of five, and in it the reviewer says > (and I quote): > > "Essentially, they sound like They Might Be Giants with an attention > span." > > Discuss. ok. i don't think i like that critic, because he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. the only similar things about the 2 bands is that both bands are really funny on stage, give great concerts, and have really nice fans. Barenaked Ladies. hmm. it's actually very hard to describe them. i guess it's just a bunch of guys who are neither Barenaked, nor Ladies, yet have amazing musical prowess and are really really funny. the music is great (if you haven't checked them out yet, get their 1st album GORDON immediately, if not sooner. they have 3 albums + a cdmaxisingle/enhanced cd-rom thingy). > BTW, I know this isn't exactly TMBG related, but I have a feeling several > TBG fans are Muppets fans, too. ABC has put "Muppets Tonite" on hiatus! =( > I'm planning on writing a letter to ABC; I'd urge anyone else who loves > the Muppets to do the same thing. Was anyone else watching Muppets Tonite? arrrr. that angers me. ABC will pay for their effrontery on my person. > The Bearnaked ladies Barenaked, dearie. Barenaked. > ...For months I was under the impression that in A Self Called Nowhere > contained the lyrics "it's a thing named 'Id' in a bottomless pit, you can't > see it there," (as in the Id, ego, superego) until one fateful afternoon when > my brother informed me it was "a thing named 'it' in a bottomless pit..." > I thought the Id thing worked well with the line and with the song, and > sounded fine to me. It was one of my fav lines from a tmbg song, and I'm now > slightly disheartened. Don't ask me why. Maybe cause I felt foolish? > Anyone make this mistake? Could it be possible THEY do utter Id, maybe once? i would keep on saying "ID" i still say "DANIEL sing bass" (but then again i've often been reprimanded for living in my own little world too much) > Flans: "Uhhh, well, we'll be on the road, we'll probably be > touring...we'll definitely be touring in the Fall...we're opening for Hootie > And The Blowfish on a stadium tour..." ok. first i panicked and started to curse. then i came to an epiphany. i need to name my dog (when i get one) "epiphany". that, and the fact that there still is a chance for the masses to actually be redeemed. if anyone is wondering why i'm putting Hootie down, it's not because i absolutely hate them (in reality i'm completely indifferent to their music, it sounds the same to me) but because my brother is a Hootie fan and hopefully TMBG will save his soul. may the force be with you daniel jedi-dan@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:53:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Favorite Bands I wonder if any of you know that you are posting your 3 favorite bands other than TMBG because I am conducting a survey, not because it's a thread??? It would kinda be helpful if you sent them to me directly, and preferably the only contents of the message would be the bands. This all goes to show that you all just follow the masses! Damn you!!!! Or something... PS. I have been up for 30 hours straight now, drove 30 minutes to school and will drive 30 minutes back, and.... I HAVE DONE IT ALL WITHOUT CAFFEINE!!!! How does he do it? Muahahahaha... It's all very simple. You see, I know the secrets of life. Ryan (meaning "Little King" I think) Staib (meaning "Tinsmith" or something in German) (I'm still up. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:02:22 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: Names I understood the discussion to be object related, but since it's diverged, I'll share. Cynthia: of Greek origin--having something to do with the moon Diane: of Roman origin--Diana, goddess of the moon (I'm sensing a pattern here. Maybe I should just change my middle name to "ditto.") Batson: Bat--what Dracula turns into, or that wooden baseball thing:) Son--male child or (sun) "a middle-sized star!!!" Cyndi -----> cyn@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:34:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Yeesh. Boy. All this beating on Hootie. Just so you all know - I kinda like them. The music is very happy-sounding, and I enjoy it a lot. It makes me want to smile. Not as much as TMBG, but it isn't totally bad music just because it's popular. In fact, my kid brother's favorite thing to listen to is apollo 18 (stolen from me, grumpgrumpgrump) and hootie cds set on shuffle so they alternate. It's actually kinda good. Flame away - I'll delete it anyway. :) Later, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Butrose17@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:41:38 -0400 Subject: The real # for Q101 I'm sorry, but I gave the wrong area code out yesterday. The real area code is 312. Anyone in the Chicago area, be listening, I'm going to try to get on the air, so if you hear a goofy sounding guy who's name is Jordan, then you'll know it's me. Thanx again, sorry for the wrong # and all, and I hope to see everyone out there who likes TMBG to vote! Jordan ------------------------------ From: Butrose17@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:50:18 -0400 Subject: CALL Q101 AT 8:30 CENTRAL TIME TONIGHT AND VOTE FOR TMBG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a little reminder to all you fans out there, the number is (312)591-8300. TMBG fans unite! Rock the vote! Show everyone what us TMBG fans are made of! VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!! That would be great if you voted. did you remember to vote? don't forget! thanx, Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:44:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: I want The Power of Grayskull--er, Dial-A-Song PLEASE HELP SOON!!! I want--no, NEED--the Power of Dial-A-Song tape. Would anyone out there be willing to work with me in filling my void? I could easily send you a tape, the appropriate postage, and a mailing envelope--so all you'd basically have to do is record it for me and send it off!!! It would be doubly great if you have the 1985 demo tape, because the copy I received from a friend lacked the complete song of "They Might Be Giants" and anything else that is on the tape (if anything) after that song. But I don't *need* that song, and if you don't have the demo, I DON'T CARE!!! I just want POWER--The Power that comes with Dial-A-Song! ********************** As for Ben's Dial-A-Song, today it got a friendly visit from New Zealand!!! First Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and now New Zealand!!! (614) 823-BLUE now featuring a German version of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" (the dut dut du dut song) as sung by Peter Behrens and it's called: "Dep Dep D"o Dep" Hope you like! Ben or Been (I want the Power of Dial-A-Song so others can hear it on *my* Dial-A-Song!!!) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:53:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Rubaiyat Who-be-at? Ben or Been here. Does anyone have the _Rubaiyat: Elektra's 40th Anniversary_ album? Any good? Easy to obtain? I had never heard of it until I checked the awesome, all-eight-thumbs-up Chaffer and Bicknell Unofficial TMBG pages. Take a lookee! *** TMBG's coming to the Newport in Columbus May 16th!!! WOOHOO!!! Lulu, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 17:10:50 -0400 Subject: Q101/3 nites in a row/TMBG Well, TMBG won for a third nite on the cagematch on Q101 (chicago radio, alternative) so anyone interested, the cage match is on everynite between 820-830 about cst pm call in and vote (847) 591-8300 ok? make sure you ask whose playing in case you call after (impossibly) the lose (aka) kurt ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 17:19:48 -0400 Subject: The whole Number and Q101 thing To all those who are perplexed with the confusion (847)591-8300 (708)591-8300 (312)591-8300 are all the same (due to a code split and a bunch of wierd stuff) so no matter the area code, lets unite and call in! (aka) kurt ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 14:25:15 -0700 From: Spudster Subject: Favorite Bands 1. Frank Black 2. Sarah McLaughlin 3. Enya -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Rubaiyat Who-be-at? Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:28:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Benjamin Hauck: >Does anyone have the _Rubaiyat: Elektra's 40th Anniversary_ album? Any >good? Easy to obtain? Our local public library has a copy. It's a two disc set. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:26:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: anagrams and other crazy stuff This whole wacky name business reminded me of this anagram generator I found once somewhere on the Web. Has anybody else tried that thing out? One of the anagrams that came up for my name was "Wry Bean Eternal." I think another one was "Brawl Any Entree." One of my friends typed her name in and almost every anagram the computer came up with contained some sort of obscenity. Some had, um, several. Some even mentioned Hades *and* several obscenities. It was pretty freaky. :) I tried coming up with anagrams using my very own actual brain once (rather than the computer), but it didn't work very well. The process of creating anagrams, I mean. Not my brain. :) I think in one of the Info Club newsletters a while back, there was a little column by Linnell where he came up with anagrams for all the band members' names...it was pretty cool. One of them for "They Might Be Giants" was "The Big Steamy Thing." Oh, and to Chris the Oklahoma guy: Try getting your local music store to special order Back to Skull. Most places'll do that, I think. That's the only time any of the singles pop up around here (I live in Lincoln, NE)--when someone special orders 'em and they put a couple extra copies on the shelf. Worth a try, anyway. Or maybe you've already tried that and I'm just insulting your intelligence, in which case I heartily apologize. :) Anyway, good luck. Well, I'm off to class... --Tara (Wry Bean Eternal) P.S. About this dream thread: Yeah, well I had the strangest dream. I dreamed I killed you again. :) (I was just itching to say that...) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 18:06:36 -0400 Subject: Re: anagrams and other crazy stuff In a message dated 96-04-26 17:38:12 EDT, one of those Taras (the evil one?) wrote: >This whole wacky name business reminded me of this anagram generator I >found once somewhere on the Web. Has anybody else tried that thing out? >One of the anagrams that came up for my name was "Wry Bean Eternal." I >think another one was "Brawl Any Entree." One of my friends typed her >name in and almost every anagram the computer came up with contained some >sort of obscenity. Some had, um, several. Some even mentioned Hades >*and* several obscenities. It was pretty freaky. :) I tried coming up >with anagrams using my very own actual brain once (rather than the >computer), but it didn't work very well. The process of creating >anagrams, I mean. Not my brain. :) I think in one of the Info Club >newsletters a while back, there was a little column by Linnell where he >came up with anagrams for all the band members' names...it was pretty >cool. One of them for "They Might Be Giants" was "The Big Steamy >Thing." This is kinda funny because at the bottom of my tmbg page I've got a form that I sorta stole from those people and it's already got "They Might Might Be Giants" in the box and all you have to is click the little "Make Giant Anagram" button... on the maximum number of words setting (which is seven) there's over 300 anagrams... I added that to my page because of that Info Club newsletter... if anybody wants to check this out it's at my Giants page: http://www.dragonfire.net/~Ruprecht/HallOfHeads/ Have fun ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 18:25:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Hootie and the disciples of evil As much as I love TMBG I don't know if I could bring myself to go to a Hootie show just to see Them...the tickets would be too expensive, I'd never get close enough to the stage...seeing TMBG in a stadium would kind of bum me out especially when to the majority of the crowd TMBG are just some sort of cute joke. And to add insult to injury as an opening act they would probably only get 30-40 minutes or so...no, as a die hard fan I would be depressed to witness this. For me and all of you, I'm sure, a TMBG show is about total TMBG appreciation, in a total TMBG context (which is why I loved the no opening act at E-town). I guess the only artist who I wouldn't mind seeing opening for Them (out of those who would do it) would be Brian Dewan. Or Frank Black. And when you listen to the CFNY interview, as I did, you'll hear Flans' voice very seriously discussing this Hootie thing. He said it as if he could not believe it. I don't think it's a gag. I do remember saying at the time, "Holy shit!" I think that says it all. Mike, awake but still in bed ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 18:42:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Flaming hillbilly colour The best anagram so far of my name, Michael Rose, is "heroic meals." Just how great does dinner have to be before you can consider it heroic...? Bye. Miracle hose http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex a new story coming sometime tomorrow ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: TMBG on CFNY 102.1FM Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 17:48:55 -0500 (EST) > > > HE'S JOKING, OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > HE MUST BE JOKING. THERE IS NO OTHER POSSIBILITY. > > Actually, in rereading it, the whole things sounds like a rather twisted joke, yet with disturbing elements of plausibility to it. Time will tell... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:04:02 -0700 From: Jantsch@ix.netcom.com (Bert Jantsch) Subject: I'm quitting for now Hi guys I'm quitting the list for a while. Too much mail. Seeya'lllater JaN+sChMAn ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 19:32:13 -0400 Subject: Tomorrow's Edison Lab thing-y. If anyone needs directions to the Edison Lab, I finally have them. E-mail me tonight or _very_ early tomorrow morning, and I will get back to you ASAP. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 19:44:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Susan Lyon Subject: Re: Rubaiyat Who-be-at? yeah! i bought it a long time ago for some reason that still escapes me, but i like it more every time i listen to it! i love the cure's "hello i love you won't you tell me your name" and "motorcycle mama" by the sugarcubes (i think) and of course "one more parade" by tmbg. that song is my little brother's only exposure to them (i know, i've been lax in bringing him up :) and he totally loves it! he's a smart kid! i have no clue how hard it is to get...i got it when it first came out. i bet it's worth the search, tho. hugs...susan o- <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> <*> my other brain is also a porsche <*> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> <*> the.statue@tmbg.org <*> mozzer@umich.edu <*> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 20:12:55 -0400 Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil > As much as I love TMBG I don't know if I could bring myself to go >to a Hootie show just to see Them...the tickets would be too expensive, >I'd never get close enough to the stage...seeing TMBG in a stadium would >kind of bum me out especially when to the majority of the crowd TMBG are >just some sort of cute joke. And to add insult to injury as an opening >act they would probably only get 30-40 minutes or so... I agree 100%! I actually don't mind Hootie all that much, and I probably couldn't stay away if TMBG played anywhere near me, but after seeing them so up close and personal at the Mercury Lounge, I'm pretty spoiled. And I don't think They should have to open for _anyone_, unless it's someone they truly admire, in which case it should be more of a double bill anyway--giving TMBG only 30-40 min. is an absolute crime! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 12:45:54 +1200 From: blue.canary@tmbg.org (sam JOHN pearson.) Subject: name thing & Ben's Dial a song On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 14:47:39 -0400 (EDT) Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 wrote: > mike: mic, microphone. > rose: a lovely flower. also, past tense of rise. How about: *Samuel - means 'heard by God' in Hebrew or something. Pity I'm not religous, so don't talk to him/her/whatever. Imagine what I could ask? How about:---> will Superfueled Freaksicicle ever come out? or ---> Will "At Large" (or whatever it will be) really come out in Oct? *John - I think you already know this one. *Pearson - ??? (Descended from fruit?) I called Been or Ben's Dial-a-Song last night and got some cool quirky song sung in German. I know the tune but just can't put a name to it. Go and ring now. It's good. see ya, blue.canary *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ sjp6@tmbg.org blue.canary@tmbg.org sjp6@waikato.ac.nz ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 20:52:42 -0400 Subject: Fwd: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-117 For all of you who don't know by now............ --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-117 Date: 96-04-26 20:51:25 EDT From: KTUCKER3 To: houckbe@litoria.math.earlham.edu Q101 is in Chicago, IL. I don't listen to it because it plays the same "alternative" bands over and over (Pearl Jam, STP, Green Day, Collective Soul, etc). tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 21:11:37 -0400 Subject: things Hey guys, can I ask everybody a favor? I get A LOT of mail from this list, and from friends, and it would be great if people could try to put messages together instead of writing four, all on different subjects. I love this list, and even if people don't do this, I will still stay on, but I would really appreciate it if people could at least try. Thanks. :) tucker P.S. You never know what you'll find in your letterbox tomorrow! I should have said that yesterday b/c today, I look inside and I find something from TMB Productions. YES! It was the skull shirt that I used to have before someone stole it, so I just HAD to get it again. I think that I'll just HAVE to wear it to my track meet tomorrow. (Everybody wish me luck--I'm in 4 events (most you can do)--throwing the discus, the 800 Medley relay, the 800 Relay, and the Throwers relay. Of course, they all happen within 10 seconds of each other, but that's okay..................) ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 21:41:18 -0400 Subject: SS song on Q101 (chicago) S. Shape rocks! I finally broke down and listened to this poser station. It's nothing like what Q101 usually plays and I've never heard them play ANY TMBG. Posers! Okay........sorry. The challeger is Fred Scheneider (formerly of the B-52's). Hmm......I wonder who will win??? CALL IN (if you can). Well, I'm leaving to go out with friends now. :) tucker ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 21:37:07 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: http://www.quest.net/performance/toursearch?name=they+might+be+giants Hey everybody, check out this address, it has TMBG tour dates and some other info... I just found it after looking at that tmbg internet directory... ------------------------------ From: NyQuil71@aol.com Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 00:23:40 -0400 Subject: concert does anyone know how to get tickets for the tmbg concert in chicago next month?? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 01:29:49 -0400 From: Tom Sullivan Subject: TMBG & Hootie. Well, I won't try to sway anyone's opinions on Hootie. But I was going to be seeing them this summer anyway, if TMBG is playing as well, all the more better for me. I know people don't like Hootie, but it doesn't matter.. However, those of you that say it is a "disgrace" for TMBG to play for 30-40 minutes; Yes, it is. But you must remember, not everyone has seen them in concert. I saw them back in December when they played for a local radio station's Christmas show. Being that there were six other bands on the bill, all bands were limited to about six songs. I 'only' saw them play some of their bigger songs, like Istabul, WDTSS, Twisting, Birdhouse, The Guitar, and one or two others.. That was a great experience for me, though. Take what you can get.. :) If TMBG got on stage and played Istanbul, I would be happy if I was there to see it. I kind of ranted, but I hope you got my point.. :) --- -- - Tom Sullivan of Jonas e'Zine (edi@cybercomm.net) http://www.cybercomm.net/~edi/homepage.html --- -- - ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-118 ******************************