Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-119 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 119 Sunday, 28 April 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Names Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-118 Re: things Re: Names Re: anagrams and other crazy stuff John Henry Tour 4Nites in a Row/Q101 more anagram mania! and other stuff More TMBG links The Evil One Re: 4Nites in a Row/Q101 Re: Fingertips covers :) Hootie & the Blowfish Re: Radio update and other useless stuff New database. Edison and TMBG!!!! They Might Be Giants @ Edison Laboratories!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello. Pogues Re: Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 03:51:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Kaiser Sozhay Subject: Re: Names I've held out from this discussion long enough (due to a rather embarassing last name), but here goes: ERIK--Ruler in some Nordic Language SHMUKLER--Yes, it is pronounced how it looks. The German spelling Schmuckler is where the slang term for certain portions of male anatomy comes from. The Russian spelling (SHMUKLER) actually means "jewler" which I guess doesn't do much for the slang term after all. I really don't know how I ended up with the Russian last name since my background is Rusian, Polish and Austrian (quite a lot of persecution going on in my family tree). Erik ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 06:15:06 -0500 (EST) From: echobenny Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-118 I'm a bit saddened by all the posts that feel the TMBG will actually be opening for Hootie (who I actually had the misfortune to see at a club I was at...they spontaniously showed up all drunk and tried to be "alternative" for a while)...umm...I believe that about asmuch as I believe that Graham Maby will be replaced by Ron Wood...Brian Doherty's place on drums will now be filled by Charlie Wyman...I have met Flans....he's a funny guy...he's also really strange...I met him backstage at a show in Brooklyn and he told me the history of autograph's he has gotten...two, Joan Jett and Flav-a-flav...'nuff said Ben *------------------------------------------------------------ "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told you can only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like, be like yourself." -- They Might Be Giants "Where do correct ideas come from? Do they drop from the sky? Are they inate in the mind? They come from social practice and from it alone." -- The Scene Is Now Ben Houck--Houckbe@math.earlham.edu--Hangs in the air the way most bricks don't. ___________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 12:33:09 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: things On Fri, 26 Apr 1996 KTUCKER3@aol.com wrote: > Hey guys, can I ask everybody a favor? I get A LOT of mail from this > list, and from friends, and it would be great if people could try to put > messages together instead of writing four, all on different subjects. I love > this list, and even if people don't do this, I will still stay on, but I > would really appreciate it if people could at least try. Thanks. :) > tucker I guess this must be meant as a joke, since you just sent three messages to the list, one after the other. At least I _hope_ it was meant as a joke. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 08:22:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Names On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Kaiser Sozhay wrote: > I really don't know how I ended up with the Russian last name since my > background is Rusian, Polish and Austrian (quite a lot of persecution > going on in my family tree). Another Russian on the list...cool, I'm not alone. Neither my first nor last name have anything to do with a real object, but as many of you have pointed out, every name has somesort of meaning: Alex - Helper of man (that doesn't mean you can all start asking me for free stuff!) Gershon - Your guess is as good as mine. (That's not what the name means, but wouldn't that be cool?) Actually, and this is probably the only time I have told this to such a large group, my name isn't really Alex...it's Sasha, which means the same as Alex. I decided to change my name to Alex after about 2 years in Canada, but some of my closer friends still call me Sasha...please feel free to do the same, since I consider you all as some of my closest friends. Alex...um...Sasha...um...Fritz... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 08:20:28 -0500 From: Adam Procter Subject: Re: anagrams and other crazy stuff Anagrams for They Might Be Giants: Absent gym thigh tie! Megabyte this thing! Bite my highest gnat! Bite my gash, get thin! Gas by him... get the tin! Bite me, shy, tight nag! Hey, Tibet smith gang! Hey, bag his gem stint! Bathe this, my egg tin! Bee thighs: Gym Titan? Taste my binge thigh! Eighth testy big man! The Mighty Gin Beast! Beth hit a stingy gem! My big gas hit the 'Net! Hint: Site the gym bag! Beat in thy egg smith! I bash it, my tenth egg! Hee hee... that's all for now. Got these from: http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~eburke/anagrams.html -- Adam Procter aprocter@mail.coin.missouri.edu http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4386/ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: John Henry Tour Date: Sat, 27 Apr 96 9:51:52 18000 Sheesh.... i was just wondering if anyone happened to have all the tourdates for the ('94?) John Henry album tour........ -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- P.S. This is just starting, haven't got any designs yet! :( ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 10:29:59 -0400 Subject: 4Nites in a Row/Q101 First of all all you critizing chicagoians name one chicage station better than q101 (rock 103.5, i think not) anyway They won for a 4th nite theyll take on stabbing the ghouls or something queer like that be sure to call in on monday (aka) kurt ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 10:30:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: more anagram mania! and other stuff I just went to that anagram page, and it was neat-o! There were 460 pages of anagrams for my name, and 207 pages for Waffle House! Some of the ones that were listed for my name: your a bald amend, a redound by alma, raoul daybed man, and damn a yule board! heeh heeh heeh. :) My two cents on the Hootie fiasco: come on guys, just think a minute. They and Hootie play together? How realistic does that sound? That sounds about as believable as Superchunk opening up for Alanis Morrisette. Of course, he had to be joking. On another note, is Flansburgh really planning on getting betrothed, or does it seem he was joking about that too??? If so, we better begin making plans on how we are going to crash his wedding. God forbid we're not invited, all five hundred of us. ;) goodbye for now, A beady mold urn (that one was my favorite!) KosherBacon@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 13:06:11 -0400 Subject: More TMBG links Hello everyone (yet again) I asked about 2 months ago, so i thought Id ask again. I have a home page that is solely tmbg links. Could anyone who has and urls (of your own) that are related to TMBG in any way send them to me? They will be posted on this page prompty. If you want to use this page, it is http://members.aol.com/kaacoolguy/tmbg/cowtown.html ok? thanks, (aka) kurt ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 12:58:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: The Evil One >one of those Taras (the evil one?) wrote: So I'm the evil one, eh??! WOO-HOO! :) --Tara, The Evil One. (Ya see, Matt, now I really _am_ infamous. ;) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:39:31 -0500 (CDT) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: 4Nites in a Row/Q101 > First of all > > all you critizing chicagoians > name one chicage station better than q101 > (rock 103.5, i think not) 93XRT ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 16:45:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Fingertips covers :) Hi all. Perhaps Talking Heads would do "Catching On Fire" better, but unfortunately, they're broken up. I tried to use bands that are still together, or at least not OFFICIALLY broken up. I'm sure that David Byrne would do just as nice a job solo as he would with the T-Heads. Also, my friend Dave came up with another good one. He thinks that Devo should do "I Don't Understand You." It may not seem so great, but if you hear it, it's perfect. We went around all day Thursday singing the Devo version. Well, I just wanted to keep you informed. Toodles! --Jack, who is getting an accordian for his birthday. http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn John@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 16:12:54 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (the PiXie King) Subject: Hootie & the Blowfish Alright, haven't we bashed hootie enough? And why would you guys think that J & J wouldn't open for hootie? I don't know if either of them like the band, but I do know that Flansburgh likes Green Day, and I know all of your opinions on them! I guess it's just the 'cool' thing to dis Hootie...oh well. This is an amazing step for they might be giants, opening for such a popular band, as someone else pointed out, this could be a great way to expose themselves to new fans. Especially if this new album is substantially better than John Henry, it could outdistance Flood with the right marketing, and this Hootie tour. I'd go see a Hootie\TmBg ticket anyday. Oh, and what do people think of having a 'Pearl' song around? I can't wait to hear it, I only hope that it lives up to the face, the name, and the legacy...and it better be a whole hell of a lot better than Snail Shell! How did TmBg do last night in the contest? When I tried calling the phone just rang forever, no one picked up. http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ Nathan Todd/aka Linnel ntodd@emba.uvm.edu mammal@tmbg.org ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ "someTimes i feel like being wispy, and once in a while i feel like being dry" "everyThing is gonna burn, we'll all Take Turns, i'll get mine Too" the PiXies\They Might be GIANTs ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 16:48:21 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: Radio update and other useless stuff On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Pudge wrote: > Thats all for know, TMBG fans and accounting majors unite! (wait... > there's only 2 of us! ACK!!!) Make that 3! I just happen to be both, too! =) Kylee BTW, you can now email me at she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org !!! ****************************** \ / ( * Kylee Kay Dickey * ) ( \ ) * 00083933@bigred.unl.edu * / ) ) ( * she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org* ( ( ( ) * Height: 5'3":I'm the LWFAP * ______________________ ****************************** ` '_ * "When creatures are that * \ TWIN PEAKS / \ * little, maybe God doesn't * \ SHERRIFF'S DEPT. / ] * bother to govern them, but * l _l___/ * just lets them run wild." * \__ ___/ * -from a student essay * /________\ * in my English book * ****************************** "If you say drink coffee, kylee@tmbg.org I'll drink coffee." -Agent Cooper =) SMILE! =) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: New database. Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:43:31 -0400 (EDT) Having found out that my methods for keeping up with aliases on tmbg.org are too labor intensive I've written a new database program. Before I start using it I would like some people to test it out and give me some feed back on the interface, or try and find bugs. If you want to do some testing try out http://www.tmbg.org/htbin/database.pl. Any information you enter will just be thrown away later, this is for testing only. Feel free to expieriment. Let me know if you find any bugs, or have a suggestion on how to improve the interface. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: promans@sloth.loyola.edu (Phil Romans) Subject: Edison and TMBG!!!! Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 22:42:20 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, Matt James and I traveled up 3.5 hours and 250 miles to see the greatest time at Edison museum/labs. There we were treated to front row seats at the 12:30 and 2:00 showings of recordings on wax cylinders. They played three songs each time, two of which were new stuff which queit possibly will be on the new ablumn in the fall! Thats right, a new ablumn confirmed by thier manager Jamie. (more on that one later) After the first session, Matt and I stood around talking with Grahm and the Tuba player. The tuba guy (Jon?) says he is in a band with Curt Hoffmann now called Pulling Weeds.(?) Really cool... Grahmn had his 4 year old daughter there. (sporting new purple Gap shoes mind ya) Anyhow, I got Brian's autograph along with Grahms, the tuba guy, and Eric the guitarist. (lacking any last names right now) Finding out that we needed a second set of tickets for the 2:00 show, we got back and were talking with Courntey (HI!). The manger guy comes up and asks how we found out about the gig and we say, email of course! So he starts asking questions and telling us about things the band has done. And Courtney asks, so... what are the possiblities of getting the John's autographs? Jamie says, pretty good. Which leads to, I can get them for ya right now... so we hand over all out pieces of paper with all the other autographs on them and come back with Flanns and Linnels!!! Flans has a funky circle head with glasses, teeth and a hat. Linnell is just John L. Nice.... The second session starts and I am sitting 3-4 feet away from Flans and the recording device. Deffently cool. The guys have to play into these large cones that push a diaphram which carves on the wax cylindar and makes the recording. After about 1.5 minutes of song, they cool the wax down and play it back. Supposly it is great with the electrontic device but the one they had there was kinda poor. One song was called The Edison Museum, which they handed out the verses to. And I got the guy who guest singing it to song on the extra verse that was not used. Another song used was James K. Polk. As for the third, no clue right now and I am sure the others there will fill ya in. But for the killer story of the entire day. Jamie was talking to us about concerts and such. (Be sure to go to the FREE CONCERT ON JUNE 7TH! Fairfax country fair VA!!!) And he says, so where you all from and we say Baltimore and Philly. Which to he asks, anyone want to intern with the managment corpation for this summer? WOW... I was just asked to work for the managment of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!! Too bad I will be in New Mexico all summer... =) any questions pertaining the rest of the day, I will be happy to answer. That is as soon as I get some sleep from 7 hours of driving 400 miles. cheers! -=phil -- ._________________________________________________________________. I |promans@sloth.loyola.edu | http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans | W | U2-They Might Be Giants-Pink Floyd-Rush | G | looking for any 'live' material of these bands | B | Magic: The Addiction | T \-----------------------------------------------------------------/ P -=The mountains are calling and I must go. (John Muir)=- ! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 23:23:25 -0400 From: Joe Turner Subject: HOOTIE RULES.....NOT please if they do open, i beg of you...don't go don't encourage them. actually you could go, and heckle the hootie-ites as they drift like zombies into the show... =========================================================== == is it bright in in here, or am i just badly lit? == == -jackie == == (patsy's sister on AB FAB) == =========================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 23:19:51 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: They Might Be Giants @ Edison Laboratories!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi everyone! It's cortney, how are ya? I just had *the* best day of my TMBG life! Haha, I went to see Them at the Edison Wax Recording Sessions today in West Orange, NJ. My friend Doug and I went to two of the sessions: one at 12:30 and another at 2:00. Well, the show itself was absolutely awesome! We were sitting in the front row, probably about 40-50 people total in the audience! During the first session, They recorded three songs, "I Can Hear You," "James K. Polk," and "the Edison Museum" (which had Nick Hill on vocals). They recorded each song onto wax cylinders, which were actually made by Thomas Alva Edison! And, in between recording songs, They were open for a little quesion and answer session! Well, after the first session, I got the autographs of Brian, Graham, and Eric, who had been hanging around outside, but unfortuantely, the John's were nowhere to be found. Well, I was hanging around and talking to Doug, Matt, and Phil (TMBG listers), when Their band manager came up to us and asked us how we knew about the show. THEN we started rambling on and on about the wonderful mailing list, etc...and THEN the manager asked the four of us if we would be interested in an internship!!!!! Wow, working with TMBG for the summer, I could definitely handle that! (unfortunately, my schedule could not...) Then, of course, we started to gossip about the band. And it is here that I would like to lay a rumor to rest. We asked him if TMBG was *really* going to open for Hootie and the Blowfish. Answer: No. They *were* asked if They would be interested in opening for Hootie, but They refused. (although Elektra *wanted* Them to go for it...to boost popularity and therefore record sales!) He also told us that yesterday They confirmed a date (June 7) at an outdoor festival in Virginia, very cool! THEN, I got an idea...I asked him: "What do you think the chances are of getting John Linnel and John Flansburgh's autographs?" Answer: "Very good actually! I'll go in and have Them sign your stuff right now!" AND, it turned out that my friend Doug had gotten me a birthday card, and he also handed that in to get autographed! So, I am now the proud owner of a lyric sheet AND A BIRTHDAY CARD, both autographed by all the members of They Might Be Giants!!! We then went in for the second show, which was just as good as the first! I even got to ask the John's a question: What made Them decide to do the wax recordings, etc?" (which, by the way, according to the manager, will probably end up on Their new album!) And HERE is the highlight of my entire trip! After the show, we were under the impression that They were going to hang around, so we decided to leave, since we had no idea where They were. However, as we were on the way to the parking lot, we spotted Their car, and we just had to wait to see if They would come out! We were definitely not disappointed! John and John came out, and gladly agreed to sign an album cover for me! Here's the funny part: my pen didn't work!!!! The ultimate irony! I *finally* get to meet Them in PERSON, and my pen is dead!!!!! We finally got it working though, and John and John both graced my CD cover with Their sigs!! In person!!!! They also asked where we were from, told us that They were going back to New York (which was about 1/2 hour trip), thanked us for coming out to the show, etc...and then finally it was time to wish Them farewell. I told Them to have a safe trip, and we happily walked away! And, later down the road, as They drove by me on Their way home, They waved good-bye... There you have it! This was probably the most exciting day I've had in a year! In 5 years! In forever! I'm sorry that this post is so so long, but I just had to share my TMBG euphoria with you all! My birthday isn't until Wednesday, but already I can say that this was the best birthday of my life! sun and smiles love cortney ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 23:11:48 -0700 From: Joshua Roe Subject: Hello. Well, I just subscribed to the list, and I would like to know if anyone else has noticed that one of the writers for the cartoon show 'Tiny Toons' must like the band? I was first introduced to They when they put animated music videos of the songs 'Istanbul' and 'Particle Man' on. I also noticed a reference to 'Why Does the Sun Shine?' in the dialogue as well. I just thought I'd throw that in. ------------------------------ From: "Jessee Young" Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 01:42:00 +0000 Subject: Pogues > I just thought of something. It'd be cool to see TMBG cover Bottle > of Smoke by the Pogues. Linnell doin the accordian, Flans shouting > out 20 f***ing 5 to one Me gambling days are done I bet on a horse > called the Bottle of Smoke And my horse won! Matt -- Yeah, that would be pretty cool. I have always fantasized about Them doing House of the Gods. I also would love to hear Them play Jesse James. If you are looking for some connection between the two bands, I can tell you that I have attempted to play songs by both on accordion. >Wow....one that has actually heard of the Pogues. Didn't think those >people existed. We are everywhere. It just doesn't come out too much in conversation. ;-) BTW, Pogues songs are easier to play. Jessee Young jeyoung3@vt.edu All spelling errors intentional. "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 23:00:27 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: >On the song "Someone keeps moving my chair", in the chorus, what are the >words inserted between 'my' and 'chair'??? Is there something there or >are the Johns just adding musical syllables? Hmm.. I always thought it was "My Arm Chair," but, of course, I STILL don't own a bought copy of Flood yet.. still depending on an awful copy of a tape, made about 2 years ago. Hehehe.. I'd like to see how many people think I'm not a true fan. That'd be interesting. :) The Almighty Cowgod "You've got a Methodist Coloring Book, and you color really well, but don't color outside the lines, or God will send you to Hell, 'cause God hates war, and God hates crime, but He really hates people who color outside the lines." - The Dead Milkmen ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-119 ******************************