Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 12 Friday, 12 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-11 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-11 She's an angel Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-11 I, Like, Like The Idea Jessicration Re: Jessicration Jessicration II: She's been covered and now she's pissed off! Re: Hello. Hello. I don't know why they said goodbye when I called HELLO, ( CD Re: WOW!! Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 07:56:41 -0500 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-11 In a message dated 96-01-11 03:20:49 EST, you write: >Actually, hey did mention it in Philly. I remember, because the only >thing I could think of was that damn video at Blockbuster that never >gets rented with the trombone playing, bearded, I-forget-his-name guy >from Star Trek:TNG. > But I hope it's a joke, cauze the video sucks. > > the giants have a habit of naming things after old movies...don't they? the plaguerat ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:30:45 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-11 Organization: Rollins College To whomever asked about the part in The Guitar before the 'Moo'... I believe it's from a Bugs Bunny cartoon, with Bugs talking gibberish really quickly. He doesn't actually SAY anything to my knowledge. And as thew apparent resident Warner Bros. expert, I would also like to point out that the Skullhead in Where Your Eyes Don't Go could not be a ref to Tiny Toons and Animaniacs... I don't think it was even in TT and Animaniacs is only about 2 years old. Just to clear up some cartoon stuff that I really shouldn't spend so much time knowing... :) Destin see my really cool homepage! honest, it's worth it! http://hound.rollins.edu/personal/~dberthelot/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:24:57 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: She's an angel ya, hey... I was listening to the Pink Album (Blue Dog album, whatever) the other day and I have now come to the conclusion that, hey, this thing is pretty darn good and definately underated. I mean, with the possible exception of the county-fied songs, this record is pretty amazing considering it came out in the mid eighties, a time I think that was overall pretty vapid and without much creative explosions of note. (that is, unless you like "Devo") One song that particularly impressed me was "she's an angel"; as far as quirky love songs go, it's pretty much the shiznit. The bit about the shriners is very TMBGish but I'm not sure if I understand the part about throwing your body off a building. I dunno, anyone know? It's probably an alusion to something I would understand if I didn't live in a cave or something. -I heard they have space program, when they sing you can't hear there's no air- SOn of gOD ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 12:03:25 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-11 > From: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com (Jay Brotz) > Ya know, I ordered some t-shirts out of that darn newsletter last month, > expecting to get them before Christmas (thats what it said on it) and I > haven't gotten them yet. I'm just slightly perturbed. Anyone else see this > happening? YES!!!!! me too. i ordered 3 t-shirts by mail in late october and the check that it was payed for cleared by min november. if it wasn't TMBG i would start not to trust them. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 14:06:48 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: I, Like, Like The Idea Ben or Been here, sadly thinking no one has called Dial-A-Song yet! I will probably be changing my message today to put the original Meat Puppets version of "Whirlpool" on. It is hornless to my reckoning, with an additional stanza that TMBG didn't sing and a much faster tempo. Call me! But the idea I, like, liked was coming up with bands to cover TMBG tunes, plus reasons why so-and-so group should cover the song. Without much thought, here are some ideas: "Ana Ng"--Pantera. Pantera's muscular grunts of lyrics would surely make for an interesting cover, and I'm sure they could quite handle the punchy guitar. I'd kill to see the video with the same choreography. . . "The Statue Got Me High"--Bob Dylan. Hear Bob go nasal in this fast-paced, wailing song in which he could certainly find himself comfortable. "The Guitar"--Suzanne Vega. Hey! This would just serve as a nice collectable for Suzanne Vega fans, because the original version already has a lady who sounds like her. "O Do Not Forsake Me"--Boyz II Men. It'll go straight to number One in one night, of course. TMBG'll get more money then be able to make more albums. Etc. "Boat of Car"--Ween. Take a listen of "Poop Ship Destroyer" or "Candi" and you'll get the idea. Tinny noises. Or they could do it nicely in retro-seventies style. "She's Actual Size"--Leonard Nimoy. If you've ever heard Nimoy sing "Highly Illogical," you'd probably hear why. "She's an Angel"--The Dukes of Stratosphear. I pick the pseudonym of XTC because under that name they've come up with some ingenious, psychedelic sounds that would be a great addition to this favorite track. "She Was a Hotel Detective"--The BeeGees. Perfect, to perform the material that mocked them. "Snail Shell"--Michael Jackson. I wanna hear where he'd insert "Sham-on." "Put Your Hand inside the Puppethead"--The Micromachine Man. Smooth talker who would probably prove more understandable than Flanny. "Particle Man"--Raffi. Boy, he plays a mean bananaphone, and kids would love to hear him get a round of this song goin'. "Birdhouse in Your Soul"--The Presidents of the USA. They have enough songs about little animals, so how 'bout one more. "Dead"--Nine Inch Nails. They need a little boost. "Space Suit"--Yanni. Else pump it into an elevator. "Cabbagetown"--Leon Redbone. He has the charm, the swing, the sway. 'Twould be a fun little ditty. AND "Purple Toupee"--The Flaming Lips. The lead guy would be bound to trip up the lyrics in an artsy sorta way. BONUS TRACK "Don't Let's Start"--Luciano Pavarotti. Wait 'til he gets to "deputy dog dog da ding dang depa depa." Supurb. In your music stores soon, (maybe in before _Freaksicle_), Ben or Been ISGS PS--How 'bout call it: _They Think They Be Giants_ No? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 15:11:26 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Jessicration okay I harped on last year about the song 'Jessica' being the theme to Top Gear, a smoewhat stupid BBC show about cars. Now after exhaustive reasearch (Or too much TV...you pick) I can reveal exclusively for the first time on Network Television, that it is not the They Might Be Giants version of Jessica used as the theme. I know you were all dying to know that. I'm clair...clear...psy...I just know okay?! --Mike __________________________________________________ Never wrestle with a pig...you both get dirty and the pig likes it. ********** Michael Carr --Large cash donations aways accepted. Size no barrier. __________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 20:28:34 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Jessicration On Fri, 12 Jan 1996, Michael Carr wrote: > okay I harped on last year about the song 'Jessica' being the theme to Top > Gear, a smoewhat stupid BBC show about cars. Now after exhaustive reasearch > (Or too much TV...you pick) I can reveal exclusively for the first time on > Network Television, that it is not the They Might Be Giants version of > Jessica used as the theme. > I know you were all dying to know that. I'm clair...clear...psy...I just > know okay?! > As it says in the liner notes of the single, 'Jessica' is a cover. The Allman Bros. originally did that song. Yes, Im wasting your time, you all knew this... so what. john ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 15:35:08 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Jessicration II: She's been covered and now she's pissed off! >> >As it says in the liner notes of the single, 'Jessica' is a cover. The >Allman Bros. originally did that song. Yes, Im wasting your time, you >all knew this... so what. john well yeah, this is true, and yet: how would the nice people at the BBC know? I mean if they were to picik versions of Jessica, they might pikc the TMBG version etc, etc.. waffle blah blah blah rattles on...gives up anyway, let's jusy bomb the BBC and have it over and done with __________________________________________________ Never wrestle with a pig...you both get dirty and the pig likes it. ********** Michael Carr --Large cash donations aways accepted. Size no barrier. __________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Psavage1@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 00:31:24 -0500 Subject: Re: Hello. Hello. I don't know why they said goodbye when I called HELLO, ( CD Bo Orloff wrote: >Marjorie Galen, who runs the business end of Hello, just gave birth to her second >child last week (it's a girl, Ellie Beatrice Kitman, and both mom & baby are doing >fine, in case anyone's wondering), so things are moving a litte slower than usual >around the Hello offices (of course patience is a virtue that will stand you in >good stead when dealing with Hello and TMB Productions at any time). Is that Kitman as in Jamie Lincoln Kitman, TMBG manager extraordinaire? Pat --- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 01:35:25 -0500 (EST) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: WOW!! On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: > on the Conan O'Brian show last night this band called the Skastafarians > was on and the reason why i'm telling you guys about this was that the > song that they played resembles TMBG very much. the horn section was > excellent along with a JF style of playing. they also gave me the jump up > and dance feeling that i get so often with TMBG. i highly reccomend > checking the Skastafarians out. > may the force be with you > daniel > The Skastafarians most recent release was a track on the Skanarchy II disc. The disc is a compilation of ska bands from (mostly) the northeast scene. Actually, I didn't like the Skastafarians track too much, but there are some great bands on the album, my favorites being the Snappers, Lo-Fi Big Band, Skavoovie and the Epitomes, and Johnny Too Bad and the Strikeouts (yes!). -I would imagine that Giant-Heads might really like ska, particulary the structured rhythm and horn-playing. More accessible bands that are really good (I think, anyway) are the Pietasters, Skavoovie and the Epitomes, the Conspiracy, and the soon to be released Spring Heeled Jack. -If you're anywhere in the NY/CT area, I sincerely suggest checking out Lettuce Boy, Lo-Fi Big Band, Johnny Too Bad and the Strike-Outs, Ska King Crab, and Spring Heeled Jack. -John and John are playing Toad's Place in New Haven on 1/18. Why not check out Johnny Too Bad there on 1/16? (Or Lettuce Boy at the Tune Inn tonight, or Skavoovie on 1/19?) -I guess that's enough shameless promotion. Oh yeah, on the whole Hello CD thing: I ordered the '93 catalog about two years ago, and received everything as promised, including the demo tape. I haven't ordered anything between then and about a week ago, hoping they still had some '94 sets left. I hope they do respond, becuase I'd sure like to hear those State Songs, and the Brian Dewan disc. -Slacker Ng. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-12 *****************************