Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-122 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 122 Wednesday, 1 May 1996 Today's Topics: WHINE!!!!!! Edison Edison Re: WHINE!!!!!! Re: this tribute thing (XTC) Re: just a bunch of stuff... Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil DAVE'S CHART Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Re: DAVE'S CHART Re: DAVE'S CHART What's that blue thing doing here? Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Only in my dreams...? B-52s/It/Id Re: WHINE!!!!!! Re: DAVE'S CHART tmbg shirts Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Just a couple of things RE: DAVES CHART RE: B-52s/It/Id They Might Be Blowfish Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Whine! "Id", Hootie, and anagrams Re: this tribute thing (XTC) Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-121 a thing named id Re: this tribute thing (XTC) MJ Re[2]: this tribute thing (XTC) Re: "Id", Hootie, and anagrams Re: MJ RE: B-52s/It/Id (none) RE: B-52s/It/Id Re: STOP THE LIST, I WANT TO GET OFF!!!! Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-120 Not as crazy as you look... Re: TMBG radio stories and complaints. Re: TMBG radio stories and complaints. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 08:01:26 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: WHINE!!!!!! HEY!!!! WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO????? ARBY'S ROAST BEEF SALE????? I POST AND POST AND POST AND POST AND NO REPLIES!!!! I FEEL SO *unwanted* (hehehe) I'M GONNA MISS THE THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS SHOWS IN CINCINNATI AND COLUMBUS BECAUSE I HAVE TO GO TO THE GOD-FORSAKEN LAND OF OKLAHOMA (SORRY OKIE'S) THIS E-MAIL IS ADDRESSED TO EVERYONE I CAN POSSIBLY THINK OF MAILING BECAUSE I'M LOOKING FOR MAIL! (even my unknown new friends on the mailing list...btw.."hi nice to meet you!") IF ANYONE WANTS TO CHECK OUT MY HOME PAGE...HERE YOU GO: http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ MY TMBG STUFF (EXCEPT FOR THE SOUND CLIPS) IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING POSTED. FEEL FREE TO SEND ME ANYTHING THAT MIGHT BE COOL (hey i made a funny!) TO POST ON MY PAGE... BYE BYE NOT JUST ANOTHER JOHN Green Jello) JOHN LAMBERT mailto:jkl@roughbros.com mailto:johnl@tmbg.org mailto:greenjello@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:02:21 -0400 (EDT) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: Edison here's to a girl who lives in NJ and had been too insanely busy to read her TMBG digest till after the Edison bit took place. Sounds like it was a blast, and I curse my business for not being aware. I'm glad some of you were able to go! Miss Joni ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:02:21 -0400 (EDT) From: "Joni M. Back" Subject: Edison here's to a girl who lives in NJ and had been too insanely busy to read her TMBG digest till after the Edison bit took place. Sounds like it was a blast, and I curse my business for not being aware. I'm glad some of you were able to go! Miss Joni ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:20:51 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: WHINE!!!!!! David Gonzalez wrote: > I don't post too much because I'm here at work. > So I just mostly read everyone else's posts. I know > that that's pretty selfish of me..but, hey,..whaddya gonna > do? Let everyone know on the list when your TMBG-realted > page is up so that everyone can check it out and get > some good vibes goin' somwhere in this world....... thanks for the reply!!!!!!! "i'm somebody i'm somebody the new phone books are here!!" -the jerk i'll post as soon as there up... i do have some sound clips!!! http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ not just another john ------------------------------ From: noogie soldier Subject: Re: this tribute thing (XTC) Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 8:32:21 CDT > Other high points include the song 'Statue Of Liberty' from the early years > of XTC sung like it was from 'Oranges and Lemons' by some band who I don't > know... that would be joe jackson. farside ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 09:40:47 MDT Subject: Re: just a bunch of stuff... ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 14 Tara, Yes, us guys need to carry our own groceries. It would be too crushing to our sensitive egos to have a girl help us out. I remember helping a friend move, and I fell out of the truck and she tried to help me up-- I had the wind knocked out of me but I still struggled to my feet instead of just letting her hold me in her arms--silly me! Wally Pleasant--never heard his music, but his name sounds like a cartoon character. Just got back from Japan, where the food is GREAT! Russ ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 11:17:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil TO all you flakes out there, I am realy fed up with everyone who likes They Might be Giants only because their not popular. I am of the notion that They are a phenomenal band that more people should listen to. If that means they need to open up for a top forty band then so be it. I consider it cashing in as opposed to selling out. Don't you think it's about time that the words They Might be Giants were on the lips of every Gen X'er in the world. I don't see how you can realy call yourselves fans, and then berate the band for taking up an opportunity like this. Shit, I'd be happy if they oppened up for Micheal Jackson. So what you as an alleged fan have to ask yourself is, "Why do I realy like TMBG?" If your answer is because they play outstanding music, then relax and watch them become megastars (Besides in three years when they are huge you can just say, "Well I liked them even before they were cool") but if the reason you listen is because They Might Be Giants is an Unknown then I think you need to stop buying the T Shirts, Turn in your C.D.'s, stop going to shows, and GET THE FUCK OFF THIS LIST. This list is for the advancement of TMBG, not so a bunch of losers and computer geeks can do something alternative Joe *--------------------------------------- "The greatest trick the Devil ever played was making people believe he didn't exist" - The Usual Suspects --------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:26:49 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Sheesh!......You're not angry, are you? drg "Mean People Suck"<----------------| | Saw it on a bumpersticker--| > > TO all you flakes out there, > > I am realy fed up with everyone who likes They Might be Giants > only because their not popular. I am of the notion that They are a > phenomenal band that more people should listen to. If that means they > need to open up for a top forty band then so be it. I consider it > cashing in as opposed to selling out. Don't you think it's about time > that the words They Might be Giants were on the lips of every Gen X'er in > the world. I don't see how you can realy call yourselves fans, and then > berate the band for taking up an opportunity like this. Shit, I'd be > happy if they oppened up for Micheal Jackson. So what you as an alleged > fan have to ask yourself is, "Why do I realy like TMBG?" If your answer > is because they play outstanding music, then relax and watch them become > megastars (Besides in three years when they are huge you can just say, > "Well I liked them even before they were cool") but if the reason you > listen is because They Might Be Giants is an Unknown then I think you > need to stop buying the T Shirts, Turn in your C.D.'s, stop going to > shows, and GET THE FUCK OFF THIS LIST. This list is for the advancement > of TMBG, not so a bunch of losers and computer geeks can do something > alternative > > Joe > > --------------------------------------- > "The greatest trick the Devil ever played > was making people believe he didn't exist" > - The Usual Suspects > --------------------------------------------- > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:39:38 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: DAVE'S CHART Man.....some people are soooooooo touchy! Due to the latest "confrontation" concerning Bootie...er, I mean Hootie, Joseph Puscas has forced me to bring out the following chart so that all who are on this list will understand EXACTLY why it is that most fans of Theirs were shocked/dismayed during the Blowmefish rumour: DAVE'S SCALE OF *MUSICAL* TALENT AND/OR ABILITY (10 is the highest) |---TMBG | --------0------------------------------------------------10 *--------------------------------------------------------- *--------------------------------------------------------- *--------------------------------------------------------- *--------------------------------------------------------- *--------------------------------------------------------- *--------------------------------------------------------- *--------------------------------------------------------- *--------------------------------------------------------- *---------------------------------------------------------0 *---------------------------------------------------------(-1) *--------------------------------0------------------------(-2) | |---Hootie "That's all I got to say about that." Forest Gump ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 13:10:55 -0400 Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil >Don't you think it's about time that the words They Might be Giants were on the lips of >every Gen X'er in the world. I don't see how you can realy call yourselves fans, and >then berate the band for taking up an opportunity like this. I certainly agree that TMBG don't get nearly enough recognition, and that associating oneself with a top 40 act doesn't necessarily mean selling out (although I don't know if I agree with what you later said about not caring if they opened for Michael Jackson **shudder**). I just think it's a bit insulting for them to have to open for anyone (unless, as I've said before, it's a shared bill sitiuation). As for generation X'ers embracing them, I doubt the majority ever will, as they make brilliant fun of the "I'm so depressed and angst-ridden" attitiude the average MTV viewer cherishes. But since the Hootie thing apparently didn't go through, I guess this is all a moot point anyway. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:46:37 -0500 (CDT) From: Joseph Puscas Subject: Re: DAVE'S CHART Well Dave, I would have to agree with your chart, I'm not saying Hootie is anywhere near the calibre of music that TMBG is, but if youl refer to my chart you may learn a thing or two Joe's chart o' popularity Hootie and the blowfish + + + Jesus Christ + + Dave's Mom + + + The cast of friends + + + TMBG + + + Joe Puscas after this post But okay I understand you don't want They to oppen up for Hootie. Well here are some other suggestions. TMBG opening for KISS. STP can't do it. TMBG opening for Garth Brooks. They could play Minimum wage TMBG opening for Ministry. Lets see Flans get witty with that crowd. TMBG opening for nine inch nails. It worked for Bowie TMBG opening at Lollapallooza. I don't know we could all be the first ones there with They shirts. Well whatever I'd go see They/Hootie along with like 10,000 others so why not? *--------------------------------------- "The greatest trick the Devil ever played was making people believe he didn't exist" - The Usual Suspects --------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 13:43:56 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: DAVE'S CHART > > > Well whatever I'd go see They/Hootie along with like 10,000 others so why > not? > I would answer that question, but, I would probably say something really geeky that only a bunch of computer-type people would understand....*sarcasm* drg ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:46:32 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: What's that blue thing doing here? Hi all: Um, okay, I've only been on the list a week or so... so bear with me.... But I was on the old list a couple of years ago (does anyone on here remember that? It was my freshman year so it's kind of hazy in my mind....) and have been a TMBG fan since a little after Flood. (Just establishing my legitimacy here....) Just wanted to continue the radio thread -- I sort of randomly turned on the radio this morning around 8:15 and was pleasantly surprised to hear Snail Shell (on 92.1 WMAD in Madison, WI). I don't listen to the radio that much, but I don't think they play TMBG all that often (maybe a few times a week?). Oddly enough, a month or two ago the company that owns them merged with another company, which now owns a whopping seven of the not-all-that-many-more-than-seven radio stations here. Maybe they'll start playing TMBG on all their stations. But I doubt it. A couple other things, while I'm at it.... At the two TMBG concerts I've been to in Madison in the last year-plus, I noticed that a large segment of the TMBG fan base here is, well, really young, as in high-school age. It's a bit annoying actually but I suppose I should be understanding... I liked Them back then too.... Any particular characteristics of TMBG fans anywhere else? By the way, I can never find TMBG used stuff around here anywhere (i.e. cd's, albums). And the stores are usually out of their discs. I don't know if that means they don't stock them or sell out fast. I was actually lucky enough to be e-mailed by _my_ evil twin... Jason F. Gohlke, yes, the same name but with the "wrong" middle initial, wanted to know if he could put a link to my home page on his. It's strange to see your own name on a home page you would never make... I recommend the experience. (By the way, if anyone is curious, I'm a junior at UW-Madison majoring in Art and Political Science. My favorites other than TMBG are 1. R.E.M. 2. probably U2 3. Changes about monthly... Dave Matthews Band, Soul Coughing, Police, World Party, Beatles, Doors, etc.) My compliments to Leo for keeping up really nice web pages, and you guys for some interesting conversation on the list.... An unrelated thing: Spring is really bringing me down... it's actually been raining and _snowing_ here for the last two days. That's what I get for being a Wisconsinite. That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else.... (okay, overused line, but that was all I could think of....) Jason ooh, now at ensor@tmbg.org! (and gohlke@tmbg.org) "I have been given the freedom / J a s o n L. G o h l k e to do as I see fit" / jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu - R.E.M. / bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu http://arch.housing.wisc.edu/~bjorn ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 13:57:54 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil I don't know where your from. But everybody here at my college and most of the people back at home have heard of them. They just don't listen to them. The problem is getting people to realize that They are a good band. Not finding out who they are. That's already been done. We need to get people past "Birdhouse" "Istanbul" and "Particle Man". That's all most people know by Them. I Have a radio show and I make it a point to play at least one lesser known song by them every week. By opening for Hootie and the Blowfish I feel that They would be making a bad career move. While I don't particularily (sp?) care for Hootie, I am aware that many people do. But Hootie is not a generation X band. They are more adult alternative. If you want Them to be known by Gen X'ers They should tour with a Gen X'er band. Also stereotypical Gen X'ers do not have much caring for Hootie. If They were to open for them. Than I think all of our efforts would be wasted. They would be remembered for this for the rest of Their careers. Alright. This is long enough. I'm sorry for this, but I feel it had to be said. I go now. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ? "Spring time, is on my mind. Flowers blooming, all the time. Smell the ? roses, smell the grass. Old man winter, can kiss my ass." - Spinal Tap ? ? "Today your love. Tomorrow the world." - The Ramones ? ? M.C.I. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:58:34 -0500 (CDT) From: jenny Subject: Only in my dreams...? I had this really strange dream last night, and you guys were all in it. Well, not exactly. I was sitting in my little sister's room, and she'd bought this cd that had bands doing covers of TMBG songs. Only, they were songs I'd never heard of before. But I know they were Theirs, because the cover said "They Might Be Giants" on it. Anyway, there was a song on there done by Hootie and the Blowfish. I was really confused, and then I woke up. So, I didn't get to hear the song or anything. But it was interesting nonetheless. -jenny, who is done with classes for the semester...bring on the finals. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 13:10:12 -0500 From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu (Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen) Subject: B-52s/It/Id Re: the B-52s: Matt wrote: > Actually, didn't that excellent first album come out in 1981 or am I > mistaken? But yeah the B-52s are way old, almost any band today that > would open for them would be younger pretty much. I like the b-52s > especially that wacky older stuff. and Amanda wrote: >We were both off mark...I just checked the liner and it was 1982. Oh well, >one can't be right all the time, now can they? :) The 'eponymous' album by the B-52s, which included 'Rock Lobster,' came out in '79. (Wow! I learned a new word from this digest and can use it in a sentence!) Re: A Self called Nowhere: Someone wrote: "I refuse to sing "it", it sounds dumb that way." So are you singing "it's a thing named ID in a bottomless PID?" :) Vix -------------------- Editor CHS Public Affairs UW-Madison ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:27:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: WHINE!!!!!! I'm sorry to hear of your Oklahoma misfortune. I didn'y get to go to the Edisom show because Immediately beforeheand, I suffered a concussion. Somebody picked me up, and dropped me on my neck. I should probably have gone to a doctor, but I didn't. My cousin used to live in Oklahoma, but he passsed away. He fell into the wheat thresher. Pity. It was a new wheat thresher. Well, I've gotta go. My skull is throbbing, and I'm getting that strange urge to devour my mailman again. --Jack john@tmbg.org http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:34:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: DAVE'S CHART On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Joseph Puscas wrote: > But okay I understand you don't want They to oppen up for > Hootie. Well here are some other suggestions. > TMBG opening for KISS. STP can't do it. > TMBG opening for Garth Brooks. They could play Minimum wage > TMBG opening for Ministry. Lets see Flans get witty with that crowd. > TMBG opening for nine inch nails. It worked for Bowie > TMBG opening at Lollapallooza. I don't know we could all be the first > ones there with They shirts. you forgot one: TMBG opening for Skynard. Instead of "play Free Bird!" we'd be hearing "play Birdhouse!" ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: tmbg shirts Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:57:08 -0400 (EDT) I was just thinking about the edison show and the internship and such. I noticed out of all of the people there, I think I was the only one with a TMBG shirt on (Happy New Year one from Philly) besides Graham Maby and his daughter's friend that is. I wonder if he came up to us because he saw the shirt or because we were just a bunch of bouncing bees ready to see the show and realized we must be TMBG fans? hmm Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 13:05:00 P As for liking hootie or not, I don't think it really matters. I think $ wise, it would be a really good deal for TMBG. they would get alot more publicity. And a ton more people would be exposed to them. BUT!!! I don't know if I would want TMBG to be a "mainstream band" so to speak. That is one of the things that makes them so cool. It would be lame just to be "another person" in the crowd of TMBG fans. Where as right now, not many people like them, (as in die hard fans), like Me and my buds are. I don't know, I think it would be really weird if TMBG became "hip" so to speak. You know what I'm sayin? Of course I don't like them just because they are not popular, I like them because they are the best band on earth. But it would just be different. Whether it would be for the best or worst I can't say, but I think they are just great the way they are. oh well. Just my 2 cents Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Just a couple of things Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:08:20 -0400 (EDT) > > In response to how often TMBG gets airplay.. > Here in Sacramento we have KWOD which plays mainly the Green > Day/Bush/Pearl Jam/etc. type of "alternative" music, but will on > occassion play Them, particulary when a new single is released. And > I've been hearing "Birdhouse in Your Soul" at least 2-3 times a week > lately. I've never heard them play any pre-Flood music (big surprise). Surely if they've played Birdhouse they've played Don't Let's Start which is on the first album...ok I know that doesn't count ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: DAVES CHART Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 13:13:00 P Well I noticed that Every one is making their little charts of what ever. Heres mine. Brenden's Chart o Popularity. (as in the general public... not my opinion) Hootie Green Day Lots of hip bands Beatles TMBG Brenden's Chart of what it would be TMBGTMBGTMBG TMGB Beatles - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Green Day ---- - - - -- -- --- -- -- -- -- -- -- Hootie - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- All those really cheesy "hip" bands Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: B-52s/It/Id Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 13:13:00 P TMBG opened for The B5'2 once a really long time ago. Like in 1989 or something. Who knows. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: They Might Be Blowfish Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:24:18 -0400 (EDT) > > Don't say that TMBG opening for Hootie could never happen. They played = > together at the 1995 HFS Earthday Concert in MD, along with Collective = > Soul and some other bands. The scariest thing is that TMBG was the = > biggest of those three at the time! Uummmmmm, unless I was doing massive drugs or something, Hootie and the Blowfish were not at the HFS Earthday Concert. Natalie Merchant was there and Collective Soul yes and Toad the Wet Sprocket and some other loser bands, but there wasn't any Hootie in site at Merryweather. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:29:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil A lot of people wrote stuff that I want to reply to. Here we go: > I am realy fed up with everyone who likes They Might be Giants > only because their not popular. Antone who likes a band because they're not popular is a moron. Anyone who thinks that anyone else could like They because They're not popular is obvoiusly deaf. > Don't you think it's about time that the words They Might be Giants > were on the lips of every Gen X'er in the world. Generation X is a myth. > So what you as an alleged fan have to ask yourself is, "Why do I realy > like TMBG?" Because They are the greatest band out there. > (Besides in three years when they are huge you can just say, "Well I > liked them even before they were cool") They were always cool. They were always cool. They were cool fetuses, or should I say, cool zygotes? > This list is for the advancement of TMBG, not so a bunch of losers and > computer geeks can do something alternative Take your pick: Would you rather we be a bunch of losers and computer geeks struggling not to do anything alternative, like you? OR I'm sorry, I can't hear you. I have a mouse stuck in my ear. > "Mean People Suck!" A Grateful Dead quote, I believe. > I just think it's a bit insulting for Them to have to open for anyone. Actually They opened for Elvis Costello last year. I don't mind that at all. Elvis Costello fans would be more open to They then Hootie fans would. They can open for him whenever They damn well please. That "Dave's mom" thing was uncalled for. > TMBG opening for nine inch nails. It worked for Bowie Actually, NIN opened for Bowie. I went to that show with your mother. > Well I'd go see They/Hootie along with like 10,000 others so why not? Because we'd never get any tickets. That's why we don't like the idea. For all you people out where They never go: Wouldn't it kill you if They finally did come around, and you couldn't get tickets because of all those Hootie people? > you forgot one: TMBG opening for Skynard. Instead of "play Free Bird!" we'd be hearing "play Birdhouse!" Or, instead of hearing "Play Free Bird!" we'd be hearing "Play I Blame You!" Well, I guess that's about it for me. If I forgot anyone, I apologize in advance. --Jack http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn John@tmbg.org jcurley@ramapo.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:15:56 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Whine! THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR REAFFIRMING MY FAITH IN HUMANITY!!!! THANKS BRIAN LAMB! THANKS DAVID! THANKS ANDREW! THANKS JOHNETTE! THANKS JACK! THANKS TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAS OR WILL MAIL ME!!! THANKS GUYS! NOT JUST ANOTHER JOHN! ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: "Id", Hootie, and anagrams Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:34:00 -0400 (EDT) > Elektra and Atlantic are both subsidiaries of Warner Comm. I think everybody must be owned by Time Warner, they huge ;) -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: this tribute thing (XTC) Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:39:07 -0400 (EDT) > I'd have to say that the XTC tribute is well worth anyone's 13 bucks... > The tmbg song is called '25 O' Clock and is not spectacular, but it is new > material... TMBG lack of greatness on this particular disc is made up for by > this great conga-line-till-ya-drop-song called 'The Man Who Sailed Around His > Soul'... Also on the disc there is a great song for anybody who likes Crash > Test Dummies and that new overlypopular band SpaceHog does a half way decent > rendition of 'Senses Working Overtime'... another prominent feature is > Sara(h) MacLauchlan (I have no idea how this is spelled) singing 'Dear God' a > song that would be cool regardless of the singer... While I agree that Dear God is just one excellent song, I believe that Sarah McLuaghlin has just totally massacred this song and it is a travesty of justice for her ot have sung that (not that I'm a big hater of her, the version was just terrible). Ok I have vented. See ya'all Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:42:10 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (the PiXie King) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-121 Hello fellow TmBgers! I was wondering if there are many hello '96 subscribers on the list? I just got my first 2 cds from it the other day, and they are pretty great! Will Rigby sounds pretty good, but The Gothic Archies are incredable! The only problem with the cd is that all the tracks are so very very short...:( Anyway, what does everyone else think? http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ Nathan Todd/aka Linnel ntodd@emba.uvm.edu helios@tmbg.org ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ "someTimes i feel like being wispy, and once in a while i feel like being dry" "everyThing is gonna burn, we'll all Take Turns, i'll get mine Too" the PiXies\They Might be GIANTs ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 12:13:28 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: a thing named id Regarding the whole "id" verus "it" discussion: The word "id" is actually Latin for "it", and (according to my psych teacher) Freud's intent in using that particular term was based on his theory that the human subconcious has no identity (that's the job of the ego, see?). Just another wordplay brought to you by John and John. SuzyB ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: this tribute thing (XTC) Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:56:21 -0400 (EDT) > > > Other high points include the song 'Statue Of Liberty' from the early years > > of XTC sung like it was from 'Oranges and Lemons' by some band who I don't > > know... > that would be joe jackson. Graham Maby used to be bass player for Joe Jackson! If anyone caught Joe on the House of Blues, Graham was there, he rocked both of them rocked actually. See y a Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: MJ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 16:01:14 -0400 (EDT) The problem with opening for Michael Jackson is that Michael Jackson would suck and I would be really depressed and is that anyway to go to a TMBG concert? I'd be really depressed if they opened for Hootie too because I don't like Hootie. Now if they opened for a bigger band that I liked then I wouldnt' care probably. But I would care some because TMBG doesn't deserve to open for anybody! Besides, opening bands only play for 30 minutes or so and that is not as fun as seeing them for 3 hours. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 13:48:52 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re[2]: this tribute thing (XTC) On 4/30/96 1:18 PM, Matt James wrote: >> song that would be cool regardless of the singer... >While I agree that Dear God is just one excellent song, I believe that >Sarah McLuaghlin has just totally massacred this song and it is a >travesty of justice for her ot have sung that (not that I'm a big hater >of her, the version was just terrible). Ok I have vented. I totally agree. "Dear God" is an extremely angry song, and McLachlan covering it in her plaintive soprano just doesn't capture the spirit of the song effectively. (No insult to her, though, she did a song with Manufacture on the Nettwerk compilation Cd called "As the End Draws Near" which was pretty good.) And for those of you who don't already own the XTC album "Dear God" came from, *Skylarking*, you should drop what you're doing and head for the nearest record store. It's excellent. And about this Hootie bizness, apparently They politely declined the invitation to open for Hootie, which I think evidences *Their* opinions on the subject. 2 more cents from: SuzyB ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 16:37:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Johnette Frostburg Subject: Re: "Id", Hootie, and anagrams On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > Elektra and Atlantic are both subsidiaries of Warner Comm. > I think everybody must be owned by Time Warner, they huge ;) Hell, I'M owned by Time Warner!! (But not for much longer.....) 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 96 14:28:31 From: "Hefley, Paula" Subject: Re: MJ On 4/30/96 2:03 PM, Matt James wrote: >The problem with opening for Michael Jackson is that Michael >Jackson would suck and I would be really depressed and is that >anyway to go to a TMBG concert? I'd be really depressed if they >opened for Hootie too because I don't like Hootie. Now if they The only good thing about any of these scenarios is that the TMBG contingent could split after They played, and thus be spared from suffering through Michael Jackson or Hootie or whoever. And, if there were enough of us in attendance, and we made enough noise leaving in protest as the main act came on stage... well I guess that would be pretty obnoxious, but funny at the same time. I don't think it would be worth the $30 ticket price, but then again, all the other times I've seen Them it's been something like $10, so if I had to pay $30 once it would all come out in the wash somewhere. :) 3 posts in one day - proof positive I'm not working hard enough! Suzy Captain Cosmic B ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:33:05 -0700 (PDT) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: RE: B-52s/It/Id On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > > TMBG opened for The B5'2 once a really long time ago. Like in 1989 or > something. Who knows. > On a slightly related note, I was at a radio station concert in Dallas where They played last, right after the Go-Gos! Great combo -- the Go-Gos rock! Jason "OK, now can you ID the .sig quote?" Weiner ############################################################# Jason Weiner *"I took a wrong turn of events. Stanford University * A wrong fork at the situation." discord@leland.stanford.edu * -Glass Eye, "Come Back" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:16:08 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> MWHOOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Just got done with my toughest final. Sorry 'bout that little outburst there. I'll be on my best behavior for the rest of this post, I promise. ;) I'm thinkin' that the first B-52s album came out in '79. I'm pretty sure in fact. The self-titled one, with Rock Lobster, Planet Claire, etc.? I was really excited when I got that CD because I could finally check the lyrics sheet to figure out what the hell Cindy is screaming in "Dance This Mess Around" (and it is "Why don't you dance with me? I'm not no Limburger." Gee, that was the next thing I woulda guessed). Anyway, the B-52s rock. It makes great stress-relief music during finals week. "Some say she's from Mars Or one of those seven stars That shines after 3:30 in the morning.... WELL SHE ISN'T!!!!" --B-52s, "Planet Claire" No, instead she's just --Tara. P.S. Is there really an evil Tara triplet?? That would be cool! :) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 19:14:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: RE: B-52s/It/Id On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, No. 10 Can of Steam wrote: > On a slightly related note, I was at a radio station concert in Dallas > where They played last, right after the Go-Gos! Great combo -- the Go-Gos > rock! The Go-Go's do rock, indeed! My fave is "Vacation". On another slightly related note, I'm Go-Going to an 80's party on Thursday night! Whoo-hoo! We're gonna all dance to cheezy music, and we all have to dress accordingly. I'm gonna try to get my hair to do the whole "A Flock Of Seagulls" thing. I'm gonna dance all night, and just have a ball. Hmmm. Maybe I can get some overalls and go as one of the guys from Dexy's Midnight Runners! PARTY! --Jack, who has finally figured out the REAL lyrics to Falco's "Rock Me, Amadeus" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 20:45:57 -0500 (CDT) From: mr_me Subject: Re: STOP THE LIST, I WANT TO GET OFF!!!! On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Lady J wrote: > > hey guys, the time has come when i have to leave. my semester is over at > the end of the week, and i will be traipsing home to huntington, land of > no email.....so i have to unsubsribe. but i'll be back in august, i promise. > > send me mail, tell me goodbye, and while you're at it, give me the > address to get off!!!! c'mon, think of all the nice things i've done for you! > > yours in a bucket, > aims > > `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` > "You will hardly know what I am or what I mean, But I shall be good health > to you nevertheless, And filter and fibre your blood." -Walt Whitman > > aimee elisabeth pflieger http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~apfliege/ > ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` > i feel your pain, i too am e-mail deprived at home. i'm kinda wondering what the procedure to get off the list is too. thanx -john ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 22:53:24 +0000 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-120 >how often is tmbg played on the radio? NEVER. Well, almost never. KOME will sometimes play TMBG, if the dj is in a weird mood and it's 3 am and nobody else has a request. KSJS will occasionally play Them if you get lots of fellow fans to call them up and beg shamelessly. And even then. All the other radio stations just laugh at you if you ask. San Jose, CA... home of really ugly municipal statuary and really crappy radio stations (sludgy oatmeal soft rock or grunge? You pays you money and you takes you choice) -nicole (ana.ng@tmbg.org) nnicole@hooked.net ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 22:57:13 -0400 Subject: Not as crazy as you look... Somebody tell me I'm not as stupid as you look and tell me what song the lyrics "I lost all my friends/ I don't need my friends" are in... I know it's something like that and I 'm pretty sure it's a TMBG song... nevermind... it's Meet James Ensor... my brother is as stupid as I look... ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 23:30:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG radio stories and complaints. I don't listen to the radio all too often, unless it's NPR, of course, but I do have a TMBG-radio-road-tripping experience. I was driving from my parental home in NC to my lovely home in NYC, last summer, and, in Baltimore, I decided to give this famed HFS a chance. They didn't disappoint me... about five minutes after I turned on the radio they played "Don't Let's Start." I was quite thrilled, since that was the first (and only) time I had heard TMBG on the radio. My passenger and I have never been so thrilled with life while driving on I-95. Love, Brooks, who thought fondly of the "nasal voice" thread this afternoon as she was listening to The Vindictives. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: TMBG radio stories and complaints. Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 00:03:23 -0400 (EDT) > > I don't listen to the radio all too often, unless it's NPR, of course, but I > do have a TMBG-radio-road-tripping experience. I was driving from my > parental home in NC to my lovely home in NYC, last summer, and, in Baltimore, > I decided to give this famed HFS a chance. They didn't disappoint me... > about five minutes after I turned on the radio they played "Don't Let's > Start." I was quite thrilled, since that was the first (and only) time I had > heard TMBG on the radio. My passenger and I have never been so thrilled with > life while driving on I-95. Wow Julie, You must have caught HFS as it's best, it actually has gone downhill somewhat, but it has it's touches of brilliance every once in a while. Did you by any chance hear that around noon or so? That's when they play the HFS flashback cafe and they have been known to play more TMBG then. Don't Let's Start is one of their favs, I think they must play that song the most. Well I must go now I will talk to you later, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-122 ******************************