Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-123 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 123 Thursday, 2 May 1996 Today's Topics: John Henry on CD Re: WHINE!!!!!! Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-122 Edison and shirts... *******a poem of dial-a-song******* Re: Hootie / TMBG Video Bootleg read please Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-122 Re: read please Re: mean people suck Spiraling Shape Re: John Henry on CD Somewhat important message If I wasn't shy... Administrivia XTC *******a poem of dial-a-song******* Re: this tribute thing (XTC) Re: this tribute thing (XTC) (none) concert at U of C You'll never know what you'll find.... Popularity Re: John Henry on CD Re: read please Re: No Subject Re: Popularity Re: John Henry on CD TMBG on tour AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. Re: A Whole Lotta Stuff Re: You'll never know what you'll find.... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 03:19:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: John Henry on CD I finally bought the John Henry CD today, new, for only $8.00. This is a rarity here since most TMBG CDs are $15-$20 dollars new. For exaple, in the same store, the Flood, Apollo 18, and TMBG CDs were all $17.00. When I asked the salesguy why this one was so cheap, he first said it was the single. I was about to set his straight but then thought to myself "hey, maybe this guy doesn't know what he's selling...keep your mouth shut, or he'll change the price on you!" The salesguy then realised that it was the full lenght album, and told me that the store was over-stocked, so they dropped the price. As I was paying for the thing, I made a joke to the cashier to overstock more of Their stuff so I could by it at the cheaper price. The cashier told me that it wasn't overstocked, but that it was a delete. Now, I've never understood the concept of 'deletes'. What exactly does it mean? The CD does have a little whole drilled into the jewelcase, so the 'delete' scenario is the most probable one, but I'm still confused as to what that means. Have they stopped pressing these discs, or has the record company stopped selling them, or what?? I really don't care, 'cause I finally have John Henry on a format that will last, in theory, forever...which is good, since I'll be playing it non-stop. Thank you, and good night. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 08:09:33 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: WHINE!!!!!! No. 10 Can of Steam wrote: > Perhaps it's because you shout so much. We've already had the "it's just > my little habit" discussion about all caps, and I believe the consensus > was: yes it's your right, but it annoys the hell out of the rest of us. i normally type with no caps at all...but seeing as how I WAS WHINING!!!!!! i decided to use a loud voice. thank you very little! i appreciate a response though. >3 posts in one day - proof positive I'm not working hard enough! >Suzy Captain Cosmic B don't you hate that????? hahaha >...when I got that CD because I could finally check the >lyrics sheet to figure out what the hell Cindy is screaming in "Dance >This Mess Around" (and it is "Why don't you dance with me? I'm not no >Limburger." Gee, that was the next thing I woulda guessed). Anyway, >the B-52s rock. i wondered what she said too! i also was cleared up with the purchase of the cd. and yes my dear the b-52's rock! at least up until cindy left...i don't listen to any of the new stuff (especially the bc-52's stuff in the flintstones! that movie sucked!) >I'm gonna try to get my hair to do the whole "A Flock Of >Seagulls" thing. I'm gonna dance all night, and just have a ball. Hmmm. >Maybe I can get some overalls and go as one of the guys from Dexy's >Midnight Runners! two words: parachute pants!!!!!!!! take care all!!! thanks to those who mailed me about WHINE!!! not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 08:09:16 -0400 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (the PiXie King) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-122 Ok, there is a major problem with Them opening up for a big, popular, cool band. (and this is the reverse of the position i took only days ago:) They already have an _extremely large_ exposure to the general public (hell, even MTV plays Them). The problem isn't that people don't know about Them, it is that people don't think They are cool. These are not the type of people we want to like TmBg, because they will like Them for the _wrong reasons_. If They open for Hootie or some other big band, maybe some people will be exposed to them and go out and buy a couple cds, but this will probably occure because "oh, they performed with hootie, they're pretty cool!" The only way that TmBg will ever get extremely popular is because They change Their music to be more commercial and to match the tastes of the general public. So, the day They go triple platinum, say, is the day i break down and cry for a year in mourning... So, I don't like TmBg because they are unpopular, only because they do good music. But I do think that if they ever did become popular it would be because they no longer were able to put out good music. Oh, and btw I have _NEVER_ heard They on the radio....not once. bye now:) http://swen.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/ Nathan Todd/aka Linnel ntodd@emba.uvm.edu helios@tmbg.org ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ "someTimes i feel like being wispy, and once in a while i feel like being dry" "everyThing is gonna burn, we'll all Take Turns, i'll get mine Too" the PiXies\They Might be GIANTs ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~ ------------------------------ From: promans@sloth.loyola.edu (Phil Romans) Subject: Edison and shirts... Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 09:44:08 -0400 (EDT) ok, I want to make it known that it was not Matt's shirt that drew Jamie to our little group. I know there were only 2 other shirts at the show but it was my way cool ha that brought him in and got us the autographs! So I am pushing the way cool TMBG green hat has the answer to world peace! that and Cortney asking... so Matt, take that! -=phil -- ._________________________________________________________________. I |promans@sloth.loyola.edu | http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans | W | U2-They Might Be Giants-Pink Floyd-Rush | G | looking for any 'live' material of these bands | B | Magic: The Addiction | T \-----------------------------------------------------------------/ P -=The mountains are calling and I must go. (John Muir)=- ! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 10:05:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: *******a poem of dial-a-song******* i don't understand the power of they might be giants dial-a-song they say my call is next but when i wait i don't get it i.e., i don't get the next call but i do get the one i'm on then i mean, it's free when i call from work but when i call from home this can get really irking i mean, paying for the long distance call and getting told my call is next but not getting the next call and instead getting the one i'm on --man, i feel lied to sure, i do end up hearing a song and it's usually something i've yet to hear like a demo of nixon's the one or that don't make me kill you again song again but to what does this dial-a-song compare? does it match the hello phone number (when you dial you hear flanny breathe) does it match the dial-an-atheist number (when you dial you hear linnell breathe) the answer seems not to arise but just think, and if you've not gotten this answer, you haven't thought long enough: dial-a-song compares to dial-a-song and the only other dial-a-song out there is BEN'S DIAL-A-SONG (614) 823-BLUE which always features quirky, funny music like TMBG and Ween and Dr. Demento Stuff and Tiny Tim and and and and you only have to listen for the hmmmm and not the next call. add some light to your life, call BEN'S DIAL-A-SONG public service station message from yours, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Wed, 1 May 96 08:30:23 MDT Subject: Re: Hootie / TMBG Video Bootleg ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 15 You know, I don't think that I've EVER even HEARD a song by Hootie and the Blowfish. I just must listen to the wrong stations. Or maybe getting a CD changer in my car last year has me with the radio off more often. So they won a grammy--bit deal. The grammy are meaningless, IMHO. In a TMBG-related vein: The TMBG Video Bootleg project is coming along nicely, but I still don't have the "House Of Blues" performance. I consider this essential for the compilation. When it was first broadcase I was aware of it, but I DIDN'T HAVE CABLE TV --AAAAARGH! Can anybody send me a video of this? Russ ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: read please Date: Wed, 01 May 96 08:47:00 P WEll, I have sent this out before, and I decided I would give it one LAST try. If you haven't already, please send me you name age city and state (college) thanks!!! There is a possibility that this junk will be on a web page. I don't know PLEASE respond!! Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 15:44:54 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-122 On Wed, 1 May 1996, the PiXie King wrote: > The only way that TmBg will ever get extremely popular is because They > change Their music to be more commercial and to match the tastes of the > general public. So, the day They go triple platinum, say, is the day i > break down and cry for a year in mourning... Theoretically, it would be great if They were popular. I don't have any problems with that. What I would mind would be the side effects. When They _did_ come to the UK to tour they'd be somewhere like Wembley, which would be really shitty to go and see - you'd be miles away from Them. And you'd get those annoying people who like anything if it's played enough on the right programmes at the concerts. Yuk. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 10:06:06 +0600 From: ewillett@vt.edu (Abbaddon) Subject: Re: read please Eddie Willett 19 Blacksburg, VA Virginia Tech At 08:47 AM 5/1/96 P, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > >WEll, I have sent this out before, and I decided I would give it one LAST >try. If you haven't already, please send me you > >name >age >city and state >(college) > > >thanks!!! > >There is a possibility that this junk will be on a web page. I don't know > >PLEASE respond!! > >Brenden - nednerB > Eddie "Our little group has always been and always will until the end"-Kurt Cobain, Smells Like Teen Spirit ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 08:12:32 -0700 Subject: Re: mean people suck I thought I should reply to some of the recent messages in the TMBG digest, though why I should think so is really beyond me. John Lambert WHINED: > >HEY!!!! WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO????? ARBY'S ROAST BEEF SALE????? > >I POST AND POST AND POST AND POST AND NO REPLIES!!!! Stop YELLING! Can't you post in a normal tone of voice? Joseph Puscas flames: > >TO all you flakes out there, Nice way to begin a post. First think you do is tell us that you're an idiot, and that you think we're all flakes. And then you expect us to think there's something worth reading in your post? > I am realy fed up with everyone who likes They Might be Giants >only because their not popular. Hmm, lots of albums sold, soundtrack appearances galore, big theatre concerts. It sounds like they're pretty popular to me! >I am of the notion that They are a >phenomenal band that more people should listen to. Thank you for your opinion. Don't call us, we'll call you. >shows, and GET THE FUCK OFF THIS LIST. Thank you for your understanding of alternate points of view. It's nice to see such a vivid demostration of tolerance in action. > This list is for the advancement >of TMBG, not so a bunch of losers and computer geeks can do something >alternative Um, no. This list is for the DISCUSSION of TMBG. This is not a marketing scheme, scam, or ploy. This list is not a way to make TMBG into stars. This list is for PEOPLE to use to TALK about TMBG. Anyway, enough of that. And if you don't like Hootie and the Blowfish, don't listen to them. By the way, the latest (3.1w) and greatest They Might Be Giants discography is available through the World Wide Web at http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/they.might.be.giants/ Please check and correct your hotlists. -- John -- Take a crate to someone you love. Oranges and Lemons, the new album by XTC. Featuring "The Mayor of Simpleton". Tastes good. Sounds better. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 11:39:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Pudge Subject: Spiraling Shape Ok, ok. WTSR had the Kids in the Hall soundtrack in the New Rack so I decided to play "Spiraling Shape" this morning. I had never heard it before. IMHO, it is one of the best TMBG songs ever. I was also surprised by the length of the track (4:26). If a new album is released in October, I think it should be on there. If the new album does come out on time, it should mean the radio station may have it in September. Later, CraigW ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 13:28:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: John Henry on CD On Wed, 1 May 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > I finally bought the John Henry CD today, new, for only $8.00. This is a > rarity here since most TMBG CDs are $15-$20 dollars new. For exaple, in > the same store, the Flood, Apollo 18, and TMBG CDs were all $17.00. When > I asked the salesguy why this one was so cheap, he first said it was the > single. I was about to set his straight but then thought to myself "hey, > maybe this guy doesn't know what he's selling...keep your mouth shut, or > he'll change the price on you!" The salesguy then realised that it was > the full lenght album, and told me that the store was over-stocked, so > they dropped the price. As I was paying for the thing, I made a joke to > the cashier to overstock more of Their stuff so I could by it at the > cheaper price. The cashier told me that it wasn't overstocked, but that > it was a delete. Now, I've never understood the concept of 'deletes'. > What exactly does it mean? The CD does have a little whole drilled into > the jewelcase, so the 'delete' scenario is the most probable one, but I'm > still confused as to what that means. Have they stopped pressing these > discs, or has the record company stopped selling them, or what?? I really > don't care, 'cause I finally have John Henry on a format that will last, > in theory, forever...which is good, since I'll be playing it non-stop. > Thank you, and good night. > > Alex > > Most likely this was a promotional copy sent to radio stations for giveaways or something like that, this accounts for the "delete" tag thought that is not entirely accurate. A true delete is a non-catalogue item. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 13:53:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Somewhat important message Hi everybody! Mike Rose here to tell you something: on May 4 my Ryerson account ends, so my e-mail address that I'm using right now and the one to which you can reply, will be no more. On that day and for an indefinite time thereafter my e-mail address will change to: alex@yucc.yorku.ca Any and all messages sent from this address are from me, Mike, not Alex. I hope to change it soon to take the name Alex out but for now that's how it is. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Bye for now. Mike. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 11:10:30 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole D Campos Subject: If I wasn't shy... In light of the recent stories about the joy of seeing TMBG in N.J., I thought I should share my very opposite experience in Sacramento. (Which, by the way, I'm very pleased to know has other fans in the area on the list.) About two years ago, TMBG played a show at the Crest theater. They were scheduled to do an interview on the local alternative radio station (KWOD 106.5). My friends and I, camera and various other TMBG stuff in hand, waited for them to finish their interview. This isn't easy for me to write because I am the foolish one in this story. Anyway, they finally came down and my friends and I completely froze. We stood there wanting to move and say something --anything! The only word that came out was "Hi!" Over and over again... Please tell me I'm not the only person out there that has been to shy to do anything. I mean, they were carrying all of their equipment and I just couldn't bring myself to move. Even sadder, at the show, this 12 year old boy was showing off this paper with all of their signatures he'd gotten from them on the street. I've gotten Flans autograph a couple of times before but I've waited nearly nine years for Linnells. And, to Northern California TMBG fans, did you notice this eerie trend over the last six years. In 1990, I saw TMBG on the Flood tour and it was just John and John. In 1992, the band had gained two more members. And then, in 1994, THEY came with six people. So, can we expect them this year with a total of eight? (No, my theory has been shot by previous messages saying that They are touring with less people...but it was fun while it lasted!) -Nikki Forgive my nervousness...this is my first time. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 15:05:41 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The websites Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ Right now it's got tour dates. More to come. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 15:48:38 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: XTC the tribute is definitely worth getting, in fact everything of XTC is darn good and worth getting. they are one of the great British new wave bands of the 80's. mtfbwy jedi-dan@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: *******a poem of dial-a-song******* Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 19:18:57 -0400 (EDT) > you haven't thought long enough: > dial-a-song compares to dial-a-song > and the only other dial-a-song out there is > BEN'S DIAL-A-SONG > (614) 823-BLUE > > which always features quirky, funny music > like TMBG and Ween and Dr. Demento Stuff and Tiny Tim and and and > > and you only have to listen for the hmmmm > and not the next call. > > add some light to your life, > call BEN'S DIAL-A-SONG > > > public service station message > from > yours, > Ben or Been And your song's next!! ;) -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 19:35:17 -0400 From: nmcgrath@world.std.com (Nancy McGrath) Subject: Re: this tribute thing (XTC) > > I'd have to say that the XTC tribute is well worth anyone's 13 bucks... > > The tmbg song is called '25 O' Clock and is not spectacular, but it is new > > material... TMBG lack of greatness on this particular disc is made up for by > > this great conga-line-till-ya-drop-song called 'The Man Who Sailed Around His > > Soul'... Also on the disc there is a great song for anybody who likes Crash > > Test Dummies and that new overlypopular band SpaceHog does a half way decent > > rendition of 'Senses Working Overtime'... another prominent feature is > > Sara(h) MacLauchlan (I have no idea how this is spelled) singing 'Dear God' a > > song that would be cool regardless of the singer... > While I agree that Dear God is just one excellent song, I believe that > Sarah McLuaghlin has just totally massacred this song and it is a > travesty of justice for her ot have sung that (not that I'm a big hater > of her, the version was just terrible). Ok I have vented. > To each his/her own. I love Sarah MacLachlan's version of "Dear God," and could take or leave Ruben Blades' "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul." I agree that "Testimonial Dinner" is worth the money, though. And if you like it, and XTC in general, and TMBG (I guess that one's a given!), I also recommend "The Laughing Man," the new disc from "Testimonial Dinner"'s executive producer, David Yazbek. TRES cool album! You can also catch Yazbek live on Thurs. 5/2 at the Middle East in Philadelphia, at HMV at 86th & Lex in NYC on Fri. 5/17, and at the New Music Cafe in NYC (Houston Street, I believe) on Sat. 6/8. And if you want to keep up to date on Yazbek's gigs, subscribe to his mailing list by sending an email with just the word "subscribe" in the text to yazbek-request@world.std.com Nancy McGrath nmcgrath@world.std.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 20:19:59 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: this tribute thing (XTC) >I agree that "Testimonial Dinner" is worth the money, though. And if you like >it, and XTC in general, and TMBG (I guess that one's a given!), I also >recommend >"The Laughing Man," the new disc from "Testimonial Dinner"'s executive >producer, >David Yazbek. TRES cool album! To add a bit of TMBG relevance to this item, I think I heard that at least some of the tracks on this album feature Brian Doherty on drums. Can anyone confirm? -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 22:04:50 -0400 (EDT) From: MATTHEW D BURKART Sorry if this has already been discusses but I just joined the list this week. Last summer I heard some advertisements for a Zima(the clear alcohol) soundtrack that included THEY. I have not been able to find anyone who got soundtrack or anyone who has drank the stuff. I would be interested to here if anyone got it and what was on it. Matt ------------------------------ From: NyQuil74@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 22:49:01 -0400 Subject: concert at U of C does anyone know for sure whether or not they are checking people at the U of C concert? I really need to know soon. I've heard from some people that they won't be checking for IDs and I've heard from some people that they will check. BTW just wondering if anyone on the list lives in or around springfield Illinois. I'm having a hard time believing that anyone in this town loves TMBG more than me. Adam aka driver ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 22:12:24 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: You'll never know what you'll find.... Hey there... So the day I first post to the list, I get home and what's there but a honking huge newsletter from TMBG themselves. True, it was the "Holiday Edition", a bit out of date, but it was a nice surprise seeing as I never actually joined the Info club. I was a bit puzzled at first why I got it but then realized that I signed my name to their mailing list at the last concert.... So does this mean I'm a member of the info club or what? All I got was the newsletter. When I saw that, though, oh man... I now know where to find the singles I've been looking for, and a t-shirt for every day of the month. Too bad I don't have any money. The hootie debate seems a bit ridiculous by now, doesn't it? I guess I don't mind the hootie-bashing for a while, but.... Anyway, yeah, I also do think that it would be pretty dumb just to like something (e.g. TMBG) because it isn't popular.... or to stop liking it if it becomes popular. (If you do that, aren't you kind of missing the point of liking something in the first place? Isn't that just as bad as liking something only because it is popular and then not liking it if it becomes unpopular?) Just my weird philosophical musings.... Jason (BTW, isn't it "He lost all his friends/ He didn't need his friends"?) "I have been given the freedom / Jason L. Gohlke to do as I see fit" / ensor@tmbg.org - R.E.M. / bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu http://arch.housing.wisc.edu/~bjorn ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 23:44:56 -0400 Subject: Popularity Well, Im the the extatic chicagoian whose gone nuts because the local alternative radio station is gone tmbg-crazed this week. But it hasnt sunk in right... For all the years (most of my life, for im still young) that ive listened to tmbg (and been ridiculed for it) Ive just wanted Them to be excepted with a little bit of popularity though not that bad... but i think it'd be better off if they stayed less-er known, with small, easy-to get-into concerts, etc what do the rest of you think? (whether this has been discussed before i dont know) oh well (aka) kurt http://members.aol.com/kaacoolguy/tmbg/tmbg.html axel@tmbg.org kaacoolguy@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kaacoolguy/kurtpage.html ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:26:18 -0400 Subject: Re: John Henry on CD Where do you live? I have never had to buy a CD for that much money!! Isn't there a Best Buy (where i found the new DMB album for $9.99 yesterday :)) near you somewhere? tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:31:08 -0400 Subject: Re: read please Katie Spain 17 Lake Forest, IL Lehigh (come August) ************tucker************ ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:38:53 -0400 Subject: Re: No Subject I have had Zima and it sucks! It tastes like flat 7up or Sprite. By the way, don't put cherry Jolly Ranchers in the bottles. My friends and I did that one night at my house after we heard that it makes it taste really good, and it started fizzing and went all over my carpet!! If my parents had ever found out what we had been doing that night.........I wouldn't be alive right now! *tucker* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:00:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Raoul the conqueror Subject: Re: Popularity > but i think it'd be better off if they stayed less-er known, with small, > easy-to get-into concerts, etc Yeah, during the whole Hootie thread, folks forgot to mention how much it sucks to see shows at 17,000 person arenas. Not only is it a less intimate atmosphre, but the acoustics are awful. I recently saw the Red Hot Chilli Peppers at United Center and, despite the underwear-clad boys putting on a great show, the experience sucked because we were so far away. The sound was mono and we could hardly see the band from our lovely upper-most-deck, row ZZZXZX seats. For this, I paid $35.00... So, let's hope TMBG never opens for a big venue draw, unless of course its Kitaro or Yanni:) peace Michael (favorite anagram: I Clone Milk Hash) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 01:03:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: John Henry on CD On Thu, 2 May 1996 KTUCKER3@aol.com wrote: > Where do you live? I have never had to buy a CD for that much money!! Yes, I was waiting for someone to ask that question. I live in Toronto, Canada. I assume that most TMBG CDs here are priced as imports, which is why the prices are so high. In general though, most CDs are ridiculously overpriced here...probably because our economy sucks, and our money isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I mean, when you have a dollar coin called "The Loonie", it's pretty much downhill from there, isn't it? > Isn't there a Best Buy (where i found the new DMB album for $9.99 > yesterday :)) near you somewhere? I've never heard of Best Buy. The main CD chains around here are called HMV and Sam The Record Man. It boggles the mind how these places stay in buisness when they sell mostly shit, at prices that would make your mother cry. On the rare occasion that they'll have a TMBG CD or even a TMBG tape, like I said, it would cost around $15-$20. It's gotten to the point that I practically refuse to go into these store, 'cause I know it will be a waste of my time, and an insult of my intelligence. So I buy all my music used...it takes longer to get what I want, buy hey...no one in this world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 00:21:56 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Carl Flatowicz <00206716@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG on tour I am not on this list but I have a very important question. Because I am not on the list I will need you to be so kind as to mail me in person at: 00206716@bigred.unl.edu My friend and I are planning a trip to Chicago based upon the time TMBG will be there. Well, we are assuming they will hit Chicago on their summer and if so I would like to know the date. If not, could I have the nearest place they are playing at relative the the Omaha, Nebraska area??? Your help is greatly appreciated!!! -Jason ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:24:14 -0500 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. I am having trouble having any new thoughts regarding TMBG. Seems that all of the topics have been covered. I think it's time for the new album to just COME OUT! AHHHHHHHHH!! Scott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:41:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Miss Frump Subject: Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. On Thu, 2 May 1996, Scott A. Dodson wrote: > I am having trouble having any new thoughts regarding TMBG. Seems that all We could ponder this: If They Might Be Giants boarded Mrs. Train in Cowtown and headed east at 70 mph, while at the same time, on the same track, the conductor with the paper-white mask of evil turned his train around west, at 32 mph, from the hall of heads, when would they collide? No. Too mathematic. How about: If They Might Be Giants fell over in the woods, and no one was around, would they make a sound? -jenny, who's exhausting every not-studying-for-finals-option available. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 02:47:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: A Whole Lotta Stuff On Thu, 2 May 1996, Miss Frump wrote: > If They Might Be Giants boarded Mrs. Train in Cowtown and headed east at > 70 mph, while at the same time, on the same track, the conductor with the > paper-white mask of evil turned his train around west, at 32 mph, from > the hall of heads, when would they collide? When the hand inside the puppet head is on the Number Three. But the real question is: At that speed, would they get old before they die? Re: Popularity: I saw REM ay Madison Square Garden, top level, 10 rows from the back. Paid $40. I was scared when all 40,000+ sang "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" everytime it came up in "Man On The Moon" Re: John Henry on CD: Alex, you went to the E-Town show, right? You shoulda picked up some cd's while you were in the states. But, I've had to buy my They at some pretty outrageous prices too. New Jersey is expensive. I think that we're technically a different country as well. That would explain Pennsyvlania's tourism motto: "America starts here". I think we're technically part of Portugal. That's it. Bye! --Jack ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 02:58:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Re: You'll never know what you'll find.... On Wed, 1 May 1996, Jason Gohlke wrote: > Hey there... > > So the day I first post to the list, I get home and what's there but a > honking huge newsletter from TMBG themselves. True, it was the "Holiday > Edition", a bit out of date, but it was a nice surprise seeing as I never > actually joined the Info club. I was a bit puzzled at first why I got it > but then realized that I signed my name to their mailing list at the last > concert.... So does this mean I'm a member of the info club or what? > All I got was the newsletter. When I saw that, though, oh man... I now > know where to find the singles I've been looking for, and a t-shirt for > every day of the month. Too bad I don't have any money. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A TMBG NEWSLETTER SINCE FALL 1994. I RESIGNED MY NAME TO THE LIST IN FEBRUARY. STILL NOTHING. JUST WHAT THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET THEM TO MAIL STUFF TO ME? confused in capitals, Mike ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-123 ******************************