Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-124 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 124 Friday, 3 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. Re: Re: TMBG on tour Re: John Henry on CD Re: this tribute thing (XTC) Re: The Laughing Man Ah, the nostalgia! Zima Thang! changes Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. Re: You'll never know what you'll find.... Andy Partridge Re: changes UW-Madison "One More Parade" by TMBG Re: John Henry on CD Re: A Whole Lotta Stuff Re: What's that blue thing doing here? Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Re: They Might Be Blowfish Web concert from a while back Zima JH on CD HELP Schniffen i palindrome i Rat Patrol just a post... Re: just a post... Re: I mailing you. Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) KitH Soundtrack Re: KitH Soundtrack Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 01:58:16 -0700 (PDT) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. On Thu, 2 May 1996, Scott A. Dodson wrote: > I am having trouble having any new thoughts regarding TMBG. Seems that all > of the topics have been covered. I think it's time for the new album to > just COME OUT! AHHHHHHHHH!! > > Scott Here's one..........Mr. Blobby!!!! I'm just evil. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Jason Weiner *"I took a wrong turn of events. Stanford University * A wrong fork at the situation." discord@leland.stanford.edu * -Glass Eye, "Come Back" %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 06:19:05 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: >Sorry if this has already been discusses but I just joined the list this >week. Last summer I heard some advertisements for a Zima(the clear >alcohol) soundtrack that included THEY. I have not been able to find >anyone who got soundtrack or anyone who has drank the stuff. I would be >interested to here if anyone got it and what was on it. The Zima CD had the track "The End of the Tour" on it. The album version, nothing special. -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 08:29:50 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG on tour *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* On Thu, 2 May 1996, Jason Carl Flatowicz wrote: > My friend and I are planning a trip to Chicago based upon the time TMBG > will be there. Well, we are assuming they will hit Chicago on their > summer and if so I would like to know the date. If not, could I have the > nearest place they are playing at relative the the Omaha, Nebraska area??? > I do believe they're playing at the U. of Chicago May 18, but no one seems to know for sure whether or not non-students can get in. In other words, I'm no help whatsoever. :) I see by your e-mail address that you're a UNL student...so am I! Wow, another TMBG fan at UNL! As far as I know, we're few and far between here (if you ever see somebody walking around on campus in either the "They Might Be Giants, Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love" T-shirt or the drunk bird T-shirt, it's probably me). Oh my god, if they played Omaha, I would probably collapse and die of sheer happiness before I ever made it to the show. :) Have you had the chance to see them live before? I saw them in NYC at the Mercury Lounge over spring break. It was great! Anyway, though, I don't think they've officially released tour dates for after the May 18 Chicago show yet...I'm anxiously awaiting them too to see if perhaps they'll hit K.C. or something. There is a website with tour dates listed on it, and it is http://www.tmbg.com. I've been checking it periodically to see if anything new comes up. Well anyway, it's cool to see there are other TMBG fans here in Nebraska--good luck on your concert search! --Tara ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 08:54:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: John Henry on CD *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* On Thu, 2 May 1996, Alex Gershon wrote: > Canada. I assume that most TMBG CDs here are priced as imports, which is > why the prices are so high. In general though, most CDs are ridiculously On a kind of related note...last year I bought a CD by a local band (anybody outside of Nebraska heard of the Millions?) but I had to pay the very steep import price because it was released through a German label. Wacky. And now to add some sort of TMBG content to this otherwise rambling post...I thought of Them when I was studying for my abnormal psychology final. See, there was this picture in my textbook in the chapter on schizophrenia just bear with me here) of this guy sitting in the lap of a statue, clinging onto its neck. I saw this picture and the first thought that came to mind was "And though I once preferred a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me..." 'Twas kinda cool. --Tara ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 10:33:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Nancy McGrath Subject: Re: this tribute thing (XTC) In TMBG Digest #2-123, jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) asked: [RE: David Yazbek's album, "The Laughing Man"] > To add a bit of TMBG relevance to this item, I think I heard that at least > some of the tracks on this album feature Brian Doherty on drums. Can anyone > confirm? > No, Brian Doherty didn't play drums on the album. The drummer who recorded with Yazbek is the amazing Tony James, who also performed in "Stomp!". But Brian _did_ perform with Yazbek live until recently, when he headed into the studio with TMBG. The new drummer gigging with Yazbek is named Dean (don't know his last name). Nancy McGrath ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 08:14:47 -0700 Subject: Re: The Laughing Man jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) asks: > >>"The Laughing Man," the new disc from "Testimonial Dinner"'s executive >>producer, David Yazbek. TRES cool album! > >To add a bit of TMBG relevance to this item, I think I heard that at least >some of the tracks on this album feature Brian Doherty on drums. Can anyone >confirm? I don't believe Brian Doherty plays on the album, but I know he's in Yazbek's live band. So go see them live! And I'll second that motion: _The Laughing Man_ is most excellent! -- John -- Take a crate to someone you love. Oranges and Lemons, the new album by XTC. Featuring "The Mayor of Simpleton". Tastes good. Sounds better. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 10:30:37 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Ah, the nostalgia! Hee hee...I couldn't help but notice that Jon Chaffer has the list named as "Lactose Intolerance Anonymous" in his header thingie...that is *the* thread I think of when I think of the old gnu.ai.mit.edu list. :) (Well, that along with the fateful "I'm shutting down this list" message...ack.) Did we ever reach a consensus as to whether or not They were lactose intolerant? Does anyone even remember how that whole thing got started? :) OK, I realize this is the third message I've posted now this morning. I promise I will shut up now! I'm just very excited about being done with my finals. Geez, I switch from the digest to the list and look what happens to me. :) I swear this will be my last post today, --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 11:24:50 -0500 (EST) From: echobenny Subject: Zima Thang! The zima CD contained one TMBG track, End of the Tour. Certainly not worth drinking Zima for. Ben *------------------------------------------------------------ "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told you can only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like, be like yourself." -- They Might Be Giants "Where do correct ideas come from? Do they drop from the sky? Are they inate in the mind? They come from social practice and from it alone." -- The Scene Is Now Ben Houck--Houckbe@math.earlham.edu--Hangs in the air the way most bricks don't. ___________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 10:17:59 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: changes I've heard that the band has been undergoing lots o changes, losing people and gaining people, including a new guitarist. Mr. Maimonie hasn't left, has he? Liam "There's a nut with a gun, there's enough so they'll never know whch one..." ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 13:24:05 -0400 (EDT) > If They Might Be Giants boarded Mrs. Train in Cowtown and headed east at > 70 mph, while at the same time, on the same track, the conductor with the > paper-white mask of evil turned his train around west, at 32 mph, from > the hall of heads, when would they collide? > > No. Too mathematic. How about: > > If They Might Be Giants fell over in the woods, and no one was around, > would they make a sound? If a tree fell on Forest would anybody hear him? Nahh because he's Gump he's Gump he's Gump, he might be dead! blah -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: You'll never know what you'll find.... Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 13:38:12 -0400 (EDT) > On Wed, 1 May 1996, Jason Gohlke wrote: > > > Hey there... > > > > So the day I first post to the list, I get home and what's there but a > > honking huge newsletter from TMBG themselves. True, it was the "Holiday > > Edition", a bit out of date, but it was a nice surprise seeing as I never > > actually joined the Info club. I was a bit puzzled at first why I got it > > but then realized that I signed my name to their mailing list at the last > > concert.... So does this mean I'm a member of the info club or what? > > All I got was the newsletter. When I saw that, though, oh man... I now > > know where to find the singles I've been looking for, and a t-shirt for > > every day of the month. Too bad I don't have any money. > > > I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A TMBG NEWSLETTER SINCE FALL 1994. I > RESIGNED MY NAME TO THE LIST IN FEBRUARY. STILL NOTHING. JUST WHAT THE > FUCK DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET THEM TO MAIL STUFF TO ME? Wow, same here, I ordered in Dec. and havent received a thing. I wish I could work for them and write some cool database so taht they have all the information ready to go and ready to send out stuff. I shoulda taken that internship ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 13:58:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Michael Rose - PHAF/W95 Subject: Andy Partridge Hey there! I know this is not TMBG related but a lot of us are XTC fans so I felt this would be appropriate. I just found out that Andy Partridge from XTC wrote and recorded some songs for the movie James And The Giant Peach. The director, Henry Selick, really liked them, especially one in particular which he called "beautiful". But Disney just couldn't work out a deal with him, they really wanted Randy Newman. Before going to Andy, a damn cool choice in my opinion and one of the greatest songwriters around, Selick approached Elvis Costello!! I think when Selick breaks away from Disney we're gonna get some really weird stuff. (Maybe even TMBG...who knows?) Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 14:06:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: changes On Thu, 2 May 1996, Liam Singer wrote: > I've heard that the band has been undergoing lots o changes, losing people > and gaining people, including a new guitarist. Mr. Maimonie hasn't left, > has he? Mr. Maimone has been replaced by Graham Maby, the Seinfeld bassist, supposedly. Tony was a cool guy, but Graham is too. I act as if I know them personally. Graham sings back-up vox sometimes, too. --Jack John@tmbg.org http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 13:43:57 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: UW-Madison >(By the way, if anyone is curious, I'm a junior at UW-Madison >majoring in Art and Political Science. My favorites other than TMBG are >1. R.E.M. 2. probably U2 3. Changes about monthly... Dave Matthews >Band, Soul Coughing, Police, World Party, Beatles, Doors, etc.) Did you go to the show at the Barrymore March 10 or 11, 1995? I wsa in Green Bay at the time and drove down for the show. I had never heard Soul Coughing before, and found them really eery on stage. The singer had birdlike mannerisms. What did you think? A few weeks ago, though, I was talking to my boyfriend about that concert and mentioned Soul Coughing. He has them on CD, and I guess you could say I've been converted. What's even weirder is that the same week _my_ boyfriend made me listen to them, my _sister's_ boyfriend did the same thing (she went to the show with me.) Weird! Cyndi Batson Northwestern University ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I can be reached at ------> c-batson@nwu.edu or the *new improved* e-mail address ------> cyn@tmbg.org or by phone (free when you call long-distance from work!) ------> 847-332-9052 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 15:26:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: "One More Parade" by TMBG Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE Now featuring the TMBG rarity "One More Parade" (a song from 1990's _Rubaiyat: Elektra's 40th Anniversary_) which is a cover of an old Phil Ochs song (he's the guy mentioned in "The Day") Call it soon, before it's gone!!! Ben or Been *** Note of Mission: Benjamin Scott Hauck, aka Driver--er, aka "Ben or Been," runs his Ben's Dial-A-Song from his dormroom in Westerville, Ohio, USA. Ben's Dial-A-Song is a dual-cassette answering machine, on which you can leave a message when you press the "*" button. His phone number is (614) 823-BLUE, and there is no charge for calling Ben's Dial-A-Song outside of long distance charges. Ben or Been plays stuff he considers funny, quirky, somewhat entertaining, uncommon, maybe annoying, etc. He most loves to feature those songs by They Might Be Giants that he considers rare or very hard-to-get. If you have your own collection of quirky songs or whatever, and consider yourself generous, and would love to send it to Ben or Been for his enjoyment and for possible play on Ben's Dial-A-Song, send your tape to: Ben or Been re: Ben's Dial-A-Song 10725 Otterbox Westerville, OH 43081-2006 (until the first third-part of June) Ben's Dial-A-Song has received calls from Amsterdam and New Zealand. People have left e-mails and phone messages saying how much they've loved the songs! Ben or Been hopes you can share in the fun today! @Brought to you by the Elect Ben-or-Been for President of the Digest fund. (JUST KIDDING!!!!!) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 14:43:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: John Henry on CD > And now to add some sort of TMBG content to this otherwise rambling > post...I thought of Them when I was studying for my abnormal psychology > final. See, there was this picture in my textbook in the chapter on > schizophrenia just bear with me here) of this guy sitting in the lap of > a statue, clinging onto its neck. I saw this picture and the first > thought that came to mind was "And though I once preferred a human > being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me..." > 'Twas kinda cool. > Before I read your interpretation, I thought "The Statue Got Me High". *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 15:52:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Trojan Tea Fest Subject: Re: A Whole Lotta Stuff On Thu, 2 May 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > > Alex, you went to the E-Town show, right? You shoulda picked up some cd's > while you were in the states. But, I've had to buy my They at some pretty > outrageous prices too. New Jersey is expensive. I think that we're > technically a different country as well. That would explain > Pennsyvlania's tourism motto: "America starts here". I think we're > technically part of Portugal. Actually, not all of Jersey is expensive. (trust me) I've found They for 10 bucks or less in some spots, and that was the full albums. :) And I think that's pretty damn pompous of Penn. to assume you don't have to drive through the Garden State first. (Why do we still call it the garden state? I don't see any gardens......) Oh, well. Later, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu frostburg@tmbg.org nette@tmbg.org +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 17:06:11 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: What's that blue thing doing here? >Just wanted to continue the radio thread -- I sort of randomly turned on >the radio this morning around 8:15 and was pleasantly surprised to hear >Snail Shell (on 92.1 WMAD in Madison, WI). I don't listen to the radio >that much, but I don't think they play TMBG all that often (maybe a few >times a week?). That'd be quite a bit here.. I've NEVER heard TMBG on the radio, except for the community raFrom tmbg-list-owner Thu May 2 20:06:40 1996 Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.7.1/8.7.ufp) id UAA10736 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 2 May 1996 20:06:40 -0400 Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 17:06:07 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <199605030006.RAA10870@desiree.teleport.com> X-Sender: cowgods@mail.teleport.com X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Version 1.4.4 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: DAVE'S CHART Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) >Hootie and the blowfish >+ >+ >+ >Jesus Christ >+ >+ >Dave's Mom >+ >+ >+ >The cast of friends >+ >+ >+ >TMBG >+ >+ >+ >Joe Puscas after this post Hey, I think you're a step above Spam... :) I would think the cast of friends to be higher, like right under Jesus, if not right over, even though they all suck. :) >TMBG opening for KISS. STP can't do it. They can't?!? Dang. I'd like to see Linnel in face makeup and spittindio station, which plays EVERYTHING, at one time or another... and I mean EVERYTHING. >A couple other things, while I'm at it.... At the two TMBG concerts I've >been to in Madison in the last year-plus, I noticed that a large segment >of the TMBG fan base here is, well, really young, as in high-school age. >It's a bit annoying actually but I suppose I should be understanding... I >liked Them back then too.... Any particular characteristics of TMBG fans >anywhere else? Hey! I resent that! I AM a high schooler! I've liked Them since I was in middle school! :) I don't know any in-state TMBG fans here.. don't know many fans at all. > >By the way, I can never find TMBG used stuff around here anywhere (i.e. >cd's, albums). And the stores are usually out of their discs. I don't >know if that means they don't stock them or sell out fast. >(By the way, if anyone is curious, I'm a junior at UW-Madison >majoring in Art and Political Science. My favorites other than TMBG are >1. R.E.M. 2. probably U2g blood. :) >TMBG opening for Ministry. Lets see Flans get witty with that crowd. They better have a cage built around Them, They Might be Beaten. >TMBG opening for nine inch nails. It worked for Bowie Yeah, they could do songs together. I've always wondered what Reptile would sound like with John's slightly nasal voice and a bit of accordion. >Well whatever I'd go see They/Hootie along with like 10,000 others so why >not? Well, like some other guy posted (angrily), and I've noted at it before, I'd see TMBG with about any band. I'd leave or stand around before They got on stage if it was someone I didn't like. Heck, it IS TMBG after all. :) The Almighty Cowgod "You've got a Methodist Coloring Book, and you color really well, but don't color outside the lines, or God will send you to Hell, 'cause God hates war, and God hates crime, but He really hates people who color outside the lines." - The Dead Milkmen 3. Changes about monthly... Dave Matthews >Band, Soul Coughing, Police, World Party, Beatles, Doors, etc.) All right! LOVE REM, especially the earliest stuff. U2 is great. The Almighty Cowgod "You've got a Methodist Coloring Book, and you color really well, but don't color outside the lines, or God will send you to Hell, 'cause God hates war, and God hates crime, but He really hates people who color outside the lines." - The Dead Milkmen ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 17:06:17 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Hiya. I don't know if it's been brought up before, but there's a striking resemblence between the Lincoln song, "Snowball in Hell," and the John Henry song, "Sleeping in the Flowers." Let me explain. In "Snowball in Hell," a John sings, "my fantasy is in a Xerox shop," or so I had gathered; these lyrics are not printed in the sleeve, but it's pretty plainly sung. In "Sleeping in the Flowers," a John sings, "I had a crush, copy shop clerk." I realize it's not identical, but... well, I'm just pointing it out. Haven't really thought about it much... anyone else notice this? If not, can someone find any other similarities? Or is it just another coincidence? The Almighty Cowgod "You've got a Methodist Coloring Book, and you color really well, but don't color outside the lines, or God will send you to Hell, 'cause God hates war, and God hates crime, but He really hates people who color outside the lines." - The Dead Milkmen st@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) >Antone who likes a band because they're not popular is a moron. Anyone >who thinks that anyone else could like They because They're not popular >is obvoiusly deaf. But it seems that some people's main factor of being a TMBG fan is their unpopularity. Sure, they like the music, that's why they're here.. but where would some people be IF They DID hit it big? Would they stand loyal, or would they stray, hoping to not be thought of as 'just another follower?' I know I, and most other die hard fans would, but I don't know how other people think, maybe others would not be so open minded about it. >> This list is for the advancement of TMBG, not so a bunch of losers and >> computer geeks can do something alternative > >Take your pick: >Would you rather we be a bunch of losers and computer geeks struggling >not to do anything alternative, like you? >OR >I'm sorry, I can't hear you. I have a mouse stuck in my ear. Well, I don't quite understand that second one.. but it sounds cool. :) You shouldn't struggle to be anything. Be yourself. Don't worry about popularity, fitting in, what's cool, all that. We know that. Wev're been told that. It's been drilled into our heads. But it can be tough to follow. >> I just think it's a bit insulting for Them to have to open for anyone. > >Actually They opened for Elvis Costello last year. I don't mind that at >all. Elvis Costello fans would be more open to They then Hootie fans >would. They can open for him whenever They damn well please. Darn straight, my brother! :) >Actually, NIN opened for Bowie. I went to that show with your mother. Hehe.. I think I saw you guys there! I was there with my Dad. Really. No joke. :) >> Well I'd go see They/Hootie along with like 10,000 others so why not? > >Because we'd never get any tickets. That's why we don't like the idea. >For all you people out where They never go: Wouldn't it kill you if They >finally did come around, and you couldn't get tickets because of all >those Hootie people? Nope. That couldn't happen. I would be out,waiting in front of the store the night before they sold. I did it for REM. I got great seats. Don't worry, I'd get tickets. :) And, I'd buy a shirt too. EVEN if it had hootie on it. :) The Almighty Cowgod "You've got a Methodist Coloring Book, and you color really well, but don't color outside the lines, or God will send you to Hell, 'cause God hates war, and God hates crime, but He really hates people who color outside the lines." - The Dead Milkmen ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 20:33:04 -0400 Subject: Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? In a message dated 96-05-02 20:13:22 EDT, the Cow God wrote: >I don't know if it's been brought up before, but there's a striking >resemblence between the Lincoln song, "Snowball in Hell," and the John Henry >song, "Sleeping in the Flowers." That's why I call sleeping in the flowers "The Continuing Adventures of a Snowball in Hell" :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 17:41:42 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Re: They Might Be Blowfish >Uummmmmm, unless I was doing massive drugs or something, Hootie and >the Blowfish were not at the HFS Earthday Concert. Natalie Merchant was >there and Collective Soul yes and Toad the Wet Sprocket and some other >loser bands, but there wasn't any Hootie in site at Merryweather. >Matt I'd like to say that Toad the Wet Sprocket is not even close to being a loser band and is actually pretty good. Have a Nice Day, Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net rclark@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 21:04:11 -0400 From: Bob Bird Subject: Web concert from a while back Hey gang... Ok, I have finally processed the sound files I recorded from the Web concert They had a while back. I am willing to send these files to people or upload them to an ftp or web site somewhere. The only problem is, THEY ARE HUGE FILES and I will only send them out/upload them once. If anyone wants to volunteer about 29 megabytes of disk space, I'll gladly upload them to a public site. Otherwise, I'll be mailing files out *once only* in a few days. Email all requests to me personally at mr.horrible@tmbg.org because I am temporarily unsubscribing from the list due to the fact that I AM GRADUATING!!!! and I don't yet have a new internet account. *I WILL NOT SEE ANY REQUESTS POSTED TO THE LIST/DIGEST!!!* Your mail will still reach me at the above address for the next couple of weeks, however. Here is what I have...the "garbled" notes mean that my connection was on the fritz during part of the song. But overall, I got a lot of good recordings. before the concert was cut off. 1. Ana Ng 4:36 6 megabytes. Really cool intro. Great version! Best song of the bunch. 2. She Was A Hotel Detective ('94) 3:48 5 megabytes. Pretty bad garbling during the last chorus. 3. She Was A Hotel Detective ('94) 2:49 3.7 megabytes. Garbled last chorus removed. 4. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) 2:30 3.3 megabytes. Another cool intro. Some garbling during the last half, but not bad. 5. James K. Polk 3:23 4.5 megabytes. Dialogue with Flans talking about new album (apparently includes this song). 6. Meet James Ensor 1:43 2.25 megabytes. 7. Subliminal 2:58 3.9 megabytes. These files are all in .wav format. If you want these files, send me a message at mr.horrible@tmbg.org with the numbers (1 through 6) that you want. Please make sure your provider and software can handle MIME attachments and large mail messages, because I'm only sending them out once. And if someone volunteers a site, I won't be sending them out by mail at all. Thanks, Bob bob@tmbg.org mr.horrible@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 19:08:23 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: Zima I'm sure that because I'm on the digest by the time this is posted 75 other people will have said it too, but someone asked about what TMBG song was on Zima. It the The End Of The Tour, which was dissapointing, because the advertisement claimed that it was a new song. Mark(the other Mark) (no, not that one... yeah, that one) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 13:30:01 +1200 From: blue.canary@tmbg.org (Sam Pearson.) Subject: JH on CD >From: KTUCKER3@aol.com >Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:26:18 -0400 >Subject: Re: John Henry on CD > >Where do you live? I have never had to buy a CD for that much money!! Isn't >there a Best Buy (where i found the new DMB album for $9.99 yesterday :)) >near you somewhere? >tucker Hello, the standard price for new CDs over here is $33.95 (NZ). That would be about US $23 at present. No wonder I am poor. On a TMBG note, I called Dial-a-song the other day,that is, I called the other one (ie, that one that isn't Ben's, though I called that too) and I got Flans? singing a song about being "on rat patrol". There were no instruments or anything, just Flansburgh singing. What is the story with this song anyone? About the delete disk thing, when I ordered some CDs from the info club, I got them with little round holes drilled in various places of the case. It seems that Customs drilled to check for all the illegal drugs that are known to accompany TMBG CDs. :} Although they wouldn't tell me the reasons for the drilling, I think that this is a good guess. But has nothing to do with deletes. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ sjp6@tmbg.org blue.canary@tmbg.org sjp6@waikato.ac.nz ------------------------------ From: NyQuil74@aol.com Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 22:48:47 -0400 Subject: HELP hey all....I need to know if that concert at the univ. of chicago is really free. and if they are checking people to see if they are students there. I need to know really soon. Adam ------------------------------ From: "Willy Nunn" Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 12:06:04 +0000 Subject: Schniffen Well it's (Sniff).. that time of year where I too must leave my computer and hence my e-mail behind, and therefor I must unsubscribe from the list (sniff). I'll see all you guys in the fall... As one last note, the list had been quite good about being open to everyone's oppinions and views, but recently there have been some views that seemed to establish this list as a close minded, and restricted to only those elect few "TRUE" TMBG listeners and frankly this view scares me. Hopefully when I log on again in the fall this will have smoothed itself out again.. Sorry to end on such a serious note Wilbz, the wacky wonderful weirdo, AKA, the fabulous flying freak Will nunn WPI Chem. Eng. Comp. Sci. "If it wasn't for dissapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG, Snowball in Hell www PAGE: http://www.wpi.edu/~tanis/tmbg.html ftp: chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu/pub/tmbg/ CoolTalk: TANIS@chesspieceface.res.wpi.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 21:00:59 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: i palindrome i hey everyone i requested this nifty little allias thinking it would be rejected (JKL), but to my surprise it wasnt. so here it is....... ipalindromei@tmbg.org everyone mail me. or i'll whine and cry, and hold my breath!!!!!!!!!!!! bob palindrome bob ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 22:32:21 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: Rat Patrol Hiya people, it's cortney! This message is in response to the earlier post about 'Rat Patrol' on Dial-A-Song. Well, I was one of the lucky listers who got to go to the 4-12-96 show at E-town! At the show, John Linnel announced that They were going to have an 'animal portion' in the show, and then proceeded to play Birdhouse, Snail Shell, and a new one called (yup, you guessed it!) 'Rat Patrol!' I think that this song could *possibly* be on the new album, however, *Linnel* sang it at the show, not Flansburgh (who reportedly sang it on Dial-A- Song!) Either way, it's a pretty good song, and I hope this info helped! sun and smils sun and SMILES rather! cortney ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 23:13:01 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: just a post... here's one that i dont think (i'm risking my life on this one, huh?) has been discussed... it's been on my mind for a while, ever since i was driving and listening to Flood, singing along...and on comes "We Want a Rock"... "If i _WAS_ a carpenter, i'd hammer..." have any of you proper grammar freaks out there ever caught yourselves singing "If i _WERE_...," without even thinking about it? i have only noticed several lines in all of Their songs that are grammatically incorrect...can anyone name any more? (other than obvious fragments...) i don't question the Johns' education, oh no! i am simply pointing out that (horror of horrors!) they are human too! :) respond to this, those of you having a grammar clue... (hehe and can rhyme) no really...i think it's interesting...ok, so i'm a nerd of the English language (and damn proud!), even though i AM a music major, heehee... see you all around...and to everyone unsubscribing for the summer...have a great break! love you all... --fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 23:24:46 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: just a post... > > i don't question the Johns' education, oh no! i am simply pointing out hehe oops...should be "educations" there...and i call myself a grammar freak! --fran ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 22:27:57 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: Re: I mailing you. Snowball In Hell wrote: > > You wanted mail, here it is. I know what you meant by you thought > your address would get taken. I thought that I'd never get mine, but > luckily, I was one of the first ones to apply for an address. Mine is: > John@tmbg.org > Good one, huh? I bet a few people wanted that. But I have it, so they can > all kiss my ass. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! > Sorry. Won't happen again. > > --Jack john is pretty cool i saw the girl who has ana_ng now that's really cool, mr. horrible was another good one that i have seen. anyone else have any cool alliai that theyt have seen so far ????????? ------------------------------ From: DSEEBODE@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 00:11:17 -0400 Subject: Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? actually i think it "my panacea's in a xerox shop" pan*a*cea (noun) [Latin, from Greek panakeia, from panakes all-healing, from pan- + akos remedy] First appeared 1548 : a remedy for all ills or difficulties : CURE-ALL -- pan*a*ce*an (adjective) just thought this might help your interp dave ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 23:21:07 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) On Thu, 2 May 1996, The Vonnegut Vassal wrote: > "If i _WAS_ a carpenter, i'd hammer..." > > have any of you proper grammar freaks out there ever caught yourselves > singing "If i _WERE_...," without even thinking about it? > i have only noticed several lines in all of Their songs that are > grammatically incorrect...can anyone name any more? (other than obvious > fragments...) > > respond to this, those of you having a grammar clue... (hehe and can rhyme) > no really...i think it's interesting...ok, so i'm a nerd of the English > language (and damn proud!), even though i AM a music major, heehee... > YES! I am SUCH a grammar geek!!! In fact, I guess I never even realized before that they do indeed sing "if I WAS a carpenter". But now that I think about it, yeah, you're right! You know what really irks me? It drives me insane when people can't get grammar stuff right even on big ol' signs. There is a sign on a store here in Lincoln that irritates me to no end. It says: Wednesday's are "BARGIN" Day's I'm not even going to say anything more about it. It's just--no. I'm not even gonna get started. :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 00:33:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? On Fri, 3 May 1996 DSEEBODE@aol.com wrote: > actually i think it "my panacea's in a xerox shop" You know, I just listened to it, and I believe that he's right. Take it from this Snowball In Hell. Good ear, Dave! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 00:40:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) On Thu, 2 May 1996, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > You know what really irks me? It drives me insane when people can't get > grammar stuff right even on big ol' signs. There is a sign on a store > here in Lincoln that irritates me to no end. It says: > > Wednesday's are > "BARGIN" > Day's My mother once answered an ad that said: "profreader wanted" She was the only one that noticed that they spelled "proofreader" wrong. Needless to say, she didn't get the job. --Jack ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 01:57:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) On Fri, 3 May 1996, Snowball In Hell wrote: > My mother once answered an ad that said: "profreader wanted" > She was the only one that noticed that they spelled "proofreader" wrong. > Needless to say, she didn't get the job. On the subject of weird signs, a personal favourite of mine was a sign I saw in a drycleaner's window. It read as follows: DROP YOU PANTS HERE. WE GUARANTEE SATISFACTION! I laughed till I stopped, then went home and got my camera. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 02:05:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: KitH Soundtrack A friend of mine recently bought the KitH soundtrack on tape, and as I was looking in the liner notes today, I was shocked to see that there were no credits for Spiralling Shape. The track is listed on the back along with all the other tracks, but in the fold-out, there is no mention of it. There are 17 tracks on the tape, but only 16 are given credits in the fold-out...Spiralling Shape is nowhere to be found! Is this the same for the CD insert? Does anyone have any idea why they would leave the TMBG song out of the credits?? On a slightly different note, in the past three days, on three different radio stations, I have heard three different songs that TMBG have covered (you thought I was going to say three different songs BY TMBG, didn't you?). On Tuesday, I heard the original version of Frankenstein, by the Edgar Winter Group, yesterday, it was the original version of Maybe I Know by Leslie Gore, and just tonight, they played the original version of Concrete and Clay by Unit 4(Four). It's always nice to hear one of those songs, 'cause they always make me think of TMBG. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 01:11:16 -0500 From: a boy with a crown and a sceptre? Subject: Re: KitH Soundtrack >A friend of mine recently bought the KitH soundtrack on tape, and as I >was looking in the liner notes today, I was shocked to see that there >were no credits for Spiralling Shape. The track is listed on the back >along with all the other tracks, but in the fold-out, there is no mention >of it. There are 17 tracks on the tape, but only 16 are given credits in >the fold-out...Spiralling Shape is nowhere to be found! Is this the same >for the CD insert? Does anyone have any idea why they would leave the >TMBG song out of the credits?? BANG. i've got the cd and in the liner notes there aren't any references at all to the bands, just a bunch of pictures from the movie and on the other side a bio of the Kids. the stuff about the bands in all listed under the case where the cd actually sits behind the red plastic, and tmbg are at the top of the list... paul ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-124 ******************************