Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-125 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 125 Saturday, 4 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: I mailing you. Favorite Band Voting RE: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: Zima Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) A Testimonial Dinner Liner notes on KitH soundtrack Free when you e-mail from work, or, Misc. subjects Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-124 I think I've made a mistake.. Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Re: Zima Re: I mailing you. Longines symphonette Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Re: Favorite Band Voting Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) TMBg and hootie Re: Web concert from a while back Re: Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. Re: Web concert from a while back Re: Web concert from a while back Brain Candy Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Re: Popularity Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 07:10:22 -0400 (EDT) From: "I'm Rob" Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) On Thu, 2 May 1996, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > On Thu, 2 May 1996, The Vonnegut Vassal wrote: > > > "If i _WAS_ a carpenter, i'd hammer..." > > [GRAMMAR DISCUSSION..] > > YES! I am SUCH a grammar geek!!! In fact, I guess I never even realized > > You know what really irks me? It drives me insane when people can't get > grammar stuff right even on big ol' signs. There is a sign on a store > here in Lincoln that irritates me to no end. It says: > > Wednesday's are > "BARGIN" > Day's > > I'm not even going to say anything more about it. It's just--no. I'm > not even gonna get started. :) > > --Tara WELL, I have a long tormented personal history of dealing with the language idiocies of the world. In fact I once felt that there should be a 'grammar police' who go around and make merchants make good on 'typographical' promotions. Like, am I the only one who has seen (usually on one of those big yellow signs where you can add each letter...you know, they're portable and often have flashing-light arrows at the top?) Anyway, I've seen promotions like for ".99 c" [help! there's no "cents" sign on my keyboard!!! I guess it's an "option" character, but it would never show up on UNIX! Well, anyway, it's supposed to read "point-ninety-nine" and then the cents symbol. I feel like I've say any number of inept combinations of $.99c etc.] It sort of reminds me of something I saw Andy Rooney do. [...I know, Andy Rooney...] Anyway, but it was not just funny-annoying, it was almost like social activism. Like why is it that gasoline is permitted to be sold at a price that is a big scam? (with the .9 at the end of the price) So, he went to a gas station where it was $99.9/gal, pumped a gallon, got out his dollar and began clamoring for change. Boy, that Andy Rooney! Uh-Oh, I'm starting to realize that this is my first post and has broken the rules by not mentioning TMBG -- but i LOVE tmbg, really! and, I'm going to get an alias as soon as i can think a good one up. And, does anybody have information about concerts in the NY, Philadelphia areas? The best concert I've seen in my life was a tmbg concert (really). [though i'm sure that the company, the situation, etc had lots to do with it -- doesn't that always?] Anyway, i plead that my post is okay, because i WAS following four posts on the subject! (Sorry for mentioning Andy Rooney -- maybe i should identify that I'm not in my seventies, but 24.) OK- my name is ROB. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 07:53:38 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: I mailing you. Bob Schroer wrote: > john is pretty cool i agree with this statement completely...thank you... not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 10:22:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Favorite Band Voting Well, I have decided to extend the voting deadline. It was supposed to end 2 days ago, but I don't have enough votes. PLEASE vote, because otherwise I will NOT report the findings. This is due to the fact that the top few bands would be in a tie for 1-5 place, with 1-3 having 3 votes each, 4th having 2 votes and 5th all having 1 vote apiece. If anyone notices something wrong with this, it's that 3 votes should not place something in the top spot, and that it's supposed to be a top TEN list, not five. So, just vote. So far, 45 people have, and I'd hate to dissappoint them because the rest of you are complete slack-asses. Look, this is totally ridiculous. I have to yell at you to get you to vote. Just... if you don't want to vote, don't, but if you're thinking that enough other people voted, it's not true. The max number of votes for the same band is four. Whatever, the new deadline is May 17th. If, at that time, I don't have enough votes, I'll take the hint and forget about it. Oh, and to those of you who included personal messages your emailed votes, I haven't responded because I just put all the messages in one folder and don't know which ones have stuff in them. Once voting ends, I'll respond. So, at least consider voting... or something. Oh, and if you do plan on voting, remember, just vote for your 3 favorite bands (not including TMBG). Thanks, Ryan Staib ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Date: Fri, 03 May 96 08:42:00 P You said that wednesday's are bargin days. Where did you get that saying? Because in my city, there is a store that has that painted on the side. wow, pretty bizzare! Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Date: Fri, 03 May 96 08:42:00 P While on the subject of favorite signs, Up by my town there is this little hick community, you know all nice and proper. any ways, right when you drive into this town, there is a sign buy the building. The windows are all dark, and there is a neon light going some where in the building. Looks really scanky. and the sign says STRIP SHOP at first I found this very funny. the sign then says buffing and refurbashing of furrniture. So it's not really a strip shop. OH well Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 09:55:55 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) On Fri, 3 May 1996, I'm Rob wrote: > > > Uh-Oh, I'm starting to realize that this is my first post and has broken > the rules by not mentioning TMBG -- but i LOVE tmbg, really! and, I'm > going to get an alias as soon as i can think a good one up. And, does > anybody have information about concerts in the NY, Philadelphia areas? > The best concert I've seen in my life was a tmbg concert (really). > [though i'm sure that the company, the situation, etc had lots to do with > it -- doesn't that always?] > Anyway, i plead that my post is okay, because i WAS following four posts > on the subject! (Sorry for mentioning Andy Rooney -- maybe i should > identify that I'm not in my seventies, but 24.) > OK- > my name is ROB. > > Don't worry, your post is fine. TMBG-loving grammar geeks unite! :) In case you haven't yet noticed, this list is a bit more open to not-directly-relevant stuff than a lot of lists or discussion groups might be. And that's just the way we like it. :) ("On the list we call our home, there's lots of room to roam..." ok, never mind) Anyway, Rob, welcome to the looney bin. :) --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Zima Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 11:39:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of WorldWide Skull: > I'm sure that because I'm on the digest by the time this is >posted 75 other people will have said it too, but someone asked about >what TMBG song was on Zima. It the The End Of The Tour, which was >dissapointing, because the advertisement claimed that it was a new song. Since the Zima promotion occurred shortly after the release of John Henry, it would have been a "new song" at the time. -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 11:40:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Snowball In Hell: >> actually i think it "my panacea's in a xerox shop" > >You know, I just listened to it, and I believe that he's right. Take it >from this Snowball In Hell. Good ear, Dave! Or eyes, as this is how it's listed on the lyrics sheet, if memory serves. -CB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 11:41:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Tara Lynne Weber: >might be. And that's just the way we like it. :) ("On the list we call >our home, there's lots of room to roam..." ok, never mind) I think this would make a fine quote for the T-shirt project. -CB (now cab@tmbg.org and sirtaxi@tmbg.org as well.) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 12:57:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: A Testimonial Dinner Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm a little late on this thread, but...I just bought the _A Testimonial Dinner_ CD (XTC tribute) yesterday. I'm likin' it! It's been playing for quite some time now today as I'm in the process of moving. I can't remember who said they thought Their version of 25 O' Clock was a little weak, but I have to disagree. Personally, I thought they did that whole Dukes of Stratosphear retro thing very well. And I've had Joe Jackson's "Statue of Liberty" (Graham Maby rocks!) and Spacehog's "Senses Working Overtime" alternately running through my head all day. :) Great CD! --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 14:01:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Spiralling Shape Subject: Liner notes on KitH soundtrack Hmm... thats weird. The copy the station owns has the credits. You have to take the CD out of the case and look there. The TMBG credits are at the very top of the case. Craig Still one e-mail address: whyte@trenton.edu :( ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 13:14:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: Free when you e-mail from work, or, Misc. subjects Hey all... > Did you go to the show at the Barrymore March 10 or 11, 1995? I wsa in > Green Bay at the time and drove down for the show. I had never heard Soul > Coughing before, and found them really eery on stage. The singer had > birdlike mannerisms. What did you think? I was indeed there... my first live TMBG experience (it was March 11, btw). I do remember thinking they (Soul Coughing) were pretty bizarre, but enjoying their weird sampled sound and their recurring chant of "Candy Bar! Candy Bar!" (Only later when I got the CD did I realize that was probably derived from their lyric "Your words burn the air like the names of candy bars.") I _don't_ really remember Doughty's mannerisms, though. But I'll take your word for it. :) Speaking of Soul Coughing, has anyone heard their new disc? How is it? >>I noticed that a large segment >>of the TMBG fan base here is, well, really young, as in high-school age. >>It's a bit annoying actually but I suppose I should be understanding... I >>liked Them back then too.... Any particular characteristics of TMBG fans >>anywhere else? > >Hey! I resent that! I AM a high schooler! I've liked Them since I was in >middle school! :) I don't know any in-state TMBG fans here.. don't know >many fans at all. I guess I should have made my point more clear... at the concert last year (the one with Soul Coughing opening), there were some major problems in the "pit" with people pushing through to the front and basically fighting throughout the show. Flansburgh actually said something about it on stage (I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was something like, "We didn't come all the way from Brooklyn to see a bunch of people fighting." That was the gist of it anyway.) So I suppose I'm unfairly blaming the younger fans for that, but it seems like they're (in general) the ones who are trying to get up to the front [when you can see just fine from a seat in the 3rd or 4th row, and actually have some room to dance around]. Okay, sue me for being slightly prejudiced against people 4-7 years younger than I am.... I was more annoyed by the pushing than the presence of younger fans, to be honest. >You shouldn't struggle to be anything. Be yourself. Don't worry about >popularity, fitting in, what's cool, all that. The most sage words of wisdom I've seen on this list yet. Damn, TMBG fans are cool. Hey, they're playing "Dear God" by XTC on the radio as I'm typing this... I guess WMAD is a relatively cool radio station by most standards. I forgot to mention 10,000 Maniacs as one of my third-favorite bands. Another one of those bands I discovered that I liked only after they broke up.... I was going to make a point to tie this all together, but now I can't remember what it was. Oh yeah, that's right... I was going to say that that concert at the Barrymore in 95 was mentioned in the newsletter, too, since it was the last concert Soul Coughing opened for TMBG... Their version of "Spy" with _both_ full bands was... was... practically orgasmic. Couldn't think of any other word, it was so incredible. Okay, enough babbling.... Waiting for the new album.... Jason "I have been given the freedom / Jason L. Gohlke to do as I see fit" / jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu - R.E.M. / bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu http://arch.housing.wisc.edu/~bjorn ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 13:01:14 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? On Fri, 3 May 1996, Chris Bongaarts wrote: > In the immortal words of Snowball In Hell: > > >> actually i think it "my panacea's in a xerox shop" > > > >You know, I just listened to it, and I believe that he's right. Take it > >from this Snowball In Hell. Good ear, Dave! > > Or eyes, as this is how it's listed on the lyrics sheet, if memory > serves. > Actually, I think that verse is one of those mysterious missing TMBG lyrics that isn't printed on the liner. But I do remember reading somewhere that it is indeed "panacea." --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 14:20:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Trojan Tea Fest Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) On Thu, 2 May 1996, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > You know what really irks me? It drives me insane when people can't get > grammar stuff right even on big ol' signs. There is a sign on a store > here in Lincoln that irritates me to no end. It says: > > Wednesday's are > "BARGIN" > Day's > There was a bakery down the road from me that used to advertise "Oat Brain Muffins". Mmmmmm!! Brain-smackin' good!!! Later, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu frostburg@tmbg.org nette@tmbg.org +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 13:38:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > You shouldn't struggle to be anything. Be yourself. Don't worry about > popularity, fitting in, what's cool, all that. We know that. Wev're been > told that. It's been drilled into our heads. But it can be tough to follow. This special edition of the "After School Special" is brought to you by: "Pay Attention To Me", opening Friday at theaters everywhere, and your friends at the They Might Be Giants mailing list. Howdy, ya'll. Frank ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 14:50:12 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: Re: Hootie and the disciples of evil > From zedlers@metronet.com Fri May 3 14:48:31 1996 > Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 13:38:48 -0500 (CDT) BRAVO!!! Good show, old chap!!! drg > > I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > > > You shouldn't struggle to be anything. Be yourself. Don't worry about > > popularity, fitting in, what's cool, all that. We know that. Wev're been > > told that. It's been drilled into our heads. But it can be tough to follow. > > This special edition of the "After School Special" is brought to you by: > "Pay Attention To Me", opening Friday at theaters everywhere, and your > friends at the They Might Be Giants mailing list. > > Howdy, ya'll. > > Frank > ------------------------------ From: Yaegers@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 15:24:09 -0400 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-124 a few related things... a few months ago I was at my high school's (Mount Saint Joseph H.S., Maryland) homecoming football game. Myself and a few friends departed about ten minutes before the game was over, and as we walked through the parking lot noticed something. Something interesting. A license plate belonging to a red Honda Accord, maybe an '87, that said "tmbg." Amazed, we waited by the car for the owner to return, in order to meet this fellow They freakoid. We waited. He came. We didn't know what to say, and said nothing. So, I just wanted to post this. Maybe it's someone on the list. Maybe not. I just thought it was interesting. If anyone has any info on the concert in Fairfax, Va. on the 7th of June, please email me or post it. I'd like to see Them again. I need to. Bought Braincandy the other day and can't stop listening to Spiraling Shape... I'll shut up now, I'm going out for some happiness pie. Peter "Macho Man" Yaeger ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Subject: I think I've made a mistake.. Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 20:24:19 +0100 (BST) Hello.. Does anyone *out there* happen to know where the shouting sample on "See The Constellation" comes from? I did recall from somewhere in the darkest recesses of my mind that it was "help" backwards. I ask, because I feel I may have confused vast numbers of innocent Londoners (or maybe not). Y'see, a few weeks ago, GLR, the best radio station in Britain, played said song. After I had picked myself off my bedroom floor, the DJ was asking if any anorak knew that bit's origins. Naturally, I phoned in. However, I was not taken seriously!! A rival theory was that it was from a David Bowie song. Peter Curran, the DJ, then said that it was an untraceable, "upright, uptight Eighties yelp". Can anyone put me right on this? *Thought for Today* "How can you be alienated, without first having been connected?" Barthelme. Nicola (who's back out here on her windy hill in the Midlands once again) ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 16:26:25 -0400 Subject: Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? In a message dated 96-05-03 00:11:17 EDT, you write: << actually i think it "my panacea's in a xerox shop" pan*a*cea (noun) >> I've heard that before, but that is not what I hear, when I hear the song... oh, my apoligies to everybody who bashed me for liking Sarah-what's-her-names version of "Dear God" I haven't actually heard the original and when she's not ruining something else that re-make is pretty darn cool... something else... Mike Rose, what happened to the "there's fun in atomic energy" posts I'm missing them right about now... that and Tracy's top ten's... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 14:48:42 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: Re: Zima On Fri, 3 May 1996, Chris Bongaarts wrote: > In the immortal words of WorldWide Skull: > > > I'm sure that because I'm on the digest by the time this is > >posted 75 other people will have said it too, but someone asked about > >what TMBG song was on Zima. It the The End Of The Tour, which was > >dissapointing, because the advertisement claimed that it was a new song. > > Since the Zima promotion occurred shortly after the release of John > Henry, it would have been a "new song" at the time. True, but I think I remember hearing something like: "Previously un-released tracks by (other bands)..They Might Be Giants..(more other bands)." Then again it was last summer, and I automatically disregarded the ad because I would have had to drink Zima to get it. One more thing.. Everyone says that they've never gotten anything from TMB Productions, but I became a member last Spring, and I've gotten both newsletters since them.. ON TIME, if you can imagine that. Everything I've ordered has come, sometimes late, but it has come. But since I'm in Utah, TMB is in NY, and people in the east have been saying that they never get anything, I don't think it has anything to do with locality. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 16:18:24 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: Re: I mailing you. John Lambert wrote: > > Bob Schroer wrote: > > > > Snowball In Hell wrote: > > > > > I know what you meant by you thought > > your address would get taken. I thought that I'd never get mine, but > > luckily, I was one of the first ones to apply for an address. Mine is: > > John@tmbg.org > > > > john is pretty cool i saw the girl who has ana_ng now that's really cool, > > mr. horrible was another good one that i have seen. anyone else have any > > cool alliai that theyt have seen so far ????????? > > ohhhh ohhh! i haven't found one that i could use yet, but the one i used > for my name went through!!!! johnl@tmbg.org is me!!!!! i can't seem to > find a nickname tho! > > not just another john how about dilweed@tmbg.org????? just kidding buddy have a good weekend. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:20:28 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Longines symphonette I was in the salvation army today with some friends. When I was flipping through the records I found something from the longines symphonette. It had wooly-bully, surfin' bird and a purple people eater song I've never heard before plus lots of other stuff. I thought this was cool enough to share with you guys. Unfortunately, I don't have a record player or I would have bought it (25 cents cheap!!!) ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ? "Spring time, is on my mind. Flowers blooming, all the time. Smell the ? ? roses, smell the grass. Old man winter, can kiss my ass." - Spinal Tap ? ? ? ? "Today your love. Tomorrow the world." - The Ramones ? ? ? ? M.C.I. ? ? or baumi@tmbg.org ? ? or baumi@alleg.edu ? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:48:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Trojan Tea Fest Subject: Re: Snowball in the Flowers? Sleeping in Hell? You miss Tracy's additions to the list? Well, she's done now.... I think I'll take over from here..... TOP TEN DISCONTINUED TMBG THREADS FOR THE SUMMER OF 96 10. Flesh Fest. This, and any possiblity of seeing Linnell's bare behind (ooh!) has gone straight out the window. 9. Atomic Energy. See: "Why Does The Sun Shine?" for more detail. 8. Toilet Paper: Does it go over the top, or from down below? (oh, sorry - that's a discontinued Ann Landers thread.) 7. Craig B. - does he REALLY look like Flanny, or is it just me? 6. Tracy's top ten list - a fitting demise...... ;) 5. What the heck is the name of the new album, and has Superfueled been shot down in flames, crashing and destroying the scenery, possibly landing on me right after I realize that yes, I did pass all of my final exams, and I would be able to come back to college, and I've suddenly acquired a life, but it doesn't matter 'cause I've been squashed by a discontinued thread, and....... Whoa, settle down, Beavis!!!! Uh, ok. 4. The ending of long tangents. (see above) 3. Flanny and the Blowfish. 'Nuff said. 2. Radio stations all around the world simultaneously suck. And the number one discontinued TMBG thread for the summer of 96...... 1. Is it just me, or was that Linnel in a dress in the background of that Kids in the Hall movie? Later, babes!!! 'Nette, the uninspired (now I'm sad & tired.... JCS) +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu frostburg@tmbg.org nette@tmbg.org +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 14:51:28 -0700 From: Spudster Subject: Re: Favorite Band Voting Ryan Staib wrote: > > Well, I have decided to extend the voting deadline. It was supposed > to end 2 days ago, but I don't have enough votes. PLEASE vote, because > otherwise I will NOT report the findings. This is due to the fact that > the top few bands would be in a tie for 1-5 place, with 1-3 having 3 > votes each, 4th having 2 votes and 5th all having 1 vote apiece. If > anyone notices something wrong with this, it's that 3 votes should not > place something in the top spot, and that it's supposed to be a top TEN > list, not five. So, just vote. So far, 45 people have, and I'd hate to > dissappoint them because the rest of you are complete slack-asses. Look, > this is totally ridiculous. I have to yell at you to get you to vote. > Just... if you don't want to vote, don't, but if you're thinking that > enough other people voted, it's not true. The max number of votes for the > same band is four. Whatever, the new deadline is May 17th. If, at that > time, I don't have enough votes, I'll take the hint and forget about it. > Oh, and to those of you who included personal messages your emailed > votes, I haven't responded because I just put all the messages in one > folder and don't know which ones have stuff in them. Once voting ends, > I'll respond. So, at least consider voting... or something. Oh, and if > you do plan on voting, remember, just vote for your 3 favorite bands (not > including TMBG). > > Thanks, Ryan Staib 1. They Might Be Giants 2. Frank Black 3. Enya well rounded I'd say -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:28:41 -0500 (EST) > > Anyway, I've seen promotions like for ".99 c" > Heh, and I once saw a sign on a store in Kokomo advertising a "Buy One Get One Sale" (I wonder what their normal policy is?). And, although I don't teach English, I often have grammar reviews in my classes (e.g., "Our Friend, the Apostrophe"). I guess that makes me the worst kind of grammar geek (especially if you're a student!) m@t ---It's *cheese*, Gromit!--- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 18:34:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Helene Subject: TMBg and hootie I don't think it would make any difference if TMBG and hootie were to play together... the reason is, in general, nobody cares about the opening bands... last summer I saw hootie in concert, a free show how could I refuse... The band that opened for them was called Dillion Fences, to this day I have not heard anything from, of, or about that band... and I'm sure no one else has heard of this band either... so, see it doesn't matter... we just would know better, and instead of just arriving on time, and getting caught in traffic, we'd leave early, to make sure to see the opening band, and leave early, since there really is no point in seeing Hootie live anyways... Here's a scene You're in the backseat laying down The windows wrap around To the sound of travel and the engine All you hear is time stand still and travel And feel such piece and absolute |\ _,,,---,,_ The stillness still that doesn't end zzz. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_. But slowly drifts into sleep |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-` The stars are the greatest thing you'll ever see '---''(_/--' `-'\_) -rem ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 19:31:26 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Web concert from a while back >FILES and I will only send them out/upload them once. If anyone wants to >volunteer about 29 megabytes of disk space, I'll gladly upload them to a >public site. Otherwise, I'll be mailing files out *once only* in a few I will volunteer my Dragonfire account for part of the upload (1 or 2 songs). The URL is in my .sig. Can anyone else volunteer space for other pieces of the concert? -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 16:52:26 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Re: Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. >If a tree fell on Forest would anybody hear him? >Nahh because he's Gump he's Gump he's Gump, he might be dead! >blah Ha, you've got one person laughing! Have a Nice Day, Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net rclark@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 19:07:08 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: Re: Web concert from a while back On Fri, 3 May 1996, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > >FILES and I will only send them out/upload them once. If anyone wants to > >volunteer about 29 megabytes of disk space, I'll gladly upload them to a > >public site. Otherwise, I'll be mailing files out *once only* in a few > > I will volunteer my Dragonfire account for part of the upload (1 or 2 > songs). The URL is in my .sig. Can anyone else volunteer space for other > pieces of the concert? I volunteer an account with enough space for the whole concert. I got 914 megs of space left now... I'll setup an account so mr.horrible can log in and upload it to our server. I'll just place it on a webpage or something... --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 20:47:00 -0400 From: Bob Bird Subject: Re: Web concert from a while back At 07:07 PM 5/3/96 -0500, you wrote: >I volunteer an account with enough space for the whole concert. I got >914 megs of space left now... I'll setup an account so mr.horrible can >log in and upload it to our server. I'll just place it on a webpage or >something... > >--Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! I will accept your offer, Rick. I'm actually in the process of getting a Dragonfire account myself, but it's not big enough, and I'd rather keep the files all in one place if possible. Thanks to all who responded (there were quite a few), I will be sending messages to all of you (as well as to the list) when the final address is set. If you ABSOLUTELY can't use ftp or www, I may still mail them out, if you can provide a legitimate reason. However, it won't be as high priority. Hope you all enjoy the power of They Might Be Giants live... Bob mr.horrible@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: NyQuil75@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 22:17:29 -0400 Subject: Brain Candy Hi all...I was just looking thru the paper today to see where Brain Candy was going to be on this weekend and I couldn't find it anywhere. The movie is out isn't it? I really wanna hear Spiralling Shape. (and maybe even watch the rest of the movie too) And now for something completely different... ok I keep hearing different things about this concert at the U of Chicago. I need to know soon if this thing really is free and whether or not they are letting just anyone in. Also I was just wondering if there is anyone else on this list that lives in or close to Springfield Illinois. um well I guess that's about it for now...and stuff adam aka driver ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 22:26:23 -0400 (EDT) > In the immortal words of Tara Lynne Weber: > > >might be. And that's just the way we like it. :) ("On the list we call > >our home, there's lots of room to roam..." ok, never mind) > > I think this would make a fine quote for the T-shirt project. Here here! I second Chris's nomination that Tara's quote be on the shirt, good quote there! Matt (the smiling one ) -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 00:32:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: Re: Proud to be a grammar geek!! :) > There was a bakery down the road from me that used to advertise "Oat > Brain Muffins". Mmmmmm!! Brain-smackin' good!!! Thare's a seafood restaurant in my town that advertizes its special "Filet Of Soil" Insert your own joke here. --Jack ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 00:39:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Popularity > but i think it'd be better off if they stayed less-er known, with small, > easy-to get-into concerts, etc > > what do the rest of you think? I think TMBG shows have already gotten way out of hand. The last time I saw them (approx. 2 months ago at Toad's Place), was easily one of the worst shows I've seen. (Though not THE worst.) The place was completely packed, which made avoiding dim-witted slammers a pain and a half. As for the intimate setting, I've always gotten the impression that the Johns played AT the crowd rather that TO the crowd. I think they're as sick of the schmoes that infest their shows as I am. Of course, this was an unusually bad show. I've been lucky enough to see the boys at a few great shows. But that was a (relatively) long time ago. Lately, John and John have dropped much lower on my list of must-see acts. -Slacker Ng (who knows that any band who can fill clubs across the country ain't unpopular). ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-125 ******************************