Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-128 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 128 Tuesday, 7 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Stuff Flame Bait 2 Things Re: If I were... Re: happy RE: B-52s/It/Id Re: new, hot info on the U of C concert Raymond Scott--ALL HAIL! Re: If I wer... Re: Stuff Re: new, hot info on the U of C concert Tmbg Story A bunch of stuff Re: Stuff I'm sorry... i am irate SHIRT! Re: Popularity Re: Stuff TMBG Concert U of C concert......more information Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-124 The What? got me high?! Weird Al a TMBG fan? Re: Weird Al a TMBG fan? Dead in a yearbook Re: Weird Al a TMBG fan? bands Bore or Bores Hi there fellow TMBG fans... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 07:49:24 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: Stuff Dear: [ ] sir [x] clueless one [x] twit [ ] great one on campus [ ] madam [x] dweeb [x] twerp [ ] comrade [x] Elvis [ ] moon beam [ ] boor [ ] Obergruppenfuehrer [ ] citoyen [ ] Geek [ ] Nick Mirov [ ] cur You are being flamed BECAUSE: [x] you repeatedly initiated incoherent, flaky, and mindless threads [ ] you repeatedly posted to the same thread that you just posted to [x] you continued a boring useless stupid thread [x] you are apparently under compulsion to post to every thread [x] you SCREAMED! (used all caps) [x] you posted an excessively large message [x] you posted some sort of crap that doesn't belong on this list [ ] you threatened others with physical harm [ ] you repeatedly assumed unwarranted moral or intellectual superiority [x] you are under the misapprehension that this list is your preserve [ ] you are posting an anonymous attack [x] you have repeatedly shown lack of humor [x] you did not even use correct language [x] you are a bunghole [x] your wife is a gap-toothed hillbilly [x] you dared to assume I might play racquetball with you [x] you wouldn't know TMBG from a hole in the ground [x] you probably think being flamed is sexy! [x] you listen to "You Might Be A Redneck..." jokes [x] you once dated Marge Schott & Schottzie II [x] you are secretly in love with M.C. Hammer [x] you are related to Lurch (Paul!!! hahaha) [x] you suck [x] you suck badly [x] you are a freakin' weirdo! > On Sun, 5 May 1996, Bob Schroer wrote > > -------- > > hate MTV so much, stop watching it. > > > > -Slacker Ng > > > > AMEN BROTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > ------------------------------ > I'm flaming you too you two-teethed booger-picking MORON!!!!! Bite me!!! hahahhahahahahaha!!!!!!!! John!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Flame Bait Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 08:57:17 -0400 (EDT) Ok, one form letter flame I could let slip, two is too much. Such things don't get back at people, they make 500 people read something they probably didn't want to see. Let's try and keep this a friendly and civilized list. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 09:36:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: 2 Things Ben or Been here. I need to try to resolve two things. NUMBER ONE: Jack, the infamous Snowball in Hell, wrote in reference to my correction of the "Your Racist Friend" lyric ("I know politics bore you" ---> "I know politics bores you"), that because the "you" in the lyric is plural, "bore" is the correct usage of the verb. No, I disagree still. Your observation has an easily made flaw. Let's expand on the sentence, assuming that the singer by the word "politics" refers to something *like* the presidential campaign or the political parties or whatever (but does not necessarily refer to these specific examples): "I know politics bore you[.]" EXPANDED TO "I know [that] politics bore you[.]" EXTRACTING THE CLAUSE "Politics bore you." SUBSTITUTING A SINGULAR PREDICATE: SUBSTITUTING A PLURAL PREDICATE: "Politics bore the dog." "Politics bore the dogs." From this flow, you may notice that neither sentence is awkward, even though one has a singular predicate and the other has a plural. From this observation, I conclude that the predicate does not influence the conjugation of the verb in this sentence. However, the subject ("politics") influences it. Watch: EXTRACTING THE CLAUSE "Politics bore you." SUBSTITUTING A SINGULAR SUBJECT: SUBSTITUTING A PLURAL PREDICATE: "The dog bore you." "The dogs bore you." The singular subject example does not sound right. The problem with the original line "I know politics bore you" is that usually the word "politics" takes a singular verb ("bores") and only in cases when referring to something divisible (a "politic") would the word "politics" take a plural verb ("bore"). To clarify further, substitute the words "Economics" or "Robotics." If you question this, please drop me an e-mail. NUMBER TWO: Frankenberry said that I need to "quit with the racial slurs," referring to a message in which I said "Poncho and Pablo are Goldsteins, not Bernsteins." Frank, where did I make a racial slur??? I'm confused. I did not intend to offend, nor do I see the objectionable statement. Please clarify for me so I don't do it again!!! By the above sentence, I was correcting myself, not trying to make a Jewish classification. Thanks, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 96 10:11 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: If I were... The LWFAP (00083933@bigred.unl.edu) wrote on Mon, May 6: (grammar discourse snipped...) >BTW, "Runaway" is on the radio right now. This song just hasn't been the >same for me since hearing it on Stumpbox. =) Oh, speaking of Runaway, >this may start another tangent, but does anyone else remember some >mid-80's band who did a cover of Runaway, and they had this video with >dinosaurs playing electric guitars and singing the song? This has been >driving me crazy, because I seem to be the only one who remembers it, >although it's only a hazy memory. > >=) Kylee yup, i remember that. it's a perk of having a mind like a sponge for useless trivia. i do believe that that was Eric Carmen, although i may be way off... i know it was a hispanic-american (was that sufficiently PC?) who performed it. pretty awesome claymation there. :) well, give me a few hours to mull this over. i second guess myself. -j.l. this is the vehicle, these were the people, you let them go... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 11:19:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Mike Rose Subject: Re: happy On Sun, 5 May 1996, Matthew James wrote: > Oh th Johns would be so proud, Polyester 101 just played Disco Inferno, > a tune they supposedly covered (according to Stumpbox) > Does anyone know why See the Constellation (I think it's that) is on > Stumpbox? I've never known this to be a cover. Rhythm SectionWant Ad > is on there too but only part of it and I'm assuming it's just > the next tune in line after that particular cover. I love that song > live though! (and on CD as well). > Matt Hey there, as far as I know Phil had to leave Constellation on there cause the song that precedes it (I forget off hand which song it is) continues after Constellation and he would have had to leave the end part out otherwise. I'm kind of glad he did, actually, it's a good version. I forget if this was posted here already but phil is working on a Stumpbox II. I know I should be listening to TMBG right now but instead I'm playing Yello's 1980-1985 compilation, it is so great. Anybody else like this? Mike 2 stories to be found in the bowels of Mr. Flippy, http://yucc.yorku.ca/~alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 11:34:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Snowball In Hell Subject: RE: B-52s/It/Id On Mon, 6 May 1996, Little Woman From Another Place wrote: > Would you believe I actually have a collection of Falco CD's??? (It's a > _long_ story!) I think I'm probably the only one in the country! HEY! You're not the only one one with a lot of Falco cds. If my friend Darius (not from Hootie and the Blowfish) heard you say that, he'd rip your spleen out. He's a rabid Falco fan. > Doch ihn liebten alle Frauen > Und jedes rief, "Come on and rock me, Amadeus..." Oh, is that what they are? I just meant that I finally figured out that he was saying "Rock me, Amadeus" and not "Eat me, I'm a danish". --Jack, who contrary to popular belief, does not think that girls are yucky. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: new, hot info on the U of C concert Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 13:47:16 -0500 (CDT) From: amy # Hey guys! I just found out some info on the U of C concert on May 18th. # My friend that goes there says that tickets go on sale tomorrow (monday) for # $5.00 (for students). He doesn't think that they will be checking IDs. I # hope that other Midwesterners get tickets, because I'll see ya at the show! # (my friend is getting tickets for me). Hope that this helps!! Well.. this midwesterner is fairly unhappy that she doens't have tickets _and_ doesn't have a way of getting tickets right now. I know they are selling to students for $5.. I'm willing to pay more. can anyone help me out? ..amy ----- Amy Ryan (eighmi@uiuc.edu) ----- http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/eighmi ----- -- never have expectations. keep one foot planted firmly on the ground. let -- the other one roam. no sense squashing all of your hopes... just half of them. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 14:21:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Raymond Scott--ALL HAIL! Organization: Meharry Medical College YES! Everyone who is a true fan of TMBG will go bonkers over the music of Raymond Scott and his _six_-member Raymond Scott Quintette: this is a collection not to be missed, so get it quick! Get your record store clerk to look him up in PhonoLog or whatever and buy it! Strictly instrumental, this man was a genius composer (he composed on his quintette) and waaay ahead of his time. Although his music was adapted by the incomparable Carl Stalling for use in early Warner Bros Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons, Raymond Scott never knew his music would end up as such. After discovering him a few years ago, I wrote him to speak of my admiration for his music. But his wife wrote back, explaining that Raymond Scott had suffered a number of strokes which had left him too paralyzed to write. Then the CD producer phoned me, and our chat sealed me in the book of Raymond Scott forever fans! __________________________ ____________________ / | \ | Keith Hyman | this space | | Nashville TN USA | intentionally | | hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu | left blank | \__________________________|____________________/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 16:58:43 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: If I wer... At 09:28 AM 5/5/96 EDT, you wrote: > > On a side note regarding musicians and grammar, I remember seeing > a piece on "Information Society" on MTV (how long ago was THAT!) > where the singer said he was going to take up a cause to stop > the use of pretentious spelling. E.g, shoppe. > Of course, my memory fails me alot lately... I'd have to say that that idea is a little bit left of centre. BlueDawg, who is going to go and drive his Jeep with a 4.0 litre engine in it. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I remember my first sexual encounter because I kept the recipe."--Jeffery Dahmer ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 16:37:52 -0700 From: Bob Schroer Subject: Re: Stuff No. 10 Can of Steam wrote: > > Dear: > > [ ] sir [ ] clueless one [ ] twit [ ] great one on campus > [ ] madam [ ] dweeb [ ] twerp [ ] comrade > [ ] Elvis [ ] moon beam [ ] boor [ ] Obergruppenfuehrer > [x] citoyen [ ] Geek [ ] Nick Mirov [ ] cur > > You are being flamed because: > > [ ] you repeatedly initiated incoherent, flaky, and mindless threads > [ ] you repeatedly posted to the same thread that you just posted to > [ ] you continued a boring useless stupid thread > [x] you are apparently under compulsion to post to every thread > [ ] you posted a piece riddled with profanities > [x] you SCREAMED! (used all caps) > [ ] you posted an excessively large message > [ ] you posted some sort of crap that doesn't belong on this list > [ ] you posted a "don't break the chain for good luck" chain letter > [ ] you posted the inanely stupid 'Make Money Fast' article > [ ] you tried in some other way to use this list for personal gain > [ ] you made a bigoted statement(s) > [ ] you threatened others with physical harm > [ ] you repeatedly assumed unwarranted moral or intellectual superiority > [ ] you are under the misapprehension that this list is your preserve > [ ] you are posting an anonymous attack > [ ] you have repeatedly shown lack of humor > [ ] you did not even use correct language > > On Sun, 5 May 1996, Bob Schroer wrote > > -------- > > > P.S. If you hate MTV so much, stop watching it. If you don't see it, > > > then it can't annoy you. It's the last place you want to go to hear > > > about good music anyway. > > > > > > > > masses (although the recent string of soundtrack offerings is quite > > > disheartening). And, good music is good music, regardless of who listens > > > to it. > > > > > > -Slacker Ng > > > > > > > > > > > AMEN BROTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > --------------------------------------- > > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% > Jason Weiner *"I took a wrong turn of events. > Stanford University * A wrong fork at the situation." > discord@leland.stanford.edu * -Glass Eye, "Come Back" > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% excuse me!!! i subscribed to the list to talk about THEM. i am under compulsion to post whichever threads catch my interset and i feel like responding to. perhaps you should look into flaming yourself for posting this and wastong everyone on the lists time. bob palindrome bob ------------------------------ From: KAACoolGuy@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 17:43:15 -0400 Subject: Re: new, hot info on the U of C concert well im a midwesterner whose going with amy on this one it not fair i want tickets i am willing to pay more help me if you can, (aka) kurt ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Tmbg Story Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 18:40:18 -0400 (EDT) A couple of days ago I was working on the web site while at work. A co-worked of mine noticed (oops) and said he had something for me. Next day he comes in with a black and white picture of the two John's autographed by both of them. Apparently he worked stage crew for the university for their last show and wasn't a big fan, so I get the picture! Some times it pays to be in the right place at the right time! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Justin W. Smith" Subject: A bunch of stuff Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 18:08:14 -0500 Hey. This is a whole bunch of stuff I've been wanting to post but never = got around to. 1) I've found some conflicting history. One source says that Flansburgh = used to work as a designer for Conde Nast, while another says he was a = people counter at Grand Central Station. Which is correct? 2) What is with the 'Info Club' advertised inside the CDs? I've sent in = to it about ten times since 1988, and still haven't seen a thing. I've = tried sending $2 (the early CDs), SASEs (the later CDs), and nothing = (John Henry). I even left a message on Dial-A-Song! 3) Fingertips can be shuffled into 51 quintillion variations! Hear then = all! 4) My local Taco Bell had "We Have Ticks!" on their sign once! No = kidding! That is all. Go on with your business. Justin (justin@tmbg.org, birdhouse@tmbg.org) Smith ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 19:07:15 -0700 From: Joe Virant Organization: Learning Link Ohio Subject: Re: Stuff Bob Schroer wrote: > excuse me!!! i subscribed to the list to talk about THEM. i am under > compulsion to post whichever threads catch my interset and i feel like > responding to. > > perhaps you should look into flaming yourself for posting this and > wastong everyone on the lists time. > > bob palindrome bob Hey-- I think that No.10 Can of Steam was trying to make the point that it's impolite to quote an entire message, to add like one line of your own, saying something to the effect of "AMEN BROTHER!". I believe he's got every right to be annoyed. I am. jOe ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 19:17:18 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: I'm sorry... I'm sorry to go back on a thread, but whoever said that older bands don't usually open for younger bands didn't see NRBQ open for Them. I hear that NRBQ have opened for Them a lot. They're an old band (I think they got together in 68 or 69) and they really suck. The highlight of their act was when they performed "Captain Lou's History Of Music" originally performed by Captain Lou Albano, off of _The_Wrestling_Album_. They were pretty bad other than that, as I'm sure some other listers can back me up on. At least they brought a pretty good fan base, so that when all the NRBQ fans left after they went off, I was able to sneak past security into the vacant front row seats. OK, I'm gonna go now. --Jack http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: i am irate Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 19:46:54 -0400 (EDT) For some foolish reason they got rid of Polyester 101 (after about 3 days) and replaced it with Froggie 100, All country station ack!! There should be no country stations here, blech. So how about those concerts coming up? Looks like Ohio and Illinois is getting hit pretty soon by the presence of the Johns? I did see a cool Apollo 18 shirt on this guy in my class, it said Apollo 18 on the back (the only reason I knew was because this school groundskeeper guy was like, "Wow, I didn't know there were 18 Apollo space missions!"), but before he said that I was mesmerized by his shirt, I kept staring at it, it was like blue and green and yellow and they meshed together and they said "Fidelity, something something" i can't remeber what the other 2 colors were I was so entranced. Anybody ever see this? Also, I must recommend a band I have sorta been fairly newly introduced to by the name of the Judybats, they are just excellent. Just got Native Son today and it is pretty darn cool. Ok Matt out. -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |Judybats|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:09:11 -0400 Subject: SHIRT! Hey everybody! I went to a store yesterday, one of those sort of "we burn insense (sp?) by the minute" kinda places and I got this TMBG shirt from the WDTSS tour it's a really cool shirt but unfortunately it has '1993' plastered on it... <---that part was for tmbg content After the odd store, I went to this record store and got Ben Folds Five, now I don't feel so guilty about recommended them to people on the list having only heard one single... did anybody notice that at the end of that song called 'philosophy' that they have that little bit of that piece by Gerschwin (?) from the airline commercials and also a little bit (of piano music, that is) of ABC that one song, you all know... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:23:05 -0400 Subject: Re: Popularity >>are you sure they will let non-UC folks in? I wasn't worried until I >>went to the TMBG home page, where it seems to strongly imply that they >>will indeed check. I'd hate to drive two and a half only to be denied >>Giant-exposure. cofirmations? reassurances? commands to get lost? >>peace >>Michael When I talked to my friend that goes to U of C, he said that he was pretty sure that they will NOT be checking IDs. I'm going anyway....maybe I can steal an ID from someone. :) tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:27:44 -0400 Subject: Re: Stuff >>[x] you listen to "You Might Be A Redneck..." jokes HEY, I like Jeff Foxworthy and think that he is incredibly funny! I probably am going to see him June 8th. Don't knock him! By the way, I live in Chicago and I'm definitely NOT a redneck. Tucker ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 18:34:37 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: TMBG Concert At www.tmbg.com, it says that the U of I concert on the 18th is a closed show available to U of I Faculty and Students only. I don't know if it was you every time, but this question has been asked so much lately, and nobody's been answering it. Mark Melville ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:39:11 -0400 Subject: U of C concert......more information >>I got your tickets. According to the sign, you supposedly need an id to >>get in and each u of c student can bring one guest. It's no big deal >>though, they never check ids at the concerts here. Well, here is new info on the concert. I hope that this helps!! The guy that wrote this goes to U of C, so I think he should know. Tucker ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:54:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-124 >actually i think it "my panacea's in a xerox shop" >pan*a*cea (noun) Thank You! I was wondering if I was the only one. Really, though, I think it could easily be either. ///////////////////////////////Joshua Hall-Bachner////////////////////////////// / particle@servtech.com / / "I spend too much time raiding windmills, We go side by side, laugh until / / it's right. There's something that you won't show, waiting where the light / / goes. And maybe anywhere the wind blows, it's all worth waiting for." / //////////////////////////////////-- Toad The Wet Sprocket,"Windmills"////////// ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Leung Subject: The What? got me high?! Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 12:11:34 +1000 (EST) Hello, The other day I was trying to convert my friend into a TMBG fan so I gave him a tape to listen to while in a lecture. Anyway, a couple of minutes later he goes ,"This is cool!" I go," Great, what song are you listening to?" And then my friend, who's a bit of a druggo, (it's OK to have druggo friends, isn't it?) says, "This one, The Stash You Got Me High." I burst out laughing and disgraced myself in front of everyone. Having later told him the correct title of the song he displayed his disappointment hasn't asked for the tape since (Mike Rose, it was Romesh). Also, to the guy conducting voting for fave bands besides TMBG, do they have to be American and /or well known bands? I'm afraid that my selections won't really stand a chance considering that no one outside Australia has heard of them.........(even though they're excellent). Jez - - - ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: Weird Al a TMBG fan? Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:34:10 -0700 I thought everyone should know, I just got Weird Al Yankovic's latest album, and he does a song in TMBG style. He has a thing of taking other groups he respects and doing a song that might sound like them, he has done it with B-52's, The Police, Oingo Boingo, etc. and I guess this time it's TMBG. The song is called "Everything You Know Is Wrong" and it is kinda in the style of "Birdhouse" with the same type of synth. Thought everyone should know :D ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 23:06:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: Weird Al a TMBG fan? On Mon, 6 May 1996, Charles Box wrote: > done it with B-52's, The Police, Oingo Boingo, etc. and I guess this time Just curious to know which song you think sounds like Oingo Boingo...I'd like to hear it. Although I do like Oingo Boingo (at least their last album), I much prefer Elfman's movie scores. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 23:11:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Dead in a yearbook I was looking through my 1991 highschool year book, dredging up horrible memories, when I came across the section with the graduate photos. One of the grad quotes caught my eye. Some guy had written the lyric "I will never say the word 'procrastinate' again; I never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed", with the letters TMBG right after it. I didn't know who this person was, but now I kinda wish I did. Bye. Alex ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 23:22:59 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Re: Weird Al a TMBG fan? > > done it with B-52's, The Police, Oingo Boingo, etc. and I guess this time > > Just curious to know which song you think sounds like Oingo Boingo...I'd > like to hear it. Although I do like Oingo Boingo (at least their last > album), I much prefer Elfman's movie scores. "You Make Me" was written in the style of Oingo Boingo. I have the Weird Al boxed set, and it says that in the liner notes. I wouldn't have picked it out otherwise. --Jack, still a Snowball In Hell ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 23:57:14 -0400 Subject: bands To whomever was talking about Soul Coughing, you will be pleased (actually displeased in less you like these shows) to know that they were just on Beavis and Butthead tonight. I'm not sure what song it was, but it started with them singing, no, no, no and they had a cool dog or something that B+B loved. I also remember the song being on Road Rules. Funny how MTV plays the video on their shows, not in usual airplay............ The TMBG thing for the day is......ummm......I think that I will wear a TMBG shirt tomorrow for school. Sorry, couldn't really think of anything. Except, I have tixs for the U of C show (2) and I'm really excited. I hope that I get home in time though (state for track runs through that day in Charleston, IL=bumble). Anyway, I will shut up now. I hope that no one flames me for this stupid message because although I thought that the email posted was funny, I hope that no one does it to me. Maybe it's just my introverted self! tucker ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Subject: Bore or Bores Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 22:05:31 -0600 >Jack, the infamous Snowball in Hell, wrote in reference to my correction >of the "Your Racist Friend" lyric ("I know politics bore you" ---> "I know >politics bores you"), that because the "you" in the lyric is plural, >"bore" is the correct usage of the verb. > >No, I disagree still. Your observation has an easily made flaw. Let's >expand on the sentence, assuming that the singer by the word "politics" >refers to something *like* the presidential campaign or the political >parties or whatever (Snipped to end of message) Oh, contraire, mon fraire... Two errors I see is that 'politics' can be a noun as well as a verb... taken then by replacing the collective group of all things political(Politicians, Wash. DC, campaigns, etc.)and replacing it with another noun, i.e. 'Buses' "I know Buses bore you" "I know Buses Bores you" Now which sounds correct? Or, even better (I really searched for this one) Perhaps if we examine another word in the sentence which can be an adjective or a verb.... Bore can mean digging, disinteresting, or to bear, as in baskets or even children... So what if they are saying thast the person was brought into life or the party through Politics: I know Politics created you, Meaning that he won't stand up to his racist friend for reasons of politicking-not offending anyone, even the bigoted... I am seldom this long-winded... -Rabid Child (Check out my new addy in my .sig) Rabid_Child@tmbg.org (I think I'll keep the other one (W/ my name) secret for reasons of Mystery and Privacy 8o) (Continued from above) >(but does not necessarily refer to these specific >examples): > >"I know politics bore you[.]" >EXPANDED TO >"I know [that] politics bore you[.]" >EXTRACTING THE CLAUSE >"Politics bore you." >SUBSTITUTING A SINGULAR PREDICATE: SUBSTITUTING A PLURAL PREDICATE: >"Politics bore the dog." "Politics bore the dogs." > >From this flow, you may notice that neither sentence is awkward, even >though one has a singular predicate and the other has a plural. From this >observation, I conclude that the predicate does not influence the >conjugation of the verb in this sentence. > >However, the subject ("politics") influences it. Watch: > >EXTRACTING THE CLAUSE >"Politics bore you." >SUBSTITUTING A SINGULAR SUBJECT: SUBSTITUTING A PLURAL PREDICATE: >"The dog bore you." "The dogs bore you." > >The singular subject example does not sound right. The problem with the >original line "I know politics bore you" is that usually the word >"politics" takes a singular verb ("bores") and only in cases when referring to >something divisible (a "politic") would the word "politics" take a plural >verb ("bore"). To clarify further, substitute the words "Economics" or >"Robotics." ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to: Rabid_Child@tmbg.org * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 21:25:18 -0700 (MST) From: JWH Subject: Hi there fellow TMBG fans... Okay. My first post and it's a question. I've only been here about a week and if you've answered my question before I got here--- too bad, answer it again. So, here it is: What's the deal with the TMBG video compilation? Is it dead? Does ANYONE on earth have it and if so, can I pay way too much for it, because I really want it. Sorry, that was more than one. Oh well. A little history: so my friend has this tape back in 1990 called 'Flood'. I go over to his house and while playing Simcity for Super NES we listen to it over and over and over again. I was addicted and ever since then I've been trying to absorb every ounce of They before I die. Hey, you gotta have priorities, right? Anyway, I go to the U of A (Arizona) and I'm going back home to Massachusetts for the summer and if I don't see Them this summer sometime, I'm going to implode. I got real close to a concert last summer at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, but I think we stumbled into the wrong part of town and we were asked to leave quickly. It was a 'I don't think we're still in Brooklyn anymore Toto' experience. So there, you all know my fatal flaw; I've never seen Them. (Cry, sob, tears...) O.K. stop laughing now, I'll go. Check out my homepage at http://u.arizona.edu/~jwh and my TMBG contained therein. I'm still working so don't laugh too hard. I'm going to include a sound sample of me signing both 'Lie Still, Little Bottle' and then later my own personal version of 'Kiss Me, Son of God'. It sounds best in the shower and I'm recording it there. I'll make a post when I get in on the page, then you can all say that you've heard me sing in the shower. (Hopefully I won't disappoint.) Later then... -Josh ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-128 ******************************