Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-129 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 129 Wednesday, 8 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Stuff Re: it's a white tornado! and more... Ye Old T-Shirt Ooops Stumpbox, Wo bist du? Re: Gershwin (none) Edison lyric sheet on display! to express my frustration. Voting, etc. Not a thing to do w/Them white tornado Re: Stumpbox, Wo bist du? Re: white tornado It's nice to be here... Re: white tornado Re: white tornado A gruesomely disgusting observation Re: Voting, etc. Weird Al....yet again! Happy Birthday John Flansburg! Ben Folds Five Beam me up, Johnny Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 07:49:14 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: Stuff KTUCKER3@aol.com wrote: > HEY, I like Jeff Foxworthy and think that he is incredibly funny! I > probably am going to see him June 8th. Don't knock him! By the way, I live > in Chicago and I'm definitely NOT a redneck. [x] you are a redneck not just another john ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 07:54:54 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: it's a white tornado! and more... GoodOmenz wrote: > > yeah, it's in my oppinion one of the worst remixes ever (but hey, i kinda > liked the worlds address...) anyway, who hasnt wondered where that > somewhat amuseing intro came from? well, i was playing it and someone > walked in and said "hey, thats an old ajax add from the '60s.. theyd clean > your house in a white tornado.." well, maybe im the only one who didnt > know this but i thought it was cool.. also, while we're calling > references- the same person said that theres some McAurthur Park song > about a cake left out in the rain that im just too young to know about.. > anyone else? or anyone know at all how the nightgown of the sullen moon > book relates to the song (save the obvious reason of course..) and > finally, whats the T stand for (as in misc.) well, just some random > stuff.. > feeling unrelated, > liz someone asked about the intro to the remix of istanbul... i got this from the news group not just another john ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Ye Old T-Shirt Date: Tue, 7 May 96 8:33:36 18000 Well.... I've got myself a nice little computer-done design for the shirt.. .. if anyone decides to take a look at it, go to the web site and check it out tomorrow... it's at: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html I've got a little form thingy set up, so have fun..... -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Ooops Date: Tue, 7 May 96 8:37:33 18000 I just wrote the message concerning the tshirt but forgot to tell you what it's like! On the back, I've got two tickets, one on top of the other, with the following words: DATE/TIME: 25 HOURS A DAY They Might Be Giants Mailing List LOCATION: TMBG-LIST-REQUEST@TMBG.ORG COST: FREE WHEN YOU 'NET FROM WORK! And on the front, I've got a weird clip art type pic of a lady on the phone, she's got gray hair (now) and above and below her it says: I took off the intellectuals. . . And put on There May Be Giants. So..... it's a design at least...... respond with comments!!! -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting FTP: freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 10:38:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Stumpbox, Wo bist du? Ben oder Bin hier. Hallo. Hey, guys, where can I get a copy of "Stumpbox"? What is it? If you'd please fill me in and other ignorant folks I'd much appreciate it. sun and smiles (I'm too much influenced by cortney's sig at the moment), Ben or Been (The meaning lies in the person.) ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 7 May 96 08:46:14 MDT Subject: Re: Gershwin ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 29 ----- Begin Included Message ----- ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:09:11 -0400 a spooky man named me ----- End Included Message ----- The Gershwin piece that United Airlines uses in it's commercials is called "Rhapsody in Blue". It's a piece about 15 minutes long, and they use about 15 seconds in the commercials. What a travesty. Just like the Longines Symphonette classical records with "25 of the world's greatest classical pieces" on each side of the record. (Note the neat TMBG tie-in?) "Like the Longines Symphonette, my story's infinate" Who else but TMBG has managed to rhyme the word infinate? Russ ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria ============================================================================= ------------------------------ From: promans@sloth.loyola.edu (Phil Romans) Subject: Edison lyric sheet on display! Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 11:14:55 -0400 (EDT) Hello all you groovy cats, I finally got around to scanning in my copy of the Edison labs lyric sheet with my very own TMBG Singatures!!! If you wanna take a look at this fine piece of TMBG stuff, check it out at: http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans/u2/edison.gif The entire band signed it including the manager Jamie, the Tuba player, and the guy who sang the song which is on the sheet of paper. As for the writing on the one lyric, it is the sig. of the guy who sang it and that part was cut out and not used so I asked him to sign that part. As for the rest... well, Flans is the one with the circle and glasses dude, Linnel is John L. Grahmn's has the =) face on it towards the left side on the bottom. Tuba guy signed it as such. Doherty is the slopy one on the right. Eric the guitar is on the upper left. Nick Hall (last name right?) is on the Lyric part with the "Not a true story." Finally is the Jamie part which is the manager. enjoy the previously unrealsed lyrics as well! -=phil -- ._________________________________________________________________. I |promans@sloth.loyola.edu | http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans | W | U2-They Might Be Giants-Pink Floyd-Rush | G | looking for any 'live' material of these bands | B | Magic: The Addiction | T \-----------------------------------------------------------------/ P -=The mountains are calling and I must go. (John Muir)=- ! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 15:21:48 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: to express my frustration. TMBG will be playing at U of C on May 18th. exactly (to the day) 4 months before i will be there for orientation to be a student there. for the low low even affordable for me price of $5. if is wasn't for this intense Jedi training, i'd be really ticked off right now. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 17:08:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Voting, etc. Well, since a few people wanted to know, here is how the voting stands: REM (9) Barenaked Ladies (7) Tori Amos (7) The Smiths (6) Simon and Garfunkel (6) The Beatles (5) Ween (5) A few with 4, a bunch with 3, lots with 2 and scores with 1. Now, as you can see, I still need lots more votes. Also, please don't send me votes with the third choice being "Well, I'm too much of a wuss to just pick another band or artist, so here are the other 90 bands I've ever liked." Those votes will be disqualified, because I either have to just pick a band out of the list, or put all of them on there, giving you more votes than anyone else got. I don't really mind this, but if you really want to see those bands on the list, just put one down as your 3rd choice. 2 Unrelated Things: One, (if anyone remember this far back), of course the person who illustrated my copy of Carroll's stories was John Tenniel, but I thought I'd make it a bit more dramatic... too bad you guys were paying attention. :) Two, I've an idea for a tshirt. On the front is a TMBG with a ticket under it. The TMBG is composed of two clarinets for the T, little suns (shining, of course) for the M, Flansburgh's sideways glasses forming the B, and little skulls arranged in the shape of the G. I haven't figured the ticket out yet, but I've seen other people's ideas, and it will be pretty much like them. On the back is a list of top 10 most beloved threads, with the words "I thread, therefore I am." underneath it. At the top, it says "The List:" which, to ordinary mortals, will just mean the top ten list, but to us will mean the mailing list (pretty clever, eh?) However, I need someone to make up the top ten list for me (I don't think I've seen ten really good threads while I've been on the list), and I also don't have a scanner. I'm sure there's someone willing to lend me a list, and I can probably get access to a scanner somehow. Ideas, suggestions, donations? (Er wait, no...) This isn't a final design, and since it's already a combination of a few other people's ideas, even more stolen ideas would be helpful. :) Thanks, RS (RS@tmbg.org, I got it the day they were first available, but I forgot to say I did). ------------------------------ From: joe.kopera@cynosure.com (Joe Kopera) Subject: Not a thing to do w/Them Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 21:07:18 GMT Organization: Cynosure Online - bbs.cynosure.com Like, just to let all you TSU TMBGers know, like, I am going to TSU and all, so another TMBG shall join your loyal ranks. Tallyhoo! ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: white tornado Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 17:36:02 -0400 (EDT) What is a white tornado? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |Judybats|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 17:43:13 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Stumpbox, Wo bist du? >Hey, guys, where can I get a copy of "Stumpbox"? What is it? Stumpbox is a tape compiled recently, containing covers that the band has done. Mostly, these are "Stump the Band" performances. You can get a copy from some kind soul who has a copy, a dual tape deck, and some free time. Unfortunately, I do not have the last of these three, so I can't help. :-( On a related note, I would like to add the lyrics to the Stumpbox songs to the website. If you have the lyrics to these songs, please send them to me. That will speed my work. (I'm looking for the TMBG versions of the lyrics, not the originals. If you do have the originals, though, at least that's a start.) I plan to also upload lyrics for "The Low Fidelity Experience," my upcoming compilation of Dial-a-Song Onlines, The JH Hypercard Stack, MIDI versions of songs, etc. More info on this to come. -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 18:19:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: white tornado My mom said that Mr Clean's slogan used to be "Cleans like a white tornado." or some such thing. But then she said it wasn't Mr Clean, and she didn't know what it was. But, we do know that some cleaning solution used to make that claim. So, at some point from about 1950 until now, there was a commercial that featured these words. Sounds cheesy enough to be from the 50s, and I can practically hear the announcer saying "Cleans like a white tornado." in his best false, 50s announcer voice, complete with lame jingle in the background. But, this may actually have nothing to do with anything. I just thought it might help someone remember. RS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 18:28:52 -0400 From: tHE mORE Subject: It's nice to be here... Greetings all, Being a fairly new computer user and a die-hard TMBG fan, all of you will have to bear with my lack of computer expertise and my occasional fan-boy raving about TMBG. That being said and out of the way, I have enjoyed the music of TMBG for at least 7 years now and failed to find a band who has entertained me consistantly for all that time. I was very happy to find this system so I can speak about my favourite band with other people who can appreciate what I'm talking about. Most of my friends and my uncle converted me many years ago into a fan and there is no going back, I'm always looking for new stuff from TMBG and look forward to chatting with fellow fans everywhere in the world. To any or all of you out there, I am willing to be "tutored" in the ways of Giant-dom and hope to become a larger fan of them. Eventually, I will see these guys in concert. I can be reached at topher@wincom.net Thank-you son of God, Dave "Duckman" Marshall ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 7 May 96 16:33:36 MDT Subject: Re: white tornado ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 3 The product that cleans like a white tornado was AJAX Cleanser, if my memory serves me correctly. ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default-app X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "Man is that he might have joy" -- The Book Of Mormon ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 18:42:19 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Re: white tornado It was Ajax, not Mr. Clean. I thought someone posted that recently. I could be wrong, though. --Jack, sort of a peach tornado http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn John@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 21:32:02 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: A gruesomely disgusting observation Has anyone else noticed the number of threads that are just "Stuff," or "A Bunch of Stuff?" Does this give anyone else a ulcer trying to find the followups? Suggestion: Subjects with multiple topics should be as follows: ex. "Green Day--Do they suck? +OAT" This would translate to Green Day, Do they suck? and other (assorted/asthmatic/aromatic/automatic/automated/awful) topics. What d'y'all think?? BlueDawg, the first to use two (2) apostrophes in one word. ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I remember my first sexual encounter because I kept the recipe."--Jeffery Dahmer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 21:32:47 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: Voting, etc. At 05:08 PM 5/7/96 -0400, you wrote: > Well, since a few people wanted to know, here is how the voting >stands: REM (9) > Barenaked Ladies (7) > Tori Amos (7) > The Smiths (6) > Simon and Garfunkel (6) > The Beatles (5) > Ween (5) > A few with 4, a bunch with 3, lots with 2 and scores with 1. What about XTC??? C'mon NKOTB fans, I know you're out there!! BlueDawg ________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! Ranked in the bottom 95% of all websites!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I remember my first sexual encounter because I kept the recipe."--Jeffery Dahmer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 20:28:54 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: Weird Al....yet again! Someone a couple of days ago said that Al's song, "I remember Larry," sounds like "See The Constellation." You're right! It's most obvious when Al says "I'll never forget about Larry, no matter how I try." You can sing the words "No cigar, no lady on his arm. Just a guy made of dots and lines," over it. The chord progression is identical, and the melody is almost identical. Mark Melville ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 17:17:13 +0000 Subject: Happy Birthday John Flansburg! It's Flansy's birthday today! He's 37! I think! Correct me if I'm wrong! But no matter! Let us all join in in song: It's not my birthday, it's not today... *ahem* Wrong song. On three: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR FLANSBURG, THOU MUSICAL GENIUS HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOOO YOUUUUUU!!!! Yay! May he have many more! On to list topics: "I know politics bore you" is correct. I think that politics, the subject of the sentence, can be single or plural, as Ben or Been pointed out. (i.e. "That's just politics" is correct, and so is "Politics make me sick") The verb must agree with the subject ("politics"), not the object ("you"). So it doesn't matter what the object is ("politics bore me", "politics bore nobody", "politcs bore Ana Ng, Mr. Me, and Chess Piece Face" are all correct.) Ergo, "bore" agrees with the plural subject "politics", the sentence is correct, and everybody is happy, including the Johns's high school English teacher (did they have the same one?). Gee, that was longer than was warranted. Last month in my English class we had to write essays on Conrad's novelette "Heart of Darkness". I started mine by quoting from "Welcome to the Jungle," and I got an A. I was half-expecting a comment like, "Who's They May Be Giants?", but no such luck. Anyone else out there use TMBG in school papers? Any notable sucesses? To whoever posted the 10 bajillion pages of html: Uh... thanks. To Mike Rose: YES! If aliens ever do decide to come to earth, no doubt that it will be solely because TMBG on the airwaves convinced them that we are intelligent life forms. About mtv's information society banning the use of pretentious spelling-- are you sure you don't mean the Dave Barry column on the subject? The one called Ye Olde Humor Columne (from _DB's Greatest Hits_) where he talks about placing a special tax on people who use pretentious spelling? That's all from here. -Nicole, who just got a licence plate frame that says "We could walk, but we'd never get there" but is frustrated by the fact that only about 3 people in the greater San Jose area will get the reference, and the rest will look at her frame and go, "Huh?" Now in three delicious flavors: Original-- nnicole@hooked.net Extra Crunchy-- nnicole@tmbg.org and Cool Mint!-- ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@hooked.net ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 22:45:40 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Ben Folds Five A couple of people on the list were talking about Ben Folds Five on the list so I thought I might tell you that they are going to be touring with that travesty called Lollapalooza.... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 01:48:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Beam me up, Johnny I was listening to the TMBG version of 25 O'clock and noticed something that made me wind the tape back and listen again. In the instrumental section, right at the end of the first part of the gibberish...the slow gibberish, the sound of a transporter from the Startrek show can clearly be heard (at least it's clear to me). For those of you with any musical knowledge, it is about 10 or 11 bars into the synth solo. There is also a key change as soon as the transporter sound starts. I hope I am not making this too complicated to find. I'd really like to know that I'm not the only person that hears this, so please play the song again and listen very intently...not too intently though, you might hurt yourselves. Kirk out. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-129 ******************************