Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-130 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 130 Thursday, 9 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: I'm sorry... Re: Voting, etc. Politics/Ben's Dial-A-Song Re: Politics/Ben's Dial-A-Song HELLO!!!! Re: HELLO!!!! Re: HELLO!!!! Re: white tornado SHIRT Lie Still, Little Gonzo Edison lyric sheet with signatures!!! I actually know the answer to GoodOmenz's question. Spork! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: DSEEBODE@aol.com Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 03:12:56 -0400 Subject: Re: I'm sorry... hey easy on the NRBQ slurs. The Q happen to be in my top five with TMBG. i have seen NRBQ even more time then TMBG and at least they'll have a drink with you afetr the show. dave ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 08:23:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Voting, etc. XTC only has 3 votes. This and other things surprised me alot. For example, no one from the Hello CD club got any votes, besides Frank Black, who got one. This is quite strange. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 10:10:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Politics/Ben's Dial-A-Song Ben or Been here. I've Been fighting the "correctness" of the line "I know politics bore you" in the song "Your Racist Friend," citing that since "politics" was most probably a collective noun in the context, it should take a singular verb. I also wrote someone suggesting looking in the dictionary--to see that it would probably say in the definition "construed as singular." Well, I checked my dictionary, and proved THAT I DIDN'T KNOW THAT ABOUT WHICH I WAS TALKING. My dictionary read that the word "politics" could be "construed as singular or plural." Thus, if you trust my dictionary as some authority, I was mistaken in claiming that "politics" was a typical collective noun. Oh well. You cannot defend grammar, unless perhaps one's meaning gets incoherent when writing overly ungrammatically. I see a dictionary as a *historical* *description* of words' meanings. I don't really think it should prescribe meanings. :) ******************************************** As for Ben's Dial-A-Song . . . (614) 823-BLUE It now features the first song off Ben or Been's Yet-To-Get-Named Band's Debut Album!!!!! Yes, Ben or Been fooled around over the weekend with his synthesizer, no musical talent, word-writing skills, and alarm clock to create a sixteen song album called _A Few Hours and No Talent_. The first single off the album's called "Come On Grandpa"--and, no, it does not allude to any squirting substance. Wacko stuff! Give it a call! Ben or Been ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Politics/Ben's Dial-A-Song Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 10:44:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Benjamin Hauck: >Oh well. You cannot defend grammar, unless perhaps one's meaning gets >incoherent when writing overly ungrammatically. I see a dictionary as a >*historical* *description* of words' meanings. I don't really think it >should prescribe meanings. :) Surely you meant "proscribe" here. ;) -CB ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: HELLO!!!! Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 10:44:44 -0500 (CDT) Greetings all of you fellow freaks! (apologies to those of you who don't consider yourselves freaks... you don't know what fun you're missing) Well, as you might have guessed by now, I'm back on the list, having nothing to do until my last two finals on Friday. And then.... SUMMER!!!!!! And I'll be here at college all summer, so you guys'll just have to put up with me for the whole time.... *evil grin* ----- What have I missed? What have I missed? I'm extraordinarily out of the loop... What's with all this @tmbg.org stuff I've seen? What's up? How the heck _are_ all of you? Has anyone else but me noticed what a profoundly dark album John Henry is? I just kind of came to that realization a few days ago... Anyway, until later.... -CJ Drawing on my fine command | CJ "Cyborg" Kucera -- St. Norbert College of language, I said nothing. | http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez - Mark Twain |~"~'~"'`"~"~"~"~"~~"`"`"`'`"~"`'~"`'~"~"~~"`"`"~ ...........................,.*' WOW: Modularity ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 12:53:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: Re: HELLO!!!! On Wed, 8 May 1996, Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > Has anyone else but me noticed what a profoundly dark album John Henry is? > I just kind of came to that realization a few days ago... Actually, I noticed that it was really dark after listening to it only two or three times. I got John Henry at around the same time I got Doom from my computer, so I sat around playing Doom and listening to JH day after day. The complimented each other very well, especially during songs like Stompbox, Why Must I Be Sad?, A Self Called Nowhere. Even some of the lighter songs have their dark side...Sleeping In The Flowers has a happy kind of chorus, but the rest of the song is slow and brooding. Dirt Bike seems relaxing, but I think it has very spooky, murky undertones...same with Unrelated Thing. So, yes, as a whole, when I look back (and weigh) John Henry, it does come off as being very dark and ominous. I'm scared. Alex ------------------------------ Subject: Re: HELLO!!!! Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 13:21:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Christopher J. Kucera: >How the heck _are_ all of you? Don't ask... it's been a rough week ;) >Has anyone else but me noticed what a profoundly dark album John Henry is? If you look closely, I think you'll find most of their songs to be light, skippy tunes with dark, brooding lyrics. A perfect example is "Turn Around" from A18, which has a light-hearted swing melody and walkbass, whereas the words recount tales whose morals seem to be, "Death is only a step behind." For earlier examples, look to Mr. Me (a drowning victim?) or Puppet Head. There's a reason for all the skull imagery, dontcha know. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 14:41:01 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: Re: white tornado When my brother heard the I(NC) remix, he said that the very first part, where the girl asks, "You're not taping this are you?" is from some Janet Jackson tape, where they included some conversations between her and the recording studio staff, and she was singing some song in some way that she would not have wanted other people to hear, and they were laughing at her, so she stopped and asked, "You're not taping this are you?" But I really don't know because I haven't heard what he was talking about. Mark Melville ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: SHIRT Date: Wed, 8 May 96 18:23:46 18000 A few things actually.... so i'll list! 1: Are my messages actually being recieved by anyone else on the list? Or just me? 2: The shirt design by me is up on the page on my signature file... the www.godby. . . .address. Check it out please! 3: Who was the guy who was going to make the shirts once a design was created? If I get good votes on this shirt, then I suppose it'll be the final design! I haven't got any other design submissions.... -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- P.S. This is just starting, haven't got any designs yet! :( ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 18:39:39 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Lie Still, Little Gonzo I'm sorry if this has (Ben or) been brought up before, but have you noticed that the bass line to "Lie Still, Little Bottle" is the same as the sax line for the opening theme to the original Muppet Show? I didn't realize it until last week when my friend lent me "Doctor Spock's Back-Up Band" and I heard Them play it live. Linnell was playing the bass line on saxophone, and I thought that they were coving the Muppet theme. I usually have a really good ear for that sort of thing, and I'm surprised that it's eluded me for so long. That's really cool. If They were going to "borrow" a riff from someone, I'm glad it was from the Muppets. Just observing. --Jack, who hates the orange screens in the computer lab http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn John@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Phil Romans Subject: Edison lyric sheet with signatures!!! Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 15:38:41 -0400 (EDT) Ok all you wacky TMBG fans... I have scanned in the lyric sheet I got from the Edison sessions in NJ. On this sheet is the entire bands' singatures, including the managers. Here is the address to view this previously unreleased lyrics to a song that could be on the next album! http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans/u2/edison.gif Do note that the sig on one lyric was by the guy who sang it. And the reason for that was because it was not included in the recording. -=phil -- ._________________________________________________________________. I |promans@sloth.loyola.edu | http://justice.loyola.edu/~promans | W | U2-They Might Be Giants-Pink Floyd-Rush | G | looking for any 'live' material of these bands | B | Magic: The Addiction | T \-----------------------------------------------------------------/ P -=The mountains are calling and I must go. (John Muir)=- ! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 18:28:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Paul Sebold Subject: I actually know the answer to GoodOmenz's question. Spork! hello list, I have an answer. Although this is probably known to many of you, a listee asked earlier what the "T" in _misc. T_ stands for. The answer is, of course: nothing, the "T" involved is the actual letter T. I came to this revelation when I was at Camelot looking for the _Back to Skull_ single so I was looking under the CD singles, section T for TMBG. The little white place maker that shows where in the alphabet I was said "Miscellaneous T", as in "where a cd single with an artist's name that begins with "T" would be found ie: TLC (ack), Tina Turner (ack ack) or TMBG. BINGO. It all made since, and the world was right again. There we have it: why the title Misc. T. -the weather's here, wish you were beautiful (*Lady J*) Paul ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ + -You're eatin' onions!! You're spottin' dimes!! + + I don't know what to believe!! *Jerry Seinfeld* + + psebold@husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us Paul Sebold + + http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html + ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-130 ******************************