Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-131 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 131 Friday, 10 May 1996 Today's Topics: Is a new album coming? End of the year :( Spriralling Shape Well.... The Low Fidelity Experience LoFi Tape Tree spiralling shape solo? +OAT Re: spiralling shape solo? +OAT Re: spiralling shape solo? +OAT Re: spiralling shape solo? +OAT Let's pick a name for the girl on the cover of John Henry Re: Let's pick a name for the girl on the cover of John Henry good question Re: good question WAH!!!!!!! Mailing Aliases Testing.... One last test. I know when I'm stupid Re: bands (grammar) scary thoughts Re: Voting, atomic energy, all that stuff email go poof Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Michael_J._Cairns@nrunner.mil.wi.us Organization: Netrunner BBS - Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 18:19:33 CST Subject: Is a new album coming? I'm just wondering if anyone knows a release date for TMBG next album? I'm new to this group, and computers, and this may seem like a stupid question, but I'm dying to know! Any other info on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanx ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 14:01:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Spiralling Shape Subject: End of the year :( Hi all. For my last show of the semester at WTSR, I played "Birdhouse In Your Soul". At the end of my show I played "Spiralling Shape" again, just so I have a copy of it on tape. This will be last message of the semester. I'll see all of you again on September 4! Later, Craig P.S. The TMBG on WTSR list will be up later tonight! Check it out at: http://www.trenton.edu/~whyte/tmbgonwtsr ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Spriralling Shape Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:41:20 -0400 (EDT) Hello all, I had this program due for my c++ class and it was called the Filled Shapes program. Well for the life of me I could not say filled Shape but kept saying Spiralling Shape program! I couldn't stop myself. I said to my teacher, "I'm almost done that Spiralling...i mean..Filled shpe program" Twas funny. Got the Spiralling shape on my mind! boogie down Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |Judybats|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:40:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Bizarre Inca Egg Subject: Well.... Well, I've only been on for a short while this year...but I have to go...My e-mail will not be readily accessable until the fall because I am GOING HOME!!! :) So, I will see you all in the fall when I get back from summer break. Later!! Craig B. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 18:35:47 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: The Low Fidelity Experience Well, my taping project is finished except for adding the RealAudio concert. When that is finally made available I'll be able to start distributing the tape. It will be called "The Low Fidelity Experience" (or LoFi for short). So far it contains 55 tracks. It consists of: * Dial-a-Song Online tracks * Backwards messages from songs, reversed for you * MIDI versions of TMBG songs * The songs from the John Henry Hypercard Stack * The RealAudio concert (pending upload) Here's the track listing for part one, the Dial-a-Song portion: Mario Speaks / Stormy Pinkness / The Feel-Good Sublet / The King of Wingo / Maine / Mainstream, U.S.A. / So Long Mockingbird / Nixon's the One / Operators Are Standing By / Rat Patrol / We Love All the People / Summer Breeze / What Bothers the Spaceman? / Swing Is a Word (Six Feet Down) / Get Away / When Tornados Take Over the World / Tryptophane / Don't Make Me Kill You Again / We Just Go Nuts at Christmastime LoFi will be distributed for free. I'm going to set up a tape tree once it is completed. I will post another message with instructions for getting on the tree. All recordings were done straight from my Power Mac 7100 to my tape deck, recording in Position II with no Dolby. -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 18:45:14 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: LoFi Tape Tree If you would like to get a copy of LoFi, here is what you'll need to tell me: 1) Your Name 2) Your Snailmail Address 3) Do you have access to a dual tape deck that can record in position II (CrO2)? If so, how many copies of the tape would you be willing to make? (Blanks and postage will be provided) People that agree to be tapers (branches) rather than just receiving a tape (leaves) will get a slightly higher-quality recording, due to signal loss when recording. Everyone in the tree will need to be able to provide a blank 90 minute Maxell XLII tape and an envelope with enough postage to mail the tape. Please make sure replies are addressed to , which is not necessarily the reply address in the header of this message. I'll let the list know when the tape is completely done. Thanks! -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 16:59:19 +0000 Subject: spiralling shape solo? +OAT Gee, that's an alliterative title. :) I've been listening to Spiralling Shape (again and again and again) and I've got a question: what instrument is being used in the brief instrumental solos at the end? It sounds like a xylophone. Is it? I'm pretty sure it's not a glockenspiel (at least, it sounds.. um, mellower (yeah, I know. Wrong word) and less relentlessly bright than whatever Doherty was pounding on in WDTSS). A synth maybe? Anyone know? As far as the t-shirt design goes, I still favor having "You'll never know what you'll find when you open up your letterbox tomorrow." Or else the windmill idea. Or something. A friend of mine used the lyrics to James K. Polk on a history test. He got full credit, plus a teacher's comment: "Why is this in rhymed meter?" Nicole's ideas for the Top Ten Threads: 10) Let's pick a name for the girl on the cover of John Henry! 9) If Particle Man got together with Person Man, could they beat Triangle Man? 8) So where does Ana Ng live, anyway? 7) What other bands do you guys like? 6) Does water really spiral the wrong way out the sink? [note: Nicole was in Paraguay last summer, and got the conclusive answer to this. E-mail her for details. ana.ng@tmbg.org ] Gee, I can't think of any more. You guys wanna help me out? First, let me skip to the #1 thread: 1) Are the Johns lactose-intolerant? -nicole (whose clock loses something like 8 hours a day, which means that her dates are FUBAR. Pay no attention to them. Today is May 8. Flanny's b-day was on the 6th.) ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@hooked.net nnicole@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 19:13:24 -0400 Subject: Re: spiralling shape solo? +OAT In a message dated 96-05-09 19:02:43 EDT, Nicole writes: >Gee, I can't think of any more. You guys wanna help me out? First, >let me skip to the #1 thread: let's see, I wasn't actually here for the thread but "Mr. Blobby"... what else... Mike Rose's odd book that he's always quoting from... PINK (or) [blue]... and I'm sure there are more... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 19:24:37 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Re: spiralling shape solo? +OAT I don't own the KitH soundtrack, so I don't know about that version. But at the Mercury Lounge show on Mar 28, Linnell had an amazing keyboard solo. He had the keyboard programmed to make some nifty psychidellic sound. He played and bent the notes around, and it was by far the best bit of soloing I've heard from Them. He was awesome, and I hate to use that word, but he was. Linnell rocks. --Jack, who has yet to go insane from the Spiraling Shape http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 19:31:26 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: spiralling shape solo? +OAT >I've been listening to Spiralling Shape (again and again and again) >and I've got a question: what instrument is being used in the brief >instrumental solos at the end? It sounds like a xylophone. Is it? >I'm pretty sure it's not a glockenspiel (at least, it sounds.. um, >mellower (yeah, I know. Wrong word) and less relentlessly bright >than whatever Doherty was pounding on in WDTSS). A synth maybe? >Anyone know? The solos in Spiralling Shape are on a vibraphone, or at least a really good synthesizer rendition of a vibraphone. For those who want to know the difference, Glockenspiel: A small, high-pitched keyboard instrument with metal bars Xylophone: A larger keyboard with wooden bars Marimba: Even larger keyboard with wooden bars and "resonators" (those tubes under the keys) Vibraphone: Like a marimba with metal bars, except that there is a motor attached that makes little blades spin in the resonators, making the tone of the instrument vibrate. Chimes, Tubular Bells: Those big upright tubes, as heard on Destination Moon. -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 16:31:07 -0700 From: Spudster Subject: Let's pick a name for the girl on the cover of John Henry Thanks Nicole. I'd have to say that she looks like a Summer, or a Jessica. -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 19:45:15 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Re: Let's pick a name for the girl on the cover of John Henry Been there. Done that. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 19:02:02 -0400 From: jenns@voicenet.com (jennifer schival) Subject: good question a question was asked that i haven't seen the answer to. (but i'm not subscribed to the list, only the digest so...) why does everyone have @tmbg.org accounts? i feel left out! and thanks to person who gave the info on Ben Folds Five. jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter who has not written to the list for awhile. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 19:59:43 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: good question >a question was asked that i haven't seen the answer to. (but i'm not >subscribed to the list, only the digest so...) why does everyone have >@tmbg.org accounts? i feel left out! Check the unofficial web page for details: http://www.tmbg.org/ -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 11:10:57 -0400 (EDT) From: "'Nette" Subject: WAH!!!!!!! Oh, no! the semester is nearly over! that means I gotta go home soon, and I gotta unsubscribe for the summer. [or until I open an a-o-hell account] So, since I'm going to miss contacting you all so much, HERE is my snail mail addy!!! write often!!! waste a stamp! Jeanette Frost 18 Universal Ave Iselin, NJ 08830 I love you all!!! Have a giant summer, 'Nette +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Now, THAT'S comedy." - Slappy Squirrel +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "I was unsupervised, I had a real good time. Until I - I hit my head" - John Flansburg "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" Mono Puff - +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Check out my Web Page!! http://www.trenton.edu/~frost/ Jeanette Frost | aka Johnette Frostburg | Trenton State College frost@trenton.edu frostburg@tmbg.org nette@tmbg.org +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Mailing Aliases Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 20:02:10 -0400 (EDT) As I mentioned before I'm having some trouble with the e-mail alias system. I have been working on a replacement system that will fix all of the problems, unfortunately a new one has come up. It appears mail addresses are getting mutilated when people @tmbg.org send mail to the list. I'm going to fix all of these problems before installing any more new aliases. Unfortuntely I'm going to be out of town next week so it will probably be at least two weeks before I can get this all fixed up. Please be patient. Mail aliases currently in place will continue to work as they do now. People can successfully send mail to you with them. I'm sorry about all the trouble. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Testing.... Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 20:36:01 -0400 (EDT) Testing, please ignore. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: One last test. Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 20:57:33 -0400 (EDT) Sorry about this folks. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 18:22:02 -0700 From: Spudster Subject: I know when I'm stupid Okay, I know when I'm stupid. Don't rub it in. -- Spud "...adventure, excitement, the Jedi crave not these things," -Silent Bob, Mallrats ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 18:59:29 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Re: bands (grammar) >(actually displeased in less you like these shows) I hate to be picky but it annoys the hell out of me when people make grammatical/spelling errors like that. "in less" should be unless. -rclark@tmbg.org Ryan Clark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 22:36:30 -0400 From: jenns@voicenet.com (jennifer schival) Subject: scary thoughts here's something that i just thought of (because i wanted an @tmbg.org address!) anang@tmbg.org (from Ana Ng) and anangel@tmbg.org (from She's An Angel) would be almost the same address. scary thought, eh? jenn, the girl with a crown and a scepter ps. maybe someone else has more spare time than me and already noticed this and brought it up. if so, i'm sorry for this completely pointless piece of mail. in fact, i'm sorry anyway... _______________________________________________________________________ I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 23:54:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Mike Rose Subject: Re: Voting, atomic energy, all that stuff On Wed, 8 May 1996, Ryan Staib wrote: > XTC only has 3 votes. This and other things surprised me alot. > For example, no one from the Hello CD club got any votes, > besides Frank Black, who got one. This is quite strange. > RS > I voted for XTC. What meaning does life have without them? I've been too busy for the last 3 days to check my e-mail, I was doing location sound for an independent student movie. We were shooting in various schools so I always made sure to write THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS in huge letters on the blackboards. I also spent much of the down time singing TMBG songs to myself, sometimes louder than just to myself as in the time I suddenly belted out Santa's Beard for my boom operator. (Brandon Rozen of the Simpletones, actually). But I always sense a mild annoyance as I continue to mention TMBG over time. Ah well. Some people will never see the light. AND NOW, BY LACK OF POPULAR DEMAND (RUPRECHT EXCLUDED) HERE IS, INCREDIBLY, THE SIXTH INSTALMENT OF: SEXUAL INNUENDO IN "THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY" (1957) (you know by now I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel but what the hell) -Then he glanced at his watch. "Well, time for lunch, boys. Guess we'll have to put this stuff away." -"If you boys are really interested in atomic energy, we'll make another kind of radiation detector when we get home. That is, if Randy can control himself." -Randy sat back, exasperated, and glared at his little brother Sam. "Now look what you made me do. Glass all over the table." -"Ouch!" Randy winced. "I deserved that." -Look out!" cried Sam, leaping back. A chair toppled over with a crash. "Don't be scared. It can't hurt you if you're careful." -"Good. Scrape off as much of that yellowish stuff as you can." -"Well, then--what causes the burn?" Sam wanted to know. -"We'll have to find another way. A simple way, that doesn't take any special equipment. Any ideas, Randy?" -"Sam, how would you like to do an experiment?" "Gee, yes!" "First find a shoe box...then get a roll of unexposed film out of my desk drawer and bring my key chain with the big Mexican penny on it." -"How about my experiment, Dad?" Randy asked. "Coming up," Mr. Morrow said. -After trying without success to pry it off with his finger nails, he tried to dissolve the glue that held it on. Rubbing alcohol finally did the trick. If there's any more to be found, you know I'll post 'em. Stay hungry, Mike ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 01:04:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Alex Gershon Subject: email go poof I probably shouldn't post this on email, but I think I'll have to blow up my school! For some unknown reason, they shut down the email system for about 5 hours today, and although they promised no incoming mail would be lost, all incoming mail was lost. If anybody on the list sent me personal messages, please re-send them. If nobody on the list sent me personal messages, why not send some now? There will be another email shutdown on the 17th, this time for something like 12 hours, so expect a similar message when that happens. My apologies go out to those who don't care about any of this. Bye. Alex ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-131 ******************************