Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-133 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 133 Sunday, 12 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Let's pick a name for the girl on the cover of John Henry Newport and Bogart's Re: spiralling shape solo? +OAT List Volume this summer :( Re: Newport and Bogart's [Directions?????] Re: List Volume this summer :( Re: List Volume this summer :( last post? Re: List Volume this summer :( Re: List Volume this summer :( TMBG on the radio! and other stuff... Re: List Volume this summer :( list volume this Summer Wild OATs T=shirt design Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-132 Re: list volume this Summer Re: Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. Re: "One More Parade" by TMBG Gordon Gano Song LoFi FAQ List Volume and advice RE: B-52s/It/Id Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. I'll be there! Re: Stuff water Re: Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. Re: water Re: Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 10:37:11 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: Let's pick a name for the girl on the cover of John Henry At 07:45 PM 5/9/96 -0400, you wrote: > >Been there. Done that. Oh, no...not this again. _________________________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left- Handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 10:36:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Newport and Bogart's Ben or Been here, as hyper as a hippie at the death of Harry Harcia. I'll be attending the Newport concert on Thursday, and I may even make it to the Bogart's concert in Cincinnati on Friday. If all works well, I'll be seeing TMBG two nights in a row!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck, Ben or Been PS--What happened to all of the people on the Digest? Out of school for the year? PPS--I'll change Ben's Dial-A-Song sometime today. To what, I've yet to determine. (614) 823-BLUE Adieu. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 10:40:14 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: Re: spiralling shape solo? +OAT At 07:13 PM 5/9/96 -0400, you wrote: >In a message dated 96-05-09 19:02:43 EDT, Nicole writes: > >>Gee, I can't think of any more. You guys wanna help me out? First, >>let me skip to the #1 thread: > >let's see, I wasn't actually here for the thread but "Mr. Blobby"... what >else... Mike Rose's odd book that he's always quoting from... PINK (or) >[blue]... and I'm sure there are more... I could post the reasons to be blue list again if anyone really wants to see it.. I personally am sick of it, but I haven't had the heart to rm it yet. _________________________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left- Handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 10:44:52 -0400 From: The Big Blue Dog Subject: List Volume this summer :( Hey, how many are actually going away? It could get pretty dull around here if everyone leaves. BlueDawg, who will stick around. _________________________________________________________________________ S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left- Handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Newport and Bogart's [Directions?????] Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 11:06:32 -0500 (EST) Can somebody on the list who is familiar with Ohio give me addresses and directions to the two Ohio shows? I'll be coming in to the cities east from Indiana on the interstate(s). I'd hate to get lost driving around... Thanks, m@t ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncils.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: List Volume this summer :( Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 11:22:44 -0500 (CDT) > Hey, how many are actually going away? It could get pretty dull around here > if everyone leaves. Hey, I'll be around to fill up yer mailbox with useless junk! ;) -CJ Drawing on my fine command | CJ "Cyborg" Kucera -- St. Norbert College of language, I said nothing. | http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez - Mark Twain |~"~'~"'`"~"~"~"~"~~"`"`"`'`"~"`'~"`'~"~"~~"`"`"~ ...........................,.*' WOW: Modularity ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 12:38:22 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: List Volume this summer :( Christopher J. Kucera wrote: > > > Hey, how many are actually going away? It could get pretty dull around here > > if everyone leaves. > > Hey, I'll be around to fill up yer mailbox with useless junk! ;) Me Too Yeha I'll be here, and I'll will with my useless comments on what I hope is my first TMBG show(june Fairfax Fair). -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- "I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar" -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 12:51:14 -0400 (EDT) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: last post? i'm not sure if this will be my last post...i have access to my account, but i cant check it all the time, and if the volume is too high...i'll stay on a little and we'll see what happens. anyway...sorry to get back on the grammar thing, but i realized my mistake....it's not the line : "if i were a carpenter"...it's a line much closer to the beginning... for some reaason the line is not popping to mind now, argh! but it is the same situation as before...They really DO say "if i WAS" but it was at a different point in the song. someone help! i dont have my cd here, argh! i know it, my brain is just fried now...someone take a look for me, ok? talk to you guys later! --fran, AKA the Vonnegut Vassal oh ok! i remember! "i said if i WAS smart, that i would..." ^ | this may not be the right word, but...i wasnt wrong about incorrect grammar! bye! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 13:50:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Mike Rose Subject: Re: List Volume this summer :( On Sat, 11 May 1996, The Big Blue Dog wrote: > Hey, how many are actually going away? It could get pretty dull around here > if everyone leaves. > > BlueDawg, who will stick around. Hey, I'll be here, all the time, unsupervised. (Ouch!) Um, and you never know when Sam and Randy may haunt this list again. Thanks to all who have expressed support. Fight the power!! (of atomic energy) Mike ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 15:05:43 -0400 Subject: Re: List Volume this summer :( >Hey, how many are actually going away? It could get pretty dull around here if >everyone leaves. > >BlueDawg, who will stick around. I'll be around too. . I can also talk about my first show, at U of C next Saturday after state for track. Wo-haa! Wo-haa! tucker ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 15:10:44 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: TMBG on the radio! and other stuff... I just heard TMBG on whfs(99.1 fm washington DC, baltimore) they played Don't lets start on saturday @ 2:58pm, I was had just turned on the radio on there it was. Now I hope when they relase a new single HFS gives them some decent air play(snail shell got okay air play). My brother got werid Al's new album, and it is great and the everything you know is wrong song does definatly sound tmbg'ish.(yeha I know it's old news) How of you listers who are still conceted are going to june 7th show at the fairfax fair? and are any of you coming great distances? BTW if you need for info the Fairfax fair has a web site @ http://www.ffxfair.org/events/ the site doesn't have any info on the TMBG, but the schedules for concerts haven't been put on line yet so hopefully they will be listed when these come on line. -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site Comming Back Soon URL TBA Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar" -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 15:40:25 -0400 (EDT) From: "M.C.I." Subject: Re: List Volume this summer :( I will be going to the digest but I'll still be here. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ? "Spring time, is on my mind. Flowers blooming, all the time. Smell the ? ? roses, smell the grass. Old man winter, can kiss my ass." - Spinal Tap ? ? ? ? "Today your love. Tomorrow the world." - The Ramones ? ? ? ? M.C.I. ? ? or baumi@tmbg.org ? ? or baumi@alleg.edu ? ? ? ? White Heterosexual Males of the world Unite!!!!! ? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 16:24:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: list volume this Summer I can say that the list has already significantly slowed down...usually I get a eighty or so messages from the list daily, and today I have only recieved about ten. Same with all the other lists I am on too. But alas, I have nowhere to go to, so I will be sticking around here all Summer. :( At least I'll still get to talk to you wonderful people! :) Amanda KosherBacon@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Subject: Wild OATs Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 14:35:02 -0600 On the subject of gramma, I'll tangent into spelling: >My brother got werid Al's new album, and it is great and the everything >you know is wrong song does definatly sound tmbg'ish. >How of you listers who are still conceted are going to june 7th show at >the fairfax fair? Here are three examples of frequently misspelled words, actually, the first is just a Typo, but the other two (Definately and Connected) are often misspelled...What, or is he meaning to call us conceited? {Relevance here: I think I found a misspelled word in one of the liner notes once, but I can't remember where...} And, on the list life: >Hey, how many are actually going away? It could get pretty dull around >here if everyone leaves. >BlueDawg, who will stick around. As will I, unless someone (Hrm!) Decides to bring up the Blue-pink debate or Mr. Blobby (A Debate which I admittedly propogated) or ... -Rabid Child (I may leave in the Fall when I go to school, but I'll try and hop back on... Any way, you're stuck with me for the summer...) I've got one of the trendy new aliases! Rabid_Child@tmbg.org Mail Me some groovin' Vibes! ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to: Rabid_Child@tmbg.org * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 16:31:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: T=shirt design My everso-not-famous t-shirt ticket design will be posted as soon as possible...i had a hard drive crash and am now recreating everything..been off the net for a week (400 messages!!!!) so i'm catching up..i'll u/l to tom ohare (is that right) and you can check it out on his page....l8rz...and thanx cortney..no bootie and the hofish tickets for me.... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 18:46:51 -0500 (CDT) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. I'm one of those people that has too many favorite bands, so I'll just pick three I doubt many others will: 1. The Mermen (has *anyone* else heard of these guys?) 2. Bad Religion 3. The Breeders On the subject of The Mermen, I noticed that Jim Thomas is credited as playing drums on Apollo 18....Jim Thomas is the guitarist in the Mermen. Anybody know if these are the same guys? I kinda doubt it, since A18 says he appears courtesy of Bar None records, and the Mermen aren't on that label. Also: I discovered that John Linnel and Kurt Hoffman played on Frank Black's debut!!!!! Cool, yet another link between two cool artists! > > Has anyone else but me noticed what a profoundly dark album John Henry is? > > I just kind of came to that realization a few days ago... I think TMBG has always been kinda dark. I mean, when They picked Their name didn't They say They wanted something "outward-looking and paranoind"? I really love it, because Their music always seems to be very angst-filled, frustrated, paranoid, freaky lyrics sung to happy, cheerful melodies with bouncy, poppy background music. It's such a refreshing contrast....maybe that's why TMBG is the only happy, poppy band (exept the Beatles and maybe XTC) I really love: a somewhat pessimistic person just can't take happy music AND lyrics. Hmm. (these two are kinda old:) > But, inside, there's a review of the new Barenaked Ladies album, _Born on > a pirate ship_. It got 4 records out of five, and in it the reviewer says > (and I quote): > "Essentially, they sound like They Might Be Giants with an attention > span." I listened to Barenaked Ladies a while ago, and I just really didn't like them. Am I the only one here? Their lyrics just didn't seem as interesting as TMBG's....mostly pop love songs. (It seems like TMBG's love songs are always skewed somehow, I love that) > Does anyone know about the release of the TMBG/Gordon Gano song?? > Does anyone know if it is going to be released? **WHOAH**!!!! Where did this come from?!?!?!?? That would be awesome! I guess that's it.....bye %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 19:04:40 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-132 >> Nicole's ideas for the Top Ten Threads: >> 10) Let's pick a name for the girl on the cover of John Henry!jessica You know, I'd bet the girl already has a name, so you don't need to be renaming her or anything. I mean, having ONE name is sometimes confusing. >------------------------------ To the gal who believes that the Nebraska radio station finally got cool, don't be fooled. I don't know if THEY are coming to town soon, but I'd watch for it. My local alternative radio station, 105.7 The Point in StLouis, always goes TMBG-crazy when THEY come to play at PointFest in the summer. Otherwise, picking the time that they'll play TMBG is like finding a needle in a haystack. And that's AFTER TMBG have played here three summers in a row, and won Modern Rock Madness (some crazy call-in contest to find the ultimate band by caller votes) a few years back by a LANDSLIDE! And the DJs absolutely love them. I just don't get them. Also, speaking of minimum wage, you know I heard MTV using it as background for something or other. I think it was a commercial for their SpudTV, or whatever that thing is where the kid, who used to be on public access, got a slot on MTV. I thought THAT was pretty damn cool. Actually, it's sad, but it took my a while to figure out which song it was! My first guess was Spacesuit. >------------------------------ Andy Puckett puck@apci.net "I ran out of gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to God!!!!" -Jake Blues ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 20:38:14 -0400 Subject: Re: list volume this Summer I'll be here, too, unless I melt away in the brutal Miami summer sun. I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that State Songs and Mono Puff rule! Hangin' in there, Kay ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 20:52:47 -0400 Subject: Re: Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. In a message dated 96-05-11 19:50:31 EDT, jneely01@mail.orion.org (John E. Neely) writes: > >> Does anyone know about the release of the TMBG/Gordon Gano song?? >> Does anyone know if it is going to be released? >**WHOAH**!!!! Where did this come from?!?!?!?? That would be awesome! >I guess that's it.....bye I think that this was mentioned in the last Newsletter from the info club... it was something like They (and a whole bunch of other bands) were going to do a song written by Gordon Gano (of the Violent Femmes, for those who don't know) for the soundtrack of some Indie move that he was doing... a spooky man named me (in case people can't tell from my *evil aol* address, I'll be around to pester you this summer too) [when AOL's office gets bombed I didn't do it] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 20:14:18 -0500 (CDT) From: charma21@gbvaxa.uwgb.edu Subject: Re: "One More Parade" by TMBG I was in a used cd store today and found two copies of the Elektra Rubaiyat cd. I picked one up for myself, but if anyone else is interested I could send it to them. It's a 2 cd set, and it's yours for $16 and postage. Let me know if you're interested.... Molly ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 20:20:49 -0500 (CDT) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Gordon Gano Song On Sat, 11 May 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > >> Does anyone know about the release of the TMBG/Gordon Gano song?? > >> Does anyone know if it is going to be released? > I think that this was mentioned in the last Newsletter from the info club... > it was something like They (and a whole bunch of other bands) were going to > do a song written by Gordon Gano (of the Violent Femmes, for those who don't > know) for the soundtrack of some Indie move that he was doing... Dang, I thought they might be *performing* together. Oh, well. I'm gonna be here this summer, too. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 07:37:54 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: LoFi FAQ Just to answer some of the questions I keep getting, here are a couple of Q&A's about LoFi: Q. I can record for probably 50 people. Is that enough? A. When I set up the tree, no branch should have to record for more than ten people, tops. More than that, it just gets *too* annoying for the person. :-) Q. Can I be on a high-level branch? I want a good recording. A. The tape tree will probably just have one level of branches, but that of course depends on the number of responses I get. So far, though, one level seems pretty feasible. That means all tapes would either be straight from me or only one generation removed. Q. Hi! I want a tape! Bye! A. I at least need your name and address to add you to my list! Q. What's on the tape? A. Read the message I posted to the list called "The Low-Fidelity Experience." Q. When will the tape be ready to go? A. That entirely depends on when the Realaudio concert is finally put up on Rick Petty's website. Once I download it, I can finish the tape. Q. What do you mean by Position II/CrO2? A. Tapes can be made of different materials, and certain kinds of tapes should be recorded in certain ways to ensure quality. I'm setting up this tape tree to use Maxell XLII 90 minute tapes, recorded in Position II or CrO2 (Two names for the same thing). If you don't know if your tape deck can record like this, and cant find a switch with that marking on the deck, don't fret. Become a leaf of the tree and don't make tapes for others. I have plenty of volunteers for branches. -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Subject: List Volume and advice Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 13:39:31 +1000 (EST) From: Jezza Hey Everyone who's left, Amanda Douberly said she gets 80 messages a day from this list a DAY? Am I on the right TMBG list. Are you sure you don't mean 80 a WEEK ? Anyway, quite a few new CDs have arrived from the States this week one of which is the much-heralded Kids in the Hall s/track which I'm gonna buy as soon as I pay off my train fine.....Also I'm thinking of getting one more but can't choose between the Barenaked Ladies or the Dave Matthews band, both of which I've heard so much about on this list but have heard none of their actual music. So give us a hand, will's ya? Because They won't be coming down to Australia for another couple of years, the best I can do is see one of the members of the Whitlams, a band who supported TMBG last year. Hopefully I'll get to talk him and ask him what he thought of They when they came over last year. Anyway that's all from south of the equator. Adios, Jeremy. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 23:33:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: RE: B-52s/It/Id > The Go-Go's do rock, indeed! My fave is "Vacation". On another slightly > related note, I'm Go-Going to an 80's party on Thursday night! Whoo-hoo! > We're gonna all dance to cheezy music, and we all have to dress > accordingly. I'm gonna try to get my hair to do the whole "A Flock Of > Seagulls" thing. I'm gonna dance all night, and just have a ball. Hmmm. > Maybe I can get some overalls and go as one of the guys from Dexy's > Midnight Runners! PARTY! > Why don't you dress up as a goofy/nerdy (only because your unnervingly grim presence upsets most of the new wave crowd you happen to be poking fun at) black turtleneck, thick glasses,razor pants creases, wingtip getup, and maybe bring a pair of big papier mache hands while you're at it? Oh...yeahh...your party was a few nights ago. Well...forget it. erik gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 23:48:08 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. > If They Might Be Giants boarded Mrs. Train in Cowtown and headed east at > 70 mph, while at the same time, on the same track, the conductor with the > paper-white mask of evil turned his train around west, at 32 mph, from > the hall of heads, when would they collide? COPPEROPOLIS!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: I'll be there! Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 01:27:44 -0400 (EDT) > > I just heard TMBG on whfs(99.1 fm washington DC, baltimore) they played > Don't lets start on saturday @ 2:58pm, I was had just turned on the > radio on there it was. Now I hope when they relase a new single HFS > gives them some decent air play(snail shell got okay air play). > > My brother got werid Al's new album, and it is great and the everything > you know is wrong song does definatly sound tmbg'ish.(yeha I know it's > old news) > > How of you listers who are still conceted are going to june 7th show at > the fairfax fair? and are any of you coming great distances? BTW if you > need for info the Fairfax fair has a web site @ > http://www.ffxfair.org/events/ the site doesn't have any info on the > TMBG, but the schedules for concerts haven't been put on line yet so > hopefully they will be listed when these come on line. Heya, I'll be at the Fairfax Fair to see TMBG, wouldn't miss it for the world! I'll only be coming from Baltimore so not far away, but others further in Penn and NJ will be coming. I wonder how many songs and how long they will play for? from past shows I know that a few bands are usually there, I remember the Ocean Blue and Marshall somehting band was there I believe. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |Judybats|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 00:27:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Stuff > >>[x] you listen to "You Might Be A Redneck..." jokes > > HEY, I like Jeff Foxworthy and think that he is incredibly funny! I > probably am going to see him June 8th. Don't knock him! By the way, I live > in Chicago and I'm definitely NOT a redneck. yes...one of my favorites went something like: "Ma bursts into the house and announces at the top of her lungs, 'THE FEUD'S BACK ON!'" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 17:46:18 +1200 From: blue.canary@tmbg.org (Sam Pearson) Subject: water John Lambert wrote >> 6) Does water really spiral the wrong way out the sink?yes i believe >>that below the equator it does... Sorry to say this, but you are mistaken. Water below the equator spirals the right way out the sink, it spirals the wrong way in the NORTHERN hemisphere. :) This is proved in the song which goes something like: "My apartment looks upside down to her, water spirals the wrong way out the sink...etc". "My apartment", I think, is a reference to one of the John's apartments, which are in the Nouthern Hem. If it's not a John's, it's still talking about a apartment it the Nth Hem, thus if the water spirals THE WRONG WAY up there, it spirals THE RIGHT WAY down here. Go make long distance phone calls to Australia to check it out. He he he. Sam. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ sjp6@tmbg.org blue.canary@tmbg.org sjp6@waikato.ac.nz ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 00:58:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. > Also: I discovered that John Linnel and Kurt Hoffman played on Frank > Black's debut!!!!! Cool, yet another link between two cool artists! And on a similar note, Frank Black's apparently doing some kind of web chat thing Tues 5/14 at 6PM pacific time. Which is 7 mountain, 8 central, and 9 east coast? hehe. Check out Frank's homepage at American Recordings for exact details...and be aware that there's some goofy validation process for this whole web-whatever...so start planning early. Me...I have a barbecue to arrange with the man. erik ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 01:02:42 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: water > "My apartment", I think, is a reference to one of the John's apartments, > which are in the Nouthern Hem. If it's not a John's, it's still talking > about a apartment it the Nth Hem, thus if the water spirals THE WRONG WAY > up there, it spirals THE RIGHT WAY down here. right...this sort of fits in with their whole paranoia thing. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 23:08:16 -0800 From: gaufred@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kasey Hicks) Subject: Re: Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. >I'm one of those people that has too many favorite bands, so I'll just >pick three I doubt many others will: >1. The Mermen (has *anyone* else heard of these guys?) The Mermen kick some serious ass. I heard this indie radio show about a year ago where they interviewed (the great) Dick Dale and played him a bunch of different contemporary surf bands, and when he heard the Mermen, he voiced intense approval. As well he might. How about the Aqua-Velvas? Kasey "I must in hande with my familiar for a newe stratageme." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-133 ******************************