Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-134 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 134 Monday, 13 May 1996 Today's Topics: wow. Ben's Dial-A-Song Superfueled Re: Superfueled t-shirt mayhem The whole damn Sam and Randy experience Re: Newport and Bogart's [Directions?????] Re: List Volume and advice I'm Back! LTJ concert in Portland, OR Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-133 once again... BFF Chords summer and UofC Re: Newport and Bogart's [Directions?????] Re: Superfueled & Chords (plus a NEW thread!) Re: water radio Re: Superfueled & Chords (plus a NEW thread!) Ever notice how hard it is to think up subject lines when you're Re: Superfueled & Chords (plus a NEW thread!) Re: LTJ concert in Portland, OR Re: radio xtc I pal I Re: I'm Back! Re: once again... BFF Cinci or Clevelan? TMBG ON MTV Re: I pal I Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 12:33:36 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: wow. i was at a music store yesterday and it had the Kids in the Hall soundtrack on a listening station, so i picked up the headphones and heard one of my new favorite TMBG songs. i don't have enough $ right now to get the soundtrack, so i'm going to have to wait till they release the new album with Spiralling Shape on it. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 12:40:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben's Dial-A-Song Ben or Been here. Now featuring on Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE the Pietasters, with "Dollar Bill" Ska-like stuff. Adieu, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: Veruca555@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 13:54:31 -0400 Subject: Superfueled Whatever happened to "Superfueled Freaksicle?" Wasn't it supposed to come out? Any rumors of a summer tour? My friend saw Them in Elizabethtown last month and told me that they played all new songs. Maybe they'll release a new album soon. But, considering that they've released an album every two years since 1986 (86-TMBG, 88-Lincoln,90-Misc.T, 92-Flood, 94-John Henry), one should be out soon anyway. If They are on schedule. hope so. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 14:53:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Jason C Riek Subject: Re: Superfueled Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-May-96 Superfueled by Veruca555@aol.com > since 1986 (86-TMBG, 88-Lincoln,90-Misc.T, 92-Flood, 94-John Henry), one Actually, that's 86-TMBG, 88-Lincoln, 90-Flood, 92-Apollo 18, 94-JH, 96-??? ;-> Wanderlust =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "We all need some place... we can be the | Jason Riek people we should've been, instead of the | Carnegie Mellon University people we've become." ________________| wanderlust@cmu.edu -Julie Winters | http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~wander ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 96 15:20:46 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: t-shirt mayhem i have missed the last week's worth of messages because i went out of town, so this may be an uttlerly clueless question (if it is, just tell me nicely, please :D ), but i was wondering if the whole t-shirt thing got forgotten because of summer, or if it was still on? thanks in advance. :) peace, anne, who will be here for summer, too. ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 16:28:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Mike Rose Subject: The whole damn Sam and Randy experience Hi everybody! I decided to take all of my Sam and Randy posts and make one definitive post for all to see. So, here it is, now that I finally figured out how to do it. Then, I promise, if you want, I'll drop the subject forever. SEXUAL INNUENDO IN "THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY" (1957) PART ONE. (April 16, 1996) -"Quit fooling around and get back to rolling that stuff into little balls." -"My stack is nearly twice as big as yours." -"Sam, do you know where the next part of this experiment will be carried out?" "Where?" "In the darkest closet you can find." -"Okay, Dad, shoot." -"What's this instrument called, Dad?" -"Seems simple enough," Randy remarked. "It is--now that you know how to do it." -He left about an inch protruding from the top of the cork. -Randy rubbed faster and faster. The silk began to crackle. -"Swell!" Both boys exclaimed. Randy added cautiously, "it won't be expensive, will it?" -"Let me know how it comes out!" -Randy growled and flicked him with the towel. -"This isn't going to make any mess, is it?" "No, Mom. You can watch it, if you like." And now...MORE SEXUAL INNUENDO FROM THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY (1957): (April 16, 1996) -"This time I want to do it," Sam demanded. -"That seems funny, Dad." -Randy laughed. "Now you're just giving me the business." -"What a job to separate them!" Randy said. -"I see," said Sam. "Release the energy slowly--you get heat. Release it all at once, you get an explosion." -"The stuff!" Randy shouted. "It's here!" -"Is that so? You'll be coming around wanting me to help you five minutes after you get started." -"And I'll even be able to bend it if I soften it in boiling water a little." Okay...for no reason other than it amuses me, here is part three of: SEXUAL INNUENDO IN "THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY" (April 19, 1996) -"Give us the straight stuff, Mr. Bentsen." -"Some of the boys would say they just like the pay!" -"I wish it were possible to show you our modern remote control manipulators." -"I'd like to show you the caves where very hot materials are studied." -"A huge thing like that will have to be supported like a skyscraper." -"No touching anything, no sneaking off to look at things by yourself." -"All right," said Sam mournfully. "I'll do it, but I'm not happy about it." -"Quite a lot of equipment, eh boys?" their father asked. -"Mom isn't going to like that," Sam said ominously. Okay, okay, I couldn't help myself. Here's even more of the increasingly annoying SEXUAL INNUENDO IN "THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY" (1957) (April 22, 1996) -Sam looked mystified. "How do these things work?" -"Easy does it," said the salesman kindly. "You'll have your turn." -Randy said, "Thanks a lot for showing it to us, Mr. Barnett." -Sam streaked out of the room, heading for his bedroom closet. -"Sam, you get one of your mother's silk scarves. Randy, see if you can find a glass stirring rod." -"Even though you'll never be able to see what you're working with, your equations and your slide rule make it possible for you to visualize what's going on." -"This is something I worked up for my sister's boy last year." -"Gives you the creeps, doesn't it?" Randy said. -"Let me try," his brother ordered. He took over the instrument. "It is a little hotter, all right." -"Here we are, all dried," Randy announced. -Sam's eyes popped. "They can measure something that small?" -"Well, why not do it this way now?" Okay, okay. Believe it or not here is the fifth mind-numbing instalment of: SEXUAL INNUENDO IN "THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY" (1957) (April 23, 1996) -"But Dad!" Randy exclaimed. "Where did the mass go?" -"All that energy! From that little speck!" Randy asked incredulously. -But at last all the balls were in position. -"The reaction would start, and go faster and faster and faster--" "Wait!" Sam said. "How can we get it to stop?" -And Sam faced a dilemma here, for he had no tubing with such a small diameter. -"Bet I beat Randy!" Sam said to himself. -Curiosity began to get the better of him... Of course he really should wait until Randy invited him to inspect it. But on the other hand... -"Aw, I just wanted to see how you were comin'," Sam mumbled. "I'll show you," Randy said good-naturedly. "No need to come sneaking around." "Gee," breathed Sam. -And the deeper he got into his project, the more fascinated he became. -There was very little sticking, thanks to the waxed paper. -Randy sat back to admire his work. "Doesn't that look swell?" he asked. -"Which one do you like best, Mom?" Sam asked. "I think both of you boys have done a marvelous job," Mrs. Morrow said diplomatically. AND NOW, BY LACK OF POPULAR DEMAND (RUPRECHT EXCLUDED) HERE IS, INCREDIBLY, THE SIXTH INSTALMENT OF: SEXUAL INNUENDO IN "THERE'S ADVENTURE IN ATOMIC ENERGY" (1957) (you know by now I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel but what the hell) (May 9, 1996) -Then he glanced at his watch. "Well, time for lunch, boys. Guess we'll have to put this stuff away." -"If you boys are really interested in atomic energy, we'll make another kind of radiation detector when we get home. That is, if Randy can control himself." -Randy sat back, exasperated, and glared at his little brother Sam. "Now look what you made me do. Glass all over the table." -"Ouch!" Randy winced. "I deserved that." -Look out!" cried Sam, leaping back. A chair toppled over with a crash. "Don't be scared. It can't hurt you if you're careful." -"Good. Scrape off as much of that yellowish stuff as you can." -"Well, then--what causes the burn?" Sam wanted to know. -"We'll have to find another way. A simple way, that doesn't take any special equipment. Any ideas, Randy?" -"Sam, how would you like to do an experiment?" "Gee, yes!" "First find a shoe box...then get a roll of unexposed film out of my desk drawer and bring my key chain with the big Mexican penny on it." -"How about my experiment, Dad?" Randy asked. "Coming up," Mr. Morrow said. -After trying without success to pry it off with his finger nails, he tried to dissolve the glue that held it on. Rubbing alcohol finally did the trick. Well, that's it, that's all of them. I hope you enjoyed them. Thank you. Mike. "Let's blow the fuck out of the Safeway!" Randy exclaimed. "Yeah, man! I'll get the atomic weapon from under my bed!" His brother Sam yelled. "We'll show them. We'll show them all!" Randy sat on the front step and rubbed his hands together diabolically. "When Dad got me started with building geiger counters and other atomic devices, I'll bet he never thought I'd ever parlay that knowledge into evil atomic pranks. I am, after all, just an average American teen who spends all his time with his younger brother in dark rooms spreading radium paint all over the place, scratching radium dust off of clock faces, prospecting for radioactive ore, and masturbating so much my dick glows in the dark! Well, wait till he finds out my plan for world domination!" He started to chortle darkly and before long the dusk air was filled with his laughter. Sam shot out the front door holding the atomic bomb, and stopped short when he saw Randy. "Oh, man, are you beating off again?" "You secure that shit," Randy said. --There's Adventure In Atomic Energy, 1957 Oh yeah...TMBG. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 18:28:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Newport and Bogart's [Directions?????] I, too need directions, although I live in Ohio. Living near Cleveland does not somehow confer a magical status upon me which allows me to know where things in Columbus (4 hours away) and Cincinatti (5-6 hours away) are located, nor how to get there. However, if we call these two places, do you think they'll be able to tell us how to get there? If they can tell us how to get there if we're close, I think my dad can probably direct you from Indiana. Hey, maybe Ben knows (or nose)? RS (Sorry about that nose thing, Ben) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 16:02:05 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: List Volume and advice >Hey Everyone who's left, > Amanda Douberly said she gets 80 messages a day from >this list a DAY? Am I on the right TMBG list. Are you sure you don't mean 80 >a WEEK ? I WISH I was getting 80 a week. I'm getting AT LEAST 50 messages a day.. not only from this list.. but I only get 6 or 7 from other sources. Anyway, it's getting ridiculous for me, I mean, I'm a TMBG fan, but I'm currently wading through 200 messages, I haven't done mail for a bit, and I'm only reading 8-9 of them. I've tried 4 or 5 times to unsubscribe and get on the digest, but it isn't working, for some reason. Is anyone else having trouble? Can they give me a hand on what I'm doing wrong? The Almighty Cowgod "Do I need to understand every word from every man, or everything from every band... ...Do we really need to say much more than its all been done before?" -Less Than Jake, "Short on Ideas" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 16:11:49 -0700 From: jantsch@ix.netcom.com (Bert Jantsch) Subject: I'm Back! Hello again. I'm back. Just thought I'd let you know. JaN+sChMAn Visit my World! http://www.netcom.com/~jantsch/world.htm ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 16:17:24 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: LTJ concert in Portland, OR Wow. I can say that this was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. LTJ was on fire.. but.. where was Jessica? Is there problems with the band, is she sick, what's up? Anyway, they invited people to come up on stage and get naked for free stuff. About 4 or 5 people came up.. 1 female. They all went backstage too! The crowd kinda sucked; lots of big burly guys with no rythm or skanking ability whatsoever, shoving people around and grabbing free stuff from people; LTJ looked a bit annoyed as well... it was a bit rough for me. I don't have a set list, but I can try to hash out what i remember... Down to the Mission Liquor Store Where the Hell is Mike Sinkovich? (I yelled out, "Philadelphia!") My Very Own Flag Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts Shotgun Jen Doesn't like me Anymore Well, this probably isn't in order, but it's close.. and I'm pretty sure they played more.. I think they played a Bruce Lee Band song as well, amongst others. I yelled at 'em to call Michael Cariaso, but no one heard me. That's okay. Didn't catch any free stuff, but I bought a "losers, kings.." T-shirt, LTJ hat, and Pezcore CD. I guess I could write about the others as well. I hadn't heard Skankin' Pickle much, but they were darn good. Pretty decent crowd for them. They put on a good show. I've never seen a bad Cherry Poppin' Daddies show. :) First thing said was, "It sure is good to be home," and they showed it. Crowd was heavily into it; played a good mixture of each album. Great set. I was exhausted. :) Do you know approx. how many other people from Portland are on the list? There were quite a few LTJ fans there, yelling out requests.. The Almighty Cowgod "Do I need to understand every word from every man, or everything from every band... ...Do we really need to say much more than its all been done before?" -Less Than Jake, "Short on Ideas" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 18:51:05 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-133 Molly said: > I was in a used cd store today and found two copies of the Elektra >Rubaiyat cd. What is on it? It apparently has something to do with "One More Parade," unless your subject line was blatantly wrong. I'm a newbie, and I'm lost. Andy puck@apci.net "When I made a shadow on my window shade, they called the police and testified. But they're like the people chained up in the cave in the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy." ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 19:54:51 -0400 Subject: once again... BFF since there obviously been some interest in Ben Folds Five here... their new video 'Uncle Walter' will be debuting in the first half of 120 minutes on MTV tonight... my apologies to people who get this tomorrow (monday) a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 17:02:07 -0700 From: jantsch@ix.netcom.com (Bert Jantsch) Subject: Chords Hi I was at the unofficial page the other day and I downloaded some chords. Now I can play some pretty cool songs. I got I Palindrome I, Turn Around, Dinner Bell, and another one I don't remember. JaN+sChMAn Visit my world! www.netcom.com/~jantsch/world.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 19:35:11 -0600 From: c-batson@nwu.edu (Cyndi Batson) Subject: summer and UofC Yep, I'll be here this summer. I'm curious as to what the total numbers will be. Also, anyone going to the University of Chicago show this Saturday, e-mail me. I'm going!!! Let's see if we can meet. Howdy, there CJ. Welcome back:) +--------+ +-----------+ +----------+ +-----------+ | Cyndi | ---> | c-batson@ | ---> | cyn@ | ---> | ph: (847) | | Batson | | nwu.edu | | tmbg.org | | 332-9052 | +--------+ +-----------+ +----------+ +-----------+ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Newport and Bogart's [Directions?????] Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 20:24:08 -0500 (EST) > > I, too need directions, although I live in Ohio. Living near > Cleveland does not somehow confer a magical status upon me which allows > me to know where things in Columbus (4 hours away) and Cincinatti (5-6 > hours away) are located, nor how to get there. Really? I'd always heard the opposite about living near Cleveland:-) > However, if we call these two places, do you think they'll be able to > tell us how to get there? If I could just get addresses for the clubs I'm sure I could get there (although directions would be good, too...) > they can tell us how to get there if we're close, I think my dad can > probably direct you from Indiana. > I can get to Columbus and Cinci OK from Indiana, the problem is how to get to the clubs once I'm there... (Let me know what you find out, Ryan.) So somebody please help us out or else we'll keep babbling about this all week...! m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 22:29:36 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Re: Superfueled & Chords (plus a NEW thread!) On Sun, 12 May 1996 Veruca555@aol.com wrote: > Whatever happened to "Superfueled Freaksicle?" Whatever happened to "Alien Autopsy?" I downloaded a lot of chords myself. I'm happy cause now I can play "The End Of The Tour" ----------------------NEW TOPIC--------------------------------------------- Ok, for all of you who have seen Them perform live, a question: How come when They perform Spy live, They don't include the audience anymore? It was so much cooler back when They did that. Linnell would point at the audience, and everyone would yell "SPY!" during the improv section at the end. It was so much fun. I don't know if any of you have seen Them do it, except for Matt because he was at the Wolf Trap show where I saw Them do it. But They did it back then, and I wish that They would do it now. Maybe They'll do it in Fairfax. They'd better, cause I'm driving all the way from North Jersey just to see my two favorite guys named John. And they'd better play Fingertips, too! OK, maybe that's pushing it. But I like shows with lots of audience participation, and that's why the old Spy was so damn cool. Oh, and for all of you going to the Fairfax show, look out for me. I'll be wearing a "Hello my name is Jack" name tag sticker, and weather permitting, I'll be wearing it on my boo-tiful Hawaiin shirt. I look forward to meeting many-a-lister down there. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to unsubscribe to the list on Wednesday, because I'm leaving school. As soon as I get a modem and an account somewhere, I'll be right back in here, though. If anyone wants to get in touch with me, I'll provide all of my info at the bottom of the page. You COULD e-mail me here, because I'll be checking periodically, but I can't guarantee that I'll be getting it in a timely fashion. Well, I'll see you all around. Have a great summer! Try not to have too much fun without me! --Jack, your friendly neighborhood Snowball In Hell http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn jcurley@ramapo.edu (201) 794-0235 or snail mail me at JUNK MAIL 7-18 Manor Ave Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 (I only accept Polk stamps) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: water Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 12:49:28 +1000 (EST) From: Jeremy Leung > >> 6) Does water really spiral the wrong way out the sink?yes i believe > >>that below the equator it does... > Sorry to say this, but you are mistaken. Ditto.... > "My apartment", I think, is a reference to one of the John's apartments, > which are in the Nouthern Hem. If it's not a John's, it's still talking > about a apartment it the Nth Hem, thus if the water spirals THE WRONG WAY > up there, it spirals THE RIGHT WAY down here. > > Go make long distance phone calls to Australia to check it out. He's right y'know. It's true. I've checked. > > He he he. > Sam. Onya Sam, you tell 'em mate! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 22:52:55 -0400 (EDT) From: MATTHEW D BURKART Subject: radio Hi everyone, Last year when They came to Cincinnati the radio station out of Miami (Ohio) University , WOXY 99.7, did an interview with They and played a few songs. On friday They will be across the street from my dorm room in Cincinnati so They might be on again. I e-mailed the station (woxy97X@ix.netcom.com) a couple days ago and they are not sure if They are stopping by yet for sure. If you do come down from that direction you may want to go thru Oxford to pick up the radio station and highway 27 will go staight to 75 and Bogarts. Along 27 a bridge about 10 miles south of oxford and the first bridge after you cross the Great Miami River has painted on it "I don't want the world, I just want your half." Has anyone else seen quotes on bridges from They? Thanks to everyone who informed me about the content of the Zima soundtrack. I have gotten the Brain Candy soundtrack since giving up on Zima and I really like "Spiralling Shape." I will be one of the many getting off the list at the end of the school year, but I don't get out until early June. "97X BAAAM!" (Dustin Hoffman in the movie "Rain Man" referring to the afore mentioned radio station.) Matt Burkart ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Superfueled & Chords (plus a NEW thread!) Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 23:27:27 -0400 (EDT) Heya, I don't know why they didn't do that for Spy, 11 of trhe 12 concerts I've been to have included the nifty Spy audience participation and the only reason they didn't play it at #12 was because it was the Edison show and they didn't play Spy. Ahh well that is kinda stinky. (Actually did they play Spy at Etown? I can't rembmer) See ya in Virginia. Matt > > On Sun, 12 May 1996 Veruca555@aol.com wrote: > > > Whatever happened to "Superfueled Freaksicle?" > > Whatever happened to "Alien Autopsy?" > > > I downloaded a lot of chords myself. I'm happy cause now I can play "The > End Of The Tour" > > ----------------------NEW TOPIC--------------------------------------------- > > Ok, for all of you who have seen Them perform live, a question: > > How come when They perform Spy live, They don't include the audience > anymore? It was so much cooler back when They did that. Linnell would > point at the audience, and everyone would yell "SPY!" during the improv > section at the end. It was so much fun. I don't know if any of you have > seen Them do it, except for Matt because he was at the Wolf Trap show > where I saw Them do it. But They did it back then, and I wish that They > would do it now. Maybe They'll do it in Fairfax. They'd better, cause I'm > driving all the way from North Jersey just to see my two favorite guys > named John. And they'd better play Fingertips, too! OK, maybe that's > pushing it. But I like shows with lots of audience participation, and > that's why the old Spy was so damn cool. > > Oh, and for all of you going to the Fairfax show, look out for me. I'll > be wearing a "Hello my name is Jack" name tag sticker, and weather > permitting, I'll be wearing it on my boo-tiful Hawaiin shirt. I look > forward to meeting many-a-lister down there. Unfortunately, I'm going to > have to unsubscribe to the list on Wednesday, because I'm leaving school. > As soon as I get a modem and an account somewhere, I'll be right back in > here, though. If anyone wants to get in touch with me, I'll provide all > of my info at the bottom of the page. You COULD e-mail me here, because > I'll be checking periodically, but I can't guarantee that I'll be getting > it in a timely fashion. Well, I'll see you all around. Have a great > summer! Try not to have too much fun without me! > > > --Jack, your friendly neighborhood Snowball In Hell > http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn > jcurley@ramapo.edu > (201) 794-0235 > or snail mail me at > JUNK MAIL > 7-18 Manor Ave > Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 > (I only accept Polk stamps) > -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |Judybats|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 12:03:22 +0000 Subject: Ever notice how hard it is to think up subject lines when you're Hidey-ho, everyone. First of all, Nicole would like to point out that her list of "favorite" TMBG-list threads was a JOKE. All of the ones she listed are old, dead ones that everybody has heard discussed a lot and nobody wants to bring up again. (Except maybe Nicole. Moira forever!) For example, she personally has heard the "Where does Ana Ng live?" thread pop up three different times, and she's only been on for a year and a half. Nicole's pitiful attempt at humor evidently got taken seriously. (Nicole really should take Humor 101 when she gets to college...) Nicole will therefore refrain from posting her Top Six Ways To Tell If Your TMBG Fandom Has Verged Into Fanaticism, for fear that someone will think she's serious and call the men in white coats to come and take her for a ride. Thanks to all those who responded to Nicole's question about the Spiralling Shape solo. Jonathan Chaffer (your friend, Nicole's friend, everybody's friend) says that it is either a vibraphone or a synth imitating a vibraphone. Nicole buys this explanation, seeing as how she's never heard an actual live vibraphone. (sucks, I know. The San Jose Symphony just doesn't play much vibraphone music.) > > Subject: List Volume and advice > Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 13:39:31 +1000 (EST) > From: Jezza > >Also I'm thinking of getting one > more but can't choose between the Barenaked Ladies or the Dave Matthews > band, both of which I've heard so much about on this list but have heard > none of their actual music. So give us a hand, will's ya? I'll offer my humble opinion, and hope I won't get flamed. I am extremely unfond of the Dave Matthews band, and heartily recommend that you get BNL instead. I go into convulsions of pain every time I hear that godawful "Could I Have Been" song. One person's opinion! No flamage please! I love you all! > Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 23:48:08 -0500 (CDT) > From: Erik Swedberg > Subject: Re: AAAAAAAAAh. I want something new to discuss. I am out of ideas. > > > If They Might Be Giants boarded Mrs. Train in Cowtown and headed east at > > 70 mph, while at the same time, on the same track, the conductor with the > > paper-white mask of evil turned his train around west, at 32 mph, from > > the hall of heads, when would they collide? > > COPPEROPOLIS!!!!!!! ??? What/where is Copperopolis? Anywhere near Nicole's humble web site, Nicolopolis? (http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole, for those of you who didn't know) >Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 18:46:51 -0500 (CDT) >From: "John E. Neely" >Subject: Darkness, Fav Bands, Etc. > > Has anyone else but me noticed what a profoundly dark album John > > Henry is? I just kind of came to that realization a few days > > ago... >I think TMBG has always been kinda dark. I mean, when They picked >Their name didn't They say They wanted something "outward-looking and >paranoind"? I really love it, because Their music always seems to be >very angst-filled, frustrated, paranoid, freaky lyrics sung to happy, >cheerful melodies with bouncy, poppy background music. It's such a >refreshing contrast....maybe that's why TMBG is the only happy, poppy >band (exept the Beatles and maybe XTC) I really love: a somewhat >pessimistic person just can't take happy music AND lyrics. Hmm. This is one of my favorite things about TMBG-- I love the juxtaposition of happy music and depressing lyrics. A couple of Simon and Garfunkel songs have the same dichotomy, most notably (in my mind, anyway) "Cecilia" and "Keep The Customer Satisfied". It keeps things fresh and interesting, and it encourages you to listen carefully to the lyrics and the music, and re-evaluate the way you think they should fit together. I'm a little surprised by your statement that XTC is a "happy poppy" band. I'll admit that I haven't heard much of them, but what I've heard has been a far cry from that. ok i love you buh-bye ana.ng@tmbg.org, who will be around until early July, at which point she will take her leave from the list until September, when she will rejoin y'all from University of California at Davis, as a Computer Science/Engineering major! UCD, for anyone who cares, is located right next to Vacaville, CA. And "Vacaville" translates to "Cowtown". Sooooo..... "I'm going down to Cowtown, cow's a friend to me!" Plus, I hear that KDVS plays TMBG. YAY. ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@hooked.net nnicole@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 23:41:09 -0400 From: John Murray Organization: Virginia Tech Subject: Re: Superfueled & Chords (plus a NEW thread!) resident wrote: > > Oh, and for all of you going to the Fairfax show, look out for me. I'll > be wearing a "Hello my name is Jack" name tag sticker, and weather > permitting, I'll be wearing it on my boo-tiful Hawaiin shirt. I look > forward to meeting many-a-lister down there. Hey that's a sorta cool idea about every lister wear one of these "Hello my Name is" stickers? If you all think it is a cool idea I'll even buy a pack and send them to a lister FREE. I think it would be cool if we had way to identify other listers, espically since the shirt may not be done by then. Well what do you think? -- Person Man aka John Murray -={+}=- The Unoffical Pritchard Web Site Admin (New URL!!!) Check it out @ http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~murray/pritchard/ Powered By FreeBSD http://www.freebsd.org "I don't know whether I'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar" -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 00:14:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: LTJ concert in Portland, OR Wow, this is weird. Two ska posts in one day! This may be the wrong place for it, but for anyone who cares: Watch for the Toasters and Spring Heeled Jack on a national tour. Also, Saturday the 18th at the Tune Inn (for anyone in/around CT who doesn't have a problem with Fernando) Skavoovie and the Epitones, the Slackers, the Agitators, and Too Hectic. If I'm not mistaken, Too Hectic have just released an album which I will certainly pick up. I would have to say that, although I like John and John, I've enjoyed even mediocre ska shows more than I have the best TMBG shows. I think it has something to do with the crowd, and skanking doesn't hurt either. I can't say that Less Than Jake are among my favorite bands, though... And, to tie this to TMBG, well, I guess I can't. Sorry. -Slacker Ng. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 23:14:50 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: radio > Thanks to everyone who informed me about the content of the Zima > soundtrack. I have gotten the Brain Candy soundtrack since giving up on > Zima and I really like "Spiralling Shape." Hey, if anyone DOES have the zima cd, I will buy it from you...see, i'm one of those funny guys that's got to have EVERYTING from THEM. And, if you have one of the purple toupee 8tracks...big bucks for you... > *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: xtc Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 00:27:55 -0400 (EDT) If I may suggest an XTC (the best one) it would be Science Friction! It is sorta a mix between punk and ska, or that is howmy friend put it. It is incredible and better than more than a few TMBG songs I must say! Off of the same album, _White Music_, that brought you Joe Jackson's redition of the Statue of Liberty from the XTC Tribute album. Good stuff. As far as their stuff being not happy poppy, well they do have some, Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen, and some otehrs I can't think of (oh yeah the History of Rock 'N Rock is wacky) but Dear God is definitely not happy poppy. Check em out, sorta like TMBG, have some cool poppy songs but some deeper darker meanings in some of em. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |Judybats|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: I pal I Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 01:07:03 -0400 (EDT) I have never been able to figure this out. In I Palindrome I are there any actual palindromes (maybe some long ones I just can't pick up on?) I have the lyrics in front of me but I can't seem to see any. I figured with all of those bizare, strange lyrics there would most likely be on in there. Thanks, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |Judybats|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC "I'm not the only dust my mother raised." "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 00:17:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: I'm Back! On Sun, 12 May 1996, Bert Jantsch wrote: > Hello again. > I'm back. > Just thought I'd let you know. > > JaN+sChMAn > > Visit my World! http://www.netcom.com/~jantsch/world.htm > Ummm... what? love, john ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 00:19:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: once again... BFF On Sun, 12 May 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > since there obviously been some interest in Ben Folds Five here... their new > video 'Uncle Walter' will be debuting in the first half of 120 minutes on MTV > tonight... > my apologies to people who get this tomorrow (monday) > > a spooky man named me > About all this BF5 stuff... very good. Keep it coming. It isnt TMBG related at all, but everyone here should really check them out. john ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com Subject: Cinci or Clevelan? Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 23:21:16 -0600 {WARNING: Do not read this if you get sensitive about PIRACY issues, or if you think people should only enjoy album music...I personally think that music is music, and even if I have the concerts or dubs of the album, I will still buy the Records, on my honor.} I was wondering if anyone who is going to the next two shows is planning on taping the sets...If you are, I'd like to set up a trade for your tape. I have good stuff, though I lost my best recordings due to theft an fire (Don't ask) I still have a bunch of good BNL Stuff (as that has been posessed by mon Fratres for the last year(Finally got it back! Yaha!) so BNL fans, I will trade for that too! I'm a good, reliable, friendly trader, and I want to hear some of the new concerts... Hate to post this to the list for all the sensitive types, but share and share alike... -Rabidus Childen (Lesse, got some Live in NYC, TMBDwarves, the _other _ DAS tape, lots o' good BNL, others...mebbe even E-town soon...) ** * * * * * * * * * * * Send vibes to: Rabid_Child@tmbg.org * No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! * Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ** ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 01:21:51 -0400 Subject: TMBG ON MTV I just finished watching TMBG on 120 Minutes. I don't get to watch the show very often, so do they play TMBG a lot?? Anyway, what an awesome video. That is one of my favorite...... Sorry! I didn't tell you guys the song taht was played---it was "Ana Ng". I am so excited for Saturday now (not like I wasn't before). tucker ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: I pal I Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 01:33:18 -0400 (EDT) > > "Son I am able she said. "Though you scare me." "Watch" said I, "Beloved," I > said, "Watch me scare you though," said she, "Able am I , son." > > That's a palindrome. Read the sentence forwards and backwards. Ahh so yo invert each word, not each letter. I thought it had to be read backwards by letter. Hehe I guess that would be a bit hard ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-134 ******************************