Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-135 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 135 Tuesday, 14 May 1996 Today's Topics: wowee! Re: Newport and Bogart's [Directions?????] Re: List Volume this summer :( Re: water Directions to Bogarts (Cinti) Remove Messages Ben or Been Tries to Help YOU to the Columbus Show Frank Black Re: LTJ concert in Portland, OR The Spiralling Shape.. Re: radio Re: radio Re: "spy" live and "i pal i" Re: LTJ concert in Portland, OR Madam, I'm Adam...re: I pal I Re: water Re: Madam, I'm Adam...re: I pal I Re: radio Re: radio directions for bogarts tmbg Re: Spy and palindromes Administrivia Re: Spy and palindromes (none) Re: radio Re: Spy and palindromes Re: Spy and palindromes Re: List Volume and Advice Ana Ng-less I pal I Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 04:45:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: wowee! Ana Ng was the cult classic on 120 Minutes tonight!!!!! I was just sitting on the floor in my room around 1:30, and all the sudden I hear the Johns coming out of my tv set! I got all riled up and couldn't get to sleep afterwards, I was so shocked to see something good for a change. Now I still haven't gone to sleep and I have to go to school in two hours. Oh well, it was worth it. :) Amanda, who will be nodding off in Spanish class today p.s. water doesn't spiral at all in my sink. It just goes glug,glug,glug and gets sucked down the pipe. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 07:16:49 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: Newport and Bogart's [Directions?????] Matthew Coon wrote: > > Can somebody on the list who is familiar with Ohio give me addresses and > directions to the two Ohio shows? I'll be coming in to the cities east > from Indiana on the interstate(s). I'd hate to get lost driving around... > > Thanks, > > m@t i can tell you how to get to both of them...but i can tell you bogart's better. coming from indiana: come down I-74 till it dead ends into I-75 in Cincinnati... go south of 75 for like 1 exit or so... exit 3 Hopple Street (take this exit)... at the end of the ramp go left... stay in middle lane... the first light you come to you can turn left or right or go kinda crooked straight up the hill (you'll see what i mean) GO UP THE HILL!... keep going about 4-6 lights until you come to M.L. King st, rd or ave... turn right on M.L. King... at first light turn left... at first street (Vine St.) turn right... Bogart's is on right tada! i'll let someone else tell you better directions to the Newport the only ways i know consist of driving thru downtown first... ask ben or been there he lives there!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 07:20:04 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: List Volume this summer :( > On Sat, 11 May 1996, The Big Blue Dog wrote: > > > Hey, how many are actually going away? It could get pretty dull around here > > if everyone leaves. > > > > BlueDawg, who will stick around. Hey, i'll be here too! swimming around in the mire we call home! waiting for a t-shirt with the list on it! not just another john! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 07:54:52 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: water Sam Pearson wrote: > > John Lambert wrote > >> 6) Does water really spiral the wrong way out the sink?yes i believe > >>that below the equator it does... > > Sorry to say this, but you are mistaken. > Water below the equator spirals the right way out the sink, it spirals the > wrong way in the NORTHERN hemisphere. :) > This is proved in the song which goes something like: > "My apartment looks upside down to her, water spirals the wrong way out > the sink...etc". > "My apartment", I think, is a reference to one of the John's apartments, > which are in the Nouthern Hem. If it's not a John's, it's still talking > about a apartment it the Nth Hem, thus if the water spirals THE WRONG WAY > up there, it spirals THE RIGHT WAY down here. > He he he. > Sam. i guess that it' time for a PUBLIC FLOGGING! "i have SINNED against you..." -Jimmy Swaggert the point is taken... that'll teach me to answer a ? on the fly!!!! i'm shamed! shave my head & put me in an ashpit! i'd like to take this time to beg for forgiveness!!!!! thanks for changing my evil ways... p.s. for all of you who might flame me and tell me that i need to get a sense of humor and not get offended by his post...you needn't do so. i'm NOT taking offense to what he said...he wasn't mean about it and i'm not being mean back. i'm joking!! i swear. p.s.s. thanks again to down under ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Directions to Bogarts (Cinti) Date: Mon, 13 May 96 8:51:49 EDT Here are directions to Bogart's in Cincinnati since a few people asked: Off of I-75 in Cincinnati take the Hopple Street exit. Go east on Hopple (back over I-75) where it will intersect w/ Central Parkway. Proceed up the hill on Martin Luther King, Jr Drive (will be at 10 or 11 o'clock from Hopple, if you know what I mean.) Continue on M.L.King past University of Cincinnati and turn right on Jefferson Avenue. Proceed one block on Jefferson and turn left on University. Proceed one block on University and turn right on Vine. Bogart's is located at 2621 Vine Street (right hand side of road from here). Do NOT park in Kroger lot at the end of the street, they WILL tow. (I speak from experience.) -- john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ From: asturm@par.com Date: Mon, 13 May 96 08:11:50 PDT Subject: Remove Messages Please take my name off your message list *------------------------------------- Name: Albert J Sturm E-mail: asturm@par.com Date: 02/03/95 Time: 17:06:04 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 10:03:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben or Been Tries to Help YOU to the Columbus Show Ben or Been here. I have Been to the Newport in Columbus twice, and on both occasions I did not pay attention to where it was with respect to the world. However, I do have the phone number and address of the Newport in Columbus: 1722 N. High St. (near Ohio State Uni) (614) 228-3582 Call 'em for info on how to get there. Someone's taking me, so that's why I still don't know how to get there. As for Bogart's, I haven't the foggiest. I may be able to get the phone number and/or address of it, but I'm not sure if I can, so don't rely on me. If I do, I'll post it. The show is sold through TicketMaster, so you may want to call them or stop by your local outlet to maybe get the phone number from there--I'm pretty sure they could help you out there. :-) Maybe they even give directions??? I don't know, though, because I've never dealt with them. Hope this is of service, and if I get the Bogart's number, I'll post it, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 13:10:59 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: Frank Black > Also: I discovered that John Linnel and Kurt Hoffman played on Frank > Black's debut!!!!! Cool, yet another link between two cool artists! What is the name of that album? Or does he only have one? Mark Melville ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 12:21:18 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: LTJ concert in Portland, OR I'm a Portlander... When it rains, it snows Liam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 13:28:06 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: The Spiralling Shape.. Since my purchase of Brain Candy last week, which, by the way, has some pretty good songs after TMBG, I've been listening to Spiralling Shape non-stop. I'm not sure on some of the lyrics, though, so if anyone that is familiar with the song sees any differences in my interp, let me know: Down, down, down you go. No way to stop. As you fall, hear me call, "No, no, no." Listen to this warning and Consider these Simple words of advice. Stop, stop, stop. Fogging the view, cupping face to the window, In darkness you make out a Spiralling Shape. Putting all reason aside, you exchange what you've got For a thing that's hypnotic and strange The Spriralling Shape will make you go insane, (Everyone wants to see that groovy thing.) But everyone wants to see that groovy thing. (Everyone wnats to do that thing.) And nobody knows what it's really like, But everyone says it's great, And they heard it from the spiral in their eyes. This could lead to excellence Or serious injury Only one way to know. Go, go, go. Go ahead, wreck you life. That might be good. Who can say what's wrong or right? Nobody can. Put out your hands and you fall through the window And clawing at nothing you drop through the void. Your terrified screams are inaudible, Drowned in the spiral ahead, and consumed in the shape. And now that you've tried it, You're back to report That the spiralling shape wasn't fallen or fake. You didn't enjoy it, you never believed it. There won't be a refund, you'll never go back. The Spriralling Shape will make you go insane, but everyone wants to do that groovy thing. And nobody knows what it's really like, But everyone says it's great, And they heard it from the spiral in their eyes. .... Don't spend the rest of your life wandering.(this could be wondering) Don't spend the rest of your life wandering. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 15:46:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: radio On Sun, 12 May 1996, Chris Kopenec wrote: > > Thanks to everyone who informed me about the content of the Zima > > soundtrack. I have gotten the Brain Candy soundtrack since giving up on > > Zima and I really like "Spiralling Shape." > > Hey, if anyone DOES have the zima cd, I will buy it from you...see, i'm > one of those funny guys that's got to have EVERYTING from THEM. And, if > you have one of the purple toupee 8tracks...big bucks for you... > > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, > over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a > check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission > over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- > -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- > > Purple toupee 8track?!?! You're kidding! I have an 8track both in my car and on my regular stereo..I WANT IT!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 14:55:42 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: radio On Mon, 13 May 1996, Death Incarnate wrote: > Purple toupee 8track?!?! You're kidding! I have an 8track both in my car > and on my regular stereo..I WANT IT!! From what I've heard, it was a marketing ploy...they took some old purple 8track cases and put in purple toupee...relabeled them and stuff..not very many out there... > > *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 15:03:40 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: "spy" live and "i pal i" >Ok, for all of you who have seen Them perform live, a question: > >How come when They perform Spy live, They don't include the audience >anymore? It was so much cooler back when They did that. Linnell would >point at the audience, and everyone would yell "SPY!" during the improv >section at the end. I have been to about 4 or 5 TMBG shows total, and I remember one time in particular when they involved the audience in Spy. Except Linnell didn't actually tell us to yell "SPY!" You know, he was pointing to all of the various band members, sometimes once, sometimes 7 times in a row, etc, and then he just whirled around and pointed at us. I'm pretty sure we all just screamed, although it _might_ have come out "spy!" That must've been 4 years ago, and it was in the gym at Eastern Illinois U. I can't remember them doing it in any other shows I've seen, but most of the rest have been out-of-doors festival shows. Hope that was helpful to someone somewhere! >------------------------------ >> "Son I am able she said. "Though you scare me." "Watch" said I, "Beloved," I >> said, "Watch me scare you though," said she, "Able am I , son." >> >> That's a palindrome. Read the sentence forwards and backwards. > Ahh so yo invert each word, not each letter. I thought it had to be >read backwards by letter. Hehe I guess that would be a bit hard ;) >Matt On top of those, there are others. Another "word" palindrome (reading the WORDS backwards), would be "I Palindrome I," which is the blatant one which never actually occurred to me until today. Also, there are two (conventional) letter palindromes, both in the background vocals. The first is "Man o' Nam," and the 2nd is "Egad a base tone denotes a bad age." Andy Puckett puck@apci.net "25 O'Clock, that's when you're going to be mine." ------------------------------ Subject: Re: LTJ concert in Portland, OR Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 15:05:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Liam Singer: >I'm a Portlander... This has Monty Python Sketch written all over it... -CB (yes, I'm around in summer. My condolences to the victims of my posts.) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 11:29:18 -0500 (EST) From: "Absolutley Ben's Mood" Subject: Madam, I'm Adam...re: I pal I There are no palindromes in I pal I but there is a long sentence that can be repeated backwards and forwards...it goes: "Son I am able" she said, "though you scare me" "Watch" said I, "beloved," I said "watch me scare you though" said she, "able am I son." I heard the Johns talk about it on the old (possibly still on though I've been at college and my station has changed formats) Idiot's Delight with the devine Vin Scelsa and it is most definitely in the song with purpose. Ben *------------------------------------------------------------ "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told you can only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like, be like yourself." -- They Might Be Giants "Where do correct ideas come from? Do they drop from the sky? Are they inate in the mind? They come from social practice and from it alone." -- The Scene Is Now Ben Houck--Houckbe@math.earlham.edu--Hangs in the air the way most bricks don't. ___________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 16:19:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: water >> "My apartment", I think, is a reference to one of the John's apartments, >> which are in the Nouthern Hem. If it's not a John's, it's still talking >> about a apartment it the Nth Hem, thus if the water spirals THE WRONG WAY >> up there, it spirals THE RIGHT WAY down here. > right...this sort of fits in with their whole paranoia thing. Nuh-uhh. Your assumption is based on false lyrics. What John actually sings is that "My apartment looks upside-down *from* *there*, water spirals the wrong way out the sink..." Therefore, the bit about the water is referring to _there_. Us North-Hemispherians can rest assured that our water flows the right way now. :) ///////////////////////////////Joshua Hall-Bachner////////////////////////////// / particle@servtech.com / / "I spend too much time raiding windmills, We go side by side, laugh until / / it's right. There's something that you won't show, waiting where the light / / goes. And maybe anywhere the wind blows, it's all worth waiting for." / //////////////////////////////////-- Toad The Wet Sprocket,"Windmills"////////// ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 16:23:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: Madam, I'm Adam...re: I pal I there is too a palindrome in I Palindrome I. "egad, a base tone denotes a bad age." listen to what he's saying in the background of the third verse. (and yes, i realize that most of you know this already) *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 16:39:15 -0400 Subject: Re: radio In a message dated 96-05-13 15:50:40 EDT, sstolon@IntNet.net writes: > >Purple toupee 8track?!?! You're kidding! I have an 8track both in my car >and on my regular stereo..I WANT IT!! > > there was never an actual 8 track, it was just the shell of an 8 track with a Purple Toupee label... promotional gimmick.... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 17:07:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Death Incarnate Subject: Re: radio On Mon, 13 May 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 96-05-13 15:50:40 EDT, sstolon@IntNet.net writes: > > > > >Purple toupee 8track?!?! You're kidding! I have an 8track both in my car > >and on my regular stereo..I WANT IT!! > > > > > > there was never an actual 8 track, it was just the shell of an 8 track with a > Purple Toupee label... promotional gimmick.... > > a spooky man named me > I still want it :).. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 18:40:18 -0400 (EDT) From: MATTHEW D BURKART Subject: directions for bogarts Hi, Directions have been requested for the concert on Friday and I am going but it is just across the street for me. So if you know where my dorm room is just go one block east then its down the block on the right side. Otherwise here are directions from Bogart's web page (http://www.bogarts.com) BOGART'S is located at 2621 Vine Street in the University Village, Cincinnati, OH...easy to get to off of either I-75 or I-71. Via 'I-75': take the Hopple Street exit. Turn left at the light and continue on Martin Luther King Blvd through seven treffic lights. Approximately twenty yards after the seventh light, turn right on Vine Street. Continue on Vine through one traffic light and two Stop signs. You can't miss our marquee. Via 'I-71': take the Taft Road exit. Continue straight through the light and through three more traffic lights. Before the next light, turn right on Vine at the University Plaza Shopping Center. Take the 1st right at Corry and then left at the Stop sign (Corry and Vine). You can't miss our marquee. Hope to see you there, Matt Burkart ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 16:09 -0700 (PDT) From: Stephen Haske Subject: tmbg Please withdraw me from your list. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 19:19:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Spy and palindromes Ok, here is a complete listing of all the palindromes in I Palindrome I (some are incredible easy): I A O Dad Mom Dad palindrome Dad I palindrome I Man O Nam Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age "Son, I am able," she said... (etc) These last few have a bit to do with imagery and interpretation. I have just come up with an interp of the song as well (or, I think it's new, as I haven't seen any others). The snakehead eating the head on the opposite side. (Tail, head, other tail). Why they say snakehead instead of snake, I don't know. Either it's significant, they needed it to make the line fit, or they just enjoy saying things like that. (Skullhead). Now, my interp. We have here a song which deals with things starting, going to some middle (or other) point, and returning to the start (or, if you want them to, they can continue on forever). First, we have the mother calling her son a 'son of a bitch.' Starting point (image one), mother. Middle point (image two), son. Ending point (image one again), mother. Next, we have a part I'll interp. See the bulletproof dress? See the medical chart with the random zig-zag (indicating patient getting better then worse then better, and the zig-zag and symptoms are themselves a palindrome)? We want mom (who's sick in the hospital) to die so we can get the money. How do we do it? We make the chart "decide." (muahahaha). This is probably where the bulletproof dress would come in (useful for disguise and protection if the cops give chase.. or maybe we're having war flashbacks cause we're men o nam...). Of course there is the snake head. We then get mom saying that she is able (ie not sick, able bodied), and is scared of her son (well, he's probably wearing a dress and ready to kill her). He says beloved, watch (watch.. watch him kill her?) but she returns that she is able and that he should watch her (watch... watch her make an attempt to save herself?) Then, we have the spring of the grandfather clock. I didn't think grandfather clocks had springs, because they are weight driven and not spring driven, but I don't know. However, here's what I have. The spring starts from a point, goes, and is rewound (returns to its original position). So do the hands. Start, middle, return, circle. I'm not exactly sure. See the hands of my offspring making windmills (that might be giants). Now, what do we have here? Windmills, that might be giants, singing about their offspring, who are making windmills, that might be giants, etc. Also, the hands on a windmill always return to their original point, like those of a clock (whether they were making literal windmills or just 'windmilling' their hands, they still return to their original position in circles). All of this causes me to utter "Egad! A base tone denotes a bad age!" Or, a son killing his mother for the money shows that there is a lack of morals in this age. Base and tone each have a few meanings. Base can mean low, as in low note (yes, it is also spelled base, look it up in a good dictionary). It can also mean worthless, debased (uh-oh), vile, mean, or morally low (as it is base to betray a friend). Alternatively, it can mean a starting point (!). Tone can mean any number of things as well. It can mean pitch, as in music. It can mean intonation or pitch indicating the mood or meaning of the speaker, or word choice indicating the attitude of the speaker. It can mean the prevailing character, spirit, or state of morals of a particular period or place (!). I think all of these meanings could be packed into the phrase. So, one phrase would contain base tone denotes (also notice that note is an anagram of tone, and is contained in the word denotes, kind of making it a pun), in a musical sense, ie low or dark music or speech indicates that the age is bad because it's depressed or upset with itself (or, again, maybe it means that when you are at a young age, you make music with lots of bass in it... it kind of seems true today, listening to the radio). The other would mean that a vile or dispicable lack of morals marks a bad age also because the age created people with such bad morals. So, there you go. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? All are appreciated. It's amazing. Before today, I had no thoughts on this song. In just 25 minutes, I came up with all of that. Oh, and also, did anyone notice that I could have said (note that note is an anagram...), the first part of which would have been a palindrome? Also, when I looked up anagram in the dictionary (to see if it had any link to palindrome), I found it came from ana (a palindrome meaning back), and gramma, meaning to write. So, we have 'to write back,' which almost fits the theme of starting, going to a middle point, and returning. Oh yeah, and the example in the dictionary was 'now - won'... which is... well, you know. RS (thanks for reading this, if you did!) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 19:34:45 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Administrivia I'm sending this early, as we seem to be getting a flood of unsubscription attempts posted. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** To be posted twice a month on tmbg-list and tmbg-digest. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 3) The websites Leo and I maintain the Unofficial TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.org/ It contains lyrics, chords, song interpretations, the FAQ, the discography, links, and info on this mailing list. Try it out. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ Right now it's got tour dates. More to come. As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 20:21:27 -0400 From: julinka@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Spy and palindromes > >The snakehead eating the head on the opposite side. (Tail, head, other >tail). Why they say snakehead instead of snake, I don't know. Either it's >significant, they needed it to make the line fit, or they just enjoy >saying things like that. (Skullhead). Have you ever seen a snake shedding its skin? This is what I always think of when I hear this line. The skin comes off of the head first, then slowly turns itself inside out and continues to turn the entire length of the body. It looks as though the snake's head is eating itself. It's kind of freaky. love, Julia, who watched WAY too many nature shows as a child. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 19:19:37 -0500 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) ................................................................................ I had a funny dream last night. In my dream, I was really wanting my new selections from the HELLO CD OF THE MONTH CLUB to arrive. Somehow, in my dream, HELLO was run by some folks here in Austin, Texas. Anyway, I snuck into the house of the guy who ran the whole CD thing. Inside, I found a stack of the new HELLO CDs. I quickly looked through them, searching for the John Linnell and the Mono Puff selections. I wanted the CD with John Flansburgh's autograph on it. I found the cd's in the pile, but they were not yet signed. The CDs were not circular. They were shaped like amoebas! I wanted to take my CDs and go, but I was too interested in having the autographed ones, so I didn't take them. Both Johns showed up at the house, but I couldn't make myself talk to them. I was too scared. Strange dream, eh? Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 20:28:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: radio about the purple toupee 8track. they just took abunch of old purple 8 tracks, pasted TMBG on them, never changed the actual recording. so somebody out there might have ELO or somebody on theirs. they are pretty rare. only a few hundred, if that many. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 20:28:42 -0400 Subject: Re: Spy and palindromes In a message dated 96-05-13 19:24:24 EDT, 97starya@james.hawken.edu (Ryan Staib) writes: >We then get mom saying that she is able (ie not >sick, able bodied), and is scared of her son (well, he's probably wearing >a dress and ready to kill her). "I'm getting better!" "No you're not, You'll be stone dead in a minute!" a spooky man named me (who often gives into his urges) (I can't believe I read the whole post!) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 20:38:08 -0400 (EDT) From: chess piece face Subject: Re: Spy and palindromes >The snakehead eating the head on the opposite side. (Tail, head, other >tail). Why they say snakehead instead of snake, I don't know. Either it's >significant, they needed it to make the line fit, or they just enjoy >saying things like that. (Skullhead). Maybe I am not sure what you mean, but I don't think that there would not be "tail, head, other head" because it seems that it is not 2 tails on two different snakes, but rather 2 heads on the same snake (one where the tail should be.). so that it looks like this: <8===========================8> except some how the thing is curved so that one of the heads ( <8 ) is eating the other one. Just by looking at this "palindrome snake" it is clear that there is a visual palindrome. Hence "snakehead" rather than "snake". Also, I wanted to point out that the bullet proof dress could be a visual palindrome in the way that the bullet bounces back to where it came from. dave Dave Hendrix Georgia Institute of Technology gt8614a@prism.gatech.edu (404)206-1805 "Should you worry when the skull head is in front of you or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 19:21:44 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Re: List Volume and Advice If you want to download music samples of any of the band you guys are talking about, a great place to find them is at World Wide Music on the internet who's address is http://www.worldwidemusic.com. They are currently having some kind of a problem so they are delaying orders. If you are going to order from them be sure to send them an e-mail first, I did and got this in reply: "Ordering has been again pushed back to May 15th pending financial hardship resolution. Thanks for your interest. webmaster@intouchgroup.com" Even if they don't have orders ready, it's still a great place to d/l music clips. They have a huge selection. Have a Nice Day, Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net rclark@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 19:35:04 -0500 (CDT) From: Lyndon J Larson Subject: Ana Ng-less Doh! I could just shoot myself (perpendicular of course) for turning off 120 minutes after the Verve Pipe (who I wanted to see as I am moving to michigan next month) and missing Ana Ng. Also I heard TMBG sat night over the sound system at TGIFridays in Fargo ND no less-so that was cool. Lastly does anyone know whatever happened to the Kate and Kari Show from chicago. That was my favorite part of the list. I think one of them (Kate or Kari) was from my hometown but I am not sure. Just curious. Lyndon ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 13:28:25 +0000 Subject: I pal I Yo There are a couple of regular letter palindromes in there, too. "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" is sung in the third verse (in counterpoint to the words), and "man o nam" also pops up. Isn't this covered in the FAQ? I don't know; I haven't read it in a while. love, ana.ng@tmbg.org ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@hooked.net nnicole@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-135 ******************************