Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-136 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 136 Wednesday, 15 May 1996 Today's Topics: Rhythm Section Want Ad Nostradamus remomve message (none) Re: Purple Toupee 8-Track PENCIL RAIN Re: Spy and palindromes Re: Nostradamus Re: Nostradamus Re: Spy and palindromes moo. summer, snakeheads, tmbg and easy readin' Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-135 Re: water and Ana Ng The horror Re: water and Ana Ng XTC vs. Adam Ant unsubscribing Re: XTC vs. Adam Ant I stick around the water thing song lyrics I Quit I am... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:28:59 +1200 From: blue.canary@tmbg.org (Sam Pearson) Subject: Rhythm Section Want Ad Has anyone else noticed just how often the words in this song float through your head? I was at a *crowded* CD release party the other day and people were always walking by me, pushing past etc (I swear some people were just walking up and down the length of the bar the whole night). Suddenly, for no apparent reason (I didn't smell or anything, honest) the space around me was clear and I could move. Then these immortal words of John passed through my head: "In the world we call our home there's lots of room to roam..." It just seemed to fit perfectly. Oh well, doesn't matter, I guess it was just one of those location things. See ya, Sam, who isn't going away for summer break as it is winter. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sam in New Zealand - where water spirals down the sink sjp6@tmbg.org blue.canary@tmbg.org sjp6@waikato.ac.nz ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Nostradamus Date: Tue, 14 May 96 8:07:55 EDT A while ago we had a thread going regarding Nostradamus, the clairvoyant mentioned in 'My Evil Twin' on A18. Saturday afternoon I had the opportunity to see a "documentary" about Nostradamus entitled 'The Man who Saw Tomorrow'. Below is a sort of review/synopsis of this movie for those who are interested. (I'll try not to make it too long.) "The Man who Saw Tomorrow" is a low-budget documentary concerning the writings of Michel de Nostradamus, a psychic who lived in the Provence region of France in the late 1500s. The film was made in the early 1980s and was narrated by Orson Welles. Nostradamus wrote his visions in ten books of 100 quatrains, mostly in French but littered with Latin and even anagrams, apparently to remain obtuse and avoid heresy charges. He supposedly has a fifty per cent accuracy rate with his predictions. Some notable claims he is said to have made: Duke of Windsor abdicating his throne to marry American divorcee Wallace Warfield Simpson (sp?); assassinations of both Lincoln and Kennedy; nuclear weaponry and submarine warfare. Perhaps the most interesting predictions he made were that three "Anti- Christs" would appear before armageddon. The first was believed to be Napolean, about whom he was amazingly accurate in his predictions. The second was Adolph Hitler, who he nearly 400 years earlier even guessed would be a man named "Hister". It is interesting to know that the Nazis relished the fact that they were conquering regions that Notradamus said would be conquered. Also, American newsreels spread hope by saying that Nostradamus foresaw that freedom would win out eventually. The third Anti-Christ would be a ruler from the Middle East who would bargain with the Russians for nuclear capability and launch an attack on New York City in July of 1999. This prediction can cause some foreboding thoughts because we certainly have enemies in the Arab world and the breakup of the Soviet Union has spawned concern about the security of some nuclear ordnance. Unfortunately, they recount some predictions of calamities that were supposed to have happened in the mid 80s that didn't take place, to the best of my knowledge. So some of the thunder is stolen from his final vision. The film has generally pretty cheesy production values and Orson Welles is dressed fairly odd. (How did he ever fit through doorways? Man, he's big!) But there is some real-life footage and I did learn a few historical facts that I probably should have in high school, so the event wasn't a total loss. Review: Don't go out of your way to rent "The Man who Saw Tomorrow", but if it's on HBO and you have an hour and a half to waste like I did, you might like to check it out. PS. Coincidentally, HBO also ran a movie entitled "Nostradamus" in the wee hours of Monday morning, but I didn't catch that one. -- John J. Pletikapich john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ From: asturm@par.com Date: Tue, 14 May 96 08:16:45 PDT Subject: remomve message Please remove my name from your list. *------------------------------------- Name: Albert J Sturm E-mail: asturm@par.com Date: 02/03/95 Time: 17:06:04 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 10:45:22 -0500 (CDT) From: Joseph Puscas Well I'm out of here Sory if I offended anyone but maybe you needed to be offended, anyhoo until newxt semester have a nice summer. Joe *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Universal misery and suffering abounds, L. Ron Hubard is Gone Steve - Slacker *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 09:12:36 -0700 Subject: Re: Purple Toupee 8-Track Death Incarnate writes: > >On Sun, 12 May 1996, Chris Kopenec wrote: >> >> Hey, if anyone DOES have the zima cd, I will buy it from you...see, i'm >> one of those funny guys that's got to have EVERYTING from THEM. And, if >> you have one of the purple toupee 8tracks...big bucks for you... > >Purple toupee 8track?!?! You're kidding! I have an 8track both in my car >and on my regular stereo..I WANT IT!! Unfortunately the _Purple Toupee_ promotional 8-track tape does not have TMBG music on it. Elektra just stuck new TMBG labels on pre- recorded 8-track tapes with other music on it (presumably from Elektra artists). So even if you had the Purple Toupee 8-track you wouldn't be able to listen to Purple Toupee in your 8-track. -- John -- I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time -- like tears in rain. Time to die. -- Roy Batty ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 12:14:34 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: PENCIL RAIN WOO-HOO!!!! NPR (National Public Radio) just played the intro to Pencil Rain to introduce a story!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool....... drg ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Spy and palindromes Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 11:23:27 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Ryan Staib: >themselves a palindrome)? We want mom (who's sick in the hospital) >to die so we can get the money. How do we do it? We make the chart >"decide." (muahahaha). This is probably where the bulletproof dress would >come in (useful for disguise and protection if the cops give chase.. or >maybe we're having war flashbacks cause we're men o nam...). Of course The "conventional wisdom" suggests that when Mom's Bulletproof Dress is on the clothesline and not on her, it is not protecting her and thus she is most vulnerable to "line decisions" at that time. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 14:13:47 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Re: Nostradamus My friend Mike was watching that movie, too. He was telling me all about it yesterday. You know, one of the reasons that so many of Nosy's predictions have come true is because people like to reinterpret them after the fact. If I made some vague prediction about August 5, and you all took a look at it again on August 6, you'd be amazed by how much of my prediction came true. Nostradamus's prediction for 1999: "A hot wind will blow on the new city at 40 degrees." Everyone takes this as meaning a nuclear attack on New York. I see it differently. I don't think he meant 40 degrees latitude, I think he meant 40 degrees celsius, which would indeed make it a HOT wind. There is a place called New City in NY state. I think he's predicting a heat wave for New City, NY. It makes sense. The Greenhouse Effect. Global Warming. He saw it. The man's a genius. We can all be Nostradamus, if we learn to be properly vague. It's not all that difficult. --Jack, who should wipe the floor with all your punk-asses. http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 11:58:12 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: Nostradamus I always felt that Pat Buchannan was the third anti-christ, but, well, that's just me ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Tue, 14 May 96 09:07:27 MDT Subject: Re: Spy and palindromes ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: text X-Sun-Data-Description: text X-Sun-Data-Name: text X-Sun-Content-Lines: 13 Nice interp, let me offer my $0.02. I think that the bulletproof dress belongs to Mother. She has known for some time that her evil child wants to do away with her to get the money. The significance of it being on the clothesline is that she is now vulnerable because she is not wearing it! The medical chart gives still more evidence of her vulnerablility--in fact she may be recovering from a previous attempt at matricide. ---------- X-Sun-Data-Type: default-app X-Sun-Data-Description: default X-Sun-Data-Name: russ X-Sun-Content-Lines: 7 ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "Man is that he might have joy" -- The Book Of Mormon ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 16:09:03 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: moo. i've only seen the SPY audience participation thing 2-3 times. (i was at the Wolf Trap show, which happened to be my first time Sat Jun 18 1994 8pm) now that i've been reminded about it, HEY!!! i miss that. i also miss the horns. i thought it added a nice touch. and the whole conglomerate NOKMP with the Conga line with a wicked cool lead into The Guitar. i'll stop complaining now. i'll be here throughout the summer. Surpisingly enough, U of Chicago doesn't open up for Freshmen until September 18th!!!!! and we talked about the Allegory of the people in the cave by the greek guy, in one of my classes last week. and i impressed another person today with my large collection of TMBG t-shirts (6 and growing) but i'm kinda upset. in my school a TMBG freak just changed. his favorite is no longer the glorious TMBG, but Tori Amos. i have nothing against Tori. in fact, i love her and want to marry her, but he said that the show that he went to of hers was better than the illustrious George Washington University show that rocked my universe and is still doing so to this day (if anyone who hasn't heard this story want details, just ask). i almost feel like i'm not doing my part to enlighten the world to TMBG. maybe if i find some new people and turn them into converts, i'll feel better. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 15:26:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: summer, snakeheads, tmbg and easy readin' Hey there: Here I am, done with exams, done with school till September... now I can listen to They Might Be Giants 24 hours a day!! (Um, well, not if I want to actually be able to pay rent though.) Hey, wouldn't that be cool? Be employed to listen to them 24 hours a day? I don't know who in their right mind would pay you to do that, though.... Um, as for the discussion about I Palindrome I.... I think Dave (Chess piece face) was right about the two-headed snake... I think They might be referring to a mythical beast known as the ouroboros, but I can't be sure. I think the ouroboros might be two snakes, each with its tail in the mouth of the other snake. Any Classics majors out there care to elaborate? Actually, maybe I'm just remembering something out of Piers Anthony in a warped way... it wasn't in the unabridged dictionary. Forget I mentioned it... Anyway, it's sort of a palindrome itself... either way you "read" the two-headed snake, it's the same. A bit of a stretch, but I think that's what they were thinking. Hey, and I'll be here over the summer... No art projects, papers or exams left to keep me away from adding my 2 cents to the conversation.. the really long extended conversation that gets dropped into my mailbox once a day. Hey, I've got an idea for a new thread... don't know if it's been done before... What was everyone's first TMBG listening experience? More later.... Jason "He wants a shoehorn -- the kind / J a s o n L. G o h l k e with teeth -- because he knows / jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu there's no such thing." -TMBG / bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu ------------------------------ Date: 14 May 1996 22:22:00 +0200 From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-135 Organization: "not that I know of" International Amanda Gayle Douberly wrote: > p.s. water doesn't spiral at all in my sink. It just goes glug,glug,glug and > gets sucked down the pipe. It would go faster if it had a spiralling shape. :) Anyway, the phenomenon does exist. It's called the Coriolis(sp?) effect, but this is so very small other factors, like tiny bumps in your sink, make it a random proces. _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 16:17:35 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: water and Ana Ng Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >>> "My apartment", I think, is a reference to one of the John's apartments, >>> which are in the Nouthern Hem. If it's not a John's, it's still talking >>> about a apartment it the Nth Hem, thus if the water spirals THE WRONG WAY >>> up there, it spirals THE RIGHT WAY down here. > >> right...this sort of fits in with their whole paranoia thing. > >Nuh-uhh. Your assumption is based on false lyrics. What John actually sings >is that "My apartment looks upside-down *from* *there*, water spirals the >wrong way out the sink..." Therefore, the bit about the water is referring >to _there_. Us North-Hemispherians can rest assured that our water flows the >right way now. :) Admittedly, this is a bit confusing. Here are the lyrics in question: Make a hole with a gun perpendicular to the name of this town in a desk-top globe/ Exit wound in a foreign nation showing the home of the one this was written for/ My apartment looks upside down from there/ Water spirals the wrong way out the sink/ And her voice is a backwards record/ It's like a whirlpool, and it never ends/ Now, in talking about his apartment, he speaks of its appearance from "there". Now, picture you are sitting "there" (southern hemisphere). The sentence, "My apartment looks upside down from there, water spirals the wrong way down the sink, and her voice is a backwards record -- it's like a whirlpool and it never ends," is all from a southern-hemisphere-perspective, although it is admittedly written with an American's understanding of Asian language. John is looking through Ana's eyes. He looks at his own apartment, which is upside down, and the water is spiralling the wrong way (opposite to what he is seeing in the sink before him, in the southern hemisphere---okay, so Ana's in the bathroom now. Whatever). Finally, as he experiences the world around him through Ana's senses, he can't understand what she is saying...it sounds to him like a backwards record. So, up here in the northern hemisphere, the water is definitely spiralling the "wrong" way. Why is the northern hemisphere assured that water flows the right way for them, anyway? That's pretty presumptuous. Sounds a bit Euro-centric, if you ask me. Besides, in the spatial dimensions beyond the three that we can see (i.e., what God can perceive but we can't), perhaps the water is spiralling in other directions besides clockwise and counterclockwise. Pretty presumptuous of you to assume that God blessed you with the "right" spiral. I bet s/he keeps that to himself. (Also, for anyone who found my use of the word "God" offensive, insert "supreme being" or the name of your favorite deity here. If you still have a problem, go smeg off.) Giantly yours, Andy Puckett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 17:42:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Mike Rose Subject: The horror Well, in a few minutes I am going off to night one of Ryerson's 4th year Picture Start film festival. My movie Flying Tin is showing tonight and since three people were involved in the complicated process of sound editing amd mixing, I have no idea if my movie will have sound, or if so, what it will sound like, or if it will be in sync, or anything at all like that. Oh well. In a few hours I'll know. Wish me luck. Bye. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 18:12:46 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Re: water and Ana Ng Ok. Water spirals the wrong way out the sink in BOTH the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern. If someone from the N.H. was in the S.H., the water looks wrong to them, and if someone from the S.H. was in the N.H., the water would look wrong to them. So it's completely a perspective thing. Neither one is wrong though, because if the water spiraled out the other way in either hemisphere, it would be breaking the laws of physics which is bad, unless you happen to be a bumblebee. Then it's a good thing, for you. But, that too is a perspective thing. Hope this does some good. --Jack, whose " " key is broken, so that he can't type " ebra", or " oo", or " enith", or "TMNT 2: The Secret Of The Oo e" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 18:20:31 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: XTC vs. Adam Ant Sorry about the two posts, but I just thought of this. Who would win in this fight, XTC or Adam Ant? And would it be all of XTC vs. just Adam Ant, or would it be a one at a time thing? Or would Adam have his old back-up band, the Ants AKA Bow-Wow-Wow (who are also mentioned in the song) to help even the odds? There are an infinite amount of possibilities. But who would win? Ok, I've got another one, too. Who would win in this fight: John vs. John I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say John. What do you think? ------------------------------ From: LtAldus@aol.com Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:43:40 -0400 Subject: unsubscribing Who do I send the unsuscribe to again? I'm sorry, but my aol mailbox is FULL and right now I can't recieve any other mail so I need to stop the mailing list for a bit. PLEASE tell me how! The sooner the better... -Young Hickory Napoleon ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:47:24 -0400 Subject: Re: XTC vs. Adam Ant In a message dated 96-05-14 18:22:33 EDT, jcurley writes: > >Sorry about the two posts, but I just thought of this. Who would win in >this fight, XTC or Adam Ant? And would it be all of XTC vs. just Adam >Ant, or would it be a one at a time thing? Or would Adam have his old >back-up band, the Ants AKA Bow-Wow-Wow (who are also mentioned in the >song) to help even the odds? There are an infinite amount of >possibilities. But who would win? > An admitted participant in the Particle Man fight thread I think I shall have a go at this one... having never heard the song or seen the words I think that XTC seem like the kind of tricky b*stards that would sneak up from behind Adam and jump him... The real question is which drummer would XTC bring with them (or would they bring the whole army of them?) > >Ok, I've got another one, too. > >Who would win in this fight: > >John vs. John > We've been down that road before... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:52:09 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: I stick around I'll be stayin' on the good ol' list this summer. Where did everyone get their Brain Candy soundtracks? I've checked several record stores. Also who was the one on a mission to get everyone to watch The Usual Suspects? Latro, Brother JohnBejezus #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%# " ...or we're gonna know who ta kill. We got you in this movie for one reason, to exterminate all the lunatics all at once. We're the filtering system of God. We're the psycho-semantic police, you can't even see us. We're pure intelligence, you're not. You're biological product of a cosmological universe. You're molecular matter. I constructed you. I made you up you didn't make me up, you got it backwards"- -Raleigh Theodore Sakers ($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)( $)($)($) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 08:14:25 +0700 From: blue.canary@tmbg.org (Sam Pearson) Subject: the water thing On Mon, 13 May, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >Nuh-uhh. Your assumption is based on false lyrics. What John actually sings >is that "My apartment looks upside-down *from* *there*, water spirals the >wrong way out the sink..." Therefore, the bit about the water is referring >to _there_. Us North-Hemispherians can rest assured that our water flows the >right way now. :) Yeah I know the lyrics I quoted were wrong, but that was my best guess as to what they were without having the lyric sheet handy. I was wondering if anyone would notice! :) However I think when John keeps singing after *there*, the assumption is that the water spirals the wrong way down the sink (in John's flat) RELATIVE to Ana Ng in the South Hem. ie, the flat looks upside down from there, the water LOOKS like its going the wrong way from THERE, even though to John its going the right way. So whether its right or wrong is relative to your position. See ya later, Sam. *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -Einstein. sjp6@tmbg.org blue.canary@tmbg.org sjp6@waikato.ac.nz ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 12:49:38 +0000 Subject: song lyrics Quoth WorldWide Skull : > Since my purchase of Brain Candy last week, which, by the way, > has some pretty good songs after TMBG, I've been listening to Spiralling > Shape non-stop. I'm not sure on some of the lyrics, though, so if anyone > that is familiar with the song sees any differences in my interp, let me > know: > And now that you've tried it, > You're back to report > That the spiralling shape wasn't fallen or fake. I think this is acutally "was a fraud and a fake." At least, that's what the tmbg.org lyrics archive have, and to be honest, I think it makes more sense. > Don't spend the rest of your life wandering.(this could be wondering) I think it is "wondering." Also on a lyric-related topic: On _Maine_, does anyone else think that the lyric archive is a bit off? I really do NOT hear "And leave my family out of this." I hear "And leave me to my thoughtless state" or something like that. Anyone else agree? ok i love you buh-bye ana.ng@tmbg.org, who is envious because a friend of hers just got a 12" promotional copy of _Twisting_. Northern CA tmbg fans unite! How many of us are there? ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@hooked.net nnicole@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 00:11:42 -0500 From: jenna@onramp.net (Jenna Davis) Subject: I Quit Lately, my time to read the list messages has been limited, so I've just been sticking them in a mailbox entitled "Read Later." I just looked in that mailbox, and discovered that since March 19, I have accumulated 1,550 messages from this list that I have not read, and most likely never will. Therefore, I'm quitting the list. Not like you all heard much from me, but just in case someone was wondering, now you know... ________________ Jenna Davis jenna@onramp.net hoteldetective@tmbg.org new .sig forthcoming... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 02:35:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy Scarecrow Subject: I am... If no one else has selected this handle I will be Filthy Scarecrow from now on. Thank you. Mike, um, I mean, Filthy Scarecrow...er, yes, that's it ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-136 ******************************