Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-137 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 137 Thursday, 16 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: the water thing My 5 minutes on the soap box Re: XTC vs. Adam Ant Tour dates Re: Tour dates Re: Tour dates Re: song lyrics Re: Tour dates johanna staral!!! TMBG Video Bootleg KITH Soundtrack Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-136 Re: t-shirt mayhem T-shirts & what to do. First TMBG listening experience... Radio Re: song lyrics re: 1st TMBG experience? *sniff* 1st TMBG exp./Disappearing Flood White Sport Coat/Meat Puppets/Backwater Looking for Ben or Been at the Newport??? Several subjects Longevity Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 08:27:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: the water thing It was funny the first time we had this thread, and funny looking at it on the FAQ, but this time, it just sucks. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 08:59:55 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: My 5 minutes on the soap box here's my $0.02 for the day: i've always found tmbg fans to be some of the coolest people on the planet, but lately my opinion is changing. a healthy percentage of the people who post here do nothing but insult people's choice of threads. some of us weren't here for the old threads and the _ever mentioned_ FAQ sheet doesn't tell you "everything you need to know about being cool enough to be somebody on the list". i know a few of you and you people aren't the problem... it's the "been there, done that" people... if you've already discussed a thread before DON'T READ THE POSTS ABOUT IT!!!!!! simple as that...leave us alone and quit being so uncool! the whole point of this list is to talk about THEM and tmbg related subjects (by the way, i wasn't interested in the whole Nostradomus thread but AT LEAST IT WAS RELATED TO TMBG and that was really cool). xtc=not related to tmbg college life=not related to tmbg if something is tmbg related so be it!!! i think it's really cool to tell us more about yourself, but attach it to a tmbg related topic... these posts that talk of nothing but xtc or class or your new car or whatever should be sent personally, not to the rest of us on the list! i know that i'm guilty of some of these things, but i won't do it again! if anyone thinks i'm a jerk or wants to flame me for this go ahead...i welcome it. JUST SEND IT TO ME PERSONALLY! mailto:jkl@roughbros.com ok i'm done thanks for your time. not just another john ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Re: XTC vs. Adam Ant Date: Wed, 15 May 96 08:39:00 P >Who would win in this fight: > >John vs. John Whoa, I had a dream about that. I was up mnt. Biking, and I came flying around this corner to see John and John, (including their entire band, (maimone, doherty), with instruments and all), any ways, Linnell, was bashing Flans over the head with his accordion, and flans was smacking linnell with his guitar. They were yelling and screaming, and then they stopped and walked away. Later in the dream, I found out that they had broke up, and would never be playing together again!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! It was one of the worst dreams I have ever had. But here's the cool part. I rigged up this big thing, and tricked John and John into meating each other. They then realized how much they missed each other, and decided to get back together. They even wrote a few songs about me, and me getting them to get abck together. They played the songs too, (in my dream), and they were groovy songs!!! Ones that I had never heard before, but I can't remember them. Too bad!!! The only thing I remember is me getting to play a bassoon solo in the middle. Oh well. The dream turned out good in the end, but it was really scary for a while there!!! Chow for Now! Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 08:29:47 -0700 From: pchuss@mtest.teradyne.com (William Pat Chuss) Subject: Tour dates Could someone please mail me any information regarding upcoming TMBG tourdates? Smokin' Bo's web page (www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg/index.html) seems to have gone away, which is where I usually got that info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Willie Pat Chuss %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Megatest Div. of Teradyne VOX: (408)441-3161 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% FAX: (408)451-3201 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Lad looks at other gals. Gal thinks Jim Beam is handsomer than lad - he isn't bad." -- They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Tour dates Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 11:07:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of William Pat Chuss: >Could someone please mail me any information regarding upcoming >TMBG tourdates? Smokin' Bo's web page (www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg/index.html) >seems to have gone away, which is where I usually got that info. You can find them now on www.tmbg.com. >"Lad looks at other gals. Gal thinks Jim Beam is handsomer than >lad - he isn't bad." -- They Might Be Giants I used to get burned on this one too before I realised that it was "...than Lad, WHO isn't bad." Shifts the meaning ever so slightly. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ From: pchuss@mtest.teradyne.com (William Pat Chuss) Subject: Re: Tour dates Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 09:54:15 -0700 (PDT) > > In the immortal words of William Pat Chuss: > > >Could someone please mail me any information regarding upcoming > >TMBG tourdates? Smokin' Bo's web page (www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg/index.html) > >seems to have gone away, which is where I usually got that info. > > You can find them now on www.tmbg.com. > > >"Lad looks at other gals. Gal thinks Jim Beam is handsomer than > >lad - he isn't bad." -- They Might Be Giants > > I used to get burned on this one too before I realised that it was > "...than Lad, WHO isn't bad." Shifts the meaning ever so slightly. > > ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu > Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab > Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) > GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V > PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] > Hmmm, my lyrics sheet (which I happen to have right at my desk) shows it as "... than Lad, HE isn't bad." Of course you never can trust those lyrics sheets now can you? I sort of like "who isn't bad" myself, but listening to the CD, it still sounds like "HE". Oh well. Pat -- %%%%%%%%%%%%% William Patrick Chuss VOX: (408)441-3161 %%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%% Megatest Corporation FAX: (408)451-3201 %%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%% 880 Fox Lane %%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%% San Jose, CA 95131 pchuss@mtest.teradyne.com %%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Subject: Re: song lyrics Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 12:09:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Nicole Carlson: >On _Maine_, does anyone else think that the lyric archive is a bit >off? I really do NOT hear "And leave my family out of this." I hear >"And leave me to my thoughtless state" or something like that. The lyrics on www.tmbg.org reflect the song as performed on the Power of Dial-a-Song recording, not the Official Hello-released State Songs version. On the former, it is indeed "leave my family out of this". On the latter, it is something else (what you said sounds close). ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s+:+ a22 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N+ o+ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.12] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 13:57:09 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: Re: Tour dates > > >"Lad looks at other gals. Gal thinks Jim Beam is handsomer than > > >lad - he isn't bad." -- They Might Be Giants > > > > I used to get burned on this one too before I realised that it was > > "...than Lad, WHO isn't bad." Shifts the meaning ever so slightly. > > Hmmm, my lyrics sheet (which I happen to have right at my desk) shows > it as "... than Lad, HE isn't bad." Of course you never can trust those > lyrics sheets now can you? I sort of like "who isn't bad" myself, but > listening to the CD, it still sounds like "HE". Oh well. I think that the lyrics ARE "He isn't bad," because it's refering to Jim Beam, and not Lad. I love that part of the song. The lyrics are so cool. They have a knack for making very cynical love songs, don't They? I love how the trauma of the relationship between Lad and Gal causes Gal to start drinking heavily. I've had relationships like that. I just wish that I could write cool songs about them like They do. --Jack, but not Daniels ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 15:16:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Joseph P Kenney Subject: johanna staral!!! i know this isn't a lost and found bboard, but if anyone knows where and how i can get in touch with johanna staral (who used to occassionaly post to the tmbg digest) let me know. thanks joe- ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Wed, 15 May 96 13:16:19 MDT Subject: TMBG Video Bootleg Subject: They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg--Status Report I feel that I now have enough material to make a master tape. Once that is done, I will start accepting orders and making copies. I expect that the cost will be about $6.50 for the US/Canada, and an extra dollar for postage to other places, unless you make other arrangements with me. Attached is the list of material that I have so far. If you have more stuff, or know of other appearances that I don't have on the list, let me know. Russ Josephson The following is a list that I have been making of various TV apperances by the pop duo They Might Be Giants. I have started collecting these performances and interviews with the intent of compiling them into a "TMBG Video Bootleg" recording, which would then be distributed to the contributors and to other fans of They Might Be Giants. I have two VHS-HQ Hi-Fi-stereo machines, and one VHS-linear-stereo with dolby machine, and one VHS-C camcorder. I plan to use one of the HI-FI machines for the master tape, and the other to make the distribution copies. I also plan to buy one of those dubbing signal enhancer boxes to minimize the loss of picture quality while making the copies. If you would like to participate, please let me know, and tell me what kind of tape you can send me, specifying the following options: Date: Show: Songs: Speed: SP LP SLP Sound: Hi-Fi-stereo linear-stereo mono Video: fancy HQ ordinary Generation: 1st (original) 2nd (copy) 3rd (copy of copy) Grade: Excellent Good Poor If you can, also send other information, such as how long the performance is, and if part of it is cut off, etc. =============================================================================== TMBG TV Appearances--Master List Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com 1217 N Aspen Dr 04/30/96 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 =============================================================================== [*]--Indicates shows that I currently have obtained copies of. Date * Time Show Songs Source -------- ----- ------------- ---------------------------- ----------- ??/??/88 Arsino Hall They'll Need A Crane [live] 07/??/89 Post Purple Toupee [video] Modern Whistling in the Dark [live] MTV Maybe I Know [live] / Letterbox [live] / Lucky Ball and Chain [live] 05/12/90 * 04:08 Letterman Your Racist Friend [live] Mike Rose 05/??/90 * 02:25 Muchmusic Interview segments Mike Rose 03/??/90 * 02:15 120 Minutes Interview Matthew Coon * 02:00 Where Your Eyes Don't Go [live] * 02:20 Puppet Head (video) * 02:00 Particle Man [live] * 02:00 Interview * 03:15 Birdhouse IYS (video) Lincoln Nick Rocks 02/01/91 * 02:36 Tiny Toons #51 Istanbul [animated] Bryan White * 02:15 TT Music TV Particle Man [animated] Flood Tonight Istanbul ?Matthew Coon 04/13/92 * 00:25 Muchmusic Introduction Mike Rose 01:50 She's Actual Size [live] 03:40 Interview (RPM appearance 4/14) 02:15 Mammal [live] 03:32 The Statue GMH (video) 04/??/92 120 Minutes The Statue GMH[video] Erik Swedberg Mammal [live over the credits] ??/??/92 120 Minutes She's Actual Size [live] cwilson@hiwaay.net 05/19/92 * 01:00 Letterman Intro: Apollo 18 new album Mike Rose * 02:45 I Palindrome I [live] 07/05/92 * 00:30 Tonight Intro: Apollo 18 new album Mike Rose * 04:20 The Guitar [live w/Cyd Shaw, Branford Marcellus] * 02:45 Interview: pass the dude * 03:35 The Statue GMH [live] ??/??/?? Letterman The Statue GMH jenns@mail.voicenet.com 03/??/93 * 01:30 120 Minutes J&J host "New Wave Marathon" Matt Coon 00:30 Puppethead (clip) 00:30 Don't Let's Start (clip) 04:10 The Guitar (video) 00:30 Hotel Detective (clip) 00:30 Ana Ng (clip) 00:30 They'll Need A Crane (clip) 00:20 Birdhouse IYS (clip) 00:30 The Statue GMH (clip) 00:20 "Then We Die" [song] 01:00 Dial-a-song plug 06/??/93 120 Minutes Particle Man Matthew Coon Where Your Eyes DG 09/05/93 120 Minutes Why Does the SS [live] Erik Swedberg/DAVID A. MEYERSON 10/26/93 * 03:45 Conan O'Brien Why Does the SS [live] Mike Rose * 05:15 Interview: Shatner's mug Mike Rose * 01:30 show closing/thank you Matt Coon 10/??/94 120 Minutes WDTSS Erik Swedberg ??/??/?? John Stewart WDTSS jenns@mail.voicenet.com 10/??/94 * 01:04 120 Minutes John & John guest hosts Bryan White * 00:30 Introducing the band * 03:25 Snail Shell [video] * 00:45 The Cramps video intro * 00:30 "Reverend Horton Heat" song * 03:25 AKA Driver [live] * 00:30 words after Lucious Jackson video * 00:35 Frente video intro * 01:00 "59 Minutes Left To Go" song * 00:30 MC900' Jesus intro * 00:30 video intro * 00:38 video intro * 00:25 Cranberries video intro * 00:41 video intro * 02:30 The End OT Tour [live over credits] 10/31/94 * 03:30 Conan O'Brien Nyquil Driver [live] Matt Coon ??/??/94 * 04:45 Good Morning Dirt Bike [live] Russ Josephson * 00:15 Dirt Bike [live over credits] Matt Coon Summer95 Celebrate Brooklyn Festival 01/??/95 * 02:10 House of Blues Istanbul [live] Ryan Staib * 00:28 Interviews Ryan Staib * 02:07 No One Knows My Plan [live] Ryan Staib * 04:38 The Guitar [live] Ryan Staib ??/??/?? MTV ?? Snail Shell [live] ??/??/?? Cartoon Planet No One KMP [on intro] The End Of TT [on credits] ============================================================================= Regular Videos: ============================================================================= TMBG Video Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head Compilation Don't Let's Start Hotel Detective Ana Ng They'll Need a Crane Purple Toupee 03/??/90 * 03:10 Birdhouse IYS [video] Mike Rose 05/??/90 * 02:30 Istanbul [video] Mike Rose 04/??/92 * 03:45 The Guitar [video] Mike Rose ??/??/?? * 03:06 The Statue GMH [video] Bryan White ??/??/?? * 03:18 Snail Shell [video] Bryan White ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 16:14:35 -0500 (EST) From: "Absolutley Ben's Mood" Subject: KITH Soundtrack Be warned: I found the Brain Candy soundtrack under "K" for Kids In The Hall at the local mall-crap Sam Goody/Musicland outlet... Ben *------------------------------------------------------------ "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told you can only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like, be like yourself." -- They Might Be Giants "Where do correct ideas come from? Do they drop from the sky? Are they inate in the mind? They come from social practice and from it alone." -- The Scene Is Now Ben Houck--Houckbe@math.earlham.edu--Hangs in the air the way most bricks don't. ___________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: 15 May 1996 20:31:00 +0200 From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-136 Organization: "not that I know of" International relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) wrote: > Unfortunately the _Purple Toupee_ promotional 8-track tape does not > have TMBG music on it. Elektra just stuck new TMBG labels on pre- > recorded 8-track tapes with other music on it (presumably from Elektra > artists). So even if you had the Purple Toupee 8-track you wouldn't > be able to listen to Purple Toupee in your 8-track. Wouldn't that be BAR/NONE? _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 17:12:29 +0000 From: "nuits de r=?iso-8859-1?Q?=EAve ?=ve" Organization: Dick's Automotive Subject: Re: t-shirt mayhem Anne E. Heidemann wrote: > > i have missed the last week's worth of messages because i went out > of town, so this may be an uttlerly clueless question (if it is, just > tell me nicely, please :D ), but i was wondering if the whole t-shirt > thing got forgotten because of summer, or if it was still on? > thanks in advance. I'll still get the shirts made up if we finalize a design. -- ---Very Long .sig....but it has relevant T-Shirt info--- Mike Schaefer "The Man With the T-Shirt Plan" University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 337-1923 (Free when you call from work) http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef Home of the Hello Recording Club. "The best trick the devil ever played was convincing the world that he didn't exist." Verbal Kint ---SEE-----------------------ALSO--- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: mailto:smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting FTP: ftp://freenet2.scri.fsu.edu login: smeaj pw: pithon9 dir: /tshirt/ For graphic design submissions to be posted here: \/ WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 17:15:44 -0500 (CDT) From: "Rick C. Petty" Subject: T-shirts & what to do. On Wed, 15 May 1996, nuits de r=?iso-8859-1?Q?=EAve ?=ve wrote: > I'll still get the shirts made up if we finalize a design. Could somebody please gather some of our ideas & make them available (via web) so we can vote on the final design before the shirts are made...? --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! _______________________________________________________________________ SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 18:57:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: First TMBG listening experience... Somebody asked about what everyone's first TMBG listening experience was--sorry, I can't remember who (ack, being on the digest sucks, but I don't have the time during the summer to read the amount of mail the list generates). Anyway...let's see. OK, it was 1991, I was a sophomore in high school, and one day I heard some of my friends singing a strange little song that went somethin' like this: "There's only one thing that I know how to do well, and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you..."etc. etc., you all know the rest. It sounded wacky, and I was intrigued. So I asked about it, and they told me it was a song by some band called They Might Be Giants. So I went out and I bought Flood. I was likin' it. Then A18 came out, and I was likin' it even more. And you can probably guess the rest from there. Now I am the freak I am today. :) I'm gonna go make some awesome chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies now. Anybody want some? :) --Tara (hey, is my evil-twin Tara still out there for the summer?) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 19:45:50 -0400 (EDT) From: MATTHEW D BURKART Subject: Radio Hi, I got this e-mail from the radio station 97.7 out of Oxford, Ohio. "i have some good news for you. TMBG will be coming by the station before their gig at bogart's on friday. they'll be here around 3. they are a fairly punctual pair--unlike many--so they should be here when they say. although, band management is not as good at on-time for radio stations. anyway, around 3/3:30 on friday. okay? hope you can tune us in or at least get a tape of it." I just thought people heade down here might want to try to tune in. Matt ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 20:16:18 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: song lyrics >The lyrics on www.tmbg.org reflect the song as performed on the Power >of Dial-a-Song recording, not the Official Hello-released State Songs >version. On the former, it is indeed "leave my family out of this". On >the latter, it is something else (what you said sounds close). This is true. However, on that web page, *keep reading*! For many songs in the archive, multiple versions of lyrics are given. For the one in question, the State Songs version is given immediately following the DAS version. Check it out. -- http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp://ftp.dragonfire.net/users/jchaffer/ "The spiralling shape will make you go insane But everyone wants to see that groovy thing." -TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 21:15:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: re: 1st TMBG experience? I think my first TMBG experience would have to be when I was around ten and I was riding somewhere with my sister and her friends in her car. We were listening to this mixtape that someone made that had "Don't Let's Start" and "Ana Ng" on it. I thought it was cool. That's about it. :) Amanda (who is noticing a great deal less list-traffic...this is sad) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 23:33:36 -0400 (EDT) From: resident Subject: *sniff* This is my last post! I'm going now! I'll rejoin as soon as possible, so that I can catch up with all of you. I'm gonna miss you guys! --Jack Curley 7-18 Manor Ave Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 (201) 794-0235 ryanflynn@ysp.com http://www.ysp.com/ysprecords/ryanflynn ------------------------------ Subject: 1st TMBG exp./Disappearing Flood Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 13:36:40 +1000 (EST) From: Jeremy Leung Hey everybody, I first heard TMBG when my friend played me some of their songs from Flood. Because he'd already gotten tired of listening to it, I asked him if I could borrow it. He said it was OK and as my interest grew in this fabulous group the borrowing period became greater and greater. Soon I had realised I borrowed it for over 5 years. One day, my friend, by form of blackmail told me return it to him. He had my two new new copies of the self-titled and A18 in his hand. I had no choice but to return it to him.... So that's my story. I guess you could link it to the old thread "Flood, the disappearing album." Ohwell, bye for now. Jeremy. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 23:50:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: White Sport Coat/Meat Puppets/Backwater Ben or Been here... I heard that TMBG or some part of the band sings on a Meat Puppets song that appears on the CD single for "Backwater." I can't remember exactly, but I think the song is "White Sport Coat." In the background vocals, it sounds at least like Flanny's interjections. I got the CD yesterday. Nice single--sounds good. I love "Backwater," and now I have a better appreciation for "Open Wide," which originally appears on the Meat Puppets album with the original "Whirlpool." Interesting how this all ties in!!! Bye bye, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 23:54:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Looking for Ben or Been at the Newport??? Ben or Been here... I will be at the Newport concert Thursday. If anyone on the Digest is attending and wants to meet me, I welcome them to me! I'll be with a girl with red hair (probably short hair)--maybe six feet tall. She's a friend I've not seen since October, so look for a-friend-I've-not-seen-since-October behavior. I'm six foot, about 175 lbs, I like long naked walks on the beach, candlelight dinners, etc., just kidding. I have brown hair--freshly cut, newly tapered--and I look a little like Hugh Grant. I'm a theater major, so look for theater major stereotypes. I will probably dress in jeans--I have a clean-cut look--like an All-American heterosexual boy. I'm 20. I'm considering using tape to make the letters "BEEN" on my shirt for easy identification. I hope to stay on the raised wings of the lower house, close to the stage the whole time. I may have earplugs in my ears. I may also before the show look back to the audience and "stroke my figure like a sexy woman" to try to drag attention to myself. I wonder what the pre-show party involves. Is there an opening act??? Bye there, Ben or Been Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE now featuring until probably Friday sometime the demo version of Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend," called "Good Friend" (I had to very slightly alter it to fit it to my dial-a-song) It's really quite different! No references to a "girlfriend." Additional music sounds. Demo quality! Adieu. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 23:18:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Several subjects First, I have a t-shirt design and I sent it to Tom Hare..(?)... Next, I got the video, "They Might Be Giants." Not the compilation..but the movie...it's pretty nifty...I got it from Suncoast and it took about 2 and a half months and cost 14 bucks or so...I reccomend it, even if you just rent it and watch...you'll notice some things that pop up that you can relate to THEIR songs... Finally, off the TMBG topic....In Fort Worth tonight (yes, I'm a lonely texas fan) Dishwalla and Tears for Fears played a free concert for the local alternative station...The lead singer from Dishwalla crowd surfed over me!!!!! And they played "Tainted Love"....it was pretty cool and Tears for Fears came for an encore...All I gotta say is awesome...even for a non-they concert... Laterz ya'll... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Subject: Longevity Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:35:49 +1000 (EST) From: Jeremy Leung Hey guys, Whilst in a contemplative mood yesterday, I was just thinking how much joy The Johns have given us for so little reward. They've been playing for , what, 10+ years? and haven't really gotten the recognition they deserve. Does anybody know of any awards or anything that they've received? Maybe we could all vote them in for a lifetime achievement one for a public poll award thing or something.... Also, all last month I've been listening to The End of the Tour on my walkman which, until now, I thought was playing the song at the right speed. That's why the song sounded do slow! The other day listening to it at home on CD I finally realised how kind of upbeat-ish it is. Silly me. Finally , Mike Rose, I'm ready and waiting (to talk) . Just mail a day and a time of your convenience. Jeremy ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-137 ******************************