Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-138 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 138 Friday, 17 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Radio Oops sorry excuse for a record store Re: T-shirts & what to do. The Phone Number for Bogart's, FYI Dreams about TMBG, first TMBG experience My dream Re: LTJ concert in Portland, OR Re: xtc the band Re: Nostradamus and XTC Vs. Adam Ant Re: xtc Re[2]: Nostradamus and XTC Vs. Adam Ant Re: Nostradamus and XTC Vs. Adam Ant Re: xtc Re: XTC Vs. Adam Ant First They Experience Voting 1st TMBG experience New album Re: TMBG Video Bootleg Alindromes & Panagrams Re: Alindromes & Panagrams It has spread! Re: Nostradamus Re: Alindromes & Panagrams Re: Alindromes & Panagrams Spoonerism! spoonerisms The Coriolis Effect Brain Candy, plus freak-dom? Coriolis Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 03:40:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy Scarecrow Subject: Re: Radio On Wed, 15 May 1996, MATTHEW D BURKART wrote: > Hi, > I got this e-mail from the radio station 97.7 out of Oxford, > Ohio. > "i have some good news for you. TMBG will be coming by the station > before their gig at bogart's on friday. they'll be here around 3. > they are a fairly punctual pair--unlike many--so they should be here > when they say. although, band management is not as good at on-time for > radio stations. anyway, around 3/3:30 on friday. okay? hope you can > tune us in or at least get a tape of it." > > I just thought people heade down here might want to try to tune in. > > Matt > Hey there, Are you going to tape it? If so maybe I can get a copy of it off you? I know, weird request, but oh well. I'm always happy to trade. I've got a list I can send you of stuff to trade. If you're interested let me know. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 03:55:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy Scarecrow Subject: Oops Damn that fucking Cc thing, means I sent a message to the list meant only for a particular person. But yes, I admit it, I want that radio appearance. So, goddamit, leave me alone, the lot of you. Mike :-) not mad, embarrassed ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 96 08:20:45 EDT From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: sorry excuse for a record store hello all. well, yesterday i decided to go to the local wherehouse records to see if anything cool was in, and i found that there was a big sale going on, with tons of tapes for 4.99 and CDs for 7.99. i looked through, hoping to find something rare, or a TMBG single i don't have. but, i found instead a copy of A18 for 4.99! :( what's the deal with that? the store still carries lincoln and flood (etc) for 9.99 in the tape section, so what's up with A18? i thought it was really sad that it was in there with all the old dream theatre and uriah heeps that no one wanted. what a sad day. :( peace, anne, who still knows that They are cooler than that ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** http://www.cmich.edu/~343sxvt *** *** *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: T-shirts & what to do. Date: Thu, 16 May 96 8:34:32 18000 > > On Wed, 15 May 1996, nuits de r=?iso-8859-1?Q?=EAve ?=ve wrote: > > > I'll still get the shirts made up if we finalize a design. > > Could somebody please gather some of our ideas & make them available (via > web) so we can vote on the final design before the shirts are made...? > Umm.... hello, sure thing. As my sig says, and as I have posted a few times at the least, my voting page is up, and I will put up the designs, if someone will actually MAKE one for me to POST. I only got two other designs other than the one I created. I eliminated one of them because it was very similar to my own design, and another one because it wasn't complete.... THIS GOES TO EVERYONE: IF YOU WANT A DESIGN TO POST ON THE VOTING PAGE FOR THE SHIRT, I NEED TO GET IT AND IT NEEDS TO BE AN ACTUAL DESIGN (No "Insert kewl image here" designs) Sorry, but I don't have time to design everything myself! > --Rick C. Petty, aka Snoopy

I hate Netscape! > _______________________________________________________________________ > SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/ > pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com > > -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 12:28:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The Phone Number for Bogart's, FYI Ben or Been here. If you need the phone number for Bogart's in Cincinnati, here it is: (513) 281-8400 Remember, 2621 Vine St. in the University Village Bye for now, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 13:47:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Dreams about TMBG, first TMBG experience Well, since Brenden got started talking about dreams about TMBG, I'll add mine. I told this to Tara (which Evil Twin, you're probably wondering, huH? The one from NE =) ). Anyway, two or three nights ago, I dreamt that someone I knew in high school named Cindi and I were going to Walmart, because They were playing there. When we got to the store, there were the Johns, getting ready to sing back by the Nintendo games and rifles. (and this is the normal part of the dream...) They said they only had time to do two songs, and Cindi said, "Play 'Henry VIII"; that's my favorite song you do." I was horrified. I said, "Cindi, that's not their song!" (Which is kind of funny, cause a couple years ago we saw Herman's Hermits do that song at a free concert here in town!!) Flans asked me what I wanted to hear, and I said WDTSS. Then it skipped to a part of the dream where I was at my bf's house, and Flans came in and said something about how one of my friend's cats had had a heart attack and was in the hospital. Flans left, and I was sitting at the kitchen table w/ Linnell, and he started telling me about how he was in love with Flans, which really surprised me. To make a ong story shorter, he then started talking about his gf, who he thought was me, and then Al from Quantum Leap showed up and leapt the sorority girl back in who was supposed to be Linnell's gf. Linnell got up to get his jacket, went into my bf's room, and came out my bf. A group of us went the a mall, where everyone started getting possessed by evil spirits, and I was thinking, "It's BOB!" (From Twin Peaks, my other obsessioin...) At the end of the dream, my bf was standing at the entrance to the mall, playing Linnell's accordian and singing "Under the Sycamore Trees' from Twin Peaks. Well, onto a less psychotic subject, my first TMBG experience was my first year of college, when Tara came down to my room to play a Wally Pleasant tape for me. I was dubbing "Bad Haircut" and also some of the Millions stuff from her, and then she brought A18 down, and she had me listen to Fingertips... Which I immediately dubbed a copy of. She also had me listen to The Guitar that day, and gradually, I kept listening to more and more of the stuff until I was hooked. (I am also probably one of the few people who heard A18 and the pink TMBG album _before_ ever hearing anything off of Flood!) Now I'm not only hooked, I'm obsessed! (Look what you did to me, tara!! ;) ) =) Kylee * The thoughts and Unrelated Things herein are not mine; they belong to My Evil Twin. Complaints should be directed to the Hall of Heads. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ) ( \ ) | Kylee Dickey: 5'3" : I'm the LWFAP! | / ) ) ( | 00083933@bigred.unl.edu | ( ( ( ) | she.is.actual.size@tmbg.org | ______________________ """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ` '__ | "If you say drink coffee, I'll drink | \ TWIN PEAKS / \ | coffee." --Agent Cooper | \ SHERIFF'S DEPT / ] """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" l _l___/ \__ __/ I have too much blood in my caffeine system! /_________\ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:51:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: My dream I dreamed last night that I went to a very casual TMBG concert and my friend Alex brought along a tape machine and for the first half of the show everything went fine and then suddenly he gave the tape machine to me. After that I tried to continue to tape the show but it was hard to conceal the machine and later I discovered that it hadn't taped anything at all since you had to hold it in a very specific way to get it to work. However my other friend was there with a Hi fi Hi-8 video camera and he not only taped the audio in stereo but he had videotaped the concert also. I was quite obviously relieved. Then John and John took us outside onto the street, it was night, and they made us play Duck Duck Goose. I was very nervous for I did not want them to see the tape machine I was holding which suddenly began to make a lot of noise when I tried to use it. This prompted someone to ask John and John how they felt about someone taping the show and they said they would rather we didn't. But I kept doing it anyway. I don't know if it came out though cause I woke up shortly after that. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:05:19 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: LTJ concert in Portland, OR >Wow, this is weird. Two ska posts in one day! This may be the wrong >place for it, but for anyone who cares: Oh no. Did this go to the TMBG list?? I'm terribly sorry.. it doesn't belong here.. grr... I'm embarrassed. The Almighty Cowgod "Do I need to understand every word from every man, or everything from every band... ...Do we really need to say much more than its all been done before?" -Less Than Jake, "Short on Ideas" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:43:46 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: xtc >It is sorta a mix between punk and ska, or that is howmy friend >put it. Well, now, this has made me curious. :) I've never heard of this XTC phenomenon before I joined the TMBG list.... Is XTC a ska-core band (punk/ska), or do they just do a variety, are they TMBGish? I know someone's going to say, "Go buy an album, find out," but, gosh, I'm awfully poor. I like ska and ska related music. Especially if they have horns. OOO! Do XTC have horns?? :) The Almighty Cowgod "Is it that, we're not punk enough, or is it that, you you think ska just sucks, but Jonny Quest, he thinks we're WHAT?" -Less Than Jake, "Jonny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts" ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: the band Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 17:45:35 -0400 (EDT) > > >Who would win in this fight: > > > >John vs. John > > > Whoa, I had a dream about that. I was up mnt. Biking, and I came flying > around this corner to see John and John, (including their entire band, > (maimone, doherty), with instruments and all), any ways, Linnell, was Actually, wouldn't that be maby and doherty? Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 17:59:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: Nostradamus and XTC Vs. Adam Ant >Saturday afternoon I had the opportunity >to see a "documentary" about Nostradamus entitled 'The Man who Saw >Tomorrow'. Yeah, I saw that too. It was pretty cheesy, but for the same reason it was fun to watch. Like when they blew up the rockets, they would just disappear and an explosion would appear it it's place. They blew up the Statue of Liberty, too. The best part was when the Anti-Christ nuked Paris--the Eiffel Tower melted...like a cheap $6 model kit. >Sorry about the two posts, but I just thought of this. Who would win in >this fight, XTC or Adam Ant? And would it be all of XTC vs. just Adam >Ant, or would it be a one at a time thing? Or would Adam have his old >back-up band, the Ants AKA Bow-Wow-Wow (who are also mentioned in the >song) to help even the odds? There are an infinite amount of >possibilities. But who would win? I think it would have to be XTC, with a drummer (it doesn't matter which one) vs. Adam Ant and the back-up band. I have this strange idea that Adam Ant would win, as from the pictures in their liner notes it doesn't look like XTC are the kinda guys who win a lot of fights. :) ///////////////////////////////Joshua Hall-Bachner////////////////////////////// / particle@servtech.com / / "I spend too much time raiding windmills, We go side by side, laugh until / / it's right. There's something that you won't show, waiting where the light / / goes. And maybe anywhere the wind blows, it's all worth waiting for." / //////////////////////////////////-- Toad The Wet Sprocket,"Windmills"////////// ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 18:31:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: xtc On Thu, 16 May 1996, CowGod wrote: > Well, now, this has made me curious. :) > I've never heard of this XTC phenomenon before I joined the TMBG list.... > Is XTC a ska-core band (punk/ska), or do they just do a variety, are they > TMBGish? XTC? Ska? hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Sorry Cowgod, I love Ska just as much as you do, but they are not ska. Think more in the genre of the Smiths (well, that's what I think of) Speaking of XTC, they played "Dear God" on 120 Minutes the week before last. :) Amanda ------------------------------ From: phefley@dbsr.com Date: Thu, 16 May 96 15:28:06 Subject: Re[2]: Nostradamus and XTC Vs. Adam Ant >I have this strange idea that Adam Ant would win, as from the pictures in >their liner notes it doesn't look like XTC are the kinda guys who win a >lot of fights. :) And Adam Ant does? Since when? SuzyB, who could probably beat up Adam Ant herself. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 18:53:17 -0400 Subject: Re: Nostradamus and XTC Vs. Adam Ant In a message dated 96-05-16 18:05:51 EDT, particle writes: >I think it would have to be XTC, with a drummer (it doesn't matter which >one) vs. Adam Ant and the back-up band. I have this strange idea that Adam >Ant would win, as from the pictures in their liner notes it doesn't look >like XTC are the kinda guys who win a lot of fights. :) Yeah, but XTC came out of that British punk thing and Adam Ant is just a wussy eighties music guy... Adam Ant is like this androgenous (not spelled right) fairy type person any... flame-baked as ever a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Subject: Re: xtc Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 17:57:22 -0500 (CDT) From: amy # > Is XTC a ska-core band (punk/ska), or do they just do a variety, are they # > TMBGish? # Sorry Cowgod, I love Ska just as much as you do, but they are not ska. Think # more in the genre of the Smiths (well, that's what I think of) # Amanda # XTC? and the Smiths? eeeg. No. Sorry. The Smiths were far more interested in the lives of the common... realists. Erf. (Oh, BTW, don't flame Amy about this... she is not a Smiths fan (at all) but she does dig Abba (eeeg)) pbleisch@uiuc.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 19:04:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: XTC Vs. Adam Ant Sorry to be stupid, but who exactly is Adam Ant? And what is up with this disturbing trend of the Johns writing songs about other bands (Dirt Bike, Stomp Box, Why Must I Be Sad, XTC Vs. Adam Ant)? RS ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 05:10:09 +0000 Subject: First They Experience Hello all My first experience involves Cynthia, who is probably reading this. Everyone say hi to Cynthia! She's new on the list. Anyway, I was over at Cyn's house studying for a history test last year, and she and another friend of ours were discussing this oddly-named group I'd never heard of. Finally I plucked up the courage to ask a question: "Who's They May Be Giants?" And Cynthia took off the Intellectuals, and she put on There May Be Giants. No, really. She played Flood, Apollo 18, and WDTSS for me, and by the time I went home I was favorably impressed with this rockin' band. I got A18 on an impulse when I saw it for a good price at Streetlight (local used-cd store), and listened to it day and night. I very quickly metamorphosed into the rabid TMBG fan you see before you, and started converting people to TMBG fandom myself (my proudest day was when I converted a friend of mine AND her parents at the same time)... ana.ng@tmbg.org is the poison you love. P.S. My Flood cassette has a big crack in it because I accidentally dropped it on the ground. More fodder for the "Flood is a cursed album" thread, I guess... ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@hooked.net nnicole@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 19:18:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Voting Ok, well, to anyone who still cares, voting will end tomorrow. I don't have enough for a top ten, so I'll just do whatever I feel like (since I doubt anybody really cares anyway). But, if you still want to vote (and have not yet done so), chances are good that your vote will have real impact on the outcome, since some bands are separated by only one vote. So go ahead and vote if you, for any reason, even feel the slightest urge to do so. I'll post the results even if you don't, though. Oh, and, to anyone else who cares, I can't make it to the concert tomorrow. If anyone's taping it, I'll trade you something for it. Stupid living in Ohio and not getting to go to any Ohio shows (why are they having a show on thursday! My cousins live in Columbus, and if it were on friday or a weekend, I'd be able to go!). Why aren't they playing in Cleveland either? They played in E-town (translation: buttf**k nowhere), and it was only by amazing circumstances that I got to go to that. I'll be quite upset if I don't get to go to another concert, living so close to all these other concerts that are going on. RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 19:22:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: 1st TMBG experience Hey everybody, I'm a new addition to the list, but here's my 1st TMBG experience. It was about 6 or 7 years ago, right around the time Flood came out. My older sister was into them, and I stole her tape with Flood and Lincoln on it. I listened to it all the time and from then on I was hooked. I would sing it in school alot and no one had ever heard of them, which isn't that odd considering I was still in elementary school. (I guess I'm probably the youngest person on the TMBG list) Anyway, nowadays I've found a few other TMBG fanatics in my school which is pretty damn cool, and we sit in lunch together all the time singing TMBG stuff and everyone thinks we're crazy. Sarah by the way, is anyone out there into Phish, Beck, the Muffs, Dead Kennedys or Civ? just wondering. =) ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Thu, 16 May 96 19:50:53 -0400 Subject: New album Hey TMBG freaks. I am new to the list so don't FLAME me when I ask when thew new album is coming out? I have heard some talk about it, but haven't seen a date. Anybody know? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 01:40:29 +0100 From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Re: TMBG Video Bootleg Would I be correct in assuming that the tape will be in whatever encoding format is in use in the USA (NCTS or something like that I think)? Is there anyone on the list that could convert the tape to PAL format for the UK/Europe list members? Joe ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 01:40:29 +0100 From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Alindromes & Panagrams After all the discussion about palindromes and anagrams, I got to wondering if TMBG have used spoonerisms in any of their songs. Seems to me like it's just the crazy kinda thing They Might do. Anybody know? Joe ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 20:53:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Amanda Gayle Douberly Subject: Re: Alindromes & Panagrams On Fri, 17 May 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > After all the discussion about palindromes and anagrams, I got to wondering > if TMBG have used spoonerisms in any of their songs. Seems to me like it's > just the crazy kinda thing They Might do. Anybody know? A spoonerism? Please enlighten, oh wise one. Up until now, I considered myself quite the English nerd...I guess I have to brush up literary elements. :) Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 20:59:40 -0400 From: CHUCK CAMPBELL Subject: It has spread! Early this year... I let my 6th grade teacher borrow Flood... (He knows French and his wife is from France, so he speaks French a lot) A day or 2 later... He comes to school singing "Particle Man" in French!!! To this day he has borrowed lots of TMBG, and whistles "Whistling In The Dark" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 18:29:43 -0700 (PDT) From: cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) Subject: Re: Nostradamus >genius. We can all be Nostradamus, if we learn to be properly vague. It's >not all that difficult. I'll agree, some of the predictions made from Nostradamus's quatrains are a bit far fetched, but perhaps that's because what he's hinting towards hasn't really happened yet. Or maybe not. Call me superstitious or whatever, but too many of his predictions have come too close to be ignored. When he was buried, he wore a chain and pendant around his neck. Inscribed on this pendant was a number. Many years later, the building in which his body lay was broken into, and people drank from his skull in order to gain his knowledge. Upon doing this, they found his pendant, and the number. The number was the year that they had broken into his coffin. Hister and Napolean are awfully close to important names in world history. There were other pretty obvious predictions as well, but I haven't read about Nostradamus since 8th grade.. so I don't remember them all.. but I do have a book of Nostradamus up upon my shelf. The Almighty Cowgod "Is it that, we're not punk enough, or is it that, you you think ska just sucks, but Jonny Quest, he thinks we're WHAT?" -Less Than Jake, "Jonny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts" ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 21:40:31 -0400 Subject: Re: Alindromes & Panagrams In a message dated 96-05-16 21:01:31 EDT, afn37647@afn.org (Amanda Gayle Douberly) writes: > >On Fri, 17 May 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > >> After all the discussion about palindromes and anagrams, I got to wondering >> if TMBG have used spoonerisms in any of their songs. Seems to me like it's >> just the crazy kinda thing They Might do. Anybody know? > >A spoonerism? Please enlighten, oh wise one. Up until now, I considered >myself quite the English nerd...I guess I have to brush up literary >elements. :) and sporkerisms? I really shouldn't post on whims a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 21:41:34 -0400 (EDT) From: chess piece face Subject: Re: Alindromes & Panagrams At 01:40 AM 5/17/96 +0100, you wrote: >After all the discussion about palindromes and anagrams, I got to wondering >if TMBG have used spoonerisms in any of their songs. Seems to me like it's >just the crazy kinda thing They Might do. Anybody know? > >Joe > > uh. . .what is a spoonerism? dave Dave Hendrix Georgia Institute of Technology gt8614a@prism.gatech.edu (404)206-1805 "Should you worry when the skull head is in front of you or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" -TMBG ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Thu, 16 May 96 22:17:48 -0400 Subject: Spoonerism! Lets see a spoonerism is like switching around letters in words I believe. For instance...instead of saying You are a stupid jerk. You would say...You are a jupid sterk. And then there is Tale of Two Cities...but uhhh you can figure that one out for yourself..heheheheh. Umm yeah. Anyway at least I THINK thats what it is... --Tim "Our loves never coming back, so we'll race to the bottom of a glass..." --TMBG ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: spoonerisms Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 01:08:40 -0400 (EDT) It is indeed an accidental transposition of sounds between 2 or more words. But I can't think of any right now. doh Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 00:19:53 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: The Coriolis Effect _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira wrote, concerning water down the plughole... >Anyway, the phenomenon does exist. It's called the Coriolis(sp?) effect, >but this is so very small other factors, like tiny bumps in your sink, >make it a random proces. Okay, so the phenomena exists, but why? What about gravity, the rotation of the earth, the alignment of the stars, whatever, makes water GO different ways out the sink? Wait a minute, dictionary to the rescue: ---Webster's New World Dictionary, _Coriolis Force_ the apparent force, caused by the earth's rotation, that produces the deflection (*Coriolis Effect*) of a moving body to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern. Does this mean that, according to good ol' Webster, water in the Northern Hemisphere goes to the right, i.e. the "right way," and so it is going the "wrong" way in the south? Now remember, I'm one to believe that TMBG were looking from the southern perspective, but you just HAVE to believe Webster... .......don't you? PUCK andy puckett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 00:20:13 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Brain Candy, plus freak-dom? Brother JohnBejezus said... >I'll be stayin' on the good ol' list this summer. Where did everyone get >their Brain Candy soundtracks? I've checked several record stores. I managed to find it at my local Camelot Music. Only one copy though. And I didn't even buy it...don't quite have the $ right now, you see. I'm the type who must have everything TMBG (or close), so it will be mine, eventually. I was just wondering, exactly how much of a freak am I? I've got TMBG, MISCT, Lincoln, John Henry (import with NYLive disc), Flood, A18, Back to Skull, Guitar single, I Pal I single, Istanbul single, WDTSunShine single, the XTC tribute album (w/ 25 O'Clock), and the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Soundtrack (w/ SenSurround). Have I got people beat, or am I just scratching the surface? again, PUCK andy puckett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Coriolis Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 01:28:06 -0400 (EDT) My boss and I were discussing today the Coriolis affect. He brought up a neat point. He was wondering what happens at magnetic norht and south? Does it stilll act the same as normal as per their hemisphers or could something strange happen there as well? Also, what does the Coriolis affect say about the equator? Any ideas? Wow, how more un-TMBG related can you get? ;) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-138 ******************************