Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-139 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 139 Saturday, 18 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Brain Candy, plus freak-dom? (none) The New Guy! Adam Ant is a wuss Re: Spoonerisms Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-138 Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-138 stuff, stuff, and stuff. My SuperFine Time at the Newport on Thursday 5/16/96 w/TMBG Re: xtc SPOONERISM RE: My SuperFine Time at the Newport on Thursday 5/16/96 w/TMBG punk+ska=xtc? No... but! UNE Concert RE: My SuperFine Time at the Newport on Thursday 5/16/96 w/TMBG The Coriolis Effect Re: The Coriolis Effect, jealousy, first time, etc. (none) End of the Tour personal (?) interp Re: The Coriolis Effect RE: My SuperFine Time at the Newport on Thursday 5/16/96 w/TMBG L'homme Particle, and other stuff Spoonerism - an explanation TMBG languages Re: TMBG languages Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 00:06:44 -0700 (PDT) From: "No. 10 Can of Steam" Subject: Re: Brain Candy, plus freak-dom? On Fri, 17 May 1996, Andrew W Puckett wrote: > Rangers Soundtrack (w/ SenSurround). Have I got people beat, or am I just > scratching the surface? Just scratching the surface. First, sign up for the Hello Recording club, including back years, so you can get the FULL-LENGTH NYLive disc, + Mono Puff, + State Songs. Then, check the discography, which (I believe) has a link off of www.tmbg.org. Jason "Always check tmbg.org first" Weiner %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Jason Weiner *"I'm the doctor of swing, the wizard of slide Stanford University * Every which way and side to side" discord@leland.stanford.edu* - the Reverend Horton Heat %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 04:38:42 -0400 From: torrence.4@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Amy) I know this might seem like a dumb question, but the things I've found counfuse me:) Can someone give me a rundown of the titles for the tmbg albums (there are five, soon to be six, right??) and maybe tell me which singles are REALLY good that I should get? I'm not a fanatic so I don't want everything ever made, but the good singles and the albums should be good....unless anyone has any other suggestions?:) Thanks! Always fall in with what you're asked to accept. Take what is given, and make it over your way. My aim in life has always been to hold my own with whatever's going. Not against: with. Robert Frost ------------------------------ From: Michael_J._Cairns@nrunner.mil.wi.us Organization: Netrunner BBS - Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 16:29:11 CST Subject: The New Guy! Hi Everyone, My name's Mike Cairns, I'm the new guy in this computer town. Not Mike Rose, like some of you thought when I posted my last question. Anyway, I'll be around for the summer- as long as no one scares me away. This is a response to the all Nostradamus and lyrical quarrel posts..... I think a good songwriters best tool is to be vague. That way the song requires the listeners imagination to complete the story. If the lyrics are well designed, they can mean whatever you want them to mean. TMBG are masters of this. As for Nostradamus predicting the future, I believe his statements are pretty vague. This makes for good entertainment, but shouldn't be taken to seriously. Just my opinion, Mike Cairns ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 11:16:07 +0100 (BST) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Adam Ant is a wuss > From: phefley@dbsr.com > > >I have this strange idea that Adam Ant would win, as from the pictures in > >their liner notes it doesn't look like XTC are the kinda guys who win a > >lot of fights. :) > > And Adam Ant does? Since when? I remember seeing 'Prince Charming' played on a Saturday morning programme called Saturday Superstore, once. Adam Ant was being interviewed afterwards and said that, as it says in the song, he doesn't drink or smoke. So I take this as evidence that he's a big girl's blouse, who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. One of the members of XTC, however, looks quite big, even if he is just fat, and could no doubt pulverise Adam Ant with ease. To be honest, I can't remember what 'The Ants' looked like. Except that they were all blokes. Mark ------------------------------ From: Tim Hedgehog Organization: Electrical Engineering UMIST Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 12:41:52 BST Subject: Re: Spoonerisms > On Fri, 17 May 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > > > After all the discussion about palindromes and anagrams, I got to wondering > > if TMBG have used spoonerisms in any of their songs. Seems to me like it's > > just the crazy kinda thing They Might do. Anybody know? > > A spoonerism? Please enlighten, oh wise one. Up until now, I considered > myself quite the English nerd...I guess I have to brush up literary > elements. :) > > Amanda > > A spoonerism - apparently named after one Reverend Spooner (I think) who was prone to using them accidentally - is when you swap the initial consonants of two words of a sentence over, like "Nissed as a pewt" or my favourite, "You've missed all my history lessons and wasted the whole term," which comes out as "You've hissed all my mystery lessons and tasted the whole worm" which makes me laugh. Still. As for They using them in their songs - well, I've got six albums and five singles, and I can't say I've ever noticed any. I'll look out for them from now on though, and keep you posted. Cheers to all then. Tim Hedgehog ------------------------------ From: Tim Hedgehog Organization: Electrical Engineering UMIST Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 12:43:55 BST Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-138 > Early this year... > I let my 6th grade teacher borrow Flood... > (He knows French and his wife is from France, so he speaks French a lot) > A day or 2 later... > He comes to school singing "Particle Man" in French!!! I'd *love* to hear Particle Man in French - could you post the words on the list, or (preferably) mail them to me, as I don't always get chance to read the list when it arrives. Thanks for that in advance. Cheers to all then. Tim Hedgehog ------------------------------ From: Tim Hedgehog Organization: Electrical Engineering UMIST Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 12:56:44 BST Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-138 > My boss and I were discussing today the Coriolis affect. He brought up > a neat point. He was wondering what happens at magnetic norht and south? > Does it stilll act the same as normal as per their hemisphers or could > something strange happen there as well? Also, what does the Coriolis > affect say about the equator? Any ideas? > Wow, how more un-TMBG related can you get? ;) > Matt At the North and South poles, you get coriolis force just like anywhere else, and what's more, it's strongest at the poles. On the equator there is no coriolis force - you push something, and it actually goes the direction you're pushing it. For anyone not understanding this thread, wondering what this coriolis thing is - try standing on a roundabout in a kids' playground, somewhere near the edge of it, facing the middle; now get it spinning really fast, and try to kick your foot sharply directly towards the centre of the roundabout. It's very difficult to do - you end up having to kick to one side just to get your foot going in the right direction. There you go - coriolis force. Now think of the earth as a big, ball-shaped roundabout, and you've got the same effect - when you try to move on the rotating surface, you get deflected to the left or the right. Not that you generally notice it as your walking down the high street, but if you were global weather system, you'd certainly feel it. But as Matt just said, relevance please? Suggestions to this address... Cheers to all here. Tim Hedgehog ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 08:30:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: stuff, stuff, and stuff. Greetings from Nebraska, where it's not the heat, it's the humidity. Well, for today anyway. :) Well, since Ruprecht was the only person who took me up on my cookie offer, I guess we get 'em all to ourselves. You guys are all missing out. :) Anyway...a long time ago, I asked if there were any Wally Pleasant fans out there. Well, shortly after asking that, I was talking to Matt James while he was looking at a Wally Pleasant web page. He'd never heard of Wally before this, and he said that he looked like "Morrissey on uppers" or something to that effect. Well, I never really realized what an accurate description that was until the other day when I saw a clip of Morrissey on TV. The resemblance really is uncanny! Matt, you're absolutely right! :) Anyone else ever noticed this? OK, so that was silly. Um...oh yeah, about that Purple Toupee 8-track promo thing, wouldn't that have to have been Bar None, not Elektra, since they didn't sign to Elektra 'til Flood and all? Kylee, your dream rocks! Wow, you hadn't told me that They were playing back by the Nintendo games and guns! You told me they were in Wal-Mart, but you didn't say where. That's even better! :) See, now I am the person responsible for corrupting this lunatic ("they said they wanted lives...others that they could...use...like they used me..." sorry, a little Twin Peaks quote there). --Tara, who actually goes *back* to school on Monday (summer session...basically the only way to graduate in four years anymore...) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 10:00:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: My SuperFine Time at the Newport on Thursday 5/16/96 w/TMBG Ben or Been here. Now hearing-impaired. I saw They Might Be Giants last night!!!!! Great time, great songs, great stuff. I stayed in the front for the whole show, house left (Flanny side), against the railing, in front of the speakers. My left ear is still ringing, and I suppose it will for two more days. I was having a blast, if anyone on the Digest saw me. I was acting like a mime before the show in the front on the raised, table-level of the Newport. You see, in my acting class, we did a quick mime unit, and it was a gas! I had it in my system, and wanted to play. I also, as promised, "stroked my figure like a sexxy woman" at the concert, if anyone saw me freaking out. I WAS VERY SPASTIC. Oh yeah, they played too much No Doubt preshow music, and when "Just a Girl" came on for the bazillionth time, I was miming, and then I decided to change the lyrics, and I went from: I'm just a girl To: I'm just a mime living in captivity living in captivity (as I mimed being trapped in a box) I'm just a girl To: I'm just a mime in the world of the times I've had it up to here To: I've had it up to here (as I mimed the top of my box) Fun stuff. Even more fun when I made contact with a guy who dressed as a clown with balloons at the concert. He was on the second level, and when I saw him, I declared him my new idol, and I tried to mime a wall to him from my ground location. I GOT HIS ATTENTION! He mimed back. Hilarious. Exciting. Then I LAUGHED MY TOOKAS OFF when I looked up later to see the very same clown up there smoking a cigarette!!! OH MY GOD, A SMOKING CLOWN!!! Also, there was some disco music in the preshow music at some time, and they played Sly & The Family Stone's "Thank You (Faletin Me Be Mice Elf)" (or however they spell their song), and I remember thinking how that song sounds somewhat like "Snail Shell" ("I want to THANK YOU Forputin Me back in MICE nail shell"). The opening act was a decent band called Gag (I guess that's how they spell it). They said they'll have a tape out soon. I liked the skater-singer's voice, and their sound to my ear was clean. I would buy an album of theirs if they made one. Then came TMBG. Eventually. Flans came out with a heavy red rugby for the concert, and cynically talked about the air conditioning in the joint (it was rather humid in there). He eventually stripped to a TMBG shirt. Linnell looked like a heroin addict to me--veinous, high-looking, caffinated. He smiled a lot, fortunately. :-) Flans was doing all of these "balletic" torres in the air (jumping and spinning around in the air), while Linnell sometimes looked like a creepy Frankenstein playing his synth. In the concert, Flanny said various tidbits: 2 comments about the air conditioning "SuperFine" "Supercalifragi-excellent" a new album is coming out in October (!!!) (they didn't say its name) "XTC Versus Adam Ant" was inspired by those _Rolling Stone_ and _Spin_ _History of Rock 'n' Roll_ books Linnell I think accidentally said: instead of "Triangle Man hates Person man," he said "Triangle man hates Particle man" again Here's all of the songs I can recall (there may be a few new songs I can't remember): 1st--Subliminal 2nd--Twisting 3rd--Meet James Ensor [now I can't exactly remember the order] How Can I Sing Like a Girl? (which they played on WCBE earlier that day) Reprehensible (***smoooooooth***) Why Does the Sun Shine? (fast version) (the last song of the concert--Flanny broke his guitar strings and jammed his guitar against the mic) Sleeping in the Flowers SEXXY (some country song) (Flanny expressed "ambivalence" for country music) (Spin-the-Dial went rottenly--no songs, just commercials) They Might Be Giants Are Driving Around (I don't know the real title for this song) Older On a Drag (I think that's the title--really cool tune) XTC Versus Adam Ant James K. Polk (Linnell said they just learned it again) The Guitar Spider Don't Let's Start AKA Driver Ana Ng Birdhouse in Your Soul Spy (very, very long improv part) Particle Man Istanbul (Not Constantinople) She Was a Hotel Detective (yeah, the disco version) SenSurround (with a new middle portion--no bah-bah-bah's) Rat Patrol (about an old non-violent jeep show, said Linnell) Dat's a lot of songs. I sang along to every one of 'em, EVEN THE ONES I'D NEVER HEARD BEFORE!!! I don't know what was with me, but I would fix on Flanny's lips as he sang, absorb the chorus of each song on the first time hearing it, and shout it at the top of my lungs (I still couldn't hear myself, the music was so loud!). I'd even sing the other lyrics tooooo!!! I got the TMBG hat. Nice. Only one crowd member made it to the stage, at which point when he jumped up, a security guard grabbed his leg, pulled him down, and one or two others tossed the kid from the show. No one from the Digest came to meet me, so I still don't know really any faces (a few exceptions). Anyway, it was a solid show, really fun, and I don't care if my hearing's gone. Supercalifragi-excellently Ben or Been Enjoy Bogart's, everybody!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 96 11:19 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: xtc well, the Almighty Cowgod asked if XTC were ska, and he got laughed at. so someone said they were like the Smiths, but that was scoffed at. and i was thinking, 'jeez, i'd like to describe XTC but i don't know how...' but i have my copy of 'A Testimonial Dinner' right here (good album, by the way, if a bit uneven), and they have a nice essay about the band, so i'll share it, and perhaps shed some light on the phenomenon. so here goes: --------------Begin Copyrighted Material from Liner Notes--------------- It was obvious from their debut release -- 1977's 3-D EP -- that XTC wasn't just another batch of sneering, snot-nosed upstarts hitch-hiking to one-hit wonderland on three borrowed chords. Their inherent musicality and twisted take on the prevailing punk idiom signaled that this hyperactive foursome from the planet Swindon would assuredly outlast 99% of its Brit-punk rivals. Which they have, quite well. Which isn't to say that along the way they haven't let anyone down. A group that's evolved and matured over the years as much as XTC is bound to exper- ience some turnover among its fan base. White Music (1978), their first album, and Nonsuch (1992), their eleventh, seem the products of two different bands. Partly they are: guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Andy Partridge and bassist/vocalist/songwriter Colin Moulding are 50% of the original linup; lead guitarist Dave Gregory entered the fray with their third album, Drums and Wires (1979), following the departure of keyboardist Barry Andrews (who formed Shriekback); drumkit ace Terry Chambers drifted off after English Settlement (1982), to be replaced by a succession of drummers-for- hire. In effect, XTC consciously became a trio; rotating session drummers would impart a rhythmic freshness and encourage new ideas. The band has drawn from an equally ambitious Rolodex of producers (e.g. Steve Lillywhite, John Leckie, David Lord, Todd Rundgren, Paul Fox, Gus Dudgeon, Hugh Padgham, et al.). Not a lot of continuity, but throughout, the songwriting has remained consistently high-quality. Like any rock outfit, XTC toured. But around 1982, Andy got famously sick: a severe case of anxiety/stagefright (AP:"I wigged out"), culminating in the singer walking dazedly offstage during a Paris gig. Thereafter, XTC opted for the Steely Dan profile: booked into studios, but not stadiums. With time on their hands, Andy, Colin, and Dave crafted more intricate songs and strove for perfection on record. Die-hards in mohawks were aghast. The overtones of anger in the lyrics subsided, but with maturity came a heightened cynicism; the controversial hit "Dear God" is but a postage stamp on a very thick packet. They still found time for frolics. In 1985, with Dave's brother Iain on drums, the boys turned day-glo and code-named themselves the Dukes of Stratosphear -- a quartet of unreconstructed, psychedelic relics. The results, 25 O'Clock, and the follow-up, Psonic Psunspot (1987) were con- vincingly retro, but to fans they were perhaps less out of character than intended and seemed terrific additions to the XTC legacy. They continued to flirt with the charts: "The Mayor of Simpleton" (1989) and "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" (1992) were even accorded some expo- sure on MTV -- mostly in the wee hours. Seeming indifference from radio, record labels, and the mainstream market only deepened XTC's disillusion- ment. They struggled, but it's not easy keeping love -- or a mortgage -- on a farmboy's wages. Over two decades, XTC has generated a lifetime's worth of great pop tunes. But in the US and UK markets they've suffered a cruel fate: consigned to the side-street curio shoppe of "cult bands." On the other hand, they've attracted hundreds of thousands of loyal fans worldwide (it's a *big* cult) -- some of whom made this album and all of whom hunger for each new release. Several years ago, a publicist for Charisma Records rode around New York in a limo with the band Jellyfish, who, she related, sane The Big Express a capella -- all of it, in sequence. These fans eagerly anticipate the next creative surge from Messrs. Partridge, Moulding, and Gregory. XTC outlasted most hooligans of '77 for one essential reason: *they had talent*. They *still* have talent. And oodles of *class*. Whether they're destined for Rock & Roll Heaven, Hell, or some Purgatorial halfway-house, more will be heard from this outstanding band and from its individual members. Just you wait. --Irwin Chusid, 1995 Irwin Chusid is a writer, radio personality (WFMU) and curator of musical esoterica. He has produced landmark reissue albums by Raymond Scott, Esquivel, and Lucia Pamela. ---------------End Copyright Material from Liner Notes---------------- i can only add to this, if you made it this far, that They decribe XTC as "Beatles-based pop", and praise their focus on "content" over "style". also, Skylarking is one of my top five all-time favorite, stranded-on-a- desert-island-with-only-a-stereo albums. -j.l. each watch i smash apart just adding to my power...each watch i smash apart is bringing near the hour... ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: SPOONERISM Date: Fri, 17 May 96 10:26:00 P Yea, I don't know who said it butI think they were correct in syaing that itis when you switch the sound sof 2 or more words around. Kind of like saying Gey thight me Biants Instead of They Might be Giants. But I may be wrong. If so please correct me someone! brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of Ladies ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: My SuperFine Time at the Newport on Thursday 5/16/96 w/TMBG Date: Fri, 17 May 96 13:00:00 P Are they usually really goofy at their shows? I mean, are they really big on the "lets be anal, and not let the crowd have a good time" type. I surely hope not. I doubt they would, they seem like the let's just have fun type. Has anyone talked to them in person for extended periods of time? Are they pretty friendly? I don't know I'm jsut trying to imagine what it woul dbe like to meet them. Chow for now. Brenden - nednerB AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ------------------------------ From: "Kerry Forester" Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 14:12:30 -0600 Subject: punk+ska=xtc? No... but! > >It is sorta a mix between punk and ska, or that is howmy friend > >put it. Sounds exactly like mighty mighty bosstones ta me. Kerry Forester ursinetc@scott.net http://www.scott.net/~ursinetc Birmingham, AL ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 15:31:12 -0400 From: CHUCK CAMPBELL Subject: UNE Concert Did anyone go see the TMBG concert at U.N.E. this winter? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 15:42:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: RE: My SuperFine Time at the Newport on Thursday 5/16/96 w/TMBG Well, they have said they feel like 'the vice-principals of rock' because they always discourage moshing and crowd-surfing ('pass the dude'). Actually, this is because they want you to listen to the music and the words, not bash into other people like an idiot. This really does preserve the fun for other people who aren't moshing. At the e-town concert (although it was generally ok and neither John had to warn the crowd or anything), I turned my head slightly to the right because I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye. Lo-and-behold, someone had been crowd surfing and was falling, butt first (with his legs raised), right onto my face. Well, he hit me, and I threw him off, but it kinda sucked anyway. RS ------------------------------ Date: 17 May 1996 16:19:00 +0200 From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: The Coriolis Effect Organization: Aquawolf, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Europe Andrew W Puckett wrote: > _ _ _ > | \ |_) |_) > |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira wrote, concerning water down the plughole... > >Anyway, the phenomenon does exist. It's called the Coriolis(sp?) effect, > >but this is so very small other factors, like tiny bumps in your sink, > >make it a random proces. > > Okay, so the phenomena exists, but why? What about gravity, the rotation of > the earth, the alignment of the stars, whatever, makes water GO different > ways out the sink? Wait a minute, dictionary to the rescue: > > ---Webster's New World Dictionary, _Coriolis Force_ the apparent force, > caused by the earth's rotation, that produces the deflection (*Coriolis > Effect*) of a moving body to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the > left in the Southern. As I've said before, the effect is much too small for water to spiral one or the other way around down the sink. > Does this mean that, according to good ol' Webster, water in the Northern > Hemisphere goes to the right, i.e. the "right way," and so it is going the > "wrong" way in the south? Now remember, I'm one to believe that TMBG were > looking from the southern perspective, but you just HAVE to believe > Webster... .......don't you? It probably was just a joke: they just mean "left way" but instead say "wrong way". _ _ _ _ | \ |_) |_) parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (_iao... |_/aniel | \odrigues |arreira parreira@ecsi.chem.uva.nl parreira@tmbg.org amsterdam, the netherlands, europe biochemistry student at the pgp key available on request university of amsterdam http://ecsi.chem.uva.nl/~parreira ## CrossPoint v3.11 ## ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 16:49:34 -0400 From: Susan Lyon Subject: Re: The Coriolis Effect, jealousy, first time, etc. lots of ramblings from me... At 04:19 PM 5/17/96 +0200, Daniel Rodrigues Parreira wrote: >As I've said before, the effect is much too small for water to spiral one >or the other way around down the sink. maybe i'm just not remembering my intro meteorology class correctly, but i think you're wrong...hurricaines go the opposite way in the southern hemisphere too. the coreolis effect has lots to do with weather and stuff. it makes a big impact on life, the universe, and everything. some other person said: >> Does this mean that, according to good ol' Webster, water in the Northern >> Hemisphere goes to the right, i.e. the "right way," and so it is going the >> "wrong" way in the south? Now remember, I'm one to believe that TMBG were >> looking from the southern perspective, but you just HAVE to believe >> Webster... .......don't you? maybe they really meant "water sprials the other way." re: first times: i don't remember my first tmbg experience...i know i knew about them before i got to college. i think my best friend gave me a dub of one of their albums or something. i remember talking to my then-future-best-friend elaine about them, and she'd just five days before gone to see them back when it was just the johns on stage at very small theaters. so i missed out. :( i'm so jealous of all you people who are getting to see them in concert!!!! with extreme jealousy...susan :) <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> <*> my other brain is also a porsche <*> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> <*> the.statue@tmbg.org <*> mozzer@umich.edu <*> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 17:17:36 -0400 From: torrence.4@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Amy) Thanks you guys! You gave me exactly what I needed to know:) Always fall in with what you're asked to accept. Take what is given, and make it over your way. My aim in life has always been to hold my own with whatever's going. Not against: with. Robert Frost ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 17:48:34 -0400 Subject: End of the Tour personal (?) interp Hey, all! I just felt like sharing today. It never ceases to amaze me how a slight shift in perspective can alter or add to the meaning of a TMBG song. I've always enjoyed "End of the Tour" as a nice "farewell for now" ditty, but not long ago I realized it could be much more than that, at least for me. About 11 years ago, my little sister was killed (hit by a car), and one of my memories of her is that she used to love to play "queen" when she was little. I was looking through some old pictures and came across one of her with, you guessed it, a makeshift crown and scepter. I began to think how that song could easily be a love song to someone who has died, and it just became so much more meaningful. And you'd think listening to it would bum me out now, but on the contrary, it's very comforting. I'm not trying to impose my view on others, and I certainly don't want to depress anyone, but the more I listen to it, the more it makes sense. My humble question is, does anyone else see it the way I do? If this has been discussed before I joined the list, please excuse me for bringing it up again! Kay ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 18:05:17 -0400 Subject: Re: The Coriolis Effect In a message dated 96-05-17 16:08:30 EDT, somebody writes: > >As I've said before, the effect is much too small for water to spiral one >or the other way around down the sink. The effect can, however, (as prooven on _The Simpsons_) be seen in a toilet and I'm pretty sure that I've seen it in sinks... I can't believe I just contributed to the longevity of _this_ thread I remember a while back people were talking about how they think there should be a horn solo, rather than a guitar solo in the bridge of No One Knows My Plan... anyway, while reading the liner notes today I found that They had some other guy (not John) plaing that part, not much importance here, but I was remembering the thread... oh, another old thread... I thought the line in NyQuil Driver that goes "big hand's on 120, little hand's on E" actually was "big hands, I want 20, little hands only" which makes a little bit of sense, but not to the song and reminds of another song "there's a place for people who love their poetry, it's just across from the sign that says prose only" a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 18:03:33 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: RE: My SuperFine Time at the Newport on Thursday 5/16/96 w/TMBG I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > > Are they usually really goofy at their shows? I mean, are they really big > on the "lets be anal, and not let the crowd have a good time" type. I > surely hope not. I doubt they would, they seem like the let's just have fun > type. Has anyone talked to them in person for extended periods of time? > Are they pretty friendly? I don't know I'm jsut trying to imagine what it > woul dbe like to meet them. Chow for now. > not unless you call a certain amount of concern for those listeners getting kicked in the head by crowd surfers the "let's be anal" type. i always viewed them as more of the "let's fry up some chicken tenders" type, but that's probably because i've been a "clean out that chimney NOW, dammit!" type since i was in jr. high. before then i was the "let's store stinky cheese in jars" type. now i'm the "bye bye" type, frank ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 04:31:44 +0000 Subject: L'homme Particle, and other stuff > Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 13:47:09 -0500 (CDT) > From: Little Woman From Another Place <00083933@bigred.unl.edu> > Subject: Dreams about TMBG, first TMBG experience > > me, and then Al from Quantum Leap showed up and leapt the sorority girl WHAT???!!! You mean I'm not the only QL nut on here! Yay! Sam'n'Al forever! > > > > >Who would win in this fight: > > > > > >John vs. John All the smart money's on John. :) > Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 19:04:15 -0400 (EDT) > From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> > Subject: Re: XTC Vs. Adam Ant > > Sorry to be stupid, but who exactly is Adam Ant? And what is up > with this disturbing trend of the Johns writing songs about other bands > (Dirt Bike, Stomp Box, Why Must I Be Sad, XTC Vs. Adam Ant)? > > RS At the risk of sounding stupid myself... in what way are Dirt Bike and Stomp Box written about other bands? Am I missing something? > Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 20:53:39 -0400 (EDT) > From: Amanda Gayle Douberly > Subject: Re: Alindromes & Panagrams > > On Fri, 17 May 1996, Joe Keith wrote: > > > After all the discussion about palindromes and anagrams, I got to wondering > > if TMBG have used spoonerisms in any of their songs. Seems to me like it's > > just the crazy kinda thing They Might do. Anybody know? > > A spoonerism? Please enlighten, oh wise one. Up until now, I considered > myself quite the English nerd...I guess I have to brush up literary > elements. :) > > Amanda > Spoonerisms are accidental transpositions of the initial sounds of words. So a crushing blow might become a blushing crow. They were named after a certain Rev. Spooner, an English professor dude (at Oxford, I think) who used to make this kind of blunder all the time. (He lived about 150 years ago, I think.) His most famous one (I suspect it was fabricated, but what the hey) went something like this: "Sir, you have tasted two whole worms, you have hissed all my mystery lectures, and you have been caught fighting a liar in the Quad. Therefore you will leave Oxford on the next town drain." (My brain full of useless information like this, instead of useful information like the Arctan of pi/2. This is why I'm very good at Trivial Pursuit and very bad at everything else.) > Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 20:59:40 -0400 > From: CHUCK CAMPBELL > Subject: It has spread! > > Early this year... > I let my 6th grade teacher borrow Flood... > (He knows French and his wife is from France, so he speaks French a lot) > A day or 2 later... > He comes to school singing "Particle Man" in French!!! > To this day he has borrowed lots of TMBG, and whistles "Whistling In The Dark" > I am French, I speak fluent French, and I'm currently mounting a one-person campaign to introduce my various relatives to TMBG. (So far, it's not working. I remain hopeful, however.) I tried translating "Particle Man" into French not long ago and came up with gibberish that didn't fit the meter. How did your teacher do it??? Did it sound cool? Nicole, who is waiting on nins and peedles to hear the answer. (puns and noodles? nuns and poodles?) *---------------------------------------------------------- Now in three delicious flavors! Original: nnicole@hooked.net Extra Crunchy: nnicole@tmbg.org Cool Mint: ana.ng@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 01:58:56 +0100 From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Spoonerism - an explanation As one who recieve his TMBG list digested instead of having total gratification from each post individually, please don't be too miffed if this is the nth+1 time you've heard this..... As defined in Chambers Dictionary... Spoonerism: A transposition of initial sounds of spoken words - e.g. "shoving leopard" for "loving shepherd". [Rev. W.A. Spooner (1844-1930), a noted perpetrator of transpositions of this kind.] Anagrams and palindromes are more of a "visual" thing whereas spoonerisms are most definitely aural. As in the "shoving leopard" example. As a visual conception it should really be "shoving lepherd". Doesn't look quite right does it? I think that this would probably make spoonerisms in the lyrics (if any exist) pretty difficult to find. I'd still like to know of any! An exercise in futility. Try these... Down Train well Oiled Bicycle Dear old Queen Missed my History lessons Tale Of two Cities (courtesy of tim.clark@rma.edu) Wasted the whole Term Friar Tuck (Capital letters play a part here!) Answers on a postcard please to , to reach me no later than pirst fost yesterday. First one out of the hat wins a pick in the kants or an etheral hug (depending how I'm feeling ;) ). Seriously though - If these beasts exists, I'd like to find them. Joe ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Fri, 17 May 96 21:48:03 -0400 Subject: TMBG languages Well lads and lassies I'm thinking with all this talk about translating TMBG into french, that it is my duty to translate a song or two into LATIN! Yes, I have taken 1 year at college, and with about 2 or 3 hours to work on it (hey I am not too good) I could prob. translate a snazzy song or two. then we can all go around singing 'em. If you have never heard a song translated into latin from english lemme tell you, its freakin hIIIIIlarious. Other people should start on German, Swahelia etc. Hm...I wonder if the Johns would ever write a song in Latin? hmmm... ESSENT Giantes...puer! < Subject: Re: TMBG languages On Fri, 17 May 1996 tim.clark@rma.edu wrote: > into french, that it is my duty to translate a song or two into LATIN! Yes, I > ESSENT Giantes...puer! < I dont know the latin word for giants...must look that up... A few years back, I bastardized the Latin into Essent Fortasse Gigantis, or EFG! It sort of works, and has a cool acronym. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Jason Weiner *"I'm the doctor of swing, the wizard of slide Stanford University * Every which way and side to side" discord@leland.stanford.edu* - the Reverend Horton Heat %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-139 ******************************