Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 14 Sunday, 14 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: statue Hello, New Hello Baby T.M.B.G. does not equal TMBG The Original "Why Does the Sun Shine" HIP HIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: T.M.B.G. does not equal TMBG Re: HIP HIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ska-core, they might be giants and more Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 11:00:49 -0500 Subject: Re: statue From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) On Jan 12, 1996 20:38:27, 'Liam Singer ' wrote: >This has really been bothering me. In the statue got me high, >right after they sing "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh", or >"Diiiiiiiiiiiiie", sometimes, mostly in the middle of the song i hear what >sounds like a cartoon character saying "wait", or something like that. >You can hear it if you listen really loud on your walkman. Am I going >crazy? Hearing things that aren't there? Help me. > >Liam > > > you are not going crazy. when i listen to that song on my stereo with 4 speakers everytime that part came on i would turn around because it sounded like someone was saying WAIT right behind me. as to what it is i'm not sure but i have heard it... -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 14:52:40 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Hello, New Hello Baby Ben or Been here, about the Hello Club. Supposedly one can order the 1996 Hello Club offering now! I called Hello the other day and left a message with my snail-mail address to have them reach me, telling me whether they've received my order. I've Been curious. I figure if it's gonna take so long to find out, I might as well initiate communication instead of wait without response. I don't know if this "tactic" would work for anyone else who's without Hello stuff (i.e., Scott at Bleh Productions), but might as well give it a try since the call is free (1-800-hello-41). Ask them maybe whether they've received your order, and then write you explaining whether they have or not. Whatever. Just some advice. Ben or Been I should learn how to spell "superb" and research more on General Semantics ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 14:58:17 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: T.M.B.G. does not equal TMBG Ben or Been, high on a hill with a lonely goat turd. I've glanced through my music collection and compiled a list of music possibilities for TMBG-Lovers. That is, if you like TMBG, you may like some of this music. Feel free to add you two cents. GREAT STUFF FOR TMBG-LOVERS: 1. Moxy Fruvous--Bargainville. Subscribe to their fan club. 2. Ween--Pure Guava. A little raunchy, somewhat offensive, but humorous. 3. Ween--Chocolate and Cheese. Less raunchy, mucho variety. Pop sound, much humor. 4. The Flaming Lips--Transmissions from the Satellite Heart. Fun static. 5. Kraftwerk--The Mix. Seventies techno. Sounds like Sesame Street dance music. 6. Moxy Fruvous--Wood. Not yet available in the USA, but obtainable in Canada. Different sound than _Bargainville_. A tad more serious. 7. Big Audio Dynamite II aka BAD II--The Globe. Ingenious sound, British snippets. Includes the song "Rush." 8. Dan Baird--Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired. Fun story-telling songs with a country feel, but *This is not country*. 9. You Are What You Eat (soundtrack)--Probably very hard to find. Includes Tiny Tim singing "I Got You Babe" and "Be My Baby." Cult classic. 10. Dr. Demento's 20th Anniversary Compilation--Has "Fish Heads," etc. 11. The Tear Garden--Sheila Liked the Rodeo. Very bizarre. Industrial feel, with a smidgeon of humor. Noise. 12. The Presidents of the United States of America--(self-titled?). Includes many songs about little animals--alive and dead. Includes "Lump" and "Kitty." 13. Leon Redbone--(quite a few). I especially like the song "Seduced." 14. The Dukes of Stratosphear--Chips from the Chocolate Fireball. I've plugged this album so much. Includes the original version of "25 O'Clock. 15. XTC--Skylarking. Superb. Gorgeous. Includes "Dear God" and "Grass." 16. Roger Waters and some other guy--The Body (soundtrack). Roger Waters of the Pink Floyd teams up with a classical composer to make bodily noises as music. Includes they toilet fart song "Our Song," and "More than Seven Dwarfs in Penis-Land." 17. Soul Coughing--Ruby Vroom. They've opened for TMBG, and rocked the joint with the Warnerlike "Bus to Beelzebub." ------ Clip and add your own! Musically, Ben or Been Ask me about Korzybski ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 15:58:56 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The Original "Why Does the Sun Shine" Ben or Been here, plugging Ben's Dial-A-Song! Thanks for all who have called, which totals about four people. Within the next few minutes, I will have (hopefully) the original _Space Songs_ recording of "Why Does the Sun Shine" on Ben's Dial-A-Song. The number is: (614) 823-2583 call at respectful hours, please. I love ya all, TMBGers! Ben or Been Take out the Copulae ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 16:30:27 -0500 Subject: HIP HIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) i know the list has been back up for some time now, but for some reason i wasn't getting any of the mail (i heard from mr. klaw) but now that i've had to resubscribe, i'm so happy!!!!!!!! this is great!! i mean, i actually missed you people!!!!!!!!!!!! what's getting into me? -- :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 14:47:01 -0600 From: dnousek@maildrop.srv.ualberta.ca (Debbie Nousek) Subject: Re: T.M.B.G. does not equal TMBG >Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 14:45:18 -0600 >To:Benjamin Hauck >From:dnousek@pop.srv.ualberta.ca (Debbie Nousek) >Subject:Re: T.M.B.G. does not equal TMBG > >>Ben or Been, high on a hill with a lonely goat turd. >> >>I've glanced through my music collection and compiled a list of music >>possibilities for TMBG-Lovers. That is, if you like TMBG, you may like >>some of this music. Feel free to add you two cents. >> >>GREAT STUFF FOR TMBG-LOVERS: >>1. Moxy Fruvous--Bargainville. Subscribe to their fan club. >>2. Ween--Pure Guava. A little raunchy, somewhat offensive, but humorous. >>3. Ween--Chocolate and Cheese. Less raunchy, mucho variety. Pop sound, >> much humor. >>4. The Flaming Lips--Transmissions from the Satellite Heart. Fun static. >>5. Kraftwerk--The Mix. Seventies techno. Sounds like Sesame Street dance >> music. >>6. Moxy Fruvous--Wood. Not yet available in the USA, but obtainable in >> Canada. Different sound than _Bargainville_. A tad more serious. >>7. Big Audio Dynamite II aka BAD II--The Globe. Ingenious sound, British >> snippets. Includes the song "Rush." >>8. Dan Baird--Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired. Fun story-telling >> songs with a country feel, but *This is not country*. >>9. You Are What You Eat (soundtrack)--Probably very hard to find. >> Includes Tiny Tim singing "I Got You Babe" and "Be My Baby." >> Cult classic. >>10. Dr. Demento's 20th Anniversary Compilation--Has "Fish Heads," etc. >>11. The Tear Garden--Sheila Liked the Rodeo. Very bizarre. Industrial >> feel, with a smidgeon of humor. Noise. >>12. The Presidents of the United States of America--(self-titled?). >> Includes many songs about little animals--alive and dead. Includes >> "Lump" and "Kitty." >>13. Leon Redbone--(quite a few). I especially like the song "Seduced." >>14. The Dukes of Stratosphear--Chips from the Chocolate Fireball. I've >> plugged this album so much. Includes the original version of >> "25 O'Clock. >>15. XTC--Skylarking. Superb. Gorgeous. Includes "Dear God" and "Grass." >>16. Roger Waters and some other guy--The Body (soundtrack). Roger Waters >> of the Pink Floyd teams up with a classical composer to make bodily >> noises as music. Includes they toilet fart song "Our Song," and "More >> than Seven Dwarfs in Penis-Land." >>17. Soul Coughing--Ruby Vroom. They've opened for TMBG, and rocked the >> joint with the Warnerlike "Bus to Beelzebub." >>------ >>Clip and add your own! >> >>Musically, >>Ben or Been >>Ask me about Korzybski > >Being from Edmonton, I must plug the local stuff. Captain Tractor is a >small band with but two albums, Land and East of Edson. Both are >entertaining and contain the folky feel of They music that just impells >one to dance. From East of Edson, a popular fave is The Last Saskatchewan >Pirate or Up the Hill. Check out their home page on the www, >http://www.ualberta.ca/~gcarolan/Tractor.html >Definately worth a look! > >Ciao, Bruce. ************************************************ It's the three e-mailateers - Debbie/Donna/Bruce ************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: HIP HIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 16:35:45 -0500 (EST) > i know the list has been back up for some time now, but for some reason i > wasn't getting any of the mail (i heard from mr. klaw) but now that i've > had to resubscribe, i'm so happy!!!!!!!! this is great!! i mean, i actually > missed you people!!!!!!!!!!!! what's getting into me? Just a reminder. If the list can't deliver mail to you for a week or more I'll automatically remove you from the list. I had to remove a bunch of people over break because of bad mail. If at any point you're not sure if you're on the list or not send e-mail to majordomo@tmbg.org with the command "which" in the body and it will send you back a note telling you what lists you are subscribed to. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 17:12:34 -0500 Subject: Ska-core, they might be giants and more In a message dated 96-01-12 03:19:33 EST, you write: >The Skastafarians most recent release was a track on the Skanarchy II >disc. The disc is a compilation of ska bands from (mostly) the northeast >scene. Actually, I didn't like the Skastafarians track too much, but >there are some great bands on the album, my favorites being the Snappers, >Lo-Fi Big Band, Skavoovie and the Epitomes, and Johnny Too Bad and the >Strikeouts (yes!).................. Wow you must be from CT, huh? Well if anybody on this list loves ska, CT is the place.. I saw Spring Heeled Jack , with The Mighty Mighty Bosstones last night at Toads... great show, and i bootlegged it to boot...yeah!! The Bosstones are just one of the nicest bands in the buisness, allowing fans at their leisure to come on stage, to sing, dance, stage dive, whatever.. and no intereference from the Toads infamous bouncers... Dicky even hung out in the crowd after the show and was talking to everybody for a while... what a great show.. i would suggest ska to any one here who loves the giants, especially the songs with a horn section.... ok tmbg relevance...While i was at toads i saw who's opening for the Giants next week. ANy one ever hear of The Candy Butchers? well i havent either... but if you're going to the Toads show drop me a line i'm gonna attempt to boot this show so i'll let you know.. In other if you like tmbg you'll like these concerts news.. The Meat Puppets (the authors of Whirlpool) at Toads 3/1 The Ramones "Farewell tour" at Toads 2/23 i think.. and almost every night at the Tune In local Ska Shows... the plaguerat ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-14 *****************************