Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-141 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 141 Monday, 20 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Coriolis Undeliverable Message The end of my tour...for now... The Coriolis Effect--definitive answers? Aliases and Logos Re: The End of The Tour Re: The End of The Tour Re: AWW YEAH-TMBG AT U OF C!!!!!! 5/18/96 Re: TMBG languages Bogarts 5/17 (none) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 02:29:25 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: Coriolis Matthew James wrote... >My boss and I were discussing today the Coriolis affect. He brought up >a neat point. He was wondering what happens at magnetic norht and south? >Does it stilll act the same as normal as per their hemisphers or could >something strange happen there as well? Also, what does the Coriolis >affect say about the equator? Any ideas? This is just a guess, but I would think that the Coriolis Effect would be at its maximum at the poles and its minimum (nonexistent) at the equator. After all, it's the combination of rotation and gravity that causes it, right? I'd imagine that there has to be SOMEONE on this list who has been at the equator...your input, please. P U C K andy puckett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 May 96 3:43:32 EDT From: Subject: Undeliverable Message To: Cc: Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-140 Message not delivered to recipients below. Press F1 for help with VNM error codes. VNM3043: Jason Soltan@1292@ETS VNM3043 -- MAILBOX IS FULL. The message cannot be delivered because the recipient's mailbox contains the maximum number of messages, as set by the system administrator. The recipient must delete some messages before any other messages can be delivered. The default limit is 1000 messages. Administrators can set lower limits if required using the Change mailbox settings function available in the Manage User menu (MUSER). The 1000 message limit is the maximum allowed by the Mail program. If this limit is reached, the recipient must delete some of the messages before the mailbox can accept any more incoming messages. ---------------------- Original Message Follows ---------------------- The original message was larger than the viewing area. It cannot be displayed as is. Therefore, it has been stored in the file `mail.txt'. Please view this file in order to read the message. Thank you. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 18:05:09 -0500 (EST) From: CORT Subject: The end of my tour...for now... Hiya everyone! This is cortney, how are ya! Sadly, I'm leaving for home in a few minutes...so I will be forced to unsubscribe, seeing as I'm not certain of my email situation at home. But I want to thank you all for being so great, I'm gonna miss ya! Also, I have a request, if one of you could help me out, I'd be most grateful...I *will* have some (although it may be limited) email access this summer, so could the people going to the shows this weekend *please* forward me the concert reviews? Thanks so so much! Until next time, be safe, take care of each other, and have a They day! sun and smiles cortney ck8@tiger.uofs.edu http://tiger.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ps - I forgot - please also forward me any concert or album info, I'll owe ya one, thanks! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 May 96 10:33 EDT From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: The Coriolis Effect--definitive answers? hello, again... i've been watching the discussion about the coriolis effect with not a little chagrin, because i know it's a controversial subject. i've finally given in and decided to share a resource with you. anyone who wants to hear the scoop on water and drains, as well as anyone who has a half an hour or so to spend being interested, should check out the following WWW site: http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/BadMeteorology.html i trust this will be a valuable contribution to the tmbg knowledge base, and that we can all stop talking about this for a few months, until the topic resurfaces. :/ later! -j.l. water spirals the wrong way out the sink...?!?!?!?!?!?! ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Aliases and Logos Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 11:44:09 -0400 (EDT) I got a flood of e-mail alias submissions while I was out of town. I hope to be able to resolve all the technical problems I have had with them in the next day or two and get back to processing the backlog. I will add I am a little disappointed. So far about 160 people have signed up for an alias, and to date only four people have been kind enough to send along some money to help support this operation. I was guessing that 10-20% of the people who signed up would help out, I suppose that was too optimistic. I would like to thank those 4 people who sent along a check, as you can see from the numbers you definately stand out, and I'll remember that. In other news, the web site needs a little re-vamping. To that end I'm looking for a "tmbg.org" logo. I'm sure there are a lot more artistic people than myself who could come up with something nifty. If you would like to submit a design please upload a .gif or .jpg file to ftp.tmbg.org:/incoming and then drop me some e-mail. Good submissions will go up on a web page for people to look at, and maybe vote on. If you have any other suggestions or comments on the web site this is the time to voice them, just drop me a note. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 13:24:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: The End of The Tour >I've always taken the line "Then came a knock at the door, which was odd, >and the picture abruptly changed" to mean that the driver of the car wasn't >paying attention, maybe drifting into sleep or another state of mind. When >the two cars hit ("knock at the door"), he was jolted back into reality >("the picture abruptly changed"). I see it somewhat like this. I see a lot of car accident/death interps of this song, but mine is different. I, personally, like to take it at something closer to face value and see it as a sort of weird love song. Here we go: >>There's a girl with a crown and a scepter >>Who's on WLSD >>And she says that the scene isn't what it's been >>And she's thinking of going home >>That it's old and it's totally over now....etc. I think this sets up the female protagonist...the "crown and scepter" represent how she's "special"; she's a starlet of some sort. I personally tend to think of her as a reporter/anchorperson; the crown could be a headset and the scepter a microphone (and it also fits with the WLSD bit). >>Never to part since the day we met out on Interstate 91 >>I was bent metal, you were a flaming wreck when we kissed on the overpass I think that the first line here fits this interp better than the death interp, where IMHO it doesn't seem to fit. I think these bits have layered meanings: the guy and the girl are driving, completely oblivious to each other, when they have their little accident. The second line describes both the state of the cars and the state of the people afterwards: the guy maybe rescues the girl from her car, she's really frazzled. They see each other and fall instantly in love. >>I was sailing along with the people >>driving themselves to distraction inside me >>Then came a knock on the door which was odd >>and the picture abruptly changed As I see it, the guy is driving alone with his anxieties, letting all the stuff in the world get to him, when the little accident happens, and he's jolted out of it; again, there's a double meaning here: he stops thinking about it for the moment because of the accident, but he stops thinking about it in general because of what happened because of the accident: his meeting the girl. >>This was the vehicle, these were the people, >>You opened the door and expelled all the people >>You let them go Here, again, the "people" are the anxieties in his mind from his job, life, etc. He wallows in them, until he meets this woman. She "opens the door" and lets the anxiety flow out of him. >>At the end of the tour, >>When the road dissapears >>If there's any more people around >>When the tour runs aground >>And if you're still around >>Then we'll meet at the end of tour >>The engagements are booked >>through the end of the world >>So we'll meet at the end of the tour. This is the important part: even though he's able to release his anxieties and his guilt with her help, they both still have their responsibilities. For whatever reason, they can't be together. So the "End of The Tour"...when they can, when they've been "freed", they'll seek each other out again. The "engagements are booked thru the end of the world" because circumstances are such that they can't be together now. When the "tour" is over, when they are free, they can finally see each other again. >>We're never gonna tour again Meaning, once they are free of all their obligations, they can settle down and forget it all; they'll never "tour" again. This is my interp. The only thing I have a problem with is the line "If there's any more people around"...the other references to "people" are to the guy's worries. Does this mean that he only needs her to soothe his mind? That he wants her back so she can calm his anxiety again? Hmmmm.... ///////////////////////////////Joshua Hall-Bachner////////////////////////////// / particle@servtech.com / / "I spend too much time raiding windmills, We go side by side, laugh until / / it's right. There's something that you won't show, waiting where the light / / goes. And maybe anywhere the wind blows, it's all worth waiting for." / //////////////////////////////////-- Toad The Wet Sprocket,"Windmills"////////// ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: The End of The Tour Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 13:19:00 -0500 (EST) Joshua Hall-Bachner brings "End of the Tour" interps closer to earth: > > I see it somewhat like this. I see a lot of car accident/death interps of > this song, but mine is different. I, personally, like to take it at > something closer to face value and see it as a sort of weird love song. > That's how I see it. I've been considering sharing my interpretation of this song ever since Brooks Ann posted her highly imaginative ideas. Since Joshua is halfway in agreement with me, I'll keep parts of his post and add my ideas (rather than rehashing the entire thing): > >>Never to part since the day we met out on Interstate 91 > >>I was bent metal, you were a flaming wreck when we kissed on the overpass > > I think that the first line here fits this interp better than the death > interp, where IMHO it doesn't seem to fit. I think these bits have layered > meanings: the guy and the girl are driving, completely oblivious to each > other, when they have their little accident. The second line describes both > the state of the cars and the state of the people afterwards: the guy maybe > rescues the girl from her car, she's really frazzled. They see each other > and fall instantly in love. > I see the car-crash imagery as being *metaphorical*. This imagery describes the protagonist's meeting of the girl and its impact upon him. I was sailing along with the people Driving themselves to distraction inside me Then came a knock on the door, which was odd And the picture abruptly changed > As I see it, the guy is driving alone with his anxieties, letting all the > stuff in the world get to him, when the little accident happens, and he's > jolted out of it; again, there's a double meaning here: he stops thinking > about it for the moment because of the accident, but he stops thinking about > it in general because of what happened because of the accident: his meeting > the girl. > Again, I see this instead as a metaphor for the way he was going through life, and how that was changed by the profound impact on him of this meeting. Alternately, one could interpret the metaphor so that the car represents him in his complacent misery, being driven along his path by others (either people or anxieties), until that path crossed hers, changing his entire outlook on his life and its course. Either way, the knock on the door is the accident, which is a metaphor for the meeting and its effects. > >>This was the vehicle, these were the people, > >>You opened the door and expelled all the people > >>You let them go > > Here, again, the "people" are the anxieties in his mind from his job, life, > etc. He wallows in them, until he meets this woman. She "opens the door" and > lets the anxiety flow out of him. > No real disagreement here, except that they could be metaphors for his anxieties or for real people influencing him, but they are external forces (although perhaps internalized) which are "steering" his life. Again, the vehicle could have been either his life or it could have been him before the meeting. It doesn't matter too much, it's only a subtle distinction in the imagery. > >>And if you're still around > >>Then we'll meet at the end of tour > >>The engagements are booked > >>through the end of the world > >>So we'll meet at the end of the tour. > > This is the important part: even though he's able to release his anxieties > and his guilt with her help, they both still have their responsibilities. > For whatever reason, they can't be together. So the "End of The Tour"...when > they can, when they've been "freed", they'll seek each other out again. The > "engagements are booked thru the end of the world" because circumstances are > such that they can't be together now. When the "tour" is over, when they are > free, they can finally see each other again. > I agree here too, except that I don't think they can *ever* be together. They could if she were still around at the end of the tour, but apparently that will never happen (or at least not until the end of the world, and obviously at that point they wouldn't be touring any more...) So there is something irreconcilable about their lives which must keep them separated. m@t ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 16:25:15 -0400 Subject: Re: AWW YEAH-TMBG AT U OF C!!!!!! 5/18/96 >Did you tape the show? No, I didn't tape the show and was wondering if anybody did???? tucker ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 21:10:42 -0400 From: julinka@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG languages I translated most of "Out of Jail" into Polish and recorded it while playing on my cheezy keyboard. Fun-fun. love and other neat stuff, Julia "Oh, please don't go! | We'll eat you up! | Curtsey while you're thinking what to say. It saves time. We love you so!" | -the wild things | ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 21:26:50 -0500 (EST) From: "Absolutley Ben's Mood" Subject: Bogarts 5/17 Best line from the Cincy show came from flans after playing one of the new songs..."One of the things a band should never do live is play two unreleased songs in a row but like the Burger King slogan says, sometimes you have to eat garbage." The show was very nice...more energy from a deprived Ohio crowd than the crowd I usually see in the over saturated New York area...Flans conducting Spy was wierd but very cool...Flans was posing a lot...like his big scary monster pose...I hope others noticed this...like when he puts his arms up and kind of jumps in place...its really odd...They did a lot more improv than I'm used to seeing which was nice...a pretty damn good show overall...I really liked Faker this time round...the first time I saw it @ Mercury I was rather ambivelent....I really like their new guitarist...he almost made up for the lack of horns...he was simply awsome...They with a funk groove is just awsome... Ben *------------------------------------------------------------ "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told you can only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like, be like yourself." -- They Might Be Giants "Where do correct ideas come from? Do they drop from the sky? Are they inate in the mind? They come from social practice and from it alone." -- The Scene Is Now Ben Houck--Houckbe@math.earlham.edu--Hangs in the air the way most bricks don't. ___________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 23:12:35 -0500 From: fasnacht@voicenet.com (Peter Fasnacht) Is this how you send a message to the whole list? Well, if anyone's actually reading this, here's my contribution: At work tonight (Pizza Hut) we did a litle test. Three sinks full of water; three cooks; three drains. One swirled the water one direction, another the other, and one sink was left alone. The ones that were spun went their respective directions, and cariolis spun the other clockwise. I don't know what that proves, but I was getting $5.50 an hour to conduct the test, so I thought I'd share. Also, I study Chinese at Drexel U so I'm sure I could translate some TMBG into the old Zhongguo hua (in Romanized phoenetics, not characters yet). Has anybody else ever snagged one of Flans' guitar picks? They rule! It's the Flood logo thing, but it says "Flans" around it instead of "Flood", and it's all bright yellow. Rock on. Peter The light at the end of the tunnel may well be an oncoming train. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-141 ******************************