Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-142 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 142 Tuesday, 21 May 1996 Today's Topics: Undeliverable Message end of the tour interpretation. Re: The Coriolis Effect--definitive answers? Yet Another New Guy Re: The End of the Tour a TMBG anecdote Aliases fixed. Re: Aliases and Logos bogarts (none) POSTERS Lots and lots of Misc. T alking Re: your mail Re: POSTERS Hello Records / March 96' release frank!! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 20 May 96 3:38:12 EDT From: Subject: Undeliverable Message To: Cc: Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-141 Message not delivered to recipients below. Press F1 for help with VNM error codes. VNM3043: Jason Soltan@1292@ETS VNM3043 -- MAILBOX IS FULL. The message cannot be delivered because the recipient's mailbox contains the maximum number of messages, as set by the system administrator. The recipient must delete some messages before any other messages can be delivered. The default limit is 1000 messages. Administrators can set lower limits if required using the Change mailbox settings function available in the Manage User menu (MUSER). The 1000 message limit is the maximum allowed by the Mail program. If this limit is reached, the recipient must delete some of the messages before the mailbox can accept any more incoming messages. ---------------------- Original Message Follows ---------------------- The original message was larger than the viewing area. It cannot be displayed as is. Therefore, it has been stored in the file `mail.txt'. Please view this file in order to read the message. Thank you. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 13:20:07 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: end of the tour interpretation. i always saw it as one of those "the tour's over and we're kinda sad" things. but then again i've always been a bit simplistic. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 13:29:33 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: The Coriolis Effect--definitive answers? "J. L. Moquin" said... >anyone who wants to hear the scoop on water and drains, as well >as anyone who has a half an hour or so to spend being interested, >should check out the following WWW site: > > http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/BadMeteorology.html > This is a DAMN interesting website, especially for those of you who want to know what is REALLY going on, from cloud formation to raindrops to the greenhouse effect, and to our own fave, that coriolis-thingy. Basically, the earth only rotates once per day, while the water in your sink rotates a _heck_ of a lot faster than that, so coriolis is hardly noticeable. So the Johns must have a really odd-shaped sink, and they have to let the water set for days upon days, to actually claim coriolis responsible. But, they're not the only ones...MANY people hold this false perception (even me, until I read the page). I suggest you check out the webpage...there's a damn good little story about a guy at the equator who fakes the effect from 20-or-so feet to both north and south, and an explanation of how you can fake it from your own chosen "equator" (my living room, for example!). Apparently, this faker was on Michael Palins' "Pole to Pole" special...and he believed him, too. P U C K andy puckett puck@apci.net =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> "I ran out of gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to God!!!!" -Jake Blues =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> =^> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 16:02:14 -0500 From: ultragon@salamander.com (David Skretta) Subject: Yet Another New Guy Hello. This is yet another new guy. I'm a TMBG fan and have been ever since my friend introduced me to them about a month and a half ago. Since I first heard "John Henry", I've been hooked. Now, I also have "Apollo 18" and "Flood", my personal favorite being "Flood". I'm interested in the band, even though I'm relatively new to them. I hope to learn more about them in the future, and if it's possible, even become a bigger fan. And, uh, that's all! *************************************************************************** * David Skretta -ultragon@salamander.com -or- * The time to hesitate* * Web Site -http://www.salamander.com/~ultragon* is through... * * * The Doors * *************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 17:10:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Re: The End of the Tour > >I see the car-crash imagery as being *metaphorical*. This imagery describes >the protagonist's meeting of the girl and its impact upon him. Obviously...but I think it's possible that it has a double meaning--i.e. literal _and_ metaphorical...as in, the event that caused his meeting her is related in his mind to the jolt of the meeting. <"people" bit snipped> >No real disagreement here, except that they could be metaphors for his >anxieties or for real people influencing him, but they are external forces >(although perhaps internalized) which are "steering" his life. Again, the >vehicle could have been either his life or it could have been him before >the meeting. It doesn't matter too much, it's only a subtle distinction >in the imagery. Hmmm...I think that a lot of what happens in this song has a double meaning: the "accident", the "vehicle", and so on. The whole car-related physical thing that happens to this guy is a perfect metaphor for what happens to him *emotionally*. That, IMHO, is the beauty of the song. So really, I don't disagree with you...I just see two distinct "levels" in the song: the physical/literal and the emotional/metaphorical. >I agree here too, except that I don't think they can *ever* be together. >They could if she were still around at the end of the tour, but >apparently that will never happen (or at least not until the end >of the world, and obviously at that point they wouldn't be touring any more...) >So there is something irreconcilable about their lives which must keep >them separated. Maybe...but I think the hope involved is a very important factor in the song. They may know that it's not practical for them to be together, but they can still hope. That's what drives the man, what keeps him going, what lets out "the people"; the hope that someday again, they can be together, even if it's maybe not in this life. (The end of the world bit...) Without this hope, he's worse off than before. ///////////////////////////////Joshua Hall-Bachner////////////////////////////// / particle@servtech.com / / "I spend too much time raiding windmills, We go side by side, laugh until / / it's right. There's something that you won't show, waiting where the light / / goes. And maybe anywhere the wind blows, it's all worth waiting for." / //////////////////////////////////-- Toad The Wet Sprocket,"Windmills"////////// ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 10:29:32 +0000 Subject: a TMBG anecdote I've got a cool little TMBG story to share with y'all. It's a true story. I have two best friends. I've known Karin since second grade and Jessica since fourth, and we spent all our time together every day at the miserable little private school we attended. When we reached high school, we split up and went to three separate high schools. We kinda kept in loose contact with each other, but we didn't really get together a lot. Here's the interesting bit-- all three of us decided, independently of each other, to major in the hard sciences. (Physics for Jess, ECS for me and Karin). Most importantly all three of us discovered TMBG independently, and we're all ragin' fanatics. Weird, huh? After four years apart, we turned out the same. Well, that's my odd little TMBG story for the day... stay tuned for my next lil' They anecdote. > Date: Sun, 19 May 96 3:43:32 EDT > From: > Subject: Undeliverable Message AAAAAAAaaaaggggghhh! It's Shane Markle revisited!!! > Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 21:10:42 -0400 > From: julinka@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG languages > > I translated most of "Out of Jail" into Polish and recorded it while playing > on my cheezy keyboard. Fun-fun. > > love and other neat stuff, > Julia Let's collect the foreign language versions and post them somewhere! Wouldn't that be cool? > Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 23:12:35 -0500 > From: fasnacht@voicenet.com (Peter Fasnacht) > > Is this how you send a message to the whole list? Yes. > Well, if anyone's actually reading this, here's my contribution: > At work tonight (Pizza Hut) we did a litle test. Three sinks full of > water; three cooks; three drains. > One swirled the water one direction, another the other, and one sink was > left alone. The ones that were spun went their respective directions, and > cariolis spun the other clockwise. Jeepers, Peter, you seem to have stumbled onto the Anomaly Sink!! The coriolis effect spins water counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere. (I'm assuming here that Drexel U. is not south o' the equator.) I'm going to try to lay this coriolis thing into an early grave. Yes, the coriolis effect does exist. No, it doesn't make much of a difference. I happen to know that coriolis forces are weensy-- about three ten-millionths of the force of gravity. The shape of the drain and the teeny little imperfections in your sink make more of a difference. Water spirals every which way (including the wrong way) out the sink no matter where you are. > I don't know what that proves, but I > was getting $5.50 an hour to conduct the test, so I thought I'd share. They pay you $5.50 an hour to support your TMBG habit? Last job I had I got $5 and I had to listen to bad new age the entire time. (Let me point out that I am fond of GOOD new age (e.g. Enya), but this was very definetely BAD new age.) > Also, I study Chinese at Drexel U so I'm sure I could translate some TMBG > into the old Zhongguo hua (in Romanized phoenetics, not characters yet). Yes! Please do! We can add it to our TMBG in Weird Foreign Languages collection! > Has anybody else ever snagged one of Flans' guitar picks? They rule! > It's the Flood logo thing, but it says "Flans" around it instead of > "Flood", and it's all bright yellow. Where did you get this?! Oh... wait, don't tell me. You've probably been lucky enough to attend one of Their concerts. (and no, I'm NOT bitter. REALLY, I'M NOT.) nicole, who is not bitter. Ellos Pueden Ser Gigantes! *---------------------------------------------------------- Now in three delicious flavors! Original: nnicole@hooked.net Extra Crunchy: nnicole@tmbg.org Cool Mint: ana.ng@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Aliases fixed. Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 19:39:04 -0400 (EDT) I believe I have fixed all of the problems associated with the mail aliases and mailing to the list. Those of you who reported the problems please check the headers to make sure everything is ok. As many problems with computers turn out it took two weeks to find the problem and fully understand it, and a single keystroke to fix it. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Aliases and Logos Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 20:10:25 -0400 (EDT) (The following is a reply to a note that I got about my message to the mailing list about people not sending in money. Names have not been sent to the list.) I'm sorry you had such a negative reaction to my note. You are right, my tone was a bit harsh, but I think it was rightly so. When I first mentioned the aliases I got over 50 respones that they would be glad to chip in a few bucks for an alias. To find that after several weeks of offering them that 100+ had signed up, but only 4 had sent in money was disturbing, not because I wasn't getting money but because I feel like people were going back on what they said. I'm not in this to get rich, if I was I would be charging up front for all the services. I'm sure I could make money at it if I wanted. I do this out of a love of TMBG, and because I am able. To provide this high quality of service is a bit of a burden, one which I will bear if I have to. I encourage people to make donations if they feel the services they get are worth something. I encourage people to donate because they want to help me out. I don't want anyone to donate just because they feel guilty. I'm going to try really hard to not bring this up anymore. I didn't want to turn this into a pay service, and I feel like the more I write about it the more likely people will pay out of guilt. That's not what I want to happen. I also apologise if I offended anyone with my last note. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 20:38:54 -0400 (EDT) From: MATTHEW D BURKART Subject: bogarts Hi everyone, I was in the very back at the Bogarts show. I did see a lot of good conga lines but I was waiting to do it with "No One Knows My Plan" but they never played it :( I thought stump the band was good with "Werewolves in London", but Flans did not get into howling liking a werewolve as much as the crowd did. It was a great show and I cannot wait to see them again. Matt ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 23:15:32 -0500 From: fasnacht@voicenet.com (Peter Fasnacht) Sorry to jump from the world of coriolis, but does anyone else have posters from their German tours? I have one from Lincoln and one from Apollo 18, but I'm always looking for more. I pay big bucks (in Chinese currency, sorry) for 'em. Are there any others out there? How many different hats are there? I don't see many hats. I have one, but it's old and faded. Is anyone else here from around Philadelphia? Just wondering. The inevitable first experience story: Some chick I had a crush on in 6th grade liked them, and I said I was their biggest fan, and she started talking about them to me and expected me to answer, so I went out and bought as much as I could. Chicks are cool sometimes. She turned out to be an Ozzy/Pantera/White Zombie type, which is cool, but not really my style. Rock on. Peter The light at the end of the tunnel may well be an oncoming train. ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Mon, 20 May 96 23:36:43 -0400 Subject: POSTERS Speaking of posters where do you get posters of TMBG? Being as I am in the middle of NOWHERE. (virginia) Theres no music stores around here that sell any decent posters! Give me an address! HECK! You can send me one since you guys are so nice! :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 22:33:26 -0500 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking hello! I haven't posted for a long time, so I'm going to put a lot of stuff together. I'm glad to say that I have gotten another victim to start listening to TMBG and i'm working on another. about coriolis: please, shut up. water spirals in your toilet, right? that's all that matters. about 1st listening experience: I was one of those kids that had a mind made of streudel and was exposed to them when i was about 7 or so on tiny toons, and i was hooked. am i the youngest person on the list? i'm 12 right now. anyway... i've gotten a few victims in indiana since then and some in iowa too. okay, then... i'm a fan(atic) now, and i have all the albums and misc. t (the "compilation/remix ALBUM") and WDTSS which was the only single i can find anywhere... so don't doubt my fan(atic)ism. about end of the tour interp.: I like the reporter idea, since it does fit in with the WLSD, which could be a TV station, the 4 letters, starts with "w"... what do you think? anyway... i don't really have much to say otherwise about that since my mind is like swiss chesse after I've had cappuccino... about other misc. crap: I just noticed that in "snoball in hell" (i think that's the right one...) whoever's singing (i think maybe linnel? maybe not...) sez "my fantasy's in a xerox shop" or something which goes along with the "i've got a crush... copy shop clerk" from snail shell... hmmm.. also, in pencil rain does anyone know if that's morse code in the background? i wouldn't be able to tell what it's saying if it is... la la la: please don't torture me with your concert descrips! i hope They come to Iowa sometime..... ever.... in the next mellenium, eon, or minute... it would make this corn place happy land! okay, enought random babbling... bye... bbk Braham Ketcham | "I'm standing in my yard, where they tore #############################| down the garage to make room for the torn hexagon@salamander.com | down garage." www.salamander.com/~hexagon | - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 23:29:57 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: your mail On Mon, 20 May 1996, Peter Fasnacht wrote: > Sorry to jump from the world of coriolis, but does anyone else have posters > from their German tours? I have one from Lincoln and one from Apollo 18, > but I'm always looking for more. I pay big bucks (in Chinese currency, > sorry) for 'em. Are there any others out there? How many different hats Okay, anyone with any THEY posters, I will pay the bucks, too, but in American or Canadian currency...let me know... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 23:31:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: POSTERS On Mon, 20 May 1996 tim.clark@rma.edu wrote: > > Speaking of posters where do you get posters of TMBG? Being as I am in the > middle of NOWHERE. (virginia) Theres no music stores around here that sell any Are you the Self called Nowhere?..hehe...they humor....hehe...anyways...you think that you've got it bad? They tour up motsly in the new england states...you could see them if you wanted too...I'm stuck down here in little ol' texas and, well, they just don't like it down here or something.... > *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ From: Myopia9@aol.com Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 00:50:48 -0400 Subject: Hello Records / March 96' release Hi. I am trying to track down a copy of the Gothic Archies Cd ep that was released on HELLO records in March of 96'. If there is anyone out there that might be willing to part with their copy or even just make me a tape (yes, i know that's illegal!), please email me at myopia9@aol.com Thanks. -Kerry ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: frank!! Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 00:53:53 -0400 (EDT) Whilst on my way down to Oriole Park today to see the Orioles schwap the California Angels, I got to listen to the Frank O'Toole (East Orange NJ radio station thing in March 1987, not far from the Edison show site in West Orange NJ!) that Cortney so kindly sent me and boy is it wild and great! It is heavily demo tape influenced, noticed that from Cowtown and theothers sounding in their still experiemental stage. But it is really gfunny too. I think the Johns just went off the deep end on this thing. I have yet to listen to the whole thing but it is neat. Also, it has We Just Go Nuts at Christmas Time, Getting Sentimental Over You, Mario Speaks, and WDTSS which strikes me very odd since that came out in single form in 1993, so when I get to that portion of the tape I'll have to see what is up. Really neato listening to that, realy neato seeing the O's win 13-1 and just a good fun time. 8-) Bye, Matt June 7 is approaching! -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-142 ******************************