Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-143 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 143 Wednesday, 22 May 1996 Today's Topics: RE: TMBG languages Re: POSTERS RE: TMBG languages Re: a TMBG anecdote posters Re: TMBG languages Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking EH?! Rated 4.7!!! TMBG on video Phew! =?iso-8859-1?Q?=A1Gigantes en Espa=F1ol!?= Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking its alright Another New Guy !!! Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: RE: TMBG languages Date: Tue, 21 May 96 08:37:00 P Actually, I don't remember where, I think it was in the holiday newsletter, But the Johns were trying to compose some song in greek. I don't know! Sounds good to me. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ Subject: Re: POSTERS Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 11:08:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of tim.clark@rma.edu: >Speaking of posters where do you get posters of TMBG? Being as I am in the Here's an old tip from the list. I have no idea if the company in question still exists, but it might be a lead... -CB Date: Fri, 1 Jul 94 11:32:57 CDT To: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu From: mmarx@trivia.coginst.uwf.edu (David Marx) Subject: Incredible?! Well, okay, here's the address Allright, here's the address for Burning Airlines T-shirt catalog. Send $1.50 for the catalog. The address is: Burning Airlines Box 3757 * Dept. S1 Trenton, NJ 08629 I think they have about three TMBG posters. One that has the snowman on it. one giant one. They are between $6-$11. Gotta go. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- David Marx mmarx@trivia.coginst.uwf.edu "There's a fine line between stupid and clever." - Spinal Tap "Summer is ready when you are." - the Breeders "My chrome's sharp and shiny, just like an icicle. I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle" - Beastie Boys *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 14:03:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: RE: TMBG languages On Tue, 21 May 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > Actually, I don't remember where, I think it was in the holiday newsletter, > But the Johns were trying to compose some song in greek. I don't know! Yup, it was the holiday newsletter. They were trying to translate Number 3 (?) into greek (I think to fit the meter and all), with the help of someone... Chris someone I think. I think it's the same person they collaborated with on... Annabouboula... or something, I don't remember exactly what, but it's on the discography. I memorized the newsletters and the discography pretty much (after reading them 3 times), but I don't know them verbatim or anything, so... Oh, and since they didn't finish it (and said they probably never will), it's become the longest-standing TMBG project ever. RS ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 15:20:42 -0400 Subject: Re: a TMBG anecdote In a message dated 96-05-20 19:13:28 EDT, nnicole@hooked.net (Nicole Carlson) writes: > >> Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 21:10:42 -0400 >> From: julinka@tmbg.org >> Subject: Re: TMBG languages >> >> I translated most of "Out of Jail" into Polish and recorded it while >playing >> on my cheezy keyboard. Fun-fun. >> >> love and other neat stuff, >> Julia > >Let's collect the foreign language versions and post them somewhere! >Wouldn't that be cool? I'd be quite happy to host the foreign language versions at my tmbg page the Hall Of Heads now that I'm moving it again... So anybody who has translations, send them to me, and post them and give you credit... ------------------------------ From: Veruca555@aol.com Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 15:25:43 -0400 Subject: posters About TMBG posters ... At a concert I attended in Oct of 1994 at Lisner Auditorium in DC, posters were being sold along with t-shirts. For $5, you could have your own, autographed by the Johns poster of the John Henry cover photo (that girl). It is framed and hanging on my wall. You can purchase that same poster through the Newsletter, only sans autographs. neal ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 15:52:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG languages In a message dated 96-05-21 10:41:40 EDT, brenden writes: > >Actually, I don't remember where, I think it was in the holiday newsletter, >But the Johns were trying to compose some song in greek. I don't know! > Sounds good to me. They were going to do something with some greek guy they know and his band that was called "Annaboubala" or something... ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 15:52:44 -0400 Subject: Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking In a message dated 96-05-20 23:36:36 EDT, hexagon@salmander.com writes: > > about other misc. crap: >I just noticed that in "sno[w]ball in hell" (i think that's the right one...) >whoever's singing (i think maybe linnel? maybe not...) sez "my fantasy's in >a xerox shop" or something which goes along with the "i've got a crush... >copy shop clerk" from snail shell [sleeping in the flowers]... hmmm.. > Not too long ago we had this discussion, but that's all right, I like this one... Apparently, according to everyone who's listened very closely to snowball in hell and has been (or ben) told what to listen for, the line actually says "my panacea is in a Xerox shop" (panacea means a cure-all, elixir is a synonym)... people have said that this changes the connection between the two songs, but I don't think so... his cure-all in the Xerox shop could easily be the copy shop clerk... just as easily as if it did say "fantasy"... So I can still call Sleeping in the Flowers "The Continuing Adventures of a Snowball in Hell" ... is this in the FAQ yet? a spooky man named me ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Tue, 21 May 96 17:42:33 -0400 Subject: EH?! >> Speaking of posters where do you get posters of TMBG? Being as I am in the >> middle of NOWHERE. (virginia) Theres no music stores around here that sell >>any >> decent posters! Give me an address! HECK! You can send me one since you >>guys are so nice! :) >Fairfax county, VA has some good stores I'm sure... >Are you going to the Fairfax county fair where TMBG will be playing btw? >Matt WHAT?!??! I didnt know this! why wasn't I notified! Matt I want YOu in charge of this...WHEN will they be playing? What days? What time? How much? Etc.! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 17:48:38 -0500 From: ultragon@salamander.com (David Skretta) Subject: Rated 4.7!!! Hello once again to all of the TMBG fans. I've uncovered something a bit disturbing. At http://www.ffly.com I ran a search for They Might Be Giants. It turned out on a scale from 1-7, 7 being highest, 1 being lowest, the average rating was 4.7! I was blown away by these ratings, and I couldn't beleive it. I ended up rating three of TMBG's albums 6,7,7. Oh well, maybe not everyone even knows about them! *************************************************************************** * David Skretta -ultragon@salamander.com -or- * The time to hesitate* * Web Site -http://www.salamander.com/~ultragon* is through... * * * The Doors * *************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 18:19:24 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG on video I hear there is a video compilation that one ambitious soul is attempting to assemble. I have a copy of some earlier videos: Purple Toupee, They'll Need a Crane, Puppet Head, Ana Ng, Hotel Detective, and Don't Let Start. I would be willing to send a copy of it to the brave person who is in charge of compilation. I am also interested is geting a copy of the tape when it is finished. Somebody e-mail me and inform me in what I need to know. "There are three kinds of actuaries: those who can count, and those who can't." --Bob (An actuary on Jeopardy) Mike P. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Phew! Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 19:25:33 -0400 (EDT) I have finished updating all of the aliases. There were 5 people who didn't put a valid e-mail address in their submission. If you didn't get mail from me today about your aliases then you need to resubmit with a valid e-mail address. I would also like to thank all those people who droped me personal notes in the last few days about sending in donations. I did read all of them, alas I don't have time to reply to that much mail individually right now. Thanks for your support. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: klamb@ecentral.com Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 17:45:01 -0600 Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=A1Gigantes en Espa=F1ol!?= > Ellos Pueden Ser Gigantes! um... not to be nitpicky, but wouldn't it be podrian rather than pueden? Pueden means 'can' or 'able to'. just a second-year spanish student who is rapidly running out of things to procastinate with, marty ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 23:13:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking Look. I've listened (carefully and repeatedly) to the line, and I'm still not convinced he says 'panacea.' First of all, it says in the lyric sheet that it's fantasy. Second, the meaning of the song supports fantasy and not panacea. It goes on to describe a fantasy, an imagined situation, in which he's at a xerox shop. It does not mention anything further about a panacea. Also, just because it _can_ sound like panacea does not mean it actually _is_ panacea. Example: In Hideaway Folk Family, it _sounds like_ he's saying 'the sad little cross-eyed bear' but he's really saying 'and sadly the cross-eyed bear.' It all depends which one you have in mind when you listen to the line. If you go in listening for the correct one, you can hear it. But if you go in expecting and listening for the other one, you can hear (or think you hear) it. The same applies to fantasy/panacea. I use headphones and a variety of equalization settings when I'm looking for something subtle (because it's the only reliable way to do it). When I do that, I can't actually tell what they're saying. When I think 'panacea's' I sort of hear it. When I think 'fantasy is' I sort of hear it. It all depends on what I'm thinking or listening for. What I can tell you, however, is that without a lyrics sheet or any previous knowledge, I would still suspect that it's 'fantasy,' and so, not being able to disprove it, that's what I'm sticking with. RS ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Tue, 21 May 96 23:44:16 -0400 Subject: its alright Guys...maybe its pancea pancreas fantasy whatever...calm down. its alright...:) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 15:00:07 +1100 From: fass256@ariel.macarthur.uws.EDU.AU (joe giunta) Subject: Another New Guy !!! A note from another new guy. I am writing from Sydney Australia. (I noticed there aren't many, maybe any from there here (HUH ?) Anyway, just to get the metaphorical ball rolling, I'll do my Snappy answers to Stupid questions bit now... First listening : My sisters friends boyfriend was a big fan for years and I got a tape off him. It was Lincoln and I've been listening ever since. First concert : In Sydney, at the Metro for the John Henry tour. The conga-line was long, but nothing worth bragging about. Question ? - Does anyone know when the next album is coming out and if they are keeping the same band ? Back to the concert, SPY was brilliant, the conducting seemed longer than on the album, but thats not to say I was complaining. For some reason ANA NG was the most requested song. Also , does anyone know if They tour Australia for each album, or was this just luck. (I know they where out here for Apollo 18, but I wasn't a fan then). finally, As for what 'End of the Tour' means, I haven't had time to have a good look at it, but I'll write back with my twisted opinion later. Bye for now, ......JOE !!! ------------------------------ From: DSEEBODE@aol.com Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 02:20:26 -0400 Subject: Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking well, i guess you found the 'panacea' for that question. dave ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-143 ******************************