Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-146 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 146 Saturday, 25 May 1996 Today's Topics: MONO PUFF getting off list John L. Drug Tip Re: Drug Tip Extra Stuff Re: John L. Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking Re: Drug Tip food for thought Re: John L. Extra Stuff Re: John L. Goin' away Tour Dates & Albums FLANS! Re: John L. Re: John L. Newsletter Re: food for thought Web Site Experiment T-Shirts Just about everything, actually Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 09:50:50 -0400 From: gonzalez@vitaliy.harvard.edu (David Gonzalez) Subject: MONO PUFF Mornin', Many thanks to blue.canary (Sam Pearson)!! The info on the rykodisc page is totally cool. EVERYONE, please check out this page! It has cool bio's of everyone who plays on the Mono Puff record as well as John F's comments on each song. Here's the URL: http://www.rykodisc.com/3/features/monobio.html Enjoy!!! drg "If it's a kite kit that you wanna fly, then it'll be a kite that I'll buy" Mike Watt ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: getting off list Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 12:18:15 -0400 (EDT) I must have lost the message that tell sme how to get off the list. Can someone send that to me or just tell me how to get off the tmbg list so that I can remove my friend from the list that is no longer at school? Thank you much! Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: John L. Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 12:34:35 -0400 (EDT) > Mono Puff is Flansy's band!? Hes got TWO!? I thought TMBG was always pretty > busy touring!? How come I never heard of em. Hmmm... Are they good? Of course > they have Flans. Anybody else of note in there? Does John L. have another band? > What is this...hmm. What mono puff albums are good? How many are there anyway? > Hmm... > John L doesn't really have another band but he does ahve the States Songs and he's doing the Governors of New York songs, so he hdoes have a side project. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 96 09:11 PDT From: chrisf@iceonline.com (Chris Foley) Subject: Drug Tip cowgods@teleport.com (CowGod) said: >Maybe it's a drug trip kinda thing. Hearing colors has been described as a >LSD effect. :) Drug trip? It's not a drug trip. Hey, I feel a bit insulted... Hey, does Flans make a habit of coming out into the audience after shows? At the second TMBG show I went to Flans came out and sat at a table and talked with people, signed shirts and stuff, etc. It was cool and I have an autographed shirt now =). Is this a regular thing? -- Chris Foley (chrisf@iceonline.com) DNRC POPE OF CAPITAL LETTERS, HPK ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 13:54:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: Re: Drug Tip NO!!! John does not make a habit of coming out into the audience. When was the show that he signed your shirt? My first show, which was Spetember 1992, Flans came out and stood at a table and chatted and signed things, he signed my Flood CD. I have never seen either one of them come out again, except to get in their car :) (Hey there Etown goer-friends!) *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 13:38:28 -0500 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: Extra Stuff > >Mono Puff is Flansy's band!? Hes got TWO!? I thought TMBG was always pretty >busy touring!? How come I never heard of em. Hmmm... Are they good? Of course >they have Flans. Anybody else of note in there? Does John L. have another band? >What is this...hmm. What mono puff albums are good? How many are there anyway? >Hmm... Well, Mono Puff only has one CD now. It is from the Hello CD of the Month Club, and it has five songs on it. It is totally cool! There are two other Mono Puff CDs coming out this year. The first will be a full-length preview disc from The Hello Club. This CD will be autographed by John Flansburgh. The second CD is called "Unsupervised", which happens to be the name of the best song from the first Hello release of Mono Puff. "Unsupervised" will be available in stores in mid-summer. John Linnell does not seem to have another band, but has engaged in a few solo projects. He has done two Hello releases: the first being "State Songs", and the second being, "House of Mayors", which will be released later this year, maybe around the time when the new TMBG CD comes out. "State Songs" is a five song release which sings the non-praises of South Carolina, Oregon, Maine, and Nevada, and sings the praises of Pennsylvania. An unreleased track called "The Theme to the Songs of the Fifty States" cleverly introduces these. It may or may not become released on CD. "House of Mayors", which I have not yet heard, "incorporates songs written about New York City Mayors and songs written by New York City Mayors." This all explains the reason why it has taken an extra half year for TMBG to come out with new music. They haven't become lazy. They have simply exploded with creativity. I hope they keep up all of their projects. Scott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 14:54:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: John L. > John L doesn't really have another band but he does have the State Songs I would like to remind you all that John Linnell _IS_ his own band! He can do it all! Unlike Flans, who totally sucks. (Raise shields... trolling for flames...) Also, why did it say that JF's recording experience started in 1987, and that the Mono Puff band was starting an extensive tour in September (???)? Isn't this when the new TMBG tour should be rolling out, accompanied by a new album? Also, are the songs on Unsupervised that are the same as the ones on the Hello CDs the exact same songs, or what? Grrrr, why don't they just do a TMBG side project! That would be much easier! RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 15:07:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking On Wed, 22 May 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > That's not true! In my lyrics sheet, and most people's lyrics sheets, that > line and many others are emitted... Ok. You're right, it's not in the lyrics sheet that comes with the CD. I was referring to the lyrics sheet I got when a guy gave me a tape a long time ago. Of course, it being late at night, I thought you would all know this. Again of course, none of you had any chance to know this and so were very confused. RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 96 12:16 PDT From: chrisf@iceonline.com (Chris Foley) Subject: Re: Drug Tip >NO!!! >John does not make a habit of coming out into the audience. > >When was the show that he signed your shirt? >My first show, which was Spetember 1992, Flans came out and stood at a >table and chatted and signed things, he signed my Flood CD. It was at a show in Vancouver at the Commodore (cool old ballroom with bouncy floor), I think maybe 2 years ago. It was a couple of months after Apollo 18 came out. He signed my NASCAR-type shirt! -- Chris Foley (chrisf@iceonline.com) DNRC POPE OF CAPITAL LETTERS, HPK ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 12:20:21 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: food for thought I was in the music store yesterday, and I found a book with musicians and their recepies. I looked up TMBG, and they were in there! The recepie was "Flansburg's french toast", and Flansy says that it is responsible for twenty percent of his current body weight. Some nifty pictures in there, if you can check it out... It was my 15'th birthday on the twenty-first, so I've got lots 'o money. I'm thinking of getting the four-year package of the Hello club. Is it worth it? ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 15:36:56 -0400 Subject: Re: John L. In a message dated 96-05-24 14:59:32 EDT, 97starya@james.hawken.edu (Ryan Staib) writes: > Also, why did it say that JF's recording >experience started in 1987, and that the Mono Puff band was starting an >extensive tour in September (???)? What I concluded when I read that (although I'm probably wrong) is that the Mono Puff band would be the first act before They came out (that's just too cool to actually happen though :) ) ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Extra Stuff Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 16:21:20 -0400 (EDT) > > > Well, Mono Puff only has one CD now. It is from the Hello CD of > the Month Club, and it has five songs on it. It is totally cool! There > are two other Mono Puff CDs coming out this year. The first will be a > full-length preview disc from The Hello Club. This CD will be autographed > by John Flansburgh. The second CD is called "Unsupervised", which happens > to be the name of the best song from the first Hello release of Mono Puff. > "Unsupervised" will be available in stores in mid-summer. I dunno, Unsupervised is cool, but how about tht rockin song Nixon's the One? > John Linnell does not seem to have another band, but has engaged in > a few solo projects. He has done two Hello releases: the first being > "State Songs", and the second being, "House of Mayors", which will be > released later this year, maybe around the time when the new TMBG CD comes > out. "State Songs" is a five song release which sings the non-praises of > South Carolina, Oregon, Maine, and Nevada, and sings the praises of > Pennsylvania. An unreleased track called "The Theme to the Songs of the > Fifty States" cleverly introduces these. It may or may not become released > on CD. "House of Mayors", which I have not yet heard, "incorporates songs > written about New York City Mayors and songs written by New York City > Mayors." > Hmm I thought it was the governors of NY but I must be wrong ;) I talked to the TMBG manager and he told me that the 50 states wre done, so hopefully we will see all of those songs (waitin for Maryland!) > > This all explains the reason why it has taken an extra half year > for TMBG to come out with new music. They haven't become lazy. They have > simply exploded with creativity. I hope they keep up all of their > projects. Well if you think about it, they come out with an album every 2 years so they are right on track! And if all goes well we'll see an album in the Fall. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 16:35:36 -0400 Subject: Re: John L. >I would like to remind you all that John Linnell _IS_ his own band! He >can do it all! Unlike Flans, who totally sucks. And may I remind _you_ that, from what I've heard, without Flans' encouragement, we may very likely have never even had a chance to hear Linnell's work :P Kay, who's gonna explode if she hears any more groundless Flans-bashing ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 16:44:14 -0400 Subject: Goin' away Hey Everybody, I'm going away for the weekend so don't think you've gotten rid of me! :) (the only thing I'm dreading is the hour or two it's gonna take to read my mail when I get back) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Tour Dates & Albums Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 17:02:27 -0400 (EDT) I just got off the phone with management. Here's the scoop. Monopuff, in stores June 11. Called, "Unsupervised", on Rykodisk (http://www.rykodisk.com/), the first single is "The Devil Went Down To Newport". Monopuff will be on tour: June 24 Providence June 25 Boston June 26 Philladelpha June 27 Washington DC June 28-29 New York With more dates in August. They Might Be Giants: Aug 16 Washington DC Aug 17 PointFest in St. Louis A new TMBG album will be released at the end of september, it is _NOT_ Superfueled Freaksickle, which has been postponed until after the first of the year. They are spening time in the studio right now. Also, the management wanted to give a big thank you to all the fans listening to Q101 in Chicago. Apparently "Spiralling Shape" from the Kids in the Hall soundtrack has won some call in thing 18 days in a row now! Keep up the good work! I hope to get all of this up on the web page real soon now! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Fri, 24 May 96 17:12:59 -0400 Subject: FLANS! Flans rocks man! TMBG are like the beatles! Apart they are OK still. But together they are TOTALLY awesome! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 17:03:43 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Re: John L. Ryan Staib wrote: > I would like to remind you all that John Linnell _IS_ his own band! He > can do it all! Unlike Flans, who totally sucks. (Raise shields... > trolling for flames...) FLANS DOES NOT SUCK! i think that on a personal level, flans is such a nice guy! musically, he's inventive and comedically he's a god! i've had the occasion to meet flans after 2 shows and he was awesome..."hi how ya doing?...." etc, etc! he really chatted with us all, signed things, cracked jokes, acted like a really cool guy! JOHN L. on the otherhand is rarely cool to the fans...it's like we're a bother! musically he's a master! i love tmbg and they wouldn't be anything w/o either john, but why does john l. have to be such a jerk to calm, nice, friendly fans? (this has happened to me twice and it happened last weekend to bob palindrome bob at the ohio shows!) i could see if the fans were going nuts or being rude or something along these lines but they weren't! > Also, why did it say that JF's recording > experience started in 1987? > RS this puzzles me to...i thought at first that he was refering to the tmbg album...but that was 1986??????????? dazed and confused not just another john ---- | ^ | | ---- | | | | |\ | | -- | --- | \ | |___ | | | | | \| | | |__ | | | | ___| 4-ever! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 19:14:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: John L. > > JOHN L. on the otherhand is rarely cool to the fans...it's like we're a > bother! musically he's a master! i love tmbg and they wouldn't be > anything w/o either john, but why does john l. have to be such a jerk to > calm, nice, friendly fans? (this has happened to me twice and it > happened last weekend to bob palindrome bob at the ohio shows!) i could > see if the fans were going nuts or being rude or something along these > lines but they weren't! I can't blame Linnell one bit. I've seen the Johns about ten times, and would have to say that an audience full of assholes is the rule, not the exception. At one show I went to (at Irving Plaza, I think...) Flans had to cross in front of the stage to get to the backstage area. He was practically manhandled as he passed. This combined with the incessant slamming and surfing that seems to be a part of every TMBG show these days makes it easy to see how a performer like Linnell can become hardened, even at the rare civil shows. Besides, the guy plays music for a living, which doesn't include chatting with the crowd afterwards. If you were living on the road, is that what you would want to be doing at 2:00 AM? I think that I would want to be as far away from the audience as possible. Basically comes down to the fact that TMBG are simply too popular to be easily accessible. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 16:21:49 -0700 From: rclark@nccn.net (Ryan Clark) Subject: Newsletter I signed up to the nesletter (TMBG Info Club) a few months ago which I assume will get the newsletter sent to me. Have any of you got a newsletter recently?...because I haven't received anything from them yet. Hmm...well I guess that's it. Have a Nice Day, Ryan Clark rclark@nccn.net rclark@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 18:49:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: food for thought On Fri, 24 May 1996, Liam Singer wrote: > I was in the music store yesterday, and I found a book with musicians and > their recepies. I looked up TMBG, and they were in there! The recepie > was "Flansburg's french toast", and Flansy says that it is responsible for > twenty percent of his current body weight. Some nifty pictures in there, > if you can check it out... kinda vague there... *the* music store? which one? *a* book? which one? it'd be nifty if we oculd check it out... > > It was my 15'th birthday on the twenty-first, so I've got lots 'o money. > I'm thinking of getting the four-year package of the Hello club. Is it > worth it? > > > *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Web Site Experiment Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 20:13:49 -0400 (EDT) I have an experiment going on the web site. Those of you with the latest and greatest beta web browsers will probably notice it really quick, the rest of you shouldn't notice anything different (I hope!). Anyway, if you have the latest and greatest let me know what you think, and if you don't have the latest and greatest but things look screwed up let me know so I can rethink this. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 22:29:16 From: Chipko@gnn.com (Andrew McAninch) Subject: T-Shirts I have been gone for about a month and I was wondering if anyone could give me the skinny on the T-shirt thing? Thanks ------------------------------ From: "Nicole Carlson" Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 00:14:05 +0000 Subject: Just about everything, actually > Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 04:27:26 -0400 (EDT) > From: Cuper Vargas > Subject: Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=A1Gigantes en Espa=F1ol!?= > > On Tue, 21 May 1996 klamb@ecentral.com wrote: > > > > Actually, Ellos Pueden Ser Gigantes is the translation. I made a video > for my spanish class (geez, about four years ago), and my dad, a > tri-lingual immigrant from Peru, helped me with translations. yay. I feel vindicated now. > > -Slacker Ng. > > P.S. For anyone who cares, the theme of my video was how to get Dave > Letterman kicked out of NBC (it was quite topical at the time). The > segment in question began with the two Johns playing the Statue Got Me > High (the second-best TMBG song, and one which I was lucky enough to > record from the Tonight Show) along with the narration "Replacar La Banda > Mas Peligrosa del Mundo con Ellos Pueden Ser Gigantes". The song > continued to it's completion alongside hilarious visuals from Late Night > and more stupid narrations. > My favorite part was editing in a scene from Quantum Leap to make it look > as though Sam leaped into Dave. Ahh, memories... Do you still have this? Wanna send it to whoever is making the video compilation? Please? Methinks it would be very cool to see. > > Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 11:13:25 -0400 > From: The Big Blue Dog > Subject: I hit my head > > I was sitting in the back row, and was going just to > slip out, unsupervised. I remember leaving my chair and heading for the > door, but then nothing, until the doctor, who was giving the presentation, > came into view, standing over me. I had passed out, hit my head on the door > going forward, bounced off, and then hit it again when I hit the floor. > Needless to say, I was more than a little embarassed. > > The weirdest part about the whole incident is: Yesterday was the first day > that I hadn't caught myself singing, "Unsuperivsed, I Hit My Head." > > BlueDawg, who is lucid again. But are you left handed now? (Note: the preceeding sentence was intended as a JOKE. I have decided to label all my jokes as such, because otherwise everyone thinks I'm serious.) > > From: Ruprecht76@aol.com > Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 16:41:09 -0400 > Subject: Re: Lots and lots of Misc. T alking > > In a message dated 96-05-21 23:20:12 EDT, 97starya@james.hawken.edu (Ryan > Staib) writes: > > > > > Look. I've listened (carefully and repeatedly) to the line, and > >I'm still not convinced he says 'panacea.' First of all, it says in the > >lyric sheet that it's fantasy. > > That's not true! In my lyrics sheet, and most people's lyrics sheet, that > line and many others are emitted... I too used to think it was fantasy, until > I listened very very very closely... > year books came out today and I've been writing "I wish that I could jump out > of my skin" all over the place... My cousin's yearbook has senior quotes (mine doesn't) and some random guy from her class chose: I am not allowed to think. I was, like, whoa! Instant kinship. > Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 17:38:07 -0500 > From: ultragon@salamander.com (David Skretta) > Subject: Concerts in the midwest > > Alas, though a big TMBG fan, I have never seen a live concert. When are they > ever going to come rumbling through Iowa/So. Minnesta??? Maybe at about the same time They deign to visit the West Coast. *grumble* -nicole, who can't think of anything else to say. Peace-Love-TMBG *---------------------------------------------------------- Now in three delicious flavors! Original: nnicole@hooked.net Extra Crunchy: nnicole@tmbg.org Cool Mint: ana.ng@tmbg.org "I resemble only half the things I say I don't. The other half resemble me." -- James Thurber Visit Nicolopolis! http://www.hooked.net/users/nnicole ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-146 ******************************