Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-148 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 148 Monday, 27 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Tori Amos? TMBG and Tori List down. (fwd) Hello '96 Voting Results Spiralling Shape / just checking A lurkmeister emerges. Re: A lurkmeister emerges. Re: A lurkmeister emerges. Re: A lurkmeister emerges. records Re: A lurkmeister emerges. Tour Dates concert dates bashing Re: bashing Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 07:31:59 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: Tori Amos? On Sun, 26 May 1996 tim.clark@rma.edu wrote: > >TMBG Aug 16 in D.C.? Who's playing in D.C. from July 6-12? *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 12:33:35 -0400 (EDT) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: TMBG and Tori > ummmm I'm missing the problem here? hehehehehe You must be > forgetting..ITS THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!! i'm not forgetting anything. i've seen TMBG 7 times in concert and Tori only 1 time. and i'll probably be seeing TMBG at the fair in Fairfax so that will make it 8. i always thought that it would be cool to see TMBG 10 times before i get to college and technically (i could see monopuff as well) that could happen, but i'm dying to see Tori again as well. looks like i'll be spending a few nights contemplating the universe. > I'd have to say, go to the John and John show. And if you like piano > playing female vocalists, I suggest picking up either of Suddenly, > Tammy!'s albums. Tori Amos just doesn't sit very well with me... ummm. (this will sound ignorant, but then again we must be ignorant before we learn) who is Suddenly, Tammy!? and the reason i like Tori is not because she's just a piano playing female vocalist. she has this way of diving right down into my soul and helping me deal with the pain that i have and to make me feel good again. the reason i like TMBG is because they have the ability to raise me to a different level of exited joy. almost like being lifted to a higher spirtitual level of existance where only joy exists. so my love for one doesn't detract from my love of the other. i guess it's kind of like having 2 children and loving them for different (yet equal) reasons and having to choose between them. it's an incredibly difficult decision and you almost feel like your letting one down by going to see the other. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 15:58:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: List down. (fwd) Remember this very sad announcement? (below) Ben or Been (614) 823-BLUE Ben's Dial-A-Song now features "Don't Laugh (I Love You)" by Ween Listen to the whole song--it's great! ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 13:38:44 -0500 (EST) From: Leo Bicknell To: tmbg-people@ussenterprise.ufp.org Subject: List down. The machine that runs the TMBG mailing lists (and web servers) has died. Unfortunately, I'm out of town so I can't fix it. I've set it up so all the mail will be queued up on another machine here, as soon as I get back into town I'll fix everything up. Happy holidays. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 15:36:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Capstick Jennifer M Subject: Hello '96 Hi there....this is the first time i've posted to this list although i've been reading for several months now... i have a question for allthose who get the newsletter....i stilhavent'gotten this years and i've been subscribed for a long itme and i really want to get the hello '96 thing but i have no idea where to send money, or how much...cna anybody help me? thanx in advance...=] jmc615s@nic.smsu.edu jennifer@tmbg.org jcapstic@mail.win.org VoodooGal@tmbg.org <<<<>>>>>> _>><<<<>>>>>>>>> \<<<<< < >>>>>>>>> "Fantasy through the mystic ages -----------===<=<< <<<<<<<> has been a dream world of love" << @ _/ <<<<>>/ | | | Subject: Voting Results Well, the voting ended awhile ago, but since nobody voted before the deadline, votes coming in after it weren't a problem. Anyway, here are the top... 4 (*cough*) bands: 4. XTC (5 Votes) 3. Tie: The Beatles, The Smiths, Ween (6 Votes) 2. Tie: Barenaked Ladies, Simon and Garfunkel, Tori Amos (7 Votes) But, blowing them all away, with 11 votes: 1. REM A sincere thank you to the 72 people who voted. Things I would like to know: who the hell are The Smiths? And, who the hell is Enya? Thanks, RS ------------------------------ From: NyQuil80@aol.com Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 17:22:05 -0400 Subject: Spiralling Shape / just checking Just bought the Brain Candy soundtrack about a week ago and I think Spiralling shape is really cool. I've been listening to Them for over a year now and I'd have to say that this is one of Their best songs. The rest of the CD is ok. Anyway does anyone know the next time that They will be in the Chicago area? I missed them on the 18th and I can't wait for the next time They will be around here. And I just thought I'd ask this again....Does anyone on the list live in or near Springfield IL? Just checking. Aka Adam ------------------------------ From: Mooseician@aol.com Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 17:27:27 -0400 Subject: A lurkmeister emerges. Hello. I feel obligated to post after reading this list for quite some time. So here's my obligatory introductory crap: Hi. I'm Moose. My favorite obscure modern art movement is Fauvism, my favorite color is blue, and of course I think They are the best band ever to walk the earth. I was first introduced to Their coolness either the time I heard Them on Tiny Toon Adventures, or when I saw the WDTSS and Hotel Detective videos on MTV, way back in the day when I used to watch MTV. I promptly forgot about Them until several years later when I got Flood and Apollo 18 from a friend. I was instantly obsessed. I appropriated a copy of Lincoln that I had not previously known my brother had because he never listened to it and proceeded to get two other friends addicted to Them. The rest is history. I saw the '94 Wolf Trap show, which changed my life, and the Earth Day show last year, which rocked my world. My subsequent attempts to see Them have been foiled up until now: I am going to the Fairfax Fair show. My sole other claim to coolness is that I own a 3-inch They'll Need a Crane single. I congratulate anyone with a long enough attention span to read all of this. Good night. Moose, aka thatbluething@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 21:02:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Sarah Kunz Subject: Re: A lurkmeister emerges. On Sun, 26 May 1996 Mooseician@aol.com wrote: > Hello. I feel obligated to post after reading this list for quite some time. > So here's my obligatory introductory crap: Hi. I'm Moose. My favorite obscure > modern art movement is Fauvism, my favorite color is blue, and of course I Quick question: is clear a color? by definition it's the absence of color, but people aknowledge it as if they can see it and its difference from any normal color...sorry, I'm just extremely bored at the moment... > think They are the best band ever to walk the earth. I was first introduced > to Their coolness either the time I heard Them on Tiny Toon Adventures, or > when I saw the WDTSS and Hotel Detective videos on MTV, way back in the day > when I used to watch MTV. I promptly forgot about Them until several years > later when I got Flood and Apollo 18 from a friend. I was instantly obsessed. > I appropriated a copy of Lincoln that I had not previously known my brother > had because he never listened to it is> and proceeded to get two other friends addicted to Them. The rest is preach on! spread the gospel throughout the land.... > history. I saw the '94 Wolf Trap show, which changed my life, and the Earth > Day show last year, which rocked my world. drunk people behind us yelling at Natalie Merchant to get off the stage.> My really can blame the drunk guys, i mean it is Natalie Merchant...need i say more? > subsequent attempts to see Them have been foiled up until now: I am going to > the Fairfax Fair show. My sole other claim to coolness is that are you planning on taping that show? if anyone going is, please get in touch with me, i'd love to go, but, alas, i have no vehicle.. > I own a 3-inch They'll Need a Crane single. I congratulate anyone with a long > enough attention span to read all of this. Good night. > > Moose, aka thatbluething@tmbg.org > sarah chinadoll@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: A lurkmeister emerges. Date: Sun, 26 May 96 23:45:18 18000 > > Quick question: is clear a color? by definition it's the absence of > color, but people aknowledge it as if they can see it and its difference > from any normal color...sorry, I'm just extremely bored at the moment... > This is odd... I was just having that same conversation with my friends today... I was on the side that said clear was a color, but everyone else disagreed. Hmm.... -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 23:11:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: Re: A lurkmeister emerges. On Sun, 26 May 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > > > Quick question: is clear a color? by definition it's the absence of > > color, but people aknowledge it as if they can see it and its difference > > from any normal color...sorry, I'm just extremely bored at the moment... > > > > This is odd... I was just having that same conversation with > my friends today... I was on the side that said clear was a color, but > everyone else disagreed. Hmm.... Isn't white the absence of color, not clear? > > -- > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) > voting process... send designs and ideas to me! > EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting > WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html > For seeing and voting on the design submissions. > tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 00:11:28 -0400 From: seta@spectra.net (Amy ) Subject: records My mom got out this huge box of old records, and i was looking through it, and i found the original verson of Frankenstein by the Edgar Winters Group (i think that's who they are)...its pretty cool. TMBG's version is cool too. C\_/ * C\_/ * C\_/ * C\_/ Amy * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: A lurkmeister emerges. Date: Mon, 27 May 96 0:19:19 18000 > On Sun, 26 May 1996, Tom Hare wrote: > > > > > > > Quick question: is clear a color? by definition it's the absence of > > > color, but people aknowledge it as if they can see it and its difference > > > from any normal color...sorry, I'm just extremely bored at the moment... > > > > > > > This is odd... I was just having that same conversation with > > my friends today... I was on the side that said clear was a color, but > > everyone else disagreed. Hmm.... > > Isn't white the absence of color, not clear? > In physical substances, sure, but in light it would be clear I guess? ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Tour Dates Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 01:43:53 -0400 (EDT) > I just got off the phone with management. Here's the scoop. > > Monopuff, in stores June 11. Called, "Unsupervised", on > Rykodisk (http://www.rykodisk.com/), the first single is > "The Devil Went Down To Newport". > > Monopuff will be on tour: > June 24 Providence > June 25 Boston > June 26 Philladelpha > June 27 Washington DC > June 28-29 New York > > With more dates in August. > > They Might Be Giants: > Aug 16 Washington DC > Aug 17 PointFest in St. Louis Whoo hoo! TMBG continue their every-2-months-a-show thing with this August show and of course the June 7 Fairfax fair show! Yow and a Mono Puff date in between, when will it end? (never hopefully) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: NyQuil80@aol.com Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 01:49:30 -0400 Subject: concert dates wow are They really going to be in St. Louis Aug. 17? ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: bashing Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 01:54:05 -0400 (EDT) Hello, Please stop the bashing of our beloved Johns, why the heck are you on this list if you wish to bash either Flans or Linnell? The way they handle their after-concert/personal affairs is their perogative. Yes, it seems Flans may be more outgoing to the fans and there is the possibility that one may be a better singer/songwriter than the other but together they form the greatest band alive, They Might Be Giants, a band we love and enjoy. So why would you bash on em? It's like bashing on your mother, you just don't do it. Thanks, Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: NyQuil80@aol.com Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 02:03:46 -0400 Subject: Re: bashing >Please stop the bashing of our beloved Johns, why the heck are you on this list >if you wish to bash either Flans or Linnell? The way they handle their >after-concert/personal affairs is their perogative. Yes, it seems Flans >may be more outgoing to the fans and there is the possibility that one may >be a better singer/songwriter than the other but together they form the greatest >band alive, They Might Be Giants, a band we love and enjoy. So why would >you bash on em? It's like bashing on your mother, you just don't do it I totally agree. Why do people bash them for what they do after a concert? People don't understand what it's like to be on the road all time aka Adam ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-148 ******************************