Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 15 Monday, 15 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: Self Called Nowhere Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-14 more bands to check out Other Hip Music Any Hip TMBG Fan Would Like (Hip Hip) still yet one more.. a band you might like... Re: Other Hip Music Any Hip TMBG Fan Would Like (Hip Hip) Huwaaaaaaaah! Why Does the Sun Shine--Fully Operational! Re: more bands to check out Re: The bossTones, not TMBG. They-like.... Re: They-like.... Re: Self Called Nowhere Administrivia: CHANGES!!!!! The digest volume and issue numbers have been set to reflect the year and day. This year is volume 2, the issue number should match the day of the year. The ftp server has been reconfigured. Now the _only_ way to get back archives is from ftp.tmbg.org. For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 13:05:58 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Re: Self Called Nowhere On Fri, 12 Jan 1996 ryan.tinus@flipflop.org wrote: > Hi! I am somewhat new to this newsgroup and was wondering if someone would > be so kind as to explain "A Self Called Nowhere" the 14th (i think) song on > the John Henry album. I would really appreciate it! I can't remember the words or anything, but briefly speaking, I've always thought it was about being depressed. Y'know, getting that no-one cares, empty feeling hence, "A self called nowhere". Stuff like "It's a thing named Id in the bottomless pit you can't see it there" is just about how low you feel. Of course, I could be wrong. Mark ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 11:19:24 -0500 (EST) From: "Harlan L. Landes" Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-14 On Sun, 14 Jan 1996 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Ben or Been, high on a hill with a lonely goat turd. > > I've glanced through my music collection and compiled a list of music > possibilities for TMBG-Lovers. That is, if you like TMBG, you may like > some of this music. Feel free to add you two cents. > > GREAT STUFF FOR TMBG-LOVERS: > 1. Moxy Fruvous--Bargainville. Subscribe to their fan club. I just want to say that I highly recommend Moxy Fruvous to everyone.... Just wanted to stress that, becaused they are so good... -- Harlan Landes -- NEW AND IMPROVED! Check out Harlan's fabudabulous -- spike@udel.edu -- world wide web page at http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 10:30:30 -0700 From: bl702@Freenet.UCHSC.EDU (Joshua T. Raulerson) Subject: more bands to check out I've noticed a lot of discussion of Moxy Fruvous lately and agree 100% - they're a great band, who a friend of mine once described as the illegitimate children of TMBG and Barenaked Ladies, another wacky Canadian band well worth checking out. Some other artists which may be of interest to TMBG fans include Corky & the Juice Pigs, Ben Folds Five, and an obscure band from Iowa called the Fauves (my friend & I built their web page - see below!). They've only released one album so far, "Homemade Pop", but it's great! I recommend them highly - you can order their CD on the homepage (only $9, I believe). One thing has been puzzling me - I keep hearing that Pere Ubu is a good band for people who like the 'Giants. I bought their disc "Raygun Suitcase" not long ago, and while I'll verify that they're pretty cool, the connection to TMBG is lost on me... Other than a similar brand of lighthearted weirdness, I see very little resemblance to J&J's stuff. Granted, I've only heard two of their albums and I understand they've made quite a few, but I just don't see the kinship. Anybody care to enlighten me? Later, you deviants! They Might Be Josh - oh yeah, I almost forgot: Did anybody else catch the reference to TMBG on Mystery Science Theatre 3000 a few weeks ago, or am I just way behind the discussion? -- -----<[([ Josh Raulerson, King of the Little People })]>----- BL702@freenet.uchsc.edu * :)-- <-- drooling smiley The Fauves Homepage: http://www.salamander.com/~salamac/F.html "Once I was the King of Spain (now I eat humble pie)!"### ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 11:05:36 -0800 From: gregb@westworld.com (Greg Benson) Subject: Other Hip Music Any Hip TMBG Fan Would Like (Hip Hip) Along the lines of other music I would highly suggest to TMBG fans: 1. Moxy Fruvous "Bargainville" Sure, it's been mentioned already, but it's #1 to get, I think. I haven't heard "Wood", their follow-up LP, but I've heard it's much slower, not as amusing, and pretty boring in general. 2. Ween "Chocolate and Cheese" Also previously mentioned, but great. I wouldn't recommend any of their other CDs, especially the HORRIBLE "The Pod". 3. Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers "Best Of: The Beserkley Years" I can't believe no one has mentioned this bit of genius! His melodies are simple and fun, his voice is congested and bad (at best), and his lyrics are utterly hilarious. The "Best Of" CD is a great place to start (on the Rhino label), then you can check out the harder-to-find "Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers" CD (Beserkley label). I'm not a big fan of JR's first, more rockin' album "The Modern Lovers"--the band was a COMPLETELY different lineup on that one (it featured Talking Heads' Jerry Harrison). 4. Adrian Belew "Twang Bar King" (LP only), "Here", or "Young Lions". Great stuff. He plays all the instruments, writes brilliant songs, and is an amazing guitar player. "Here" is his latest (and maybe my favorite), "Twang" is his wildest, "Young Lions" is his most mainstream. 5. Skip "Skiptunes" (cassette only). This is a local guy out here in LA and probably the closest I've heard to TMBG's genius. His melodies are catchy, and his lyrics are very odd and funny. He does great harmonies too. He's one of these guys who only sells tapes by mail. "Skiptunes" is a good place to start. I highly recommend this one--send in a postcard for a catalog: Skip, PO Box 4263, Valley Village, CA 91617. Just had to put in my votes. Happy listening!!! p.s. I've heard a lot of people talk about "Dr. Spock's Backup Band," and how they all have tapes of it but no one seems to have the actual bootleg CD. Is the CD just a rumor? Or has anyone actually ever seen this elusive CD? Seems to me this might just be a bootleg tape floating around... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 14:46:05 -0500 Subject: still yet one more.. From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) for those of you who enjoy the cool sax sounds of Them, you ought to check out morphine... they're basically a band consisting of a baritone sax and and a tenor sax and a 3 string bass.. it's cool as mud.. (yes again, that's good) -- :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 96 14:57:18 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (jenn) Subject: a band you might like... i don't think anyone has mentioned Young Fresh Fellows as a good band to listen to, so i'm suggesting them. that's right, Young Fresh Fellows as in the band mentioned in Twisting... jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com 'i should be allowed to blurt the merest idea if by random whim one occurs to me' -- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 15:24:04 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Other Hip Music Any Hip TMBG Fan Would Like (Hip Hip) >p.s. I've heard a lot of people talk about "Dr. Spock's Backup Band," and >how they all have tapes of it but no one seems to have the actual bootleg >CD. Is the CD just a rumor? Or has anyone actually ever seen this elusive >CD? Seems to me this might just be a bootleg tape floating around... I have not seen the CD, but this is the information about it from John Relph's discography: > >Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . bootleg 1993 > > Recorded live in Chicago, 6/27/92. > > CD: 1993 DE? Blue Knight BKR 22 > So there's part of your answer. It's a German release, and is probably hard to get even in that country because it's a bootleg. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+------+------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ | Bozosity abounds. -Kibo | +-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 19:59:38 -0500 (EST) From: Paul Sebold Subject: Huwaaaaaaaah! hey, there's this radio station in Pittsburg, which calls itself the "New Rock REvolution" (104.7) that claims to play the "best variety of modern rock", and it's shamelessly using a clip from "Spider" as a big part of their on-air identification. I beleive the sound clip is the distinctive groan (huwaaaaah) that is repeated all through the song. The real injustice here is the fact that this station is too ignorant to play any TMBG song's: even when requested, whereas, plenty of other mr stations will. I'm not sure if this is a big deal, or if I should even be thinking about this, but it does seem a tad hypocritical, and I had nothing better to talk about. SOn of gOD (paul) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 20:16:33 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Why Does the Sun Shine--Fully Operational! Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-2583 Now has the original 1959 version of "Why Does the Sun Shine" *fer sher*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call after 11pm for cheapest long distance rates, but please don't call at an indecent hour! It'll be on until about Wednesday, maybe later. Remember, take after Mr. Dusich, "Free if you call from work!" Spreading the TMBG-flava, Ben or Been Check out the Structural Differential ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 17:21:19 -0800 From: alveajo@ix.netcom.com (Jose Alvear) Subject: Re: more bands to check out You wrote: > > Later, you deviants! > They Might Be Josh > >- oh yeah, I almost forgot: Did anybody else catch the reference to TMBG on > Mystery Science Theatre 3000 a few weeks ago, or am I just way behind the > discussion? Heyyy... What reference was that? I've been waiting and waiting for there to be some sort of reference on MST3K (I love that show) and have never heard one. Can you tell me what show or movie it was? Thankssss Jose (me) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 00:51:08 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: The bossTones, not TMBG. The 'Tones call their style "ska-core," as in a metal sounding ska. So everybody's right. lebo ------------------------------ From: Adam Kincaid Subject: They-like.... Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 23:31:35 -0600 I dont know if anybody can emphasize enough how great moxy fruvous, the = bare-naked ladies, or Ween (in Chocolate and Cheese or Pure Guava at = least) is! Speaking of Bare-naked Ladies, did you know that hello city was taken = from teh Housemartins song Happy Hour? Or that the Paul and Dave from = the Housemartins now are in the awesome band the Beautiful South. Both = are great!=20 Other They-like: The Dead Milkmen have the lyrics. (influenced by XTC = and the Butthole Surfers) try XTC english settlement of course and for just good music the smiths, Phish, Men at Work, the Psychedelic = Furs, the Rednex. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 00:23:16 -0600 (CST) From: Silly Rabbit Subject: Re: They-like.... Another nif-tee band that sounds kind of they-ish (if you squint) is=20 Southern Culture on the Skids. They have a song called "Too Much Pork=20 (For Just One Fork)." That about sums them up. Also, at the radio=20 station I work at, they have these labels stuck to most of the CD's where= =20 people can write comments on them. Ones that I remember seeing comments=20 linking the band to TMBG are: The Dentists Soul Coughing Skankin' Pickle That's about it. I'll look for more when I start my show up again this=20 semester. I know they have the 12" promotional single of Ana Ng=20 at the station too...=CF'm thinking of bribing the station manager for it. -Jenny, who's already suffering from burnout, and the semester hasn't=20 even started. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 00:44:07 -0700 From: Daniel Preece Organization: Brigham Young University Subject: Re: Self Called Nowhere Mark M. Iles wrote: > > On Fri, 12 Jan 1996 ryan.tinus@flipflop.org wrote: > > > Hi! I am somewhat new to this newsgroup and was wondering if someone would > > be so kind as to explain "A Self Called Nowhere" the 14th (i think) song on > > the John Henry album. I would really appreciate it! > > I can't remember the words or anything, but briefly speaking, I've always > thought it was about being depressed. Y'know, getting that no-one cares, > empty feeling hence, "A self called nowhere". Stuff like "It's a thing > named Id in the bottomless pit you can't see it there" is just about how > low you feel. Of course, I could be wrong. > > Mark I see the song as being about the dream state. It's one of my favorite songs on there so I have thought alot about it's meaning. The first verse resembles the kind of confusion that is often found in a dream. He is all alone. No one is around. I can really picture this in a dream. And then he jumps to thinking of a wooden chair in a room at the top of a stair. This room doesn't sound like any thing that I have ever experienced but I can see it in a dream. Then he looks down the stairwell which happens to come from "a" stair as stated before. It's like walking up a stair into a room then turning around and seeing a whole flight of stairs leading down into the ground. He looks down the stairwell at the vanashing dot that is the map of the spot. This is very vague, another sign of a dream. Also I see this as maybe the imagination. Something that is here but is not tangable. And with our imaginations we take our readers, listeners or whatever to where we are as seen in the nextline that states "Let me take you there." Then there is the main chorus that is what makes me believe all this even more. The song says: "the dotted line, surrounding the mind of a self called nowhere" I would like to propose that "a self called nowhere" is either the dream state or the part of us where our ideas come from. Where Edison got all the ideas for all his inventions. Where Einstien concieved of the theory of reletivity. Where great authors come up with there books. Where They Might Be Giants comes up with the lyrics that we all love. If we think about it those ideas come from a part of us but where exactly do they come from. How do they get into our heads. It is truly a self called nowhere. The reference to the dotted line gives me a picture of a dotted line around a head where someone is going to make an incision to study the brain. That is what some people would do to find this self called nowhere. The next line : "it's a thing named 'it' in a bottemless pit you can't see it there." This self called nowhere doesn't have a definition. It is what makes each of us. We can't really name it because it is different for all of us. It's like trying to describe a feeling to someone who has no idea what that feeling is like and has never had that feeling before. It's hard to find the words. The bottemless pit is the fact that there is no limit to this self called nowhere. Just when we think that no one can invent anything new, millions of new inventions come in. The last line of the Chorus : "the sunken head that lies in the bed of a self called nowhere." I see this as dreaming because of the references to the sunken head lying in bed. The second verse has even more chaos than that of the first. They are tearing down their garage to make room for the torn down garage? Tell me if that's not something characteristic of a dream. Doing something for a totally illogical reason. Another thing about that last verse is that it comes full circle with the first. In the first he was at the store looking at organs. In the second he has the electric organ. In the first he was waiting for a ride. Why? Because as we found out in the second verse, he sold his car to buy the elaectric organ. Well anyway, this is what I think "A Self Called Nowhere" is about. Daniel Preece ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-15 *****************************