Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-152 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 152 Friday, 31 May 1996 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-150 Re: T-Shirts My Detachable King Missile Monopuffologue and Shapes That Spiral omelette Monopuff on Berlin-Radio Re: Why not talk Realtime (IRC)? Re: King M. //John S. Hall MONO-PUFF QUESTION??? Re: Tori Amos!! Sam and Randy are dead Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 30 May 96 07:46:23 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #2-150 --- It was written: >> I am still planning on getting the shirts made if a design is finalized. >> Tom? Any designs get voted on yet? >> >> Mike >> If you are interested, respond to Hotel_Detective@tmbg.org >> > > Well.... the only design which was able to be voted on was my >own.... and it received all good and "loved it" votes, except for two >"so-so" or "don't like it" votes. But 2 out of 25 or so isn't bad. >So I guess people like it. > My apologies to people who did send designs.... but I'm afraid >I can't spend the time to fill in where you had "Put really kewl image >here" or "put nifty slogan here"... that was why I asked YOU to >design it, for YOUR ideas... Again, sorry, I'm not trying to be a >bitch about it. > Sooooo.. . . . unless another conflicting (completed!) design >gets submitted. . . .The one I have is final. > In review, it looks like so: > > Front: > > I took off the intellectuals. . . > > (Lady on phone) > (Corny 50's pic) > > And put on There May Be Giants. Could someone explain the phrase "I took off the intellectuals... And put on There May be Giants." to me? I don't get this. Is it supposed to be funny or mean something? Sorry but it doesn't make any sense. Sorry to be a pain, --- end of quoted material --- It's just a part of track 13 on Mis. T I guess you haven't heard it but it's funny. ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: T-Shirts Date: Thu, 30 May 96 8:42:44 18000 > > I suggest the following changes: > > Make it like a real ticket, date/time/location/seats/etc > > Date: 24/7 365 days/yr (or something like that) > Time: Whenever you're online > Location: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org > Cost: Free when you net from work (stolen from SOMEBODY on the > list, but whoever it is, take credit.) > Seats: Row 1, Seat 1 (we're always right ther, right?) > Hmm.. . . The reason I put the date/time they way it was, was because the ticket would look cluttered and off-center any other way I could imagine it... and the 25 Hours a day, 6 days a week is a specific TMBG quote, and I don't think it hinders the mesasage any. Besides, if any uneducated peoples ask you "Why only 6 days a week" then you can take the opportunity to explain all the lovely things of TMBG to them. The location has two addresses because Jonathan Chaffer (I believe, a TMBG.ORG site man) requested having the web page on the design. Cost, I got. Seats... seats... there never seemed to be a need for that line... It seemed kinda redundant and unnecessary. FOR EVERYONE'S INFORMATION. OUT OF 54 total votes, I got: 3 Hate it (2 Front, 1 Back) 3 Don't like it (2 Front, 1 Back) 10 So-so (6 Front, 4 Back) 12 Like it (5 Front, 7 Back) 26 Love it (12 Front, 14 Back) *---------------------------------------- 54 Total 27 27 So more than half the people either like it or love it. I guess it's sufficient. > > I'll try and get a draft in a day or 2 > Okay. We'll see how it looks... > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, > over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a > check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission > over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- > -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- > > LOVE the signature. -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 09:56:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: My Detachable King Missile Monopuffologue and Shapes That Spiral Ben or Been here. Ironic that some of you speak of King Missile, because today in class I will do the song "Detachable Penis" from the album _Happy Hour_ as an audition monologue in my acting class. "I woke up this morning with a bad hangover and my penis was missing again. This happens to me all the time--it's detachable." Also, guys, I got the _Brain Candy_ soundtrack yesterday (finally). It's a pretty cool soundtrack to my ear (Cibo Matto *rocks my influenza* "I don't give a flying f*ck about...") (Liz Phair is too, too whipsmart (sexxy) talking 'bout those fancy penises--awesome). [Sounds as if I have a penis theme goin', huh?!] Now, I had heard on the live Rochester concert tape a live version of "Spiralling Shape," and I have to admit that from that recording, what I could hear of it didn't float my battleship. Then, I listened to the formal recording of it, and I'm surprised kinda that people rank it among the best TMBG songs! Nothing against them, but I don't see why--"Spiralling Shape" doesn't have the same jazz-pump-chutzpah as other classic TMBG numbers *to me*. (Well, then again, I think "Stomp Box" is *really cool*, and I understand there's a crowd who ranks that amongst the worst TMBG songs.) Anyway. "25 O'Clock" is better (I think). Not angry at any Digesters, Ben or Been Ben's Dial-A-Song (614) 823-BLUE is in its last week for the school year!!! Now featuring, um, lemme remember, OH YEAH! "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head" (minus the very quiet first few seconds) by Mono Puff A great preview to the June 11th release!!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 12:37:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Groove Child Subject: omelette Hey Tom Hare, or someone else, I need the Omelette page address, I want to look at the shirt idea and I lost the address. Thanks! I would appreciate it ASAP. *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Nola H. Weaver, Groove Child-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- Why the dancing, shouting? Why the shrieks of pain? nola@tmbg.org The lovely music groovechild@tmbg.org Why the smell of burning autumn leaves? ---TMBG ***************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: DMDIEDA@aol.com Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 14:58:12 -0400 Subject: Monopuff on Berlin-Radio Hi everyone, i'm not new to the list but this is the first time i'm writing. I was reading about Monopuff and the new record coming in June. I was wondering, if it could be available in Germany too (regular, not as import), but wasn't very confident. But today something amazing happened: I came home from work, turned on the radio, and listened to a Song from the new Monopuff-album. Of course i didn't realise, until the DJ said, that it was... He also said it was a cover song, but i don't remember which one. The refrain was something like:"hello, hello, it's good to be back...". Also he said that he will play more "of this beautiful record" (he really said this!) later. I think it's really fascinating, to hear the song on the radio, far away in Germany, while you are waiting for the mail... I'm sorry, but perhaps this is a small compromise, for They are not touring very often in Europe. By the way, when i bought Flood on Vinyl in 1990, there was a lyric sheet with the german lyrics on it coming with the record. If someone is interested, i'll copy it and send it, but it may take a while, as i don't have too much time...Just send me a mail, if you are patient... Bye for now Dieter P.S.:They might be Giants in german is (according to the lyrics sheet): Sie koennten Riesen sein. (Sie koennten einen Weizenhalm roesten) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 15:09:51 -0400 From: MDM Subject: Re: Why not talk Realtime (IRC)? >>> On Tue, 28 May 1996, Chriss Bliss wrote: >>> >>> > Hi, >>> > I guess that this is a silly question. But why don't we all get >>> > together and talk in realtime using Internet Relay Chat (IRC). All >>> > the software can be found on the net, just download it and /join >>> > #TMBG. We will have to deside on a time to meet (in GMT as well as >>> > EST). > >>> They do, its at 21:00 est on Wednesdays(?) on Efnet (I think but it may >be >>> Undernet I'm not sure). >>> > >Great! But what time is that in GMT for the benefit of us UK TMBG fans? >There is a registered IRC channel on the Undernet, I visited it last night >at 11:00 GMT and there were 2 people there. > > Chriss @:-) > (bliss@dial.pipex.com) > When everyonbe meets is Wed nights on efnet. #TMBG on undernet is regisetered by me, and i'm there whenever i'm on. I Run 2 bots, Flansbot (www.vivanet.com/~metrasm/tirc.html) and Linnell which links (via dde) #tmbg on Undernet, to efnet and eicn (and soon dalnet). I Run that link whenever possible (whenever i have the ram) :) -MDM *----------------------------------------------------------------------- -Matt Metras metrasm@vivanet.com http://www.vivanet.com/~metrasm mdm9819@vivanet.com MDM on undernet and EICN mdm@tmbg.org Closing Link: MDM[metrasm@206.25.250.132] dinnerbell@tmbg.org (K-lined) *-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 15:07:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: King M. //John S. Hall Hey everyone, Alas, King Missile is no more. But, If you're lucky you can still catch John S. Hall live by himself doing spoken word. He does some of the KM stuff and also a bunch of newer stuff. He has a book out now also with most of his best stuff in it. I don't know where you can get it except directly from him.I must say, if you ever get the chance, definitely go to see him. I saw King Missile at an outdoor show once, and John by himself twice at Drew University in Madison, NJ, and he is one of the coolest and funniest guys alive. Take it easy, Wubba ==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==!==hey! "We love jokes in bad taste. ;Eric Webber They make us feel better about ourselves" ;erwst9+@pitt.edu -Conan O'Brien "We intend to offend and alarm and annoy" -The Penis Wolves On Thu, 30 May 1996, Filthy scarecrow wrote: > > > On Wed, 29 May 1996, Matthew James wrote: > > > Heyas, > > As some spoke of King Missile on this list, I decided to check out one of > > their older albums, so I got this album called Mystical S**t (which turned out > > to be two albums in one Mystical S**t and Fluting on the Hump from 1990 and 1987 respectively) > > and it turned out to be 26 songs for $7! Well they have some darn funny songs on there, > > Cheesecake Truck, The Sandbox, Jesus Was Way Cool, Gary & Melissa, all wacky! > > Yes yes yes King Missile, amazing! 1991's The Way To Salvation > is what I call an essential rock album. Thanks Matt for giving them a > shot. I'm lucky enough to correspond with KM vocalist/songwriter John S. > Hall, one really nice guy. They are no more, sadly, but get their albums, > TMBG fans should love them. > > Mike > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 10:59:23 +1100 From: fass256@ariel.macarthur.uws.EDU.AU (joe giunta) Subject: MONO-PUFF QUESTION??? Hello everyone, Just a quick question: I haven't kept up with the list for a few days, could someone tell me about Mono-Puff ? Does it have to do with the TMBG news letter ? thanking you.... ................ ...........JOE !! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 01:48:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Cuper Vargas Subject: Re: Tori Amos!! > Alright, i can see that no one else is going to set this straght for me, > so I will. Comparing Tori to suddenly tammy simply because they're both > femal and play the piano is like comparing Flansburgh to marilyn manson > because they're both men who play guitar. It just doens't work. All right, I'll admit that the fact that both Tori Amos and Beth Serrentino sing and play the piano doesn't make them the same. After all, I do like one and not the other. However, I can't deny that there are obvious similarities. I mean, if someone told me they liked the Bosstones, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest Spring Heeled Jack or the Pietasters. I was just trying to spread the word about an under-appreciated band. It's just that when Tori Amos is mentioned, I get a little hostile (my younger brother used to play her records non-stop. Yeesh!) -Slacker Ng. P.S. To whoever asked, Suddenly, Tammy! is a three-piece (piano, bass, drums) band from Boston. In my opinion, they're not the best band in the world, but definitely worth checking out. (I certainly like them better than T.A.) They have two albums (one self-titled, the other called "We Get There When We Do"), and since they are signed to Warner Bros., the discs shouldn't be too hard to find. P.P.S. My apologies for the lack of Giants related info here. But, since I'm off the topic anyway, does anyone have any idea what Brian Dewan is up to these days? His album was incredible, but the last time I heard anything was the '94 Hello CLub offering. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 02:34:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Sam and Randy are dead Well, it's official. Atomic teens Sam and Randy have blown themselves straight to hell. So they won't be making any more appearances here. Besides, their connection to TMBG was tenuous at best. However, I have a lot of other odd books in my collection and this is why I now begin the ongoing series I like to call: Weird Literary Finds. This is part one. It comes from the book "Boy George and Culture Club" (1984) by no credited author.(!) Here now is: THE BOY GEORGE FILE: Full name: George Alan O'Dowd Date of birth: June 14, 1961 Height: 5 feet 11 inches Weight: 154 pounds Family's home: Woolwich, south-east London George's address: No fixed abode. He is always moving around. School: Eltham Green, London Exams passed: None. First public performance: Bow Wow Wow show at the London Rainbow, 1981 Early influence: David Bowie First Culture Club performance: Crocs, Rayleigh, Essex, October 1981 First single released: White Bay May 21, 1982 Favourite food: Japanese and Indian Favourite drink: Water, pernod and blackcurrent Likes: Being in love Hates: Rock journalists, crowds Personal influence: Jon Moss, Culture Club's drummer Favourite colour: George likes every colour. Favourite groups: Madness, Musical Youth Favourite singers: Ella Fitzgerald, Dolly Parton, Cliff Richard, Michael Jackson, Gladys Knight, Tom Jones Favourite books: Ten Little Niggers, The Hobbit, Alice In Wonderland Favourite records: Melting Pot...Blue Mink Not Unusual...Tom Jones 24 Hours From Tulsa...Gene Pitney Jolene...Dolly Parton The Way We Were...Gladys Knight and the Pips Favourite films: Quest For Fire, The Sound Of Music, Great Expectations, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, 101 Dalmations Ideal night out: Relaxing in a good restaurant with close friends; sucking some guy's cock. And if some of you out there of the younger set don't know who Culture Club is, then I must be really old. Next time: something different. Mike ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-152 ******************************