Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-154 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 154 Sunday, 2 June 1996 Today's Topics: MTV Re: MTV Re: MTV MTV TMBG in St. Louis Re: MTV a slow weekend The force whoohoo Re: whoohoo Re: whoohoo Come on! in response to IRC debates and bemoans.. Telnet thing.... RE: Telnet thing.... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 01 Jun 96 09:29:04 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: MTV Well people, I have already gotten through three times today. So keep it up. CALL CALL CALL! Rob ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 09:43:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Are you a fox or a hedgehog? Subject: Re: MTV On 1 Jun 1996, Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: > Well people, I have already gotten through three times today. So keep it up. > CALL CALL CALL! agggh. I know this has been posted fifty times already, but what video and whats the number? Sorry about this Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org http://www.afn.org/~afn37647/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 09:24:48 -0500 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Re: MTV At 09:43 AM 6/1/96 -0400, you wrote: >On 1 Jun 1996, Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: > >> Well people, I have already gotten through three times today. So keep it= up. >> CALL CALL CALL! > >agggh. I know this has been posted fifty times already, but what video and >whats the number? Sorry about this Birdhouse in Your Sould and the #'s 1-800-DIAL-MTV hope this helps.... oh, btw.. it's my b-day so it would be cool if they played it, but i just lost cable yesterday so i'm out of luck... someone should tape it. bbk=A1 BR&H&M KETCH&M | "I'm standing in my yard, where they tore \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\| down the garage to make room for the torn hexagon@salamander.com | down garage." www.salamander.com/~hexagon | - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sat, 01 Jun 96 13:42:47 -0400 Subject: MTV We're doing the MTV thing TODAY?!?!?!?! ARGH!!! this wasn't well said! people should have said this yesterday! ARGH! Oh well I'll go call! Do they even HAVE it today? Lemme go look! Ok! We want Top 20 countdown right? thats not even on today. well its on at 12 a.m. but that must be from friday! We dont want most wanted jams right? Thats for cRAP right? Oh well CALL NOW anyway! The better chance we have of getting it on ------------------------------ From: NyQuil82@aol.com Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 13:53:46 -0400 Subject: TMBG in St. Louis Does anyone have the info. on the concert in St. Louis? Will They be playing with a bunch of other bands? and what is Pointfest? ------------------------------ Date: 01 Jun 96 16:21:47 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: MTV We are calling today so they can process the results for monday. It'll be on at 7:30 eastern time on monday. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 19:15:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: a slow weekend There's not as many posts on the weekend as there are during the week, I have noticed...so I decided to post a message listing all the official TMBG items I have, for some reason I cannot fathom. A couple of other people did it, so I guess I should too. Debut album: Vinyl (sealed) Lincoln: CD Flood: CD, vinyl Apollo 18: CD John Henry: CD The Guitar CD I Palindrome I CD Why Does The Sun Shine CD Back To Skull CD Statue Got Me High cassette single Istanbul cassette single O Tannenbaum/Christmas Cards 7 inch The Videos 1986-1989 laserdisc Other cool items: Flans-autographed TMBG picture Tickets from the shows I've been to: 04/92, 10/94, 2/96, 4/96. A purple guitar pick I found at RIT, could it be Flans'? Stickers (3 types) Newsletters since 1992 ('cept I haven't gotten one since fall '94) 4 shirts: Worker Johns (signed by Flans), Apollo 18, Drunk Bird, Pearl I guess that's it. I won't even get into the boots. Mike I just got a few Star Wars toys at a garage sale today: 3 action figures, a small landspeeder (not too small, no passengers or windshield), a huge Boba Fett doll, moveable parts, I don't know what's missing, and a large X-wing, missing one wing, no cover for cockpit, no laser cannons on wings but wings open and lock, and button on back makes a cool sound and a light turns on on the nose of the ship. I know these things are damaged but I couldn't help myself. Total cost: $1.50 Canadian. I know, I'm almost 23 but I grew up with this stuff. :-) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 19:42:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: The force I'm looking at my toy X-wing and I'm trying to use the force, which is between me, that tree, and that rock, to raise it from my bed. But it is too small, I can't do it, I just can't... *sniff* Ah, screw it. Mike. ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 20:03:43 -0400 Subject: whoohoo as it now seems to be okay to send useless messages, I'm gonna too... Anybody ever wonder what happened to "Brother John Blackhawk"? (hahahaha) I'm govin' to the Flesh Fest Ain't bringing any clothes Goin' to the Flest Fest Ain't bringing any clothes The Flesh Fest is in Oklahoma What rhymes with Oklahoma? something something something... okay I admit it broke up around there... Remember: Flood is cursed! I really need to give the caffeine a break... trying to leave you alone... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 20:21:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: whoohoo On Sat, 1 Jun 1996 Ruprecht76@aol.com wrote: > as it now seems to be okay to send useless messages, I'm gonna too... wait a minute, wait a minute, as it NOW seems okay to send useless messages? Just what the hell do you think I've been doing for the past few months? I mean, Sam and Randy? I'm the KING of useless messages! And there's more to come. Mike ------------------------------ From: TJami15126@aol.com Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 22:39:29 -0400 Subject: Re: whoohoo In a message dated 96-06-01 20:23:53 EDT, you write: >tmbg-list@tmbg.org Useless messages.... I can do THAT... I'm the prince of paltry, duke of dumbfounding, earl of errata, minister of the miniscule and potentate of the pretentious. In other words, I suck. So... If the Yugo was named for the country where it's made, (Yugoslavia), what are Brazilian cars called? And how do you get into them, give them a few drinks first and reach around the back? Gotta go, the dog's caught in the toilet again. Tim ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 22:42:57 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Come on! How come there's never anybody in tmbg IRC chat? Come in! That beatles room is no fun! a spooky man named me.... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 22:09:44 -0600 (CST) From: "Francesca Parker" Subject: in response to IRC debates and bemoans.. heya, all you mouseketeers and pre-revolutionaries... haven't posted in quite a little while, but I've been hanging on by my toenails. I'm going to ride the line between helpful and sleazy here, and do a little song and dance advertisement for y'all. the IRC chats have been hard to arrange (between finding out how to run software and places and good times, etc.), true? well, as a possible solution, I'm going to suggest a talker which is based on a 'netzine I co-edit (Utopia Parkway), to which a number of tmbg-list people are subscribed (back me up here, if you so choose), and which has historically had a definite interest in tmbg and its close relatives - - consequently, there's a tmbg shrine as one of the talker's rooms. okay - quick back-up: what's a talker? it's sort of like a MUD, in the sense that it's a *space*, with rooms and movement and interrelations, with the one difference that it's not a game, there's no objective, it's just talking; it has an IRC-esque quality to it, in that you need commands to talk, react, etc. however, it's Painfully Easy to Learn - to talk, you just type and press enter....to figure out the rest, type .help general. type .map to figure out where the tmbg shrine lurks.... (if you write to the UP address, kmpicker@midway.uchicago.edu, we can furnish a more complete tutorial) how do you get there? find the telnet function on your system, and telnet blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 (again, more complete help, write us) I know this won't completely solve the IRC-related problems - people still have to figure out how to do it, and times still have to be arranged. BUT, people tend to just hang out on talkers - for awhile it was not uncommon to find part of the tmbg-list/UP crowd in the tmbg room - which means that a) you won't get bored while you're waiting and b) people are more likely to just be there, hanging out, wanting to do the tmbg-thang if any number of us get into it. i.e. you won't necessarily have to hyper-plan meetings. and, whoever it was who kept wanting to just "talk to whoever" at 1 in the morning - this is perfect. sooo...I just throw this out there as an alternate possibility, because I think it has the potential to be a pretty good solution - it's a neat medium, and we included the shrine in the hopes that it could become a meeting-ground for list/newsfroup/subscriber-type people. sorry for the length - hope I'll see some of you around! franny. (Dali on the talker) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 23:26:28 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Telnet thing.... what do I (and everybody else) enter as a new user on this telnet thing? EH?!! ...at least I figured out to access it through netscape... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 22:47:33 -0600 (CST) From: "Francesca Parker" Subject: RE: Telnet thing.... > what do I (and everybody else) enter as a new user on this telnet thing? > EH?!! ...at least I figured out to access it through netscape... hurray! you just login with whatever name you want - after you've typed in a password, the system will recognize that you're a new user, and ask you to re-enter your password to verify it. like IRC, etc., most people choose a different name from their real name or login name - for example, mine's Dali, the guy who wrote the talker is Phishy...other examples are Denizen, Loki, Whiterabbit, Mad..... while we're on the subject - each name is followed by a description - until you enter one, it'll be "- a new user." the description appears if someone .examines you, or types ".who" to find out who's on the system. to enter a description, type .desc . for example, if I typed .desc lama my name would read Dali lama the next time someone checked .who. and another quick important note - you'll notice a lot of seemingly misplaced periods up there - a period before a word indicates to the system that it's a command and not just you talking, and is therefore Very Important if you want the command to work. just a general note. another quick note - I didn't want to take up more room than necessary since this is only tangentially on topic for the list - but if people *are* interested in having me post a more extensive little tutorial about "what to learn first," I can. see you soon! franny. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-154 ******************************