Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-155 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 155 Monday, 3 June 1996 Today's Topics: re: TMBG in St. Louis Re: in response to IRC debates and bemoans.. Chatting Re: still not working... Telnet thing.... Re: Come on! telnet thing... Re: Come on! schpidah! Almost there with Telenet Re: Almost there with Telenet telnet thing... Re: telnet thing... Telenet thing T.V. Arrrgggghhh, service not available? Re: whoohoo Re: whoohoo mtv Re: TMBG in St. Louis John S. Hall Talk to us in real time right now Pointfest in general... some more answers (hopefully :) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 09:27:14 -0500 From: ultragon@salamander.com (David Skretta) Subject: re: TMBG in St. Louis Unfortunately no. I live too far away. However I do have tickets to Lalapalooza in Des Moines for July 13. That should rule. 7 Mary 3 and Smashing Pumpkins will be there. Too bad TMBG isn't *************************************************************************** * David Skretta -ultragon@salamander.com -or- * The time to hesitate* * Web Site -http://www.salamander.com/~ultragon* is through... * * * The Doors * *************************************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jun 96 10:41:45 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: in response to IRC debates and bemoans.. --- It was written: heya, all you mouseketeers and pre-revolutionaries... haven't posted in quite a little while, but I've been hanging on by my toenails. I'm going to ride the line between helpful and sleazy here, and do a little song and dance advertisement for y'all. the IRC chats have been hard to arrange (between finding out how to run software and places and good times, etc.), true? well, as a possible solution, I'm going to suggest a talker which is based on a 'netzine I co-edit (Utopia Parkway), to which a number of tmbg-list people are subscribed (back me up here, if you so choose), and which has historically had a definite interest in tmbg and its close relatives - - consequently, there's a tmbg shrine as one of the talker's rooms. okay - quick back-up: what's a talker? it's sort of like a MUD, in the sense that it's a *space*, with rooms and movement and interrelations, with the one difference that it's not a game, there's no objective, it's just talking; it has an IRC-esque quality to it, in that you need commands to talk, react, etc. however, it's Painfully Easy to Learn - to talk, you just type and press enter....to figure out the rest, type .help general. type .map to figure out where the tmbg shrine lurks.... (if you write to the UP address, kmpicker@midway.uchicago.edu, we can furnish a more complete tutorial) how do you get there? find the telnet function on your system, and telnet blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 (again, more complete help, write us) I know this won't completely solve the IRC-related problems - people still have to figure out how to do it, and times still have to be arranged. BUT, people tend to just hang out on talkers - for awhile it was not uncommon to find part of the tmbg-list/UP crowd in the tmbg room - which means that a) you won't get bored while you're waiting and b) people are more likely to just be there, hanging out, wanting to do the tmbg-thang if any number of us get into it. i.e. you won't necessarily have to hyper-plan meetings. and, whoever it was who kept wanting to just "talk to whoever" at 1 in the morning - this is perfect. sooo...I just throw this out there as an alternate possibility, because I think it has the potential to be a pretty good solution - it's a neat medium, and we included the shrine in the hopes that it could become a meeting-ground for list/newsfroup/subscriber-type people. sorry for the length - hope I'll see some of you around! franny. (Dali on the talker) --- end of quoted material --- Bravo Franny! 5 gold stars for u! At last somone is realizing that helpers like telenet are a lot easier to use and quite a bit faster than IRC! Believe me people, if this thing comes together and you don't have telenet, By george get the damn thing. I will be something that will folloow your good judgement for the rest of your lives! ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Chatting Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 10:56:18 -0400 (EDT) A couple of thoughts on they-chatters. 1) There is now a program called "Netscape Chat" for all you windows users that provides a fairly easy to use interface for IRC. There's a pointer to it somewhere off http://home.netscape.com/ 2) I could run on irc server on tmbg.org so everyone could connect there to chat. It wouldn't be connected to any IRC network (I already run an Undernet server and that's enough work :-). 3) I could get up a web based "chat" system. All that would be required is a web browser that supports forms. I find this idea a little gross, but it definately is easy for people to learn. I'd also like to remind people that I am getting ready to rework some or all of the web site. I'd be really interested in anyone who would like to create some graphics on the site, but if you would just like to work on pages or something please get in touch with me. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 96 11:27:28 CDT From: Francesca Lynn Parker Subject: Re: still not working... I'm cc'ing your question to the list, since a few people have had the same problem: > I've attempted to logon to that telnet thing and it has not worked... I > first put in a login and then a password, which didn't work... and then I > tried various things like "newuser" and "guest" which obviously didn't > work either... hey - make sure you're logging into port 3000, i.e. telnet blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 you should see a large ascii "Utopia Parkway" scroll by... If you telnet without the port, you'll see "NeXT Mach (blacktape)", which won't let you in. Different talkers handle ports differently: You said you're working through netscape, right? the way to format it for netscape's telnet is telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 yup. just checked - if you leave the space between edu and 3000 instead of including the colon, you won't be telnetting to the talker. For other people on the list: If you're not using netscape, still try using the colon. Lots of them seem to like that. The space is mostly for unix based systems. sorry for the trouble - hope it works this time! franny. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Telnet thing.... Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 13:45:26 -0400 (EDT) > > what do I (and everybody else) enter as a new user on this telnet thing? > EH?!! ...at least I figured out to access it through netscape... Most likely anyone with AOL, Compuserver, Prodigy or any other on-line service that does not support telnet won't be able to use this talkie thing. At least I don't think they support telnet because there ain't no Unix shell with these accounts. Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 14:16:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Are you a fox or a hedgehog? Subject: Re: Come on! On Sat, 1 Jun 1996, Ruprecht wrote: > How come there's never anybody in tmbg IRC chat? Come in! That beatles > room is no fun! the other day I went into the #TMBG room on efnet, I think, and I saw the Flansbot and there was nobody else there. I think if there is a bot there then there must be a good number of people who go there, just I keep going at the wrong time. :P~ Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org http://www.afn.org/~afn37647/ ------------------------------ From: NyQuil83@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 14:21:07 -0400 Subject: telnet thing... Why does it say unable to find application when I try to use telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000? I can't figure this thing out. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 02:33:33 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Re: Come on! >> How come there's never anybody in tmbg IRC chat? Come in! That beatles >> room is no fun! >the other day I went into the #TMBG room on efnet, I think, and I saw the >Flansbot and there was nobody else there. I think if there is a bot there >then there must be a good number of people who go there, just I keep going >at the wrong time. :P~ Or there is one really dedicated guy keeping a bot up, even though no one ever goes in there. I've been in the channel a number of times... matter of fact I usually check it whenever I go on. Once or twice there was 4 people on it, all the other times only the JohnHenry bot is there. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 12:23:12 -0700 From: Scott Organization: Rainy Day Software Subject: schpidah! i was just wondering if anybody had ever done an interpretation on Spider. we've been reading Julius Caesar in english, and i was busy thinking Their songs in my head. then i realized that Spider is like Julius Caesar. Spider is Julius (who promises not to kill anyone), the bad guys are the conspiricy who kill "Spider". and there's the general people that think "Spider" is a hero... like the plebians thought Caesar was. i told a friend the analogy, and he seems to think it fits. does anyone else? ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jun 96 15:43:24 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Almost there with Telenet Hey franny, a little help? I get to the place and I type in my user name, but when I get to the password thing it goes right to a thing that says "password to short" any help? ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jun 96 16:08:27 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: Almost there with Telenet --- You wrote: >Hey franny, a little help? I get to the place and I type in my user name, but >when I get to the password thing it goes right to a thing that says "password >to short" any help? Make your password longer..... Mine is 5 letters long, and it worked fine.. --- end of quoted material --- But I have no chance to type in a password it just goes on without me typing anything. ------------------------------ From: NyQuil83@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 16:54:18 -0400 Subject: telnet thing... Come on people. I just got connected to this telnet thing. We need more people in here. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 17:48:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Re: telnet thing... On Sun, 2 Jun 1996 NyQuil83@aol.com wrote: > Come on people. I just got connected to this telnet thing. We need more > people in here. > I connected too, real quick. Join us, won't you?!!! telnet blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 ------------------------------ Date: 02 Jun 96 19:20:04 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Telenet thing Can someone suggest a better Telenet thingy for me? I'm using NCSA telenet 2.6 and it don't work. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 16:56:35 -0800 From: kliever@proaxis.com (Valerie Kliever) Subject: T.V. A few days ago someone was talking about they on Letterman. I missed that one, but last year some time, they played a few songs on 'house of blues' just thought you might want to know --- ------------------------------ Subject: Arrrgggghhh, service not available? Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:52:04 +1000 (EST) From: Jezza > > > I connected too, real quick. Join us, won't you?!!! > > telnet blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 > Oh, god, I wish I could but when I tried it, it came back with "telnet: service not available"! Is there any other channel I can go through? I don't have acces to Netscape at the moment. My only was is through UNIX. Help! Jeremy. ------------------------------ From: "BlueDawg" Subject: Re: whoohoo Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 18:14:44 -0400 ---------- : From: TJami15126@aol.com : To: alex@yucc.yorku.ca : Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org : Subject: Re: whoohoo : Date: Saturday, June 01, 1996 10:39 PM : : In a message dated 96-06-01 20:23:53 EDT, you write: : : So... If the Yugo was named for the country where it's made, (Yugoslavia), : what are Brazilian cars called? And how do you get into them, give them a few : drinks first and reach around the back? Hmmm....I suppose that cars from Germany would be called germs. The only car on the road the cop wouldn't want to catch. ObYugo: I jumped a creek in a Yugo. If you want the details, just let me know. -- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com bluedawg@tmbg.org, BlueDawg on IRC, Jeep Driver Hey, check out my website!! http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/ ObWittySig: "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed"--John Flansburgh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 20:19:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: whoohoo I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > > as it now seems to be okay to send useless messages, I'm gonna too... > > > wait a minute, wait a minute, > > as it NOW seems okay to send useless messages? Just what the > hell do you think I've been doing for the past few months? I mean, Sam and > Randy? I'm the KING of useless messages! > And there's more to come. damn. frank ------------------------------ From: tim.clark@rma.edu Organization: Randolph-Macon Academy Date: Sun, 02 Jun 96 21:31:10 -0400 Subject: mtv has everyone been calling mtv? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 21:47:52 -0500 From: Andrew W Puckett Subject: Re: TMBG in St. Louis NyQuil82@aol.com said: >Does anyone have the info. on the concert in St. Louis? Will They be playing >with a bunch of other bands? and what is Pointfest? Okay, I'm Andy Puckett (puck@apci.net), and I live 20 minutes from St. Louis and have been to PointFests before, so I guess I'll fill y'all in on what I know from the past. This is gonna be pretty close to what I already sent Tara, so I apologize to her in advance. But I will cut it down a bit, because I know all of you aren't necessarily interested. Anyway, here you go... First of all, the only ACTUAL knowledge I have is that little mention someone gave it on a message to the list. But, it came as no surprise to me. There is an alternative radio station in St. Louis called the Point, and they have had PointFest festival shows at Riverport Amphitheater every summer since 1993. Anyway, TMBG has been there EACH AND EVERY AUGUST, so I pretty much know the score. The show is on August 17th, apparently, which means that tix will probably go on sale in mid-July (probably 13-20, while I'm out of town). The Point will probably not announce the lineup until 2 weeks before that, i.e., late June, early July. They will have a side stage with local or smaller shows. TMBG probably won't play until about dusk-ish, but have never yet been the show-closers. Other bands which have played are the Urge, No Doubt, Goldfinger, Midnight Oil, Violent Femmes, Lisa Loeb, Hothouse Flowers, Matthew Sweet, Dramarama, Aimee Mann, ..... ummmmmmm ..... and LOTS others. (Most of those are off of my shirt from the first PointFest.) I really can't think of all of the bands that have played, but by August there will have been, oh, at least 60, 4 of which were TMBG. Be forewarned, these things always sell out. Hope I was helpful, and not too annoying. Flame me if ya wanna. Just doin' a service. It'd be cool if y'all could come from all over the Midwest (or somewhere that you're closer to HERE than to any other show), so that we could PACK the place with TMBG fans. (i think it happens anyway.) Later, andy PUCKett puck@apci.net ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 23:57:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: John S. Hall As some of us are interested in finding out more about ex-King Missile frontman John S. Hall's new band, The Body Has A Head, here's part of the latest message he sent me regarding this topic: "As for the Body Has A Head, I've decided we should just go by the name John S. Hall. A record of our stuff will be coming out in Germany later this year and hopefully here as well. Otherwise, there's not that much to report." Anyway, just thought you might like to know. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 00:56:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Talk to us in real time right now HEy Everybody! Telnet immediately if you can to blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 And Jeremy, I have a text system, I just type that line in at the prompt (with "telnet" in front of it) and that's all. So try again. I hope you can do it. I hope some of you out there also can See you, Mike ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 23:58:15 -0500 (CDT) From: Capstick Jennifer M Subject: Pointfest in general... > Does anyone have the info. on the concert in St. Louis? Will They be playing > with a bunch of other bands? and what is Pointfest? The Pointfest is an all day alternative music festival sponsored by the Point 105.7. Tmbg was at the first one in may of 94 i believe...I got my t'sirt autographed by Flans at that one...=] and they have been at several of the other festivals over the years...the fstival generally starts around 2pm and lasts till after 10ish...usually really great bands and well worth the money...the one on memorial day sold out in 45 minutes...and i missed out on getting to go, so i'm going to be camping in line for these tickets wheneer they go on sale.... however, i also do not have a clue as to who the other bands will be, if anyone else does...lemme know...=] VoodooGal "I ain't gonna change for nobody, I ain't gonna sell my soul, I ain't gonna change for nobody, I ain't gonna lie no more!" --Zen Cowboys "Do things for yourself, not for others..." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 01:00:08 -0600 (CST) From: "Francesca Parker" Subject: some more answers (hopefully :) hey y'all! well, first off, the joint is jumping. I've been on a few times today, and in each case there were around 5 list people on - at least. sooooo, come hang out if you can figure the derned thing out ;) to re-state a few points that may answer some of your questions/problems: 1. if you're in a UNIX-BASED SYSTEM, at the prompt, just type telnet blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 2. if you're using NETSCAPE, in the telnet function/box/thang, type: telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 this way may work for various other (non-UNIX) systems, so try it with the colon. UNIX - no colon others - colon (jeremy - this may have been your problem - it was hard to tell quite what error message you were getting) **** this is key **** you should see a large ascii "Utopia Parkway" scroll by... If you telnet without a specified port, you'll see "NeXT Mach (blacktape)", which won't let you in. another distinction is that the talker will literally say "Give me a name" for you login, whereas the main, non-talker part of blacktape will look like a normal UNIX login - it'll say "login:" other questions: - if it says the password's too short, not much I can do - make it longer - I use NCSA telnet, and it works fine - but I'll admit that I use NCSA to telnet into my normal school account (midway.uchicago.edu), which is a UNIX-based account, and once I'm at a UNIX prompt, *then* I telnet to the talker...I don't know if that's an option for mr. robert grabill, but there ya go. - people who were getting "application not found" messages, just make sure all your colons and spaces are in the right place - since those sort of pipe the information into your system, the right arrangement is key - and screw around with them to see what makes sense to your system... (my, aren't I getting vague...ah well.) okay - 'tis late - again, good luck - hope you make it over - and a pox on all those damned commercial servers that don't let you telnet! franny. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-155 ******************************