Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-156 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 156 Tuesday, 4 June 1996 Today's Topics: blahblahblahhhh. Re: blahblahblahhhh. Re: blahblahblahhhh. TMBG in Fairfax? TORI AMOS TIX TONITE IN CINCINNATI! Ok, here's how #TMBG works (was 'Come on!') Goodbye, and thank you.. Re: blahblahblahhhh. Interesting mail problem. telnet thing Re: telnet thing fruvous Superfuled Freaksicle? Re: Superfuled Freaksicle? al tv! Re: Superfuled Freaksicle? Re: Superfuled Freaksicle? Mono Puff...err...Pause THE RETURN OF AL TV AND BROTHER BLACKHAWK... Al TV TMBG/Mono Puff etc etc Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 10:06:15 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: blahblahblahhhh. Ack! OK, I tried this telnet thingie and I got on and all that, but found myself hopelessly lost since I've never done IRC or anything of this sort before. I've always been afraid that if I do, I'll become one of those scary people who sits there in the computer lab for hours on end, twitching violently, since it seems to be a very addictive thing. IRC and related stuff, I mean. Not twitching violently. Oh, and if whoever goes by Particleman is somebody from the list, I was that clueless Ondine who kept disappearing! Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you, I just had no idea what to do! Once I figure out what's going on, I'll stop being such a snob, I promise. :) Anyway...OK, here's a question for you all. I was having a discussion with some of my friends who are indifferent and/or hostile towards TMBG (the horror!!!!), and I was trying to convince them that TMBG are not in the same genre as Weird Al. What do you guys think? I think Weird Al's OK and all, but I definitely do not see TMBG as a part of that same category. I couldn't seem to convince them, though. Well, it's time again for my three-hour-long class. Yippee! :) Throwing the crib door wide, --Tara *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. Date: Mon, 3 Jun 96 11:24:16 18000 > > Ack! OK, I tried this telnet thingie and I got on and all that, but > found myself hopelessly lost since I've never done IRC or anything of > this sort before. I've always been afraid that if I do, I'll become one > of those scary people who sits there in the computer lab for hours on > end, twitching violently, since it seems to be a very addictive thing. > IRC and related stuff, I mean. Not twitching violently. Oh, and if whoever > goes by Particleman is somebody from the list, I was that clueless > Ondine who kept disappearing! Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you, I > just had no idea what to do! Once I figure out what's going on, I'll > stop being such a snob, I promise. :) > That's me... I go by ParticleMan! I understand what you mean, i was lost when I got on but there were a bunch of people who helped me out instantly when i got on there. But hey, it was fun while it lasted! And I agree whole heartedly with the IRC-twitching-hypnotism statement.... > Anyway...OK, here's a question for you all. I was having a discussion > with some of my friends who are indifferent and/or hostile towards TMBG > (the horror!!!!), and I was trying to convince them that TMBG are not in > the same genre as Weird Al. What do you guys think? I think Weird Al's > OK and all, but I definitely do not see TMBG as a part of that same > category. I couldn't seem to convince them, though. > > Well, it's time again for my three-hour-long class. Yippee! :) > > Throwing the crib door wide, > --Tara > > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* > * Tara Weber | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * > * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * > * Ondine@tmbg.org | tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * > * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * > *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* > > -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 12:08:39 -0400 Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. >Anyway...OK, here's a question for you all. I was having a discussion >with some of my friends who are indifferent and/or hostile towards TMBG >(the horror!!!!), and I was trying to convince them that TMBG are not in >the same genre as Weird Al. What do you guys think? I think Weird Al's >OK and all, but I definitely do not see TMBG as a part of that same >category. I couldn't seem to convince them, though. TMBG definitely agree with you that Weird Al's style isn't compatible with theirs, which is why you'll never see them performing together. I really like Al a lot, so it's kinda too bad, really, but I understand why. Al's primarily a great humorist who happens to be a very good musician, wheras TMBG are primarily great musicians who happen to be humorous, too--there's a distinction there that most people don't bother to make, which is why they are lumped together so often. Also, Al doesn't get _nearly_ the respect he deserves in the music biz, and TMBG don't want to suffer the same fate. Kay, whose friends are also indifferent/hostile to TMBG (sigh) ------------------------------ From: justin@csgi.com (Justin Higgins) Subject: TMBG in Fairfax? Date: 03 Jun 1996 13:17:36 GMT Organization: digitalNATION Internet Services I was listening to WHFS last night, and heard a commercial for the Fairfax Fair, a local event in Virginia. They mentioned something about TMBG being there but I didn't quite catch it. Does anyone have any info about this, and any other TMBG performances this summer in the Virginia/DC area? =========================================================== Computer Services Group,Inc. http://www.dn.net Provider of Internet Access & Highspeed Web Server Services Specializing in WWW Solutions for Commerce & Enterprise ph:(703)642-2800 fax:(703)642-0516 email:justin@csgi.com =========================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 14:23:57 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: TORI AMOS TIX TONITE IN CINCINNATI! Attention Tori Fans.... I have 3 tix to tori amos in cincinnati at the aranoff center!!!! where? good seats in the 1st balcony.. 5th row maybe????? $? face value o.b.o. email me before 5p.m. if you are interested!!!!!!!!!!!!! not just another john sorry to post non-tmbg message but i don't wanna get stuck with these! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 15:26:19 -0400 From: MDM Subject: Ok, here's how #TMBG works (was 'Come on!') >Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 02:33:33 -0400 >From: Michael Batchelder >Subject: Re: Come on! > >>> How come there's never anybody in tmbg IRC chat? Come in! That beatles >>> room is no fun! >>the other day I went into the #TMBG room on efnet, I think, and I saw the >>Flansbot and there was nobody else there. I think if there is a bot there >>then there must be a good number of people who go there, just I keep going >>at the wrong time. :P~ > >Or there is one really dedicated guy keeping a bot up, even though no one >ever goes in there. >I've been in the channel a number of times... matter of fact I usually check >it whenever I go on. Once or twice there was 4 people on it, all the other >times only the JohnHenry bot is there. > >Mike > The biggest IRC server there is, is efnet. #tmbg there is run by someone who's name escapes me, but he run's JohnHenery, a 24/7 unix bot, which is lagged most of the time. Of all the times i've been to #tmbg on efnet, i have only seen the bot +o 2 people and they were both lagged from me. (FLansbot is almost never here) The Second biggest server is Undernet. #tmbg there is run by me (MDM). X is a 24/7 csc bot to keep the channel and a userlist for ops and such. Flansbot is a mIRC bot written by me and does a varity of stuff. Linnell is another mIRC bot that i run which links #tmbg on efnet to #tmbg on undernet. #tmbg undernet has a population of about a dozen ops and 15 non-ops, but there never get there at the same time. :) #tmbg on Dalnet (3rd biggest server?). Well, it's registered to me, but i haven't been there in the longest time. if there are people who go there, let me know, i'll link it with Linnell and get some channel ops. #tmbg on EICN (earth international chat network), Pavlov and I are the only people ever there. Come join us. prodigy.ny.us.earthint.net is a good server. I hope this clears a lot of stuff up, if you have any questions about my #tmbg's, feel free to e-mail me :) -MDM *----------------------------------------------------------------------- -Matt Metras metrasm@vivanet.com http://www.vivanet.com/~metrasm MDM on undernet and EICN mdm@tmbg.org Manager of #TMBG on Undernet, Dalnet and EICN Closing Link: MDM[metrasm@206.25.250.132] dinnerbell@tmbg.org (K-lined) *-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 13:29:05 -0600 (MDT) From: WorldWide Skull Subject: Goodbye, and thank you.. Well, although I've hardly posted and I sometimes don't read my digests for weeks at a time, I've enjoyed this list, but I'm goin' home, so I'm unsubscribing today. THIS LIST RULES!! I wouldn't have known many TMBG things that I do, such as the existence of Spiralling Shape, without you guys.. Thanks! Mark Melville ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 16:01:57 -0400 Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. >I was trying to convince them that TMBG are not in >the same genre as Weird Al. What do you guys think? I think Weird Al's >OK and all, but I definitely do not see TMBG as a part of that same >category. I agree completely. Obviously, I love TMBG, but while I tolerate Weird Al, and find him mildly amusing at times, I'm not a big fan. The two musical entities are decidedly different. I can understand TMBG's reluctance to associate themselves with Weird Al, because they already fall victim to that "nerd rock" label, which Weird Al almost seems to cultivate. (Note: I'm not saying that I agree with that label for TMBG, and I almost hesitate to mention it, because I hate perpetuating such a thing. I see TMBG as being their own musical category.) It's kind of funny, I've always had pretty good luck with turning my friends into TMBFans. It's not intentional, but I guess the smell of TMBLove is everywhere around me. Or something like that. Love, Brooks, who doesn't want to insult Weird Al fans. Everyone has the right to listen to whatever they want... (the standard musical opinion disclaimer.) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Interesting mail problem. Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 16:59:56 -0400 (EDT) If you send mail to some invalid address @tmbg.org you won't get back the normal "User unknown" message, but rather the cryptic "mail loops back to itself" message. This is caused by the slightly non-standard way I have things set up. I'm working on fixing it. Rest assured, all mail sent to vaild addresses is going through fine (I think :-), it's just the error messages that are a little wierd. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 15:22:42 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: telnet thing I tried telnetting blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000, and I got in, but it wouldn't let me log in. It said give me a name, and I did, then it said give me a password, then, before I could do anything, it said password too short. It was like everytime I pressed return, it acted like I pressed it twice. It was weird. Can anyone help with that? Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: 03 Jun 96 17:55:52 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: Re: telnet thing --- You wrote: I tried telnetting blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000, and I got in, but it wouldn't let me log in. It said give me a name, and I did, then it said give me a password, then, before I could do anything, it said password too short. It was like everytime I pressed return, it acted like I pressed it twice. It was weird. Can anyone help with that? Ana Ng --- end of quoted material --- Try taking of the echo or local echo option. Or if your using NCSA telenet like me, you may have to type your name take of echo press retur, put echo back on and type your password. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: fruvous Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 19:57:47 -0400 (EDT) For all those Moxy Fruvous fans interested they had an awesome show last night in Baltimore playing everything from Wood songs to Green Eggs and Ham from the demo tape (which was rockin!). One of the best shows I've ever been to for any band! They are going to DC tomorrow night at the Bayou in Georgetown, check it out! I won't be able to go as I'll be at another concert. I did manage to pick up a Wood poster that said Sunday June 2 on it and I got the B and Wood albums (on which I had Dave and Jean sign). Look for them in your neck o' de woods. (no pun intended). I also heard a neato TMBG bootleg last night where fans grushed the stage and got hurt and such. But the songs were great (1992, dunno where though). Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Chris_Moesel@onf.com (Chris Moesel) Subject: Superfuled Freaksicle? Date: 04 Jun 1996 01:16:28 GMT Organization: Falmouth BBS, Falmouth, Maine Hey guys! I just heard a rumor that the new tmbg album might be called "Superfuled Freaksicle." It doesn't sound like a normal name for a giants album, but maybe.... anyone else heard anything? ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Superfuled Freaksicle? Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 21:22:34 -0400 (EDT) > I just heard a rumor that the new tmbg album might be called "Superfuled > Freaksicle." It doesn't sound like a normal name for a giants album, but > maybe.... anyone else heard anything? I can respond authoratatively on this one. Superfuled Freaksickle, a B-sides album like Misc. T will be released sometime early in '97. The Giant's also have a new album that will be released in September. As of yet it has no title. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: al tv! Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 21:27:37 -0400 (EDT) Heya all! I was just checking out MTV and Al TV is on! Yes Weird Al Yankovich looks like he's hosting it. He juts did some funky version of Closer by NIN ;) hehehe Seey has Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Superfuled Freaksicle? Date: Mon, 3 Jun 96 21:31:02 18000 > > Hey guys! > > I just heard a rumor that the new tmbg album might be called "Superfuled > Freaksicle." It doesn't sound like a normal name for a giants album, but > maybe.... anyone else heard anything? > Yep.. We've all heard this one. Nobody knows. Particle Man. Sure, it could be the new album title, or maybe it isn't. *shrug* -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: Superfuled Freaksicle? Date: Mon, 3 Jun 96 21:45:06 18000 > > > > > Hey guys! > > > > I just heard a rumor that the new tmbg album might be called "Superfuled > > Freaksicle." It doesn't sound like a normal name for a giants album, but > > maybe.... anyone else heard anything? > > > > Yep.. We've all heard this one. Nobody knows. Particle Man. > Sure, it could be the new album title, or maybe it isn't. *shrug* > Oops.... I need to shut up.... right after I sent this I got Leo Bicknell's msg saying exact info. NEVERMIND :) > -- > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) > voting process... send designs and ideas to me! > EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting > WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html > For seeing and voting on the design submissions. > tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > -- *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - Now Running the TMBG Omelette (Official Mailing List Tshirt) voting process... send designs and ideas to me! EMAIL: smeaj@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu For ideas (slogans, etc) and voting WWW: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/~thare/tmbg.html For seeing and voting on the design submissions. tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 22:08:37 +0600 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Mono Puff...err...Pause Found this on a.m.bootlegs: -------- On June 11th Rykodisc will release _Annex To Idea_, the debut album from totally rockin' alt.rock supergroup MONO Pause, featuring Peter Conheim, Mark Gergis, Brian Hall, Erik Gergis and Heco Davis. Rykodisc is offering consumers the opportunity to pre-order this title through our web site. If you are among the first 03 to place your order for MONO Pause through us, you will receive a bonus libretto companion to _Annex To Idea_, created and signed by Cobra Commander himself with two 'melt-on' light switch babies!! You may say , "That can't be"...Yes, it can, and is. Orders pla'ced by June 6th will be shipped to arrive on the release date. To find out more about MONO Pause and this offer, visit the Rykodisc web site: http://www.mindspring.com/~acheslow/AuntMary/electro.html -------- Mono Pause _and_ Mono Puff on the same label, releasing a debut album at the same time...coincidence, or not? Actually not. Just someone's lame attempt to promote their own band. Mono Pause sounds a bit too much like menopause for my taste anyway. -- Pat psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ From: BOAR_110@access.ohio.gov Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 23:29:06 -0400 (EDT) Subject: THE RETURN OF AL TV AND BROTHER BLACKHAWK... I have got a laptop now. Wait, that doesn't show my happiness. Time to do it Blackhawk style... I HAVE GOT A LAPTOP NOW!!!!! I'm back and kickin and felt I should drop a line pointing this out. {BTW- Hi Nette}. Anyways, fuzzy logic dictates that the return, even if only temporary, of AL TV means the return of TMBG videos. To quote a loud mouth on MTV, WOOOOOOOO HAAAAAAAAA! This is cool because last night I dreamed that THeY released a two part music video with both the "pink album" and the "Back to Skull" versions of She Was A Hotel Detective, though since I was listening to the Pink Album last night,the Back to Skull version was to the tune of She's an Angel. Anyways, I will try to keep up with my mail daily. May the Johns be you guide, and The Guide be your key to Pan Galactic Gargle-blasters everywhere. Your buddy {not the Tick}, Brother Blackhawk. +++**************** ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Al TV Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 23:55:00 -0400 (EDT) Well I watched Al TV from 8-11, what a throw-back to when he was on in 1987 (was it then or was that '89?) Actually I never saw when he originally did Al TV unfortunately. Also, they did not play any TMBG vids whilst I was watching although he might have played one before I started, I dunno how long Al TV was on before 8. He did play Amish Paradise though and I got it on tape! whoo hoo! Wackyh video! Ahh I was hoping for that TMBG-ish song on his new album. It was cool anyway! See yas (maybe on Friday in Virginia?) Matt -- ----------------------Bill Nye, the Science Guy!------------------------ Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org |TMBG|Sleeper "EIREANN GO BRATH!"|Menswe@r|Echobelly| Wedge Antilles |The Beatles|XTC Judybats|Robyn Hitchcock|Cause & Effect| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Pogues|Erasure|Warsaw-JoyDivision-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|Other Two|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds|SPOCK|Supergrass -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.--------- ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 01:21:25 -0400 Subject: TMBG/Mono Puff etc etc For those of you not privy to the TMBG Folder on AOL, I figured I'd pass this post along: ---------------begin quoted material----------------------------- The new TMBG record (I know, I know, "don't tease me",you say) is due to be released on September 24th. The title is still undecided, though. The CD single is due out September 3rd, which should include the live recordings done last month at the Edison Labs (I Can Hear You, Baby I Know, Theme for the Edison Museum and James K. Polk). In addition to the Fairfax VA show 6/7, there will a weeks worth of dates in August surrounding the Pointfest show in St. Louis 8/17. Also after the record is out, you can count on Them touring from about mid-September thru December before breaking for the holidays. I've been willingly drafted into collecting data and ideas for the Official TMBG Web Site, so it should be finished sometime in July (it's really gonna be special so it's not going to be rushed). Mono Puff is on tour! How does Flans find the Time? Here are the dates: 6/24 Providence, RI Baby Face 6/25 Boston, MA Middle East 6/26 Philadelphia, PA Theatre Of The Living Arts 6/27 Washington, DC 9:30 Club 6/28-29 New York, NY Mercury Lounge These shows are confirmed, but call ahead for times and tickets. The new Mono Puff video is in the can and should be ripe for requesting on MTV on the week of June 10th. -------------end quoted material------------------------ Love, Brooks ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-156 ******************************