Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #2-157 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 2, Number 157 Wednesday, 5 June 1996 Today's Topics: Re: schpidah! 'ello, again.... Re: TMBG/Mono Puff Albums etc (from AOL) Re: Telnet thing Re: TMBG/Mono Puff Albums etc (from AOL) Re: TMBG/Mono Puff Albums etc (from AOL) tmbg.org.... Ben or Been and Bye or By or Buy Re: blahblahblahhhh. vynal freshmen idiots Re: TMBG/Mono Puff Albums etc (from AOL) Re: blahblahblahhhh. Blacktape... Re: blahblahblahhhh. Al and TMBG.... And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) Al and TMBG.... (reprise) Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT Weird Al, etc My little TMBG Story... Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT Weird literary finds Re: 'ello, again.... Re: blahblahblahhhh. Re: vynal No one gives a damn Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT MTV Yack Live Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT Times Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT RE: blahblahblahhhh. Re: Times RE: blahblahblahhhh. Superfueled Freaksickle New Album Tracks Re: Superfueled Freaksickle No one gives a damn Ops on New stuff MONO PUFF IS HERE! No song called Pearl Re: MTV and Korn Re: New Album Tracks Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Re: blahblahblahhhh. About this weird stuff... Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "NJ Powell" Subject: Re: schpidah! Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:53:16 +0100 (BST) Hello Everyone! It's me again, the girl on the hill in the middle of England. Alas, I must be going soon, off on my way. I am going to miss you all, I've loved being on this list. Oh well, I'll be back soon enough. (If anyone has a big accident in the Birmingham area, you'll see me smiling over you in intensive care with a suction catheter...) Anyway, enough of my grossness. The message below comes from my brother, (who loathes tmbg, btw). Take it as a parting gift, if you will. See you all soon, and have a great summer, tmbg-folk! Nicola > I had to think quite hard to remember my Spider theory but if you are > really interested here goes.... > > Spider is a 1970's Japanese fighting creature alongside Godzilla (Giant > Reptile) against interplanetary aliens. > This sort of film involved lots of "roarrr" noises etc. heard in the > background of the song.Also Japanese weird stuff if i remember right! > > Sorry if thats not up to scratch but im sure the deluded TMBG fans might > find a little place in their hearts for my creative ideas! > > Bob Mills still loves the Johns as he played one of their songs (taped > for you) last night > Hey dont you wish you had groovy london radio > Jon ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: 'ello, again.... Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:06:47 -0500 (CDT) Hello, people.... Please excuse my lack of posting for the past x many weeks.... I've been home and away from telnet for quite some time.... ----- Regardless, I'm back now, for the rest of the summer, so please, FLOOD MY MAILBOX!! (no bombs, please..... a lot of non sequiters will do...).... It's boring here, and I've got nothing to do in my job. ;) -CJ Drawing on my fine command | CJ "Cyborg" Kucera -- St. Norbert College of language, I said nothing. | http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez - Mark Twain |~"~'~"'`"~"~"~"~"~~"`"`"`'`"~"`'~"`'~"~"~~"`"`"~ ...........................,.*' WOW: Nuk ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:51:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG/Mono Puff Albums etc (from AOL) Just a question: How come this stuff never comes to the mailing list first? Who sends it out to other people on AOL so that they know before the mailing list and the newsgroup? RS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:04:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: Telnet thing On 3 Jun 1996, Robert Grabill Jr. wrote: > Try taking off the echo or local echo option. Or, if you're using NCSA > telnet, like me, you may have to type your name, take off echo, press > return, put echo back on, and type your password. Hmmm, I don't see why you would want the local echo on in the first place, unless something was messed up on your system. However, the only thing that would happen if your local echo was on would be that it would use the same thing for your password as it used for your name. So, I guess your name was under 8 characters also. I have no idea why anyone would want local echo on, since it's annoying as hell and doesn't usually help anything, but if you need it for some reason, then just do what he said and turn it off right before your name and password. RS ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:25:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Are you a fox or a hedgehog? Subject: Re: TMBG/Mono Puff Albums etc (from AOL) On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Ryan Staib wrote: > Just a question: How come this stuff never comes to the mailing > list first? Who sends it out to other people on AOL so that they know before > the mailing list and the newsgroup? they don't. AOL has special features that internet users do not have. I know she is referring to this folder that TMBG fans post on (sort of like a message board) for other people to read and respond to. It isn't in e-mail, it's just a seperate thing you can do if you're on AOL. Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org http://www.afn.org/~afn37647/ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: TMBG/Mono Puff Albums etc (from AOL) Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:32:21 -0400 (EDT) > they don't. AOL has special features that internet users do not have. I know > she is referring to this folder that TMBG fans post on (sort of like a > message board) for other people to read and respond to. It isn't in e-mail, > it's just a seperate thing you can do if you're on AOL. I believe we might be able to get these things out on the list or web site a lot faster in the near future. I've been developing a good relationship with the front office, and hopefully on Friday I'll actually get to talk with John and John. I'm going to see if I can get put on the promo mailing list, as well as get more regular updates from the office. There's a lot of people involved, and it's pretty hard to keep up sometimes. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: tmbg.org.... Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:44:10 -0500 (CDT) How do I go about getting an address @tmbg.org? Just wondering... I believe that someone else already explained that, but seeing as I forgot, and I'm bored out of my skull, and the list seems to be running rather slow now that I guess everyone's not at college anymore, so instead I'm just going to write again and annoy everyone.... **** A humorous adage to possibly make this message worth reading: I was outside doing some yardwork with Lincoln playing in the background, and eventually, as it tends to do often, Shoehorn with Teeth starts to play.... So, I decided to dance around like an idiot to amuse myself, because that's just a really fun thing to do whilst listening to Shoehorn With Teeth.... So some idiots (musta been Freshmen in HS or something...) were rather amused by it, but I just leaned againt my wall and laughed at them heartily.... They will never understand.... Bwahahahaha! -CJ, who's going to possibly get some actual work done now..... Drawing on my fine command | CJ "Cyborg" Kucera -- St. Norbert College of language, I said nothing. | http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez - Mark Twain |~"~'~"'`"~"~"~"~"~~"`"`"`'`"~"`'~"`'~"~"~~"`"`"~ ...........................,.*' WOW: Nuk ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 11:46:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben or Been and Bye or By or Buy Ben or Been here. Ben's Dial-A-Song ends thus. I leave for the summer. Talk about me behind my back. Love me, or leave me alone. Have a great summer of Digested chatter!!! And hope the reviews of Mono Puff are grand!!! For now, I leave, Ben or Been (who leaves Wednesday afternoon for Winston-Salem, NC) ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. Date: Tue, 04 Jun 96 10:31:00 P I personaly beleive that few bands fit in the TMBG genre. The closest I can think of is Bare Naked Ladies, (their first album, gordon only), and the Wonder Stuff. WEird al doesn't fit at all. He is way different. Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden - S" Subject: vynal Date: Tue, 04 Jun 96 10:31:00 P I found The pink album, and lincoln on vinal. each for about $10. Is this an OK deal? Should I go for it? Brenden - nednerB ------------------------------ From: simpatico@daccess.net Date: 4 Jun 1996 12:44:02 EDT Subject: freshmen idiots KU>So some idiots (musta been Freshmen in HS or something...) were rather amused by it, but I just leaned againt my wall and laughed at them heartily.... The will never understand.... Bwahahahaha! Hey! I just finished my freshman year in High School and I do the same thing, except not in my garden, but on the bus, on city streets, etc. Don't generalize just because most kids my age are not influenced by the magic of THEY. :) Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org http://www.afn.org/~afn37647/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:56:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG/Mono Puff Albums etc (from AOL) OK. To the person who tried to explain AOL folders: I know what AOL is and how it's different from the internet. That was not my point. Leo got close to answering my question. What I want to know is: How do other people get information about TMBG before the people on the list and the newsgroup do? What exactly is the promo mailing list? Can anyone be on it, or just record industry or radio type people? What I want to know is: How can other people 'hear' about a record coming out before we know about it? If it's something official, you'd figure the list would know about it. If it's not official, then where does it come from? That's all I wanted to know. I know what a folder on AOL is. Thanks, RS ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:05:03 -0500 (CDT) > I personaly beleive that few bands fit in the TMBG genre. The closest I can > think of is Bare Naked Ladies, (their first album, gordon only), and the > Wonder Stuff. The Smiths are similar, if not musically, then because of the lyrics... Well, I suppose they're sort of musically similar, too... Most of their songs (that I've heard... I've only been getting into them recently) seem to be really bright and chipper, while the lyrics are somewhat dark... They seem to experiment with a lot of different styles and everything, too.... They're not really simliar item-to-item, but they give me the impression of a very "Giant-esque" band.... ('course, I belive that the Smiths have been around longer than TMBG, so it would be the other way around...) -CJ, and his 2 cents... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:24:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Blacktape... Remember kids we are always waiting to speak to you, TMBG lovers, at blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu 3000 It is fun and worth a shot See you later, Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:51:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. "Rensink, Brenden - S" writes: > WEird al doesn't fit at all. > > He is way different. how so? he plays the accordion, has a band that plays many other instruments, has strange lyrics (and yes, he actually writes a LOT of original songs - not everything he puts out is a parody, contrary to what a lot of people seem to think) and quirky songs, in many different styles. his style parody of TMBG on the last album is frighteningly accurate - which didn't really surprise me, as his general style of music is an awful lot like Theirs anyway, with harmony and weird bridges and so on.. (i haven't been reading all the messages on the list too closely - if someone else has already posted something to this effect, please forgive me.) i recently saw Al in concert, on the first show of the new tour, in Wilkes-Barre (was anyone else on the list there?) he put on a wonderful show, with a wide variety of old songs and new songs and costumes and silliness and all, improvisations and silly band intros. afterwards my friends and i hung out and actually got to sit and talk to the band and to meet Al - something that *never* seems to happen to me at TMBG shows anymore. it was a nice change, and considering he's been putting out music a few years longer than TMBG too, you'd think that if anything, he'd be the one to get sick of talking to his fans earlier.. i dunno, maybe I've just gone to the wrong TMBG shows in the past few years. but at any rate, while TMBG is certainly a unique band, they aren't the definition of a genre or the sole member. there are *plenty* of bands that could easily be compared to Them - Devo, the New Wave TMBG... Oingo Boingo, the early 80's TMBG.. Drink Me, the acoustic TMBG.. Young Fresh Fellows, the Seattle TMBG.. King Missile, what you get when you stick TMBG in a blender and throw in a gremlin.. Butthole Surfers, TMBG on heroin.. Dead Milkmen, TMBG in a garage.. I mean, I could go on, and on, and on, and still come up with groups that easily compare to TMBG and could be put in the same genre as them, but I'm not *that* bored right now. so, anyway, one week till mono puff. yay. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Al and TMBG.... Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:11:43 -0500 (CDT) Someone mentioned Wierd Al today, so I figure I might as well bring back the whole "Everything you Know is Wrong" thing again.... With my recent purchase (finally!) of Lincoln, I noticed that "Everything Right is Wrong Again" could be another piece of the link between that song and TMBG.... The premise seems to be the same.... Also, I would agree that Al is nothing like TMBG most of the time, except for a general purpose of making the world a better place to be. -CJ, who's still bored (can you tell?) _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:32:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) (fwd) Hey TMBGers. I came across this and thought you might like it --Mike ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 12:19:35 -0800 From: BONNIE LEE HOWARD To: Multiple recipients of list CINEMA-L Subject: And you thought JAWS was scary...(no OCC) I'll just pass this along without comment... ---------------------------Original message---------------------------- True Story... Fire Authorities in California found a corpse in a burnt out section of forest whilst assessing the damage done by a forest fire. The deceased male was dressed in a full wet suit, complete with a dive tank, flippers and face mask. A post mortem examination revealed that the person died not from burns but from massive internal injuries. Dental records provided a positive identification. Investigators then set about determining how a fully clad diver ended up in the middle of a forest fire. It was revealed that, on the day of the fire, the person went for a diving trip off the coast - some 20 kilometers away from the forest. The firefighters, seeking to control the fire as quickly as possible called in a fleet of helicopters with very large buckets. The buckets were dropped into the ocean for rapid filling, then flown to the forest fire and emptied. You guessed it. One minute our diver was making like Flipper in the Pacific, the next he was doing a breaststroke in a fire bucket 300m in the air. Apparently, he extinguished exactly 1.78m (5'10") of the fire. ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Al and TMBG.... (reprise) Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:31:34 -0500 (CDT) > With my recent purchase (finally!) of Lincoln, I noticed that "Everything Actually, my recent purchase of Lincoln has _nothing_ to do with that.... My recent recording I acquired of the Pink album was what made me notice that. *sigh* *sputter* _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:16:23 -0400 Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT In a message dated 96-06-04 14:57:42 EDT, entropy+@CMU.EDU (Deanna Rubin) writes: > >how so? he plays the accordion, has a band that plays many other >instruments, has strange lyrics (and yes, he actually writes a LOT of >original songs - not everything he puts out is a parody, contrary to >what a lot of people seem to think) and quirky songs, in many >different styles. his style parody of TMBG on the last album is >frighteningly accurate - which didn't really surprise me, as his >general style of music is an awful lot like Theirs anyway, with >harmony and weird bridges and so on. The way I see it, yes They and Al are somewhat _musically_ similar where they are both very talented and play under-used instruments, however, (god I love that word) _lyrically_ there is an entire world of difference... although the words to either of their songs always sound funny, With Al it's just sort of obvious, you will _never_ see a weird AL interpretation archive because you know exactly what a song is about on the first listening, if anybody can prove me wrong, please do so... TMBG, on the other hand have silly sounding words, but complex lyrics... this is what I love about tmbg, this is why TMBG deserves much more respect than Al, this is why no one would cover an original or parody song by weird al... So in conclusion... TMBG is silly sounding, Weird Al is just silly... wow, long post... here comes the OAT... Oh nevermind... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:01:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Weird Al, etc =09Here's an excerpt of an interview. I think there's another article somewhere, but I don''t remember where. This should explain why TMBG is not like Al.=20 14850: There's a lot of lyrics in John Henry about misunderstandings.=20 Are you afraid of being misunderstood?=20 JF: Communication is just an effort to not be misunderstood. I think that's what most songs are about. On some level I think saying something's finished is putting your faith in the fact that you won't be misunderstood. Or that it's unimportant that it needs to be explained any better.=20 On some level, I think we'll always be misunderstood. What we're about is just a little bit too complicated for the music press to appreciate. Musical movements are presented as monolithic slabs.=20 They're really synthesized and boiled down into descriptions that don't really apply to a lot of people. When I was a teenager and the whole punk rock/ new wave thing was happening, it was really clear to me that these bands were very distinct from one another. As far as Rolling Stone was concerned the most important thing was that everybody knew that they were all the same. What we do has a range to it that is very confusing for people. To some extent, because we do some songs that are really light-hearted, it really skews people's perspective of what's going on. Our intentions are just as bombastic as any art rocker. We basically are going for the most sophisticated thing that we can cook up. [Our music] is often presented as if it's really a middle-brow activity. I think it's sort of a cross to bear to a certain extent. People are always going to think that we're a party band. People are always going to think that we're "The Funny Guys."=20 =EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC= =EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC= =EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC= =EC=EC=EC=EC =EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC= =EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC= =EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC=EC= =EC=EC=EC=EC ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:27:02 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Kopenec Subject: My little TMBG Story... Okay...I had won some tickets for a local concert (I live just outside of Dallas) which was the birthday celebration for a pretty darn decent "alternative rock station" in the area being up for 7 years...In case you want to know, the bands/artists there were, in order, Did Lee Squat, Jewel, Dada, Cowboy Junkies, Deep Blue Something, and Jars of Clay...well, DBS (deep blue something) took a long time to get ready and everyone rushed the stage right after cowboy junkies to get a good seat for DBS. I got to the 12th row (eventually made it to front row after quite a bit of pushing/shoving/etc). Well, between bands, the radio station played their music to all the people at the concert (20,000 people). About 10 minutes before DBS started, and everyone was settled ni their seats, the station that seldom plays THEM decided that now would be a good time and wouldn't you know it...ANa Ng started up...I heard the first couple of beats and said, "No way!" I wish I could say there was lots of cheering for the song like when the radio played the Toadies or something but there wasn't...the upper is that I did look around and I wasn't the only one mouthing/singing the words...I saw maybe 8 people with TMBG shirts on there...who knows how many more have them and didn't wear them...I wish I had a TMBG Digest shirt to wear next time...hint, hint...well...we got some exposure from a radio station that normally only plays them once a week or two during "Flashback Cafe" (noon - 1)... By the way...something cool about hte concert...best one there was Jewel...on occasion in stead of singing , "Who will save your soul", she'd substitute the line "Bob Dole is an a**hole"...and the security guards kept telling us that we were'nt supposed to stand on our seats and she made up lyrics as she was singing that song that told us to get down when the guards told us to and when they turned around, stand back up!...How cool...and also, she's the one that reminded us that there were like 5,000 empty seats in "reserved" section and that there were 20,000 of us and only 20 or so security guards....hence a stage rush... *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message may not be broadcast, reproduced, or by any means transferred, over the Microsoft Network, unless the author (Chris Kopenec) receives a check for the sum of $500, paid in full, by Mr. Bill Gates. Transmission over the Microsoft Network is considered agreement to the above conditions. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -=*( Chris Kopenec )*=- -=*( albatross@tmbg.org )*=- -=*( kopenec@tenet.edu )*=- ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:27:46 -0500 (CDT) > words, but complex lyrics... this is what I love about tmbg, this is why TMBG > deserves much more respect than Al, this is why no one would cover an > original or parody song by weird al... So in conclusion... TMBG is silly I don't think that Al deserves less respect than TMBG, or the other way around. It's gotta be hard to come out with decent parodies all the time, and I think that Al does a really good job of duplicating other bands' styles very well... In their seperate realms, I think both TMBG and Al deserve equal respect. > wow, long post... here comes the OAT... > Oh nevermind... Curses! I was looking forward to that..... ;) _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:34:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: Weird literary finds I know you have all been waiting eagerly, so here it is: Part 2 of Weird Literary Finds This time, excerpts from The Magic Of Michael Jackson, 1984, by no credited author -So Michael stays home a lot with his animals. "I have a llama, which is a beautiful animal. He's really sweet, he loves people and he does tricks. I have a sheep. He looks just like a ram. Most people think he's a ram but he isn't. He was also in the circus. I also have an almost six foot boa constrictor. His name is Muscles and I've taken him to the studio. Diana Ross was here recently and we were both peeling his skin off." -He sings like an angel and dances like a demon. He is attracted...fascinated...by the guileness of children and animals, perhaps the only creatures in his sheltered world who will give him their unreserved love...not incidentally he is, at the bottom line, a good person. And that too, you can blame on the boogie. -(For the video Say Say Say) ...tucked in the middle of an old west setting, Michael seemed to fit the scene like a colt rollicking in a springtime pasture. -A Crawdaddy profile in 1978 had him eating a green salad in a restaurant with his fingers and, wanting to sample some quiche that had been served to someone else at the table, digging into that with his fingers, also. There is a certain naivete about Michael Jackson which is refreshing in a sense, but quite worrisome also. The book also refers to a gang member who is killed in a stabbing and then goes on to print this person's recounting of the incident with no explanation as to how this can be possible. See you next time, Mike ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:40:10 -0400 Subject: Re: 'ello, again.... > (no bombs, please..... a lot of non sequiters will do...) Just so you know, it's spelled non sequitur. I know that because that is my favorite word in the whole entire world, so I like to tell everybody about it. How stochastic is this post? tucker ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:47:17 -0400 Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. >The closest I can think of is Bare Naked Ladies, (their first album, gordon only) Woo-hah! Speaking of BNL, I'm going to their concert tomorrow night! Woo-hah! Also, I just got the new Grant Lee Buffalo CD, Copperopolis, and it is amazing. Get it! Sorry, this message doesn't really pertain to TMBG. But I had "Dinner Bell" in my head all last night. And I was just listening to BNL's "Brian Wilson", which talks all about Pavlov and his dog. Whoaaaaaaa. tucker ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 18:13:15 -0400 (EDT) From: "Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: vynal On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Rensink, Brenden - S wrote: > > I found The pink album, and lincoln on vinal. each for about $10. Is this > an OK deal? Should I go for it? I would easily go as high as $15 for Lincoln...but that's just me. Alex ------------------------------ Date: 04 Jun 96 19:25:03 EDT From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: No one gives a damn No one gives a damn what I call this message because if you're like me you read all of 'em. Anyway, This message goes out to the SANE people reading. With very few a TMBG concert (to my knowledge) on the east side, I'm eager to get to a concert somehow. Now this is where you must be sane. How long would I reasonably want to drive for a concert? I mean, taking into consideration gas money and possible sleeping accomidations, how far would I want to go? And I want no responces such as: I'D DRIVE FOREVER TO GO TO A THEY CONCERT! YOU BETTER DO THE SAME! Thanks in advance: Rob Oh yeah does anyone know of a concert on the east side anytime soon? *---------------------------------------- Today's Vocab lesson (spelling will be incorrect) 1. Dendrophillia: To be turned on by trees. 2. Calipygous: Having a well shaped buttocks. Don't believe me? look 'em up! *---------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 18:32:59 -0500 (CDT) From: Frankenberry Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT i awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: > prove me wrong, please do so... TMBG, on the other hand have silly sounding > words, but complex lyrics... this is what I love about tmbg, this is why TMBG > deserves much more respect than Al, this is why no one would cover an > original or parody song by weird al... So in conclusion... TMBG is silly > sounding, Weird Al is just silly... i agree in part, but feel this must be said. firstly, i can't STAND it that the comparison would even be made. i'm not really even sure if i agree with the idea that tmbg are "silly sounding." they've tried numerous times in interviews to explain that just because someone does something different doesn't mean it's weird or silly. it's just not like everyone else. of course, there are exceptions. for example, shoehorn with teeth is humorous, but few of their songs are like shoehorn. yes, weird al is funny, but he's not a SERIOUS (by which i do not mean the opposite of silly) songwriter. secondly, i have, in fact, heard weird al covered. a small band called swivel cherry covered "my bologna" about a year ago. with all the conviction of a tire-iron, frank ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: MTV Yack Live Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 20:19:01 -0400 (EDT) Set your IRC server to 'irc.mtv.com' and join #YackLive from 8-9 PM every evening. Put your TMBG mesages up on MTV! If you're on Unix, use: 'irc -p 6669 YourNick irc.mtv.com' for a faster connection! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 19:25:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Frankenberry: >they've tried numerous times in interviews to explain that just because >someone does something different doesn't mean it's weird or silly. it's One might argue that indeed, "doing something different" is the DEFINITION of "weird" and/or "silly". -CB ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Times Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 20:27:00 -0400 (EDT) MTV yacklive (irc.mtv.com) is from 8-9 EST! -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Ruprecht76@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 21:03:41 -0400 Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT In a message dated 96-06-04 19:32:42 EDT, zedlers@metronet.com (Frankenberry) writes: >firstly, i can't STAND it that the comparison would even be made. i'm >not really even sure if i agree with the idea that tmbg are "silly sounding." >they've tried numerous times in interviews to explain that just because >someone does something different doesn't mean it's weird or silly. What I meant by silly sounding is that's what people would say when they aren't big fans... and as most people have only heard Flood that can sound silly on the first listening... I know they don't want to be called weird and silly, but that's what people say and think... who am I to argue... (no irony there ;) > it's >just not like everyone else. of course, there are exceptions. for >example, shoehorn with teeth is humorous, but few of their songs are like >shoehorn. yes, weird al is funny, but he's not a SERIOUS (by which i do >not mean the opposite of silly) songwriter. secondly, i have, in fact, >heard weird al covered. a small band called swivel cherry covered "my >bologna" about a year ago. What I meant and was about to say... is any good band... but I should have just let that be... If anybody really wants the OAT I'll give it to them.... a spooky man named me ------------------------------ From: "Charles Box" Subject: RE: blahblahblahhhh. Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 18:04:08 -0700 Cool... another Wonder Stuff fan... I got all their stuff, they were a great, but, alas, no more band. Another band I can think of that you might not consider similar is the Beautiful South, the same wry acerbic wit. XTC and Elvis Costello also. ---------- > From: Rensink, Brenden - S > To: mailing list > Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. > Date: Tuesday, June 04, 1996 3:31 AM > > > I personaly beleive that few bands fit in the TMBG genre. The closest I can > think of is Bare Naked Ladies, (their first album, gordon only), and the > Wonder Stuff. > > WEird al doesn't fit at all. > > He is way different. > > Brenden - nednerB > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 20:08:35 -0500 From: Braham Ketcham Subject: Re: Times At 08:27 PM 6/4/96 -0400, you wrote: > > MTV yacklive (irc.mtv.com) is from 8-9 EST! > i got on and after a while they announced the channel that was going live, and i managed to get in after a few minutes... well, was anyone watching? i was on as Hexagon and i was screaming my guts out for TMBG but they edit just about all the lines that everyone says so i doubt i got on at all, so if anyone was watching, tell me if i was on. i'll try again tomorrow. see ya' everyone! Braham Ketcham! | "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't _____________________________| hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for www.salamander.com/~hexagon | And no religion too. Imagine all the =83ort=E9, Web Tower, and more! | people, living life in peace." JLennon ------------------------------ From: simpatico@daccess.net Date: 4 Jun 1996 21:26:48 EDT Subject: RE: blahblahblahhhh. BA>Cool... another Wonder Stuff fan... I got all their stuff, they were a BA>great, but, alas, no more band. Another band I can think of that you BA>might not consider similar is the Beautiful South, the same wry acerbic BA>wit. XTC and Elvis Costello also. I *love* the Beautiful South! I never really made the connection between the two though until now. I recommend to everyone "Welcome to the Beautiful South", it has really beautiful instrumentation but really funny lyrics. Oh yeah, I put the Mono Puff dates on my web page. Good thing that Brooks posted them, or my page would still be sucking from lack of THEY content. Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org http://www.afn.org/~afn37647/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:01:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: Superfueled Freaksickle > Superfuled Freaksickle, a B-sides album like Misc. T >will be released sometime early in '97. I assume that this will only be Flood-JH b-sides, right? There's already too many of those as it is. In fact, to "spark controversy," so to speak, I'll repost the B-sides/Remixes list I posted to (?) rec.music.tmbg: Okay! I went thru the discography and culled out what I think is a complete list of Elektra-age B-sides. If I left anything out, someone tell me, okay? B-Sides (plus collection, sndtrk songs): Ant James K. Polk Stormy Pinkness I'm Def Cabbagetown Siftin' Welcome To The Jungle I Blame You Moving To The Sun Why Does The Sun Shine? Jessica Whirlpool Ondine She Was A Hotel Detective Mrs. Train SenSurround 25 O'Clock One More Parade O Tannenbaum Christmas Cards Remakes/Remixes: "Larger Than Life" Istanbul (Brownsville) " (Park Slope) " (Bedford/Stuyvesant) Your Racist Friend (Sampla-Delic) The Guitar (Outer Planet) " " (Even further outer planet) " " (UK Radio Edit) Spy (single mix) Snail Dust Sleeping In The Flowers (radio edit) So, a total of 18 B-sides/sndtrk songs, and 11 remixes/remakes/new versions of album tracks. So, TMBG basically have three options: 1) Put out a disc with all the original B-sides and as many remixes will fit in the remaining space, 2) Put out a disc with a "selection" of B-sides and remixes, with many entries missing from both categories. 3) Put out a double-disc set with all the B-sides on one CD, and the promo EP and the remixes on the other. I, personally, would probably prefer option 1 or option 3. I just really hope they don't decide to go for option two, which would screw all their listeners. I buy B-side collection so I won't have to go out and buy a lot of singles to get all the cool B-sides the group has put out. Having an incomplete B-side compilation pretty much defeats the purpose. /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I spend too much time raiding windmills. We go side by side, laugh until | \-------it's right." Toad The Wet Sprocket, "Windmills"---------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:01:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: New Album Tracks Well, I'm back to incite even MORE controversy. :) As long as I'm listing Their current b-sides, I thought that we might as well list the new songs we know of so far, too, and--this is the important part--get people's opinions on them. I've heard a lot of talk about Spiralling Shape, but almost nothing on the quality of the others. Anyway, here's what we have so far... Unforgotten They Got Lost Spiralling Shape Certain Older Counterfeit Faker S.E.X.X.Y. Reprehensible XTC vs. Adam Ant On The Drag How Can I Sing Like A Girl? (aka Hi-C SNAG...:) Rat Patrol Pearl* I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice* * These songs, AFAIK, hasn't been played at any concert yet, but we over heard one of Them talking about it... So, I know this list is incomplete (last time I checked, I believe there were 13 songs plus Pearl and IHLTVOHS), so those of you who know better, help me out. Anyway, I'd like to hear opinions from those of you who have heard these songs. /----------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner----------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "I spend too much time raiding windmills. We go side by side, laugh until | \-------it's right." Toad The Wet Sprocket, "Windmills"---------------------/ ------------------------------ From: simpatico@daccess.net Date: 4 Jun 1996 22:03:20 EDT Subject: hello all! I just went to that Mtv chat thing, and let me tell you, it was terrible. For those who don't know, the main rooms are moderated. I talked for five minutes and they didn't let one thing get past them that I said. Mostly because it was all about TMBG and how everyone is being brainwashed by Mtv. I went to another room and found Ruprecht, where we spouted off TMBG lyrics like mad. Someone said, "Bush rules!" and I said, "Why listen to rubbish like that when there are Them?" and some other guy goes, "Yeah. and Korn too." hahahaha Ok, enough from me. This is my last post of the week, I promise. Amanda D. KosherBacon@tmbg.org http://www.afn.org/~afn37647/ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Superfueled Freaksickle Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:09:41 -0400 (EDT) > B-Sides (plus collection, sndtrk songs): > > Ant > James K. Polk > Stormy Pinkness > I'm Def [and so on] Those aren't B-Sides, they are CD singles. Some definitions: Single - A particular song individually released. Album - A collection of songs released together. B-sides - Songs never released. released == available to be played on the radio. So, generally you release a single or two off an album before the album to entice people, and then release the whole album, which is why you'll see all of those (I think all) singles also appear on one of the albums. (the other songs on the single are just promo filler) So far the only They B-Sides is 'Misc T'. I suspect this new B-Sides will have a lot of B-Sides from the album they are currently recording. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 10:25:05 -0400 From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) (by way of Michael Batchelder ) Subject: No one gives a damn Rob Grabill wrote: Anyway, This message goes out to the SANE people reading. With very few a TMBG concert (to my knowledge) on the east side, I'm eager to get to a concert somehow. Now this is where you must be sane. How long would I reasonably want to drive for a concert? I mean, taking into consideration gas money and possible sleeping accomidations, how far would I want to go? End of O' Rob the great's posting Hmm... I've been to Boston from Maine to a TMBG concert, which isn't very far. About 3 hours of driving all together. The other two times I saw them, it was like an hour drive, no biggy. Considering I'm not from the city, so an hours drive is something of some substinance, I don't think I would drive anymore then about 5 hours for a show... Now, of course, I have passed up a tmbg show or two a lot closer, but if I was itchin' fer a live perform by john and john, Yes, I would go maybe 5 hours out of my way. Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 10:29:15 -0400 From: Michael Batchelder Subject: Ops on New stuff I don't remember Spir.Shapes that well but I remember it having a slightly bad after taste, to me anyhow... I did love They Got Lost tho. Much more like their older stuff. My cup of tea. mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:16:44 -0500 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: MONO PUFF IS HERE! ............................................................................ ........ "DEAR HELLO SUBSCRIBER, YOUR AUTOGRAPHED LIBRETTO FOR THE MONO PUFF ALBUM IS AT THE PRINTER. SO AS NOT TO DELAY YOUR ORDER, WE WILL SEND IT TO YOU AT A LATER DATE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE. BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR SOUL COUGHING & LAURA CANTRELL IN JUNE AND JULY." That's the first thing I saw when I opened up my copy of the new MONO PUFF cd. It is here, and it it made outta cool! Here are the songs: 1. Guitar Was the Case 2. Unsupervised, I hit My Head 3. Don't Break the Heart 4. Distant Antenna 5. The Devil Went Down to Newport 6. What Bothers the Spaceman? 7. Hello Hello 8. Dr. Kildare 9. So Long, Mockingbird 10. Careless Santa 11. Don't I Have the Right? 12. To Serve Mankind 13. Nixon's the One Although 7 of the songs have already been released, all of the songs on this CD are brand new recordings! (Except Hello Hello, which originally lived on the Hello the Band CD.) I won't tell you how the songs differ from their older versions. That'd spoil all of your fun. But, I can say that Flansburgh is a complete Genius! He's "totally rockin'!" Scott ............................................................................ ........ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 23:32:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Filthy scarecrow Subject: No song called Pearl On this topic of new songs, there is no new song called Pearl. This rumour originated from an April 25 1996 radio interview with Flans in CFNY in Toronto when he named the new song which he thought might be the single. At first listen MrKlaw and I thought he said Pearl but after listening to it again carefully I have determined that the phone line cut out temporarily as Flans said the words "Sing Like A g-"and then came back on as he said "irl" which sounded like Pearl. Supporting evidence: the phone line cut in and out a few other times during the interview causing the DJ to become mildly confused And: Flans went on to perform the song Sing Like A Girl the pause heard on the interview before the utterance "-irl" is just long enough to say "Sing Like A g-" Otherwise it means Flans paused and then coughed out the word Pearl which I do not believe he did. Anyway, Mr Klaw and I started this rumour and I apologise profusely. Thank you. My favourite new songs are They Got Lost and Counterfeit Faker. Later, Mike ------------------------------ From: kucecj@sncac.snc.edu (Christopher J. Kucera) Subject: Re: MTV and Korn Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:36:00 -0500 (CDT) > some other guy goes, "Yeah. and Korn too." hahahaha What are you talking about??? I _love_ Korn! Almost as much as TMBG... Heck, today all I really listened to was TMBG and Korn... Or were you stating something to that fact and I'm just dumb?....... _______________________________________________________________________________ "Within its deep infinity I saw } This philosophical rambling ingathered, and bound by love } brought to you by CJ Kucera: in one volume, the scattered - Dante } kucecj@sncac.snc.edu leaves of all the universe." } http://www.atw.fullfeed.com/~pez ~""`'~"`"~"~`"~"... ---~'~"`"`"~"`'`~'`"'`~"~"~~""~"~"~--- ..."~~'`"`"~'`~"`' ''' --- ... WOW: Nuk ... --- ''' ------------------------------ From: KTUCKER3@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 00:25:54 -0400 Subject: Re: New Album Tracks >Unforgotten >They Got Lost >Spiralling Shape >Certain >Older >Counterfeit Faker >S.E.X.X.Y. >Reprehensible >XTC vs. Adam Ant >On The Drag >How Can I Sing Like A Girl? (aka Hi-C SNAG...:) >Rat Patrol >Pearl* >I Have Learnt The Value Of Human Sacrifice* >Anyway, I'd like to hear opinions from those of you who have >heard these songs. Well, at the concert that I went to May 18th at U of C, we got to hear a lot of the new songs. I have KITH soundtrack, so I already knew "Spiralling Shape". I personally think that that song is awesome and I think (don't quote me on this one) that it is still going strong (something like 28 days in a row) on our station, Q101 in Chicago. I don't listen in the station usually, but I have been just to hear it. Let's see....TMBG also played "Older", "Conterfeit Faker", "XTC vs Adam Ant", "S.E.X.X.Y", and "How Can I Sing Like A Girl". I loved ALL of them! I think that my favorite out of those would be SEXXY, the chorus just got me hooked! But, I also really liked "HCISLA Girl" b/c John forgot the words at the beginning of the song, then had us sing with him for the first line, once he remembered them. I don't know, my insight into the guitars, chords, whatever, will be non-existent. I was having too much fun at the concert to try to remember things like that (and i don't really pay attention usually). So, there's my take on the new songs that I have heard. tucker ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 00:48:44 -0400 From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: Re: Superfueled Freaksickle >> B-Sides (plus collection, sndtrk songs): >> >> Ant >> James K. Polk >> Stormy Pinkness >> I'm Def >[and so on] > > Those aren't B-Sides, they are CD singles. Some definitions: > >Single - A particular song individually released. >Album - A collection of songs released together. >B-sides - Songs never released. > > released == available to be played on the radio. > I was always under the impression that B-sides were the other songs on a single that weren't on the album. The A-side is the single and the B-side is the other song the band sticks on there (in the instances of a two song single). The B-sides on Misc-t were the other songs on the earlier singles + some new songs. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Here is my sig. My sig is here. Don't ask questions of the inquisitor. The end is near. Not the end of the world or the nation or even the day, just the end of my sig. Now we all exist as a series of 1's and 0's. The binary Universe is here. So is my sig. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 01:07:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. simpatico@daccess.net writes: > I *love* the Beautiful South! I never really made the connection > between the two though until now. I recommend to everyone "Welcome to > the Beautiful South", it has really beautiful instrumentation but > really funny lyrics. funny? that album is one of the most depressing ones I own - though I suppose if you take a lot of it at face value it's pretty funny. "i love you, but you're so very, very boring.." try 0898 if you want a really great album. although the theme of belittling women is kinda prevalent, most of their best songs are on there, IMHO. also, it's much more consistent than any of their others.. a lot of Beautiful South could be considered "angst to a 50's beat", as one of my close friends has put it. i love them (and their former counterpart, the Housemartins) almost more than I love TMBG.. their musical style totally betrays the message behind most of their songs, though, which is just amazing at times.. Brianna Corrigan singing about vomitting her guts up through her nose while watching her mother being choked by her father, in a cute little voice, is just amazing.. sigh. i was going to reply further to the weird al thread, but I think I'll wait till there's a post in particular to reply to. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 00:17:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Ray Grabeel Subject: About this weird stuff... On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Chris Bongaarts wrote: > In the immortal words of Frankenberry: > > >they've tried numerous times in interviews to explain that just because > >someone does something different doesn't mean it's weird or silly. it's > > One might argue that indeed, "doing something different" is the > DEFINITION of "weird" and/or "silly". I wouldn't go as far as to say that... I mean, what if you were to wake up one morning and decide to eat Corn Flakes for breakfast instead of the usual Cherrios? That would certainly be different... but weird? I don't think so. Anyways, in regards to TMBG, I once had the discreet privilage of talking to John Linnell (*worship me at your own risk*), and he got to complaining about the general perception that they're trying to be "goofy" or "weird". And he said that TMBG is not about trying to be weird or silly, but it often comes across that way. Then he said that most of the real fans know what TMBG are trying to do and don't find it weird or silly... does anybody agree with this? I don't. You know, I've been a die hard fan for many years now... heck, I would even drink the backwash from Linnell's coffee cup, given the chance... (maybe not), but I'll be the first to tell you that Fingertips is weirdest damn thing I've ever heard. And I'm not sure I know what it is that TMBG is trying do, other than make good music. So anyway, whether they like it or not, most people (even fans) are going to find at least some of their work "weird" or even "silly". And that brings me back to the original point made by Frankenberry: just because someone does something different that doesn't mean it has to be weird or silly. Right. But in TMBG's case, what they want to call "different" often does come across as weird or silly. It's too bad they're annoyed by this, and I hope it doesn't keep them from doing more wei... I mean, different stuff. hanging from a string, Ray ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 01:16:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Deanna Rubin Subject: Re: blahblahblahhhh. + OAT sigh. okay, so i found a post to reply to. :) Frankenberry writes: > firstly, i can't STAND it that the comparison would even be made. i'm > not really even sure if i agree with the idea that tmbg are "silly sounding." they are silly to people who listen to them for the first time, usually. i still have friends who think of them as "those guys on tiny toons", you know. there isn't anything wrong with being silly, really. i think their quirkiness is exactly what's attracted most of the people on this list to them in the first place: good music, and unique. > shoehorn. yes, weird al is funny, but he's not a SERIOUS (by which i do > not mean the opposite of silly) songwriter. secondly, i have, in fact, > heard weird al covered. a small band called swivel cherry covered "my > bologna" about a year ago. i'm wondering what you mean by "SERIOUS", then. does a SERIOUS songwriter write original songs? many original songs? in many different styles? trying different musical techniques to make entertaining songs? complex lyrics? entertaining lyrics? Al does all of this.. I don't see why everyone belittles humor as not being a serious form of songwriting - comedy is infact a very serious thing, when it really comes down to it. (yes, that doesn't make much sense to most of you, but really..) it's odd, I'd expect most people who listen to TMBG to respect Weird Al an awful lot more both for his originality and his brilliance in parody. okay, maybe now i'll decide to shut up about this already, *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- deanna rubin entropy+@CMU.EDU http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~dr4b/ *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #2-157 ******************************